Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• f650racerf650racer Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'll let you know how (if) things work out. Like you, I was a little surprised when two of the dealers I spoke to gave up the information that the $1,000 applied to the sort of stripped car I want. Actually, I wish they had sent a bunch over here giving away the Touring package instead of the Launch. I'd like those Xenons!
    it's quite possible that I simply misunderstood about the $1k (regarding my previous post). I've been acccused of hearing what I want to.
  • hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    My mileage always show only between 22-24mpg no matter how long I drive on highway.... Is it a problem? Would like to know others experiences about the gas mileage.
  • malangomalango Member Posts: 11
    I was a little bit concerned about the gas mileage in 93 as well, until I realized that the mpg are calculated starting from the last time the trip computer was reset. So if you haven't reset the computer, that would be the average performance since you purchased the car. It is not calculated in "real-time". To reset the trip computer, when the SID displays the mpg, press the clear button under the SID knob. A couple of days ago I reset mine while I was doing 60mph on the highway. I drove approx 25 miles while keeping the speed between w60-70mph and the gas mileage went up to 33mpg!!!! I do most of my driving in mixed conditions (Stop-and-go, city, highway) and it evens out at 24 mpg. Not bad for me.
    Thanks for your information. I will try it. Sounds great. gas price is getting higher and higher. need to save osme money on it.
  • code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    Spoke to my "contact" at SaabUSA. He was helpful as always. Once again, didn't give me the answers I wanted to hear (see below) but he was friendly and honest.

I was told the upgrade for the audio system should be available in March to improve the current system to a 300-watt system with
    four additional speakers. The radio upgrade will be approximately $450.00. He did not know if that includes installation or just the part.

That is pretty expensive, considering there are cars that are half the price of the 9-3 with better stock radios. =8(
  • wannasaabwannasaab Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

After going through too many posts, I am no closer to figuring out if I am looking at a good deal. I am considering leasing a Saab 9-3 Linear (Launch, Touring, Heated Seats, Metallic Paint). How do these numbers sound:

Gross Cap Cost - $30,500 (Edmunds TMV = 29,680)
    Cap Reduction - $1,500
    Taxes and fees upfront - $1,207.58 (Including 10% tax on cap reduction)
    Monthly Payment - $360.58 for 36 months
    12K miles / year

Any comments?
  • pablo_lpablo_l Member Posts: 491
    Mileage goes down quite a bit as ythe engine gets lose. Supposedly, after 8k miles, mine os just about getting there. And milage on the 205HP engine is 29mpg on the highway (Bay Area traffic), and about 20-25mpg in town depending on how one drives...
  • bv73ms3bv73ms3 Member Posts: 13
    Your numbers look great! I am looking at the same 9-3 configuration and they quoted me $390 inc tax for 36 mos/12K. They only gave me $800 cap reduction and then charged me all the fees ($600 for an ad fee and $200 for a prep fee)! So then the cap cost came to 29687 which is about the invoice price. Which dealership are you talking to? If I had your quote for $360 I would take it.

Good luck.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    At least with those numbers. The $1,500 cap cost reduction is the killer. They've kept the stated monthly payment low by jacking up the cap cost reduction.

The capitalized cost of $30,500 is way too high. The vehicle's base invoice (launch, touring, heated seats, metallic paint -- I assume this is a manual transmission based on your post) is $29,036 as stated by Edmunds (which I believe to be $10 off but this is close enough).

Advertising fees and PDI are sometimes legitimate BUT dealers often overstate them. Ask to see the Saab Factory Invoice. It will have what the REAL advertising fee is. PDI should be $150. In the state of Washington, the advertising fee on the Saab invoice is $250.

If we add the $400 in fees on top of the $29,036 invoice, that comes out to $29,436 (it can be different in your state, depending on how much these fees legitimately are -- again, ask for the invoice). Let's give the dealer $250 profit on top of the holdback, which would make it $29,686 (and you can probably squeeze another $50-$100 here). Then take out the $1,000 Launch Package dealer incentive, and your gross capitalized cost should only be $28,686. Certainly not $30,500.

Even if you include the automatic transmission in there, that only adds $1,044.

The residual on a 12k/year 36-month lease is 53% of the MSRP.

I recommend you negotiate first on the gross capitalized cost on the dealer. Some of them focus in on your desire to maintain your monthly budget and then slide in higher acquisition costs.

Good luck!
    ... they quoted me $390 inc tax for 36 mos/12K. They only gave me $800 cap reduction and then charged me all the fees ($600 for an ad fee and $200 for a prep fee)! So then the cap cost came to 29687 which is about the invoice price. Which dealership are you talking to? If I had your quote for $360 I would take it.

If your configuration includes the automatic transmission (along with Launch, Touring, heated seats and metallic paint), $29,687 is a good gross cap cost. If your config does not, it should be $1,044 lower.

$600 for advertising and $200 for prep seems way too high. The Saab Factory Invoice I got a copy of had a dealer prep on it of $150, and I have to assume it's the same across the U.S. The advertising fee will vary across each state. In Washington State, it's $250. I can't see it being $600.

Please ask your dealer that if he is attempting to charge you these fees, to let you see the actual Saab factory invoice. Frankly, I think they are padding their profit with a $600 advertising fee.

Please don't let that turn you away from the vehicle, as it is terrific. Especially since there are very good deals to be had, given strong dealer incentives. You just have to get past the dealers.

FYI, there is a $1,000 Launch Package discount that is probably still active. And a $1,500 incentive if you do not lease or use Saab Financing to purchase.

On my lease, my gross cap cost was the invoice of the vehicle, which included the legitimate Saab advertising fee and PDI, plus a $250 dealer profit margin (and sometimes you can cut that too), minus the $1,000 Launch Package incentive (which unfortunately does not show up on Edmunds but seems to still be in effect for January).

Residual for a 10k/year lease should be 54%, 12k = 53%, and 10k = 52%.

Good luck!
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Stopped by the Cadillac/Saab dealer last night after they were closed to see if they had much in the way of 9-3s. They had 2, one was Cosmic Blue and the other grey. Both were Linears and had all options(launch package, wheel upgraded, heated seats, etc) except for the touring package as both had manual climate control. The Cosmic blue was a manual and I believe it is the same one that was at the local auto show we had here back in November as the 9-3 at the show was Cosmic blue and equipped identical to this one. MSRP was a touch over $31K on this one and over $32K on the grey one due to it being an automatic. While I still like the 9-3 and am waiting on the Arc before seriously starting to deal, 32K for a 175 hp Linear(w/o climate control) seems a bit much, especially when there was a very well equipped CTS for only about a grand more parked next to it. Since I am eligible for GMS pricing I know that I would be able to get the 9-3 at invoice, but I can see how the average car shopper might look at it and think that for the price there are other alternatives. Still, in Cosmic blue with the 17" wheels, that was one sharp looking car! I'll save final judgement until after driving one, but a black or cosmic blue Arc for around $399 a month with 15K annually sure would be very tempting.
    Sorry for the confusion on my earlier post, the actual cap cost was $30,050 (alright, I am not a very good typist). That being true along with fair value of $29,700, I should expect to either lower my upfront cap cost reduction number by $360 or my monthly payments by $10. Also, they have an upfront $495 "Bank Fee" - is this legitimate on a lease?

Thanks,

Jim
  • code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    You said, "I am no closer to figuring out if I am looking at a good deal. I am considering leasing..."

I'm sure you've read this all over the place, but you just can't get a good deal on a lease. The math works against you ever time.

I purchased my 9-3 for $26580 (+ $2113 tax/license). Mind you, I got an unusual price, but not an impossible price for a more or less fully loaded 9-3. For more info, look at message #632.

If you really want to lease (or buy) be sure to to figure in all the numbers (rebates), etc. up front. Don't let them "confuse" with you adding/removing numbers later on.

As for buying, with $0 out of my pocket, I am paying $539 per month for my car (3.9% loan), and I own it. That isn't much more than the $399 I hear people talking about (it is only $140 difference to be exact). In the grand scheme of things, that is almost nothing.

Add on the fact that I didn't have to fork our $1500 when I picked my car up (I forked out $0)... On "your" 36 month lease, that is ($1500/36) about $40 per month. Take the $40 off my $140 and you're talking about a measly $100 per month.

The long term value of a lease sucks. When the lease is up, the lease is up. You don't get anything. You start from scratch again.

Oh, and as you can see from message #632, I didn't pay any dealer prep or advertising fees. They are a joke.

I remember a few years ago when I went to buy a car, the dealer told me, "The prep fee is for cleaning the car up and making it ready for you." I told him, "For $450, I'll take the car dirty and without gas in the tank." In the end, they ended up preparing the car for $0. Even got a full tank of gas.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Additional resource: Lease Questions - Ask Here over on the Finance, Warranty & Insurance board.
    Regarding my last post.

1. Yes that does include automatic.

2. All those dealer fees I mentioned were straight off the 'dealer invoice' that the internet manager showed me. When I asked him why the fees were so much and if he could discount them, he got upset and said those were imposed by Saab.

3. He didn't want to budge off the dealer holdback saying they need that to average the cost of all the other cars sitting on their lot for more than 90 days.

4. Finally, he mentioned that they are not getting anymore Launch packages on Linear models so to take the deal before it's too late.

Typical. But maybe he's right. Thats what I'm worried about. I love the Saab...over the volvo and audi. But I wonder if anyone knows or can speculate if the low low money factor 0.25% and $1000 discount will be extended into March.
    Of course, I'm taking the risk that all the Linear with Launch will be gone.
    If you still want to lease, I'd highly recommend asking to see the Saab invoice for the vehicle you're interested in. It will include all legitimate Saab-imposed dealer prep and advertising fees.

Subtract $1,000 for the dealer incentive on the Launch Package.

Add $250 to the above for a dealer profit above the holdback, but don't offer it immediately.

This should give you the "agreed upon value of the vehicle."

From there, ask them to recompute your lease deal, including the amount due at signing and the monthly payment. For leases, it is usually better to reduce the amount due at signing (lower the cap cost reduction) even if that raises the monthly payment slightly.

The only legit prices in the current Saab deals, at the time of signing, should be:

Agreed value of the vehicle.

$495 lease acquisition and administrative fee (I hope this is the bank fee you mentioned).

Gross capitalized cost which will probably include the $495 above (since it's usually financed in the lease deal).

The amount due at signing, which is composed of:

First monthly payment.
    Security deposit (usually is waived).
    Registration fees.
    Cap cost reduction (try to minimize).
    Tax on the cap cost reduction.

You may want to consider purchasing as well. We can go on all day of the pros and cons of leasing vs. buying. You will get an additional $1,500 incentive if you buy and get your own financing.

Good luck!
    Given that some folks here have bought well-equipped 9-3's for around $27k it puts the vehicle in a totally different pricing class than what the MSRP implies. And, frankly, I wouldn't buy the vehicle at MSRP, because then it runs straight into current Audi and MB pricing and becomes a much tougher decision.

Your GM discount should help even more since I believe you can combine it with at least one of the current incentives, and possibly both.
    It's anyone's guess if the lease deals will be extended. They were certainly extended into February.

I'm rather shocked that the advertising fee could be so high. Perhaps if you post up the state you are in, other folks here might be able to chime in to see if it's legit.

Call the salesperson and say you had a question or two about the invoice and ask him to fax it to you. My salesperson did. Since faking invoices (or passing non-factory invoices under the guise of factory invoice) is a no-no, it'd be interesting to hear his reaction. If he says, "sure, what's your fax number," it's probably legit. If he freaks, there might be something more to this.

Did the invoice say "Saab Cars USA" next to the logo on the upper left, with the Norcross, GA address?

Better yet, try another dealership in your area (if there is one) and see if you get the same song. That's often the best way to find out if another dealer's claim is legit.
  • renee_etoilerenee_etoile Member Posts: 46
    hi everyone~ juss wanted to say a quick hello :)

haven't been able to check the boards lately- my computer's acting funny. Will get back when i get a chance to go through eveything.
  • dbozmandbozman Member Posts: 23
    Those lease rates ($1K down, $360/month tax included for 36, 12K miles per year) are exactly the rates I just got on my car, same equipment.

From my perspective, it's a great deal. I won't go into a lease vs. buy debate here. If you're serious about leasing -- as I was -- take a look around at competing vehicles. You can't even come close to touching another car in this class for $360 a month. Forget about it. Hell, a loaded Passat GLS came in at $340 a month and that was for 42 months.

Personally, based on the quality of the vehicle and comparison costs of other cars in class, I'd take that lease rate all day every day. Hell, I did take it (grin) and couldn't be happier.
    Dion
    Thanks for the follow up. One thing I have seen with the lease discussions is a need to be specific, so my question is: did your $1K down include bank fees & licensing, or was this the cap reduction amount? Or was the $1K everything, making my $2,700 ($1,500 cap reduction plus $1,200 banks fees, 1st mo, license) look ridiculous?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
    Most good lease deals I've seen for the 9-3 have no more than $1,500 due at signing (which includes cap cost reduction, taxes, fees, etc.).
    Yes, my $1K out-of-pocket included all fees, tax, first month's, etc. Truthfully, I didn't go into detail like some here. I shopped around for weeks and got real-world lease rates for cars in and below the Saab's class. The 9-3 was the last car I drove and, when I got the lease quote -- I took it. Far and away the best deal on the market, far as I could tell.
    Dion
    Hello saab group:
    It happened twice before, then today it kept popping up, a "LOCK SYSTEM FAILURE/ CONTACT DEALER" sign. It's really bothering me. The locks work fine, just the sign keeps popping up. Anyone have similar problems?

And as for the pictures I promised, they're having some trouble uploading. As soon as I find some free time to get them up, I shall post them up. For now, here's one dinky lil picture of it, taken on the second day, as an IOU.

http://www.AsianAvenue.com/Members/index.html?LAUNCH_PAGE=http%3A- //www.AsianAvenue.com/Members/Me/personalpage.html%3FMEMBER%3Dire- aniebeanie
    please don't check the above site- the pictures aren't showing up. sorry for the mess.
    have a good day everyone~
    -renee-
  • a98gibsona98gibson Member Posts: 21
    I've been lurking in the shadows here for quite some time, but finally made my decision between the CTS and Saab 9-3. I'm happy to report that the 9-3 won and has taken its rightful place in my garage.

I saw some previous posts about dealer programmable features. Has anyone found a comprehensive list of dealer programmable features? I'd like my doors to lock automatically at a given speed (similar to my other non-Saab cars).

Thanks for any information.
    congratulations a98gibson!!!!!! so what colors did you go with? :)

I'd also be interested in an autolock at given speed option- if you find out please let us know.

-renee-
  • a98gibsona98gibson Member Posts: 21
    I went with steel gray and parchment interior. Love the combination. It's different than the typical gray on gray.

I sent the same question regarding a comprehensive list of dealer programmable options to Saab. Here's their reply:

"Thank you for contacting the Saab Cars USA Customer Interaction Center.

Unfortunately there is no list that contains all of the programmable functions. The only setting I am aware of is that the doors will lock automatically when you either start the engine or place the vehicle in gear. I am not aware of any speed-related options for the door lock.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Saab Customer Interaction Center"

The service manager at my local dealer said that they should be able to enable the automatic door lock feature during my 30 day follow up visit. I was hoping for the automatic lock at 15mph (similar to the feature that's available from Chrysler), but this will work for me.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Good deal. I like your color scheme a lot.

If I buy, I am thinking of the 9-3 Arc, dolphin gray with the parchment interior.

Keep us posted on the program issue and otherwise how you like the car.
  • ihabermanihaberman Member Posts: 58
    Spent several hours at the Chicago auto show the other day going through the details of each of these fine autos, with the expectation to buy in the fall. Thoughts:

Overall: Low 30s, 6'0 tall, and planning on keeping my next car for 5-7 yrs...hopefully will have wife/family at that time. That being said, the A4 and BMW 330 felt very small in the back seat. Whole idea of buying a 4-dr car (albeit a sporty one) is to make people at least remotely comfortable in the back seat. Couldn't do that except in the G35 and the Saab 9-3, the G particularly so with its extra leg room and reclining option (nice touch).

A4: Everyone talks about how nice this car is on the inside...my expectations exceeded the reality. While nice materials are used, it looks a bit dated and squared off. Seats were VERY firm as well...not at all comfortable. Again, back seat is TINY. One of best traits was confidence in Audi's years of experience with 4WD, but have trouble convincing myself that this car will suffice with the small back seat.

BMW 330ix: Felt like it "fits" better than most other cars. Even back seat, though just as small as the Audi, felt like I had more leg room. I think it reclines a bit more in its natural shape. However, it's still small back there and the overall image seems to be mid/high 20s versus 30s.

G35: Best thing I heard about this car from the auto show was that they'll be putting 4WD in it come fall (has anybody else heard that?). That's huge as RWD just won't cut it in Chitown. They've made subtle but nice changes to the car's exterior between 2003 and 2003 1/2, most noticeably a clean-up of the trunk (no more doggie paddle). Wish the front air dam was more like the coup's, but overall it has a nice, clean look, expecially from the side. Rear seat room is significantly better than the rest. Plus the reclining option is a nice touch. Would probably choose the wood option, and only wish it was available on the center/dash as well, as I'm not a big fan of the titanium look. With the 4WD coming (if that's true), this car would be my top choice at this point...though I have not driven anything yet.

Saab 9-3: This car exceeded my expectations more so than any other...though it may be due to how low they were to begin with. Like the redesign a lot...it's crisp, classy, and athletic looking. My only concerns are the 4 cyl turbo engine - everything else comes in a 6, Saab's (or should I say GM's) reputation for quality, and the lack of 4WD. Interior was nice AND comfortable. Looking forward to the nav system option coming on board in fall. That will dress up an already improved dash. Price is also less than others.

Overall, will have to drive them all, but went to the auto show looking primarily at the BMW and Audi, and left most interested in driving the G and the Saab.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    What specifically are your concerns about the 4-cyl? I am the other way around - no concerns with the 4, but I have concerns about the v-6 being too nose heavy, and using too much fuel.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    1. I believe there will be an AWD G35 this Fall. It will be pricey however. And there have been complaints about Infinities reliability.

2. The new Saab 4 cyl. is based on the ecotec, an engine with a very good reliability record in the cars in Europe and the US that have used it over the last three to four years. Maintenance with a Turbo 4 will be more elaborate than a regular 4, but Saab provides the first 3 year maintenance for free.
  • pranpran Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to get some thoughts - I live on the east coast and want to lease a SAAb. The best I could get was $385 a month for 36 months, 12K on a 9-3 with nothing down - just the 1st month's payment. The 9-3 has only leather, heated seats, automatic and a sunroof. Is this a good deal??? Thanks in advance.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    complaints about inifiniti? never heard that....better substantiate that statement....
    I knew that when one person said there is/are complaint for Inifiniti.. some people will argue it.... Because Inifiniti earn lots credit from consumerreports for sure. it's good car. However my colleague always complain her car has unfixed problem with electronic issue. Sometime on engine too. She said she hope she has Honda instead of Inifiniti. Maybe it's only rare situation. But at least I find one here agree with my experience.
    I think every brand name car has thier weakness. Friend of mine has BMW can't start his car three times a year. Need to call service tow car back to dealer to fix. MB c class driver complain C-class quality is not as good as its tri-star name.
    My 9-3 had door lock problem at the begining. But it's all gone after they check the computer system and replaced the part. Now everything fine to me. I hope I can happy with the reliability of Saab for life.
  • ihabermanihaberman Member Posts: 58
    DudleyR: my concerns about the 4 cyl turbo are the lag in the early going...living in Chicago, most driving is stop-and-go...the higher revs at the highway speeds...and the lack of midrange action.

As for Infiniti quality issues, haven't heard of any.

As for a potentially pricey 4WD version of this car, I can't imagine it being pricier than the Audi or BMW versions.
    Got my new 9-3 about 10 days ago and am really loving the car. Steel gray with gray leather, launch and touring packages with stick and heated seats.

Very happy with the lease deal I negotiated and with the dealership (Lund Cadillac-Hummer-Saab in North Phoenix).

This is easily the best car I've owned in my 34 years. It fits (I'm 6'2", 180), it's comfortable with being mushy, it's got decent power (I've got a Ducati Monster when I want to go fast), it handles nicely, it's economical and, frankly, I find it very appealing to look at.

Only a few minor quibbles that I should cover: I still don't like the clutch action and I've driven sticks all my life. No, the stereo hasn't gotten any better. It's livable, but the unit in my girlfriend's Saturn sounds better at high volume. There's a fair amount of road noise with the moonroof open (sorry to you folks in cold climes). That's all my gripes and they're all minor.

For reference, I shopped the 9-3 against the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, Passat, Mazda 6, Lexus IS300 and Infiniti G35 (sedan). In a perfect world, had I wanted to spend that sort of money on a car, I probably would've gone with the Beemer. IMO, the Saab was easily the best all-around car from the remaining contestants. Time will tell, but it may actually may be better than the BMW in economy, insurance costs and the fact that the 3 Series is a dime a dozen and I've yet to see another new 9-3 here in Phoenix.

Hope this helps.
    Dion
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Noisy when moonroof open?

I'm gonna lose it! Ahhhh! Doh! I think if I tried opening the one in my car I would defintely hear the motor struggle then the cracking ice and bad popping sound. Thats my version of noisy.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...open up a rear window when the sunroof is open. It'll alleviate lots of the noise and buffeting.
  • freemahcfreemahc Member Posts: 15
    I'll probably have the auto lock feature turned on also, but it raises another question - does that also give you auto unlock? Right now if I lock the drivers door I have to unlock it before I can get out. In my Jetta, I could just pull the door handle and the door would automatically unlock. Having to manually unlock the doors every time could get annoying.
    Finally, after all that searching and haggling and headache, I got my Saab 9-3! Midnight Blue with charcoal leather, auto, Launch, Touring, Wheel packages, heated seats. MSRP with dest 33,580. Invoice 31,207. Cap cost 30,158.50. Doc fee $495. Reg fee $250 36 mos/12K. NO MONEY DOWN! Came out to $380 +tax! They included window tint, all weather floor mats and 3 free auto detailing plus any part/accessory I want in the future at cost. The only bad thing is that this car was at their sister dealership so I didn't get to see it or drive it. Hmmm, hope I don't get screwed! I was thinking of just waiting until next month to get the Black car that I really want but I'm afraid that Saab won't offer the $1000 back and low 0.00022 money factor anytime soon. So even though I have to still sell my old car...anyone want to buy a 1999 VW Passat?...I decided to go ahead and get the 9-3.

The monthly is bit more than I started out but I"m happy. At first I was at $345 + tax with $900 down on a black with Launch, Touring, heat seats but they had to trade for it and it was sold before I could get it. Then there was Silver or Merlot Red for $350+tax with $900 down with Launch, Touring and heat seats but I already have a Silver Passat and I didn't like the parchment seats in the Merlot Red (get dirty too easily). So they agreed to give me the Midnight Blue with Launch, Touring, heat seats AND WHEEL PACKAGE for only $5 more a month. Needless to say after test driving it and realizing it wasn't such a bumpy ride, I took it. I decided to put 0 Down and take the higher monthly so less $900 down equals $25 more a month. Even trade off. They were willing to deal so readily because it was the end of the month and they needed one more sale to reach their quota.

Saab of South Bay in Los Angeles CA is a small dealership, under renovation so they were willing to really make a deal. No tricks or gimmicks!! They showed me all the invoices and punched the numbers in the computer with me watching. I checked all over LA and no other dealer could match the initial $345 + tax with $900 down on that Black car. In fact, even after I faxed a sheet from South Bay with the figures, the other dealers didn't believe me and said it was absolutely FAKE! That made me skeptical but after all is said and done, it was true! South Bay gave me the full $1000 incentive plus took a $50 hit and threw in tint, mats and detailing. I know they had to dip into their holdback or other 'secret' profit they had, but I don't mind b/c it can't be that much..prob not even 1% over cost. Plus they were so easy to deal with, mostly over the phone until I went in today since I live about 30 miles from them. Spent 4 hours but that was because I couldn't decide on the color or options. They didn't pressure me at all but instead kept adding things to sweeten the pot and made the deal even more tempting. I'm gonna pick up the car tomorrow after the detailing and tint. I hope everything gets completed without a hitch. I have everything in writing but you never know about these dealers!
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    That looks like a pretty good lease deal you got. Thats pretty much in line with what I'm wanting to pay for a 9-3 lease. The only thing I'd have to change is 15K as there is no way I can only drive 12K a year. Enjoy your new car.
    Looks like the cheap lease deals are continuing through at least March.

http://www2.saabusa.com/leasen/default.asp?m=93&t=l&src=9- 3s
  • kyh2kyh2 Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to get a new 9-3, and I was wondering if you all thought that this was a good deal. It says that it expires in Feb 28th, but the dealer says that the deal still is good. $23K seems like a good deal, but I don't understand how the price could be lower than the invoice.

Also, I have heard people talk about a $1,000 incentive? How did you find this out?

Thanks for your help in advance!

http://www.bbsaab.com/frameset1.asp?LINK=NewCars&MAIN=new_car- - s_wildcard1
    I love it! I picked up my new 9-3 in Midnight blue..it's kinda dark blue with slight purplish tint and it looks black at night. But it's a great color that's different from my wife's blue RSX. It drives great and the dealer went through every feature when I picked it up that took 30 min. I was impressed that there was no funny business. The car was exactly as described. Saab of South Bay is awesome!

I did inquire about the new lease deals this month b/c I was curious and I wanted to compare. Basically it's the same monthly but a little bit higher ( on my lease it would have been $7 more). The incentives are now $2000 on any linear but the Money Factor is higher (0.00022 to 0.00057) and the Residual is now 51% instead of 53% (so the depreciation is more and thus you pay more over the term of the lease). so I saved a little bit by getting the car now. Another advantage is that the bottom trim is color coordinated like the Vector and Arc. It looks much nicer than the black plastic trim. One negative thing I've noticed is that the CD changer is SLOOOOOOW. Maybe i'm not working it right. Anyways, I still am very satisfied with the whole deal and would fully recommend it to anyone looking to get a great car.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    How does the new 9-3 stack up against the Volvo s-60? They both are stylish but I'm wondering which one has more of a "tiger in it's tank" Also, could the Volvo be a bit more reliable over time or is it too soon to tell with the new model 9-3. I am not a "The Fast & Furious " type of driver, but I would like something that is sporty and a little zippy.
    I still haven't make a deal, but will pass along what I'm being told by dealers as to the lease deals. I'd appreciate any news you have on purchase incentives, as now I'm leaning that way. Why buy? After spending hours and hours studying and trying to understand leases, and after getting costs, prices, payment quotes, etc. that vary widely from Saab dealer to Saab dealer, I just don't get it. As I'm reluctant to enter any sort of large financial deal that I can't really understand, buying makes more sense. There is enough variability in the info I'm getting to make me uneasy. Buying, I can understand!

Leases: Take Saab's lease money but now get $2,000 (instead of only $1,000 before 3/1) discount on the 36 mo. 10k mile special. The money factor has gone from .00022 to .00024 (says one dealer) or .00057 (says a second dealer, corroborating one post above--I think it's probably .00057/month rate). The residual is now 52%, down from 54%. (Someone above says the residual is now 51%). Also, if you are a current GM (including Saab or Saturn) owner or purchaser, you get another $1,000 discount. See this link for this new program: http://www.gm.com/automotive/vehicle_shopping/overdrive/retail/in- dex.html

Buying: The basic stipper cars I've looked at, with MSRP of 26,525 (including destination, received prior to Jan, 03) did have, before 2/28, these purchase incentives according to several dealers and this list: $1,500 Saab suppport for customers who do not use Saab financing + $1,000 for customers, regardless of their source of $ and apparently regardless of any sort of "Launch" option being on the car. Total= $2,500 if you could find your own money and pay cash to the dealer. Has this changed? TIA for replying! I'm going to ask around again tomorrow and I'll report back, but sure would appreciate any info. or rumors you've heard.
  • mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    I'm wondering if any of you 2003 9-3 "old-timers" know yet whats going on with On-star. I took delivery of my new 9-3 in November and still have not heard a word.
    Anyone? Otherwise, this vehicle is running great - NO problems!
    **--Mooselook--**
    ... and the Residual is now 51% instead of 53% ...

Ohhh good point there! You must be quoting the residual on the 12,000 miles per year, which was previously 53%, and is now down to 51%.

Looking at the leasing deal posted on the Saab web site, the residual for 10,000 miles per year is now 52%, down from 54% in January and February. So that likely means the 15k/year is now 50%. You're right, that will raise the monthly lease payments somewhat because one is paying for more depreciation.

But if the incentive has gone from $1,000 to $2,000, that will certainly help! Obviously Saab still feels a need to keep discounting the vehicles.