Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• Options
    okg0okg0 Member Posts: 7
    Carnaught- I'm in the market for a new Toureg, and a deaker who has 13 of these on sale at invoice is of interest to me.
  • Options
    richtagsrichtags Member Posts: 2
    The carpet only gets wet on the driver side near the door sil. I'll be taking the car in tomorrow so we'll see what the remedy is.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Phoenix area. http://www.uagwest.com
  • Options
    rme78rme78 Member Posts: 3
    Starting to look at the touareg and I have 2 questions...

1. Is the V6 really as sluggish as it has been reviewed to be?

2. For those who own both the V6 and V8 how do they rate their gas mileage? I've read reviews on how horrible this suv is but I believe most other suv's are close to the same mileage but it seems to be something that they can find wrong with this vehicle.

Any CONSTRUCTIVE responses appreciated
  • Options
    sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    You'll need to be constructive with the VW Toenail. Ever heard of MacGyver? Are you good with duct tape and an Ohm meter?
  • Options
    major7major7 Member Posts: 31
    I have seen some Touareg's on VW lots with the inside of the windshield showing condensation on it, sometimes a side window would look that way as well. The outside wasn't wet however. The majority haven't looked this way but has anyone experienced this? One dealer a few months ago said he could tell me what to do with the climate control system to avoid that. I never went to that dealer as it was quite some distance away. So, I never got the answer to this problem. If this has happened to anyone please let me know what the remedy is. Thx.
  • Options
    hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Hi All-

I am currently comparison shopping for my next vehicle, it will be either a Touareg or a Volvo XC90. I have stopped in one VW dealer in St Peters (neighbor city to St Louis) and was less than impressed with the salesman and the dealership in general.

I am hoping that someone out there can point me to a decent dealership in the St Louis area? A bit of a drive is not a problem for me either, if you know of one in Missouri but not close to St Louis.

Thanks!
  • Options
    wanttourwanttour Member Posts: 1
    ok everyone..I have read the posts here for weeks on end...finally took the plunge and headed to a couple of vw dealers to settle on a price. test driven both the 6 and the 8-really loved the 8 and started the deal rolling. wanting to lease the 8-best offer that I have received is 577.00 per month lease. 04 blue silver-v8 with conv package and bi xen lights. Trading in a 02 nissan maxima-giving me 800 under what the loan payoff is. i realize that everyone's payment is decided upon their credit beacon...but I need some input with the monthly amount. I'm sure after I go back in the morning to sit with the finace person the payment may reach the high 5s (taxes and what not)

really loved the suv-no problem with the payment-I'm just tired of feeling like i get a raw deal on my cars. I know I could get a better deal on the max if I privately sold...but not enough time due to the increase of 2000 next week.

any thoughts? comments? ideas?

thanks!
  • Options
    kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    There won't be a price increase on anything he currently has on his lot, or that comes into the port before Jan 4th, If he says diferent, ask to see the original invoice; if he won't let you see it - take a walk!
    Cheers
    Pat
  • Options
    brundogbrundog Member Posts: 13
    Sorry wanttour, but you need to provide more specifics.

Your lease payment can be anything you want it to, from $1 to $1000 per month. It depends on other factors, such as how much $$ are you paying at inception (including cap cost reduction), how many months, how many miles per year (determines residual value), what is the money factor (APR), what is the exact MSRP, are you incuding sales tax, etc. In fact, your FICO score plays only a small role in the payment amount, as most of the lease cost is depreciation costs (these days).

Keep in mind there is only ONE variable when buying a car - whether you are financing it or leasing it - and that is the dealer margin. Don't let the dealer play number games with you - the lease contract will say it all ultimately. Anyway, you give me the above, and I will tell you what kind of deal that is.

-BD
  • Options
    zbwmyzbwmy Member Posts: 2
    On 12/29/03 bought off road grey,V8,winter pkd, bi-xen light,prem I sound,added mud guards, monster mats, cargo liner. MSRP $ 43915 Invoice $40065. paid $41000. This comes out to around $550 over invoice.
    Insurance went up $350 from 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
  • Options
    zbwmyzbwmy Member Posts: 2
    Anyone having problems with interior lights not going off? Even with the headliner switch set to off, I cannot extinguish the footwell lights while driving. I have used the MFI to select off for this feature.
  • Options
    hdmindhdmind Member Posts: 1
    I received my V8 Touareg (Prem Plus, Winter Pkg) a couple of weeks ago... it came just in time to give me a tax break. :) A few impressions...

It snowed nearly six feet during the first week. I was tired of blowing snow, but the snow driving capability is excellent. Easily as good as my 96 Jeep G. Cherokee with the 18" stock performance tires. With some real tires it will be tough to beat.

The milage isn't good, but was better than I expected with all of the negative remarks on the boards. I was getting about 18 mpg on the long drive back home and appear to be getting about 15 mpg since. The Touareg seems to encourage... agressive... driving. I expect that my milage will drop when the roads are dry.

Although it isn't DVD based, the Nav system works very well and the integration with the stereo and heads up lcd is very nice. It also has inputs for my iPod with an adapter. This is a big plus for me.

The key fob has poor range... probably my only real complaint. I like how it senses the key on you and unlocks the doors, but I wish it worked for the hatch. Assigning the keys to drivers settings is a bit complicated.

Overall fit and finish is excellent... time will tell, but it feels like very high quality. I am extremely happy with the vehicle.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    certainly improve as the engine breaks in...the weight of the right foot notwithstanding...
  • Options
    sedwards41255sedwards41255 Member Posts: 17
    Just purchase a T-reg. Test drove the Toyota Highlander, Nissan Murago, Accura MDX and the T-reg all in the same day. Drove some other SUVS prior to this. The Touareg had it hands down. I hope I haven't made a mistake after hearing about the electrical problems. I love this vehicle!!! May trade it in when the 2005s come out!!!.

I bought the silver with black leather, Nav, Xenon headlights, air suspension and full electrical doors, V6, etc.
    The V6 had more than enough power for me.......but then I don't need it to drive in mountains..or to pull anything...etc.
    Just one thing I have noticed..........when I get up around 50 mph....I hear a wind whistle....anyone else heard this..???
  • Options
    For those that are interested, I paid a final price of $42,247.50 which included a 3% sales tax. Calculated that I got it for less than invoice after deducting amount for sales tax. Salesman gave me a copy of the original invoice. T-Reg came pretty well loaded with Nav, Xenon lights, upgraded leather and air suspension. The wind whistle I am hearing seems to be coming from the windshield on the passenger side. ?????? Still....I love this vehicle.
  • Options
    rower2rower2 Member Posts: 22
    I have the wind whistle also and when I had it in being serviced, I brought it to the dealers attention but they said they did not hear anything abnormal in it. Maybe it's supposed to be that loud over 50. For those with the Tyre Pressure Monitor problems, my fix was to take it to another dealer to have it looked at. There is a problem with the placement of an antenna and my other dealer did not know that fix to the problem. I'm hoping this will be the fix and the light does not come back on again.
  • Options
    Thanks rower2. A couple of questions. How long have you had yours? I really don't think I can live with this wind whistle...since I drive long distances. Of course, I suppose I could turn the radio on!! Does it not bother you? I don't see how a dealer can say they don't hear anything unusual.
  • Options
    Radio stations are good for the ones the system auto selects. Unfortunately my favorite is not in the list. After numerous attempts and with the manual in front of me....finally decided the system did not hold the radio station change and that there was no way I could make it do so.
    Have talked to the dealer and will be taking it in for this problem as well as the wind whistle.
    Does anyone have a trick they have learned to get the Nav Radio to keep the programmed stations?????
  • Options
    I've had my Toureg for a couple of months now and I still love it. I don't have any of the Nav problems because I just got the basic V6 package. The other dealer I went to also addressed my wind problem. Mine was more of a whistling/drumming noise and they told me to move both of my roof racks to the back and that took care of the noise problem. When the roof racks have nothing on them, they make a lot of noise. When both are in the back, they act as a spoiler. I hope that helps.
  • Options
    nwrollernwroller Member Posts: 24
    You can adjust the amount of light in the foot wells from the MFI. You can turn it off, or make it as bright or as dim as you like.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, my roof racks are already "at the back"...so I quess this is not my problem. I'll check to make sure they are secure. I should have gone with my first instincts.....I did not want the NAV but it came on the car I wanted. Typically when things are to computerized or automatic....there are more areas for problems. All in all....though...I love the vehicle itself.
  • Options
    woodberywoodbery Member Posts: 10
    Hi

I bought a V6 T-reg on 12/29 with the $1000 factory install trailer hitch, and so far I am happy overall (seems to have enough power, ride is adequate) with it but a few questions.

1. Is there any way to disable the seatbelt warning bell?

2. My salesman told me the mag-light doesn't come with the V6 was he correct?

3. The CD player 'ate' the first CD that I put in it, the dealer is supposedly ordering a replacement, has this happened to anyone else?

4. The two electrical sockets on the center console have no cover, is this the way they all come?

Thanks

H
  • Options
    bkosaianhbkosaianh Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for all the great info. I am seriously considering a Tourag purchase, however I have a few questions.

1. Has anyone ever seen a aftermarket grill without the VW Badge.
    2. Anyone replaced the Badge on the tailgate?
    3. I have not seen one with a DVD player, are they available?
    4. The posts about water in the cabin are of concern, has this problem been eliminated?

Thanks
    BK
  • Options
    I have the V6 and my light came in the mail in about 3 weeks and I do have covers for the sockets on the center console.
  • Options
    spockcatspockcat Member Posts: 100
    Radio buttons; no trick. Follow the manual instructions. If it doesn't work, then your radio is defective and you need a new one. Mine works just fine.

Whistle; I occasionally have a whistle. Not sure where it comes from. I don't have the racks on the car. Maybe a cross wind hitting something just right. Eliminate the possibilities by removing the racks, folding the mirrors, making sure doors and windows are closed tight.

Seatbelt chime; YES you can disable it. I can't tell you how to here. Email for directions.

Flashlight; Your dealer is not correct. They all come with them. VW is actually mailing these to new owners. I got mine from my dealer though as I wrote it down on the WE OWE slip.

Covered Center Console; The V8 and V6 with premium package have a sliding cover over this area. Stop by your dealer to see it or I have some pics here:
    http://www.tm-techmark.com/tri.htm
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    What in the wide wide world of sports would make someone want to disable the seat-belt chime? Is it really THAT annoying? And, on my VW/Audi products, if you fasten the belt, you NEVER ever have to hear the chime?

And, if it is something that should not be posted here, isn't that a CLUE that this is a pretty serious thing to be contemplating disabling.

I am no fan of big brother -- until or unless it [what ever IT may be] (theoretically) might cost me money.

?

I suspect if we all disabled our chimes and it became known, that the net effect over time would be insurance premium rate increases.

I can only imagine that disabling the chime is for the express purpose of -- what exactly? Not wearing a seat belt? Unless the Touareg chimes even if you wear your belt before starting the engine, I repeat -- isn't this chime, overall, a good thing?
  • Options
    gtlloydgtlloyd Member Posts: 10
    Had my Roof Rack crossbars in the "Spoiler" position in the back and still had a wind whistle. Removed the crossbars and the whistle disappeared.
  • Options
    This info on how to modify the chime is posted elsewhere. It is the site's name that cannot be posted here.

As for the belt chime, many owners find it particularly annoying. VW seems to have found just the right combination on this one. Do you own a Touareg? If not, drive one for a while and you will see just how annoying it can be. You can't sit in the car without the thing going off (a bit of an exaggeration).
  • Options
    Posted elsewhere by a new owner is the fact that VW has also added another chime to tell you that the passenger side airbag is going to be disabled every time the passenger exits the car while it is running, or when you start the car with the passenger seat empty.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    the seat belt chime reminder is standard on ALL 2004 carlines...Golf to Phaeton...DOT????
  • Options
    Seatbelt chimes have been around since the stone age. It is just that VW's seems to be so much more intrusive. Is this some new DOT mandate?
  • Options
    snowboardsnowboard Member Posts: 1
    own 04 v-8 with 19" tires.would not rate performance in snow as "suv" category. have owned a dozen and currently have audi allroad that runs circles around the touareg. if its the tires then why offer them ? my tire dealer says cant find19" with off road tread design any suggestions? have contacted dealer with no response to date. others have to have same experience need back-up. also agree about the seatbelt bell. there must be a way to re-program so there is a one to three minute delay before the chimes begin
  • Options
    rc7762rc7762 Member Posts: 35
    I could not agree with you more! The seat belt chime in my 97 Jetta was indeed the most annoying if not the most ridiculous sounding device VW could use. I cannot tell you the number of times people would comment on how annoying the chime in my car was when I started the engine, I don't know if that model/year had a way to disable the chime (I did not own the car for very long due to all of the problems I had with it). I personally do not need a seat belt chime to remind me to buckle up!
  • Options
    marcpotashmarcpotash Member Posts: 6
    My Touareg whistled at 55mph and higher. Removing the roof racks fixed the problem.
  • Options
    My neighbor got a Murano at the same time I got my Touareg. We always compare our vehicles and I seemed to have more of the problems with the Tyre pressure light and such. His Murano totally died on the Brooklyn Bridge of all places. The check engine light came on just seconds before it went. Turned out to be the alternator. So I'll take my wind whistles, warning lights and annoying chimes any day rather than wait for a tow truck for 3 hours on Christmas Eve at 12am on the Brooklyn Bridge. Don't know if he got a lemon or not. I didn't see anything on the Murano site about that problem.
  • Options
    tregownertregowner Member Posts: 26
    I bought a V-6 in late August. The mini-lite was mailed to me by VWoA a few weeks after purchase. The electrical sockets have a dummy plug with 12v. on it. As for wind noise, like others, I found it is determined by the position of the roof racks. Maybe I'm losing my hearing, but it doesn't seem to bother me. Could be that all of the noise that my kids make far exceeds the wind noise!

After driving it for 4+ months, I have to say that I love this car. No problems of any type have appeared. I have about 4500 miles on it. I find that I use the tiptronic quite a bit, as I live in a hilly area, and the automatic can be somewhat "busy" if left alone. The car is a lot of fun to drive, and I find that I go faster than I should on the highways...it seems to enjoy 80 MPH. The only rattle I have is the one in the compartment under the passenger seat, which is caused by stuff rolling around in there. The seat belt chime isn't an issue with me, so no comments on that one. I've driven the car in lots of different conditions, and it performs well in all environments. All in all, I'm a happy camper!
  • Options
    knockoffknockoff Member Posts: 72
    Some of us use our cars for more than just to drive around. When I am waiting for someone, I sometimes choose to sit in the car & listen to the stereo. In the cold & with all the electronics this car has, the engine has to be started & run from time-to-time. I would like to not have to buckle my seat belt and not have the headlights shining when I do this. Please don't assume, as VW has, that one always needs the seat belt when in the car & it is started.
  • Options
    knockoff

I agree, I get in the car make sure I have everything I need for work, adjust the radio, open the garage door I don't like being chimed while I am doing this. It's annoying.

Other than that I like the car alot.
  • Options
    I dropped my T-reg off at the dealership yesterday for Tire Pressure warning light going off, brake squeak, Nav Radio not holding programmed station and the Wind Whistle. They called to tell me to pick it up. I asked to speak with a service tech first. Bottom line...they told me "everything" was working fine and that the whistle was the "nature of the vehicle" and the radio was fine. Treated me like I did not know what I was talking about at first. I told them to "try again"..that that was unacceptable..and that I have an information systems background and can program the radio correctly. Second time they called back and acknowledge the wind whistle was something Volkswagon was now aware of.....and that a tech was driving my car closer to where I live to see if he can duplicate the radio thing...

Thanks for the info on the wind whistle. I will call the dealership tomorrow and suggest that they take the roof rack off and see if that helps.
    I have a feeling they will have to replace the radio. They gave me a Jetta to drive home and THAT radio gets my favorite station just fine.

The bell going off without your seat belt on IS annoying....I , too, often sit in my car...waiting for children to get out of practices, and if I am early for work appointments.Am thinking about buckling it behind me......on these occasions...so I can move more freely......Besides....I think one set of bells going off to warn you....is enough. What happened to "freedom of choice". I wear my seat belt...but sometimes want to take it off to stretch or change positions.....
    I'll let the board know if the dealer comes up with any other solution for the wind whistle....other than the roof racks coming off.
  • Options
    How can you tell what your vin number is. I have asked the dealer three times if the vin number has the production number embedded in it...and they say "they don't know" or "no" or "each digit represents some feature on the vehicle and that it has nothing to do with the production number" (have asked several different people at the dealership).
    The production date on mine is September 03 and the last digits of the Vin number are 23978.
    Does this mean it was the 23, 978th one manufactured?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Go to this site to see what the encoding means. The last six digts represent the serial number of the vehicle.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Looks like this is a faulty link.
  • Options
    jd1318jd1318 Member Posts: 7
    I got my new Treg on Sat., It ordered it, it was already built but had to wait for shipping overseas which took about five weeks. Build #41000+, silver blue, V8, xenon, and sound system 1.

Remote distance is good, it works from about 50', radio signals good on am+fm, no rear hatch problem, and no wind noise at pretty good highway speeds, I took my racks off at the dealer.

I've put 300 miles on it so far and my only dislikes are the fact you can't turn off the headlights unless the car is turned off and the annoying sounds it makes for seatbelt, pass. airbag status, and when you open the door with car running.

First fill up recorded 14.25 mpg w/ 1/3 miles highway driving. I'm sure this will go up slightly after break-in and as I get more familiar with how my Treg drives. I was only hoping to get about 15mpg anyway because of the type of driving i do.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I saw a T-reg commercial last night. They had one bashing through a snowbank that a jetta got stuck seconds earlier. I wonder what tires they used on truck in the commercial?
  • Options
    claydj2claydj2 Member Posts: 10
    Any comments on the 6 cyl being under powered? Has anyone driven both?
  • Options
    bulsarabulsara Member Posts: 21
    Guys:

I have a V-6 with PPT, sensors and C/R diff locks and after the first few problems, which my dealer Park Cities VW in Dallas resolved quickly, it has settled in beautifully!

About the sitting and waiting, with annoying seat belt chimes. I found out, that if you pull out the key, and hit the "Rest" button, on the air system, you can sit in the vehicle comfortably for up to 15-30 mins, depending on how cold it is outside. Try it. Power sockets are always hot/on and so one can make calls or whatever!

About the whistling roof-racks, as someone on the forum suggested, try moving them all the way to the back, make sure front/back assigned, are in their respective postions, and ensure they are pressed hard together. Get the dealer to do this, if you are unable to...it is tricky. Also make sure, the flaps covers for keyholes are completely snapped in, as I suspect these could be the secret whistlers. If all else fails, remove the racks till you really need 'em...it will improve your mileage and looks good too.

Lastly, after I hit the 1400 mile mark, my Egg drives ever more responsively, and is now giving me 15.1 per gallon from and earlier 14.7/8. I use 93 from Sams/Costco. It really moves well and as a previous Nissan Pathfinder 240HP owner I feel the V-6 220HP pulls adequately well. Rarely, when I need the extra ooomph, I throw her into Sport and she hits the 75 freeway pretty darn good, at 60-80.

"Got to agree it's getting better...It's getting better all the time"

Cy
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I have 20" tires on my FX and if the 19's on the t-reg are similar they are more perfomance oriented tires (probably v-rated) any performance tire will suck in the snow and most lowergrade performance tires hydroplane excessively in the rain. If I were you and you do a lot of snow driving Buy a set of 17's with snow tires and run those in the snow months. Most sport package cars or optional larger wheel sizes will have better dry handling but worse snow/ice handling. There has been much talk about this on the FX, X5 XC90 forums with people in snow and larger wheels or sport packages.
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    that the sport tires don't do much in the snow.
    I got 18" with Mus + Snow tires on my toureg clone, and it does well in rain .....will try it in snow this month.
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    the Porsches (new) all need to have the $80 battery maintainer/trickle charger if you are not going to drive it much.