Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• monsterdog2monsterdog2 Member Posts: 5
    I have 03 Elantra and the center console cup holders are too close together to hold 2 dunkin donuts coffee cups at the same time. This is a huge problem for me and my spouse. We don't smoke and with the driver-side change holder don't need the ashtray at all. Anyone know if someone makes an ashtray to cupholder converter that would work with the 03 Elantra? Hyundai doesn't appear to.

Thanks.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Do you realize each front door pocket has a bottle holder in the front of the pocket? Maybe you can adapt that. I've been able to put all kinds of things in the bottle holders.
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    I haven't had much luck with putting bottles in the front door pockets. They are really nice for holding some CDs and my coupon holder, though : )
  • mbraytonmbrayton Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks,
    2001 Hyundai Elantra. Does anyone know where I could find a spot to bring a couple of wires through the firewall? CB Radio has to be hooked directly to battery. I don't want to drill if I don't have to. Any help would be great.

Thank you,
    Marc
  • timmythebonetimmythebone Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know where I can get a moon roof deflector for 2005 GT? Thanks.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    I would recomend using a fuse tap instead of making any new holes. Go to Radio Shack. They'll be able to explain to you how to use it.
  • timmythebonetimmythebone Member Posts: 18
    Got a price of $65 plus tax for a 2005 GT sedan sunroof deflector through dealer? Has anyone gotten it lower elsewhere?
  • panda_truenopanda_trueno Member Posts: 5
    I am still debating on whether I should look for a 2000 or 2001 elantra GLS. It is important to me to be able to modify this car. I have heard many peoples inputs on modifications from this forum and others. However the vast majority of these modifications are 2001+ and if anyone could inform me, which of these modifications if any also apply to the 2000 elantra.

On one side i think the 00' and 01' elantra's will not have compatible modifications due to the change in design of the 01' from the 00', on the other side I am lead to believe that the modifications (of the peperformanceariety, sususpensionengine...) will be compatible because the 01's apappearo be using the same 140hp engine.

Any answer, preferably ASAP, would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. yes i am a NOOB ;) , when it comes to making cars faster,
    but hey what can i say i like to quickly and under control.
    I would go for an 01 with mods in mind. The chassis is improved (stiffer), The Beta engine now has quite a few improvments available (including turbo kits and nitrous). Have you given Elantraxd a visit? They cover mods for both gens. On my own 01 GT I've kept the mods low profile and returnable to stock:

B&M short shift kit
    Tib rear sway bar
    HID headlight system with projectors
    K&N
    Bosch +4
    etc.
  • panda_truenopanda_trueno Member Posts: 5
    5port,

thanks for the info on what makes the 00' diff. from the 01'. I have checked Elantraxd however when i am looking up the mods and in the areas were they show you how to do it yourself kinda thing, it seemed to me that they didnt really specify what model the modification would work for.

I did finally purchase an Elantra, it is an 00' because it was the best i could find for the money i had and the value of the car. Meaning all the 01's i looked at where trashed.

I was thinking of modifying mostly in the areas that affect stability and handling the most. I have considered the Tib rear sway bar and maybe some rims/alloy wheels (anything to replace the stock wheels with hubcaps "yuck").

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------

would anyone know how an upgraded chip would effect an 00' elantra? I know it is supposed to vary based on what other mods that have been installed, but suppose no other under the hood mods were installed what benefits would i get with a chip?

Thanks all

panda_trueno
  • andy_kandy_k Member Posts: 2
    hey i just bought a 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS and the dealer found a remote for it, but it wasnt programed, can someone plz help me out with this, and tell me how to progam it?!?! :P
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If the dealer found it for you, why didn't they program it? To my knowledge, the remotes are not owner-programmable as are some remotes. And if you have two remotes, you need both of them to program them so they both work (I learned that the hard way...).
    Coding the remote for the Elantra :

http://egt.gwebworks.com/garage4.shtml
    Thanks for that link. I should clarify that when I said "not user programmable", I meant with no screwdrivers, razor blades etc.--just using the remotes themselves.
  • andy_kandy_k Member Posts: 2
    thanks guys
  • jkobbjkobb Member Posts: 51
    Hi People , I just ordered a 13 inch rubber duck antenna to replace the factory one on my 05 GLS Elantra . I hope the reception is still as good as the factory unit .They say they have a 30 day money back warranty .They are supposed to just screw on like the original , should only take a few minutes to switch out. I think it will look better and be less prone to damage. This is where I got mine Antennax.com . I payed $14.99 plus shipping. I should see it in a couple weeks, will let you know about the reception from it. :)
    Been there done that. I've got that antenna in the closet if you want it for free. Reception is horrible. Bought it on Ebay for about the same price. I just went to AntennaX to verify and yup same one. Also after a long highway trip the Antenna would go limp and stay bent in an inverted L shape. Looked horrible.

I went to Pep Boys and bought their Universal Replacement Antenna. Its a 17" black fiberglass rod with wire wrapped around it. Wire and antenna are covered with black shrink tubing. Looks good,works great. You need the adapter from the rubber antenna to make it fit the Elantra. Pix Here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/xlr8also/ant1.jpg
    Thanks , 5port but I already placed the order . It should be here before to long . I guess I`ll just give it a chance most of my local fm stations that I listen to come in strong . I was more concerned with the few am stations, how they would come in .I`ll keep my original antenna, just in case. My old car had the antenna in the glass and the am signal kind of sucked .
  • intharuffintharuff Member Posts: 1
    I put my Pioneer DEH-P3000 in mine. I bought an adapter for the auxiliary input on ebay for $10 and spent another $15 on a Ground Loop Isolator (to knock out the alternator noise that I got when I hooked something via RCA plugs to the aux adapter) and it works great! I ran the wire out of the bottom of the ashtray "drawer" and it has a mini-plug that I connect to my XM Roady. You could connect that to MP3 players, iPods, also.
    Well I put the new antenna on and the reception is still just fine . I guess time will tell if I get that bent L thing going on, so far its ok . I think it looks sharp also.
  • damiensaigedamiensaige Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1993 elantra with a 1.6L and i want to put a 1.8L head and fuel system on top of it. is this possible and what can i expect for a gain?
    I bought a new Elantra gls about a month and a half back . It was the only white one in stock and had the options I wanted except for the mudflaps. I noticed on other cars that had the flaps they were a $60 option. You would think they would be the same price when you buy them through the parts department , but they run more. Does this make any sense ? I did receive a coupon fron Hyundai for $10 off on accsessories, so I went to the dealer and ordered them, they should be in any day now.Anyway do you folks think they should be the same price as the the window sticker price? Don`t forget they had to pay someone to put those on at the factory.
    Will the K&N filters help in gas mileage and power or are they not worth it ? :confuse: I`m really not concerned with the fact they don`t have to be replaced just cleaned.
    Call the parts department back and ask how much the mud flaps cost.
    1) No they will not noticably help in gas mileage.

2) Yes they will give slightly more power only above 4000 RPM.

3) Worth it? up to you.
    The flaps are $69 plus tax from dealer . On the cars on the lot that had them they were a $60 option . I would think that the dealer wouldn`t charge more than $60.I installed them myself , no big deal, but with the cars on the lot that had them, of course, they are already installed for that $60 .
    I`m thinking its not worth it . If I can get an aftermarket filters such as Fram from the car stores at a fourth of the price.
  • miccemicce Member Posts: 1
    I got a new 2005 Silver Elantra 5door automatic about four weeks ago. So far I have tagged on a set of 17" black 6 star shooter rims with 2" yokohomas, bairly legal black tint, and manufacturer mud flaps and spoiler. I'm very pleased with this car, handles like a dream, and has a very nice acceleration. I would like to tag on some aftermarket engine items though, i.e. cool air intake, new exaust, and then some more exterior and interior, i.e. bumpers and side skirts, racing seats, pedals. The only problem is, I can't find any manufacturers for Elantra's. I found intakes on ebay, which is a good deal, but I'm not sure how to install those myself (I'll do research or something). Any Ideas on where I can purchace some more Aftermarket upgrades?

Thanks in advanced.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Check with your dealer's parts department. Hyundai has its own line of performance parts that can be purchased through the dealer and even installed by the dealer if you wish. They are called H.A.R.D. parts (Hyundai Auto Racing Division I believe.) Don't be discouraged if your dealer doesn't know this though. Hyundai doesn't really push this too much.
  • kennylkennyl Member Posts: 1
    Try www.sharkracing.com. They have a lot of stuff for Hyundai cars. I got my exhaust there, it was not cheap, but it was well worth it. A lot better than ebay crap...
  • doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    When car shopping, I saw mention on several forums of people getting damage from debris kicking up from the road, coming through the holes under the bumper and damaging things, like the a/c condensor (or is that the evaporator). Whatever it is, I didn't want mine to get hurt. So I installed mesh in the lower openings of the air dam. I thought it looked a little odd with the lower openings silver (I used galvanized gutter guard mesh from Home Depot), so I put some behind the upper grill as well. I think it looks nice on my Red Rocket!

• 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    Looks good. We haven't had any problems with my wife's Elantra in regards to road debris (knock-on-wood). However, my Mitsubishi Outlander has a huge opening on the front of it. I may copy your handy work on my Outlander (provided you haven't copyrighted it yet).
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    jkobb,

How do you like your 05 Elantra GLS so far?
    Is your car a manual tranny or automatic?

If it's an automatic, is accelleration good enough getting
    up to speed and merging on freeway onramps?
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    I'd like to hear from any of you who have a 2005 or 2006 Elantra GLS
    or GT. I would like to know if you think the car accellerates well with the
    automatic or if it's sluggish? Consumer critics think the Elantra is sluggish
    with the automatic.
    Not quite sure which "consumer critics" comments you read. Consumer Reports, for example, said of the Elantra automatic, "... acceleration is on a par with other small sedans" (specifically, the Civic, Focus, and ION). They also said the engine "gives adequate performance".

I have both the 5-speed ('01, 135 hp) and automatic ('04, 138 hp CVVT--same engine as on the '05/'06). The 5-speed is a little quicker but the automatic is no slouch and I am pleased with its performance as a family sedan. I never have to floor it to accelerate onto freeways. In fact, I rarely have it over 4000 rpms. It is an adaptive automatic. If you tend to floor it, it will learn to shift more quickly.

If you want a slightly quicker car in this class, the Cobalt is probably the quickest (1.5 seconds quicker 0-60 than the Elantra in CR's tests), with the Mazda3i not far behind. But the Elantra is rated higher overall by CR than the Cobalt, and I'd rather have the Elantra than the Cobalt myself. The Mazda3i will cost a few thousand more comparably equipped compared to the '06 Elantra.
    The car with the most debree related damage is the Acura RSX. I havent heard of an Elantra with a punctured radiator or AC condensor. Your mod gives the Elantra a special look. It also reduces airflow, something I would be concerned about in Texas.
    If it's an automatic, is accelleration good enough getting up to speed and merging on freeway onramps?

Just so you know, I am coming from a Ford Aspire with 63 hp and a 5-speed MT. That said, the Elantra pretty much flies with the AT as far as I'm concerned.
    It also reduces airflow, something I would be concerned about in Texas.

I'll keep an eye on my temp gage. ;)
    Mods to my car in the first week and a half:

1. Pioneer Head unit
    2. Pioneer CD changer
    3. Grill mesh added to openings below bumper and behind stock grill. Galvanized "gutter guard" from home improvement store, anchored with tie straps.
    4. Triple-tone horn. Stock horn plus dual-note Nissan horn added from junkyard. Sounds very loud, angry & Euro.
    5. Next up: Tiburon rear sway bar.
    Future mods you might consider:

1) Fumoto oil change valve.

2) Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs (I went full-on HID with projectors)

3) K&N Filtercharger

4) B&M short shift kit (manual cars)

5) Pep Boys Universal Replacement Antenna (17" Black spiral wound antenna) needs adapter to fit.

I did the Tib sway bar and the horn mod. Both good ones and easy to do. Keep modding!
    Future mods you might consider:

1) Fumoto oil change valve.

I've thought about that but I want to see how the first few oil changes go. If I end up taking it in for oil changes, I'd be afraid the guy will not figure out the valve and simply unscrew the whole thing!

2) Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs (I went full-on HID with projectors)
    Maybe down the road, but I'm very satisfied with the stock lights at present. I doubt I would go with projectors at any rate.

3) K&N Filtercharger
    Is that a CAI?

4) B&M short shift kit (manual cars)
    AT here... sorry.

5) Pep Boys Universal Replacement Antenna (17" Black spiral wound antenna) needs adapter to fit.
    Will consider it. Do they have a picture online anywhere (I hate their website). do you get the adapter at Pep Boys too?

I did the Tib sway bar and the horn mod. Both good ones and easy to do. Keep modding!

I ordered the sway bar from the dealer, plus bushings, for $110 tax included. I have the plastic end links currently, but I bet I can find some steel ones in a junk yard. Even without the metal end links, I think there will be a big improvement and the metal end links are more for durability concerns (I'm not sure what the design margins are on the plastic ones).
    3) K&N Filtercharger is a washable air filter element that replaces the stock filter element in the Elantra air box. Costs about $36. You wash and then re-oil the filter about every 30K miles.

5) Pep Boys URA antenna cost about $15 and needs the adapter that comes with the Euro antenna that is selling on Ebay. Unscrew the adapter on the Euro and screw it onto the bottom of the URA. Here is a pix of mine:

http://tinyurl.com/bttcg

I paid $75 for the sway bar and bushings from Lia Hyundai in Conn. I have the metal end links. You should be able to use the plastic links (the metal just makes it a peace of mind thing). The sway bar swap took all of about 30 minutes on my back in the driveway with no ramps or jacks. Make sure you lube the inside of the bushings with some kind of lube so you wont get squeaks. I used synthetic marine lubricant (waterproof).

BTW you will notice a marked improvement on turn-in response with the new rear sway bar. Turn-in is more crisp. Rear stays flatter.
    $75? Sweet. Unfortunately this is Bubba, Texas. The dealership is a joint dealership with Dodge, which they seem to be more concerned with. They're nice enough folks, but the just don't get kimchi cars.

Where did ya get the lube? Boating store?
    >>>Where did ya get the lube? Boating store?

Pep Boys.
    Thanks!
    Just so people can admire my grill work at night: The backlit grill!

I picked up the Tiburon sway bar and bushings this afternoon and put them on tonight. It literally took about 10 minutes (bear in mind it's still brand new and would take longer if the car was grimy). I still have the stock (plastic) sway bar end links though. I am looking into buying a set of metal ones online, maybe next week.

The difference is noticeable, but not as pronounced as I had hoped. On the other hand, if I took it off and put the stock bar back on, I bet the handling would feel terrible in comparison. It feels a little better in the turns, but it also feels a LOT more in control.
  • rjeskeyrjeskey Member Posts: 29
    Forget my question in the other forum. I just read my answer here. Thank you! :shades:
  • rjeskeyrjeskey Member Posts: 29
    My Elantra has Traction Control. Should that be on all the time? Or should I shut it off on certain road conditions. The reason I ask is because it has an on/off button. And doohickie can you work on my car? I like the ideas you come up with!
  • carchick415carchick415 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I have an 05 Elantra that I just got a few months ago I love it and now its time for mods. I love the way that mesh looks but it also looks pretty hard to do was it? How long did it take? Where did you say you got it from? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.