Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Ram

Comments

• AirwolfAirwolf Posts: 142
    Nothing is perfect, so I would suggest getting what you are happiest with. Test drive both, and then choose whichever one you like. I wouldn't recommend closing the deal until you are fully versed in what you want, and what each truck line offers.
    Dodge (from what I hear) have fixed most of the problems with brakes, engines, et al, in the 1998 models. Pre-98 models did have a lot of problems, but from what I hear, most 98+ models haven't had many problems.
    Ford has always had extremely high quality trucks, but when something goes wrong, it's usually a big thing, like tires falling off... if you can get them to acknowledge it.
    That said, I'm ordering a new 99 F150 XLT 4x4 SC. Personal preference is important, and a few hundred dollars here or there in a purchase dael isn't anything compared to having something you want. So drive both, and get which ever one you are happy with.
    Word to the wise, the Dodge's will be redesigned in 2000, probably for the 2000 1/2 or 2001 model year. Ford will be right behind them. So the current model (while totally awesome) will not have much life left in it (if you care about that sort of thing.)

Good luck and Happy Holidays,
    Ryan Allen
  • dodgeramdodgeram Posts: 202
    The next ram will be the power wagon, and all of us dodge lovers, aare just going to flip when I tell you that dodge's new motor a 7.2 inline six, that has 250hp and 780lbs of torque. and Guess who makes this monster diesel, CATAPILLAR, yes you heard me right, I guess gm trucks coudn't handle all that power so catapillar went to dodge, and signed with them. THis is the motor you will find in the next genertation rams. So much for diesel competition. DOdge just blew them out of the water.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Caterpillar has not "signed" with anybody. The Power Wagon is a show truck. As much as I like the looks, remember that Cummins is under contract for 3 more years, and they are certainly able to offer their own improved engine to Dodge.
  • dodgeramdodgeram Posts: 202
    Don't get me wrong I love the cummmins, but whats wrong with having to of the best diesel companies under the dodge hood. Mabye dodge is going to have to diesel companies working for them, you never know, why else would cat even build an engine for dodge if there wasn't some type of agreement between them. You can't just put an engine in a truck without months of engineering involved.
    Cummins has already started development of the next 5.9. It would be ready for a Dodge application according to Cummins Tech representatives I spoke personally with, in the summer of 2002, in time for the 2003 model year. Cummins has had an outstanding relationship with Dodge for the last 10 model years, and as Ram diesel sales increase, Cummins reaps the benefits of both sales and recognition. I doubt they would be wiling to give that up too quickly.
  • ladyblueladyblue Posts: 326
    Your advice is very sound...I did test drive the Dodge twice. Didn't need to try the Ford since I already have one. The first Ram I drove must have had the tow package in it because it didn't have the "kick" I'm used to pulling onto the highway. I need faster acceleration, not hauling power. I tried one without the tow-pack and it was much quicker out of the gate. Dodge offers more options and features, and for a few dollars more I can have more creature comforts than with the Ford. I use my truck mostly for recreation and the occasional "move a friend". An SUV doesn't fit the bill and I've never been a van person. The Ram has all the controls within easy reach for me (I'm not very tall) whereas the Ford was still a stretch, even with power everything. Good luck with your new F150 - it's a great truck, and I've loved mine for the past two years. I just need to upgrade and the Ram turned out to be a better deal in my case. Thanks again.
  • Dodge Ram vs. F150....I too am looking at new trucks and find the F150 to be much inferior to the Dodge Ram. When comparing engines, the Dodge 360 has better acceleration and much less engine noise. In addition, the Dodge is much more comfortable in the cab, especially the seats. The F150 "cuts" the back of your legs after any extended period of riding. As far as the tow package, I don't believe it has any affect on acceleration, since the tow package deals with the add-ons, such as the receiver hitch and electrical, that are necessary to tow things. Good luck with your choice.
  • I just bought a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad cab 4x4. Pretty much got all options, but am extremely disappointed in the gas mileage. I have the 5.9 ltr gasoline engine and am only getting 8 miles per gallon in the city and am lucky to get 10 on the highway. The sticker boasts 12 city and 18 highway. I have already brought it back to have the dealer check it out but they say nothing is wrong. Is there anyone else with similar problems. Is there anything I can do legally.
    lewanda,

other than putting an egg under your right foot, there's nothing legal you can do. EPA mpg estimates are not "binding" figures, i.e., the vehicle does not have to achieve that. They are uniformly-tested numbers for comparison purposes to another vehicle.
  • I have a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 that I bought in August. It gets 15-16 which is what I expect. Around town I've been disappointed. I'm lucky when I get 10. I guess with DC traffic I shouldn't be too surprised.
    Sorry, maybe I used the wrong term. I was talking about the heavier towing capacity available. There are two or three levels (I don't remember exactly) for towing heavier loads. I could be mistaken, though. I still can't say the Dodge is a superior truck since this will be my first one, but I can say the my experience with the Dodge dealer was superior. They gave me exactly what I wanted and didn't "sweety" and "dearie" me to death. I did some research and they're giving me a fair price considering all the do-dads I'm having put in.

They also talked me out of taking the 15,000-mile-per-year lease and advised me to stick with the 12,000. Their reasoning: the higher mileage would add 3% to my lease payment, when it would be wiser to just put the extra cash in the bank every month. This way, at lease-end, I'd have the money to pay for any overage and if I didn't go over on the mileage, I'd have money in my pocket. The other way, I'd be paying for something I might not use and I can't get my money back for it. I may have found the first and only honest car dealers!
  • cdeancdean Posts: 1,110
    but what happens if you go over 12,000 miles? they usually nail you with a penalty if you do. Better know what the penalty is.
    ladyblue,

Mileage is often cheaper purchased up front on a lease. In some cases, it's the difference between 8 cents per mile up front and 15 to 20 cpm at the lease end. Unless you can get decent interest on the money you put away, up-front mileage can sometimes be cheaper. Also, some leases can be written so that if you don't use the mileage you paid for up-front, that money is refunded to you.
    Thanks for the advice. You gave me some good questions to ask the dealer. Always looking to learn something new! Every penny counts.
  • panmanpanman Posts: 25
    Would anyone happen to know if Dodge has come up with any ideas about the molded splash guards with the tubular side steps? I have a quad cab with chrome tubular side steps. I want to install molded splash guards behind the front wheels to help protect the chrome and my truck. The molded splash guards (which are the Dodge recommended) won't work because the side steps extend too far into the wheel well. Is there something that has been done about this rather than install the flat, rubber splash guards?
  • I have been trying to get an answer for quite some time about the dodge v-10 and 5spd combo? Can anyone here help me? I was wondering what the gas mileage would roughly be with that combo and a 3.54 rear end. no towing or heavy duty to be expected. Please answer if you can help.

Sean Wolff
  • I was driving on the BW Parkway yesterday when I saw a step side truck that had a RAM profile. I know the new GMs seem to have a somewhat RAM profile, so I sped up to see if I could get a better look. Unfortunately, the truck took the exit almost as I pulled along side. I did catch the words RAMSide on the door panel of the truck. Can anyone give me more information on this truck?
  • I'm with jaghunter. I have a Ram 1500 1996.I bought it off the lot with only ten miles on it. I have done all scheduled maintenence on time. I have only towed with it once and have not done any heavy hauling with it. Well, now it has 67,000 miles on it and the transmission went out. Now the brain chip to the transmission is out. I would like some advice. Are the computer chips warrantied longer?? Should I write Dodge and complain?? I'm just angry because I'm a Dodge man, but I'm loosing faith fast.
  • An add-on to my last post: The transmission place that is doing the work says it looks like the faulty brain chip was sending intermitent ground and power signals. They say it could be why the transmission went out. Anybody out their have this problem??
  • Is it feasible to lower the height of a RAM 4x4 without damaging it's 4x4 capability and not just letting out the air in the tires?
This discussion has been closed.