Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier - BMW 5 Series Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    gcmiamigcmiami Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. $30k out the door, including tax, license etc)? or pretax?
  • Options
    gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    I keep reading various posts about dealers telling buyers that the 5 series are "flying off the lots" and there's "very little inventory."

YET -- I saw two 530xi, 2007 CPO vehicles, both with Sports, one a dealer here in CT, and another a dealer in LI (about 40 miles)...........all I did was EMAIL the internet service manager that I saw the cars in the website, and so far, I've gotten THREE calls from the Long Island dealer ("just following up with your request, if there are any questions, please call me, etc etc"), and Three calls from the CT dealer (I looked at that car and it's nice). If they have so many buyers, why are they bothering with me?

My game is to not show I"m so anxious. Of course, having said that, I've lost two beautiful vehicles because I played chicken with the dealer too long. Go figure.
  • Options
    amit3amit3 Member Posts: 5
    What do you think about this price:

2006 CPO 525i mid 30k miles, and the asking price is $25,900.

What should I offer? The car is pretty basic, premium package.

Also how reliable are these cars and is the 525 underpowered?

Thanks.
  • Options
    ptchowptchow Member Posts: 14
    I do noticed that there are alot more 2006s vs 2007s. I think the main differences are the aux input and for NAVs, the later models come with real-time traffic information. Anything else?

I definitely don't think they are "flying off the lots". Just like you, I'm trying to be patient and to find the car with the right combination of options at the right price.
  • Options
    beemer7beemer7 Member Posts: 1
    Would like any feedback on this deal for a 2009 528 xi
    MSRP 54970
    Sale price 53445
    Cap 48213
    Residual 58%
    36 years/ 15k miles
    $660 / month with $5000 down
    They have the at delivery to be $7500 and then taking the $2500 off that.

Feedback or thoughts?
  • Options
    neuro0neuro0 Member Posts: 2
    Got a 528xi yesterday.
    Offered invoice + $500 over email.
    Dealer accepted immediately without hassle but have to take delivery before March end. (I now think I should just offered invoice price!)
    I certainly think I didn't get a bad deal!

2009 528xi black w/ black
    prem.
    cold.
    xenon light,
    nav,
    Ipod/usb

BTW, there were a lot of people at the dealer :surprise:
  • Options
    jagbuyerjagbuyer Member Posts: 4
    We are in the process of shopping for a a BMW 535i or a Jag XF SC. Does anyone out there have any buying experiences or tips for the BMW?

I am especially interested in actual sales prices for the 535i?
  • Options
    nibsnibs Member Posts: 65
    Man you guys are so lucky south of the border (I'm in Canada). Obviously we don't have the number of cars available that you do and we pay a premium for the CPO vehicles with many more miles on them and at much higher prices. We even pay a premium if we came down to buy and bring one back. That 530XI is a nice car and the mileage is very low imo. Wish I had the opportunity but I bought an 06 530XIT. Lots of warranty left so I'm happy.

Good luck.
  • Options
    jvl1jvl1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi - Can anyone tell me if a 2009 528xi offered for 48K with xenon lights, premium package, cold weather and Ipod is a good deal. I am in a 525i now and my lease is up soon. I am going to lease the 528xi over 36 months 10K miles, no money down. The MSRP I have been offered is 53,350 less 5,350 = 48K. Fees and first payment I have been offered are $1942 from Massachusetts. Monthly payment is $615. Any advice? Thanks
  • Options
    liililiili Member Posts: 7
    Can you post dealer's name?
  • Options
    bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    We are in the process of shopping for a a BMW 535i or a Jag XF SC. Does anyone out there have any buying experiences or tips for the BMW?

I am especially interested in actual sales prices for the 535i?

I did left you a post in the Jaguar xf forum, but you never replied.

Have you test driven the cars?
  • Options
    Some are saying the newly redesign 5 series will be available sometime this summer, and some are saying mid 2010.

Anyone know for sure?
  • Options
    jvl1jvl1 Member Posts: 2
    I have not driven the 535 I am interested in the 528xi. Sorry
  • Options
    jagbuyerjagbuyer Member Posts: 4
    I have test driven both cars and both performe exceptionally well. Great handling and acceleration from both. I am really torn between the two. Most of all I like the styling of the Jag and dont see as many of them on the road as the BMW.
  • Options
    art234art234 Member Posts: 99
    My understanding is that the 2010 5 series will be the same as the current one with the exception of the new Idrive interface with hard drive (like the 3 has now). The redesign will be called a 2011 model and show up some time in 2010.

This is from my dealer--and I am still debating whether to go BMW or Audi.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    e_thereale_thereal Member Posts: 17
    I have a deal for a brand new never titled 550i with an msrp of $65k for $44k. What do you think?
  • Options
    sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Does it have 6 speed and the Sport Package? That'd be my choice.
    I'd say, Buy it.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• Options
    My understanding is that the 2010 5 series will be the same as the current one with the exception of the new Idrive interface with hard drive (like the 3 has now). The redesign will be called a 2011 model and show up some time in 2010.

This is from my dealer--and I am still debating whether to go BMW or Audi.

Thats what my dealer has been telling me, that the new redesign 5 will be available sometime in 2010, but some say this year :confuse:

I see I am not the only 1 confused here, so you're thinking about going for the 5 seri or the Audi, which Audi? A6, I am torn apart between bmw and lexus :blush:
  • Options
    I have test driven both cars and both performe exceptionally well. Great handling and acceleration from both. I am really torn between the two. Most of all I like the styling of the Jag and dont see as many of them on the road as the BMW.

I've recently read in the XF buying experience forum about someone having problems in his new car only after 500miles, and it wasn't easy to find the parts.

What about the LS460? I know its bigger, but more space and comfortable.
  • Options
    BTW, what's the sales tax now up to in Canada? I can't imagine what it has to cost you for a vehicle up there. Good luck.
  • Options
    I have not made a decision yet, but oddly enough, my leaning right now is the A4 2.0T with prestige. I can lease this car within my budget, and if I chose the 535i X drive or the A6 I would have to purchase with a larger downpayment. I drove the A4 yesterday and while smaller it did perform adequately for my needs.

That said in any case (Audi or BMW) I have the ability to order a car as I would like it--2010 for summer delivery. My lease on the M35x is officially up in August, and I have a battle going on with them so I could return it at any time.

I am going back to Audi and BMW today to get ideas on pricing. Audi may not have but BMW does.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    You can save a lot of money on the Audi lease by dropping down to the Premium Plus or Premium level.. Better residuals on the lower trim lines..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thank you-I understand that but I do require the toys :shades:
  • Options
    x021627x021627 Member Posts: 152
    Great combo. I got the same car in platinum bronze and cream interior last year. Love it, love it, love it.

Congratulations...you'll love it... :)
  • Options
    ptchowptchow Member Posts: 14
    wow....is that the typical discount everyone is getting on new 5s? i was considering CPOs but with that discount....maybe new makes more sense.
  • Options
    mdx2008mdx2008 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if the 0.9 % financing will last through the end of May? The 2 months free car payment will last through the end of May.

Thank you
    MDX2008
  • Options
    Yes the 2 months free is on the BMW website.
  • Options
    bobdebobde Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys,

I am looking at a 2006 530 xi CPO with 16k miles. One Owner. It has cold weather package and premium package. Dealer first price is $35,700.

What are your thoughts? any feedback will be much appreciated.
  • Options
    victory101victory101 Member Posts: 4
    Is edmunds invoice for an ordered 2009 528i a completely unreasonable offer? My understanding is that they'll make 2% from MSRP of the car and incentives from the customer satisfaction survey.

I'm located in the Northeast.

thanks for the help...
  • Options
    kevin530kevin530 Member Posts: 25
    Hello Gardis,
    I have been following your posts here about finding a CPO in Connecticut and was wondering how you have made out?
    I found a 2006 530XI CPO in North Haven end of February with 45,000. Loving it.
  • Options
    kevin,
    glad to hear that. I looked at a few beautiful cars in January and February and lost my nerve when the market crashed. I've gotten back my guts and I'm actively looking still and hope something comes up. Glad to hear you love the vehicle, that makes me feel better. I'm very specific about what I'm looking for since I keep a car like 9 years. I've been to N. Haven. Huge dealer. Do you have any warranty left on that one? Should have about two years to go, the way I figure it.
    Great hearing from you, keep in touch,
    Gardis
    gardis72@gmail.com
  • Options
    outtolunchouttolunch Member Posts: 2
    2010's are on the lot in CA at SouthBay BMW but there not out to sale yet I guess. Only change is the Hard Drive on the CD. Body is the same.
  • Options
    11taylor11taylor Member Posts: 2
    Seeking opinions.... New Jersey dealer has 2008 535xi, 15,000 miles with 18 months of in service time leaving 30 months of full service and bumper to bumper. They want $ 42,000 to purchase with CPO or $41,000 without CPO is this a fair deal and is it worth the grand to certify a car with so much time left on original gaurentee
  • Options
    taylor,
    just for comparison, my dealer in CT had a 2008 535i, 27K miles, they started out asking $42,995, lowered it to $38,995, and the car was sitting on the lot for about 3 months, finally it sold, have no idea final price, but can guarantee you , it wasn't close to $38,995.
    For an extra $1,000, I would definitely do the CPO. Remember, they add 2 more years onto the warranty period. So you end up getting warranty coverage for 6 years from date of in service. Nothing to think about, as far as I'm concerned. Pricewise, that doesn't sound out of line, you could probably get it for upper $30's.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.
    Gardis
  • Options
    smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    For comparison also. We bought a 2007 CPO 550i ($70k list price when new) with 38k miles and only 2 years in service for $35k. I have a warranty until 2/2013 or 100k miles. LOVE the car. It is a good time to deal, play hard ball.

Yes, CPO is worth the price.
  • Options
    Re that 2007 CPO 550i, how is the gas mileage on a V8 engine? One dealer near me has one in Alpine, with Sport pkg, but I'm weary of such a large engine. I think with this administration in office, it could end up being very hazardous to our financial health.......what do you think? Has it been a good car?
  • Options
    Do you have any more info on this? When will the 2010's go up for sale? I am planning on buying a 2009 535 x this month before the 1.9 % and 2 month free end by the end of MAY. Does anyone have an opinion on the IPOD hook up. Do your song titles filter through to the stereo? And is sound quality good?
  • Options
    gscottnelson1gscottnelson1 Member Posts: 9
    I bought a BMW 528i with ipod in late 08. The ipod sounds great. In fact it sounds better than the satellite or radio that comes with it. By quite a margin.

I can be fully controlled by the idrive and works great!!

It won't be till the 2011 modal year that the 5 series will get a revised design....
  • Options
    kalacckalacc Member Posts: 4
    I am in the market for a 535i in Southern Ca Market. What was the best price anyone got and dealer that you received it from?

Thanks
  • Options
    blackjack300blackjack300 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, Newbee here...

I was offered a new 2009 535i for
    2500 total drive off for $585.
    5000 total drive off for $509
    Premium and Sport package with iPod, white exterior, black interior.
    36 mon lease, 12k miles/year.
    MSRP: 57,625.

Let me know what you guys think. Let me know soon as I have to go pick up the car tomorrow. I am located in Diamond Bar area. Thanks in advance!!!
  • Options
    joe_plummerjoe_plummer Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

Found this from a dealer in Boston. 2008 528Xi, 15000 miles, with premium/cold weather/navigation. The askig price was $41000, and I got down to 37000.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    Guys,
    I'm looking at a 2007 CPO 530xi, 25K miles premium, cold, cold NAV and SPORTS. Black Sapph, with Auburn Leather. What do you think about Auburn? It kind of looks pretty great with Black. They do a beautiful racing stripe (auburn and grey) that really looks sharp.

Anyone out there have Auburn, how do you like it?
  • Options
    overeatovereat Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I got a quote for buying a new 2009 535xi with MSRP 59670, and dealer offer at 55,085 which they claimed to be 200 off the suggested invoice price. Their SUGGESTED invoice price acutally added MACO 200 & Training/Service Fee 180. So it's actually 180 above the REAL invoice price. What price should I offer back for this? Is 54500 a good price to ask? Thanks...
  • Options
    Guys,
    They just told me about another vehicle, a CPO 530XI, 2007, black sapph, with black leather, Premium, COld and SPORTS. The manager told me that the Sports pkg is just "cosmetic" on the XI models. Yet, quite a few XI have sports pkg. It comes with that black shadowline trim, special steering wheel and seats.

Yet the 530i comes with sport wheel rims. Is there any difference in performance? What do you guys prefer to drive, the plain 530i, or the 530XI.

Any help you can render me I'm appreciative. I'm kind of excited about the car, only has 23, 300 miles on it which is nothing for a BMW.
  • Options
    joe_plummerjoe_plummer Member Posts: 5
    which state you from? I'm in NY metro, and the best I got so far was at the real invoice.
  • Options
    anthony1974anthony1974 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone. I'm in the market for a new car, test drove several vehicles, and the bottom line is that nothing compares to a BMW. I've pretty much got my eye on a 2006 528I. I just want to know what's a good price to target. It's a CPO that went into service 4/2006. It's got 35,000 miles on it in the lovely state of Illinois. Here's the options included with the car:
    Cold Weather Package
    Floor Mats
    Premium Sound Package
    Moonroof
    Fold Down Rear Seats
    Adaptive Light Control
    Radio BMW Professional
    DVD Area Coding
    Battery Switch
    First Aid Kit
    Preminum Package
    CO2 relevant vheicles
    Dark Poplar Wood Trim
    Power front seats
    Xenon headlights
    BMW Assist w/Bluethooth System
    Sat Radio prep
    CO2 control
    Transport Protection

I believe the asking price is $27,900. I'm looking for a good price range I should shoot for, and I definitely want to get the extended maintenance package (with an MRSP of $1695). I would appreciate any advice you experts can provide.

Thanks
  • Options
    overeatovereat Member Posts: 7
    I am from MD. I thought some people are saying 200 below invoice, so I just want to know what's the price I should offer back to the dealer.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to hear from current car-shoppers by 5pm Pacific on May 18, 2009. Please send to jfallon@edmunds.com your daytime contact info and a few sentences about the impressions of the marketplace in relation to the dramatic news surrounding the auto industry.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    kevin530kevin530 Member Posts: 25
    Hello Gardis, looks like you are narrowing down the search. Is Auburn a tan color or is it the reddish brown which goes kind of orange in photos?
    I am leaning toward the black on black for you, but that's just me. I wish I could own a black car but just can't bring myself to that color again in the Northeast with something always falling from the sky.
  • Options
    Hi Kev
    I like the sound of the black on black also, I've seen that combo before and It's very classy looking. The Auburn is the bright reddish brown, which is OK, but they use a gray carpet and black vinyl seat backs, which just make it look awful inside, IMHO.
    That is what I object to.