Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda6 Hatchback

Comments

• Options
    la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I believe...

I will have a 6i 5 door Grand Touring...
  • Options
    mazdamotoringmazdamotoring Member Posts: 18
    My bike is a 2006 Trek Pilot 5.0. With the back seats of my Mazda6s down, I can slide the entire bike in without removing a wheel (or anything else for that matter). Very impressive. And it's so easy to put the seats down. They're spring-loaded, so you just pull the handle from inside the trunk, and the seat pops down, revealing a huge pass-through. If my bike didn't fit, I would have gone with the hatch, but it turned out to be unnecessary.
  • Options
    harley12qttharley12qtt Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,i have been in love with the Mazda6 since it came out in 03.My wife and I have been driving numorus Ford Taurus's for years,and never once had any problems with any of them.We purchased a 2006 Mazda6 with 30,000 miles on it,and the first time I drove it,the lumbar seat gave out,and I called the dealer about it,and he said they have had about 10-12 that have failed,and will replace the lumbar with an updated one.We only have about 2,400 miles left under warranty,and if anyone had any other problems with there Mazda6,could you PLEASE let me know,and i will make sure to address any other possibilities with my dealer.Thank you so much for your help.
  • Options
    harley12qttharley12qtt Member Posts: 2
    sorry,i meant to say 50,000 miles
  • Options
    dsiriasdsirias Member Posts: 34
    There was not a single 5 door Grand Touring with 5 spd Manual in California. They were all automatics. So I put down a deposit and had dealer build the car and order it. on May 5. Just in time before they start ramping up for 08's. Dealer says it will take six weeks at the outside for delivery. Frankly that seems to soon. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.
  • Options
    mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Actually, 6 weeks isn't bad. Remember that the car is assembled in Michigan...
  • Options
    mazdaedmazdaed Member Posts: 7
    It looks like it'll cost almost $600 to remove the wing spoiler from a '07 Mazda6 HB (includes repainting, etc.). Has anyone tried to substitute a lip spoiler or something like that on the deck lid ? It will probably be another brand since not all the holes are covered up by a Mazda lip spoiler.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I have a 07 Grand Touring 5 door and I also wanted the lip spoiler i/o the wing. About $700 for the lip spoiler installed including body and paint.

I'm getting used to the wing, the lip spoiler is simply not worth $700 to me.
  • Options
    quote IIHS_
    The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has released cost estimates for the kind of accident that can happen in a parking lot or commuter traffic, when cars are traveling 6 miles per hour.

The Pontiac G6 sustained more than $4,000 in damage from a front-end collision at only 6 mph, according to an insurance industry-funded safety group.
    It found only three midsize cars - the Mitsubishi Galant, Toyota (Charts) Camry, and Mazda 6 - came away with damage of $1,500 or less from each of the four crash tests that checked for damage from front, rear, front corner and rear corner collisions. The Institute tested 17 midsize cars in the low-speed test.

Meanwhile, four vehicles saw damage of $4,000 or more from a low-speed front-end collision.

The Volkswagen Passat had the most expensive repair bill at $4,594,-end quote

Nice to know the Mazda6 performed well.
  • Options
    jesscurtin70jesscurtin70 Member Posts: 3
    Eventhough my '04 M6s HB can accomodate 2 bikes in back, I'm interested in finding a rack rather than bang up 2 bikes laying on top of each other. Since I have the rear spoiler and a very short trunk lid due to the hatch, I'm at a loss as to what I could get. I'm not interested in a roof rack, since I'm far from an avid cyclist. I thought about having a hitch receiver installed so that I could get a hitch rack. Has anyone had a hitch receiver installed? My husband thinks they might have to modify (cut) the bumper cover....obviously that's not an option for me!!!
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The instructions for this one don't mention cutting the facia. The one I had custom made sat right below the facia.

It's cheap and you can do it yourself.
  • Options
    PRESS RELEASE:

MAZDA6 Sports Sedan & 5-Door*

The MAZDA6 set new standards for performance, driver appeal and styling when it was launched four years ago. As a vehicle that married sports performance with refinement and practicality, it has proven a huge sales success and picked up more than 70 awards for automotive excellence.

For 2008, the MAZDA6 gets even better with a new standard Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), BOSE ® stereo system (Touring models) and 17-inch alloy wheels (i Sport models).

New or enhanced for 2008:

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) standard on all models
    Standard BOSE ® stereo system (Touring models)
    Standard 17-inch alloy wheels (i Sport models)
    New exterior colors – Volcanic Red (4-door model) and Silver Metallic
    Standard security alarm system (Sport VE and Touring)

*To better meet customer demands for the MAZDA6 Sports Sedan and 5-Door, the MAZDA6 Sport Wagon will be discontinued for the 2008 model year.
  • Options
    sir_timbitsir_timbit Member Posts: 39
    Hi all, hope I've got the right forum for this...

With the exchange rate being what it is, I'm very tempted to buy a Mazda 6 hatch in the U.S and 'import' it back up here to Canada. I'm in Alberta. The difference in pricing would seem to be thousands of dollars, based on web-site pricing.

I'm sure there are people out there who've done this. Is it worth it? Being that the U.S. Mazda 6 is made in Michigan(?) I think it avoids some of the import taxes other models would have.

Would anyone know if this would void the warranty? I understand some dealers/manufacturers may do this.

I'm still just considering this, nothing concrete. But unless the warranty is void, it seems it might be worth it.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Why don't you also check out this discussion: Importing Car into Canada from US. There's a lot of good info there.
  • Options
    pepjrppepjrp Member Posts: 5
    I have an offer of 17995 for a 6i auto 5-door, but after reading all the issues with the M6's on this forum I am having second thoughts.
    I really like the way the car drives/handles and the seats are very comfortable. It is lacking a few features I would like to have, but I have yet to find any car that has all my wants.
    The engine is no racer, which is fine by me, as I am more interested in the MPG.

Am I reading too much "doom and gloom" into the info on the forums? I realize almost every car will have a few issues over time, it just seems the M6 has more....tell me I'm wrong....
  • Options
    Well you are the first post in over a month and if you look at any vehicle's page, you will see issues as well. I've had 2 2.3l and 1 3.0l. going back to '03. I think the 2.3's were more fun.
  • Options
    ...tell me I'm wrong...

Okay, you're wrong! :)

Remember that nobody really talks about something unless it's a problem. For every issue that's brought up by someone on this board, there are literally thousands of satisfied owners that are more than happy with their 6.

Me, for instance. 3 years and 55K miles later, the only issue I've had was a bad gas cap that tripped the Check Engine light, replaced under warranty. Other than that, I love my 6, and plan on seriously looking at the second-gen model when I plan on buying my next car in 2010. The gas mileage isn't bad (I have the 3.0L V6 with 5-speed manual), the handling is outstanding, the braking and steering are both direct and accurate, and the styling pretty much puts other midsize cars to shame (IMO).

Buy the 6, you won't regret it! :shades:

BTW, what year 6 are you looking into?
  • Options
    slickdogslickdog Member Posts: 225
    I'll chime in with more cheers for the Mazda6. My '04 wagon is the best car I've owned in many ways, and I have enjoyed it immensely. The only significant issue I have had so far is brakes, I had two hung pads at 36K miles which were not covered by warranty, but the same thing happened to my Outback wagon too. The salt on the roads during winter here is pretty hard on everything under the vehicle, so I actually expect to need at least some brake work on any car I own every 3-5 years or so.

Of course if you really want a mid-size hatchback (er, 5-door) it's either Mazda6, Malibu Maxx (what were they thinking with that styling?), or a European model (most seem quite nice, but so much more $$$ to buy and fix).

Mazda doesn't have the Honda/Toyota-like reputation for reliability, but I think most Honda and Toyota models are terribly styled and have the personality of a wet dishrag, and I'm willing to take on some additional risk of mechanical trouble (be it real or imagined) so that I can actually enjoy looking at and driving my car every day.

Seems like many of the more vocal owners in the forums have had dealer issues exacerbating their car trouble, so you may want to try and find out what sort of reputation your local dealers have before committing to Mazda. If you are purchasing from a Mazda dealer you should try to get the car's service history from them as well. My other impression of the postings here is that many of the issues described have been similar in nature, so there doesn't seem to have been a huge variety of problems.

It's hard to know what the reliability of the Mazda6 really is relative to others in it's class, but my guess is that it's at least average, and quite possibly better than average. Any discussion forum online should also not be considered a good yardstick for measuring reliability. As others have said, people tend to be most vocal when they are unhappy, and tend to say very little or nothing at all when they are happy.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
  • Options
    pepjrppepjrp Member Posts: 5
    Thanks to everyone who replied...I was leaning towards getting the 2007 6i 5-door, but may go for the 6s. It is really getting tough to find exactly what I want in the left over 07's so I may have to compromise on color choice, options, etc..
    The local dealer is not offering a very good deal, and the best offer I had was from a dealer 90 miles away. Hopefully the local dealer's service department won't have a problem if I bring in a car for service that was not bought from them.
  • Options
    jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I'm sure you won't have a problem with service based on where you buy, but I'd give the local dealer a chance to match...or at least come close enough that driving the 180 mi round trip is not worth the savings.
  • Options
    slickdogslickdog Member Posts: 225
    If you haven't already, show the local dealer your better offer, that usually works well for me. They ought to be getting anxious to sell those '07 models pretty soon as well.

If you buy elsewhere I'm sure the local dealer's service department will still be happy to take your business even if their sales department didn't sell you the car.
  • Options
    They ought to be getting anxious to sell those '07 models pretty soon as well.

There are only 116 days left in 2007! :P
  • Options
    I think the real point is that the '08 (with some nice changes) will be here in November.
  • Options
    I think the real point is that the '08 (with some nice changes) will be here in November.

There are hardly any changes at all in the 2008 and they better be here before November since they are already built.
  • Options
    They are already built? I'm not sure where that info came from unless you are talking about pre-production cars. Last I saw, Job 1 was scheduled for Oct. 1st.

As far as features being insignificant, I'd wait solely for the improved interface head unit with auxiliary jack. To each his own...
  • Options
    The 08's are already at dealerships.
    1YVHP80C785M01366
    1YVHP80C685M00239 Here are a couple of VIN's if you are interested in verification.
    Where did you see Oct. Job 1 info.?
  • Options
    My apologies, I thought I was posting in the Mazda5.

Now I agree with you 100%. Perhaps a host would be kind enough to delete all that.
  • Options
    and I'll also reccomend that people check out Bemis Mazda in Sycamore, Il.
  • Options
    lefthandmanlefthandman Member Posts: 47
    I'll add my kudos also. I've got an '04 M6 S 5-door, 3.0 V6 with the 5-speed manual, currenly at just over 43,000 miles. Other than an issue with the clutch during the first year of ownership (covered fully by Mazda), the car has been great, excellent mileage for a V6, and best of all, it outhandles any other mid-sized Japanese or American 5-door and/or sedan (Accord, Camry etc). Bottom line: buy a M6 if you want a driver's car that is pretty reliable. If your top concern is reliability and the car's handling is secondary, go for something like an Accord or Camry. The Mazda is the most European of Japanese brands (IMHO).
  • Options
    autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    Found a some more info on the new Euro-spec Mazda6 that I thought might interest some. Nothing earth-shattering, but every bit counts! This is from Mazda's UK site:

"An advanced six-speed manual transmission engages the new range of engines, which includes a class-leading 2.5-litre petrol engine (170 PS) and an updated diesel (140 PS). Steering and handling enhancements give a greater sense of smoothness, precision and confidence.

Environmental and safety performance has also been enhanced. Safety features include a new brake system w/ larger disc brakes; ABS, DSC, electronic traction control, brake assist, front active headrest and six airbags for all vehicles in the UK.

Distinctive exterior design is complemented by a more spacious interior with pleasing and intuitive functionality – like the ‘welcome-mode’ lighting that gives the sense of the car coming to life. Impressive new technology includes the CF-Net steering wheel control switches, an eight-speaker, BOSE® Premium Sound System and a Bluetooth® hands-free mobile phone interface (Dependent on grade).

Launching December 2007, the new Mazda6 will make daily driving a delight in every way."

Here are a couple of pics of hatch and wagon that are a little different than the others I've seen previously. Mazda, please bring both of these over to the USA!
  • Options
    autohound1autohound1 Member Posts: 45
    Not sure why my pics didn't make it thru, since they showed in the preview. I'll try it here with the url links to them instead. Maybe that will work. Bear with me.....

• Options
    Discussion of the new Mazda6 has been taking place at the 2008 Mazda6 topic.
    Probably a better place to post the pictures.
    The new Mazda6 can not arrive soon enough.
  • Options
    dsiriasdsirias Member Posts: 34
    during a move to storage. The mattress fits too, but the hatch could not close all the way. I made two trips instead of tying the hatch down. I am soooo please with the hauling ability of my grand touring 5 door
  • Options
    exit123exit123 Member Posts: 136
    I hope we get a hatchback with the 2.5L with the 6-speed manual for 2009.
  • Options
    ccd1ccd1 Member Posts: 140
    I've pretty much decided on the Mazda6 Hatchback. Normally, I would wait until the Fall 2008 when dealers really want to unload this car before the new, remodelled 2009 arrives. My concern is that there won't be many hatches by that time. I have no idea how many hatches are made. Can anyone enlighten me?

Also, I'm curious why the upscale Mazda6s use a relatively anemic 6 cylinder engine as oppose to the turbo-charged 4 cylinder used in the CX-7 which is much more powerful
  • Options
    dateachadateacha Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here, so please excuse any indiscretions. I just traded my '98 Passat 1.8t for a Mazda6s hatch. I had E-code lamps in the 'dub and kind of miss them. I know the left side headlamp unit is out of line on my 6, but the question I have is about the relative alignment of the different parts of each lamp. Basically, I want to raise the aim of the fog lamps and the high beams or lower the low beams. I searched for "AIM LIGHTS" here with no luck -- only 5 posts returned and none about headlights. Wrong keyword, maybe?

I believe I've located the screws to adjust the entire lamp -- a notched thumbwheel near the fender and a hex head screw in the crossmember near the radiator. I know changing bulbs can be an interesting exercise from lurking around other forums. Can I aim the projector beams within their housing? If it isn't designed for that, is it worth buying one at a junkyard to see if there is any hope of doing so when the unit is out of the car?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Have you looked at the engine in the Mazdaspeed6?

The hatch is the least common body style, but I don't have numbers for you. I looked a long time to find my used 05 at a dealer 60 miles from home. They are also the most expensive.

On an industrial scale, hatchbacks are not big sellers in the U.S. market for some reason. Most of them out there are compacts or smaller, with the Saab, the Malibu Maxx, and Mazda6 being exceptions to that if you don't try to count SUVs and such.
  • Options
    It might, but the pics don't look like the lights on the 6. It's good to know about the screws loosening. I presume there is some kind of set screw?? The pictures seem to show a locking nut or something. I never encountered that before.

Do you know the model these pics are for? My lights are all round.
  • Options
    I hope this helps for you.

Click me!
  • Options
    The pic shows the back of the left headlight (drivers side). The upper pic shows the dust cap for the high beam. The lower pic shows the low beam dust cap in the center of the housing, with the turn signal holder shown in the upper right of the pic.

The pic is for the '03-'05 unit, but I've been told the '06-up unit adjustments are identical.

They're not locking nuts, BTW, the ends of the bolts are for adjusting with a hex key.

Here's another pic: Click me!
  • Options
    Okay, that helps a lot. Thanks! Now I just need to get time to mess with it in among everything else on my plate.
  • Options
    SNOW DAY! I got a chance to mess with the lights before it got too light to see what affect I was having. After finally locating the low beam lateral adjustment screw, I now have another question -- what genius designed this thing and how are you supposed to adjust the lights?

With the airbox out so I can reach screw B (sort of), the airmass sensor and a few other emissions/engine management items are disconnected. I'm presuming it is not a good thing to run the engine with these things disconnected. Therefore, the light adjustments need to be done with engine off, except the lights stay on for only a few minutes without the ignition on.

I don't know enough about the car yet. What harm will I do if I let it idle with the airmass sensor and other electrical bits around the air intake disconnected? Can you leave the ignition on without the engine running without doing harm to anything? Some cars get their computers screwed up when you do one or the other of these. Is there a way to bypass the auto lights off feature?

Finally, and this is specifically about the photo posted by greyghost, is screw A the adjustment for the fog light height? It's the only one not indicated in your previous drawings, so by logic it must be what I'm after, but does anyone know for sure? It seems that moving the screw doesn't make much change, although I need to drive it to see how much difference I've made. The back wall of the garage isn't far enough away to properly aim lights. I always do final adjustments at night on a lonely back road, which we have a lot of around here.

Thanks again for any and all assistance.
  • Options
    Let me attack this in pieces, so hopefully I can be of service.

what genius designed this thing and how are you supposed to adjust the lights?

Ahhh yes, I've cursed out the supposed headlight "designer" many times myself. I feel your pain. :)

What harm will I do if I let it idle with the airmass sensor and other electrical bits around the air intake disconnected? Can you leave the ignition on without the engine running without doing harm to anything?

Not 100% sure about this, but I'll bet you trip the "check engine" light if the motor is running. If you leave the key at "on" WITHOUT starting the engine, the headlights will not automatically turn off, and you'll be able to work on them without the engine running, and wasting gas. I've done this many times myself without any damage done.

Is there a way to bypass the auto lights off feature?

That? I don't know, but doing the above should make this a non-issue.

is screw A the adjustment for the fog light height?...

Here's a key to the photo I posted earlier, and I apologize for not posting this before.

A: Adjusts the vertical aiming of both the low and high beams.

B: Adjusts the horizontal aiming of the low beam only.

C: Adjusts the vertical aiming of the low beam only.

D: Adjusts the horizontal aiming of the high beam only.

E: Adjusts the vertical aiming of the integrated fog light only.

The "recommended" order of adjustment:
    1. Turn off all lights and remove the low beam fuses to isolate the fog lights and high beams (or cover the low beams with a towel or other object to block out the light).
    2. Turn on the high beams only.
    3. Adjust A to set the high beam at the desired height. This will affect the low beam’s aim too but that will be corrected later.
    4. Adjust D to set the left – right position of the high beam.
    5. Turn off the high beams and turn on the integrated fogs.
    6. Adjust E to set the integrated fogs at the desired height.
    7. Turn off all lights and replace the low beam fuses (or uncover low beams).
    8. Turn on the low beams only.
    9. Adjust C to set the low beam at the desired height.
    10. Adjust B to set the left-right position of the low beam.
    11. You may have to adjust C again if B required a lot of adjustment.

I hope all this helps. Enjoy your snow day!
  • Options
    I guess I should have read this earlier. I just finished adjusting "A" on both lights. I was planning to take the car to town tonight, but I may find I'm blinding people, so we better plan on taking the wife's LaCrosse.

Your pics were very helpful. The above post will help even more. I put a tarp over the open garage door to cut down the incident light and managed to accomplish something. At least now everything is the same height and the left high beam is hopefully aimed down the road instead of into the left ditch.

I found the dustcovers on both sides loose due to the lower locating holes being broken out on both sides. I hope this is not an indication that I will be having light problems like some posters on another site allude to. I might be finding out how good my 4 month 6k mile warranty is. Having the covers off does a lot for being able to get a 13mm wrench on screw A, but I was thinking all it was doing was moving the fogs.

I wonder if I can get my 1/4 inch drive ratchet on those puppies? That would sure be nice. Maybe even a cable style driver with replaceable bits would work, or one of those ratcheting box wrenches from Sears. -- Yes! Another tool I can justify!
  • Options
    According to a post in the 2009 Mazda6 discussion...Allocations are open until March for the 2008 Mazda6, sedan only. The 5-door allocations closed last month

I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds to me like whatever hatchbacks are around now are all that there will be...so you may not want to wait too long.

As for the V6...if that is anemic, what do you call my 2.3L I4? The V6 is a US only thing, in the rest of the world the 2.3L I4 is an upgrade and there is no V6. I think Americans would typically prefer a V6 to a 4 cyl turbo and that is why they sell a V6 here.
  • Options
    I have discovered a major part of the problem is that some ham-fisted person must have worked on these lights before I got the car. There are supposed to be nylon parts that let you adjust the screws from 90 degrees. Most of mine are missing. The two anchors for the high beam moisture/cover are broken on both sides. The screw that does the horizontal adjusting of the left high beam is non-functional. It turns, but the light doesn't move.

I contacted the dealer (Mike Bass Ford, Sheffield Ohio) and they said to bring it in and they will take care of it. I would be absolutely blown away if they replace the light units free of charge, but I can hope. Pulling a headlamp unit apparently involves removing the bumper and a couple other things I really don't feel like getting into on my garage floor in this weather.

Anyways, the design is not quite as demonic as I thought. Those little missing pieces make the whole thing seem almost logical. It's really a pain to try to get at the back of the adjusters when they're buried inside the fender. Even the one for the high beam left-right meant taking the airbox out. With those angle drives in place, you could probably work on the aim of the lights relatively easily.

Thanks for all the help, mz6greyghost!
  • Options
    If they are going to charge you, you might save sone money by having this type of work done at a body shop. They have lower labor rates...of course, it may be that the dealer has a body shop that will do the work.
  • Options
    Yeah, they do. This dealer is a Ford/Mazda store on the west side of Cleveland. Just last year they sold more Fords than any other dealer in Ohio for the first time, unseating a huge megadealer in Columbus. They were eager to sell this car since they had on the lot since late September, and the manager seemed genuinely interested in cultivating me as a customer and reference from 60 or so miles away. I think they want to stay number 1and are willing to work some for that goal, a major step of which is expanding their geographic base.

At least I hope so. Their price on this hatch was over $700 below the local Mazda dealer's price on a wagon that was a year and 16k miles older. I'm pretty happy with the deal I got and right now, at least, am expecting they will treat me right on the lights. We'll see.
  • Options
    rebel71rebel71 Member Posts: 87
    Hi All,

I'm between a few cars right now and was hoping to get some feedback about how this car does in snow and if you use snow tires. Thank you
  • Options
    m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    We have had a pretty substantial amount of snowfall in the Chicago area this winter and the 6 does very well with the stock tires. Obviously, the traction control kicks in a lot but it would be crazy without it. I was a little leary as we have the I4 and I thought it may be a little light and not track well in heavy snow but it has done very nicely. Better than expected but then again I grew up driving back roads in Michigan with rear wheel drive.