Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sorento Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Why do you insist on asking questions that you know are TOTALLY irrelivent to these discussions? It's quite annoying to those of us trying to have a mature discussion.

:(

-mike
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    Please elaborate.

Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    THAT is the topic - any further digression will activate my delete button!

tidester, host
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    FYI - Kia recommends 30 psi (cold) for the tires on Sorento. Found it on the side of the driver's door. 30 psi? Is it the same for most compact cars? Is the vibration cause by over inflated tires?
    Most likely the vibrations are from over inflated tires. When companies ship vehicles they over-inflate the tires so that if they sit on a dealer lot for several months + shipping time, the tires don't get out of round. 90% of dealers will forget to check the tire-pressures before delivery and you'll get em with 40psi + in them.

30psi is about right. I think my trooper takes 32 front and 37 rear as standard tire pressures. The infamous Exploders had 26psi reccommended for them.

-mike
  • nautikernautiker Member Posts: 32
    Went for a 30min testdrive in a 03 Sorento this morning --EX w/ 4wd--non-lux pkg-was raining/abt 37deg f. Overall impressions: Styling is great/materials and workmanship is great( as far as I could see)--value for $ seems excellent. I wasn't too pleased w/ the powertrain and engine, though. The engine seems noisy and unrefined past 3k rpm and much of the power seems to be lost in the transmission. I'm used to driving sewing machine-like honda 4cyl's--this may be why. Overall suspension set-up seemed very comfortable but this veh dives hard under hard-braking (non-abs model tested). Overall, seems like a good value compared to other suv's on the market. Still not confident about the engine noise/whine @ 3k rpm, though. Will have to test drive a Hyundai Sante Fe 6cyl and see if it just the design.
    Problem? It has been a while to see a new post on Sorento Problem. I thought something big (like wipers not working, broken power door switch, etc) was happened. I am not sure about the engine noise and lost power. That's properly they use a 192hp V6 engine to pull this 4000 lbs. vehicle. The same engine on a mid-size sedan should be no problem. Anyway, I didn't notice any engine noise at about 3000 rpm (about 50 to 60 mph).
  • scblcbscblcb Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased EX with Luxury, ABS, Spoiler & Package Tray ... best value for your $$'s. Purchas price was $23,074 plus tax & license. VIBRATION ... definetly check tire pressure. My tires were at 48 psi (cold) ... lowered to 32psi much better ride.
    It's a very good price. How can they do it? The invoice for EX 4WD with no option is $22300. The dealer added $500 as a holdback. And the luxury (with T.O.D.?), ABS, spoiler and cargo tray cost additional $2.5K.
  • jmpats2000jmpats2000 Member Posts: 14
    an EX with Luxury and ABS, Spoiler..

The Dealer wouldn't sell it for 2000 less invoice.

Most dealers don't even want to sell it for 500 over invoice. I had to haggle for 2 months to find my price of 25,500. 13 of 15 dealers in MA said they couldn't sell a Silver EX with ABS for 25,500. The lowest price was 26,200. Most wanted to sell it for MSRP because of the short supply.

Anyway, if you really got it for that price, you traded something in and got lowballed on your trade.
    I agree with jmpats2000. BTW, are you also from MA? I bought mine at Quirk Kia. Everybody said they got a good deal from them. How much did you pay for yours? And where? I paid mine for $26100 (fully loaded EX 4WD) of $27720 MSRP. They can sell the EX with on option to me for $23600. But I wanted everything except tow hitch. The supply is very low. I mean you can find more EX 2WD or some color you don't like. My salesman told they will increase the price up to 3%. But most posters said 1.8%. They smell gold now.
  • sorentocrazy2sorentocrazy2 Member Posts: 3
    to scblcb Where did you buy your ex with all those extras for 23,074 ? Does it have 4wd? The best any dealer has offered was 25,200 on a sticker of 27,125!
  • fmunoz1069fmunoz1069 Member Posts: 35
    well the other day I was driving my Sorento EX, and it felt like it was going to stall, When I gave it gas the check engine light came on and it hesitated slightly then cleared up and has not done it since. Then the next day, the overhead compass began to flash and stopped working. After pushing the mode button it continued to do it so I ignored it and eventually it stopped flashing and began working again. Then last night my headlights turned on and only one headlight came on, then after a few seconds the other one came on. This one I do not blame on the electronics, because I have bright white bulbs (which look great) but maybe one is about to fail. I'll keep everyone posted if I continue with any problems.. Still love this truck...
    fmunoz1069 - Please keep post about this. Do you think this cause by the bright light bulbs? Because I want to install one of those. I bought one of those on ebay (I only trust the PIAA) for my other car and got no problem with the electric system. However, they didn't last long compare to the Philips and Sylvania. In fact, the last set of bright white bulbs last for 2 months and it melted the headlamp connector. But it still post no fire hazard or any electrical problem.
    I found them to be no where near as good as the Slyvania and Hella bulbs I've purchased. And much more expensive.

-mike
    PIAA recently came out with the Xtreme White light bulb for H4, 168, 9006, etc. I tried the super white and wasn't white & bright enough like those H.I.D. Anyway, I hope this is not reason cause fmunoz1069 his Sorento to stall.
    I just found that for $75 to get stock wattage is a bit pricey. I doubt the PIAAs caused the car to stall since they don't draw any extra power.

-mike
    fmunoz1069 or other Sorento owners - Do you know the specs of the light bulbs (low beam, high beam, fog lights, turn signal lights, etc) on Sorento? The owner's manual only showed the wattage information but not any the specs like 9006 or H4. Thanks folks!
    Not sure if it belongs here, but I can't seem to fit into the Sorento that well.

My head hits and the seat doesn't quite go all the way back. This is with sunroof and electric leather seats.

This is while sitting in dealer lot. I can only imagine hitting my head while the truck is moving on road, or SLAMMING my head when off road!!!

Anyone else have problems with headroom?

Maybe another seat/trim package is better? Maybe a bench seat? I'd guess without sunroof has a little more headroom. Anyone know for sure?
    Off to the inlaws for festivities!

God Jul to everyone!
  • brooklyn1951brooklyn1951 Member Posts: 71
    I am 6'3" and have a Sorento EX model. No doubt about it, headroom is tight and hatroom is nonexistent. The LX has better headroom by an 1 1/2 inches. If I drop the seat cushion all the way down and recline the seatback, headroom is acceptable. Most of my height is in my torso (35" pants length) so legroom is not a problem for me. I would certainly not gotten a sunroof if that was an option- but my 5'10" wife finds the headroom fine. And she will drive the Sorento about 70% of the time.
    I am of similar dimensions to you from your description, less maybe 2 inches.

I brush the roof with it in the parking lot, and can only imagine hitting my head on road bumps and smashing my head off road. I didn't try one without sunroof yet.

Is leather available without sunroof, or is it a package? I wish it had a front bench to seat 3 across.
    Maybe you need to use the power seat to put it down? Or change your driving position?

-mike
    The power seat was all the way down.

I could (and tried it) to lean the seat back, but it would be too far for driving comfortably. Good for watching football, but not for driving.

Wicked bummer!
    No SUVs come with a bench seat. The only one available IIRC are Expeditions in 4x2 in the base model.

-mike
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I am 6'7" tall and I fit in the LX model without the sunroof but when I tried to sit in the EX with a sunroof my head was pressed against the sunroof liner. I have yet to find a vehicle with a sunroof that I can fit into. I think the Sorento is a good looking SUV and has a lot of features that I like but I would never be able to get one with a sunroof. Just my $.02
    Just wondering which vehicle (with sunroof) that you can fit into? I guess it's hard to any mid-size SUV just right for you.
    The only SUV that I came close in was the Mitsubishi Montero. My head wasn't touching the sunroof headliner but it was only about 1/4" away.

I do fit in a VW Passat with a sunroof . . . but just barely. Because most sunroofs take out between 1 and 2 inches of headroom in a vehicle I have accepted that I will never own a vehicle with a sunroof. (And contrary to the myth, you can not open the sunroof and drive with your head sticking out. There is too much roof still intact directly above the drivers head so it is not a straight shot out the roof. Besides, any abrupt lane change and your head will whack the side sill of the sunroof opening.)

Just my $.02
    bigguy - If you still interested in Sorento, LX seems to be the only one choice. It comes with the 8-way manual adjustable driver's side. The EX (with or without the luxury package) comes with the standard 8-way power adjustable driver's side and sunroof. And you have already tried the EX and didn't fit. I would add the alloy wheels ($450) on LX.
    I am not currently in the market to purchase a new vehicle for myself but I am researching vehicles for my in-laws. They would like to get an SUV and the Kia has a lot of the features they are looking for. My father-in-law is 6'-8" tall so I know that if I don't fit, then neither will he. Unfortunately, they have stated that they must have leather upholstery and you can only get the leather seating in conjunction with the sunroof . . . or am I mistaken? Can you get an EX w/ luxury package without the sunroof?
  • schip1schip1 Member Posts: 97
    ...you're not mistaken and no, you can't get an EX with luxury without the sunroof. As lok888 mentioned, you need to order the LX if you don't want the sunroof. But the darn thing is, once you go the LX route, neither the leather package nor the luxury package (which includes leather) is available. In other words, once you go with the EX, you have to have the sunroof. But if you go with the LX, then leather is not an option :( More info at www.kia.com.
  • eastbayereastbayer Member Posts: 4
    Both my passengers and I detected a "brakes" smell when departing after a 15 minute drive. I hadn't noticed this before, and the emergency was fully disengaged. The car is about 10 days/60 miles old. Anyone else had this "problem"; or might it just be that the brakes are still breaking in? (pun only half intended)
  • mdsorentomdsorento Member Posts: 22
    I also noticed that Smell, (like hot metal) for a couple of weeks, some times I wondered if it was something else, but I think it takes a few hundred miles to brake in the brakes. 5 weeks (1900 miles ) later no smells, no problems. I'm still wishing for another sorento....
  • hollier1hollier1 Member Posts: 22
    The lease on my wife's Expedition is up in March, 03. We are strongly considering an EX 2WD with the Luxury pkg. I have seen posts on vibrations at various speeds. Are these vibrations noticed immediately after purchase, say in the first 100 or less miles. Or later, after several thousand miles. I would appreciate any feedback on the Sorento problems or praise.
    Could be brakes breaking in or undercoating burning off. I know my last 2 new cars had horrible smells for the first 5k miles, especially ones shipped from overseas.

-mike
  • wandam1wandam1 Member Posts: 13
    Please reply with how did you purchase the ex with abs, luxury, spoiler and pkge tray for 23,074. This is the 4x4. What dealer and salesman did you use. I would purchase one at that price.
    hollier1 - Like many posters mentioned this before, the vibration properly caused by the over inflated tires. The factory recommended tire pressure for Sorento is 30 psi cold. Many posters learned their tire were as high as 48 psi. Once they lowed the pressure, the vibration was gone. Some posters mentioned the over inflated tires because of the oversea shipments. Some dealers may not check that before deliver the car to the customers. Anyway, I do not have any vibration problem. It rides very smooth at any speed. And it is quite inside the cabin. Idling is about 45 db. But I admit sometime I feel bumps on the uneven road surface. I guess this is because the truck-based design.
    mdsorento - I don't notice any smell. I am not sure And I do smell that when the radiator fan is on to exhale the engine heat. I think this is normal for any new cars.
  • mwitt58714mwitt58714 Member Posts: 44
    when comming to a complete stop at a traffic light and then releasing the brakes ,i seem to notice the rear brakes making/feeling a thud? like disengaging... has anyone noticed anything like this...and also what about the RPM'S at that level i hope someone understands what im trying to say any help...appreciate it

ps# happy new year to all!!!
  • jeyonejeyone Member Posts: 4
    Happy New Year Everyone!

I've had my Sorento for two week s now and have realized an annoying rattling coming from the rear seat by the release button on the passenger right side. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what did they do...Thanks
    In your post #73 you asked for the specs on the Sorento's headlights, Fog lights, and indicators blubs. Did you or anyone else get the specifications for these light bulbs yet? I am also looking to replace the headlight and fog lights with super whites or super Xenon replacement bulbs
  • schip1schip1 Member Posts: 97
    #88: eastbayer - no smells here from the brakes or anything else. Only 60 miles after 10 days?!?! Wow...afraid to take her out in the rain, eh? LOL Glad to hear you got a good deal at Cornell KIA. What color did you get? I'll look for you when driving around in Oakland!

#90: lok888 and I are lucky. No vibrations here either, none whatsoever! We have EX with luxury and auto load leveling. You may wish to hop on over to main Sorento forum and read about pros & cons.

#92: It would be surprising to hear from scblcb again. Several people asked him when he made his original post and he never answered. Seems like #61 is his first and only post on Edmunds. His price sounds too good to be true. So maybe he made a mistake or...?

#94: no noise from brakes and no hesitation at 2,000-3,000 RPM or any other RPMs. Only thing even remotely close to 'hesitation' is unexpected downshift when accelerating in city traffic. Too lazy to disengage over-drive, I guess.

#95: I had a soft rattling sound from the luggage area. It wasn't annoying...just something noticeable. I finally traced it to the cargo cover not seated correctly. The cargo cover tabs come protected with thick, clear plastic wraps. After I removed the wraps and properly seated the tabs, no more rattling :)

#96: before you spend $$'s on these lights, you may wish to read comments and opinions on the "Aftermarket headlights/ bulbs (halogen, xenon, etc.)" forum, part of the "Aftermarket & Accessories" message board. IMHO, stock Sorento fog lights hardly make any difference, barely noticeable. On the other hand, stock low-beams are plenty bright enough for me, but still would be interested in your experience....if you decide to install them.
    mwitt58714 - What kind of road and driving condition you have when you notice the rear brakes are making a thud? I didn't notice anything like you mentioned. But I will pay attention to this. You know something... maybe this is happened on my Accord with 4 wheel disc brakes when the disc rotors are wet, like after a car wash. In this case, I do hear something when releasing the brakes. What do you want to ask about the RPM? Is it a hesitation about the acceleration at 2 to 3K RPM?
    jeyone - What exactly the button that you are talking about? Also, I am still looking the headlight specs from the Kia techs and the sylvania web site. I can't believe the Kia don't put this on the manual. Maybe we can able to tell by remove the bulbs. Like schip1 said, I wouldn't bother the fog lights.
  • mwitt58714mwitt58714 Member Posts: 44
    hesitation at 2 to 3000rpm feels like it is kicking into gear should this do it ? and the brakes normal roads dry but,it has rained the last few days here in jersey perhaps they need (brakes) need to dry?
  • mdsorentomdsorento Member Posts: 22
    I have felt the brake, not all the times, sometimes if I brake and keep the pedal down until after the stop, when releasing the brake a noise/feeling like " something is engaging".
    I think that may be what the manual explains on page 4-39 under ABS system:
    "when you apply your brakes under conditions which may lock the wheels, you may hear a "tik-tik" sound from the brakes, or feel a corresponding sensation in the the brake pedal. this is normal and it means your ABS system is active."
    Since this sound/feel is when at a stop it may assume the wheels were locked and release it..
    The release button i am referring to is the button that allows you to lay the back of the rear seat down. When i leave the seat flat (making more cargo room) i don't hear this rattling noise. But as soon as i return the seat to the normal seat position, i hear the noise when driving over bumps.
  • fmunoz1069fmunoz1069 Member Posts: 35
    #101 I am having the same problem with the right rear seat section rattling. It I release it then slam it shut a few times it stop rattling for a few minutes. The noise is so annoying it sounds like a busted shock in the rear. I will be taking it back to the dealer for this problem.

#94 I also hear the brakes make a thud sound when I come to a stop and release the brakes. It seems to happen more often when the brakes get hot. It feels like the brakes are sticking. since it only does it once in a while I am really not to concerned. But I will keep an eye on it.

#90 I would recommend the Sorento. Although people are posting messages with some problems, It is really not a bad vehicle. Every car out there has some issues. I own an 02 Toyota Sienna that has some rear brake and front suspension issues, and this is a TOYOTA, you know it's not supposed to break?? LOL.. Anyway I don't think you would be disappointed if you went for a Sorento. The warranty kicks butt and KIA is trying hard to satisfy people. Good luck!!
    jeyone - I also experience the noise from the cargo area. But not when the rear seats are down or up. It is because the cargo cover. When the cargo cover is in use, I hear the noise when driving over the bumps. It is a kind of lose. When the cargo cover is not in use, I hear no noise because there is a hook to hold the cargo cover when it's retracted. But I will pay attention to the noise when the seats are down.
  • artiejoeartiejoe Member Posts: 4
    While I love everything about my Sorento which I bought Oct. 1, 2002, I am having a problem with squealing serpentine belts when the vehicle is cold, damp or wet. My dealer said the belts are
    tight and this is normal with all Kia's. I never owned a Kia before so I have no idea if he is telling me the truth. He said if I want they will scuff up the belts and put dressing on them, but the problem will come back in about two weeks. Has anyone else had this problem or is there anyone who can give me any suggestions? It almost sounds like an old car with a bad water pump squealing. Thanks.

Artie Joe
    artiejoe - I don't have this problem. I am not a mechanic but mine told me usually the belts are not tight enough. Your service guy seem contradicted. Also, I have never seen any Kias (new or old) sound like this on the road. Maybe on old cars.