Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Inconsiderate Drivers (share your stories, etc.)

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    I'd hope you or your other half would be smart enough not to be a foot dangler.

TX is known for high speed limits. Probably low traffic a lot of the time, and the locals are used to it. Better than dumbo 55 that is common in so much of Oregon.

Speaking of Oregon, saw an OR plated Sienna, plate read "YEN YEN" (so guess the driver), variable speed, weaving around going nowhere, being a typical idiot. Also honked at an Escalade that stopped in the middle of a turn for no reason - probably lost. I know when I'm lost, I just freeze and stop in the middle of a major arterial.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Define dangler, lol.

Lots of considerate drivers here in Las Cruces. I've seen the cops stop two people in just a day, but one may have been a welfare check on an adult tricycle (didn't see the rider). Also noticed that some intersections were signed for red light/speed cameras. Not sure what the reason is but most of the streets are 35 mph and most people are going about that.
    60mph interstate, window down, foot hanging out. I wonder what would happen in an evasive maneuver, or a crash. Can't say I would mourn.

Cameras = we need money.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It really is amazing. We drove down to DC a couple of weeks ago and I saw a DRIVER with a foot hanging out the window of a beater van on the Beltway. I made certain I gave them a wide berth and left them behind me. I didn't want to have to deal with ay surprises!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    and a pickup truck passes me on the left on a generously wide road and *almost* rips my arm off with their mirror.

Well, we are both coasting downhill to a 4-way stop.

He stops and has to wait his turn. I creep on his right, and carefully make a right turn.

He eventually turns right and starts SCREAMING at me about....I really don't know.....

Old guy---face red, temples bulging--weaving as he rants...

I still have no idea what his problem was, but it's disturbing that as we speak he's out there somewhere.
    I hope that's worthy of a ticket. Of course, might be hard to enforce when the powers that be only look for speeders.
    Wasn't me. I was cruising in the Southwest, driving with my knee.
    This morning, saw a woman in a Mini, phone to her ear, go through a yellow very late - cross traffic light was green while she was still in the intersection. There was an oncoming cop who didn't even blink. Nice.

Regarding Shifty's raging truck driver, maybe there needs to be background checks for the purchases of some vehicles, along with license endorsements. Some of them do seem to attract an element.

Oh yeah, warm day here, have already seen numerous greybeards out on Harleys, no gear other than little brain bucket helmets - even the sportbike set here wears more. Skin grafts aren't cheap or fun.
    edited August 2013
    Injury and fatality rates among aging Harley drivers is very high. They really don't have good reflexes anymore, and the larger cruiser HD bikes are ponderous--if you don't have the upper body strength anymore, you're probably gonna drop it on yourself.
    When I took the MSF course, I tried a little cruiser - not easy to maneuver, cumbersome for a large or tall rider. Then I tried a dual sport, and was able to make endless U-turns on a dime.

I suspect older rider casualties will increase faster than younger over the next decade or two.
    Oh you mean those Sportster conversion kits? Yeah, that could make a decent motorcycle out of a Sportster.
    No, like the little 250 cruisers they use in the motorcycle schools. Harmless bikes, but heavy for their size, and too low.

Sportster would be the only Harley I would even go near, and even still, no thanks, not my style, and I just don't care for the noise.
    You can make Harleys quiet and good handling with modest investment---they don't have to be the obnoxious, peace-shattering, foul-handling rattletraps that people sometimes in their wisdom turn them into.

My friend turned a Sportster into a cafe racer, with modified suspension, exhaust and braking, and it was a lovely bike to ride. It was a considerable modification, however.
    If I want expensive and kind of rumbly, I'll just get a Ducati, they look cooler.

I still have a bike itch, but dumping a couple grand into the fintail over the past few months along with having a car payment again has me not wanting any more mouths to feed.

And I would probably be called inconsiderate as I noticed I rarely use turn signals when on a bike, but sometimes will use hand signals.
    And speaking of "lane splitters", I think some of those guys are crazy in the risks they take.
    edited August 2013
    I think CA might be the only state where lane splitting is legal. No way in hell I would do it around Seattle - combine local passive-aggressiveness with poor lane-keeping ability, and you'll be hit within an hour.

Had a decent drive both ways today, but when I was on foot, things devolved. Endless scores of phone-holders, at least 4 or 5 crosswalk crowders, just dumbed down nonsense.

And speaking of the damage to my car from earlier, I contacted the state DOT, and they gave me instructions on how to file a claim. Now that I notice a driving light has a crack that I am certain came from their negligent road works, I am going to pursue it. Hard to believe it is first world, but I guess I have the "freedom" to have a kid and name her Honey Boo Boo, so it all evens out :sick:
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    If so, my new car has 7 left, as I used up 2 of them today.

This morning, I was driving in the rightmost driving lane of a 3-lane freeway, with a long exit lane on the right. It's a long exit lane because the entrance to the interchange ahead frequently backs up at rush hour, resulting in a long line of vehicles. Most people are courteous and get into that line safely and wait their turn, so as not to impede traffic on the thru lanes. Ahead of me, an old Caravan pulls out of the line. OK, I thought, that often happens where someone decides to avoid the bottleneck by going to the next exit. Or, they decided, as did this fellow, to jump the line. He passes about 10 cars and then right before the exit, slams on his brakes and tries to duck back into the line. I have to slam on my brakes because I can't change lanes, there's a BMW cruising down that lane at probably 10-over. Fortunately, the new brakes on the new car are good and I avoid the van, and the driver behind me is alert and is able to duck in behind the BMW. One life down. One of those times I wished I drove a 1970s vintage Crown Vic instead of a new, small car.

Then tonight, driving home on another 3-lane freeway, again in the right lane, there's a tight cloverleaf interchange ahead. A poorly designed cloverleaf in that it empties directly into the right driving lane--no entrance lane at all. An older Camry comes barreling around the cloverleaf and decides to play chicken with the cars in the right lane. This time also, can't move left, a steady stream of cars there. If I maintain speed I estimate there's a good chance the idiot will sideswipe me, or worse. If I floor it, I might be able to avoid him... or might not, plus there's another car directly ahead of me I'd need to avoid. I decide to hit the brakes, the Camry darts in ahead of me, just missing me, and the driver behind me brakes in time. Two lives down, 7 to go.
  • jjackson12jjackson12 Member Posts: 46
    You really should move away from there.

You'll be happier.
    edited August 2013
    But where is really any better overall? At least in this country. Dumbed down is the new normal. Useless negligent enforcement just adds icing on the cake. Just need to save money and take a driving trip every few years to the motorized first world, I guess.

I suppose if I won a lottery, I'd be happier too :)
    Friday afternoon, driving home on a four lane divided highway that had the right lane closed for construction. Most of the traffic was stop & go. Two cars ahead of me, an older Chevy pickup was moving a constant 7-8 mph. I know because I didn't have to touch my brakes for a good three miles. The 3 Series in between us was tailgating, weaving, honking whenever the distance in front of the pickup started to increase. It didn't matter that the cars ahead of him were stopped and he was slowly closing the gap.

Nearing the end of the construction zone there was a stoplight, and the pickup hit the brakes a little hard. You got it, brake check. The BMW driver failed the test. The only damage is where the hitch hit his bumper, and being a BMW probably costs a thousand bucks.

I explained to the responding officer that the pickup was driving sensibly and the BMW was driving erratically. I may have failed to mention the brake check.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    LOL

If that had happened 15 years ago, it would have been me in the "older" Chevy. I always drive that way in stop/go traffic jams. I think I idled through Chicago (on I-90) for three hours without touching the brakes (or clutch) once, while the vehicles around me were hitting their brakes thousands of times alternating between zero and about 25mph.

I never had a very big gap in front of me because if it grew to more than about ten car lengths, someone would jump in there to fill it thinking they might actually get somewhere....

Granted, I didn't "have to stop" suddenly, but I did have a few folks behind me honk a time or two. Apparently, they didn't appreciate the lack of speed variation.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Motorists have developed more cavalier attitudes toward such dangerous behaviors as drunk, aggressive and drowsy driving, just as road deaths have increased for the first time in seven years, a AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety analysis shows.

Americans Have Bad Attitude About Bad Behavior on Roads, Study Finds
    But how does that casualty rate compare to population growth, change in miles driven, change in vehicles on the road now that the economy is marginally better, etc? Sometimes stats like that are used so smug do-gooder control freaks can impose more useless regulations while ignoring real issues.

It is pretty hilarious that driving while drinking or (and?) texting is seen as less of an issue than in the past. But with the low odds of facing real punishment...

I stopped and went at a red light this morning - no reason not to, as the streets were empty and the light shouldn't be activated to begin with.
    I'll bet BMW guy didn't use a signal either. It's part of an option package nobody orders.
    Running the light? Next thing you know, you'll be cruising around with your foot hanging out the window, lol.

I dunno about that study either. The AAA is all about more asphalt, so why care, unless they want to make sure all that asphalt if filled up with cars.
    Stopping and going isn't really the same as running. I wonder how much fuel is wasted by incompetent traffic control management, and how many of these esteemed ranking "engineers" are ever held accountable. Must be a nice gig, do nothing, in for 30, out with 85+.

AAA isn't what I would say free from desires of influence, especially by scaredy cat types who think 60 is just fast enough, thank you, especially as they age. The data should be analyzed, but I bet it isn't avaliable.

This should happen to more phone yappers
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    Stopping and going isn't really the same as running.

No, it isn't the same at all! 'Running' a red light is failure to stop. Be careful about that stop/go business, though, Fin; that sort of action indicates prudent decision-making... something that is frowned upon in today's society! :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I know, I should wait and let an authority think for me. How dare I use my brain against defective infrastructure on an empty road at 0530...

Didn't see anything too bad on the drive home, but on foot I noticed traffic backed up in a turn lane, with a turn light that wouldn't change. This is because a woman I won't describe in an Odyssey at the head of the line was sitting too far back, so the sensor wouldn't detect her. The newbies around here do this all the time, and sometimes you have to honk or yell at them to move up and trip the light. Once I saw a guy actually get out of his car to explain it to the car in front of him. Maybe it works different on the other side of the world.
    I got to talk to the cops a second time today on my way back from the store this evening. I was heading eastbound on a lightly traveled two lane road with a speed limit of 40. Ahead of me I see a Camcord making a left hand turn from a side street onto eastbound also. Unfortunately, the driver wasn't thinking and pulled out in front of a fast moving westbound Challenger (I'd guess he was doing between 55 and 60.) The Challenger had his headlights on, so visibility wasn't an issue. Nobody was hurt.

The kid driving the Camcord got his license 5 months ago. And he rushing because he was late for work. I think he rolled his stop sign, but I can't be sure of it.

I have a 5 hour drive tomorrow. We're taking my BIL's car, and he's got a dashcam. If the mayhem continues, I may be posting a video tomorrow. :P
    Had a 2013 3er behind me in traffic today, driver distracted, holding a phone to her ear and rummaging through a bag on the passenger seat, which made her dawdle a little at lights. Not using hands-free in a car with bluetooth should be at least 10x the fine.

And I saw something which I think won't end well. There's a guy in my building who has a smaller sportbike, I think a Honda F4 series, not a super fast model, but it makes noise and is flashy. Today I saw him setting off with a passenger. He is kind of small, and passenger (girl I assume) was even smaller, and they were both sitting kind of awkwardly and didn't look very comfortable. I have a bad feeling about that.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    I may have failed to mention the brake check.

Wow, felony false report to Police.

Big risk to take if anyone had a video camera of the situation. Of course, you could commit perjury and state you "can't remember" the brake lights.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    No, I didn't lie.
    I just failed to add that information. And the cop didn't ask. :confuse:

The cop seemed really interested about how close the BMW was following, how many times he crossed over the yellow line at the edge of the road, and how many times he honked. I wonder if there was a "road rage" added to the "failure to stop"?
    I'd hope hearsay wouldn't be able to lead to such charges. Moot though, as eventually dashcams will record everything. I am waiting for them to be standard equipment, or at least an option from the factory.

This morning, a woman with a phone to her ear in a Prius breezed through a green signaled crosswalk, with me and 2 other people in it. I reached out and slapped her car, would have hit harder but she was moving. No enforcement in the area, but I did see a hardworking revenue assurance officer speedtrapping at the top of a hill. End of month, quota time...oh yeah, no such thing as quotas. It's all about safety, Think of the children!
    edited August 2013
    Waiting in the left lane for a very VERY long left turn signal arrow. It's hot out. Construction gang banging away laying asphalt outside my window. Big 4X4 PlanetPounder SUV in front of me.

Arrow goes green, SUV creeps out....we hear sirens in the distance. SUV driver stops in middle of intersection, me stuck behind them.

I look around for emergency vehicles....nada...good view both ways...I tap the horn as the sirens obviously fade behind us (the old doppler effect) .

SUV sits there.

Light turns red again, they make their left turn, I'm stuck.

Nice.

:mad:
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Driver dopes with cellphones. A common occurrence seen a number of times on any commute, trip. This morning saw a woman in a minivan with cell phone to the ear coming to a stop at a 4-way stop sign. She was "multi-tasking" successfully at that point in time.

Big change coming in Illinois. The governor signed a law taking effect next Jan banning hand-held cell phones by drivers. Hands-free cell phones will be allowed. The Governor and legislators still don't get it. Phone device is not the problem. It is the concentration and distraction caused by the phone conversation.
    I agree with you, but there are some that believe that you are better able to react with both hands on the wheel when something does happen, than you are with one hand. It could be true in a small percentage of cases, but the big picture is the distraction and lack of concentration on driving. The small picture matters, but the big picture matters more.

Two hands don't help you brake or slow down unless you have a hand brake.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Would agree that two hands on the wheel should be required at all times, except for those die-hards still using a manual transmission. Those using a cellphone in left hand (in auto trans cars) could kind of control their vehicle in an emergency if right handed and right hand at 12- o-clock.
    My state has had primary phone laws for a couple years. Enforcement is lax at best. I wonder if it will be the same in IL.

I see more people distracted by animated conversations with passengers than distracted by yelling at their integrated bluetooth setup - not to mention eaters, drinkers, etc.
    My guess is that most of the enforcement is at the scene of the accident.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    In california, everyone does the smart thing, merge at the last second, at the merge point. In New england, everyone merges way ahead of the merge point - as long as it within sight. ditto with the left turn.

I think the reason people prefer to stack in one lane is pretty obvious - there's always some misguided aggressive enforcer twit trying to block people from merging at the end. in normal traffic these people cruise in left or middle lane way below the prevailing speed, we call them LLCs or MLCs.

It may well be that california drivers are better at doing the 'zipper' merge , alternating one car per lane, nice and smooth. on east coast it may be more random - some cars let 2 or 3 cars from other lane go, others let 1 go, others let 0 from other lane merge, so merging is not steady&smooth.
  • motorjunkie80motorjunkie80 Member Posts: 4
    I think it's interesting to see that people that driver a porsche are voted the #2 most rude people. This infographic is kind of funny.
    edited August 2013
    Audi drivers highly polite? Britain must be in a different dimension.
    "Mountain air must be good for driving, as Allstate America's Best Drivers Report named Fort Collins, Colorado as "America's Safest Driving City," the third time in report history that this city has held the top spot.

Washington, D.C. ranks at the bottom of Allstate's list for the second year in a row.

Boise, Idaho, holds the number two spot, while Sioux Falls, South Dakota.; Brownsville, Texas and Madison, Wisconsin round out the top five."

Fort Collins, Colorado Named America's Safest Driving City

Hm, I've lived in two of the current top five cities and Ft. Collins has been on our maybe list for a while as a place to retire.
    Not a bad place Ft. Collins. College town, lots of brew pubs, progressive/liberal city council, good outdoorsy stuff and too far away from rapacious Denver to be eaten by it (some 60 miles I think).
    We're going to try to cruise through there on our way home next week. Going to be hard to beat the NM drivers though - don't remember them being this laid back, although we haven't spent much time in SF or ABQ.
    BAH---It's easy to be a "good driver" when you have all that room. :)
    If a car lets more than one car by on a zipper merge, the people behind them have a duty to honk at them until their ears bleed. OK, maybe not the ears bleed part, but they have a duty to let them know they have erred.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    "let them know they have erred. " Really. According to whom?

The driver allowing more than one car to merge in front of him determines how many may do so as he is in the position of command. You then will patiently wait for his decision to allow you to merge.
    I'll just go around, or call him in as a suspected drunk. Hope you weren't planning on getting home soon! ;)
    I'll just go around, or call him in as a suspected drunk.

Just curious, how many calls have you made on "suspected drunks"?