Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy 4th door Ext. Cab

jamie1985jamie1985 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Does anybody know when Chevy plans to introduce a
4th door for their ext. cab???? I don't want rumors
or speculation. I already get that at the
dealer!!!! :-)

Comments

• RichinKsRichinKs Member Posts: 412
    A fourth door is an option on the 2000 models. The bad news is they will not start making them till December. Dealers still don't have prices for the 2000's although it is tobe a modest increase. I have two dealers who gave me this same info. Neither seemed to anxious to take an order until they get more information. Apparently its unclear if the four doors will start production in December or shipping in December. ...... Rich
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Carwizard.com shows the 4th. doors as options...but I think December is the ticket..for 1/2 tons at least....3/4's are always one step behind!

Unless you have an entire Brady Bunch of your own..don't worry about the 4th. door...people get so worked up about something they may use harly ever...

I'm coming from a mostly one passenger/no kids standpoint here...so if you have kids..perhaps it is more important to you.

So often people get worked up in Door decisons..that they never even look into other issues. The world got along just fine before vans had two sliding doors and trucks had 3 or 4 doors.

I'll shut up now

Good luck
  • akjbmwakjbmw Member Posts: 231
    Given the concept that I am usually the only occupant of my vehicle and carry a “junk” bag that, like women’s purses, always has more than is necessary in it. It gets put into the passenger seat, or the drivers seat gets tipped forward for placement of the bag into the area behind the drivers’ seat. Yes, we have been using this method for quite a long time. However... I would choose the one hand operation of the fourth door if the option was there. Especially in light of having to “swing” the bag up and in as I climbed up into the wonderfully lofty world of 4x4 truckdom.

Have a nice fourth (of July) too.
    OK..How about just a Driver's side 3rd door??....coming soon??

And you have a good day before the Holiday..(The 3rd.)
    Don't assume everyone uses a truck as you do. There is just me and my wife and we are getting a 4th door. We carry groceries in the back seat and cannot get them out on the passengers side in our garage. Have you ever tried vaccumning the back seat of a z71 with 3 doors? Have you ever had the 3rd door blocked by a car to close in a parking lot? And I imagine other 4 door folks have other reasons that I don't care about. Bottom line is Chevy dropped the ball on this one issue of the new silverado. They made it for just one customer type, you. Rich
    Rich,

I'm not here to start a war....I just state my opinion...am I not entitled to that??

If you want a Weak cab truck...that's every bit your right...I'm stating that I don't need a 4th. Seems kinda silly to me to base a 30K purchase on weather it has a 4th. door or not?

Again...that's my view...What this whole system is for..sharing opinions and Ideas..

Enjoy either way you go..

Tim
    Rich,

I want to take back that weak cab comment. I shouldn't have said that...

When Chevy does come out with a 4th. door...They will have solved that problem...probably one of the reasons they have waited.

Chevy isn't always first with idea's...but I'm glad..They don't have as many Re-calls as ford does.

So they ain't got a 4 door or a V-10...but when they do...Of course it will be the best

Enjoy

Tim
    I don't object to your opinion as to why you think three doors is enough. Its just you came across as telling us everyone else should only need three doors too. And that was my point, we all have different reasons and needs for a vehicle we purchase. But I think we do agree on the Silverado being better than ford and dodge for our own reasons. But that is why I havn't bought a ford or dodge. But it is frustrating waiting for Chevy to get it in gear. I am not alone in wanting a four door, and give dodge and ford credit for seeing what many of the buying public wants. If the door from your home into your garage was on the drivers side you might see my point of view. I own a 97 z71 and it has been the one big pain of this vehicle getting stuff in and out of the back seat. Even a third door on the drivers side would be much better. But if your access to your home or apartment is on the passenger side I could see how it wouldn't be a big deal. But why not put a door on both sides to satisfy all you potential customers. And it is a big deal to spend $30k on a vehicle that is not easy to access. ...... Rich
    Rich,

I hear ya boss.

I don't like the 3rd door on the passenger side..due to the fact that most of my trips are just me.....Should be on the Drivers....But someone said the Passenger theory is safer..Due to the fact that kids could get in on the Curb side of the truck..makes sense
    Why are s-10's the drivers side?
    It would be great if they had 2,4,3 right,and 3 left options...but now we are getting kinda silly here....
    All around...I suppose 4 is the best option..(there...I said it)..hehehehe

I just have this thing for control and firmness...and all the tests I have seen or read about Dodge and Ford 4 doors..are sloshy handling or supposed weak roof?

Someday soon there will be no option..4 or 2...ya think?
    Perhaps not...we shall see..
    I noticed on some sites it's called a Pass. side 4th. door option...does that mean the 3rd. will be on the drivers??
    Perhaps we can both get our cake and eat it too!!

I understand your viewpoint.
    I have had experience with others friends Ext.cabs..and even borrowed one for a while.
    My truck is a regular cab..so if you have had an extended cab for a few years..maybe you know more situations that I do where that 4th. comes in..

Perhaps I'll find out too...

I'll keep you posted how the 3 door works for me
    I think I'm right...but ya never know

Happy 4th.....(and 3rd.)

Tim
    Wouldn't it be funny if 6 months after this...I was bitchin' about needing a 4th. door??..hehehehee

Damn cars...
    Oh well...what ya gonna do??..walk everywhere?

Later

Tim
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    And here's a perspective you "tall" guys may not have thought of - I CANNOT reach across the back seat of my truck! Having four doors means I can access the entire interior, without climbing up inside and crawling across the seat (not fun while wearing a skirt). Four doors means loading for a camping trip or ANY type of loading is a breeze. And I don't have to mess up my seat adjustment by tilting it forward.
    My salesman says his rep was in and confirmed the December rumor for the fourth door..... However he also said they don't even have a Mold/Die at all for it yet...and not to be surprised if the December date becomes more like Mid 2000..(the actual year..Not Model year)..before it's really in place.

Looks like some people are going to waiting a lot more than they would like. But still Hold out...The Chevy is always worth the wait!

On a brighter note..(for me)..My 2000 3/4 LT will be one of the first 2000's delivered to the Metro Detroit Area in about less than a month...3 doors..which is fine by me for now....I ain't got no more patience!

Good Luck!
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    mgdvhman... Congratulations on the new pickup. Was your dealer able to tell you the new pricing, new colors, options, changes for the 2000 model? I haven't been able to find anyone with that sort of information out here on the West Coast.
    I had a 99 on Order since March...it got canceled do to too many orders....start of June it was re-ordered as a 2000...Have no clue what new prices are...maybe a few hundred more?....If any new options or colors are coming??.have no idea...I know Black will always be available...would like to have two tone in an LT though....oh well...next truck.
    So actually I don't know if the dealer has info or not??....when it was re-ordered we just ordered the same truck...a few weeks later he had an order number..so maybe then something was in place for 2000 models??.....The week of August 2nd. will be the 3rd week of 2000 production..for 3/4's at least...I know lot's of people in this field..and had some favors to use...so that's why I'll have mine soon

I've heard lots of stories about delaers not wanting to order 2000's ...especially 3/4's...don't know why??...all I can say is...Hound the salesman as much as possible...and waste no time...not even a few days..get an order in...it's gonna be ugly for this Model year too!

Good luck Man
    It was also a GM discount order...so maybe the re-order was only for canceled orders and/or GM discount buyers??..

Wish I had answers...all I know for sure is Mine is coming soon.

Tim
    I was at the dealer today (Michigan) and he had 2000 pricing in his system. Base price for a 3/4 LT Ext.cab went up $136. All the options appear to be the same prices.
    Thanks, buddy. I will check again this weekend with my dealer.
    Also, the August issues of the car magazines ought to be out any day now and they might have some comments about any changes on the 2000 models.
    I'll have to hit the newstands and pick a few up.

Thanks
  • cfunkcfunk Member Posts: 13
    I wouldn't hold your breath on the mags having current info. Remember they are written 2-3 months BEFORE the actual publish month. The info in the August issue is May - June old.

-funk
    Never got around to it anyway..

Thanks

Tim

The real thing will be built tomorrow for me anyway.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Member Posts: 594
    I have a dodge quad cab and use the drivers side rear door daily. I use it mostly to access the rear for storage. No sloshy body, no squeaks or rattles, no poor handling on or off road, and its quiet. If CHEVY is having problems here I would be very wary of thier unit until has been out for a while.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    Ok i heard a dealer tell me the 4th door is an option that is gonna cost between $500- $700 starting with the late model 2000's because the strike last yr dampened thier plans on making it for the 99's. Thats my 2 sense hope it helps a bit personally i think 3 doors is enough.
    3 doors is plenty....if it was on the Drivers side!....the new 4th door will be on passengers side....so next truck for me will be a 3 door drivers side i guess?
  • svarelasvarela Member Posts: 3
    Has it been confirmed that the standard third door will be on the Drivers side? It seems GM knows that this is thereal need and can make a buck making it the optional one.
    It's called an optional Pass.side 4th door....so that would mean #3 is on the drivers.
    Tim, yes I saw that too. But its got to be a typo. Afterall, your truck has the third door on the passengers side doesn't it? I cann't imaging they would switch sides in the middle of a model year for the standard 3rd door. It goes against all Chevy stands for. The little trucks on the drivers side for packages and the big trucks on the passenger side for passangers. Time will tell. Rich
    I'm just telling ya how I understand it?

Maybe it is a typo.

I know one thing for sure though.....I have a 3rd door on the passenger side for 2 years.

Good luck with yours....I have a feeling that if you use the new truck for the trip...it's going to be about may/June when you go! Keep in close touch with your dealer...make sure you get an order in the DAY you can order it. if he says 2 weeks...go back in 1 week to make sure it hasn't changed.

- Tim
  • ut00742ut00742 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All:

Good dialog on the fourth door. I just took
    delivery of my 2000 LS 2WD 5.3L Ext Cab last
    week. Since I've got long arms, reaching over
    the seat to store stuff in the back hasn't
    been a problem. But I, like many of you, would
    prefer that GM put the door on the driver's side.

I'm fairly certain that the fourth door tooling
    is completed, but rumor has it here in the automotive circle that GM has experienced some body stiffness problems with the four door layout.
    I think the Y2K four door will be on the streets
    late first quarter next year...GM won't deliver
    a kludge just to get four doors to the market.

As for the options, the fourth door will be available as a passenger option. But for sure, until they work out how to stiffen the body, no one will be driving a four door home.

P.S. to Edmunds...you mention in the listing that the 2000 LS/LT gets standard dimming rearview mirror with temp and compass and heated outside mirrors. My 2000 LS has neither, but is an AWESOME truck nonetheless...an order of magnitude over the 1998 GMC Sonoma (w/driver's third door) that it replaced.
  • wallifishrmnwallifishrmn Member Posts: 11
    Tried to place an order for a 2000 extended cab with the 4th door. Dealer said GM told him they were having structural problems and he wasn't sure if it would be offered at all and at best no earlier than December. Anyone else hearing anything along these lines?
  • soilworkersoilworker Member Posts: 21
    You might like to check out this forum. One of the contributors, Kris Roenigk, works at the GM truck plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

www.truckworld.com/board/Forum1/HTML/000160.html

Gary
  • cr3cr3 Member Posts: 42
    now if gm designed the truck 4 door ready from the get go all the problems would be solved.they did it with the corvette covertible.build the chassie strong from the begining and just make your money later.i personnally dont like to buy bandaides reenforced autos.i just hope in 2010 these new 4 doors are gunna hold up.im sticking with 3 cant wait though its been 3 months & looks like 1 more to go.
  • werkingwerking Member Posts: 431
    I've read some varying posts on the 4th door. For what it's worth, the dealer I talked to (Newsome Chevy in Columbia, SC) said the 4th door extended cab enters production the beginning of October. Additionally, he told me his guess on cost was around $350. My two cents. I hope he's right, cuz I hope to place an order sometime in December or January. Time will tell...
  • bmailbmail Member Posts: 17
    I've gotten a lot of conflicting tales from car salesmen and dealerships. I was contacted yesterday by a salesperson who said that she had
    gotten reliable information for production in October /early November and was willing to take my order. Others won't take orders until they know for sure. Some just don't know. I plan to wait till I see one on the lot.
  • ftpftp Member Posts: 16
    Here is the Florida Scoop.
    Went to my local Chev. dealer today. He said that orders can be taken, however he has not yet received an allocation to place an order.

I then called the highest volume dealer within 50 miles of me. He said he is taking orders now, but that no one will have an allocation until October. So basically, al tleast here in Sunny/Stormy Florida, dealers are taking orders, but holding them until allocations open up in October.

I "placed an order" at my local dealer since the sales tax is 3/4% lower and he also did not require any money down. I am required to come in and put a deposit down when the order is accepted.

BTW, My order: 1500LS Ext.Cab-4dr.,2wd,5.3L,3.73 Locking Diff.,Firm Ride,Trailering Package,Electro ISRV Mirror,Tinted Glass,Fog Lamps,Alum Wheels.
    Exterior-Med Charcoal Grey, Interior-Med Grey Cloth.
    Price: 3% over invoice. So so deal. They were willing to do $500 over on a 3 door, but not a 4 door. 3% over for my truck is $715. I'll still be a happy camper if they get it placed in early October.

This puppy better come in quick, my wife wants to use my (I mean "our") GM dollars to buy the 30th Anniversary Trans Am she sees every day on a nearby lot.
    I placed an order today at a Memphis dealer for a Silverado extended cab 4th door. They said 6 to 8 weeks. I hope they are right. Compared to last week, 3 dealers now say they can take orders . I may have fallen for a great big salesman lie. Anyone else finding out similar information?
  • polaris1polaris1 Member Posts: 10
    I placed a order for a 4 door extended cab on 9/21/99. One thing that seemed odd was that there was no pricing for the E24 fourth door option. Has anyone got actual pricing from GM? I read at Kbb.com that the pricing was $330.
    polaris1
    I found the prices in Kbb.com to be $288.75 invoice and $330.00 MSRP. I had these when I went to the dealer and they were in line with his. I was given a delivery date of 6 to 8 weeks. I was able to get my truck at $360.00 above invoice which I think was pretty good considering we started at $1000 off MSRP. Good Luck.
  • nwigginsnwiggins Member Posts: 1
    I placed an order Friday (24th) for a 4-door Silverado for only $300.00 above invoice. This dealer (Riverton Moters) as well as two others in Utah mentioned that they had received allocation to order five of the 4-door models as soon as they were built - sometime mid October. They speculated that delivery would be around mid to end of November.
  • z71josez71jose Member Posts: 22
    See my post in topic #727.
  • jonesstjonesst Member Posts: 8
    My dealer call today to say he had his allocation for 4-dr 2000 GMC trucks, and was I still interested. I told him I would wait awhile till I could actually see/drive one, and determine if GM had their engine noise and vibration problems solved. I am not convinced that either has yet occurred - even for the Y2K models. I think that the new body style may have some natural resonant frequencies that are in the same range as drivetrain frequencies. They are trying all of these miscellaneous fixes at the dealers: some work (sometime) and some don't...or they work for a while, and then the resonances move a bit and the problem returns. Maybe with the new 4-dr body style, some of the natural freqs. have been moved out of the way...we'll see. Anyway, I'm in no hurry to be a test case for the new body style: I'm going to wait awhile.
  • jkaniajkania Member Posts: 40
    I placed my order today (10/2/99) for a 2000 silverado LT. In his computer it listed the 4th door as N/C (no charge). The base price of the vehicle was up by about $330. I got the truck for $200 over invoice. Now I have to wait for an allocation to the dealer. Hope I get it before Christmas!
  • wnpwnp Member Posts: 2
    My dealer said he got a memo that the frame (for the fourth door) "has not been validated" on the 2500 model. They are building 1500s but not 2500s. He says the scoop is they may ship the 2500s with the fourth door some time after the first half of next year. You lucky 1500 owners, I can't stand it anymore, I'm going ahead and ordering a 2500 3 door tomorrow, sigh. I could have a baby before I got a 2500 with a 4th door.
    the 4th is probably standard on LT's only..
  • jgwickjgwick Member Posts: 1
    the four door 1500 is on display at the Texas State Fair in Dallas along with the 2000 Suburban and Tahoe. The door openings and the back seat are so superior in size/comfort to the competition it would be difficult to choose otherwise. Especially true if you might actually have people ride back there. Looked good and felt good, closed as soled as the other doors on every model. The 2500's did NOT have 4th doors. The Tahoe is a serious improvement over past models in terms of interior design and ergonomics. Looks better, too.
  • djevansdjevans Member Posts: 7
    Talked to a dealer 10/02 who said there would be no fourth door on the 2500`s for the 2000 model and that chevy was only building 80 2500 model trucks per month and there is 8,000 dealers to divide these by. Did make a comment on paying full sticker price for the 99 model he had on the lot. Also indicated no deals will be made on the 2000 models. Here in Calif. it seems like Dodge is the only one who will deal on their trucks.
    2500's were super hard to get in 99..almost as hard in 2000. Although my 2000 is a 3 door....gonna bring real good money in the summer of 2001 when I sell it. Try and find another used 2000 3/4 then!

- It's Good to be the King...
  • dbn7dbn7 Member Posts: 13
    I just ordered (10/01/99) a 2000 4wd ext.cab, 4dr and when crunching the #s the dealer base msrp had increased from my figures of $26146 to 26476 . I saw a 2000 4wd 3dr on the lot w/ base msrp of $26146 (and everything matched the figures from Edmunds)....my dealer said this was a recent price increase and that my figures are off??? On my vehicle detail order form it states: E24 Fourth
    Door * see extended description *.............N/C.
    Does this mean that there is no charge for the door and that the cost is actually being reflected in this price increase???? It was getting late so since we couldnt agree on actual figures paper work was left at " customer to pay $650 over invoice(best I could do). My dealer said this price increase was not due to 4thdr and that my paperwork would need to change when he recvd pricing for my 4th dr option??? ANY info would be greatly appreciated!!!
  • ww00650ww00650 Member Posts: 47
    Pricing for the fourth door still has not been released. Although there has been quite a bit of talk about it being about $288 invoice and $330 MSRP. Notice that the difference in price on your paperwork compared to your dealers paperwork is $330.

Did the dealer add this cost to MSRP in his computer to account for the increase?

I also ordered a 2000 4x4 with E24 (plus other options) on 10/1, and my invoice and MSRP quotes match edmunds exactly. (dealer gave me the inovice sheet.) The description says the same thing.
  • polaris1polaris1 Member Posts: 10
    I ordered my 2000 Chevy extended cab on 9/21/99 with the fourth door. Dealer called today said that build date was 12/6/99.
This discussion has been closed.