Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How to find a quality salesperson

Comments

• biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Not a bad idea. A subtle but attractive lapel pin maybe, if it's the type of dealership where the sales personnel wear suits. Could work for both men and women. Or - what else? Baseball cap too dorky. Tie clip, maybe?
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    Hey Biancar, when you said you grew up in a small town in Michigan I was waiting for you to hold up your right hand and point where!

I am a chicago boy, but spent my summers of me youth in Baldwin and the Ludington area. (Holds up hand and points just below pinky/index finger)
    (Holds up hand and points to gently rounded area slightly above the wrist, western side of the hand - er, state.)

(Also spent my summers in the Great North, either in the Keewanaw or near Glen Arbor, about one knuckle into the pinky. :shades: )
    Hey, if your bored I just added you to my yahoo IM- sent you a message if you wanna chat.
    I didn't get it. Anyway, it's late and I'm off to sleepy-time land. Maybe another time.
  • rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **Terry, I'm curious, how does a customer politely tell a salesman "You know, I'd prefer working with someone else.......**

You step on his foot .. then look em' straight in the eye and say: "I'd prefer working with someone else......." ..l.o.l...

Probably a better way .. is just grab the sales manager and nicely say "you would feel more comfortable working with someone else, or you two just don't click" and he'll recommend his top guy/gal .... it happens, you don't have to worry about hurting someones feelings if done in a nice way .. plus your there to buy a vehicle and the store wants to sell you one, that's priority #1 .... don't worry about the other stuff ...

Terry.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    Of course that high CSI could be because salesman is good at schmoozing but not amenable to good dealing--but customers don't realize they've been stroked and overpaid so they give good CSI.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    To this, I can only add a resounding "so what?" The ability to schmooze without coming across as condescending is a great skill to have for a long-term successful career in sales. If a number of customers are happy with the sales process, whether it's because he/she schmoozed or for any other factor, then it doesn't really matter - the customer walked away happy.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    just grab the sales manager and nicely say "you would feel more comfortable working with someone else, or you two just don't click" and he'll recommend his top guy/gal

I tried that the last time I bought a car. I got stuck with a slimy, oily, epitome of every bad salesperson we've ever talked about (he even pulled the can't-have-your-keys-back trick until I had a literal temper tantrum), but I really, really wanted the car and it was one in very short supply everywhere. I left, furious after I managed to get hold of my keys, and called back the next day to the sales manager and asked for another salesperson.

I ended up making the deal, which was a great one, on the phone with the sales manager in that phone call. Came the day after that for delivery. Who was sent to do the delivery? Oily boy himself. I told him I didn't have time to listen to him and yes I understood he was required to tell me a thru z (I already knew way more about the car than he did), and I would tell anyone who wanted to know he had done that. Now go away and let me take my new car. :D

Terry, I'm sure you're probably right, but it didn't work so well for me. In retrospect, I should have gone right to the sales manager's office and said hey, I told you I don't want to work with this jerk, but sometimes it's easier just to get out of there as soon as possible under any circumstance required. :confuse:
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    In fact it's often the case that the customer who pays a bit more gives the best CSI, and those who get the lowest, bottom price give the worst.
    I agree with kirstie and will add this - "overpaid" is a subjective term. I think each person has to decide what price they are willing to pay.

My dad use to ask me, what do you have more of time or money? For some people they have the time to do diligent research, read the prices paid forums, find the dealer incentives and calculate the best price.

For others they will see the Edmunds TMV and Invoice and go from there. Both people will leave the dealership happy even though one left money on the table, and hundreds of dollars apart. But sometimes $500 just doesnt bother people- thats just a function of wealth.

The more I think about this and after my experience last night and reading these boards, I believe that if your main goal is to get the best deal and the rock bottom price it has nothing to do with the salesman.

It is a function of your research, the time you are willing to spend at the dealership, and the sales manager.

In fact I think that salesman gets the short end of the stick here.

You tell the sales guy what your top price is (the bobst method) and you don't budge. Get up and walk out, and go somewhere else. After a few rounds of this, either you will get your deal, or you need to revisit your price.

Howver, if the SM knows you are serious and the dealership wants to push a car out they will do it regardless of his commission. I think the dealership is more concerned about moving a car that what the salesman makes.

I just think if you have a green pea- this may add another 1-2 hours to the process.
    ... **I should have gone right to the sales manager's office and said hey, I told you I don't want to work with this jerk ...**

Pat, you just answered your own question ... you should have gone to the manager ...

There's a particular golf store I like to go .. it's huge ... 70,000 sq feet of every driver, wedge, putter, simulator, shaft, ball, glove, iron and cart heater you could ever think of - and then some ... it makes the February issue of "Golf Digest Hot List" look like a owners manual for buying milk .... they also have a team of 9 or 10 guys that work there, some retired, some ex-pro's and some working their way thru life ... 99% of them are super nice and very knowlegable ... then you have
    "Burt".

The last time "Burt" worked out, was the day after he was born - and not since ... he's old school, he doesn't believe in graphite shafts, thinks any driver over a 9.5 degree is a sacralige, hybrids are for communists and still believes the LPGA stands for .. aah, well, hmm, if you follow golf then you'll know what he thinks ..

"Burt" still thinks he can drive a ball 300 yrds - (not that he ever could) and probably has a 35 handicap ..l.o.l.. .. he has the "end all answer" to everything in golf - just ask him, and the last time he showered was just before the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000 .... in comes Terry to look around - Yikes.! ... ~ I nicely asked his manager for a different person and politely stated my reasons ...... no more "Burt" to "help" me out ... the other 9 guys are superb, actually play golf with half of them now.

The point to this long winded silly story..? ... there's a "Burt" in every aspect of life .. you got em' at Dilliards, Publics, Home Depot, the realtor down the street and the dry cleaner 8 blocks away ... me.? .. I'll play golf with the good guys -- and your reason was..? ...... it's always your choice.

Like my Great Grand Daddy used to say: "make a decision - or someone will make one for ya.!"

Terry :P
    Pat, you just answered your own question ... you should have gone to the manager ...

I know, and I wasn't really asking a question, just telling a story. I may or may not be like most people, but my point was that sometimes it's just easier to find the door than to continue fighting and fighting. It was more important to me to escape at that point, I had my new car, I had my deal and most importantly, I had my keys!!! :P So buh, BYE!!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...got a kick over "oily boy".........

...very innovative label......

..CarsD last summer provided little sales force give and take... $23413(+tax/license/dork fee)got me an Accord 6M.

...but the Honda Care EW pitch - - - another story!

best, ez..
  • jcat707jcat707 Member Posts: 169
    I have a question. Our salesperson who we have leased 2 vehicles from has moved to another dealership. So the question is, should we follow our salesperson to the new dealership? The new dealership is further away than the old one. We have had great service from the old dealership and we have no idea what the new one is like. Our salesperson was not bad but they weren't spectacular either. We really like the old dealership. Has anyone else experienced something like this before? Any suggestions?
    Our salesperson was not bad but they weren't spectacular either. We really like the old dealership.

I think you've answered your own question ... :)
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    I agree with our Host, you've answered your own question.
    The salesperson can't really do anything for you when it comes to service etc with the new dealership. If you are satisfied with the old dealership and have recieved good service from them, stay with them. Go in and talk with the GM or Sales Manager and tell them what you would expect from a salesperson and ask them to hook you up with the best fit for you.
  • gcomstock1gcomstock1 Member Posts: 8
    Apologies for possibly hijacking this thread, but I'm hoping my angle is compatible with the theme. Recently I'm car shopping *and* career shopping, which led me here. This question is directed mainly to the car biz professionals, but civilian responses are appreciated too. :)

1. What does constitute a quality salesperson? I'm susupecting that the auto buying public's point of view is quite different than the dealers'...but with CSI factored in...there must be a sweet spot, right? In my own tire kicking recently, it's frustrating that none of the salespeople could speak knowledgeably about competing models. Wouldn't most buyers start out with a short list, pursue a process of elimination and appreciate somebody who could candidly help point out the pluses and minuses. Way too many salespeople have been "mere touts" who can only dismiss the competition without any facts whatsoever.

2. If I entered this career I'd want to be a knowledgeable, helpful and consultative salesman, not just a manipulative tout. Am I naive to even think this approach might work (or how would I find employers who endorse this style)?

3. Living in a major metro area puts me close to a hundred dealers...how does one (efficiently / effectively) learn which stores are good places to work? *Would* those same stores...be good choices to buy from?

Thanks!
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    First, you have to be able to handle rejection on a massive level. If you can not handle that first statement you can stop reading now.

After a moment of thought on what it takes....you must be competetive, intelligent, have charisma, be able to think on your feet, be an excellent problem solver, and not afraid to fail miserably.

if it was easy, everyone would do it.

With all that being said, I dont think there is anything like the car business and it is a great career for the right people and a hard way to make an easy living for most.
    ..... This is a big negative, so you need to think about this particular issue *first* - Hours & Time .....

Most successful salespeople need to spend 60/70+ hours a week working at the store ... and that means weekends and "most holidays" .... that also means being there from 8/9AM and getting home at 8/9/10PM .....

That's the issue you have to address first .... it kills your golf game and it's not much better on your social life ..l.o.l...

Terry.
    .... I forgot to mention ...

That "is" the #1 reason for turnover in this business .....

Terry.
  • bigdveedubgirlbigdveedubgirl Member Posts: 402
    In the begining of your career, yes you have to do the 60-70 hour work week. I would always laugh at the GPs who would leave right on time on the early shift, and ask when they could have a day off.

Now that I am more established and more organized (I am using that term loosly) I work my shifts, unless I have an appointment or I sell a car late. I have noticed, sitting watching an empty parking lot while I should be off does not make me sell anymore cars. It stills equates to about 50 hours a week.

Until I started working HI-Line, I did not have much of a social or love life. Some guys had a problem with the hours and me working with all guys. Its a hard business for young people these days (I am not old though) because of the theory of "instantanious gratification" because alot of the real young GPs expect to make 10k their first month w/out putting any work into it.
  • jlawrence01jlawrence01 Member Posts: 1,757
    Its a hard business for young people these days (I am not old though) because of the theory of "instantanious gratification" because alot of the real young GPs expect to make 10k their first month w/out putting any work into it.

I think that it is a hard realization (or rude awakening) for a lot of young people that "being successful" in any business rarely is a 9-5 proposition. (That is also a reason why I don't sit and worry whether or not I will have a job next year.)

You have to be there when the customer is available.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Hi guys I'm back on edmunds after my 6 month absence. Good to see familiar names still around.

I switched dealerships, but then came back to my original one, dad had leukemia, and he beat it for now; and I got engaged to my sweetie which I met when she bought a car from me 1 year ago! So I was quite busy!

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Welcome back boomcheck. Glad to hear your dad is o.k as well as your sweetie agreeing to marry you.

I asked out a girl who sold me my second vehicle. I picked her up at her house to go out on a date, and her 4 year old son said, "My mommy doesn't want to go out with you". Well... he was right. I called her back after the first date. She said she was getting back with her former boyfriend. :blush:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    thanks

I met my fiance through her then boyfriend. He bought a car from our dealership but I ended up helping him cause he didn't like the salesman he dealt with. Then he brought my now fiance in who bought her car, then they brought her dad in who also bought a car from me, and finally her then boyfriend brought in 3 of his friends in the course of 6 months who also bought cars from me. They ended up breaking up, and the rest is history. We hooked up last October and got engaged in mid September this year. ;)

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Now that is funny.
    Yeah, what was funnier is going to her house and seeing her dad. A little akward at first, switching from the salesman mode to "I'm dating your daughter mode"

• jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    Isn't that carrying the concept of "Service After the Sale" a bit far?? :D
    She's the one that contacted me, and started flirting with me. Trying to hook up with customers is usually not my thing. But it happens in the business every once in a while.

Someone trying to revive this topic???
  • madmanmoomadmanmoo Member Posts: 2,039
    Lol, this guy is just trying to advertise sites. Fun stuff. Keep it up, Stick. Good luck in your new ventures!
    I guess nobody has a problem finding a quality salesperson anymore.

• jmbkljjmbklj Member Posts: 19
    How can I choose my sales person? All too often when I visit a dealership, I am approached immediately by someone, and it may be someone I don't appreciate doing business with. Then I'm stuck with whoever approached me first. How can I choose who will receive that commission? Since I am the customer, how can I choose who to do business with? Is that possible? I don't really have friends who bought the brand of car I want to ask for a referral.

I don't like overbearing pushy sales people - the kind you think about from years past. Unfortunately, in my town, they still exist and sometimes their supervisors are even worse than the sales rep, so speaking to one of those supervisors can be unpleasant. What's unfortunate is the largest dealership with the largest selection of cars I want to buy still uses some of those old school tactics. I dread walking in there. Even making a phone call can be unpleasant and a long drawn out process, when all I have is one simple question to be ansered. For the model I want to buy, do you have any 2008 vehicles yet? A simple yes or no was all that I was looking for. No wonder people prefer to deal over the internet!

But back to the real question, how can I choose the sales person I'd like to work with?
    Imo, I think this is one of the most important parts of your car purchase. Most of the complaints about sales are not the cars.....it's the people! So wouldn't you want to test drive your salesman as well?

Here's my advice. Call into the dealership. Have a conversation with one of the salesguys and let them know what you're looking to purchase. You should be able to read a lot about those folks from that phone call. Are they kind? Patient? Knowledgeable?

If you simply walk into the showroom, you run the risk of talking to someone you may not like or want to work with.

Great question!

-Moo
  • mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I think she's saying how do I dump the bad one without the new one having to split the deal. Giving the guy she wants to work with a fresh up with no split (possibly better for her).

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

I actually scanned a little too quickly. I didn't see that she didn't like the phone call approach either. I think it's the best though. You don't have to be married to that salesperson, if you don't like him, you can hang up.

I really think that's a great approach to finding a salesman that you like.

It maybe in her (?) presentation as well. If you call up a dealer and ask if they have a specific model, take that time to see if you would like to work with that salesman as well. Don't make it too hard!

-Moo
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    It is probably easier to change your car-buying method then it is to find the perfect sales person.

I used to have a hard time with car sales people. I changed my method and now I love dealing with them.

Remember, you are there to get your questions answered, not to answer their questions. Therefore, you can ignore any of the questions you are asked.

Don't ever argue with a sales person. If you don't like the sales person, walk away and talk to someone else. No explanation needed.

If you have a definite plan when you go to the car dealer, you will enjoy the experience much more.
  • jmbkljjmbklj Member Posts: 19
    bobst, you are so right. Whether it's on the phone or in person, they like to drill you with questions when all they need to know is that a) I have no trade in, and b) there will be no financing, and c) that is how I bought my last 3 vehicles so I am not blowing smoke. I am upfront about the business details for the transaction so I hate it when they ask other questions about my life. It has no bearing on the business transaction. I am not there to make a new friend.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. :)
  • micosilvermicosilver Member Posts: 212
    I think referral is the best way to find a salesperson.
    Ask your friends, family, go online to the specific brand forums - get a recommendation in any way you can.
    Make sure the salesperson knows you have been referred and by whom.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,635
    "...how can I choose the sales person I'd like to work with?..."

Well you can line all the sales staff up against the wall and go down the line and slap each one in the face.

If the person slaps you back you don't want that one. He/she is obviously too aggressive. This salesperson won't give an inch in negotiations. :mad:

If the person starts to cry and falls to the floor you don't want that salesperson either. He/she has no backbone and won't fight with the Sales Manager to get you a good deal. :cry:

You want the salesperson who raises his/her hand to strike you and then pauses and says: "If you take the extended warranty you can slap me again!" This is a person who wants to make a deal. ;)

Or you could just do what Bobst said.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Excellent advice. We have actually just incorporated this into our meet and greet. Unfortunately, some of the greenpeas have realized what it takes to be chosen. Obviously we need to tweak the system.

We now use a battery and two clamps attached to each salesman's nipples. People can realize true pain now. And we actually see who has the backbone and who wants the deal.

Good business for sure.

-Moo
    Oddly I was just threatening this to a co-worker the other week.

I wasn't going to just attach them to his nipples though. :mad:
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Oddly I was just threatening this to a co-worker the other week

Anytime there is someone wanting to attach a set of battery cables onto another mans pills ( :cry: ) ... there has got to be a good story behind it?
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Not really just my old UPS management personality bleeding through when I get frustrated with someone who should have been let go long ago.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    We had a sales guy approach us as soon as we got out of the car (which I hate), but he ended up being pretty good.

We knew which model we wanted, but were a little unsure of the color and trim level. After getting in the first car for the test drive, the sales guy immediately asked 2 "qualifying questions" that I was able to shrug off. The first thing he asked was if we had a price range we were looking to be in, and I responded with, "No, we are just looking for a vehicle equipped with the things we feel to be most important.", and we proceeded to go over our list of got to have items.

The second question he asked was what monthly payment I was looking for, and I responded with, "I am looking to buy a car, not a monthly payment. If you give me a great price, and the special financing offer from the manufacturer, I will get the monthly payment I want.".

After this, he happened to make a comment about football, which started a friendly debate about which of our favorite teams was better, and a little friendly trash talk, and pretty much ended all of the qualifying questions. He really hustled, and opened up 5 different cars (color/trim combinations of the same model), and we were able to settle on 1 we liked. I guess the thing that impressed us the most, was that my wife was having a hard time deciding on a color. This guy drove us around his lot, even to the very back where some new cars had just come in to make sure she had seen every color/trim combination they had.

When we went inside to negotiate, he found out my wife was in the medical field, and the whole conversation revolved around her giving him advice about a condition he was having. He pretty much just relayed offers back and forth between us and the sales manager, and he and I never actually debated. We really didn't even talk about the deal - mainly off topic stuff.

I guess my point is that it seemed at first that this guy was going to be one canned line after the other (and I was even waiting for the 4 square to come out), but it ended up being a good experience. We didn't grind - worked out a deal in 15 minutes, and he will get all "excellents" on the survey (I promised him that before he even brought it up).
    You ran into a good salesman. It's nice to have, huh?

A good salesman MUST qualify a customer. It's his job. He knew he had a deal and stuck with it. His qualifying questions, though shrugged off by you, gave him all the information he needed. You were buying something!

-Moo
    Yup and after he confirmed you were a real buyer with the up front questions he broke all the ice and made you feel comfortable with the football questions.

Do you have football stuff in your car or maybe a bumper sticker or did he just make a good guess?
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    1. He greets you before your car stops moving, in doing this he shows that he is eager to help you. In the process he gives an elbow to the face of of one of his fellow sales people and trips another. This is just another sign of his eagerness to help and wants to ensure that you are not exposed to one of his less qualified co-workers.

2. His dress: White paten leather shoes, wide white belt, dress slacks, a white shirt, and a tie with cars on it and a hint of the ravviolli sauce from lunch 3 days ago. But most important check out the amount of gold he has on. If he only has a wedding ring and nothing else, run, run away quick, he is obviously a failure at his chosen profession. Now if he has 4 rings, a gold bracelet, and enough gold necklaces to qualify as Mr. T starter kit then you have found your man.

3. Conversation: Make sure he speaks only to you and does not even honor your wifes presence with a hello. But when he does eventually speak to her make sure he calls her, honey and darlin and only ask for her opinion when it comes to color. Every one knows buying a car is mans business and a women should not have to worry her pretty little head about it. Especially when you start talking about the money.

4. Make 110% sure that within 5 minutes of you looking at the first car these words come out of his mouth, "If I could get you a great deal would you buy this car today" This needs to happen before the test drive, actually it is best if it happens before he ever gets a key to open the door. This shows he is eager to get you done quickly, we all know your time is valuable.

5. After the sale: the way you will really know that you have found a winner and have been helped by the best they got is after the sale. When you get home you notice the floor mats are missing and you only got one key so you give him a call. After 3 days he does not return your calls. This shows that he is a great salesperson because he is helping so many customers in the manner he helped you that he does not even have time to call you.

But here is the icing on the cake that proves you got the best in the biz. You go to the dealership to get your key and floor mats and when you pull up your professional salesperson greets you and says, "Welcome to Sell and Forget Motors can I help you"? That proves he is so intent on taking care of a new customer he can't even remember you.

These are just a few of the things that show you how to get the best.

* Oops the 80's just called me, they want there stereo type back. :D
  • joel0622joel0622 Member Posts: 3,299
    I forgot one other crucial point.

His Business Card: Hopefully when you hands you his card it has the name of another salesperson scratched out and his name written in. This proves two things.

1. He is trying to keep overhead for the store down by not wasting cards

2. He is environmentally conscious.
This discussion has been closed.