Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• Options
    libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    and "Chrysler 300N" conversations
  • Options
    fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    Otto, it's middle of July - what's happening on the plant - when the first cars are rolling out?
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    we are still building the LH cars till Aug 28 . Then we shutdown for major retooling for the LX cars . I dont know if they have a date on when we start building pilot LX cars , but we were told the first sellable LX cars will not be built till late Jan 04 . Hope this helps
  • Options
    Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Recently I saw a spot saying the base Chryslers would continue to use the 2.7 and the 3.5... Is that correct based on your understanding? Seems like an awful lot of car for the 2.7...
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i agree jason. but, an article in automobile magazines quoted a chrysler engineer as saying the 2.7l and 3.5l deficiencys would be fixed. there has been talk of hemi heads for some of the v6 engines, but i'm not sure how that would work with overhead cams...?
  • Options
    That's interesting... I don't know that I'd consider the 2.7 or the 3.5 "deficient"....I just don't see how the 2.7 could ever produce reasonable power for a 3900 pound car...
  • Options
    yeah, if it were me, the smallest engine in the lx cars would be the 3.5l...2.7l just doesn't have enough low end grunt! also i'm a little surprised they aren't gonna use the 4.7l engine. i think that would be a great in-between powerplant (ie 3.5-5.7l).
  • Options
    a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    "Tentative Launch Dates (JOB 1)

Chrysler Sedan 300's
    Monday Feb. 2nd 2004

Dodge Magnum
    Friday April 2nd 2004

Dodge Sedan (Charger?)
    April 4th 2005

There is a 30 to 45 day containment window on top of these dates
    just to make sure everything is O.K."

Note that the Dodge sedan is not coming out till 4/05, presumably as an '06 model. Considering that the Dodge Intrepid goes out of production 8/03, that's a loooong time for Dodge dealers to wait for a new shipment of sedans!

-Andrew L
  • Options
    with all the inventory sitting on all new car lots now, I wouldn't be worried for DC - good if they'll seel most of them to the time 300 shows up.
    BTW, some update from http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6249&sid=178&am- p;n=158 - see the 300 on the way there.
    They say, engine choice will start from 3.5L V6. The car looks like some old model Mercedes.
    I start looking more and more on Q45 - at least it's not generic and derivative.
  • Options
    amadeus1amadeus1 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a Chrysler 2004, 300M with approximately 2200 miles on it. After having a 2002 that was a lemon, I traded out of the '02 for the '04. Nothing wrong with the car, just not happy with the entire process or service via Chrysler. Any ideas on a fair trade-in value for this vehicle that isn't even listed in the Blue Book yet? Thanks...

D.I.
  • Options
    You should have leased the car - Chrysler ownership could be disasteros (former Intrepid owner). Theoretically you shouldn't loose too much, but with the car prices now you could be in a tight spot. Dealers, to the best of my knowledge, don't go with KBB, I saw them using NADA, but Honda guys, for example, have their own book. You'll be better off visiting some dealership and try to talk them into looking in one of their little books...
  • Options
    rusty104rusty104 Member Posts: 39
    The Edmund's reviews of Chrysler radios have not been good. Does anyone know if they are being upgraded for the new models?
  • Options
    I didn't have problem with mine - was the only thing which didn't break on the car.
  • Options
    svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    While I haven't read all of Edmunds' reviews, I believe that they usually dislike only Chrysler's head units and find the sound quality to be pretty good. It actually annoys me how Edmunds reviewers find it necessary, in each and every Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep review, to complain about the complexity of using the presets on Chrysler's radios. Sure, theirs might be different than other manufacturers' systems, but does this make the Chrysler preset system bad? It seems pretty simple and logical to me.
  • Options
    You needn't be too surprised by this... Edmunds.com is no less free from bias--warranted or otherwise--than any other group. They seem to have some sort of axe to grind with Chrysler. The Intrepid test was replete with this. Just as you'll see dubious claims from posters in these boards.
  • Options
    I also noticed strong anti-Chrysler bias in Edmunds' long-term Grand Caravan review. While it's arguable that Honda's Odyssey is a better van, most other automotive writers agree that Chrysler's is pretty damn good, too. But Edmunds could never stop talking about how expensive the Grand Caravan was, and they dwelled on the van's weaknesses while just briefly mentioning its strong points. And if I hear one more time about how "counter-intuitive" the preset system is...

Getting back to rusty104's radio post, there is an article in the September issue of Car and Driver in which Patrick Bedard ponders the industry's move from traditional fender-mounted, mast-style radio antennae to more aesthetically pleasing, in-glass systems. The article states that with the in-glass systems, car-makers must make a trade-off between sound quality and weak-station performance. GM tends to handle weak stations well, whereas Chrysler and BMW concern themselves with sound quality under optimal radio signal conditions. This explains the common complaint among Chrysler owners on Edmunds that their radio reception is sometimes poor.
  • Options
    Good observations... Again, Edmunds isn't the only industry media that seems to do this, witness Consumer Reports, etc.etc... It's surprising too how blatantly it manifests. My favorites are the minivan "kvetching" you mentioned and harping on the Intrepid's styling (a.k.a. the "squished whale" fallacy). The Intrepid and the Concorde were routinely honored for their styling when they debuted in late 1997/early 1998. C & D, Motor Trend, Autoweek etc. all raved about it and continue to mention how well it "stands up" 5 years later.
        So, low and behold, when Edmunds can't find so much to complain about in the long-term test suddenly the "squished whale" styling issue emerges. You can almost hear the gears turning..."well damn it didn't fall apart like we had hoped, and the transmission didn't break like they do on ALL Chryslers (wink). In fact it had some of the lowest maintenance cost of any long-termer....what CAN we pick on???"
          I rarely listen to my radio, using my 4 disk CD changer instead. When I have I don't have any qualms about reception in my Trep'--however, I do notice an occasional harmonic buzz in my speakers..
  • Options
    I'd written off Consumer Reports so long ago I forgot about its tremendous biases. If I recall correctly, they once recommended a Hyundai Sonata over a Chrysler Sebring sedan. At least the 300M and other LH models are "recommended," though CR never really seems to have anything good to say about them.

With the recent Ram, Pacifica, and Crossfire introductions, Chrysler has begun to receive the respect it deserves from the majority of automotive journalists. Let's hope this continues with the `04 Durango, `05 LX's, and so on.
  • Options
    treehumpindogtreehumpindog Member Posts: 22
    but i wish daimler chrysler had kept the twin circular front headlight design and solid red rear lamp design from the concept vehicle. with its cost-cutting one piece mirrored front headlight assembly, the production magnum looks a lot less menacing. still, i think it's a pretty good looking wagon. it looks like it'll come down to a test drive of the Dodge Magnum SST with all wheel drive and the new Subaru Legacy GT Turbo with all wheel drive. Either way, I think i'll be one happy guy on the way up to Whistler. Snowboarding, anyone?
  • Options
    Dodge Magnum SST ?. The Magnum will come as SXT or RT .Then down the road will come the SRT-8 option, 6.1 Hemi power .
  • Options
    I wonder, what will be the least expensive version with 5.7?
  • Options
    treehumpindogtreehumpindog Member Posts: 22
    thanks for the clarification cousin. i read somewhere that there would be an SST model, but i defer to your knowledge of this car as i find your posts to be always informative. btw, do you happen to know which model/trim levels the awd option will be offered on? i'm interested in the hemi with awd and leather, but if the price gets too lofty, i might consider the 3.5L with awd and leather if it's offered. Cheers!
  • Options
  • Options
    jediknight2bjediknight2b Member Posts: 10
    On the concept they had the one piece hood like the original trucks used, the open lower intake looks nicer than the production cross bars too. I don't know it is a nice looking design, if you can get a set of 20's on it with some meats, drop the front a bit more. Lots of room for a killer sound system :) I was really hopeful that the new C would do something for me, so far the pics don't do much. Maybe it will be better looking in person? I will say that the Magnum is better looking than the Pacifica, and I like the Pacifica, almost bought one but decided to keep my M a while longer.
  • Options
    treehumpindog- not sure yet about options but I would imagine you can get AWD on all models. From what I have heard AWD will not launch for about 8-12 months after we launch the RWD Magnum.

jediknight2b- just wait till you see the 300 in person , its pretty amazing .
  • Options
    Incedently, does anybody know, if the glass in the rear door - I mean hatch door - goes down on it is possible to flip it up?
  • Options
    the glass is fixed to the rear hatch. only the hatch opens
  • Options
    Very unfortunate. Then, Dodge should offer something what will fix hatch in the in-between positions, when you put in the car something what does not exactly allow you to close the hatch - btw beams, etc (am in the middle of rebuilding my house).
    BTW, yesteday my dealer called me back and told me, that Durango 5.7L SLT with 37,200 MSRP which I tesdrove Friday last week could be had for $9,000 less - allegedly Dodge wants to put some new trucks on the road, therefore they discount them so deeply. This way they say I can buy it for 28,000 - I still question sanity of what I've heard - do you know anything regarding it?
  • Options
    Dealer made a mistake - discount is for the '03 Durango.
  • Options
    Following this month's launch of the Dodge Durango SUV, DC will rollout: The SRT10 Ram pickup in January; PT Cruiser convertible in March; Wrangler Unlimited (long wheelbase) and Chrysler 300C in April; Dodge Magnum and Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 in May; Dakota pickup and Crossfire Roadster in September; Jeep Liberty refresh and all-new Grand Cherokee in November.

The 300C will be priced starting at about $25,000 for a 2.7-liter V-6, going all the way up to $35,000 for a 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 version. It will also be available in a 3.5-liter V-6 version.

Another highlight of the Chrysler showcase was the emphasis on proliferating the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 in as many vehicles as possible. The Chrysler 300C, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Durango, and Jeep Grand Cherokee are all getting the Hemi. Hemi-equipped 300Cs and Magnums are expected to account for as much as 40 percent of sales volume or more.
  • Options
    alvinatoralvinator Member Posts: 1
    Sharp looking vehicle but it won't sell in great numbers due to rear wheel drive.
  • Options
    As promised, Chrysler released info on the 300 Series as well as the Dodge Magnum at a 1:30PM press conference at the Detroit Auto Show.

Here's the some pricing/info for each Chrysler 300 model:

1. Chrysler 300
        - $23,595
        - 190HP, 190ft-lbs 2.7L V6 w/ 4 Speed Automatic
        - 0-60MPH in 10.7 seconds
    2. Chrysler 300 Touring
        - $27,395
        - 250HP, 250 ft-lbs 3.5L V6 w/ 4 Speed Automatic
        - 0-60MPH in 8.5 seconds
    3. Chrysler 300 Limited
        - $29,890
        - Same powertrain as Touring model
    4. Chrysler 300C
        - $32,995
        - 340HP, 390ft-lbs 5.7L V8 w/ Multi Displacement System
        - 5 Speed Automatic w/ AutoStick
        - 0-60MPH in 6.3 seconds

All models include 17" aluminum wheels (18" on 300C), RWD w/ available AWD, short- and long-arm front suspension, independent five-bar multi-link rear suspension, rack and pinion steering, tilt-telescoping steering wheel, 8-way power driver's seat, and analog clock.

For full details, click here.

Here's the some pricing/info for each Dodge Magnum model:

1. Dodge Magnum SE
        - $22,495
        - 190HP, 190ft-lbs 2.7L V6 w/ 4 Speed Automatic
        - 0-60MPH in 10.7 seconds
    2. Dodge Magnum SXT
        - $25,995
        - 250HP, 250ft-lbs 3.5L V6 w/ 4 Speed Automatic
        - 0-60MPH in 8.5 seconds
    3. Dodge Magnum RT
        - $29,995
        - 340HP, 390ft-lbs 5.7L V8 w/ Multi Displacement System
        - 5 Speed Automatic w/ AutoStick
        - 0-60MPH in 6.3 seconds
        - Most powerful vehicle under $30,000

All models include 17" aluminum wheels (18" on Magnum RT), RWD w/ available AWD, short- and long-arm front suspension, independent five-bar multi-link rear suspension, rack and pinion steering, and super access rear liftgate.

For full details, click here.

For more details on the Hemi engine with Multi Displacement System, click here.
  • Options
    I should say, that performance numbers are nothing to write home about. I wonder, what mileage the car will get.
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "Sharp looking vehicle but it won't sell in great numbers due to rear wheel drive"

Shows that people have been brainwashed into thinking RWD cars fly off the road into ditches all the time.
  • Options
    actually i wouldn't be surprised if the LX cars pickup alot of the old retired crowd that lives down south and doesn't worry much about snow and ice...
  • Options
    dukeofdallasdukeofdallas Member Posts: 52
    $33k is a great price for the Hemi C. I can see myself in one after about a year or two of depreciation. I'm thinking of a '96 Impala SS to bridge the gap.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    if they're really going to be that inexpensive, maybe I'll go ahead and get a Hemi version sooner than I had expected! My original pipe-dream was to wait for them to hit the used car market and take the depreciation hit, but if they're priced that reasonably, I might splurge for a newer one. Dunno if I'll ever buy brand-new again, though. Cars are just too danged expensive!

I'm actually impressed that the 2.7 can move all that bulk from 0-60 in 10.7 seconds, though! It has a broader torque curve than the current 2.7, which they had to give up a few peak horsepower for. But still, even with the base engine, these cars must weigh close to two tons!

Also kind of a shame that the 2.7 and 3.5 versions are getting stuck with a 4-speed automatic. It's not a version of the current LH automatic, is it? Just reconfigured for RWD?
  • Options
    did a little reading, and it looks like the 300's weight starts off at 3700 lb. So I guess that's not TOO bad. I think that's about 200 lb more than the current base Concorde. I figured they would've added more weight than that though, considering that the car's RWD and has a bulkier look to it.

Looks like interior volume for the 300 sedan is rated at 106.6 cubic feet, and 15.6 cubic feet for the trunk. Both volumes are actually smaller than the current Concorde (about 108 cubic feet inside and 18.8 in the trunk), so I wonder if that's going to turn anybody off? Then again, the car's also about 10 inches shorter!
  • Options
    andre,

the only LX cars that will get hemis are the top dollar ones. for at least the first year anyway. so if you want the hemi...new, you'll be shelling out over 30k.

btw, i'm pretty sure the 42RE is based on the old 42LE from the LH cars... personally i think chrysler is dumbing down their flagships by even putting a 4 speed in them. hell, honda already puts 5 speed automatics in their 4 banger accords!!

anyway, here's hoping that eventually dodge realeases a hemi charger that can be gotten for under 30k...!!
  • Options
    yeah, but I had been under the impression earlier, for some reason, that the Hemi versions of these cars were going to be more like $40-50K! Now that I'm hearing around $30K base, that at least gives me a little hope! A $30K car will depreciate to the point where I'd be inclined to buy it faster than a $40-50K car would!

And yeah, Chrysler really does need to get away from 4-speed automatics, at least in cars like this! Truthfully though, I think even putting in the V-6es is dumbing down the Chrysler versions a bit. This actually would've been a good case for keeping Plymouth around. Let Plymouth have a cheaper version with smaller V-6 engines to compete with the likes of the Taurus and Impala, while the Magnum could go up against sportier cars like the Bonneville, Maxima, and such. I think it would've been cool if they just came out with a de-tuned version of the Hemi for the cheaper versions of the 300...that would've given them a bit more prestige, while at the same time, having a Plymouth around would've let them build a volume car with a smaller engine.

I hope Dodge does come out with a 4-door sedan on this platform, no matter what it's called! I mean, they'd be fools not to, since the Intrepid was Dodge's top selling car. And replacing that with a wagon just isn't going to take up the slack.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    . 29,995 with the hemi (see below) and w/ delivery charge - according to the build & price section of Dodge's web site.

"The all-new Dodge Magnum RT comes standard with a 5.7-liter HEMI(R) Magnum(R) V8 engine matched to a five-speed automatic transmission, performance four-wheel antilock disc brakes with all-speed traction control, and 18-inch polished aluminum wheels. Add standard amenities like CD sound with a 288 digital amplifier and six Boston Acoustics speakers, premium leather-trimmed eight-way power driver's and six-way passenger seats, remote keyless entry, and more, and you'll wonder what more anybody could want. That's until you see options like SIRIUS Satellite Radio, UConnect(TM) hands-free communication, a late availability trailer-towing group and more.HEMI and Magnum are registered trademarks of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.(C) 2003 SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Inc. " - Dodge web site

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Waiting (patiently) for an opportunity to see one in the flesh / metal / plastic/ leather / rubber . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    and was pretty impressed. There was a 300 on display at the DC auto show, and there was a Magnum wagon at the Carlisle PA Mopar show this past summer. Kind of an interesting contrast, but when they were packing up at the end of the show, they loaded the Magnum onto a covered tractor trailer with a couple of '55 and '56 DeSotos!

Maybe it was kind of fitting, after all. The new Mopar Hemi comes out to 345 CID, which was a DeSoto displacement!
  • Options
    Afternoon... I just visited the Dodge.com site and was able to spec out a Magnum (and a 300 at the Chrysler site) using their "Build and Price" feature. I think Ray picked up on this as well... Hey emale--looks like our rabble-rouser is alive and well in the Intrepid board.
  • Options
    jason5,

yeah...i hear ya!

i basically have decided to ignore the idiots out there!!
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    "I figured they would've added more weight than that though, considering that the car's RWD..."

Shows that perceptions linger long. RWD doesn't mean 1974 era, 5000 pound, 10 mpg boats.

German luxury makes never switched to RWD. In fact, if you ask an average BMW driver, they would probably have no clue that they have it. If BMW can sell cars in the NE, certainly lesser makes deserve a chance to sell something different.
  • Options
    RWD tends to add weight anyway, since the transmission and differential are two separate pieces, instead of merged as one transaxle. Plus, you have a driveshaft, and the rear suspension/axles are going to be beefier, since all the power is now going through them. And I'd imagine even the brakes back there (not just the pads but the rotors, calipers, everything) is going to be beefier, since the rear brakes now have more work to do in stopping a RWD car. Still, it's not a given that FWD is going to save weight, either, depending on how it's designed? Can we say "1976 Eldorado?" ;-)

As for weight, if anything, cars of today, given their size, are actually porkier than they were in the 70's! For example, something the size of these new LX cars, in the 70's, would've definitely been a compact. But in weight, it's about on par with a pre-downsizing 70's midsize, maybe even some entry-level full-sizers!

Of course, most of that weight increase is due to better stiffening and bracing, more standard equipment, safety regs, etc, so it's not necessarily a bad thing!
  • Options
    nb2169nb2169 Member Posts: 35
    Hi Everyone,
                I have a question regarding the multi-displacement V-8 engine that is supposed to go in these LX models. Will there be a way to disable this feature? I am old enough to remember when Cadillac tried this technology in the 80's and it was an unmitigated disaster. The resale value of those vehicles was next to nothing. It would be nice to have a choice regarding this feature.
    Thanks,
           nb2169
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    hey that was in the 80's
  • Options
    rrocketrrocket Member Posts: 2
    On Dodge's very own web-page, it claims the 340HP Magnum runs "At 0-60 in about 7 seconds ". In about 7 seconds is greather than 6.5...so this car isn't terribly fast, and I'm dissappointed. I was hoping for a fast car to replace my 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII. The Mark does 0-60 faster than that. And with 50 fewer horsepower to boot. I sure hope Dodge has underestimated their own car figure intentionally. (sandbagging!) But I guess we'll have to see in an "official" test. I had high hopes, but am somewhat turned off now. Maybe a G35 for me then?
  • Options
    was 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, and that was from some Chrysler promotional material, so I don't know who is right. I hope it's better than 7 seconds, though!