Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Did they flatbed it?

Towing it probably wouldn't help you much.

-mike
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    paisan - Is the TOD system more likely to have problem like this? It seems like the only maintenance for TOD is changing transfer case fluid at 30K miles.

brooklyn1951 - Hope you can give us an update. Again, the service was very impressive.
    I don't think it's anymore likely to have the problem than say a PT 4wd system. The 4-LO->4TOD is essentially the same mechanism that does 4-lo->4-hi on a PT system.

-mike
    Will see what they have to say about brooklyn1951's Sorento.
  • brooklyn1951brooklyn1951 Member Posts: 71
    paisan- Yes they did flat bed it. I read my owner's manual! Towing with a locked-up transfer case and 2 wheels on the ground would not be good for it.
  • surfmastersurfmaster Member Posts: 11
    My wife had our EX (black w/grey cladding)parked and someone swiped the front drivers side bumper below light with their bumper, I assume when turning in to spot. Typical winter parking lot scrape. They didn't stick around, of course..

Except, the grey "cladding" in an area of about 6 sq inches or so has "rubbed off" to reveal the black coloured bumper underneath. My question, I read here or heard somewhere that the cladding and bumbers were "solid color" plastic, i.e. if in a minor scrape such as this they wouldn't show as bad, as the scrape would all be the same (grey)colour. Anyone else believe this?? The scrape stands out like a sore thumb, the cladding is thicker than paint but barely, kind of like a "skin" over the black bumber underneath. I will ask dealer later in week, but I'm not overly impressed with this thin cladding rubbing off so easily, esp. with black showing through every time it happens over life of vehicle. I wonder now if the side claddings are the same?
  • brooklyn1951brooklyn1951 Member Posts: 71
    I got my Sorento back from the dealer yesterday. They have been unable to make the transfer case lock-up problem reappear. At this point their advice is to drive it and hope it surfaces again so they can fix it. They don't want to shotgun parts at it nor do they want to "open it up" without a clearly indicated fault. I totally agree with this philosophy. They also said not to worry about "consequential damages" such as broken CV joints, axles or even worn tires- Kia will cover it. Although I am not ecstatic that this problem developed, I am totally reassured by Kia's warranty and the great service at the local Kia dealer. (Where, by the way, I did not buy me Sorento.)
    I'll keep everyone up to date on this problem.
  • hpygolukyhpygoluky Member Posts: 4
    Only in North America would the average fuel consumption of a small bus be acceptable. I have test driven the Kia Sorento and thought it had great potential. With fuel prices rising you would think people would catch on to diesels, which are available in the Sorento in Europe. The vehicle in Europe gets @ 1/3rd better fuel economy and has much better performance in the area of torque. I make a good buck, but I'm not going to invest in a vehicle that gets less than 30miles per gallon ( Imp.)
    Haaaa Good luck in finding that in an SUV body in the NA continent.

-mike
    Maybe it is impossible for you and anyone to find any SUVs (with similar size, passengers capacity, price, warranty coverage) with 30 mpg. Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V (both compact SUVs) or even most compact cars may give you twenty some miles per gallon. I do see what most people are concerned.
    I love diesels. If only they'd bring em over here I'd have one in a heartbeat.

-mike
  • ivygrnsorentoivygrnsorento Member Posts: 119
    I agree with what is being discussed here about the diesel engines. I just don't understand why car manufacturers are reluctant to sell the diesel engine option here. With the way gas prices are going up...I'm guessing you will see a increasing outcry for diesel engines.

I wonder though...is the reason we don't see more diesels here in the US is because of our tight restrictions on vehicle emissions....and the cost to manufacturers like Kia to meet those restrictions? I'm guessing it is...anyone have any thoughts on that?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a pretty good summary of the pro and con arguments in the archived "Time to try Consumer Diesel again?" discussion.

Steve, Host
    ivygrnsorento - Not too many. Only VW has diesel and 2002 Benz E-Class, as far as I know for non-commericals vehicles currently sold in US. Outside US (Europe and Asia), almost every makes and models offer diesel as an option. The diesel gas price is something higher than regular unleaded. But they have a good gas mileage. A VW New Beetle (gas engine, manual) runs 24/31 mpg. A diesel manual one runs 42/49 mpg. Both models are with the same 14.5 gallon gas tank. the Any idea what is the gas mileage for Sorento diesel?
  • StevePIIIStevePIII Member Posts: 55
    I usually follow the philosophy that every one is entitled to an opinion and should be able to voice it. I have kept quiet so far and now I am going to voice mine. Aside from the Diesel posts, I HAVE HAD IT WITH PEOPLE WHINING AND COMPLAINING ABOUT THE SORENTO'S MPG! I notice the only people complaining about it are those who dont own a Sorento! It's great that people who dont currently own a Sorento have something to share and add on this forum but if you just have to log in to complain and throw in their peanuts about how the Sorento's gas mileage is not good enough for them -- BY ALL MEANS, DON'T BUY THE SORENTO AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!
    There, I have said my piece, I hope I did not offend anyone, but that has been building up for about a week.

P.S. I am buying a Sorento this week
    StevePlll - Come back and tell us more about your Sorento... ownership experience, dealer & service experience, etc.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congrats on the new Sorento - but please don't invite Towh Hall members to go elsewhere! Thanks.

tidester, host
  • ivygrnsorentoivygrnsorento Member Posts: 119
    Congrats on your purchase! Can't wait to hear about your experiences of ownership.

And your MPG comment....THANK YOU!

I was looking at a Nissan Xterra a year ago...and went often to the forums...and was always amazed when those that purchased the vehicle...or others that were interested in it...complained about the cruddy mileage. These people are buying their SUVs for the wrong reasons!

There are a lot of poser's in this world...and I would say 90% of those that purchase an SUV are just that...a POSER.

If you want good mileage...buy a car. If you want the space to carry 7 kids and get decent mileage...drive a minivan. If you feel like a looser because your considering a minivan but don't want that stigma following you...buy a SUV and keep your mouth shut about the MPG!

Am I right here??

Good day all....and happy Sorentoring...or whatever...lol
  • lilac0422lilac0422 Member Posts: 51
    I am having a weird thing happen. Not sure if I would even call it a problem. My Sorento EX TOD with 500 miles on it seems to take a really long time to start. I turn the key and it takes about seven to eight seconds to turn over. I had a 91 Lumina before and it seemed to start just about as well. I am not sure if it is just because of the cold weather (I live in western Michigan). It seems to be particularly bad when it has been sitting longer. However, it almost always takes at least 3 seconds to start. It doesn't seems like a long time until you actually count it out then it just seems abnormally long. I would appreciate any ideas or input. Thanks so much
    lilac, my money is on your fuel riser pressure switch. Should be a quick/easy fix at the dealer. To test this theory, do this, turn the key to the "on" position for 10 seconds before turning the key. If it turns over right away it's definitely the fuel pressure riser switch.

-mike
  • ltaft08ltaft08 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else noticed that when you turn the vents to off (zero), enough air comes out that it feels as if it is still on? Most vehicles let a little air slip through, but mine feels as if I have it on the first setting. The only way to make it stop is to push in on the re-circulate button. Thanks!!!

I've only had my Sorento for about 2 weeks, so I don't know if this is common or something I should have looked at. Other than that, I love my new vehicle!!!
    lilac0422 - No problem with starting even in one cold morning here... just 1 degree. Sorry to hear this and the locked wheel.
    Itaft08 - Nothing wrong. Only the RE-CIRCULATE button. In circulate mode, you still feel the air (cool or warm) even the fan is off. Don't know why. I think that what's circulate mean. Same thing with my Honda. I assume the same on any cars.
    lok888... Thank you for replying to my question. I'm sure it is normal, but I dont think I have ever had a vehicle that still put out so much air when it was turned off. Also, I never had to use my re-circulate button in any of my other cars in order to stop the heavy air flow. I just tried it in my Sorento to see if as much air was coming out in that setting. My discovery was that it wasnt! However, I dont think I should have to push that in, in order to turn the air vent off. That is why it has a zero. Oh well, if that is the worst problem I find, then who can complain?!! Thanks again Lisa
    In circulate mode with the fan off, the air (cool or warm) seems to increase depend on the speed of the vehicle... air flow.

Itaf08 - Do you feel that the temparture. is too warm at 63F setting when driving too long? And when you low the temp. to 62F, it suddenly turns cool. And you feel cool when the fan is off. Even in circulate mode. I have to low the window or open the sunroof a bit.
    I totally agree. I noticed that the first day I got my car. I kept telling my husband to stop making it blow on my face and he said it shouldn't be, I have it directed at the floor. I read my owners manual and it says that air always comes out of the two upper vents closest to the door. I am glad it is normal to this car but I thought it was weird. I just end up closing the vent down so it doesn't blow at me.

paisan thanks for the info, I am going to try that. Is the fuel riser pressure switch difficult to fix? I don't want to give up my car to the dealer for very long. Thanks
    Nah, it's a quick fix at a dealer, no more than 1 day in the shop (should take about 1 hr to do). A little further explaination is that the fuel pressure riser keeps fuel pressure in the fuel line up to the fuel injectors, this prevents it from draining back into the tank. If this is bad, then fuel will drop back into the tank. The reason it takes longer to start is that when you put the key in the "on" position it turns on the fuel pump in the tank and re-pressurizes the fuel line. If you turn it on and start it right away there isn't enough time to repressurize the line so you have to keep cranking it. If you leave it in the "on" position for 10 seconds the pump re-pressurizes the line and it should crank right over.

-mike
    Will the ENGINE light come on when this is happened?
    No CEL will come on because it isn't harmful to the car, just a PITA when starting.

-mike
    paisan - In her case, is she need to replace the fuel pump? This is new to me and unusual for new car. As I remember on my Accord, I replaced the whole unit because there is only one part.
    lok888- The problem isnt that I cant find the right temp, but that it feels like it is constantly on. I never really noticed it until the other day when my husband was driving it. I was sitting in the passenger seat and I felt a heavy flow of cold air coming from the right corner. It must be seeping in from the engine area. Anyway, I was freezing b/c of this. My husband had the heat on our feet and off. He said his feet were on fire even though it was off. Even on the passenger side, I moved my legs to the far left b/c a significant amount of heat was coming from the vent. I ended up having to put a coat over my feet so I didnt feel the cold are seeping in and he could turn the already "off" vent to defrost to get the heat off of him. It was just an uncomfortable situation. But, I told him he couldnt drive my SUV anymore because I didnt want to sit on the passenger side with all that cold air coming in from the outside! haha

Lilac0422- Thank you for telling me I'm not crazy! Somedays I feel like maybe I am looking for something wrong with it, because it seems to good to be true! I just LOVE my SORENTO!!

Thanks guys!! --Lisa
    It's not in the fuel pump, it's up under the hood near the fuel rails. Common problem on some newer cars.

-mike
    ltaft08 - I was just saying that when I set the cabin temp. at 63 degree after driving too long, I feel extreme warm. No matter what air flow setting I have (Face, Floor or Defrost). I have to low the window a bit or turn off the fan a while. When I set it at 62 degree, I feel cool.
    Then I have to raise the temp. again. Sounds like I am complaining. But it works just that in my car. Maybe the same in yours.

Also, once I press the automatic climate control button (AUTO), the fan speed will increase (about 2 or 3). And the air flow setting will automatic change from whatever you have to the FLOOR only. I don't why.
    lok888- I see what you're saying! I guess I'll have to try different things, until I can find something that works for me. Well, thank you for all your help!
    No problem. It's fun to learn. Isn't it?
    I must agree that somedays it is! Have a nice day!
    your idea didn't seem to make a difference. I only tried it once but it seemed to be just as bad. today (after sitting for 15 hours or so) it was so hard to start. I wasn't sure it was going to turn over at all. any more ideas? I am pretty upset about this because the whole reason that I got a new car was so that I wouldn't have to deal with a car that was in the shop. My dealer is too far away. Thanks
    Could be a bad battery, depending on how long it sat. I've heard of that happening as well. I'd have the dealer check it out.

-mike
    thanks for your help. I will get it to the dealer one of these days. As long as it continues to start than I will put it off. I keep trying your ten second idea and this morning it seemed to really work. It started up pretty quickly. I appreciate your input thanks again
    Sounds like the fuel pressure riser then.

-mike
  • sandmannsandmann Member Posts: 4
    All Sorentos in Germany have currently the 2.5 liter Common-Rail-Injection diesel engine.
    The average MPG is approx. 20-22 for the City and 24-26 for Highways.
    A lot of people that have no experience with diesel engines from previous cars tend to have a lower MPG in the beginning. The reason is, that you have to drive a Diesel engine in a different style (peak torque is @ 2000 rpm). At least 50% of all European Sorentos have manual gear shift and the drivers tend to shift gears much to late.
    According to the latest number from the ADAC (=german AAA) 30% of all new cars in Germany have Diesel engines. Th main reason is the better fuel efficiency and the lower operating costs. The current price for regular gas in Germany is USD 4.83 per gallon; for Diesel USD 4,05 per Gallon!!!!!!!

-eric
    Sounds like we are better off here... USD$1.69 per gallon for regular unleaded. In Hong Kong, it is about USD$1.42 per liter, about USD$5.38 gallon. So there is no complain about the low mpg here. sandmann - BTW, how much do the average worker makes in your country.
  • luvmysorentoluvmysorento Member Posts: 38
    Is anybody having problems with chips in their windshields? I got the first chip in my windshield the day after I bought it. A cinder was thrown by an 18 wheeler and it left a dime sized bullseye in the middle of my windshield. Today I was going to lunch after church and a car threw a rock and left a second chip in my windshield! My last car was almost 8 years old and didn't have a single chip. I've had my Sorento for 3 months and already have TWO. Does this sound like a defective windshield or just really bad luck? I am taking my complaints to the dealer on Wednesday.

Other than a chipped up windshield, my Sorento is absolutely great and runs like a dream! It has performed great on our West Virginia hills this past winter (and boy has it been a tough one!).

~Karen~
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Putting some scotch type tape over the chips immediately to keep any moisture out. Often the chips can be fixed without having to replace the windshield and many insurance companies will pay for a chip fix without charge to you. Ask your insurance agent....

Steve, Host
    Most new SUVs get chipped easily. It's a result of softer glass required for safety combined with the upright nature of the glass v. sloped on a car.

-mike
  • hollier1hollier1 Member Posts: 22
    Has anyone experienced a tapping type noise from their engine? Got my Sorento today and noticed it tonight. It's kind of like the sound a valve makes that needs to be adjusted. Only it sounds thud like. It is consistent with RPM's. Speed up the engine and the sound speeds up. I appreciate any feedback.
    hollier - None. But can you tell us more the driving condition? Is the noise constantly?
  • hollier1hollier1 Member Posts: 22
    I started my wifes Sorento this morning. No tapping. I drove it to the dealership and spoke to the service manager. He told me it was probably a fuel injector. He knew of other Kias doing this. He said it should stop and had technicians give it a once over. As of this afternoon no tap. I'll keep you posted.
  • StevePIIIStevePIII Member Posts: 55
    Well, I have had my Sorento for a couple of days now and I noticed a couple of things.....

1. When it is first put into gear after I start it I hear a groaning sound from under the hood. Only lasts about one second. Although I just realized as I am writing this that maybe it is from the abs, because I do think I feel a slight pulsating on the brake. Perhaps I do not give it enough time to finish the ABS test before I drive off.
      2. Second gear is LLLLLLLLLOOOONNNNNNGGGGGGGG,
    It usually goes from 10 to 40 MPH in 2nd gear alone -- and third goes from 40 to 45MPH -- real short. I really dont mind that second gear lasts that long, i just get anxious after 35MPH. Besides it keeps the accelerating quick. Perhaps this is a factor in the gas mileage as well.

Oh, and one other thing, on Kia's website it says the EX has 10 speakers with amplifier. Has anyone actually counted 10 speakers??? I have counded only 6 !?!?

Not griping -- love the car, just sharing thoughts.
    StevePlll - The amplifier is underneath the driver's seat. Ok! 10 speakers... 2 tweeters in the front plus 2 speakers inside each door (4 doors = 8 speakers).

I don't know about the groaning sound. Properly happens when you are shifting into gear. Noise should not be like the Honda vehicles that much.