Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    gagirl3gagirl3 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a new 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4X2 with 36 miles on 5/31/08. Drive out price was $25,800.
    Base price was $23,820.81
    Doc. fees $ 499.00
    tax @ 6% $ 1,459.19
    GA warr. rts.fee $ 3.00
    title fee $ 18.00

Total $25,800

Financed through Honda at 5.09% interest for 60 months. Monthly payment is $488.01 Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    antony0829antony0829 Member Posts: 2
    29,900 OTD in Knoxville, Tennessee
    include trunk tray, splash guards and cargo area cover (the one can fold into half)

I think there is not much difference between the 07 and 08 CR-V
    just make the adjustment of some minor difference.

Hope this information helps.
  • Options
    amty007amty007 Member Posts: 9
    hey ccacp,

yes you are right and HONDA includes the cloth mats, but I meant the rubber winter mats :)
  • Options
    jillanjillan Member Posts: 8
    Two dealerships in the South Bay (of the SF bay area) that seem ready to deal and easy to work with are Larry Hopkins in Sunnyvale and South Bay Honda in Los Gatos.
  • Options
    jillanjillan Member Posts: 8
    gagirl3, I'd say so.
  • Options
    crv16crv16 Member Posts: 205
    Do a google search for "boch honda" and you will find oodles of reviews of their dealership. They have a reputation as a "bait and switch" dealership.
  • Options
    wschecklawscheckla Member Posts: 3
    I hope gagirl got a good deal; mine was pretty similar. Bought in Central Valley of CA, from Tracy Honda after doing the popular email-a-quote to get pricing from all the other dealers around. Dealer said they would meet or beat my best deal, but then tried to reneg when I showed them my best 3 quotes. Typical dealer tactic; they capitulated when I said I would walk over $75 based on principle of their promise, and started to do so. Biz manager seemed to think my price was about as low as they went in our area though.

I purchased a new 2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4X2 with 32 miles (Black interior and exterior) on 5/25/08. Drive out price was $26,145.00, broken out as follows:

Base price was $23,980.00
    Doc. fees $ 55.00
    tax 7.75% $ 1,858.45
    title fee $ 251.55

Total $26,145.00

Financed through Honda at 4.99% interest.

I might have been able to get a lower price, but felt like this was decent enough.
  • Options
    colfaxwolfcolfaxwolf Member Posts: 11
    I have noticed over the last couple of weeks similar deals on other vehicles so I do not know that it was a mistake. However, I would never buy a plane ticket until I had a signed contract faxed to me though because you never know. There are certainly a lot of the old bait and switch stories out there on this dealership.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    If there are "a lot of the old bait and switch stories out there on that dealership", WHY would you consider buying a car from them?
  • Options
    johngtjohngt Member Posts: 19
    Sounds like you got a nice price and were pleased with the dealer. Would you mind saying which dealer you used? Thanks.
  • Options
    troymasterstroymasters Member Posts: 8
    Hey Jillan, I got a quote of $24,888 + TTL from Larry Hopkins in Sunnyvale as well. This is for the 2008 CRV EX-L AWD. Best price quote so far!
  • Options
    colfaxwolfcolfaxwolf Member Posts: 11
    I probably would not consider buying a car from them at this point. I was just remarking earlier that I was surprised at such a low advertised price. It was more thinking out loud than anything. However, I did notice in some of the reviews that they did provide what they promised.
  • Options
    searchingforassearchingforas Member Posts: 6
    I bought mine3 days ago EXL AWD 60 miles on the car

27900 OTD (8.2% sales tax)

But now after reading that people in cali are getting EXL 4WD from california for less than 27000 OTD I think I got a bad deal!!!
  • Options
    I haven't bought the CRV yet, but after TTL (approx. 10%), my OTD would be around $27,380.

$24,888
    + 2489 (10% for TTL, tax is 8.5%)
    ------------

What was your price before TTL?
  • Options
    vadaivadai Member Posts: 14
    Hello,

My mother(a New Hampshire resident) purchased her CRV(EX 4WD) at Honda village located at Newton MA for $22016 + $635(destination charge) + $299(documentation fee). We used the carbargains.org service and it was excellent and highly recommended.

Thadiyan
  • Options
    searchingforassearchingforas Member Posts: 6
    Hey troymasters,

the total before TTL was 25600 and total was 27900 OTD ...

are you buying from Seattle area???
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Is that even possible?

Of course it's possible. Anything is possible.

There is always a chance a dealer would be willing to lose money on the sale of a popular car.

There is also a chance that the Mariners could win the World Series this year! :confuse:
  • Options
    amty007amty007 Member Posts: 9
    Motorcars Honda in Cleveland
  • Options
    hesaidhesaid Member Posts: 16
    2008 CRV EX Glacier Blue
    Purchased from Tampa Honda Land on 6-Jun-08
    Price of Vehicle: $22,200 (delivery included)
    Florida Pre-delivery Service Fee: $499
    Document Handling Fee: $99
    Florida new tire fee: $5
    Lead Acid battery fee: $1.50
    $22804
    That's $221 above what Edmunds has listed as the invoice or $121 above what the dealer said is their invoice price - I'm not sure which one to believe. Either way, I'm satisfied with the deal. It took my wife and I 5.5 hours to complete this deal which is absolutely absurd. Our actual "face time" with the various sales people and the paperwork guy was about 1 - 1.5 hours of that - the rest of the time was spent waiting - needless to say I won't be purchasing another vehicle from this dealership. It was a Saturday and they were busy but 5.5 hours is 3.5 hours more than it should have taken. If you are in Florida you will pay this Florida Pre-delivery Service Fee even though it's not listed on Edmunds TMV. My brother-in-law confirmed this with his two recent Honda purchases.

Here is my advice if you are at all nervous about the buying process.
    1) If you have a trade-in do yourself a favor and take it to CarMax for a purchase quote only. They are very friendly and it's a very easy process. They will give you a quote that is good for 7 days. It should take maybe 45 minutes.
    2) Make sure that when you start seriously looking (you are carrying your checkbook) that you pick a day when you can dedicate the entire day to shopping. In our case it meant arranging for my parents to watch our two young ones.
    3) You should plan out the "flow" of any negotiations you may engage in. For example, here was our plan:
    a) What are the fees we would expect to pay? We didn't want any surprises when we started negotiating. Find these out up front.
    b) What accessories come with the vehicle you are interested in? Again, no surprises.
    c) Negotiate the price. Tell then that you are not trading in your vehicle. You can tell them you already have a buyer if you must but don't tell them it's CarMax. Make sure that you take a printed copy of the Edmunds TMV and a printed list of the prices of accessories - even if it's an accessory you wouldn't normally be interested in (you can research them here on Edmunds). Keep these papers in a folder where they cannot see them and don't tell them you have info from Edmunds - you don't want them to know how you researched the car. In order to minimize confusion, negotiate from the base price and don't worry about the out-the-door price for now (just know you will need to add tax, tag, and title). If there are any accessories on the car you'll have a printed list of their prices - add them to the base price on your concealed paperwork. Negotiating from the base price is just less confusing in my opinion - the numbers can get confusing in the heat of negotiations if you are going back and forth between base price and out-the-door price. My most important piece of advice is to have a base price ceiling written on paper before going in to the dealership (you may need to add price of accessories where applicable) and seriously be prepared to walk if it goes over that price. (our ceiling was no more than $400 over invoice + accessories). You’ve already arranged your day with time to visit another dealership so be prepared to do that. Don’t get emotional during the negotiations and change your ceiling. Your homework is accurate and will pay-off. They literally sent us 3 “Sales Managers” that tried to get us to increase our base price. The third sales manager said “we can’t do that price - we are $1600 apart” I wanted to laugh because I knew my research was accurate so we stood up, thanked our Salesman, and started to leave. The Salesman went and got the store manager. In our case we went up another $100 when we talked to this guy because he said our invoice price was wrong (from Edmunds). But, even though we went up, we insisted on a cargo tray and door edge guards. He said OK and the deal was done.
    4) Now we told them (with the store mgr still at the table with us) “to make things easier we have a car that we can trade in if you can match our purchase offer” (the one we got from CarMax). They offered us a lower price but because we only paid taxes on the purchase price of the vehicle (price after trade-in) the net was the same. This was very good for us because it meant we didn’t have to go back to CarMax - though we would have had they not matched the price.
    Good luck and happy shopping!
  • Options
    aussie_okieaussie_okie Member Posts: 1
    I paid, including all fees and TT&L plus spoiler, front splash guards & body side molding (installed):
    $26,187.50

not sure if that's good or not.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter would like to talk to consumers who are in the market for (or have recently purchased) a Honda as a result of high gas prices. Please respond to jwahl@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information, as well as your current vehicle and the Honda you have purchased or are considering no later than Tuesday, June 10th.
  • Options
    carbuyr101carbuyr101 Member Posts: 3
    :confuse:

ok... here's what I worked out from the dealer:

I went in to work out a deal for a 2008 CR-V EX 2WD. They tried to sell me the car at MSRP + destination charge + their Vehicle Enhancement Kit worth $795. So far, the total price pushed to me was $24,380 ($22,950+635+795).

I talked them down $1,800 to $22,574 after about 1 1/2 to 2 hours of negotiation.

I left it at that for the time being. They don't have the color I want so I went home and told them I'd think about it. They said that the 2WD in the northeast region is very hard to come by, so...

Is this a good deal? I still have to consider the $2,000 I want to put down as well as how much the tax, tag and title and fees come out to be but that's pretty much a wash.

Can I do better? They were really working hard to not budge on the purchase price and the sales manager said that the last price they gave me was unbelievable. While I find it unbelievable that it was "unbelievable", I wonder if I could go further.

Unfortuantely, I don't care about the Vehicle Enhancement Kit but it is already installed on the car. Am I able to tell them to take it off and knock down the price further, or knock down the price anyway because they weren't options I chose for the car?

Help would be great! I know getting $$$ off on a new car purchase (especially a CR-V right now) is difficult and there's not too much wiggle room, but I want to make sure I'm not paying too much. I'm having a difficult time figuring this out.
  • Options
    carbuyr101, it looks like a pretty good deal to me - you shouldn't have any remorse about going with that deal. Depending on how much time you have and effort you want to put in to the search you might try another dealership - but the chances are another dealership isn't going to be enough less expensive to justify the pain of enduring another negotiation process :)
  • Options
    Thanks hesaid, I just feel iffy about it since others here are boasting great deals, like they got invoice price and their tax tag and title paid for them :) Do you think I could still do better with the same dealer? Thanks for your reply.
  • Options
    carbuyr101, I don't know what the invoice is in your area for a EX 2WD but $22574 can't be too much over invoice. When I went to my dealership last Saturday they had probably (no exagerration) 15 - 20 other people buying cars. My salesman told me they'd probably sell about 45 cars that day. My point is, as bad as the news is about the economy, there are still a lot of people buying cars - partly that is because people are trading in their gas guzzlers for more fuel efficient vehicles and if you want a fuel efficient SUV the CRV is the best choice out there IMHO. The CRV is not a car that is going to sit in their lot because no one wants it - a Pilot may sit for a long time but not a CRV. You may read that people are getting CRVs for below invoice but I don't think most dealerships are going to be willing to do that with a CRV - but I could be wrong. I think you are pretty close to as low as anyone will go - so it's just a matter of how valuable is your time? Do you want to spend another 1.5 hours negotiating so that you can save another $250? Some people will answer yes to that question but not me. I expect my CRV will serve me for a long time - I know I didn't get ripped off so I'm happy with my deal.... decisions, decisions :)
  • Options
    thanks for the reassurance hesaid :) I just want to make sure I'm getting a good deal, and the reassurance certainly helps!
  • Options
    coolguy76coolguy76 Member Posts: 9
    I am looking to buy a CR-V Ex-L (Black) 4 WD Ex-L in next 2-3 days.

This is best quote(s) so far.3-4 Dealers in NJ are offering this SUV at Invoice price.

Did anyone get a better OTD price on this vehicle in last 1-2 months ?

SELLING PRICE: $24,821
    DESTINATION and HANDLING: $635
    DEALER INSTALLED OPTIONS: $0
    STATE SALES TAX: $1,781.92
    DOCUMENTATION FEE: $199
    NJ TIRE FEE: $7.50
    TOTAL PRICE: $27,698.42
  • Options
    crvruffcrvruff Member Posts: 2
    Was the 26K after dest but before tax and doc?
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    29,900 OTD in Knoxville, Tennessee
    include trunk tray, splash guards and cargo area cover (the one can fold into half)

I think there is not much difference between the 07 and 08 CR-V
    just make the adjustment of some minor difference.

Hope this information helps.

The EX-L model for 2008 offers automatic climate control, with dual controls for driver and passenger, the 2007 does not.

I hope you didn't just buy this car. As a 2007 model, you shouldn't have paid anywhere close to $30k for a CR-V now in 2008.
  • Options
    carcrvcarcrv Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

I am new to honda. I have got OTD price of 25890 for 2008 CR-V EX-L AWD. This includes 3.2% tax (VA/DC/MD) and destination charge + doc fee + title (50). If that is good price, I will buy it soon.
    By the way, can I install the fog lights ($233) after car purchase?

Is this a good deal? Please advice.
  • Options
    mansamansa Member Posts: 4
    I paid $24,500 OTD (incl. all taxes and fees) for a 2008 Honda CR-V EX 4WD in Tango Red. Is this a good price? The dealer Rt. 23 honda,NJ.
  • Options
    Can you give the breakdown pls... (Base price + dest + title + tags) ...

Thx
  • Options
    Here is the breakup of the 08 CRV EX-4WD:
    Price of unit (incl dest.) 22,638
    NJ sales Tax @7%: 1,585
    MV Fee: 7.50
    Online Reg fee: 7.20
    Transfer plates: $75
    Doc Fee: 188

Total $24,500.86
  • Options
    This does look like a good deal for NJ. You got about 500 off invoice list on edmunds.

I am in market too and the closest quote I have is invoice.

Would you mind telling me where you bought this from ?

Thanks
  • Options
    Route 23 Honda in NJ. Went through the Costco Auto Program.
  • Options
    bucobuco Member Posts: 49
    Costco Auto Program is not owned by Costco, but by an advertising firm for which dealers pay for referrals... go figure! If you look closely at the small print on the Costco Auto Program (not Costco itself), you will see this is true.

With 2009s about to come out and with the CRV's low MPG @ over $4 a gallon, I've decided to buy something else with better mileage; but also I want the 5 Star safety tests which the CRV has.

I've ended up with something for $20,084 OTD, but not a crossover or SUV.

Good luck on your search. :)
  • Options
    What did you end up buying?
  • Options
    Hi Mansa

I am really interested in the deal you got...

Any chance you can send me the name of sales person you dealed with ...

I would really appreciate if you can send the name to annesrinivas at gmail.com

Thx in advance
  • Options
    crave99crave99 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I recently bought a silver 2008 EXL 2WD w/ Navi, including fog lights and chrome exhaust installed. (10 miles on the car)

25378 base
    670 destination
    28500 w/ TTL (8.25% Bay area) OTD
  • Options
    xxazngrl2000xxxxazngrl2000xx Member Posts: 11
    Hi carcrv-

Not sure if that's a great price, since I've only decided to purchase a '08 CRV EX for $24,400 (in Philly area). I wanted to get fog lights, but thought the $600 or so price was a bit high, so I bought the fog lights online (~$210) and had my brother install it for me a few months later. It takes about 2 hours or so to install it. So, I saved ~$400.

Good luck on installing it!
  • Options
    rick9194rick9194 Member Posts: 50
    Any recent purchase price info in the charlotte area ... or other areas of NC.

Thanks
  • Options
    fsnewsfsnews Member Posts: 2
    trying to buy a CR-V in southern Calif(San Diego area) seem to not get a terrific price. anyone have any leads on a good experience & price in So Cal. from dealers. Is it best to get internet quotes from many? . 1 dealer did quote me $1000 of MSRP. I think I should do better. Looking a EX or EXL. maybe look in LA?
    Any help on specific dealer & possble price would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    nanhead3nanhead3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, just purchased an '08 CRV EX-L 2WD for $24000 which is $589 under dealer invoice. I checked with a few dealers and it seems that San Diego Honda dealers have a mandatory $230 (~ish, don't have the invoice right in front of me) advertising fee that they pass on to the customer. Our OTD price was $26173.01
    I'm fairly confident we could have worked them more on the price, but we opted to have them give us a better trade in value for our '04 Pilot, which we had no luck selling prior to buying the CRV. We got more than we thought we would.
    Our sales guy sucked, we ended up working with the manager. Can't wait for Honda to call us so we can rate our experience... if we hadn't spent over an hour talking to them already, we would've walked out and dealt with Honda of Escondido instead.
    We got lots of quote of $100 over invoice just from asking them sales people on the floor... check with internet sales, they have the better pricing them find the dealer which has the one ON LOT. Hope this helps
  • Options
    candyleecandylee Member Posts: 2
    Hi, my sis wants to buy a 08 CRV EX-L 2WD too (with navi). The price you got $26173.01 is with navi or not? Thanks
  • Options
    candyleecandylee Member Posts: 2
    Hi, sounds like you had a good deal. Do you mind telling me which dealer did you buy your car from? Thanks.
  • Options
    jred121jred121 Member Posts: 1
    Base price: $22,720 (included destination)
    Purchase date: the previous weekend
    Out-the-door: just under $23,800.
    Tax (3% in NC): $680
    Doc fee: just under $300
    Tags: $75

The Internet pricing strategy worked well. Submitted requests for OTD prices to 7 dealers w/in an hr of us. Received prices from 6. OTD price range varied from $24,460 to just under $23,800. Some dropped out of negotiations over email. Couldn’t get the lowest offer to budge much, but also had a Glacier Metallic Blue in stock. A few local dealers dropped their price some, but not enough. One met the lowest price, but wanted an extra $300 to order the color we wanted. We ended the drama quickly and went with the low bid.

After looking at the Edmunds True Market Value, KBB’s estimate of what cars are going for and CR’s guide, I expected to pay something around or more than invoice. Then I saw what was posted here. Thanks for all of the posts.
  • Options
    nickpannickpan Member Posts: 4
    I would like to know how much everyone is paying for CRV LX in Houston area. Can anyone post their buying experience in Houston, TX area. -Thanks
  • Options
    sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    My daughter will buy a 2008 CR-V, unless we find a good deal on a low mileage 2007, sometimes between now and mid-September. Is she llikely to get a significantly better deal in September? Thanks for any thoughts.
  • Options
    cjtashmancjtashman Member Posts: 1
    Did you buy the 2008 CR-V EX-L yet. and if you did what dealership did you buy it from.... thank you
  • Options
    I just bought mines yesterday at Larry Hopkins in Sunnyvale, CA. I think I got a fair price as compared to others that I read. Here is my breakdown:

Price of EX-L AWD (incl dest. & hand with 15 miles on it) = $24,800 (last week was asking for 24,888)
    Options which was included w/ car and I did not care for them: wheel locks, front splash guards, cargo tray and cargo-area cover = $150
    Doc Prep Fee = $55
    CA sales Tax 8.5% = $2125.43
    Official Fees = $234.75
    ----------------------------------
    OTD = $27,365.18