Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW Z4

124»

Comments

• anijhawanijhaw Member Posts: 24
    I am looking at an out of state 2005 Z4 at carmax. They can't seem to determine if it has bluetooth or not. I have pictures on the interior, dashboard, and steering wheel.

Is there a particular button on the steering wheel or stereo that would confirm whether it has bluetooth?
  • stokystoky Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when we can expect BMW to make drastic changes to the Z4. I have heard through rumors (searching google) that a new Z4 can be expected in 2009 or 2010. Is there any truth to this? Doesn't BMW do model changes every 7 years or so, which would be on target to that 2009/2010 date.
  • danjakubikdanjakubik Member Posts: 1
    Hello!

I'm considering purchasing a used BMW Z3 (1997-1999). I test drove a 2.5L 1998 Z3 and liked the ride and handling very much. What kind of repair and maintenance costs is the Z3 known for? Are parts for the Z3 made here or only in Germany?
    I've researched the Z3 and know it's praised for it's ride and handling. The interior quality is a little lacking, so there will probably be more interior maintenance costs for this car. With snow tires, how does the Z3 handle on wet or snowy roads? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
  • jlettie2jlettie2 Member Posts: 14
    I am planning to purchase either a 2004 or 2005 Z-4. I do not like the run flats. They are dangerous and I know two people who had flat tires with a vehicle with installed run flats. The tires do not stay inflated for 50 miles as the tire manufactures claim. The damaged tires stays inflated for about 10-15 miles and runs ;) completely flat damaging the rim.You must purchase a new tire and a rim at a cost of $700.00. I would like to know if any owner of a Z-4 changed there tires to regular seasonal tires? Will the Z-4 accept a compact spare in the trunk? What size type tire and rim for the compact spare? I know you must use a scissor type jack. Tried 3 dealerships and BMW USA never received an answer. One dealer stated if a Z-4 owner put regular tires on the car it will damage the suspension and void any warranty. I think this statement is bull. I would appreciate a reply. My E-mail jlettie@comcast.net. Thanks
  • rashelmrashelm Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any issues with the transmission making a knocking noise? It doesn't do it all the time - of course it doesn't do it when I take it in to have a mechanic look at it. Wondering if anyone had the same issues.
  • ramuramu Member Posts: 1
    I had left my car in the garage for about 35 days as I was outside the country. Upon my return I had to charge the batteries. The batteries are now fully charged but the car does not react to the accelerator. Makes a funny choking / knocking sound and the ride is very bumpy on the second gear. Not sure what to do?

Any suggestion to at least make it to the dealer.
  • psambuccipsambucci Member Posts: 3
    Have you contacted BMW? Maybe the gas tank has water in it.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    To anyone who considered getting a Saturn Sky Red Line model, but bought a Z4 instead...

Check out the 08 Saturn Sky Edmunds.com forums....evidently, there are MAJOR issues with the brakes on these cars, or maybe I should say "lack of brakes". There are already over 40 complaints registered on NHTSA'a web-site about brake failure.

I'm glad I got a Z4 instead!
  • beverleybbeverleyb Member Posts: 2
    ">I have a 2007 Z4 3.0i. In the 18 months I have owned the car, it has been in the dealership for 53+ days for the same problem: a faulty engine warning light. According to the dealership, they have tried every fix in the book at least twice. I have also had faulty airbag warning lights, a driver-side window that goes up and down of its own accord, and wipers that "click" - an inherent design flaw, I'm told by the dealer.

It has taken us almost a year to get BMW to come to the table to discuss a resolution (we meet next week). I'm told that their position on this is to work on the car "for as long as it takes," an unsatisfactory resolution and exploitation of their warranty in light of the expense and incredible inconvenience to date.

Has anyone else had similar problems with their Z4?

PS: An acquaintance's husband owned a 2007 Z4 that set itself on fire as he was driving, and it incinerated itself just after he managed to stop the car and escape. It was so badly burned, they couldn't determine what the problem was. Be forewarned.
    I also have an 07 Z4 (Coupe), and have experienced no such issues or problems. I had a minor squeak, which my dealer fixed during the first oilchange.

Sounds like you got a lemon, alright.

However, I have not heard of or read about any fire related issues on the Z4...

One question...have you tried another dealer for repairs? With that much time in the shop, have you explored the Lemon Laws in your state?
  • beverleybbeverleyb Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks for your response. Your suggestion regarding the Lemon Laws here was excellent. Unfortunately, Canada (I'm in British Columbia) does not have a Lemon Law (sigh). We DO have CAMVAP (Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan) which covers most cars, light trucks, sport utes and vans bought or leased.

Notably, only two auto manufacturers opted out of the program: BMW and Mitsubishi. Interesting...

I love the car (my third BMW) but am done with BMW based on this experience. I'm looking at the new Audi TT.

Thanks again for taking the time to resond.

Beverley
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,425
    If you think BMW is bad...just wait until there's a problem with your AUDI :confuse:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Good luck...I hope you get some satisfaction in the end....
  • esfoadesfoad Member Posts: 210
    I'm a Canadian living in NJ so I feel your pain. We have an 07 Z4 3.0Si with 10K miles and so far no issues. Sorry for your problems and I hope BMW steps up and resolves your issue.
  • crossfireman3crossfireman3 Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I am a college student looking into buying a used Z4 (03-05). Currently, I have a mustang but I'm ready for a change. If you would answer my questions below, I would greatly appreciate it.
    1. How much does it usually cost to fill up the gas tank at todays current gas prices--$4.00/ gallon?
    2. How many gallons of gas does the Z4 hold?
    3. Is it very expensive to take this car to the shop for maintenance, oil changes, etc? Since this is a foreign car, would the techs at Wal-Mart do an oil change or do you have to take it to a BMW dealer?
    4. Are there really alot of blind spots? Are they easy to get used to?
    6. Is it a practical car for a college student who doesn't want to spend alot of money on a car (pmts and up keep)?

Any answer to these questions will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing your responses
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    My mom owns a 2.5 z4.

1~$50
    2. Supposed o be ~14 but only about 9-10 gallons go in
    3. Our BMW dealer charged $200 for an oil change. If anything, buy bmws oil and filter and find some place to change it.

4. When I drive(6'1"), no blind spots. A tiny one on the left, but a slight twist of body erases it.

5.... see above

6. Its my mom's only car and she has no problem. Sadly,, the cost of tires alone keeps me from saying college student practical. Thats any roadster. For now, i recommend a small sedan or hatch or coupe. IMO, a mini cooper hatch would be somewhat better for you. Its large sunroof is almost like a convertible and it is cheaper to insure. Also better mpg. My mom averages 21-22mpg in her z4, but she babies it. No speeding, no fast take offs, ect. She drives it like a prius. Me OTOH, i drive it like a bmw and get 17-18mpg. A mini gets much more.

Also mini has space for 2 rear people and they also get a sunroof. Also cargo space if you fold down rear seats is much better than a z4. Mini is made by bmw too! It would be a much better choice for a college student.

-Cj
  • jzimmermanjzimmerman Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

A Z4 is a nice car, (but just a car. has good styling, power, handling, and safety).
    The only difference between a $100,000 car and a Kia are the way people look at you. Stay tuned to your studies and make real friends; not friends who are in love with things more than people. I've learned alot since I've owned a Z4. Buy a Mazda
    3, or a Honda, or a 2 year old Z4.
  • lpapadopouloslpapadopoulos Member Posts: 2
    I have been told by word of mouth that the Z4 2004 has a problem taking in water through the seal in the Left Rear Side. At the moment, because of the water leak, my amp burned out and my motor for the top has been burned. I have been told that the bag that seals the motor is not water tight? Can this be true?

Does anyone one where i can find literature regarding this common defect so I can slap it into BMW face when I see them?
  • lpapadopouloslpapadopoulos Member Posts: 2
    I have been told by word of mouth that the Z4 2004 has a problem taking in water through the seal in the Left Rear Side. At the moment, because of the water leak, my amp burned out and my motor for the top has been burned. I have been told that the bag that seals the motor is not water tight? Can this be true?

Does anyone one where i can find literature regarding this common defect so I can slap it into BMW face when I see them?

There is no current Recall regarding this issue, as far as I have seen online.

Thank you, Lee.
  • poodlefakirpoodlefakir Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone else bothered by the low gears in the Z4? I'm reving 3.5Krpm on the freeway just to do 70mph to keep up with traffik. Was wondering if anyone had tried taller tires???? Or any other ideas? Just rev her?
    I need a 6 spd tranny! Or maybe change out the rear end. Probably spendy...
    Thanks!
  • bod2bod2 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Z4 new in November, 2002 - just before BMW started its "Land Shark" commercials that introduced the vehicle. For the most part, I've loved the car. BUT starting last spring, I first noticed that the trunk would get wet after rains. I finally got it back to the dealer in time to replace the amplifier AND the motor for the top since both items had shorted out. The warranty had just expired, so I was out over $4K. I thought the problem with the wet trunk was fixed, but that problem came right back. Took the car to an independent mechanic who I trusted, and thought the problem was fixed. He did mention something about leaking through the taillight(?). I thought it was fixed last summer, but now (spring, 2009) the trunk is wet again.
    Has anyone else had this problem?
  • robgskirobgski Member Posts: 1
    Yes! I have a 2003 Z4, and this year for the first time, I also have a leak in my trunk, and had to replace the fried amp and other wiring for a lot of money (not covered by my extended warranty because of water damage. Unfortunately, it is still leaking and the dealer is baffled. The little well in the rear trunk driver's side fills up totally with water when it rains, and then the entire carpet gets saturated, dripping water into the electronics bin under the trunk mat. Today a convertible top guy is looking at it. Wonder how widespread this issue is...
  • mukkbomukkbo Member Posts: 2
    hi..
    I'm having the same problem
    recently with all these rain in CA, My trunk leaked water into the battery /AMP compartment and burned out my AMP.
    Did the dealer take any responsibility for it or did u have to fix it out of your pocket?
    As of now, my warranty has expired.

also, was it just the amp that you had to replace or did it affect any of the wires/ connection for the audio system?
  • mukkbomukkbo Member Posts: 2
    hi..
    I'm having the same problem
    recently with all these rain in CA, My trunk leaked water into the battery /AMP compartment and burned out my AMP.
    Did the dealer take any responsibility for it or did u have to fix it out of your pocket?
    As of now, my warranty has expired.

also, was it just the amp that you had to replace or did it affect any of the wires/ connection for the audio system?
  • ldugganlduggan Member Posts: 1
    I havb a 2004 Z4 currently in the shop for this very problem, a burned out amp and probably the convertible top motor because of water in the trunk and battery well. The problem was discovered when the audio system quit working and 3 days later the car would not start. Guessing it was might be a fuse and the battery, I discovered 1 /12 inches of water in the well area of the trunk which stores the battery and the amp. I've given the ok for the amp to be replaced but now I'm second guessing that decission if the problem will reoccur. The speculation is rain water through the rear tail light. Also it was suggested that the small drain in the convertible top's well, where it folds down, is clogged giving the water no where to go but in the trunk. Neither has been confirmed as the cause for the water.
  • cliff23cliff23 Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2005 Z-4 with the sports package (18" wheels). Love it! But, what is the most quiet, smoothest tire I can replace the original Bridgestone Run flats with, to achieve the most comfortable ride?
    mokkbo - I had the same set of problems with my 2003 Z4, and had to replace the amp twice, and the battery at least once while the local BMW dealer fiddled with water in the trunk. Various remedies were performed - replacing the rear tail light, cleaning out the drain - but the problem wasn't solved until the roof was replaced(!). After incurring several thousand dollars in costs (the amps alone were over $1000 each), they did the roof for free.

That was about three years ago. My concern is that I recently found water in the well again. In posts on other blogs, I've found other Z4 owners with the same problem. Sounds like a design flaw to me. Time for a class action suit?

Let me know if your situation has been resolved, and if so, how.
  • thecmccthecmcc Member Posts: 1
    I also own a 2004 Z4. After Hurricane Irene and the rains it brought, upon opening the trunk, was startled to see a pool of water in the well over the left rear tire. My insurance adjuster said I needed to get new seals for my trunk or convertible top. It appears you are suggesting to skip the preliminaries and seek a new top for the car. Are there other options?
    First, are you wanting to keep RFT's or move towards GFT's?

Without knowing that, its very difficult to know what to suggest for you.

But, I also have Bridgestone "rocks" on my 2007 Z4 Coupe, so I understand exactly where you are coming from...
    Thanks for your reply. Great question. I guess I would like a suggestion for both. From what I have read in general, any GFT will be smoother, quieter, etc. than any RFT. Therefore I "lean" toward info on an RFT on the remote chance of a flat. My 05' Z-4 had about 40k on it when I purchased it and is not due for any type of service for another 1.5k. I think I have all of 2k on it in the two years I have had it. I infer from the millage some state on tire life that; the original owner replaced the tires with the same Bridgestone "rocks" while they had it. The tread looks very good and "Tire Rack" says not to worry unless some cracking can be ascertained and/or replace after X amont of years reguardless. I like to drive at a reasonably high speed when it is safe to do so and am not one who is prone to per se: test the cars limits. Tire Rack says the new generation Bridgestone RFT's are much more improved but I have not read anywhere so far something that qualifies it to a degree that I can interpret. I love my Z-4 (the previous owner kept the car in excellent condition) and would probably drive it for longer distances given the tire consideration.
    I have Bridgestones on my 2007 BMW Z4 coupe, and it has ridden stiffly from day one, and I have a 2010 328i running Michelin Pilot Sports, which rides much more like a performance-oriented driver's car.

All RFT's and same sized tires (the front and rear sizes on both cars are different tire sizes).

If possible, I would suggest you go by by a BMW dealer and find a similar car with the tire type you are considering buying, and taking a test drive. Maybe that can give you some clarity and insight on whats best foy your requirements...
    Thanks for your reply. Interesting your comment: It is one of the things I was thinking of doing. When you say "performance-oriented" concerning the Michelin Pilot Sports on your 328i, are you saying also smoother, quieter, etc.?
    No doubt about it, the Michelins are smoother and quieter, at least , at this stage.
  • joaniekjoaniek Member Posts: 1
    I just recently had this same problem. This was my Dad's car, meticulously maintained and garaged since purchased, very frustrated, and sad. It's all I have from him, and don't want to have to sell it, but $1,000 for an amp is way out of my price range! I found out that there was a clog on the drivers side of the roof drain, into the trunk (hence the cause of the water in battery compartment) Replaced battery, filled hydraulic fluid, removed amp (causing the battery to drain), now looking for replacement amp. Class action lawsuit sounds right to me, any update?
    In short, I don't have a solution yet. But I haven't spent much time on the problem. On clear days, I've just left the trunk open to let the battery/amp compartment air dry. On rainy days (I don't garage the vehicle) I haven't noticed any additional accumulation of water, but I'm sure that there must be water still leaking into the trunk. I might pull the amp and battery today to look in the compartment, but the amp is starting to fail - not getting much output from the speakers. I'm reluctant to just pull the the amp, partly out of fear that the battery will drain. Was that your experience? Is there a way to avoid that from happening? I've checked a few blogs, and it seems our experience with water in the trunk is common. Wonder if that's why the new Z4's only come with hard top convertibles. I've looked for replacement amps, but haven't found an aftermarket amp that I want to shell out several hundred dollars on. Ultimately, I'm afraid I may have to take it back to the dealer and prepare to get hosed.
  • old_joeold_joe Member Posts: 1
    Same problem Z4 2003.
    (Had it out on the street, big rain, but I did not realize what the issue was)
    Lost radio, then the whole thing died.
    A day later, it worked.
    A couple of days later, radio died again.
    Then the car died for good.
    Figured out it was the amplifier, trunk carpet was wet.
    Opened up the battery compartment, FULL of water.
    Battery dead, amplifier corroded/dead.
    New (non-BMW battery)
    Had to order amplifier from dealer about $500
    All works now, only park in car port.
    No top motor problems.

I thought it was the trunk drain, which I did not work on, too complicated.
    News about possible (?) convertible top is NOT good.
    Luckily, I have extended warranty which supposedly covers the top and motor and electronics.
    But this happened like a year ago.
    What do I tell the dealer?
    Not Good.
  • foxie1foxie1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen to me. Can you tell me where you got the amp for about $500. The cheapest I can find so far is $915.

thank you
  • blicksroadkingblicksroadking Member Posts: 1
    When I turn the key to the on position there are only one or two lights that come on and when I turn to the start position there is no start. I can "play" with the key and the car starts. This only happens intermittenly. Now I also am getting the car started and then it stalls as soon as I put it in Reverse. If I put it in Drive quickly it doesn't stall. It stalls if I put it in R from D. I am guessing that it could be a key switch or computer. Anybody experience this?
  • reidlavalleereidlavallee Member Posts: 3
    Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problem that I have had withmy 2003 Z4. I too have a leak from the roof, but mine doesnt go into the battery area of the truck. Mine has flooded out the passenger side of the floor boards. It isn't pretty. I did have to replace a power top about a year ago, but my big problem now is the air bag controller. One is placed on the floor under the carpet. When I found the problem, I had about 1/2 inch of water under the seat(nothing on the driver's side). Everything is coroded under the seat. Just replacing the controller didn't help. It was immediately fried when the power was turned back on. The repairman recommends bringing it to the dealer for repairs. It sounds like most of the wiring that goes through the floor any any electronic components in that area will need to be replaced. SOunds like big money to me. My repair guy who focuses on German and Italian sports cars doesn't want to give me a quote. Has anyone else had any similar problems? The car never sees any water anymore and my repair guy did dry everything out, so the problem shouldn't get worse after the final repairs. Im just trying to see if anyone can share their similiar experiences.
  • bogey16bogey16 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All. First time on here. Have had the same trunk issue as most here. 2004 Z4. Amp has just died. Sponged water out of compartment area. Does anyone know what is below the battery/amp area? Wondering about drilling my own drain plug or two, to ensure this doesn't keep happening. Thoughts?
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    Reidlavallee, I am sorry that this has happened to you. I suggest that you pressure BMW to repair the car, i.e., to bring it to the condition before the flooding started. This will likely include repairing it in their service, which I think is even better than repairing it at non-BMW shops. Of course, it is likely that BMW will try to do whatever it will take them off the hook, so maybe you should start thinking about legal representation as well. I wish you luck as well.