Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CR-V vs Saturn VUE

Comments

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Base Pilot is close to 2X the price of a base VUE. I doubt there is a lot of cross shopping though I guess the V6 model would only be about C$12000 less than the Pilot.

:-)
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    When compared to a large mid-size vehicle like the Pilot, it makes no sense. However, when compared against something like the Montero Sport, Rodeo, and even the Highlander, it doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Personally, I don't agree with C&D's category-based-on-length theory, but the distinction between mini-suvs and mid-sized suvs is a fuzzy thing. I guess you've got to draw a line somewhere.
  • Options
    vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    I think C&D should have put the Vue where it competes anyway.

Oh well, not a big deal I guess. Given our experience with the Vue I'm sure it will sell well regardless of what magazines do. We love our Vue.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looks like the VUE wins the 5 MPH crash test, but neither result is worth writing home about.

IIHS link

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    The CR-V repairs cost almost 2x the VUE but I wonder how much of that has to do with Honda charging more for parts than Saturn. I know from my old Honda that the dealers charge a pretty penny for parts.

I think both vehicles did very well in crash injury tests over all though. I hear the new Camry did very poor which is a big surprise.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good point - I'd rather have lousy bumper test results than lousy injury test scores. Be careful backing up out there though!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Good crash tests are indeed good news. Saturn seems to push the safety issue so I guess it would look bad if they had poor results.
  • Options
    wenbwenb Member Posts: 45
    I think the Vue looks good.I would not buy a Vue because it is best in class. The thing that appeals to me is the base car config and price.I give Saturn alot of credit for offering a model that people without a lot of cash can buy with A/C included that will get the job done.Also If I did buy one the plastic side panels and fenders would be a major reason. The ability to look new longer is no small issue. You pay your hard earned cash an slowly see your car nicked and dented to death.My initial preference would be a smaller vehicle like Suzuki SX. However I will give the Vue consideration for above reason.Also when you do your reaserch, keep in mind the dates of the info. Some of the initial impression come from early or pre production models.
  • Options
    daveghhdaveghh Member Posts: 495
    According to consumer reports the CRV is better off road! I am going to tak e my 02 CRV offroading today to test her out! How has the VUE experience been offroad???
  • Options
    whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    They gave the Honda the advantage of a manual tranny, so it had the fastest accel times. But the comparison was really between the CRV and Escape (Winner). The Vue was too noisy, and no fun. The CRV's rear door was picked on, because the Escape's is better. Wish they included the Liberty.
  • Options
    Having driven all three I would say it's pretty hard to pick one. They are in my view, all good choices. It's really preference (features/looks/configurations), dealer experience and price as I think they all do what they are suppose to fairly well. I didn't think the V6 VUE was any more noisy than Escape but whatever. One strike against the CR-V for me is there is no FWD version in Canada and I would not likely want an AWD.
  • Options
    We obviously choice the Vue but we liked the CR-V about the same. I think the Escape lost out because of the recalls and the fact the local Ford seller is not all that great to deal with. Escape is a good truck though and the recall issues are probably behind them. We chose the Vue for looks, peppy V6, fantastic dealer treatment and space. So far we are very happy and have not had any issues with 8K on the dial.
  • Options
    crv4me2crv4me2 Member Posts: 15
    I have friends from Ohio that recently came down in their Saturn Vue. We really liked the car, and shortly thereafter went to Saturn and test drove both the V6 and 4cyl. I thought both of them were O.K., but on a hot summer Atlanta day, we could not get cool from the air conditioning at full power in either vehicle.

Shortly thereafter I stopped by Honda and test drove the CR-V and, aaaaahhhhh, what a difference. Everything worked top notch, it looks nicer overall inside and out, and I didn't get a headache trying to add up options that we wanted - they were already included. Came home and did my research which only confirmed the CR-V was the better purchase. Several weeks later, we are now the proud owners of a silver 2002 CR-V EX.

Saturn is trying and the Vue is a nice vehicle, but its not the quality of the CR-V. Not at this time anyway.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    The VUE is a brand new model this year. Honda has had years to get the CR-V right. Having driven both there are things I like about each. I think they are very close competitors over all and it really boils down to personal preference. The one thing that will likely keep the CR-V off our list is that they don't offer a FWD version up here in the great white north.
  • Options
    mmspealmmspeal Member Posts: 122
    I thought the air was weak when I first got my VUE, however not ever owning a Saturn before, I wasn't powering it up correctly. You have to hit the snowflake and then once it is cooling hit the recirculate so that you aren't constantly cooling hot air from outside, it just recools what is already inside and cool. This is a good energy saver and once I was doing it right, the VUE actually gets very chili inside.
  • Options
    bascottbascott Member Posts: 27
    That is the second time I have seen a post saying the CRV is not front wheel drive. It is FWD until the front wheels slip, then its AWD.
  • Options
    Bascott - I think Dindak wants a FWD only model. He doesn't want to pay for AWD. Here in the US, buyers can opt for an LX model that does not have RT4WD. In Canada, Honda does not offer that option.
  • Options
    That's right. I like the idea of AWD, but I know I don't really need it. Vue comes in both V6 and 4 cyl config. with FWD only which is nice. Who knows though, maybe if commissions pick up in the coming year or two I will just for the AWD.
  • Options
    crv4me2crv4me2 Member Posts: 15
    So wait, you're telling me that I drove two Vues with weak A/C and all I had to do was push a couple buttons and it would work fine? Then why didn't the salesman sitting and sweating in the back seat mention it? In fact, when we got out of the second vehicle, he tried to steer us over to the Saturn station wagons telling us that the A/C worked in those vehicles much better. Now maybe they've been asked to push sales on the wagons, but we weren't interested. And maybe it was just the 2 vehicles that we drove that had weak A/C, who knows? I don't think I've heard too many complaints about the Vue's A/C overall.

I think the CR-V and the Vue are very comparable vehicles, and time will tell when it comes to reliability for the Saturn. I also happen to like the CR-V's styling much better than the Vue's. Especially the front end. I'm not very tall, so the side swing rear door on the CR-V was much easier for me to close than the high lift on the Saturn's tail. Also, I like the independent glass opening on the CR-V. I have small dogs, and its much easier to put them inside and lift them out through that opening.

I just came out of a V-6 engine and was really looking to go back to a 4cyl and found the CR-V to have plenty of power. Overall, the V has everything I was looking for. Its a great vehicle.
  • Options
    mmspealmmspeal Member Posts: 122
    My sales person didn't know either, even the service guy said he'd look at it when I took it in for an oil change - I actually learned this from the driver of their courtesy shuttle (which is a VUE). He showed me the day he drove me home while they were looking at it. I find it odd that the sales person didn't know or show me when I bought it as she was very knowledgable about the rest of the vehicle.
  • Options
    Back in 98, I had a Honda salesperson try to demonstrate the bed feature using the only the driver's seat. They stated that it didn't work for the passenger (because the passenger lacked tilt adjust for the seat cushion). I had to instruct them about the use of all four seats. Obviously, they misread the Honda prep kit. It happens.

I had the chance to drive another '02 CR-V this weekend. I am still impressed with how strong that little four banger is. 160hp does not do the driving experience justice. It feels like more.
  • Options
    I never thought the 4 banger in the old CR-V was all that bad either. I still have to try a CVT 4 cyl VUE at some point to see how the power is there, they are finally available. VUE with the 4 cyl/ 5-speed was fine but I have never driven any CVT equipped vehicle before and it should be interesting to see how it pulls an SUV..
  • Options
    unlucky13unlucky13 Member Posts: 7
    I drove the cvt vue and thought it was horrible. I wanted to like it, but it was too annoying. It can not get out of it's own way. I realize that a cvt will take some getting used to but I am sure I would regret owning it at every freeway on-ramp.
  • Options
    What is annoying about it? What do you mean it's horrible?

In terms of power, what are you comparing it to?

I have read just the opposite to what you just said in a couple of car mags so could you clarify.
  • Options
    The driving 'experience' is horrible. The cvt takes all the fun out of driving for 2 reasons:
    1-You do not get the rpm build up and feel of acceleration due to the cvt running at its most efficient speed constantly. But you get plenty of noise. 2- It is underpowered - period. It seemed always out of breath. I would say it is slower than a '97 protege auto (91 hp).Please note I will probably buy a v6 VUE soon, I love the truck, I own a 95 SL1 and dispite many, many initial factory defects in the first 5000 miles it has been trouble free up to 80K. Also note that I really want more than 180 hp. Any more info on that honda v6 ? When????
  • Options
    I read a long review in a Canadian car magazine 2 months ago and they had nothing but good things to say about the power and smoothness. They said once you get used to the absence of shifts, it was a great set up.

Did you drive a FWD or an AWD? I'm guessing an AWD might be a little underpowered with a 143hp engine.
  • Options
    Just a post to get this back in the top 50.
  • Options
    I was at the local Saturn dealer getting an oil change last week and tested a CVT 4 cyl Vue. While it's power was not as good as our V6 Vue, i thought it was ok and certainly don't think it's as bad as you are making it out to be. The no shift sensation certainly would take some getting used to though.

I think other people should try one and give their feedback.
  • Options
    I see in the Vue forum Saturn is offering 0% for 60 months on the Vue. Definitely good for new buyers. Too bad we already bought.

Certainly makes the Vue look even more attractive than it already was.
  • Options
    uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    I am looking at these two. The Honda seems to be the better buy. For about the price of a 4WD CR-V EX, you get a FWD V6 VUE. The CR-V has a bigger back seat, standard sunroof, standard side air bags, standard alloy wheels, standard ABS, a "Best Pick" designation by the IIHS, and better mileage. I know the V6 VUE has more power and a standard automatic transmission, so that will lower mileage a little on the Saturn. I'm torn because our trade is a 1999 SL2 that has given us no problems at all. We also had a 1995 SL2 that performed perfectly. I like my local Saturn store. The buying experience was very easy and the service department personnel is nice and helpful. I'm also sure the Saturn dealer will give me more for my trade than the Honda store; and, I have a good current history with GMAC, so better financing may be possible with the Saturn. Maybe? Basically, I feel as though Saturn has done nothing to make them lose my business, I just like the CR-V a little more. Any thoughts on what readers bought and if they would buy again?
  • Options
    soasoassoasoas Member Posts: 3
    In November, 2002 I traded in my 1998 SL2 for a CR-V EX. I too felt like Saturn had done nothing to lose my business (except for $600 worth of repair 6 month out of warranty). I was always treated with respect and courtesy at my Saturn dealer. The VUE was my second choice (my son's first). What swayed me were the safety kudos you mentioned, a tad bit better fit & finish, and the overall value that you mentioned. Don't think you can go wrong. Do some back-to-back-to-back test drives, then wait a week to see which vehicle you find yourself wishing you were in while tooling down the road in your SL2. I'm sure $ will also play a part (if it didn't I'd be in an MDX). Good Luck; I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose.
  • Options
    Better deals on the VUE right now with 0% financing.

They are both excellent vehicles and both recommended by Consumers Reports. You won't go too wrong either way.
  • Options
    uga91uga91 Member Posts: 1,065
    I appreciate the input. Both have their pros and cons. We'll just see which fits better.
  • Options
    Let us know what u get.
  • Options
    We liked both, but in the end the polymer doors, V6 and sales experience sold us on the Vue. We also liked the Escape, but really you can't go too wrong with any of these choices. They are all good vehicles.
  • Options
    Did you ever buy an SUV?
  • Options
    fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    Last Friday, I bought a new 2003 Vue Sport Plus II from the local dealer. I traded in my 1999 Ranger XLT 4 door and got a higher value for it than I could find elsewhere in the SUV market. Combine that with a $2000 rebate, plus a bargain priced special option package and it appears to be a real winner. This is a great time in the automotive market for buying. A friend bought a CRV near the end of last November. All things considered, I may have gotten the bigger bang for the buck. I am advised that the Honda is an excellent vehicle, but in my opinion the Vue is far more comfortable to drive, especially a long distance.
  • Options
    bgabel1260bgabel1260 Member Posts: 135
    I test drove a CVT 4cyl Vue yesterday just on a whim. The overall experience can be summed up as "blah". Biggest criticisms? Incredibly overboosted steering (I thought the wheel had become disconnected...it was like spinning a video game wheel) and very questionable build quality. The interior design is clean but the plastics really look cheap and the unit I drove (167 miles on the odo) already had an incessant rattle somewhere up front.

The dealer really wanted me to buy the car (pushing the limits of "no hassle" Saturn dealership policy I'd say) but I think they are desperate. They had 25 Vues on the lot and only 1 other customer in the showroom...pretty dead for a Saturday afternoon I think.

The CR-V is tops on my list. It's just another well-positioned product from a car company that rarely misfires.
  • Options
    The V6 is a better choice IMO. CVT may have some issues from what I have heard. As for the VUE over all, it's selling very well and it's crash tests and reliability are just as good as CR-V according to Consumer Reports. Some of the interior plastic bits are a bit cheap though.
  • Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    CR doesn't list the VUE's reliability as being as good as the CR-V. The VUE is too new to make an actual statement but, they predict reliability (based upon current Saturn vehicles) as average. The CR-V's reliability per CR is listed (based upon current Honda vehicles AND the earlier version of the CR-V) as above average.
  • Options
    The Vue I test drove already had developed an incessant rattle somewhere in the dash or windshield area. The vehicle only had 167 miles on the odometer. I think it's a red flag when a new unit starts making noises like that. I've heard the argument "oh, you have to let the plastic break in" but I wouldn't place $20K on that bet.
  • Options
    Bgabel1260 ::: Likely a fluke. Hardly any Vue owners have rattles and ours is rattle free (and trouble free) for more than a year.

Ivci ::: Last check with CR, average reliability and top marks for crash tests. We love our Vue and the dealer service is better than Honda by a long shot. That said, we liked the CR-V also, another great choice.
  • Options
    According to the CR website (last updated in March 2003), the Vue is just above average at about 8%, while the CR-V is about 32% above average. They base these findings on three years worth of data for the particular model. They need 100 surveys per year to make a reasonable ranking. If they don't get that many, they say so. Data for the whole line of cars is not taken into account.
  • Options
    Personally, the service at my local Honda shop is great. Much better than the Pontiac dealers I had to use with my 86 Fiero 2M6. (6 dealers none good.)

I was 16 and they all knew me by name. They'd lie and tell me things weren't covered under my GMPP extended warranty.

They spilled battery acid on the side of my car and told me it was acid rain. They ruined the parking brake and told me they'd just cut the line, I didn't need it. They charged me for parts they didn't replace. They lied. And lied. And then, they lied some more.

Of course my local Honda shop's sales force are a bunch of cretins. But, the service department is an absolute dream. It's a Penske dealer (UAG) so hopefully they get the sales part down too. I've bought 3 Honda's in the last 3 years, none of them from the dealer 5 miles from my home.

Service is like a box of chocolates...
  • Options
    fleetwoodsimcafleetwoodsimca Member Posts: 1,518
    Consumer Reports does not attempt to rank new models for reliability, other than an occasional guess or prediction. The FIRST model year of Vue was 2002, and the second year is now midstream. This is known as a new model. Get the drift? In my case, I just couldn't go with the proprietary products that Honda controls on their trucks and cars, as well as eccentric designs that further make aftermarket products unavailable and/or quite expensive compared to other brands. I am no real fan of GM, but they out class the foreign brand name car dealers and service departments, as does Ford. Chrysler has been included on the good guy list, but is now tied up with Daimler in a way that may have altered that.
  • Options
    Heh, heh. I think that's why Hondas are problem-free vehicles. They work closely with their suppliers to make sure third party components fit into their cars like a glove. Same thing with Toyota (and probably several others). The Japansese are "notorious" for constantly refining the build process and fixing problems early on (rather adopt the Ford end-user-tested, recall-to-fix-the-bugs mentality).
  • Options
    bgabel1260 : "I think that's why Hondas are problem-free vehicles" LOL. Tell that to my old neighbor who had to have his transmission replace in his 1 yr old Accord. Dream on.

icvci : You are right, you never know what you will get. I hear horror stories about the service at the Honda dealer next to my office. Saturn dealers are on average better than almost any though.

varmit : Ya, the CR-V is a bit better but in the end it's not a big difference. Buy what you like, they are both good vehicles.
  • Options
    Tell that to my old neighbor who had to have his transmission replace in his 1 yr old Accord. Dream on.

If it was a million dollar bet, which would you put your money on, a fault free Saturn or a fault free Honda? And no, you don't get any odds. The reliability studies don't lie, you're better bet would be with Honda.

I just couldn't go with the proprietary products that Honda controls on their trucks and cars, as well as eccentric designs that further make aftermarket products unavailable and/or quite expensive compared to other brands.

You must be kidding? Honda has one of the largest and best aftermarket followings of any brand. If you want it you can find it. And if you want it at a good price, you just have to look.

Ya, the CR-V is a bit better but in the end it's not a big difference. Buy what you like, they are both good vehicles.

Buy what you like is good advice. I don't see how we can determine how close they are in terms of quality yet though.
  • Options
    That's probably their biggest black mark in the past decade. They paired the wrong transmission with the V6...the tranny couldn't handle all the torque and they failed at a high rate. The 1998 V6 Accords were affected the most but the problems decreased in the 1999+ models. Yes, bad for Honda but at least the problem was identifiable, unlike the phantom electrical problems that still haunt Fords and Volkswagens. <shudder>

Toyota also had a big problem with engine sludge in some of their V6s. It seems no manufacturer is free from major error.

So if you can't trust Honda/Toyota, who are you going to go with? I'll take my chances with these quality leaders, thank you.
This discussion has been closed.