Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jasonlyjasonly Member Posts: 1
    I definitely got the same problem just today on my 2005 MDX. The radio stopped working for FM and AM while CD and DVD works fine.
    Totally have no idea on what would be the problem here. Have you found the root - cause and got it fixed? I'll appreciate what you share with me on the forum.
    Many thanks!
    Jack
  • glenn26glenn26 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2010
    Bmmandm (or anyone else who might have some suggestions),
    Did you ever find the source of the scraping noise from under the front of the car after passing over a speed bump? Having the same problem with my 2009 MDX with 8500km. Definately not the ABS which is a short term thumping that occurs at about 30km/hr for about 3 seconds when the car hasn't been run for awhile. The scraping seems to occur after you go over a (small) speed bump at slower speed and go back on the accelerator. Nothing hanging under the car, not the wheels hitting the wheel well, and not the mud flaps or anything else hitting the ground. Took the front wheels off and don't see anything unusual. Doesn't happen every time but enough to cause concern. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • mdx4898mdx4898 Member Posts: 1
    I have to exact same problem w/ AM FM radio not working, and XM CD DVD all working. I didn't notice problem until mid January 2010.

Have you been able to fix? If so, what was diagnosis?
  • jyao888jyao888 Member Posts: 32
    I posted wind noise when I had my new 09 MDX Sport back in June (only one month I had). Technician said it is the sound from outside due to car box design.
    It doesn't have any air leak thru window. My wife felt this noise right after we had the car. But the wind noise is getting so loud even when I drive at 45mph. The loud wind noise is continue when I drive at 60mph and above on local thruways or highways. My ears are getting heart after an hour drive.
    Had anyone had this experience? I couldn't believe it is Acura quality. it is worst than my previous Jeep. It must be something wrong. Any one have any thoughts?
    Will complain to dealer at next service. Someone mentioned it caught loud noise when connecting thru blue tooth when receive calls. But I got wind noise no matter what conditions. Please help.
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    Is it wind noise or "whining from engine area"?
    See if you can find a TSB #08-031 issued Aug 09
    Symptoms are very similar to what you mentioned.

I do not have a copy...try googling it
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I had a "wind noise" on my '07 Sport, sounded like the drivers side window was down a crack. Dealer tested it and replaced all the soft parts of the door seal and no more problem.
  • jkim1125jkim1125 Member Posts: 2
    :( I guess I am the Lucky ONE who encounters both Radio and Wind Noise...
    The radio issue seems like software related issue, I will contact my dealer and see what they have to say. It will cost me $$$ since it is out of warranty period, sux...
    I will keep you posted.
  • jkim1125jkim1125 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer says it is mechanical issue and need to bring it in for diagnosis... basically the radio is dead???
    Well, our first warranty related(thank god) problem on our '07 MDX Sport/Ent. with 35k miles. The "Sport" doesn't work!

The "ADS" light was coming on for a while and Acura said it was just a sensor so we put it off but now the sport/comfort button doesn't work, it just stays in comfort mode. We'll be dropping her off at Crest Acura real soon. Anyone else have problems with ADS?
  • jyao888jyao888 Member Posts: 32
    My lound noise actually are the engine sound and high wind sound.
    I could hear my engine sound clearly when I speed up and down. (I mean louder than usual passenger car---it wasn't like that before).
    I am ride like sports car (my is sport +ent). I could even hear the tire sound when ride thru hole or bump. The wind sound is loud right start at 40 mph at local road.
    I checked all sealed rubbers around windows and windshield are ok.
    I can't understand what these sound transmit into interior cabin.

This was happen even worse after I had my blackberry bold w/ hand free link (I was using Motorola before). But, the loud sound still exist if I didn't carry it on car.
    Anyone has this experience?
  • chrisbathvgrchrisbathvgr Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2010
    My 08 MDX Tech does the same thing (screeching sound coming from the rear) but only on certain speed humps. I first noticed the sound in 2008, a year after I purchased the vehicle. I E-mailed my Acura dealer in the spring of 2009 and never got a reply.

A year later, a few weeks ago, after hearing a clunking sound that was coming from the right rear getting worse I looked under the car and noticed the right rear shock was oily and assumed it was losing hydraulic fluid. Not sure if the two incidents are connected.
  • ashd1ashd1 Member Posts: 14
    I did some research and found out that Acura had a bunch of bad radios from its supplier - Acura has a TSB out for it. Its an issue with the radio unit and has to be swapped out. You can try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it. That may cause the am/fm to start working again as it did in my case - note that you'll need to have the radio code handy to program it in after the reset and also the NAV code if your car has one. However this may only be a temporary fix. I see yours is a 2005 model too and you may be out of luck wrt the warranty. Try taking it to your dealer and see if they'll 'goodwill' it in and swap it out for free.
    rgds
    ash
  • 67truy67truy Member Posts: 2
    Noticed this same problem on my 07 MDX with 35K miles on it. Only happens when I go over speed bumps. It always corresponds with a lack of power. I noticed last night when it did it, the VSA light flashed.
  • glenn26glenn26 Member Posts: 2
    The problem is always to repeat the noise for the dealer. My scraping noise only happens once every couple of weeks. It doesn't actually happen when going over the bump, but rathur after you clear the bump, release the brakes, and the instant you go back on the gas. Also mine seems to be coming from the front end rathur than the back end. Took the front wheels off the other day (man, they are heavy) to see if maybe a stone (or something) is caught in the brake pads and gets dropped down against the rotor after hitting the speed bump. Yes that is pretty unlikely but worth the shot. Cars, cars, cars...aren't they fun! I'll keep an eye on the VSA light...thanks for the tip.
  • zubair75zubair75 Member Posts: 1
    have a 2008 acura MDX tech package, just reached 15,000 miles. I wanted to ask around what things need to be done at the 15,000 miles service appointment. I dont want to go to the dealer and just ask them for a 15,000 miles service.
    2007+ MDX has a maint minder sys and it tells you what all you have to do
    Recently I got B16 service sone at ~14K miles appros $170.00

Owners manual tells you exactly what B16 is
  • krypton4krypton4 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 MDX. Has anyone purchased a remanufactured rim?
    Does the rim look as good as an OEM one?
    Who remanufactures the best ones? :)
  • jdyahoojdyahoo Member Posts: 5
    Yes, I have had the exact same problem with my 2005 MDX. I took it into the dealer and they could not replicate the problem and told me they had never heard of that happening. It started when the car was 2 years old, with ~30,000 miles. It had not happened in a while (maybe a year) until about 2 months ago when it started doing it again. It can be very scary.
  • saramaddiesaramaddie Member Posts: 19
    edited March 2010
    I have a 2007 MDX. Has anyone experienced problems with the seat position memory? I know the positions are programmed correctly but I have to repeatedly press the buttons and get minor changes in the seat and mirror positions. Eventually, after pressing the button about 12 times the seat and mirror positions are correct.
    I have a 2008MDX with 49K km and it is doing the same thing. When I return to Canada I'll take in for warranty. The memory works only occasionally.
  • bloomy63bloomy63 Member Posts: 5
    The problem is with the side mirror actuators. We experienced the same problem with the seat position memory. They replaced almost all hardware within the system over a 2 year period. The tech explained that all of the hardware within the system is interconnected, and if one part failed to go to the correct location, the system would stop. They replaced the mirror actuators about a year ago, and all has been fine since.
    same here
    My 2008 MDX memory started acting up.
    Seats would move little bit, steering will not move

It was passenger side outside mirror actuator assemble
    Very common problem in 2008+

Dealer replaced both actuator assy (Part No 76210-STX-H02). Hope this helps
  • cybur1cybur1 Member Posts: 7
    My '04 MDX is coming up on 105,000 miles. It has been essentially trouble-free except for a torque converter problem which the dealer fixed for little out-of-pocket. All my scheduled maintenance has been done. This one is big bucks! The dealer is recommending replacing the water pump, since it is off during the service, at an additional $200. If I follow all their recommendations, I will be in for nearly $2000. I know the timing belt is a big deal and the major expense. $200 for the water pump. $300+ for spark plugs. $300 for the valve clearance check. Is all this stuff really a good idea? I'm not destitute, but just trying to be practical. cybur
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Your Acura dealer plays with you.
    300 for valve check? That's BS.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited March 2010
    The The Edmunds Maintenance Guide says the 105k service should cost around $460 (for my zip code). Labor for the valve check clearance is like $3 bucks.

Maybe you can print it out and ask the service writer to explain the extras.

You could also ask if they work on commission. :shades:
    I think the valve charge is for adjusting and not checking. I called another dealer and got about the same estimate. How would one go about finding someone to do the work around Indianapolis for a more reasonable fee? Are these (especially the timing belt) things the dealer only should do? Should I just skip it altogether? Any further thoughts?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And how did the dealer know that they needed adjusting before they checked them? Hmmm.

Check the Local Services tab for dealer and repair shop reviews. And the Car Talk guys have a mechanics file too.
  • jvettejvette Member Posts: 70
    There is no way I would skip this service. There are interference engines and if that belt breaks you will buy a new engine. Anyone in Indianapolis can do the work so just check around.
  • brod77381brod77381 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Hello - I just purchased a pre-owned 2009 Acura MDX with 2000 miles on it, I've had it a total of 24 hours. My question is did you ever resolve the issue with the radio channels intermittently resetting? My MDX has done this 3 times, in 24 hours!
  • crowncitycrowncity Member Posts: 7
    Are you using the same key every time? Each key has it's own set of preferences. I believe radio station settings are included.
  • krypton4krypton4 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone removed the roof console on a 2007 MDX :confuse: The headliner is peeking through the front part. I would like to see if I can fix it.
  • ckploverckplover Member Posts: 1
    My fiancee is trying to find out where he can get a diagram or something on how to rebuild a 3.5 V-tech engine in a 2004 MDX. Can anyone help us out?
  • jslampjslamp Member Posts: 1
    All of the replies to your message were fairly old, and also inconclusive. Have you received any newer responses? Have you resolved the problem? I have the same issue with a 2004 MDX Touring that I purchased for my son.
  • stinger3stinger3 Member Posts: 16
    I had posted last year about thumping from right rear end of my '09 Tech/Sport package MDX when driving over pretty much any kind of pavement. Have manhole cover, will boom!. After much suspension work with many replacement on stabilizy/strutty kind of stuff, the dealer swapped my entire rear end suspension out with a 2010 suspension. Smooth baby roll! Worked great...until now. Rear end racket is back and as pronounced as ever. Anybody else have this issue? I am glad my dealer is honoring my warranty and executing fast and humble service, but the constant work is disconcerting and a pain in the rear (end).
  • gregmdxgregmdx Member Posts: 17
    I gave up on the suspension. I had my entire rear suspension replaced too to no avail. I did find a partial fix though. I put up the third row and put some acoustic foam on the floor behind the third row. Now I rarely hear the booming noise anymore.
    My fix was to keep it in comfort mode for the vast majority of time. ;)
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Just bought a 2010 Advance Package that was driven by the dealership's owner for 5,500 miles. It's very quiet whether in Sport or Comfort mode - no thumping noises at all. After reading these posts I paid close attention during an extended test drive before purchasing. Hopefully this issue will not surface as I put more miles on the vehicle (fingers crossed) - love everything about it so far.
    It was probably after 10,000 miles that the problem first began. And now again at about 22,000. Glad you have silence in yours. May it continue.
    I just sold the MDX. That fixed the problem for good. :)
    08 MDX Tech - This may seem obvious but my thumping was due to a bad right rear shock at 45K km (27,000 miles). It was recently replaced under warranty.
  • g_force1g_force1 Member Posts: 1
    Have your Acura Dealership check these Service Bulletins
    SB09-038 Thudding or drumming noise in rear over rough roads...applies to 2007/ 2008 /some 2009 MDX w/o Active Suspension (adj. dampers), involves replacing rear dampers(shocks).
    SB07-033 Knock /clunk over bumps...applies to some 2007 MDX VIN's. Replace upper bolt on rear damper.
    SB09-022 Rear suspension squeaks or crunches over large bumps...applies to 2007, 2008 and some 2009 MDX models. Replace the rear bumpstops.

Hope that helps!
    My Acura dealership did this TSB:
    SB09-038 Thudding or drumming noise in rear over rough roads...applies to 2007/ 2008 /some 2009 MDX w/o Active Suspension (adj. dampers), involves replacing rear dampers(shocks).

It didn't work though. If anything, it made it worse. A second dealership looked at it and said the booming thuds coming from the back where normal. So I just gave up and traded it in.
    I will give my dealer the details you passed along. We shall see what transpires. I appreciate your help.
    I agree with the dealer saying the problem is "normal". And by normal I mean that it is a common problem because of a faulty design faulty parts. Just because it is normal does not mean it is correct. Mine was quiet for nearly a year after they did a big replacement of the rear end. Now the sound has some back. I just might end up returning MDX as well one day. Can you say Lexus????

What new vehicle did you trade it in for?
    After 6 months of driving the MDX, my wife and I realized that we didn't once use the third row, nor did we ever come close to packing it full. So we asked ourselves, "do we really need a big SUV?" Nope. We were just following all the other Jones'. While we realized we didn't need an SUV, we still wanted something with a bit more versatility than a sedan, so we opted for an 2007 Audi A3, 3.2 Quattro. The thing rocks. Solid and planted, yet nimble and agile. Pretty fast too! And that 3.2 is silky smooth, sounds amazing. And with the seats down, you can actually fit a lot of stuff because it's a hatch. And the best part? No more booming over manhole covers!! Cutting my car payment in half is nice too.

I've had Audis before so I'm not expecting it to be as reliable as Honda. But I have 3 years worth of warranty, so I should be fine.

If you need all the room, the MDX is a pretty good SUV, minus the rear booming issue and floaty highway ride. But if you don't need the space, why pay such a penalty in purchase price, handling and gas mileage?

IF we needed another SUV, I had narrowed it down to the Volvo XC60 R-Design.
  • peters5peters5 Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 2009 Acura MDX. Suddenly the SH-AWD & Emmission lights came and has refused to go even expert have checked and could not identify any cause.

Please advice me on possible causes and how to handle.
  • katewakatewa Member Posts: 24
    I recently developed a noise in my '06 MDX ventilation system. It sounds similar to the noise made by an engine that has a leak in the exhaust manifold - but it is definitely in the vent system (goes away when I turn it off). Any idea of what could be causing this? It gets louder the higher I turn up the fan.
    I had a similar noise in my 2004 MDX. Turned out that a mouse had built a nest in the housing around the fan. Cleaned it out and problem fixed.
  • katewakatewa Member Posts: 24
    Thanks, cybur1. I had been parking my car outside for the past several days when the problem started. My first thought was maybe something crawled up in there. Where is the fan located? Can I access it myself or do I need to take it to a repair shop?
    I had the dealer do it. I think the access is behind the glove compartment, but don't know much more than that.