Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• Options
    millsk1millsk1 Member Posts: 24
    Sela, the 1998 Odyssey had much more power than previously. It is essentially a tall wagon.

Scmelvin, you should definitely get a AT cooler. You will need at least a Class III hitch.

As for the warranties, I would be pretty mad if one of my business managers didn't at least offer an extended warranty. That is his job.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Someone was asking about buying an Odyssey in Canada a while back:

Gray Market Cars

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    After reading that article, I think few persons would want to buy a gray market car.

Looks like your odds of getting taken are just too high for the money you save.

I suppose it could be done if you could find a reputable dealer and get a good valid warrant. The question is how do you do that? The article does not offer any help with that.

Maybe someone will come up with a detailed how to manual on how to do it.
  • Options
    johnnyrfjohnnyrf Member Posts: 65
    I have a '99 Odyssey with 42K miles on it and the tranny was slipping in reverse when backing up hills. Remedy was to replace the transmission. Thank God I bought the extended warranty. I recommend to all early Odyssey owners to buy that extended warranty.
    As far as tires go, I put Michelin Radial Pluses from Costco on the van. These tires are the same as X-1's. I am very happy with the performance of these tires.
  • Options
    cavluccavluc Member Posts: 1
    There is a way of doing it while minimizing the risk.

First, use Carfax.com (which was mentioned in the article is a source used by the investigators) to determine the origin of the car. (Obviously, get the VIN number of the van before you buy).

Second, purchase a third party extended warranty to cover any problems with the van. I think there is a Edmunds article about evaluating third-party extended warranties. (Obviously, first ask the company if they will cover a Canadian-market van.)

The only way of being completely sure would be to buy a new vehicle in Canada and then have it converted to meet US specifications. That way, it never enters the Gray Market.
  • Options
    ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Old Odyssey much smaller, less power than 99 Odyssey. Old Odyssey very reliable. Large 99 Odyssey had a few problems but low percentage.
    Could buy new 2002 Caravan, Voyager or Kia Sedona with 100,000 mile warranty for not much more money than 4 year old 98 Odyssey.
  • Options
    liebesiliebesi Member Posts: 33
    What is the recommended breakin for a new ODY. I am picking mine up next weekend and have to drive it home 200 miles on the highway. I have been told not to set the cruise or drive more than a few miles at the same speed? any other comments or input??
  • Options
    bibbensbibbens Member Posts: 6
    You must post 50 times a day on various boards. How would you even know how your vehicle operates?
  • Options
    emmaj1emmaj1 Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone comment on the following concerns:

1) should we wait for the 2003 Odyssey LX or buy the 2002 Odyssey LX now?

2) is the DVD option worth the price?

3) re: #1, what are the changes with the 2003 LX?

4) is there any hope of getting the dealer to budge on the MFRP? That is, what are the best tactics.

5) if money were not a concern and you had the choice of the Sienna LE vs Odessey LX...what choice would you make?

Thanks in advance...a possible future owner of a Ody.
  • Options
    djohnson64djohnson64 Member Posts: 43
    I have the same questions about the 03 model.
    We are less than 2 months away from the typical release date of the 03 models; yet, I've heard very little about the upcoming model. This leads me to suspect that there may be no changes. As far as the price, one rumor that I've heard is a $300 increase.
    The Sienna would be state-of-the-art technology, but I'm always concerned about the first year models.
  • Options
    chowrchowr Member Posts: 11
    Newbie here on the Odyssey boards. Been driving a BMW X5 SUV which I love, with two kids (5 and 2 yrs old). Problem is that we really need a 7-passenger vehicle (for all those visitors we get and maybe a third child within the next two years) to replace a '95 Accord. All I have been looking at is SUV's (Pilot, MDX, etc) but after seeing them I am not impressed with the 3rd row seats -- realistically you can't use them on a regular basis and carry stuff. Today I saw and sat in the Ody and I think I'm changing my mind about mini vans and considering this as a possibility whereas yesterday if you ask me I would of said "Never be caught dead in one of these."

We live in a very hilly area and my concern is during the winter when it snows or ices up about once or twice for maybe a week. Any advice from current owners on the Ody handling these kind of conditions? I don't go off road or tow anything. I know we are here in the summer now but I'm thinking ahead so I need all you owners out there to think and remember back to the winter. :)
  • Options
    rockycowrockycow Member Posts: 114
    I have had my Ody since Jun 99, it is pretty hard to beat for a around town multi-pax vehicle. On the road it is terrific, however, mine needs the 240hp and the 5 speed which is the current drive train set up. It is very versatile, handles well and has a surprising turning radius. The airconditioner handled 118 in Nevada during a 7 pax 4K trip. My wife loves it more than I do, but I'm lusting for the 240hp.
    pretty hard to go wrong for an all around family vehicle.
    rockycow
  • Options
    jracinejracine Member Posts: 28
    Look, MY car is an '02 9-5 Aero I drive during the week...

My week-ends are spent in our '02 Odyssey EX-L. Just came back from at 100 miles trip (200 miles total today). We reclined the 2 middle seats on our way back, both kids fell asleep... Tons of stuff in the huge space beside the 3rd seat... Well, I love it.

Now, winter: I live in Montréal. It is as efficient as any (most?) front wheel vehicle you can find.

A Great Buy!
  • Options
    wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    Feels a bit odd to write this when it's 90+ degrees out. I've got '00 EX. Live in CT. Handling in snow with stock Michelin Symmetry tires is reasonable. Rear end can wiggle a bit if you corner harder than prudent. Traction Control System quite effective at getting you started, and going up slippery hills. Van can push it's way through about six inches of snow, deeper than that starts getting difficult because you don't have a lot of ground clearance.
    I bought 4 Michelin Arctic Alpens in 1/01, made big improvement in handling on icey roads. Rear end tracks better, more grip for stopping on slippery surfaces. Highly recommend Alpens, or Blizzaks for icey roads. Of course this past winter was a waste - didn't get more than 6 inches all winter.
    If you only get a snow and ice for a week out of the year, stock van is more than adequate. If it gets slippery, stay home til the plow comes through. But, if you have to get out no matter the weather, or there's a lot of snow/ice, get the snows.
  • Options
    bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Vary speed, don't keep revs at the same RPMs. Don't ever exceed 4,000RPMs during break-in. No fast acceleration, no hard braking (2000 miles). Basic stuff!

I couldn't agree more with wpalkowski. I also have Artic Alpins on my 2000 EX. I have Blizzaks on my Subaru Legacy. The Odyssey with stock Symmetry tires has better traction than the AWD Legacy GT with stock Bridgestone RE92s (poor traction on anything icy with those Bridgestones).
  • Options
    dchoppdchopp Member Posts: 256
    I just got back from Las Vegas (Daughters wedding) and rented a Ford Windstar for 9 days. Sure makes us appreciate our 2002 Oddy. My wife and I both agree, that we are glad we did not buy the Windstar
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    dchopp:

You mean you didn't drive your Ody from PA to Vegas instead renting one there?
    Have a good day.

bjk
  • Options
    benzrulesbenzrules Member Posts: 13
    Just bought a Honda Pilot and this is my first Honda to own (have owned other Japanese cars but no Honda). I am really enjoying it so far, but had a question. I purchased the 7/100 extended warranty, but of course have 60 days to cancel. My question is for the longtime Honda owners, what problems are typical after the factory 3/36 expires. I have never purchased the warranty for other Japanese vehicles, but have for the Mercedes I own as these repairs can get wickedly expensive. Would appreciate feedback from other long-time Honda owners as to basic repair items and costs further down the road. Thanks for your help.

Stephen
  • Options
    I like you never owned a Honda but purchased a 2002 Oddy and also purchased the extended warranty.When the Oddy first came out there were problems. Now I am reading on this Forum about 1999 oddy owners having transmission problems out of warranty and honda wants $5000 to replace them. Being the Pilot is new I would keep the extended warranty. The internet prices for extended Warranty's are around $850. I paid $820 for mine.
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    02 Ody has different tranny (5 sped) than 99-01 (4 speed) Ody. I believe 02 Ody shares engine and tranny with Acura MDX and Honda Pilot. To predict the reliability of Pilot and 02 Ody should check out Acuara MDX board.

I have an 01 Ody EX, I believe there are some problems with 99 Ody, but problems have been solved. Corss my fingers. LOL
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I knew the 2002 Ody had the five speed but I did't know what platform it came from.The thing that upsets me the most is the Dealers preach Honda reliability which they do have a good track record, but when you do have a major problem such as a tranny. The first words out of there mouths is that it will cost $5000 to replace it and then its a rebuilt. After some complaining, the price comes down to a more reasonable figure. Why don't they just offer that price to begin with.
  • Options
    queballqueball Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased 02 Oddy LX. Only feature from EX that I really wanted was the keyless remote entry. Dealer wants about $400 for this. I can purchase from H and A for much less but wanted to know how difficult this would be to install.
  • Options
    jsandekjsandek Member Posts: 2
    I drove a odyssey for the first time today. I'm in southwestern CT. Dealer had a 2000 EX/cloth with over 50K miles as a demo. This is the right size for us right now. The wait for a EX-L RES is supposedly 8 weeks. Deal is MSRP but with about "$750-1000" additional for dealer installed accessories (my choice). Otherwise they want $1500 over MSRP. This seems like a rip but they claim to have 28 deposits for incoming vans. Will the 03's be out soon? Eight weeks from now could be the beginning of the new model year. My lease is not up till December but #3 will be here by mid August. Does anyone have info on the 03's? Can these vans be had for MSRP?

Thanks
  • Options
    bostongardenbostongarden Member Posts: 25
    Almost two years ago, I paid MSRP less $1 from a southern CT dealer for my 2001 Odyssey. They delivered it to my door in Boston at no additional charge. Email me and I'll send you the name of the dealer. If Steve says I can post the name of the dealer here, then I will (I'm not soliciting). I did not purchase any "extras."
  • Options
    vibrationvibration Member Posts: 10
    Anyone experiencing noise of gas slushing in gas tank. Hear it at slow speed forward or reverse and then applying brakes. Gas tank can be full and noise is still there. 2002 Odyssey - have had for 2 weeks. Will call the dealer Monday so hear what they have to say. Thanks.
  • Options
    Since your lease is up in Dec. I would wait until the 2003. Probably just a change in colors as the major upgrade was done in 2002. Find yourself a high volume dealer such as Rick Case in Cleveland , Ohio I got my 2002 for $850 below MFSP. Very few dealers charge above MFSP today unless there crooks. Infact the general trend under prices paid is below MFSP. Act NOW to get your name on the list for Nov. Dec.
  • Options
    This is normal. It has existed from 1999 and up.Had to go to a flater type gas tank do to the magic seat design.
  • Options
    alindaalinda Member Posts: 67
    There won't be any significant changes for the 03 model -- except color:
    Granite Green to be replaced by Sagebrush
    Mesa Beige to be replaced by Sandstone
    Adding Nighthawk Black Pearl
    Adding a dark blue pearl (can't remember the name -- Midnight or Sapphire or something)

Plus, from what I understand, the price will increase about 400 dollars. Expect to pay a premium for black and dark blue, as these will be very difficult to locate during this first year -- production will be very limited.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We don't mind folks talking about their dealers (unless you are a salesperson trying to drum up some "bizness"!). We discourage posting contact information because it looks like advertising and we don't have time or resources to verify phone numbers, email addresses and the like. Thanks for asking.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Geez, somebody that follows the rules. Whats this world coming too?
  • Options
    liebesiliebesi Member Posts: 33
    Finally got my ODY on Friday! Love it so far, drove it home about 200 miles. Now I am going to buy some accessories from the internet for far less money than the dealers want to rip you off for! Only thing I miss is the programable driver seat, we have it on the Pathfinder, and the direction gauge, other than that we love it! And we paid less than MSRP!! Not all Honda dealers are looking to stick it to you but I did have to get it in another state and had a contact that could get us a good deal, it was a long tiring process but worth it!
  • Options
    I'd wait for an '03 if you can wait that long. A few weeks ago I asked in Portland, OR dealer the price of an EX and dealer said MSRP and they weren't budging. But a friend just e-mailed around and found one in Bend (an EX-L) which is four hours away for $1300 under MSRP. I think it just takes some calling around.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I'd be surprised if that $1300 proved real. Sounds like a lowball to get your friend into the showroom.
  • Options
    wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    Anybody know the actual release date for the 2003 models? Purchasing within the next three months...

Out of Minneapolis, I am wiling to loop to Green Bay, Chicago, Des Moines, and Sioux Falls (anybody with experience at Vern Eide?). Looking for an LX w/keyless and CD =OR= base EX - all depends on the deal. Prefer the 2003 with the Dark Blue... Looking for good deal and dealer experience... Thanks!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • Options
    ody01ody01 Member Posts: 100
    Got 2001 Odyssey EX May 2001. Not disappointed when 2002 has 5 Speet Auto and 240 HP vs 205 HP in mine. Not worried about transmission. Some 99 Ody transmission, sliding door problems but very low percentage. 15,700 miles 14 months no problems.
  • Options
    Actually it was real. Our friend secured the $1300 under MSRP over the internet and then took a weekend off and him and his family drove four hours to Bend from Portland and picked up his brand new EX-L. He wanted an EX-L (Res) but the dealer said that car was at MSRP. So he took the $1300 off MSRP without the res and is looking for an after-market dvd entertainment system. So it wasn't a trick to get you into the dealer because our friend has a brand new 2002 EX-L to show for it. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that it is a dealership far, far from the city and maybe they just wanted to move their inventory.
  • Options
    pmsuitepmsuite Member Posts: 3
    I posted a couple weeks ago about my tires. I thought I would go with the Regatta IIs or the Aquatrends from Goodyear.

I called several tire dealers and stopped by the Firestone dealer. I finally decided to go with the Firestone Affinity LH 30s. They were the only H rated tire for the 215 65 16.

I wanted the H rated tire because of the stiffer sidewalls. My belief is that the stiffer sidewalls will work better since the Ody is so heavy. I think I got a good deal considering I bought 3 tires and the 4th was free. The tires were $81. The tires were a new style which maybe the reason for the buy 3 and get one free.

I also got a lifetime alignment for $100. When I picked up the van, I asked them to align. I have heard that the cars normally come out of the factory out of alignment.
  • Options
    bostongardenbostongarden Member Posts: 25
    So, I've got this bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell...

I purchased my 2001 Odyssey from Executive Honda which is located in Wallingford, CT. Costco was the lead generator as I made my initial purchase request through them. Supposedly, I got $200 off because of that. Ray was the name of the salesperson who assisted me with everything. By the way, the reason, I said I paid $1 under MSRP, though I got $200 off, is because they added a $199 conveyance fee, which in my opinion was BS. Had I been in a stronger negotiating position, I would not have paid it.

Dave, I'm not sure whether it is ok to list the url of this dealership, but I feel comfortable saying that one might try deleting the space between the words "Executive" and "Honda," and then adding a ".com" after it and see where the web takes you.
    Good luck to our southern Connecticut friend.

With respect to the transmission issues. I have only personal experience to offer. Mine was replaced almost immediately after purchase, however, I am not convinced anything much was wrong with it. It drove fine after the warning light came on. I did notice one difference after the tranny change, the new one had a little kick down somewhere between 1st and 2nd, whereas my original did not. I think this might be a brake assist related feature. I've grown accustomed to it, and I rarely perceive it these days, however, I preferred my first transmission which did not have this functionality.

Were I to be in the market for a minivan again, I would buy an Odyssey again without hesitation...that is unless the new Toyota is looking better:-)

• Options
    newbaby3newbaby3 Member Posts: 12
    Well I put a deposit down for a EX-L RES but the dealer claims that if I want silver I'll need to wait for 2003. Some rather vague information of possible pricing in August followed by availability in September at the earliest. Also some curious pricing policies, supposedly MSRP through the internet manager vs required accessories "on the floor". Worse case scenario is they renig on MSRP and I get my deposit refunded. If so I'll get something else. Does anyone know when Honda normally changes calender year? My expectation from this board is that the MSRP will be up $400 or so. I smell something fishy however, I think the supply of these things is being manipulated to generate the feeding frenzy. The economy sucks and people are refraining from buying cars, are they not?
  • Options
    Are they the only dealer you can work with? Availability is tight, but I'm sure there's a car out there somewhere.

As to the car biz, it's fared pretty well, people are still buying cars.
  • Options
    Dealers are no longer able to order 2002 models. We have not been for the last 2 months. So, if that dealer says he can't get one in silver until the 2003s come out in Sept, then that is probably the truth. Try switching to Granite Green if that color is OK with you. This is the last hurrah of GG, so there might be some on the move. And about changes in MSRP, Honda doesn't tell us ahead of time. We don't know the prices of new cars/model years until the cars arrive on the lot. Regarding the supply being manipulated: Honda is a conservative Japanese company. They look at the long term to plan for their company to weather the tough times in the economy, as well as the good times. They don't expand at leaps and bounds, and this creates more stability for the bottom line, the workers, and the consumer, even if it does limit the production of vehicles.
  • Options
    jsandekjsandek Member Posts: 2
    Thanks alinda, this is newbaby3 again. Another dealer called me back tonight re my inquiry on 2002's. They claimed they could still place an order and the car could be available in 2 to 3 months. Furhter, that new model year Odysseys tradiotnally are in November approx. This latest dealer is just across the state line. They also cautioned on some dealers trying to sell grey market cars from Canada. So I have 3 Connecticut dealers telling me that for what I want I need to get a 2003 and a New York dealer telling me something else. If anyone knows if 2003's could be available in Sept or October, it would be useful. Perhaps I should ask Honda directly?
  • Options
    Huh. Quite confusing. Maybe we are just so backlogged that anyone ordering a few specific colors now will have to wait for 2003. Who knows.
  • Options
    Perhaps they still have some cars left on allocation. I'd approach with caution, ask to see the allocation sheet before trusting anyone.
  • Options
    timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    Am still alive, but seem to have lost the Odyssey urge (the Yukon XL beckons). Was out surfing as is no longer my habit and couldn't resist peeking in here. I'm surprised to see so many familiar monikers (and you all know who you are!). Howdy all, from Texas!!!

So, what is the general "take" on that gosh-durned-mistake-of-a-green anyway (not that I'll let on how I feel ;-))?
  • Options
    gessgess Member Posts: 90
    How's life in the flood state?
  • Options
    whambamwhambam Member Posts: 37
    How y'all doin', podnah? How's them thar li'l tykes o yourn?

imageJarhead Joe
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...we were recently dicussing you over at the cafe. Hope all is well.

whammy - midnight kind of early to be getting up?? On Topic - is the Ody still blue?
  • Options
    moonkatmoonkat Member Posts: 265
  • Options
    whambamwhambam Member Posts: 37
    The Ody is the extremely rare and valuable Deep Velvet Blue Pearl.

Admittedly, Honda's finest color what ever was.