Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus SC 430

Comments

• love2drivelove2drive Member Posts: 2
    I posted the following in message Number 404 in October of last year.

I often get the sulphur smell caused by unburned gas in the catalytic converter. This is almost always after heavy acceleration. Dealer says this isn't a problem, it's probably caused by the fuel I burn. I run Union 76 supreme.

I received responses to change the fuel I used. I've tried every auto fuel on the market without success. I have had the car back to the dealer three times and they "can't find anything wrong". Every time I put the car under heavy acceleration I get the smell. I'm learning to put the windows up before I stomp on the gas. I think this is ridiculous for a $60K plus car and am becoming more and more disenchanted with Lexus every day. It's just too bad the 350Z can't carry a set of golf clubs. However, the Infinity G35 Coupe looks like a winner. I think I will dump my 430 at the end of the year for a G35. Too bad I bought it instead of leasing it. On another note, my windshield was cracked by a flying rock. I've been waiting 7 weeks now for a replacement. I'm looking forward to my next survey from JD Powers.
  • damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    My experience has been the the amount of "stink" has more to do with that particular car, then the gasoline used. One SC430 may have no smell whatsoever, while the next may stink. I got stuck with the stinky Tercel in 1984. My brother's (same car exactly) did not stink at all. It has to do wit the catalytic converter. Unfortunately, these things are not usually covered by warranty. My suggestion would be to let them know that you are unsatisfied with the car and start a "case" with Toyota directly (not the dealer). Then take your car to the dealer, park it upwind from an area where people are, and let it idle and produce as much stink as possible. This works great on a busy weekend if you can park your car right at the showroom enterance. When people comment on the stink, just tell them you bought your car here and the dealership told you that it is normal.....
  • bambam41bambam41 Member Posts: 1
    Have just said goodby to my SC430 after 25 months and 12800 miles. Before I sold it I had to replace the tires because the rear suspension was not set right at the dealer and the rears wore on the inside badly. The fronts had about 2-3k left per the dealer. He did give me a littler credit for new tires which brought him down to the NTW price. I just could not offer it for sale with the bad tires. But heres the important part. The new Bridgestones have a rubber curb just outside the rim which protects the rim from getting abused on a parallel curb. Nice. But the real news is that the new tires were MUCH more comfortable(softer) on street bumps. Had I had these tires in the beginning, I would have been much happier. They are the same Bridgestones that came stock but it looks that they have been re-engineered all for the good.Anyone should look at the new tires before opting out. I am offering this info because the forum has been so helpful for the last 2 years. I no longer have the car(new RX330) but want those out there to know.
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    I almost baught an sc430. At the time I placed the order they didn`t have one to physically see. Around a month before the car was to be delivered I got to drive one. The run flat tires were poor so I got the ls again. It is a shame some of you are disapointed as life is too short to put up with a poor product(tire) Tony
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    You can replace the tires with something you like better. I have never heard of making a decision about a car based on the tires that are on it. I bet if you asked, the dealer would change the tires out to whatever you want if you pay the difference.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    are concerned, with this car they make or break it. Specifically, the run-flats break it. The ride leaves much to be desired. Replacing them is an expensive proposition and renders the pressure sensors invalid. I've yet to find a dealer that would replace them when I was looking at the car. Good luck.
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    If you are not satisfied with the overall experience, I have found it is best to move on. I am not trying to make any comparison, just being honest with myself. Tony
  • ipsadoodleipsadoodle Member Posts: 35
    Well, I have written several times about my displeasure over the run flats on my 2002 Lexus SC430...finally after 3 months of investigation and talking directly to other owners who made the change.I bought new DunlopRF...last Friday /amd the car rides 50% better..and best of all..no more pulling..all in all I would say the overall performance of these tires is 98% better..I wrote Lexus and spoke several times with customer satisfaction...they would not do anything..the dealer would not do anything.....this is my 4th Lexus.my next car.;well we will see..Irv
    Aft3 months investigation, I finally put a new set of Dunlop 'RF on last friday..the car rides at least 50% better and the pulling is 98% eliminated..cost was $1107 Lexus refused to do anything about it..car has 11,000 miles..all I can say is I WAS GIPPED. complained about these tires from the week I bought the car..this is my 4th Lexus..my mext car...we'll see..Irv

• gravel2gravel2 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I got Lexus to replace my run-flats with the Dunlop run flats (at no charge to me) and I am still unhappy. I have had a Lexus for 10 years (maybe that was my clout). Anyway the ride is still 'rough' but not as bad as before.
    However, it still cannot be driven in the ice or snow and the other day it slid across a lane of traffic when it was raining out. That had happened to me once with the other run-flat tires and I was hoping the Dunlop one would eliminate that problem.
    Lexus does say that for $1000 they can 'rework' the trunk and then you can buy regular tires and have room in the trunk for the spare.
    I resent having to pay an additional $1000 for their poor judgment in not allowing you an option of kind of tires.
    When I complained about the tires and not knowing about run-flats when I purchased the car the customer service guy told me it was on page such and such in the manual. I guess I'm not with it because I don't read a car's manual cover to cover before buying a car!
    As soon as I research the other convertibles I will sell this one unfortunately. Anyone have any suggestions? I have a back problem and the height of the SC430's seat (getting in and out of the car)was a plus for me. I had to give up my Jag convertible because its seat was too low.
    I sympathize. The run-flats and the related disappointment with the car brought me to selling my SC (my 5th Lexus). I do not regret my decision even though I think it's still a great car.
    After driving a month on Dunlop Run Flats which I installed as per my last message at 11,000 miles, I must tell you its now like a different car..no more twitches no more pulling car rides 100% better///Lexus made a mistake putting Bridgestone on in the beginning and should have made them good. I sent them a certified letter telling them this along with the bill and asked for a check or credit against another new Lexus and they did not even have the courtesy to answer me.
    You were lucky if Lexus picked the bill for your tires..I had Bridgestone on myh 02 SC430 which were defective..the car pulled and twitched all the time..I complained for 2 years..finallyat 11000 miles and after much research talking to other owners I recently put on Dunlops..now its like a different car..no pulling 100% better ride..really enjoying the car for the first time.. so I wrote Lexus and sent them the bill asking for reimbursement or credit against a future Lexus purchase ( not the first time) and guess what??? they did not even have the courtesty to answer me..that's how they treat the buyer of their most expensive car..by the way and I told them..this is my 4th Lexus..my wife is driving one also...she loves it (GS300) so what do I buy next..well as little as I drive I will keep this car at least 2 more years but then??
    That is indeed a disappointing attitude for Lexus to take, to simply ignore you. Sounds like they're getting the haughty attitude of MB and BMW.
  • bongo59bongo59 Member Posts: 13
    I have owned 5 500SL's including the new designo....i traded it in 2 months for the SL 55 which i love....but have just sold last night....i still have my lorinser 2003 500 SL but i bought a nieman marcus 2002 SC 430 and for 30 K less this car is worth the price....i do agree the tires and ride and exterior styling are substandard with MB .....but not 30K worth.....I am listing my lorinser Tues morning....this is my first lexus so i'll give it a try for 6 months and get with you then!!!
  • onfire1onfire1 Member Posts: 4
    I have used BridgeStone Potenza RFT(runflat) as well as GoodYear Eagle F1 EMT(runflat - Extended Mobility Technology) on my Lexus SC-430 and observed poor handling, twitching and sliding all along on both brands. Finally I switched to Dunlop SP Sports 5000 DSST( runflat using Dunlop Self Supporting Technology ) at 30K miles and see improved handling, better wet-weather traction, steering response - all in all the car has been quite a pleasure to drive - quite sporty and nimble I should say, as if I bought a new car at 30K miles! - anyone considering to buy SC430 should ask the dealer to put the Dunlop runflats initially itself - dont regret later.
    Thank you Onfire1...you reaffirm what I have found out..the hard way..only sorry I waited so long to make the change..Lexus knew by the amount of complaints they had that the Bridgestone tires were no good.but ignored the complaints..they didn"t want the responibility of a recall or the expense of replacing them for their loyal customers like you and me..you are right..the car drives like a new car now that the Dunlops are on it..there is no other car on the market that appeals to me or I would have bought it..the Mercedes 500SL I drove it..did not see any advantage plus the seats are hard..the car is not pretty inside like my Lexus is..why spend 100k and then maybe have a problem..no way..but now I am really happy with the Lexus..only have 11,000 miles so plan to keep it a couple years yet...
  • egomanegoman Member Posts: 2
    Here is the deal. I drove a 1998 MB E320 for the last five years. The MB service experience has been awful. No loaner cars, long waits for service, poor waiting areas. My girlfriend drives a VW beetle and she gets a complimentry loaner car. While the overall performance of the E320 was good with no major probs and a few minor ones, I have satisfied my ego need to be a MB owner.

I just purchased a 2003 SC430 with run flats. Yes, it pulls from time to time, but other than that it is a fantastic vehicle. And the improvement of having Lexus come to me to pick up my vehicle and drop off a complimentary loaner cannot be overemphasized.

The interior luxuries and details are unmatched by anyone. It is a joy to drive this car. I just have to be certain to relocate and find a new job in Florida as I do not look forward to a Michigan winter in any coupe.

Peace...
  • onfire1onfire1 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks ipsadoodle. I like my SC430 too. The car has pretty good powerband ( even at 120 mph...shh)
    Handling could be a little better on twists and turns.. new Dunlops fare far better in this area. All in all, it is a great package for the price.
    Mine is an arrest-me red.
  • vetlexvetlex Member Posts: 24
    It is curious to me that every time the so called automag experts review the sc430 they are fairly critical of this cars handling and appearance.
    While I do not consider this car to be a sport car and styling is always subjective ; it is quite obvious to me that the purists are heavily
    biased towards "classic" luxury cars of old (namely BMW and Mercedes). I drive the sc430 in the mountains often and can attest to its fast,sound and reassuring reflexs. It is NOT razor sharp. But I have seen numerous comments about this car's handling being "ponderous" or unsettling......Hardly! And the looks are definitely sporty, daring and most onlookers think gorgeous. Certainly this is a more daring and interesting deseign (from Lexus!!!!!!) than a
    mercedes clk .....is it just me.....but the clk is a conservative look. If the Lexus was this conservative you can be sure it would have lost points for being boring!! Yet the "experts" refer to the sc styling as unbalanced and ......yes...."pumkinseed" styling in one mag.
    Personally I think it is NEW, different and even stunning.............though I would like to see Lexus make this car smaller and lighter....it is NOT a trim deseign.

Just my observations and opinion. Any others?
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Now there is some truth to what you're saying. Anytime a comparo has a Lexus and a Porsche in it, someone is going to loose badly...depending on the criteria being judged. I think the Lexus is a luxury machine first, but it hasn't always lost this contest based solely on it's lack of performance or it's looks.

Several magazines have also knocked the car for it's lack of body rigidity, it's always knocked for this especially when compared to the SL, XLR or 911, which are constantly praised for having a tighter body structure and a "tighter" overall build. My own personal take on the SC430 is that it's an interesting car, but it's too close to being a 2-door LS430 in it's driving, and it does claim to be a "GT" car afterall, that implies more excitement than it is able to provide. It wears 18-inch wheels/tires that promise a better drive than it delivers. I'm sure the car is not sloppy in it's handling, but what the mags find is that it doesn't match the class leaders, and it's not like those cars have punishing rides either, 911 excluded. The Lexus also has a rather garish interior when you specify the light wood with the dark leather, it simply looks to busy (overdone) compared to say the XLR or SL, which look better integrated. I personally think it's a big omission on Lexus' part by not having any kind of rollover protection.

Compared to the old CLK the SC430 is more of standout, but not in a favorable way I guess to many. I see the old CLK Cabriolet as a classic looking Benz, the proportions are just so right, it's very hard to top styling wise. The SC430 comes off looking like a ladybug or upside down bathtub in comparision, it's not sleek like a roadster should be, it's too upright and bulbous. That said, I personally find it to be an interestingly styled car, not ugly at all just weird....but shockingly I can see where it would appeal to people. I'll say too, that the new CLK Cabrio does nothing for me stylewise either.

M
  • squidd99squidd99 Member Posts: 288
    1. You can't specify the light wood with the dark leather; the light wood come with and only with the "ecru" (off white) interior.

2. The word "it's" is a contraction, not a possessive pronoun.

3. I agree; the SC430 is not a Porsche and isn't trying to be; that's why I like it.
    Either way it's still tacky looking and to over-the-top.

M
    Most people who have ventured an opinion on the sc interior/dash have thought it was among THE nicest and tasteful interior ever seen on a car.
    And while the exterior could be more sleek and less "bulbous" (I see this too!) I get nothing but "wows" from the "average" non-car nut dude on the street. I still think (because it is a
    daring style statement) this car gets more (positively!)noticed than most beamers and Mercs,

Incidentally, I have the dark wood interior with saddle leather..........both unique and beautiful to most.

If I could throw out my practical side that loves Luxury, reliability AND Value..........I would want a porsche.

D
    Any non-car person would be wowed by any of these cars, so I'm not sure exactly what that means. How do you know it gets noticed more than a BMW Z8 or Mercedes SL?

M
    Occasionally a Lexus hater trolls on a Lexus board such as the above. I agree with most observers that the SC interior is one of the most luxurious and ergonomic in the business. Most enthusiasts acknowledge that Lexus' and Audis are among the most well done interiors.
    Typical Lexus tactics...you don't agree or ask for proof in the classic Lexus fashion, then you're a troll. Out with the names, pretty weak stance.

If a MB fan posts something like my car gets more stares than a Lexus, the Lex fans (one like footie) would be asking for the only thing they can understand to prove it, a survey..and they'd be asking for such proof in a Benz board.

maxhonda99......Read the E-Class topic, like say the last 20-25 posts and see if thats called "trolling".

M
    regarding post #636, the poster says, "yada yada yada....."

I say, "serenity now"

(On this board, I smell a troll)
    If what I said was trolling and/or bashing then surely post #5234 in the E-Class forum is more of the same. It was made by a wandering poster that is severly limted to their survey clutching/preaching, that had no other intent than to stir up something. Period. The E-Class topic has been visted by this poster more than once for no other reason than to say much of nothing, even when nobody has spoken about the two cars in a comparitive way. I'm curious to know what topics do you think have been created with the sole intent on bashing Lexus?

M
  • pasdeclefpasdeclef Member Posts: 4
    Bear with me a minute. In my (much) younger days, I could afford anchovies for my homemade pizza, but considered them too expensive for what I got. So I coined the "anchovy principle", which has stood me in good stead for many years.
    To wit...can I afford a Lexus SC430? Yes, I can. And I would like to own a sports car. I have an RX300 now, and love it, so I know about, and can appreciate, a Lexus. But at $62,000+ for the SC430, I begin to think of those anchovies. An RX8? A Z-car? Even a Boxster? Reliability is very important to me, and so is styling, so the Lexus continues to appeal. But it's SO expensive. What to do? Would appreciate some comments.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    are not my favorite pizza topping and I would never call the Lexus SC430 a "sports car", but I'm with you on wanting to see value in all of my purchases.

If it's any consolation, I stuggled a bit with the value of trading up to a BMW M5 from a 540i a year and a half ago. The $20k difference seemed like a frivolous expenditure, even though it was not financially significant to me. But now that I've been driving the M5 for 18 months, I am very pleased with the decision and the incremental cost, long since forgotten, also seems more than justified.

Of the three cheaper alternatives you mentioned, only the Boxster S at nearly $60k would have any appeal to me. The RX8 and 350Z are essentially mass market cars. The epitome of frugalness would be a $32k Honda S2000 with Boxster S performance, limited production exclusivity and Honda reliability. But it's about as far removed from the SC430 in terms of driving experience as you can get. I think it's a little gem of a car, but then again, I'm on the list to get a Lotus Elise.

The question of value is one that only you can answer. But as a luxury GT convertible cruiser, I am of the opinion that the Lexus SC430 is fairly priced vis a vis its true competition (XK8, SL, CLK, etc.). You may, however, want to drive it a bit more before deciding between the SC and a true sports car alternative. You can spend nearly an equal amount on an SC430 or Boxster S and end up with a dramatically different driving experience.
    While I can afford to pay upto 60 or 90 grand for a car
    I can only afford to do it ONCE! I think this is true for a larger majority of Luxury car buyers. So VALUE (ie ...the MOST car for the money) IS and should be important to most. Lexus
    still keeps this principle in mind when creating any car. Given that it is perceived (rightfully earned) as the best built /most reliable car you can buy.......Lexus prices have incresed over the years. That said......every Lexus car may not be "best" in every (or any) category compared to the likes of BMW, Mercedes or porsche.............but it oftn provides most of the goodness of these cars as well as adding
    increased Luxury and reliability at a LOWER price. THAT is value.

The sc430 is in the same LUXURY league with mercedes SL (equal power, engine refinement, convertible hardtop, amenities etc) albeit not an equal performer......but 35-40 grand less!!!!.

It is much more luxurious than a clk or many BMW's and porsche. And yet it is about the same price as many of these competitors. Granted if you want the BEST sportcar for the money.....THIS AIN"T IT!

While I might want to own a new mercedes sl or porsche carrera (ultimate cars no doubt!!). I instead bought a USED SC430................and consequenty can afford to also own a jeep (offroading) a suburban (hauling and utility) a boat and 2 motorcycles with the 50 grand savings over a new "ultimate" car.

So to real people who work 40-70 hrs a week......choosing a car based on VALUE! gets you the most out of life.

D
    But thats just it, a Lexus SC430 doesn't provide enough of the "goodness" of SL and especially a Porsche, those cars are more complete (SL) and are more so for driving (Porsche), which is the one area where the Lexus doesn't compare.

I agree the SC430 is more luxurious than a CLK or a Boxster (a totally different type of car btw), but there is no BMW in the category, yet. The upcoming 6-Series BMW will probably blow the SC430 away along with the CLK next spring, for only 10K more than either the SC430 or CLK500 (projected). That is if you can stand the 6's rear end treatment, yuck!

M
    We just went out to dinner last night with friends that bought an SL55 about three months ago. It's truly a beautiful car but it's also been back to the dealership for more than a day 3 times for a variety of problems (electrical, engine management). By contrast, a neighbor of mine has put 30,000 miles on a 360 Modena over the last 18 months without a single unscheduled trip to service department.

As much as you and I might distinguish between the performance of the standard SL500 and the SC430, neither are "driving enthusiast's" cars. Given that, I suspect some may pick the SC430 over the SL500 purely based upon the Lexus reputation for reliablity, especially as of late.

I think Mercedes needs a quality/reliability overhaul. BMW undertok one about 7-10 years ago and it's paid big dividends. Mercedes needs to take notice that most of us who are or were customers don't think "Chrysler" reliability and long term quality is acceptable. There are other choices.
    When there is ample evidence that Mercedes products approach or equal Lexus (or Acura or Infiniti) reliability.........only then will I consider a Mercedes. I am one of those buyer who will overlook Lexus shortcomings (ie fun to drive quotient) to own the BEST built most reliable cars on the road.

Mercedes also needs to build the Best cars that don't ask for huge premiums over similar cars.

I admit I am NOT a true "driving" enthusiast. But I do want my car to handle well in most everyday driving experiences. No one can fault
    Lexus for being anything but supremely competant,
    safe and reassuring.

D
    Oh trust me I'll knock Mercedes in this area until they do improve. My only issue with the whole reliability is that some think no Lexus ever has a problem and every Mercedes does. I've never denied that a problem existed, I only took issue with the depth of the problem. It seems Mercedes is fessing up about their electronic issue and they *seem* to honestly want to fix it.

The fact that a Ferrari owner has been able to do 30k trouble free (somewhat of a miracle in itself) should send a wake up call to Mercedes, and according to some very recent press I think they're getting the picture.

vetlex........this part is for you too..........you've both caught me on a day in which I had to drive an hour or more for work (mainly interstate) and I swear I must have seen about 12 SC430s... You name the color and it was present. I have no problem knocking Lexus' sedans or anyone else's for the matter when I don't like them, because truth be told I'm not crazy about 4-door cars, but it's hard for me to knock a GT car. So as I've stated before I can see why people would choose the SC430 over any of it's competitors, it's a reliable, comfortable, and a *interestingly* styled car, plus its a lot cheaper.

M
  • 43810774381077 Member Posts: 31
    Anyone concern about "value" in these leagues should simply buy used. A year old SC with 10/15K miles can be had for $45K, a 25% discount from sticker on a car that's ,at most, consumed 10% of it's useful miles. Move up a Benz and the discounts get better if you buy that there's still a 150K mile Benz being produced. Friend of mine just nailed a year old SL 55 for $75K. A guy he knows owned it, didn't like it and when he tried to trade the sports at MB offered him $70K. He sold it to my pal rather than letting MB make the profit. If you want to invest the time and can move quickly these deals are common....and the bigger the origional sticker the bigger the discount. The dealers are into these near new luxury cars dirt cheap and will occasionally blow one out just to move some cash. Deals are especially good if, for instance, you can find a Benz at your local Lexus dealer. Mine had a loaded up up E500 with 3K miles they blew out for $50K. Secret with the dealers is to offer them what you want to pay and walk if they balk.
    That is the BEST way to own a GREAT car without overpaying. I saved almost 20 grand by buying a sc430 with about 30k miles. The more expensive the car the more it pays to buy it used. The previous owner had just bought a new SL for a "deal" (I think about 90 grand). Being able to pay cash is always a BIG advantage when buying any car..............espec hard to sell expensive luxury cars.

D
    I somewhat agree with your point, but you didn't need to insert a BS story about the SL55 to make it.

The first SL55's did not arrive in the US until about 5-6 months ago - there is no such thing as a one year old one. My "real" friend got the second one delivered to the entire Atlanta area - paid the $115k+ MSRP and was immediately offered $20k to flip the car by someone on the wait list. If he elected to sell today, he would have a line of buyers, starting with every wannabe Michael Jordan (who also drives an SL55) from the NBA.

Better check your story or your friend. Perhaps he bought a closer to one year old SL500 that had been rebadged in the dark of night. Even then, at $70k, he would have gotten a good deal.
  • devokedevoke Member Posts: 33
    There is a SL55 at a MB dealership in lower Alabama that can be had for $70k or probably less in the near future. (I'll not name the dealership because I do not want to embarrass the purchaser of this unique car). The reason for the "deal" is the engine's main computer chip (I don't know which one or even what this is exactly) failed and the engine will not run properly. The dealership and (hopefully) all of MB have attempted to repair the car with no luck. MB initiated a buy-back on the originally priced $120k (with most if not all of the options) car. They offered the owner $90k! The car has less than 2000 miles on it. They stated they would only pay her that amount because the car "had problems." She is in arbitration now in an attempt to have the car declared a lemon. We had to do the same thing with a SLK. There is at least one other 2002 SL (not a 55) that I know MB had to buy back after arbitration. (We had the same lawyer).

I have been told (by the same lawyer) that Lexus has NEVER been to arbitration for a manufacturer defect? They have resolved every problem in some way before ever having the situation escalate to that level.
    an "urban legend" in the making. Slightly used SL55's for $70k! And not just one. True or urban legend??

Here's the extended version: Mercedes/AMG outsourced their chip manufacturing to Microsoft and Bill Gates snuck in a bad one. Along with a tracking device so he could follow the car to Alabama. Then he buys the car at a huge discout, plops in a $50 replacement chip and bingo, the world's richest man has an SL55 for about $49,950 under list price.

Urban legend debunk: I believe that the cost of a new AMG supercharged 5.5 liter engine is in the $20k range. I read an article about the cost of AMG and BMW "M" engines a few months ago and it mentioned the $20k figure for the new "standardized" 5.5 liter going into the SL55, CL55, E55 and S55. Add another $5k for installation. So with 2,000 miles and a list price of $120k, there's a lot of money to be made buying one at $70k even if you have to replace the whole bloody engine to get rid of that nasty poltergeisted Bill Gates chip.
    The text actually says the owner was offered $90K, not $70k. My opinion is once arbitration is over, $70k will be a fair price for the still unrepaired car. A car that will not run is not worth much, regardless of its pedigree. MB will definitely lose this case because they have not been able to repair the car within six month's time. She paid for a SL55 and is driving a 2003 MB C-class loaner, hardly worth her $120k. An engine costs much more than $50, probably closer to 100 times that amount for an AMG engine. The point here is MB chose to go to arbitration rather than replace the entire engine or the entire car with a new one. The $50 chip you spoke of ($50 seems pretty cheap for ANY MB part) did not fix the problem, nor did the THIRD $50 chip. MB's attitude is one of arrogance. They would prefer to go to court (arbitration in this case) rather than admitting they made a mistake and can not repair this car and they will not replace it. (By the way, the dealership wants nothing more than to do the right thing and give my friend a new car. The problem is with MB, not the dealership). This should have been taken care of the right way instead of it ever going this far. Anyone can produce a lemon. The customer should not be made to suffer for a manufacturer's mistake. Once the car can not be repaired, then do the right thing! MB wants to drag out the process and hopes the buyer will be worn down and go away or take a ridiculous amount for their broken car. I speak from personal experience. And as a sidenote, I learned from this process that your bank or loan holder has a ton more clout than an individual that does not have a loan. They are afraid of being blackballed by the loan company, because that negatively affects their business. Individuals can do little more than make them buy your car back, which they should have done in the first place. If you do not believe MB does not resolve serious problems, then go to www.Mercedesproblems.com or any number of MB sites and note that almost no problems (less than 1% by an informal count) were resolved in the best interest of the customer. Sorry for the dissertation and MB bashing. That was not my intent with the original post, but I felt compelled to answer the challenge.
    Back to the subject of this board. I just went over 10k in our Lexus and I still look for excuses to drive it. I live in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains and love the top down driving this time of year. We drove through Sam's Gap near Asheville last weekend with the top down and the music playing and have never enjoyed a drive more. It was beautiful, perfect weather, and the car was about as perfect as it can be.
    Well I see it as more than an "attempt" to bash because he's just what a lot of Lexus fans call me, a non-knowledgeable, non-owner poster that doesn't contribute anything worthwile to a discussion, in short a "basher" or a "troll". If I'm that when it comes to Lexus, he's definitely that when it comes to Mercedes-Benz topics. That is just one of their many posts, I only listed one for example purposes. They did it again on their most recent post, # 5278. That post was made for no other reason than to start some mess.

There is also a big difference between that poster making jokes about the owners and their cars problems and me giving an opinion on how a car looks, especially when the poster before me asked a question to the board! I for one haven't made fun of anybody, as that person in the MB topic has. Nor was that persons post asked for a called for by anyone in the E-Class topic. Big, big difference there.

I do agree with you about the Lexus and BMW topic, it does open the door for a Lexus bash session.

M
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This topic is specifically for SC430 owners or for people interested in the car to exchange information.

it's not intended as an SC430 vs. X topic, so any posts of that nature are really off topic and could (and should) be removed in the future for that reason.

So please let's not have any more arguing about 'which is better". This just leads to fights and will require Host intervention.

If you want to cite auto mag "match-ups" that's one thing but no trashing other people's cars PLEASE!

This will be the last reminder on the subject, so if you don't want to write in disappearing ink, please respect this forum as a place primarily for SC430 enthusiasts to discuss the cars pros and cons in context of the original intention of the topic.

thank you for your help with this,

MrShiftright
    Host
    Thanks for your no tolerance to troll policy. I think it comes off considerably different for an owner of a given make and model to level a complaint or criticism to the same car, than the "basher" mentality opinion of the non-owner.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I will strictly enforce the No Bash rule, too, since it tends to sour everyone to participation in the forum. I'm not saying every criticism is intentional malice by any means, but it still has a bad effect in a forum that was started for sharing information.

If someone has a valid opinion about the styling or price or interior of an SC430, fine, state your case and once is plenty. We get the message!

thanks. Remember you are here to have fun, so enjoy yourselves and e-mail me if there's any problems.

Shifty the Host
  • johndhenryjohndhenry Member Posts: 1
    Stop readings this right now! You are wasting precious time….go out and replace those ‘run-flat’s’. I have 10,000 miles on my sc430 and just dumped the rf’s for a $1,000 set of Michelin Pilot A/S….what a difference! The car rides and handles like a dream now….my 100+ mile daily commute had consisted of dental jarring moments punctuated by the occasional ‘bang-thud’ as I passed over even the most modest of man-hole covers or bridge expansion joints. Now I actually steer toward them just to remind myself of how unpleasant the drive was in past days! Moreover, now I can take corners on back roads going 50 mph or more with confidence (the car doesn’t feel like its going to loose control as it hits a seemingly insignificant dip or small bump). I know that I don’t have a spare in the trunk (I have both a $20 compressor and a can of fix-a-flat)….but I just don’t care…the ride is superb now!!! I think that the severe bumps and whacks that the rf’s put the car through were going to rapidly age the car…I don’t care how well a car is engineered – if it is subjected to rf’s it will fall apart sooner or later. Now that I have real tires, it really amazes me that Lexus offers the rf’s on a $60k+ car at all as it is really hurting the Lexus brand.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    My wife recently told me that the tire pressure warning light came on on her SC430, so I checked the pressures, and all tires were at 29psi. I decided, based on advice I'd read in this and other forums, to increase the pressure to 36psi. This is said to be the current Lexus recommended pressure. My wife reports that the ride is smoother, there is less tramlining, and the noise level is no higher than before. Amazing. The original tires now have 19000 miles on them, and they appear to have a lot more miles left in them.
    Well run flats seem to be the wave of the future..several 04"s have them.including some Cadillac models..I switched from the defective Bridgestone rf that came on my SC430 to Dunlops..they cost me $1107..which I think is a better deal than regullar Michelin Pilots for $1000..but I did put the Pilots on our GS300 and they cost $581... I think my Lexus is a great car for the money what with its trick roof a lot better deal than the 500SL...I think..and mine is absolutey RED
This discussion has been closed.