Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dfc1dfc1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you end up paying $1000? I am having the exact same problem with the transmission. Jerking around 25-30 miles when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Started complaining to dealer around 42K and the dealer was not finding anything wrong until now at 52K when I am out of warranty. Now, suddenly computer shows the code and the transmission needs to be replaced. I knew that 7 month ago when the car had 42K miles because the jerking movement was and now is exactly the same. Anyways, my situation is very similar and Acura said they'll pay for tranny but i have to pay $1100 to dealer to have it installed. It will have 36 month warranty or i can opt out and have everything for free but then no warrany. I don't know yet what to choose or if I should involve laywers. My bizness is around lawyers and I can clearly feel a Class Action lawsuit if Acura headquarters don't want to help cheated customers. Would you choose the transmission warranty for $1100 ?
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I disagree...I don't think it is cheap, I think it is smart not to purchase an extended warranty. $1800 for an extended warranty? Isn't that what the poster has to pay to get the transmission fixed? I would rather bank the cash at time of purchase and then pay out of pocket if I need a repair. Yes, it would be nice if the original owner had an extended warranty, but again, cheap or smart? If you are going to flip out of a vehicle at 40K miles why waste the money. Yes maybe the recipient of the used car gets stuck with problems, however just because someone is a Dr. or Lawyer, or mechanic, should we just be giving $$$ to the person you sell a used car to?

Also...if you have the money to fix a car, why pay for unecessary insurance to manage the possible problems you may face...it is just insurance, and if you have the money up front, you don't have to buy insurance...Perhaps you are an insurance salesman.

I think it is unfair to characterize people from Rich Fairfield county as cheap. People work hard for money. You can generalize people anyway you want...and sound uneducated everytime...whether, race, money, religion, etc.
  • wenwen Member Posts: 42
    I think it is unfair to characterize people from Rich Fairfield county as cheap. People work hard for money. You can generalize people anyway you want...and sound uneducated everytime...whether, race, money, religion, etc.

Not to go "off topic" but you remember the saying: NEVER criticize another man unless you have walked a mile in his shoes. Well I was born and raised in Fairfield County, Connecticut. I lived there close to 46 years before moving out of state. Moved back for a year, then left again. It's a very "rich" county, very, very rich !! Cost of living as well as real estate is mind boggling, yet pay for middle class jobs is extremely low. I have seen first hand for over a year, while Service Manager, the vast majority of F.C. people being "penny wise and dollar foolish".... in other words, have NO trouble shelling out money into no-essential options for their vehicle and totally ignoring an extended warranty. Then, as I said, arguing and swearing as they shell out $2500 for A.C. repairs on a Chrysler vehicle just 3 months out of standard warranty. Yes, for the majority of people a standard factory warranty is more than sufficient, especially if one plans to sell or trade-in every three years, or just can't afford the extra $1200+. But one must also understand that it's a "crap shoot" and IF a repair is needed it will be quite costly. Sure "banking" $1800 instead of putting it out up front for an extended warranty sounds sensible, especially if that vehicle never needed any major work for many, many years, many, many miles......... but in this real world of "planned obsolescence" things break, parts fail.
    I am NOT an "insurance salesman".... I am NOT "rich", in fact I make less than $30,000 per year. I live paycheck-to-paycheck so for ME there is no "extra" money to shell out for any major auto repair, such as transmission replacement, A.C. repair, etc. My decision to spend $1200 for an extended warranty for MY vehicle was totally up to me. In fact I was the one who ASKED the salesman to ad it on to the new vehicle purchase !!
    If you want to defend the "rich" than that is your right......... my comments in this forum was to encourage us "middle class" (just makin' it by check-to-check) to "prepare for possible disaster" in the future, especially if we plan to keep our vehicles 7 years or over 100K miles !!
    Remember, I was THERE........ I saw it FIRST HAND............. I had to deal with hundreds and hundreds of cases where the customer got stuck paying for something they should NOT have been charged for but "legally" they did not have a leg to stand on against the big Chrysler Corporation. Being "on the other side" (within a Dealer) it was disgusting what I actually saw, and not to beat a dead horse, but Doctors, Lawyers, Realtors would walk-in with no appointments and demand, yes demand immediate, preferred treatment over the "common folk" that had made appointments weeks in advance. I just call it like I saw it.......................................
    I was also born and raised there, and by no means rich, but manage my money and payments so I can afford a MDX. Such management for me means that putting aside money for repairs is better then giving it to someone on a crap shoot. Your original logic of putting out $1800 to get $1000 back on resale makes no sense if people have no plans to keep a car past the factory warranty...the person who just bought an MDX without extended warranty obviously bought it from someone who didn't want to keep it.

I don't have an issue with people who do and or don't buy an extended warranty. Just be careful not to generalize people...all people from Fairfield county are not rich, snobs, stupid, etc. You can find rich, snobs, stupid, complain about out if warranty repairs in every part of the country. Your original generalization smacks of predujice. If you had called a minority class stupid, poor, or something else, your post would have been removed. But since these people are rich it is OK.

I am an opponent of extended warranties and listen to my situation. I bought a 1999 Isuzu Trooper. With a month left on the factory warranty my transfer case stopped functioning properly. The dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong, but agreed there was a problem (the computer didn't tell them anything)...they said they would stand by it since they couldn't find anything wrong and when it died they would fix it. Now my truck won't even go into 4wd...they told me to shove it, take my truck and "never bring it back". If I had an extended warranty I would still be out of luck. Isuzu is just going out of business and us owners are SOL.

If I had an extended warranty I would at least have a legal leg to stand on, but I doubt I would get squat from Isuzu. I still don't think extended warranties are worth it.

Perhaps if we want to generalize...we should have said these people were dumb because they bought a Chrysler :-) Just kidding.
    Perhaps you can put some towels near suspected areas and blast them with a hose or go through a carwash. See if the towels get wet?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    It's a personal decision for the owner. Let's stay away from generalizations and stereotypes as many from all walks of life have valid reasons for or against purchasing a warranty.

If you would like to continue discussing the pros/cons of extended warranties, please do so in the topic available in Smart Shopper.

Extended Warranties
  • nsxtargansxtarga Member Posts: 3
    My wife has a 2001 MDX which has recently developed a severe water leak on both sides of the front seats. The dealer checked and said the sunroof drain and AC drain were clear. They want ot remove both seats and carpet t find the cause - at quite an expense. I doubt that this situation is unique to her car and wondering if anyone else has had the problem. Thanks in advance for and input.
    My wife's 2001 has the same problem and the dealers want ot remove both seats and carpet at great expense to find the problem. Did you ever find out what was the cause for your problem? Thanks for the courtesy of a reply.
    Did you ever discover the problem? My wife has the smae thing and dealer wants many $$ to check it out. Thanks.
  • dee11dee11 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, i would not go into detail about my job description but I work for a major auto manufacturer. Most manufacturers have goodwill adjustment for a certain amount of of time outside of warranty. ie If the warranty is 3/60 then for a period of like 2/24 outside of 3/60 then may do an adjustment this means that they may assist you until 5/84 whichever is greater but there are not going to volunteer this information. YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR HELP!!!! go to the Service manager meet with him and let him know your concerns. If you are not rude and a a understanding consumer who just wants some help then they will want to help you. Likewise if you go to the dealer swearing and telling them what they better do you will get NO assistance, work closely with the service director and service manager and perhaps review the back of your owners manual for customer assistance and they may be able to help you. You may also want to point out to the dlr if you bought the car new that you made a investment in acura and that you are a loyal customer and they may want to retain you as a customer-:)

hope this helps
  • squeezesqueeze Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2005 MDX Touring about 6 weeks ago and have had to bring it into service 3 times already do to LOUD gas sloshing and a clunking noise coming from the brakes. They are telling me that there is nothing that can be done about either problem. I'm not exaggerating when I say that these noises are very loud and intolerable. We have friends with this car and they do not get either noise, however I have read other complaints about these problems in this forum and wanted to know if anyone has been able to get any answers or solutions to these problems from Acura? We are thinking of trading in this vehicle because we can not live with these noises ( and shouldn't have to with a $40,000 vehicle ) but we are going to lose between $4000 and $5000 on the deal. Is there anything we can do?
  • wayneewaynee Member Posts: 16
    As you noted, so far Acura/Honda does not want to provide a technically sound solution to these problems. I had the brake shim treatment done to my 2002 and the noise went away for several thousand miles, but now I hear it sometimes. There are TSB's for both the front and rear brake noises. As far as the gas tank noise, here is some info I found on the subject:

The fuel tank is made by Kautex Corporation in Troy, MI. There have been three supersession design changes to it since 2001 model year. The fuel tank is really manufactured by so-called blow-molded plastic to be optimized into the odd shaped undercarriage of the car. That explains why they didn't put any noise reducer into the tank (blow molded!), and also explains why it is so difficult to catch the problem.

I know they don't care, but be assured I won't be sending any future $$ Acura/Honda's way on my next vehicle purchase. It really torques me when they say these sounds are normal. You can go drive the cheapest new car around and you won't hear those sounds.
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    When do you hear the gas sloshing and brake noise? Just curious b/c the MDX is on my short list for purchase next month. I'd like to know how to drive the MDX during a test drive to replicate your issues above. Thanks.
  • squeezesqueeze Member Posts: 3
    You hear it anytime the tank is over 1/2 full and you come to a stop or take off . As for the brake clunk, sometimes it will happen every time I hit the brakes but it is usually more frequent when the car has been sitting overnight. I would make sure to test drive one with a full tank and the radio off. Make sure you drive for awhile before purchasing this vehicle.
  • suv2002suv2002 Member Posts: 20
    Hello Everyone--

I'm considering a certified used MDX--I just started my search. Am I crazy or is the SUV OK? Any other options? I'm looking to spend between $25-$30K.

I own a 2002 Acura TL-S and had the tranmission swapped out @ 14K miles at no cost. Car has run fine for last 20K miles. This one will replace a '98 QX4 with almost 100K miles.
  • gosox18gosox18 Member Posts: 7
    Yup - I opted to pay the $300 bucks for the side molding for my MDX, because I have had two CRV's with side molding and noticed I never had any door dings to speak of with either one of them....I actually think it is riduculous that the MDX does not come with the molding, but maybe it looks more "sleek" without it. The sleekness gets overshadowed by dents, I am sure. Get the molding! The autobahnd was a great purchase for me too.......
  • inemerinemer Member Posts: 44
    Try to back up with 1/2 of gas tank - and you will hear gasoline splashing. Today is exactly 1 year anniversary when I got my MDX and this problem never bothered me. Great car!
  • desertkevdesertkev Member Posts: 76
    Hi all, I have an '02, bought new in '02. I have the gas slosh, brake thud, speaker vibrate too. But the true worrisome problem is that it sometimes is a "hard start" in cool moist mornings. I am actually embarrased that my neighbors may see me CRANKING a $36000 SUV. I took to the Davis Acura dealer (who are incredible nice) and they could not reproduce the problem (gave a loaner and washed car before returning to me). Only happens occasionally. Dealer said they were told by Acura that it can take up to 8 seconds to turn over and that this is okay....!!! Bull-poop. I have a 72 buick that takes 8 seconds....but not an 02 MDX. Anyone else experience this?? I take great pride in oil changes and care, park on a flat drive, etc. Plese let me know if anyone knows anything. Thank you. :mad:
  • gosox18gosox18 Member Posts: 7
    Come to think of it, I noticed the gas sloshing noise a couple of times - I used to hear it with my CRV when it was full. This one is a bit louder but I just think it is the car growling....Fun to drive, every minute of it! Turn up the stereo and step on it! :shades:
  • mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    I bought a certified 02. Watch out for the transmission, there is definitely problem with the transmission in the old MDX. Acura should extend the warranty of the gear box to 100K..
    I don't have a problem with my '02.

However, try leaving it in the "on" position for a few seconds and then give it a shot of gas before cranking. I understand sometimes the fuel injectors in all cars need to get primed prior to starting, much like pausing and then giving a old flooded carburated car 3 slow shots of gas and then starting.

Do you run high test? Try stp gas treatment and switching stations.
    How are you sure? Did yours fail?
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    I have an 03 MDX and also have had the brake clunk and the gas tank sloshing. Had the brake caliper fix done on it, but the clunk comes back after a while. I tend to be very cognizant of car noises, but neither of these is really that troublesome for me. The brake noise is usually heard when just starting a drive in the morning, and sloshing sound is infrequent and not very loud. Personally, I am more concerned with interior rattles and squeaks during constant driving, which this vehicle does not exhibit.
  • kcmoore11kcmoore11 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem here. Purchased a 2002 MDX new in January 2002. Transmission failed at around 30K miles in July 2003 (first day of vacation, away from home, would not shift up from 2nd gear). Acura acknowledged that the 2001 and 2002 transmission have a problem with 2nd gear overheating. There is a recall notice (which I received after returning home from vacation...). They either add a fluid injection kit (if they determine the transmission is not damaged) to help keep 2nd gear cooler or they replace the transmission (if there is damage, which was my case). Seems fine since. Now 47K miles.
  • irishwheatirishwheat Member Posts: 30
    I would love some advice. My 200 MDX has had problems almost from day one. First the navigation system did not work, and Honda could not fix it. Customer service at Acura was rude and offered a "oil change" for my trouble. Then the electrical system wouldn't work right. The On Star shorted out. Now the heater will not work, Only the a/c is on all the time. I am thinking its best to cut my losses and sell the car, and buy a new tribeca or x3, any thoughts? Thanks :mad:
  • redbarettaredbaretta Member Posts: 22
    To everyone who has a trouble-free MDX ... congrats! The MDX is a safe, good performing and practical SUV. It is easily a top pick compared to the competition in its price range. I consider myself a car-guy and researched this purchase extensively prior to plunking down the cash. I was convinced I was spending my money wisely in buying a new family mobile for the wife and kiddies.

Unfortunately, things didn't work out the way I planned. My 2004 MDX Touring has all the little(?) problems that equal up to a very irritating ownership experience. As I have written previously, I have the tank sloshing and brake clunking issues so prevalent on this board. Also, my "X" came to me with numerous initial defects. But my biggest gripe is with the rattling noise coming from the driver's window area. I've tried fixing this over six times with the dealership. I’ve now escalated the issue to Acura and their "factory-rep" and met with one of two responses each time: #1 "I don't hear it" or #2 "That is a normal sound". It is amazing how much Acura is NOT a luxury car dealer. This $40K SUV has more problems in year one than my 1989 Dodge Dynasty had in its 14 year run. And that car was my NYC commuter car (read beater.) I am positive I can go get a Kia Rio tonight for $10K that will have less NVH than this MDX.

I'm one of those people on this board that feel cheated and want to lash out at Acura by selling this thing and thus taking a financial bath after less than one year. But I won't. I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. I'll keep this thing 3-5 years then unload it onto someone who is deaf so I don't feel bad about myself. And until that glorious day when I am unburdened by this squeaky, rattling, clunking, sloshing mess ... I plan on letting everyone know how unsatisfied I am with this product and Acura/Honda's ignorance of customer complaints regarding their lapses in "engineering brilliance."
  • henrywuhenrywu Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to hear your story regarding your MDX.

My experience with Acura services is that they always try the easiest and least expensive fixes first on your car. When the customer comes back with repeated problems, more diagnostic and testing will then follow. The key for any debugging process must begin with repeating the problem (by the technician, specifically). If they keep replying that the problem is not present in their hands and it did occur in your hands, ask them to ride with you and show the proof of your problem.

If the problem actually exist, I don't see any one, here means Acura, can get away and have to deal with the problem. If there is no cure for an identified problem, you should talk to their General Manager (GM) and ask for remedy. I believe that GM will be happy to bring this up to Acura since this is a car problem rather than a service problem.

Talking to Acura directly, in my case, did very little to solve the problem.
  • mdx846mdx846 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 MDX which I love to drive, but at times my car smells like rotten eggs. This especially happens when I accelerate to highway speed. The Dealer tells me to empty the existing gas which I did a couple of times but still no luck. Have anyone experience the same or have any suggestions?
    I feel exactly the same way. Acura has really let me down, Im going to lose a chunk of money trading in my 2005 butIm going to! maybe a tribeca maybe an x3 but i am sure they will be better than this fiasco
  • mdtamdta Member Posts: 27
    Read my earlier post, the gear does not engage smoothly, you feel a shudder at the point of gear change. I have the feeling that the transmission is worn out. This car is only three year old!!!
  • hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    Just to balance things out a bit as it is expected that most posters here will be providing negative comments because that this the purpose and nature of this forum, but I have been very pleased with out 04 MDX Touring. No problems at all. We could not be more pleased with it and also the quality of the dealership experience including the routine service.

Looking forward to the inevitable redesign at some point and assuming that goes well will probably trade in then for the new design. Probably the wrong forum for this so will search others to find out when a redesign is expected. I appreciate the information in this forum as it certainly provides valuable perspectives to keep my ears and eyes focused on as our 04 gains more miles.
  • shell7shell7 Member Posts: 7
    i agree with wen. i've been working for a toyota dealer for nine years now and have seen the extended warranties pay for virtually everything (not wear and tear of course) for many people, including tax, parts and labor. Factory-backed warranties cover almost every repair and save people thousands upon thousands of dollars, (not to mention substitute transportation, towing, travel protection, etc). Sometimes laying out the $1500 for the warranty may save you $3000+ down the road. If you hang on to your cars a long time or do quite a bit of mileage per year, considering the extension on the warranty seems sensible. It's the aftermarket warranty companies that really have the fine print. So, if purchasing an extended warranty, make sure it is given by the factory. (That way you know you are covered for everything.)
    I am down to two car choices for my new car purchase this week (the Acura MDX or the Acura RL) and am slightly concerned after reading all these forums about the MDX. Overall, would you guys recommend the MDX (2005) or would you suggest going with another model? I am hoping that everything negative i have read about on the MDX's have been squared away in the 2005 models...but would love some helpful feedback from those of you out there that own an MDX, (especially for those of you that own a '05). Has Acura finally gotten it together and fixed the problems as stated in previous forums or are these cars still experiencing the same problems? I am trading out of a '02 TL because had to replace the transmission for the 2nd time in 6 months; so I am getting out of one headache and just don't want to take on another. Any advice would be helpful.
    read my earlier posts, I own a 2005 Mdx with 7000 miles , loaded, and I cant wait to get rid of it...read my earlier posts....dont do it!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This is an issue that is not specific to one make/model. Although this discussion is archived, perhaps it will give some insight to the problem.

Rotten Egg smell exhaust
    I have read your posts and that is what is frightening me! I was hoping other's besides yourself might have some input as well. Have you spoken to other MDX owners and do they all seem to have the same problems? I really don't need another car that will put me through hell; that is why i am getting out of my '02 TL. I might as well hang on to it since the only problem i am having at the current time is with the trainy. Better than taking on a vehicle that is going to have more problems than the one i am in now! What are you thinking about replacing your MDX with?

Thanks for the advice!
    Im looking at the Tribeca and the X3 Its a hard decision
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    My 2004 MDX has 8200 flawless miles.... Heard the sloshing noise once and have the brake noise once in the morning backing out of the driveway and that's it. Very smooth automobile.

The Tribeca and X3 are not comparable to the larger MDX - different animals. Tribeca is new model year (although Subies are very reliable) and X3 is a Consumer Reports black dot special (you'll get to know the BMW service manager whether you want to or not)...
  • henrywhenryw Member Posts: 4
    Since you have some many problems with your new MDX, have you read your state's Lemon Law?

My state's Lemon Law's requirements are (should be common):

1. More 4 fixes for the same issue.
    2. More than 2 fixes on same critical issue. (like break)
    3. In service department for more than 30 days during the first 18 months of ownership.

Document your problems and service records and see where you are. You then discuss your case with your dealer (Management level) and ask them to talk to Acura. You do not need to wait until your car becomes a full Lemon before talking to them. If Acura is willing to stand behind their products and your car is really in bad shape, they have to act and respond.

Everyone want a perfect new car especially it comes to be the MDX. Have you seen Lexus and VW owners forums? There are unhappy RX, GX, Touareg owners just like we saw here. If it happens that you got a bad one, work with all parties (yourself, law, dealer, and Acura) to resolve the problem and save your investment.
  • bluenoser2bluenoser2 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 MDX Touring with Navigation and am experiencing a high pitch whistle or beep periodically which sounds like it is coming from inside the cabin. I’ve heard the sound while driving at various speeds both on the highway and on local streets. I’ve also heard it while stopped at a signal light and after stopping in my driveway (not while stopping but after being stopped). I was wondering if anyone else has heard a similar noise and if you could give me some ideas what it might be before I bring it to the dealership. Thanks.
    Arbitration is where we are at.Acura Customer service was just plain mean.I even wrote a letter to the president of Honda, believe me, after 6 Hondas this is my last
  • mdxownermdxowner Member Posts: 2
    1500 Miles into my new 2005 MDX and my only complaint is a little rattle from the DVD overhead screen, it may just need to be tightened up. I had a Lexus RX330 for 4 days and then returned it to get the MDX. I love the Navigation, voice commands, XM Radio. Kids love the DVD player and the wife loves the fact that the kids are quiet watching Spongebob. The vehicle rides nice and seem to get pretty good gas mileage.

Good Luck
  • hondaloverhondalover Member Posts: 1
    Go for the MDX. I have been a honda/acura owner for 17 years. With the exception of replacing a timing belt, a few minor warranty things and recalls I have never had any problems with my cars.I am surprised so many have. I recently traded in my 2002 TL for an MDX. I did not have to do anything to my TL except regular maintenance. I am hoping for the same quality witht the MDX One of things that I don't do with my Acuras is take it to the Acura dealer for service, I go to a Honda dealer. They have all the parts ( filters etc) and they are about 2/3 the price and not nearly as arrogant as the Acura service, The Honda dealer gives me a car for the day( free) if they are doing something like a longer service or will take me to work. The Acura dealer charges to rent a car. You Acura owners ought to check out your Honda dealer, They are more honest about what you need to have done and diagnosing a problem. They will tell you if it is warranty then you can go back to the Acura dealer and get it serviced there. Honda can't do Acura warranty or recall work.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    We had a problem free '01 MDX we kept for 3 years and 47K miles before trading it for an '04 - which we have had for nearly 1.5 years and a trouble free 20K miles. I highly endorse the MDX as a well experienced owner :) :shades:
  • redbarettaredbaretta Member Posts: 22
    Seeing as how I wrote the original post I thought I'd update it. To recap: I have the small nit pick problems lots of people have plus one really annoying and rattling drivers window. I only tried to get the window fixed as I could live with the other issues (though they are disconcerting on a car I paid 36K for.) Okay so the good news. After months (like 9) of going back and forth to the dealer and escalating to Acura I FINALLY got my MDX fixed. I really have to thank my wife who like a pit bull bothered Acura every week for the last 3 months strait to get them to replace literally every part in the drivers door. It didn't hurt that I had a good and free attorney in the family to help advise me on what to say to get Acura's attention. Realistically this wasn't a big enough issue for a lemon law but I got traction with breach of warranty threats. That seemed to be the angle that forced Acura to try and solve my rattling window when they refused for months saying it was "acceptable."

So they did the work. The window works great and doesn't make a sound now. I'm very happy with the car once that giant annoyance was fixed. I'll live with the gas sloshing and brake clunks which in the grand scheme of things don't really amount to much. Like I originally said, the X is a comfortable, safe, well-performing SUV that I was pysch'd about being able to purchase. After 9 months of torture by Acura they finally allowed me to force them to do the right thing and I have the SUV I thought I was buying originally. I am happy with it now and since mechanically it has been perfect I can recommend it to others.

Hope everyone else's issues get resolved one way or another as well.
    Just picked up a new 05 MDX Premium (13 miles on the odo.) and noticed air will not flow from the rear vents unless I press the "RR A/C Manual" button to give the rear passengers control. If I press the button again so that it's light is off, the airflow stops. Am I doing something wrong, am I missing a step, or is something wrong with the climate control system?

Also, where's the sticker that shows the date the truck was built? I tried under the hood and opening the doors and didn't find it.

Last, did anyone pick up a MDX and notice the leather on the seats was already starting to wrinkle? Is that a sign of poor quality leather or the truck sitting for a while on the lot (hence my question above)? Thanks.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    The rear A/C works off the rear control panel, thus they will need manual control.
  • acannitoacannito Member Posts: 1
    I am having a similar problem.. Every now and then I turn the key and my 2003 MDX sounds like it will start but does not.. Had to be pushed out of the way at a gas station once another time I was at work and it would not start.. Both times I waited 5-10 mins then it started.. Brought to the dealer and they tell me it could be fuel related.. I dont think so. Please let me know if you have found a solution so I can bring it back to them . Also have you had any problem with the key being stuck in the ignition as I cannot get the key out sometimes.... Its very strange and am wondering if its at all related.

Thank you.
  • henrywhenryw Member Posts: 4
    Try increase or decrease AC temperature (toward HI or LO) and see if there is warm or cold air come out from the rear AC vent. When AC is set in Auto mode, the controller (computer) is taking control with the temperature and fan speed of all vents in the MDX. I found sometime the air comes out from front side vents but not from others (include rear ones). I also found once that the front vent is brewing cold air while the rear ones are with warm air for some time period (occurred when drove out from the garage) . All the above cases are with auto or full auto mode.

We found ourselves constantly switch to real manual mode to reduce fan speed or turn off the rear AC because we have a little baby in the second raw. The rear upper vents blew air right on my baby daughter's face. We also found that fan speed is usually a bit too strong in AC auto mode.
    Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a game of guess-and-check with the rear controls. I have a little card that came with the X stating that to keep control of the rear air using front controls, the button needs to be pressed so that the button light is off. Very odd since the light is always off unless pressed. Oh well, I'll keep playing with it. If I can't get any air to come out via a combination of controls up front, I'll take it in.