Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz SL and SLK (all models)

Comments

• dubaytomdubaytom Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to order out an '04 SL 55 and am concerned about the charcoal leather being too hot in summer. Anyone pro's or con's charcoal versus the ash or berry color?
  • mpyles1mpyles1 Member Posts: 91
    I have the light ash interior color on an SL500, because my dealer (who had both colors in stock) admitted that the charcoal color can get hot to the touch in direct sun.

The downside of ash is that it does show the inevitable scuff marks you'll pick up on the door jambs, lower door panels, and protruding seat bottoms.

Berry would probably pick up more heat than the ash (which does not get hot at all) without giving you any appreciable improvement in hiding scuffing.
    I spent most of the spring and summer trying to buy a new SL55. Since almost all the production run had been presold, about all I could find were "low mileage" units that we're being offered for resale at $20-30K above sticker. Even had I been willing to pay the mark-up, I really wanted to break the car in myself.

Finally, I gave up and bought an SL500 two months ago, and it has turned out to be a great car. The other day, a dealer called me to say he had a new SL55 "on the water" that I could have for sticker . . . and he would give me sticker price less $1K in trade for my SL500. Not a bad deal.

About 90% of my driving is in urban Chicago (a great city but utterly devoid of interesting driving venues). The SL500 feels quicker than I thought it would, and I'm now wondering whether the SL55 is worth the extra cost. The SL500 easily chirps the 385-series tires before the traction control kicks in. My guess is the traction control on the SL55 would do the same at about the same acceleration rate.

So . . . would I really get much of a usable acceleration bang out of the SL55's much heftier torque? Or would it just get siphoned off by the traction control system on those days I'm not willing to fry tires? (I'm sure the SL55 would give me appreciably more punch from higher speeds, but the only "safe" way to have fun with an accelerator pedal in Chicago traffic is acclerating from a stop up to moderate speeds.)
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I haven't driven the SL500 and SL55 back to back, but I have for the E500 and new E55. There is no comparison. I was not a fan of the old E55, finding it ponderous and somewhat unrefined compared to my M5 6-speed. The new E55 is a couple of rungs up the ladder and while I sill prefer BMW steering and handling to Mercedes, the difference is minor.

If you really never get a chance to "drive" either car given a mostly urban commute, then the SL500 is probably more than satisfactory. But my guess is that the SL55 is a significantly superior car in every way - handling, steering, etc. - not just in raw acceleration.

The deal you have been offered also sounds very good. In my area, SL55's are still selling for a premium and new SL500's are being discounted. There is no way you would be able to sell a 2 month old one here for anywhere near the trade in price you've been offered.
  • dhearddheard Member Posts: 2
    How do I find a ground fault. I have a constant drain from the battery; I pulled all the fuses shown in the owners guide (i in trunk, 2 under hood) and I still had the current drain. Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Here's a way:

Buy a cheap test light.

Remove the positive battery cable from the post (do you remember all your radio codes?) and connect the test light in series with (as an extension of) the positive cable so that the test light itself completes the connection to the positive battery post by "extending" the disconnected positive cable.

If the test light lights, you have a serious drain. If it doesn't light, you either have no drain or a very minimal one that might be due to an LED readout or an alarm system.

If the test light is lit AND NOTHING IS OPEN OR ON IN THE CAR, then disconnect the fuses one by one until the light goes out. When it goes out you know the circuit the short circuit is in at least.

You will need, if not a wiring diagram, at least a chart showing what each fuse controls.

I'm not sure what you meant by: "i in trunk, 2 under hood" when talking about fuses. Do you mean fuse boxes, because there are certainly more than 3 fuses in your car.

so first determine if you really have a drain or just a bum battery. Then isolate the circuit and depending on what you find we can go from there.
  • benzlvrbenzlvr Member Posts: 1
    I just saw a new SL55 black/black in chicago at a new dealership, and they were asking sticker.
    Its on thew ground and has I think 20 miles on it. It is sweet looking and I wish I could get my hands on it!! If you want to know where Email me and I'll hook you up with the sales guy I use over there!
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    A "new" dealership, where bout?

M
  • dhearddheard Member Posts: 2
  • swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    underhood, in the trunk, in the passenger compartment, etc. you open a door to pull fuses, and lights go on, probably should pop out those bulbs. in fact, because of security computers on the pin switches which may actually control those lights, pull the appropriate fuse for those lights that come on before working through any others.
  • gvcirineogvcirineo Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying this car and the asking price is $26,000. The car has 50,000 mile on it. Could any one tell me if I should buy this car or not. I am not familiar with this model, its reliability and drivability. Is this car relialable? Please help. Would appreciate your comments, especially from past or present owners.
    Thanks.

Fred
  • shoesshoes Member Posts: 131
    I have owned both of these cars. I picked up a very early SL500 in Germany in April, 2002 then got an SL55 in April of 2003.

I feel that the SL is having early teething pains. I had problems with both relating to a clicking sound coming from the area of the fuel pump behind the seats as well as brake related problems on both (loud squealing and modulation difficulty). I currently drive a 2003 E55 which suffers from none of these issues.

Initial quality problems aside, there is no comparison between the AMG product and the standard offering from Mercedes. If you are an enthusiast, the AMG product will please you in ways the standard offering cannot. The interior leathers are superior, acceleration is incredible, responsiveness improved, ride and handling improved, steering and braking much sharper. I found the SL500 to be boring to drive and the SL55 is anything but. The problem with both of these cars is too much weight, but the SL55 feels like you are driving on a cushion of air, like a puck in an air hockey game.

The E55 I drive now is the best car I have ever owned and I have owned 90 of them.
    I am just a Mercedes nut with more money than sense. I might get another SL55 sometime but I will wait until 05 to see if they debug them some more. Besides, I have a CLK66 Cab I expect shortly.
    A CLK66 Cab??? Or do you mean a CLK55 Cab?

M
    What, you don't know about the CLK66?

Sorry, I typed too fast without my glasses, I do mean the CLK55 Cab.
  • txferret1txferret1 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone recommend a source for a good 320SL repair manual? I'm mainly interested in educating myself on the mechanics of the car, as well as some basic maintenance and repair.
    Dealer has the best one.
    Has anyone gained any experience yet with the new 7-speed transmission in the 2004 SL500? Heard any news about when, if ever, they plan to beef it up for the SL55? Know whether the rumors are true that the SL will receive a styling change in 2005 to pick up styling cues from the SLR?

I was on the fence about whether to quickly trade my 2003 SL500 for an SL55 now that they are more commonly available. But it looks as if the model is evolving so quickly that I might want to wait one more year.

For what it's worth regarding the earlier comments about initial quality problems . . . I've had a string of recent cars (1998 Corvette, 2000 Jaguar S-Type, 2002 Audi A6 4.2, and 2002 Audi S6) that were plagued with electronic problems. (And the Corvette was plagued with other problems too numerous to mention.) But so far the SL500 is the most problem-free car I've owned. Given the immense amount of technology and number of gizmos on the car, I find that quite surprising.
    Gee, I had two SL's, the SL500 and the SL55 and neither were close to problem free. The brakes made all kinds of noise and were always hard to modulate. There is a known problem from the fuel pump which makes clicking noises behind the drivers seat, for which there is no cure. Mercedes has already changes suppliers for the Command system.

I agree about waiting until 2005, because Mercedes has some work to do on these models.
    Actually, my brakes squeal loudly in some conditions, but I wasn't viewing that as a quality defect. I had the same problem on an Acura RL a few years back. After talking to a lot of different people and researching the internet, I found that brake squeal is a design trade-off with disc material. Harder materials that last longer tend to squeal more. Acura finally fixed their endemic problem with a disc material changeover that reduced noise and marginally reduced pad life. Given the weight of this car, MB might have opted for hardier materials and more noise.

I have read quite a bit in car mags about the difficulty of modulating the SL brakes, particularly from low speeds. Frankly, if it's there, it's so minor that I adapted to it almost without realizing it. (In fact, many of the test drivers said they did the same.) This could be defined as a design quality problem, I guess.

I have heard an occasional noise from the rear quarters of the cabin. However, since I keep a few CD cases in the storage bin with the CD changer, I assumed it was just them flipping back and forth as I braked and accelerated. Could that be the fuel pump clicking instead? Is the clicking constant or intermittent? If intermittent, under what conditions? The fuel pump really does sound like a quality problem. For almost $100K, it's inexcusable.

Any idea what the problem was with the Command system, other than its user-unfriendliness? (I hear the 2004 has already scrapped the CD-based system in favor of a DVD.)
    Acutally, the Acura RL I mentioned had a squeal just as loud. I could not put the windows down in the car inside a city, because the squeal echoed so badly off nearby buildings that it almost hurt my ears. Softer disc material solved the problem. I will admit, though, that it's a bit embarrassing to roll up to a stop light and have your brakes squeal so loudly that pigeons fall off garbage cans.

When I was trying to decide between the SL500 and SL55, I saw two SL55's in my dealer's shop due to supercharger problems. Gaskets had blown on one, and the other had caught fire. The one that caught fire was being shipped back to Germany for a tear-down to see what had caused the problem. This helped me decide to go with an SL500 for now.
    Gee, I hadn't heard about the supercharger problem, although my dealer told me they have experienced problems with those engines making funny sounds after 6,000 miles or so. I have only 3,000 miles on my E-55 so I haven't experienced them yet.

My problem with the SL500 was that it felt slow, you really had to mash the accelerator to make it move. My problem with the SL55 was the opposite, you couldn't be gentle enough with the accelerator. Might be nice if AMG offered a normally aspirated engine with around 400 hp in this car. I have a CLK55 now and it seems like a good balance.
    Great technical specs for the new SLK. But, boy . . . I hope the SL sticks with its current nosepiece. The SLR may be a phenomenal car, but its styling and proportions are a few steps down from the heights reached by the SL. Yet the rumors that SLR styling cues (especially the nose) will trickle down to the "lesser" cars seem to be true if the above AMG link is any indication. Aaaaargh!
    Can someone help me choose between these two cars?
    Which would you buy and why?

As I see it, the SL55 is the more aggressive of the two and the SL600 is more plush. Since the factory rates the 0-60 times as identical, it makes me wonder how the driving experience will really differ.

The only obvious difference between the two is the residuals are much lower on the SL600.
    SL600 is really kind of over the top, and will feel much heavier, larger and less responsive. Why aren't you shopping the SL55 against the SL500?
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I'd probably choose the SL600, cost being a non-issue, for the higher grade interior. I realize the SL55 would provide a more visceral driving experience, but many other less cloistered two-seaters could provide an even more visceral driving experience (compared to the SL55) for a fraction of the cost.

I guess what I'm saying is that the SL600 takes what I think of the SL mindset to its logical conclusion, whereas the SL55 takes it somewhere else altogether. I think of the SL600 as the evolution of the SL500, and the SL55 as a sort of hot-rodded perversion of the SL500 into a edgier territory that IMO would be better suited by, oh, a SLK. (Or better yet, a 911 TT or the like.)
    SL600 is a very nose heavy car and feels like it. The SL500 is a lot more enjoyable to drive I think. I'd suggest that the SL600 is a retrograde of the SL500 experience, not an enhancement of it. One of my least favorite Benzes.

Definitely agree with you though that the SL55 probably the most fun of the pack, although I haven't yet driven one. Great performance and desireability.
    I have owned both the 2003 SL500 and the 2003 SL55. In response to Mr. Shiftright's question about why not the SL500- the answer is performance. The SL500 is too pedestrian, almost boring. I also drive a 2003 E55 and once you get used to this level of performance, driving a normally aspirated V-8 doesn't cut it. I read an article in one of the car magazines stating that you owe it to yourself to own a V-12 powered automobile once in your life, so I am intrigued by the SL600.

Also, Mr. Shiftright's point about the nose heaviness of the SL600 is not correct- this may have applied to the last generation SL600, but the new one weighs only 110 pounds more than the SL55 (admittedly neither is a lightweight but with this much power, it only feels heavy in the tightest of turns).

My frustration is that nobody at the Mercedes dealers have any real world experience with these two cars to help me decide whether to get another SL55 or go for the SL600.
    Someone has to be the trail-blazer.

Personally, I think you are looking for someone to tell you to go with the SL600. You're trying awfully hard to rationalize it. I don't have any real world experience with either car but I can tell from your posts which one you want. Just get the V12 already and let us know how you feel about it afterwards :)

As someone who's had seat time in the SL55, YOU could be the one telling us which of the SL55 and SL600 you prefer.
    OK, I accept! I will get the SL600 and give you all my take.

Then I can agonize over whether I should get the new Bentley GT.
    Well I'm not telling him to buy the SL500 but it's hardly a slouch. For a mere extra $50,000 or so an SL600 will give you 1.3 fewer seconds to 0-60 (4.7 instead of the SL500s 6.0). That's a lot of $$ per tenth of a second.

Now you do get more prestige with the SL600, it being the epitome of extravagance, this is true, and a nicer ride I'm sure than an SL55. (but no more speed).

So what's next year going to bring us? An SL700 with a V-14? When does this kind of thing start to get...ahem...excessive?

Twin turbos,12 cylinders and 590 ft lbs. of torque? Well, okay, if you really NEED it---LOL!
    Are you going by the old SL600 or have you driven the new one already? So far the press is saying the new car isn't nearly as nose-heavy feeling as the old car.

Whats next you ask? A 605hp SL65 AMG of course. Debut: Geneva, March 2004.

Shoes,

Are you keeping the E55?

M
    I am keeping my 2003 E55, it is the best Mercedes and the best overall vehicle I have owned (I am up to 92 at this point).

I will tell you something that might shock some. The E55 is so good and spoils you with the addictive power, that it is hard to drive cars with less than 400 horsepower. In December, I picked up the new CLK55 Cabriolet, with the 365 horsepower AMG engine and it feels too slow and boring.

This is why I need the SL600, Mr. Shiftright. And yes, when the SL65 arrives, I will take a look.
    Are you able to use (I mean really use) the E55's power on a day-to-day basis? Liabilities and disclaimers assumed, what are your driving patterns such that the power would make such an impression?

I'm nowhere near 400hp ownership but as I find myself driving faster and faster cars as daily drivers, I also realize that I am drifting farther and farther away from the limits of those cars.

I'm afraid to launch my S2000 at more than 3k rpms for fear of spinning the tires at a light and getting a ticket for "unsafe acceleration" or some such. I wouldn't know what to do with a E55 if I didn't have my own dragstrip and road course.
    My theory about these ultra high powered AMG cars is that all this power is the ultimate luxury. The E55 has so much power available at virtually anywhere in the rev range in almost any gear, it makes it easy to indulge yourself at a moment's whim. I know this is the opposite of cars like the S2000 and RX8 and you may enjoy hunting for the powerband, but I like knowing there is a mountain of torque always availble. I don't even drive my E55 in the sport mode, I leave in the comfort mode all the time. I remember showing off one time to a passenger, by turning off the traction control and flooring it from a stand still. Lots of wheelspin and tire screeching and excitement. Only later did I realize that I had started in second gear. Scary to think what a first gear lauch might have been like. Call me immature, but I didn't get that Oldsmobile 442 when I was 16, so I am still catching up.
    My basic complaint is that the SL600 is overpriced IMO. I think it's just a big money maker for Mercedes and not worth just a huge premium for an engine and not much other advantage over an SL500 or SL55.

Besides, you are going to nose-bleed when it depreciates.

I can't say historically that the AMG cars have faired much better on resale, but I thin it will do better than an SL600.

Right now a 2002 SL600 can be had for around $80,000, and a 2002 SL500 for about $55,000. Do the math if you dare.

Out the door with some options you are in an easy $150,000 and so it's possible you will lose as much as $30,000 per year over the next two years, or $60,000 total.
    You are right, Mr. Shiftright, this is the most compelling reason not to get the SL600.
    While I understand what you're saying, that kind of power still seems to be a bit of an odd luxury... insofar as it seems like a luxury not easily utilized.

You see, a fantastic sound system could yield hours of enjoyment during a long drive in a luxurious car. Comfortable, cozy seats could do the same. These are luxuries that you can enjoy day in and day out in almost any passenger vehicle that offers them. "Luxury" is typically defined along very accessible lines.

Twin-turbo V12s are a bit of a different story. It's power and it's luxury. No arguments about that. But, it's power that's difficult to fully tap into. Seats will cradle you from point A to point B, but that engine only stimulates during acceleration and there's only so much acceleration one can do on during that same trip. (Unless, of course, you conduct 0-100-0 tests all the way to work and back.) Once in a blue moon you can spin the tires in the first three forward gears, or you can hurtle forward from 60 to 90 in a few seconds without any care as to what gear you're in, but isn't that it? It seems like an awfully inaccessible luxury. Maybe that's what makes it the ultimate drug amongst premier passenger cars these days--its presence and yet its seeming distance. There's something sexy about power so wild that you can only exercise it occasionally.

If you don't mind my asking - you've tried the SL500 and the SL55. You seem to have the werewithal, so why not sample V12 power in the form of, say, an Aston Martin? Specifically, is the SL the best platform with which to sample a V12, especially when many of its characteristics (for example, chassis flex or throttle modulation) are likely to be very similar to either of the SLs you've already driven?
    I find that I toe into the wonderful acceleration capabilities of my E55 often, so while your points are well spoken, they may be more applicable to your driving style than mine. When I get into a "lesser" car, I find that I get myself into trouble trying to squeeze into spots my E55 would get into effortlessly. I am sure my neighbors think I am overly aggressive in my little town.

The reason I have't wandered over to the Aston Martin dealership is that I am devoted to Mercedes especially AMG. I have owned enough cars by now to know that this is the one. I am pondering the new Bentley however- what do you think of that one?
    I am not qualified to discuss the Bentley GT. I drive a 2.2L S2000, remember? :)

If I had to venture a guess, the salient difference with the Bentley would be a matter of perception... or lifestyle... or culture perhaps. You see, the E55 is an understated sedan. Even the SL series, attractive as they are, exude understated elegance. This is the dominant undercurrent of Mercedes styling in my opinion, and the predominant theme of all sub-$100,000 passenger vehicles short of, say, a Hummer H2. I do not believe the E-Class defines the driver so much as the driver defines the E-Class. Even in this rarified air, these are passenger vehicles first and foremost, and you might even describe them as supremely capable appliances.

If I had the werewithal to own a SL55, I would not be anxious about parking it at malls or even driving it through the pick-up lane at Taco Bell.

Now a Bentley seems like a different beast. The GT is a bit more understated than previous Bentleys, but it still is what it is, and you could argue that the perception of the car could be more affecting than the driving experience itself---depending on where you live of course. The GT might have the same driving dynamics and interior opulence as the SL600 but my personal attitude behind the wheel of one would be markedly different. This I can say without hesitation, despite not having behind the wheel of one.

I can't put this difference in words. Does this make sense? All I can say is that I would feel awkward driving the GT to Taco Bell, just as I would feel awkward sitting in the back seat of a Maybach 62 on a trip to the mall.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that successful Bentley ownership may require more than money. It may require a change of mindset. Or, it might force one. I suspect the ownership of a Bentley would be much more.... provocative... than ownership of even the most lofty Benz.

P.S. Given the location in your profile, can you recommend a good, light dessert wine from the region? I bought a couple of cases of Mondavi Botrytis when I was there a couple of years ago, which are nearly exhausted. Last bottle will be opened tomorrow :(
    Once again, you have distilled the essence of the issue quite well. I cannot imagine telling someone that I drive a Bentley, it carries too much baggage which I don't want to resemble. But with VW ownership and the rumor of mass production, the Bentley image is likely to evolve over the next few years. I am just not sure I want to be one of the change agents.

My solution to the problem of the SL55 and E55 being perceived as either arrogant or expensive is this- I take the badges off. My E55 has no markings of any kind so that the neighbor kid with the Mustang won't feel obliged to challenge me on my way to work. Same with the SL55, when I owned it (I couldn't get that "V8 Kompressor" badge off quickly enough). Only people with the rear view of the quad tailpipes will know what passed them, and by that point, it is too late.

Desert wines are not my expertise (I am in the wine business) but you can never go wrong with Chateau Y'Quem.
    Bentley is kind of a [non-permissible content removed] car now, don't you think? Is it British or German?
    I agree that Bentley is becoming something other than it has been and I will bet you that five years from now, it will be a better brand for this.

I wish the Germans would buy all the beautiful car companies like those in England and Italy and improve their engineering without losing their beauty. There are probably more of us thinking about Lamborghini now that Audi owns it and possibility of getting a V10 in an Audi is also exciting.

I definately favor more of this, but I am still struggling to understand the merger of Mercedes and Chrysler.
    Well that should warn you that not all corporate cultures will blend easily. Some cars could benefit from mergers but it would be death for companies like Porsche and Ferrari, which depend so much on heritage for sales strength.

Bentley was lost as a car with a real identity when it was sold to Rolls Royce in the 30s. It's never been an important car after that anyway. So I agree, let anyone build it who can.
  • alpedhuezalpedhuez Member Posts: 4
    Can this car be had for under MSRP?
    How long for delivery?

I notice there are many 2003 Starmark models for sale. Am I better shying way from these - 5 speed, two tone interiors?
    Having owned 2 '03 SL's, I would advise a 2004, maybe even a 2005. There seemed to have a couple of common problems that I am hoping more production time will cure. There seems to be an ample supply of 2004's right now, before the Spring weather gets here.
    Today I test drove the SL 600 and since I have owned the SL 55 I can now give you my comparison.

The SL600 is mature. It feels like a large sedan. It is more polished and feels more luxurious. It does not feel like a sporty car. The acceleration is quite capable, but driving fast and agressively is not its strong suit.

The SL55 on the other hand is a monster. It feels like you could not drive it slowly if you wanted to. Despite the weight, it feels like you are driving on air. It is still too heavy to be a true sports car, but it is very sporting and the engine makes you feel like you can do anything. I always loved driving past a crowd of people then nailing the throttle. The NASCAR type roar always gets attention.

I would recommend the SL600 to anyone over the mental age of 60. The SL55 is not for the faint of heart. It is not a relaxing car to drive, since it always seems like everyone in front of you is driving too slow.

I also tested the 2004 SL 500. The new 7 speed transmission really transforms this car, making it feel more lively. Also, the now standard 18 inch wheels help the handling quite a bit and make the sports package redundant.

Every SL I have ever owned or driven has a clicking sound from behind the driver's seat that eminates (I am told) from the pump on the fuel tank. It cannot be fixed by the dealer. Most times you get used to it.

I am hearing that during the MY 2005, the SL will have an SLR /SLK type redo of the nose.
    God I hope they don't do that to the SL's classic good looks. I can accept that look on the SLR and SLK, but not the SL. SL, CL and CLK should keep the same look, SLK and SLR should keep their look.

So Shoes are you getting the SL600?

M