Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• Options
    occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    How many cars out there will ever get the gas mileage as indicated on the window sticker??? Even though the highway mileage I get is quite impressive (between 28 and 31 on a long trip mostly highway miles) the city driving is even more impressive. Only once did I get below 24 mpg. Maybe I don't do much of what is truly considered city driving, but relatively short trips & not on the highway for more than a few miles at a time. Heck, I have never had a car in the last 10 years that even got the city mileage advertised on the sticker. I would assume at 14k miles, the car is as broken in as it will ever get. I have nad no problem with the steering either. I keep the roof shades open all the time so don't have a problem with them snapping open like others on this board seem to have had.

I just had to bring an 8 foot aluminum pole back to Home Depot. You know of any sedan out there that could accomodate that without having it hang out the window on the passenger side?
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    OK, maybe I'm just antsy on the highway mileage. My previous car with a 3.8 liter V-6 usually turned in about 28 - 30 MPG on the same roads, and it was only EPA rated at 26 HWY.

I really like the electric steering...it gives decent road feel, despite what some of the auto reviewers have written about it. No trace of pulsing or jittering. Yet.

My sunshades have snapped open just once. When I close them I try to make sure the latch is really engaged snugly. Don't know if that helps.
  • Options
    icedog97icedog97 Member Posts: 141
    Where do you folks live?

I live in the hills of western PA, and although it's not San Francisco, you pretty much can't go anywhere without encountering hills.

Our Maxx gets about 19 MPG in what is truly city driving (even though we are in the burbs). Lots of short trips with traffic getting from "here to there."

I think every car should be tested here...I'd love to see what the EPA MPG would be.

BTW, if you think our Maxx might have "issues" because of the MPG here's some info that suggests it's fine...the car I traded for the Maxx was a 2002 Isuzu Axiom...rated at 17 MPG city...our normal MPG (same routes as the Maxx) was about 12
  • Options
    davismaxxdavismaxx Member Posts: 33
    I want to compliment you and your co-workers on the fine job you are doing with the Malibu Maxx. We took delivery of ours yesterday. I have bought many new cars, and I am very thorough about inspecting them. I can ALWAYS find several things wrong. However, this Maxx has me stumped. It's PERFECT! Fit, finish, operation, all perfect. Not a hint of a squeak or rattle. Between the excellent engineering, and creative design that went into this car, and the quality and pride of workmanship that shows in the final product, this car has got to be the best value in the market. NICE WORK!

Raoul Renaud
    Davis, California
    MAXX LS 1A
    Light Driftwood
    Build date 5/04
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Welcome to the boards, davismaxx! And we're so glad to hear you like your new car. I read your post on the buying experiences thread, and it sounds like you had an easy time getting the vehicle you wanted at a good price.

We'd love to hear more about how you like your Maxx as you put the miles on it.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    >One worrysome trend, though, is the power steering. I have noticed it is getting jittery, especially if I make right hand turns. I can feel it pulse if I turn the wheel slowly to the right. Has anyone else here had a similar problem?<

Check: "Problems and Solutions".
    KarenS "Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions" Sep 15, 2004 11:28am
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Thanks, maxxliberty...I will contact my local dealer this week and let them know of the problem.
  • Options
    Chevrolet Service Bulletin:

#04-02-35-009 Noisy steering column, lack of power steering assist, diagnostic trouble codes C0460 and C0545, steering wheel moves slightly by itself.
  • Options
    paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    if anyone is interested here is the TSB info:

#04-08-0110-004A. The correction is to add reinforcement on the left and right sides of the rear sunroof trim.

Also..took my maxx in for the insurance estimate for repair, The gentleman was a long time GM repair guy...over 25 years...got into a discussion with him on the MAXX and he had nothing but good things to say about the safety features and construction of the car...

My estimate to remove dents and refinish the drivers rear door and quarter panel $1600 of which $1250 is labor alone...not replacing any parts, simple removal, refinishing and applying the new clear coat. Body labor is 24 hours and paint labor is 9 hours with an estimate of 10 days to repair...... this was a side impact, side swipe at less that 5 miles an hour from a Ford Explorer, so be careful out there!
  • Options
    tehutitehuti Member Posts: 7
    Where do you find out about these service bulletins?
  • Options
    Where do you find out about these service bulletins?
  • Options
    >Where do you find out about these service bulletins?<

From posts on other Maxx site: Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions
    If there is another source I'd like to know what it is also.

KarenS "Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions" Sep 16, 2004 1:07am
  • Options
    gerryegangerryegan Member Posts: 1
    I had an unusual thing which I believe is related to my/our ongoing sunshade problems.

On Monday, August 30th of this year, my wife and I brought the car to the dealership in quite a panic after discovering large burned out spots on the ceiling above the back seat. I naturally assumed that some electrical malfunction, perhaps in the dome light wiring or the sunroof motor immediately above the burned areas, had caused the problem.

Upon closer inspection, the guy in the body shop observed that the burn did not appear to have come down from within the ceiling but from within the passenger compartment of the car. We knew we hadn't had anything hot in the car which could have come in contact with the ceiling in the back seat so couldn't imagine how it may have burned. At any rate, it was late so we left the car overnight so that someone in the body shop could peek above the ceiling the next morning to check for burns on or near the wiring.

The next morning, in the body shop, they showed me above the ceiling that there was no sign of burning and the wiring and sunroof motor were in good condition and working, as they should. The consensus of your staff was that somehow the sun had reflected off something in such a way that it burned holes in the ceiling. We're unable to identify anything we may have had back there that may cause such a reflection; we didn't have any CDs or anything like that back there. The chrome door handles and seatbelt ends are the shiniest things in the back seat. We have no other explanation, though.

I've asked Chevrolet/GM for help with this. If the sun did cause these burns it most likely came through the rear skylights over the back seat. The sunshades over those skylights are designed in such a way that they won't stay closed. Service records will show that I'd already been in complaining about that. In fact, the body shop had ordered a replacement headliner for me but told me when it came in that Chevrolet/GM recognized the shades were a problem and had notified them that replacing the headliner would not fix it and that they were working on a fix which would be available soon. We try to keep the sunshades closed at all times but they will pop open suddenly and randomly while the car is being driven or even when it's sitting parked.

Due to the fact that the sunshades were designed and or installed so ineffectively, allowing direct sunlight in, in a way not normally expected in other cars, and due to the fact that the ceiling and ceiling molding materials are of such a quality of materials that they could be so easily melted or burned, I think Chevrolet/GM should accept responsibility for the damage to our car.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Yes they should.
  • Options
    there are a couple of sources..some free some not..here is the one at the NHTSA site:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm

This one gives you general information and is a paysite if you want more specifics

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/

just do a google search for techincal service bulletins......or ask on the board...or call the GM customer service center
  • Options
    just FYI for all concerned with this issue..it appears the NHTSA is investigating the problem and has upgraded the investigation to an engineering analysis: Investigation was opened on 1 Jul 04, Your voices are being heard!

ODI OPENED PE04-031 BASED ON EIGHT REPORTS OF ALLEGED POWER STEERING FAILURE IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. THE COMPLAINTS ALLEGE THAT THE DRIVER SUDDENLY LOST ALL ELECTRIC POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE WITHOUT WARNING MAKING THE VEHICLE DIFFICULT TO STEER. THE SUBJECT VEHICLE UTILIZES AN ELECTRIC POWER STEERING ASSIST SYSTEM (EPS) THAT PROVIDES VARIABLE STEERING ASSISTANCE BASED ON STEERING WHEEL TORQUE, STEERING WHEEL POSTION, AND VEHICLE SPEED. GENERAL MOTORS DOCUMENTS IDENTIFIED THE FOLLOWING TWO FACTORS THAT CONTRIBUTED TO THE ALLEGED DEFECT IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES: A. CONTAMINATION OF THE TORQUE AND POSITION SENSOR FROM THE SEPARATION OF GREASE APPLIED TO THE STEERING COLUMN ASSEMBLY. B. ELECTRICAL NOISE GENERATED ON THE POWER AND GROUND SLIP RING SURFACES OF THE TORQUE AND POSITION SENSOR. THE NOISE IS GENERATED AS THE SENSOR CONTACT BRUSHES MOVE ALONG THE SLIP RING SURFACES WHEN THE STEERING WHEEL IS ROTATED. ODI'S ANALYSIS SHOWED FAILURE RATES THAT ARE OF CONCERN TO ODI AND INDICATED THAT THE ALLEGED DEFECT IS CONTINUING TO OCCUR IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES. AN ENGINEERING ANALYSIS HAS BEEN OPENED TO FURTHER INVESTIGATE THIS CONCERN, TO ASSESS THE POTENTIAL SAFETY-RELATED CONSEQUENCES, AND TO DETERMINE THE SCOPE OF THE AFFECTED POPULATION.

the website is the same as my message above for the NHTSA
  • Options
    jmax4jmax4 Member Posts: 22
    I completely agree with you. The material the frame is made of should be made of something not flexible and the latch should be in the shape of a hook, maybe, and be attached to something more rigid and not changing its shape. I would prefer to have the shades to be replaced with the design of the front sunroof (my dream) and not go for GM&#146;s suggested fix &#147;To correct this condition, install reinforcement 15227088 on the left and right sides of the rear sunroof trim.&#148; http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/images/issues/cnt_mo/TLcme.html#- story5
    This makes me think twice whether I want another GM car in the future, if they have such a problem with a small fix like this one.
  • Options
    I remember the new rear skylight reinforcements being made of cardboard (not sure if that is true), and simply glued in place along the sides of the skylight window trim. Definitely a cheap fix and helps a little but is no way as good as a hook type holder.
  • Options
    tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    pao

Thanks for the posting...my experience 2 days ago was exactly as explained in message #2130, and Chevrolet fixed it per bulletin 040235009 which is mentioned in one of the NHTSA listings. It seems to work ok, but I intend following up with GM to help me dump this vehicle because I am convinced my wife, had she been driving, could not have safely maneuvered the vehicle to a safe stop. I have an invitation to discuss this further with GM Monday, and will keep people apprised of any result.

Tricky73
  • Options
    pls do keep us advised....I will be surprised if GM helps "dump" the car however, as the dealer has fixed the problem in good faith..and as of the moment, there is not a "preceived safety" issue as of yet...all thought I realize you think differently at the moment...keep us all advised as to you success....cheers
  • Options
    I took my Maxx into a local dealer today and described the power steering pulsing I felt during turns. The service manager tried the steering, immediately noticed the pulsing, and declared the car undriveable.
    The service center provided a free rental car and told me the column would be replaced under warranty. Hopefully they will do the job right.

Incidently, hydraulic steering systems have gone sour in the past and I believe there have been a few recall campaigns regarding them.
  • Options
    Discovered another Maxx ( LT, white, no obvious dealer additions ) in a mall parking lot around 6 miles from my home. It's the first one I have seen "on the road" since I purchased mine in Feburary 2004. Hopefully the Maxx's owners are enjoying it !
  • Options
    michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    Davismaxx - How do you know your build date is 5/04? My copy of the Window Sticker with features and prices doesn't show a build date. Are you using the VIN (vehicle identification number) to identify the build date? I've noted a few other posters have mentioned a build date also. I'm curious as to where you and they have acquired the info. BTW, the final digits of my VIN number are 180741. I took delivery at the end of April.
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    michiganmaxx: open your driver's door. There is a white GM sticker on the door. The build date is on the left hand side of that sticker.
  • Options
    Right you are maxx4me. I have a build date of 02/04.

BTW to the forum group as a whole I have no squeaks or rattles to speak of with a little over 5200 miles on the odometer which makes for a pretty happy customer. Without exception, people that I show my Maxx to are quite impressed.
  • Options
    californiamaxxcaliforniamaxx Member Posts: 17
    I see 1-3 maxx's a day out here in Northern California. They are becoming more and more popular. Ranking of Colors: I see mostly galaxy silver and nearly as many medium grey, with very few white, black, red and light driftwood. haven't seen a silver green or navy blue as of yet. Let me know if you're all seeing the same color representation in your areas.
  • Options
    beedublubeedublu Member Posts: 236
    I see several per day here in Western New York. Popular colors seem to be Galaxy Silver (including mine), White, Medium Gray, and the occasional Driftwood. I saw one Black...not sure I like it in that color.
  • Options
    jmdchienjmdchien Member Posts: 11
    Thank you for sharing these nice tips with us. Never really thought about looking the escape route. This is a nice one.
  • Options
    jmdchienjmdchien Member Posts: 11
    I would go for MAXX. Had a 1998 New Beetle TDI. Purchased new at 19500. Traded in last year for a Honda CRV. It came with 2yr/24000 warranty. First problem occured when there was only 12 miles on it. Then spent lots of time in and out the dealer. First 2 years no cost of course. Then next 3 years costed me 16000 to fix all kind of problem. (should have bought the extended warranty). Got rid of it at 75000mile. In five years total cost of fixing for 16000. Come on VW NB was a fun car to drive, but nothing even closer if we are talking about duablity. Get the MAXX.
    James Chien
  • Options
    dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    My buddy popped in on Saturday and much to my surprise he bought a loaded Maxx LT. I was shocked as he always used to tell me how Japanese cars were better and American cars sucked but there he was with it to show me.

It was a galaxy silver color with DVD and moon roof. He tinted the windows which made it look even better. Nice car over all, if they added some accents to the middle stack it would look even better. Hopefully the quality will be good or he will never buy American again. He decided to give the Maxx a try given the discounts and the utility which is nice to see. GM has something original in the Maxx!
  • Options
    I have had my Maxx 3 weeks now and I have seen a total of 4 on the road, and this is in SoCal. That's odd, but I'm glad they're still sort of unique here. I would have expected to see many more by now.
  • Options
    rferdrferd Member Posts: 28
    I travel on US Highway 1 on the Trenton to New Brunswick, NJ corridor daily. I have seen three more MAXXes in addition to mine. In fact, there is one that parks very close to mine where I work. As you see, we are begining to see more. I have ~ 4800 miles in my 2004 LT and am very happy.
  • Options
    I saw a green one today for the first time. I still think my favorite color is the medium gray. I'd have bought that color had they offered the neutral interior on it. I like the wood trim that comes with the neutral interior. The only color I haven't seen on the road is the navy blue. There sure are a lot of silver and gray maxx's out there. like I said I'm seeing 2-5 maxx's a day. I drive a different road every day so these are likely not all repeats of cars I've seen before. Who ever set up the VOTING site for ages should maybe set up a site to see what color Maxx everyone has. Then we could see what the most popular colors are among all of us.
  • Options
    we can set the voting site up without a problem...the age of maxx buyers is still active with 40-49 being the most popular buyer age group....will try to have it up by the end of the day!
  • Options

Color of Your Maxx

new poll....for the color of your maxx
  • Options
    2004 LS with sunroof in Silver Green Metallic. I have only seen one other so far and it was a 2005.
  • Options
    skyhawkskyhawk Member Posts: 126
    I just returned from a 2500+ trip to Michigan. Saw 2, 1 in a rest stop on I80 in Ohio. The second was being towed behind a very large motor home. Both were silver grey.

I have a January, 04 build date. 8800 miles and no complaints. (sport red)
  • Options
    oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    Not to belabor the point, but my navy blue metallic is the only one in this color I've seen on the road. It's been on the road since January 21, '04. And since they discontinued this color for 05, replacing it with a dark blue, I guess I won't see very many. The silver and gray are by far the most popular here on Long Island, with the occasional white noted.
  • Options
    nymaxxnymaxx Member Posts: 30
    I have 4000 miles on my 2/04 Maxx and am pleased to report zero defects, zero problems and zero rattles. It's gotten some heavy use traveling the rough roads and traffic jams of the South Bronx.

GM is really giving away the store with this car. It's roomy, comfortable, handles great and looks sharp. On top of that economical. This is a tough segment, they showed they are willing to pull out all the stops to win it. Best of luck to them for a great effort.
  • Options
    madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    I've just reached 1000 miles--and my first 100-mile drive out to Montauk (Long Island). On the trip I got 29-30 miles to the gallon--much more than my city mileage, which has hovered around 13-15. I drove through a huge rainstorm on Saturday and the car handled very well. I made a couple of real quick stops and the brakes were excellent.
  • Options
    rferdrferd Member Posts: 28
    Soon cold weather will be the norm in the NE. As such, I plan to use my remote start to have the car "nice and warm" when I get in. I do have a question, however. Does anyone knows how to set up the heated seats on my LT so that the front seats will be warm like the rest of the car when I get in?
  • Options
    As of this morning, I see that 24 of us have indicated that color his/her Maxx is (see message #2149) which has been kindly set up by "pao". If you have the time, why not indicate what color your Maxx is? Keep in mind, we are not voting on what color we like, but what color we have, so hopefully we don't have anyone "voting" more than once thereby skewing the results. Thanks folks.
  • Options
    e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Unfortunately heated seat system can not be activated by remote start. It might be consideration for future but it won't work for your vehicle, sorry.
  • Options
    occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Just hit 15,000 on dark grey Maxx LT (the "LT" still missing from the trunk, waiting for dealer to replace it) Still, rarely see ever Maxx's in Southern New England. Just got back a few minutes ago from 1100 mile trip in two days up to Quebec, almost to Quebec City. On first fill up, trip computer indicated 30.9 and actual mileage was 28.5. On way home set a personal record! Trip computer indicated 35.4 and actual was 33.6.

I looked inside door & see that mine was built in February 04. No problems at all with rear shades (I just leave them open all the time) or steering.

I would imagine with the amount of driving I do, I probably have the most mileage on vehicle of all, or most on this board. Couldn't live without the satellite radio and the car turns heads wherever I go. Many think it to be a Sabb until you look closer. Just wish Chevy hadn't put that stupid large bow tie in the front. May look ok on a pick up, but not on the Malibu. I probably see 50 Impalas to every Malibu in my travels. I really like the looks of the Impala, but you can't beat all of the features including flexible seating, cargo space, etc., in the Malibou.
  • Options
    Color of Your Maxx
    Black (8) 20%

Dark Blue (7) 17%

Sport Red (6) 15%

Medium Grey (5) 12%

Silver Green (4) 10%

Galaxy Silver (5) 12%

Light Driftwood (4) 10%

White (2) 5%

Total Votes: 41

see message #2149 to vote your car color if you haven't already done so. remember this is not what your favorite color is but the actual color of your maxx.

Thanks goes out to pao for putting this poll together for all of us!
  • Options
    easy to set anything up at www.freepolls.com if anyone is interested...guess for the moment i will be the survey meister!
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    wow, only 41 Maxx owners nationwide!!! I knew I should have held out for the end of the year clearances. I would have gotten a much better deal, AND found the color I wanted.
  • Options
    Oh I'm sure there's plenty more Maxx owners out there that just don't know about this site like we do. I guess some of us are a little more fanatical about our cars than others.
  • Options
    tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Malibu as much as the rest of you, but I think that generally the people who buy Malibus aren't the type to get real excited about it and actively participate on a message board. They're probably more the type to use their car as an appliance.
  • Options
    I should think that that those that "use their car as an appliance" have been more drawn to the sedan version of the Malibu. I think the Maxx appeals more to "enthusiasts". I do agree that not everyone who has a Maxx or is interested in the Maxx is aware of this site.

I just got back from a 600 mile round trip to Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario, Canada. Great trip in my Maxx although I didn't see any other Maxxs while in Canada. BTW, I turned in a lease-expired Cadillac STS (nice experience) for the Maxx. I'm not implying there is a direct comparison, but I'm very pleased with my selection of the Maxx for it's all-around features & versatility.