Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Avalanche Care and Maintenance

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    Check out the new Edmunds.com Maintenance Guide! Link is provided in the Additional Resource Box.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• ygmnygmn Posts: 179
    The Avalanche isn't listed in the Maintenance guide yet. Do you know when it will be?
    Sorry about the car care tips but the question was asked and I did post about other brands. I meant no harm but, I meant to inform on how I clean so others can decide for themselves.

Detailing the Avalanche is different then most vehicles due to the plastic and midgate. I was just trying to inform a fellow owner of what I do and the minimum problems I have.

Now back to the greatest vehicle ever!
    I've asked and am waiting for a reply. Hope to hear soon!

Re: car care tips - No problem! :-) I just thought someone might be interested in reading all the vast Zaino knowledge here in the Town Hall.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

Not really a precise answer, but it's the only one I've got.

"2002 model year vehicles are being added as the scheduled maintenance information becomes available. The Avalanche will be added in the near future."

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• cuss1cuss1 Posts: 17
    Will pick up an AV this Friday. From the GM literature, there appears to be a MOLDED and perhaps a REGULAR - flexible mudflap. I'll have the running boards and would like you opinion on which flap works best. I have used factory molded flaps on other vehicles and found they hold up great.

PS - getting a little concerned about purchasing the AV versus leasing now that I have read some of these postings. Any comments on overall quality and you general experience welcomed!
    I installed the molded mud flaps, the window vents, and the bug deflector. I like the look very much. I bought it from the GMPARTS and it is all available as a kit really cheap.

I have had no problems and I love it.
  • Same here. I have the molded mud flaps and they look great and blend in perfectly with the cladding.

I also love my AV and have had no problems with it and I have had mine since July.
  • It sounds like a few people have used 303 on the cladding and have found it to work well. My only question is, where can I find the stuff? I went to Pep Boys, Auto Zone, K.-mart, and several other stores. Nobody carries the stuff.
    Does anyone know of a common store the carries 303? It should be located with the other protectants, right?
    Are there any other products that anyone has actually tried on the cladding and like?
    I've asked another member, Mr. Detailer, your question. Hopefully, he will drop by soon with some helpful info.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

303products.com They sell it online and at a few distributors but not many. West Marine carries it as well I think.

I suggest buying it from their website. It is expensive and there are other UV protectants out there.
    mrdetailer "Subaru Crew - Cleaning Interior & Exterior Surfaces" Nov 2, 2001 10:48am

Here is more info for 303, courtesy of mrdetailer.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• Anybody have pictures of AV with mudflaps, bug deflector, and window vents?

Thanks
  • Yes, check the pictures forum and follow the links.
    Does anyone have any problems yet?

I have NONE after 4.5k miles.

If interested I have my original luggage rack in the bed unopened. I have not had it installed by the dealer yet. Not sure if I want it installed either. Anyone interested speak up.
  • What is the proper procedure for re-seting the "Change Engine Oil" message in the message center. The procedure in the owners manual does not appear to work.

Thanks
  • Turn key forward, do not start engine.
    press pedal (accelerator) 6 times as fast as you can. turn key to off, and your done.
    When you start your engine light SHOULD be gone.
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    the manual states 3 times in 5 seconds, which has always worked for me. Maybe it should say "at least 3 times".
    I followed the instructions in the manual (3 times) - worked fine - just give the indicator a few seconds to flash once you've floored the accelerator 3 times.
    Have you noticed now that we have salty spray on winter roads that the engine compartment gets really dirty? Other vehicles I own(ed) have a gasket at the front lip of the hood to seal the salt spray from entering the engine compartment. I suppose I could fabricate a similar gasket. Why did Chevy cut yet another corner?

Would the GM Bug Shield cover the hood / grill gap and block all of that spray from entering the engine compartment?