Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• bmartinpebmartinpe Member Posts: 51
    When I inquired today about an extended service contract for my Liberty, I was told that the non-Chrysler underwriter would not cover the EGR valve. The EGR valve was part of the emissions warranty, and therefore excluded from the extended warranty that this DCX dealer recommended.

To extend the warranty to 7/100,000 on Chrysler's Max-Care plan with no deductible will cost me something over $3,000, or about 15% of the original cost of the vehicle.

"These are the times to try men's souls." --Thomas Paine, Patriot
    Interesting that the buzz on the Grand Cherokee diesel is non-existent. I remember that this discussion on the diesel Liberty first posted in March, 2003 and accumulated over 500 posts before the first vehicles were delivered early in 2005.On the GC side there are only 3, count 'em, 3 posts for the diesel version.

I saw my first diesel GC on a dealer's lot the other day. It was situated way to the rear of the lot, and sticker priced in the neighborhood of $48,000. That's over twice as much as I paid for my Liberty CRD.
  • 05crdjeep05crdjeep Member Posts: 59
    I just installed the entire selection of Mopar skid plates. The Limited I have came with the one plate in the front. I ordered three more, one for the fuel tank, one for the transfer case and another for under the transmission. The three of them were right about $200. Installation was fairly easy with all the holes already there. The fasteners were an interesting insert that deformed to fit the hole and gives you some threads to bolt to.

If anyone has thought about adding them, I'd recommend the OEM plates because of ease of installation. I have an air wrench that made the install a snap. You need a torque wrench to snug them to specific pound feet of snugness.

It was also a fun project.
    We are leaving MN in a couple of days for three days in Death Valley and four days in Yosemite, hoping to find some places to put some scratches into the skid plates!

I have not had any problems to report, knock on wood.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    bmartinpe: By first glance I would say you have the legal discription of a Lemon Law vehicle. I would call DCX custome care line at 800 992 1997 and ask for them to consider a buy back. Our CRd was in the shop 25 times, but never overnight.DCX called us asking us to consider a buy back. By what my service thec. said DCX is buying a number of these back.
    There is a reason these EGR's are needing replacement. They have to find the cause instead of just replacing the same part over and over. 6 EGR's is just plane stupid, there has to be a cause.

farpit
  • bravo6bravo6 Member Posts: 2
    I well know of the "looks" as you back up or drive off and this new jeep is making all of this noise! :blush:
    You won't get any argument out of me on this point. I am coming to the opinion that as designed and built, my Liberty will not pass emissions testing on a consistent basis year over year. As a matter of fact, when I was ready to relicense the vehicle last September, the engine light came on. We replaced the EGR, and I immediately took it to the testing station. After waiting and idling for over 45 minutes the light came on again as I pulled into the testing bay. That particular EGR didn't even give me 20 miles of service. The EGR warranty is for 3/36000, but I haven't gotten the first 36000 miles out of one yet. Ah but I do enjoy listening to that diesel hum along!

P.S. Farout, I'd like to meet you sometime. I think you may have attended the same church as I do. Reply to me offlist: bill@martinstation.com
  • steve05steve05 Member Posts: 52
    Jeez, for some reason I have it in my head that the emissions system is warranteed for 100,000 miles by federal mandate. I'll google that here in a minute and see.
  • steve05steve05 Member Posts: 52
    24/24000 mi for the egr stuff, 8 years and 80k miles for the ECU and OBD stuff. Good link: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt
  • roathd1roathd1 Member Posts: 4
    I would like to comment on the fuel mileage. I have 2005 CRD and today I got 29mpg on a flat road, outside temp 86 degrees, average speed 65 miles per hour. Normally I average 24-26mpg and commute daily about 110 to and from work on the German autobahn. The warmer the outside temp the better my mileage. I also think from other comments on this forum that the US spec fuels are the cause for allot of the problems in the states for the CRD. I have 33000 miles on my Jeep and only had regular service done the two recalls, (ball joints/Flash Computer) but none of the other problems. I did have the right rear brake caliper replaced due to dragging but overall it has been a great vehicle.

DR
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Does any body have done the ORM? Well after me thinking about it i did it and the first day the engine radle some but boy after the third day the engine work like a sowing machine. I clean the map before i did it. It is smooth, power at take off increase and i get about 2 to 3 mpg better than before. The cell light is on but the result is well worth it. please let me know if you guys have do it and what could happen.

Nescosmo.
  • campymancampyman Member Posts: 13
    I am a diesel enthusiast and used to own a dodge 2500 4x4, am about to purchase new vehical and want to know what you guys think of the lib diesel. Would yall purchase another ect.
  • synlubessynlubes Member Posts: 184
    go for it you can make sum good byes out there now and the forum guys are working out the few problems
    campyman: I would look very, very deeply into how much it costs to keep the warranty inforce, and the many recalls that have been done, and this CRD engine is not designed to use anything above B-5.
    Our CRD was in the shop 25 times, DCX bought it back from us. I am not the only one DCX has bought back their CRD. You either get a great one or a CRd with problems that never stop.
    In fairness there is always a number of vehicles in any production that are faulty. The majority of CRD's on this forum have had good experiences with their CRD.

farout
  • hamchamphamchamp Member Posts: 33
    Campyman,Just had DCX involved with a replacement vehicle. They did fix it, but took them 110 days to repair the F-37. Just thought I'd tell you my experience. Hamchamp.
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    Its been a love and hate relationship. egr, egr, balljoints, egr, tranny, egr vs good economy, power, 4x4, towing and generally like it. :confuse: overall if I could find a brand new leftover CRD yes I would buy it but only in new untitled condition.
    farout: Would you be able to describe how DCX treated you? Did you do an exchange or buyout? Mileage charge? What else to expect? :sick:
  • winter2winter2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I have a 2005 CRD and am quite pleased with it. With a bit more than 20K miles on it, it has not been perfect, but then nothing is. Except for a couple of recalls and two or three brief visits to the shop, I am as I stated previously, quite pleased.

Would I purchase another one? My answer is, in half a heartbeat.
    campyman: Post 9111 was meant for you, I will learn to do this right!
  • zoomy2zoomy2 Member Posts: 50
    Auto Trader has 284 of them listed both 05 & 06 models. Just check them well for serivce history (documented) and recalls.

I have 43,000 on mine, winter diesel averages 24.2 and summer diesel is 26.2 mpg.

Have the dealer change the rires if is has the Goodyear ST's.

I have been thinking buying a second one. :shades:
  • tjm3472tjm3472 Member Posts: 11
    Love my 2006 Sport, over 30K miles and average 23 mpg city/highway using B20. Still have the original EGR valve. :shades:
    coolrider: The Customer Care center asked if they could have the higher up person look at my file as this seemed too many problems. From there a manager said they were refering it to DCX headquarters. In three days the DCX manager said he would like to suggest a buy back. Then the zone rep called and the service amnager told the zone rep. he did not want this CRD back in the shop. Fronm the time the DCX manager told me he was suggesting a buy back on Fe, 16, 2007, it was April 5, 2007 when we got our Compass, and it was May 7, 2007 when everything was totally complete.
    We were charged the lowest cost the zone rep had ever seen, 5 cents a mile. Remember we had been to the dealer 25 times, and put more than 2,500 going to and back to the dealer. Also the time spent in the dealership waiting for the repairs was almost like having a home away from home.
    You must call customer care everytime you take your vehicle into the shop and get them to see how much time is being spent.
    I NEVER insluted the thec's or the Service Dept. I alwasy said how hard they were trying to solve my problems. DCX has mad customers all day long. Honey gets more attention than insults.
    If you have more than 36,000 miles DCX will not do a thing! we had 28,500 miles when we were told they wanted to buy it back, and 30,000 miles wen we turned it in. Our extended Chrysler service Contract was transfered over to our Compass. We could not have been treated better. Hope this helps.

farout
  • libertyloverlibertylover Member Posts: 6
    I have 2 liberty diesels one is a 2005 and a 2006 05 has 23k 06 has 10k love them both only had a couple of problems the recalls on the 05 ball joints and torque converter dealer fixed all of it no problems since the 06 I've had it just 3 weeks only been in for a bulletin on the rear brakes both are getting over 30mpg highway they are awesome and if I could find one I would have 3
    try using a different diesel fuel my 05 shuddered for awhile when I used a certain diesel fuel I switched to a different fuel and the problem went away
    farout: Thank You very much for the reply. Good info!
  • bullheadbullhead Member Posts: 125
    Normally, when the EGR opens, I am guessing the injection timing is advanced more to offset the degraded combustion conditions. Preignition may result if that timing advance remains after doing the Off-Road Modification. Preignition can severely reduce the life of the engine. Does anyone have insight as to how the injection timing may be bound to EGR function?

I tried the ORM for a few miles and did notice the smoothness and power on demand. I chickened out for the above reason before I could check any mpg changes. Too bad, because I'm guessing my in-town fuel efficiency would have benefitted a lot.
  • nescosmonescosmo Member Posts: 453
    Bullhead.... I been using the ORM for about a week and the CRD work good and the mileage are great. I used to have a lot of smoke when i clean it nose but now no smoke at all. Yesterday i disconnent the egr valve and i notice a lot of power, but today is been raining all day long and i couldn't test the experiment well. will see what happen, in the meantime things are doing ok so far. if worst come i will put things back the way it was.

Nescosmo.
  • arvmanarvman Member Posts: 95
    Hello all.having tranny issues.tech says it's a module and shift solenoid,would be a real quick fix if they didn't have to wait 5 days for parts.Service dept is great and warranty covers rental,dealer will cover any additional days needed on rental while waiting for parts.I really like this rig when it works but every 6 months it's in the shop.Starting to look at the ram diesel,it is known for reliability.the sales manager sais he'd give me a good trade in for the heep.I'm gonna give it some more time after this repair for the rig to redeem itself.
    has the torque converter and pump been replaced mine did the same had to replace converter and pump no problem since
    Preciate it, I am new to this and did not notice. I am so hooked from my previous ownership of a diesel that I can not see purchasing a gasser again!
    Looks like you got some decent feedback. thanks guys.I am now in the situation for another vehicle (Thanks for your reply "farout"). Believe it or not I was Interested in the new JGC CRD. Friday DC announced 1500 rebate and 1000 bonus cash to buy or lease now I am seriously considering it! I have left posts for new JGC CRD owners to respond with details and impressions but nothing back yet. Have you guys looked at them? I digress, sorry but looks like I am hooked on diesel too. The resale values are showing that the Liberty diesel option is returning the investment so far. Did I mention that the service interval is doubled from the Liberty CRD to 12500 miles? I would consider a low mile 2005 CRD with the 7/70 because the DC service contract is still available for it. Good Luck shopping! :shades:
    do all 2005 crd warranty have the 7/70 mine does but sounds like some dont
    Yeah,had the recall done about 6-7 months ago.just started out of the blue last week.
    Coolrider, since DC anounced the sale of Chrysler, do you think the match made in heaven of JGC body, drivetrain etc., and the 3.0 Mercedes diesel engine are going to continue, and 43,000 list curls my toes.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Member Posts: 490
    Hi all. I'd love some feedback. I'm an owner of a 1986 Cherokee which finally died (engine siezed) at nearly 250,000 miles. I bought the 4cyl/5speed at the time to get the best gas mileage I could. These days I'm even more concerned about mileage, so I'm thinking of replacing it with a Liberty diesel. I'm in California so I cant get a new one, but a local dealer has brought in a half dozen used models and they have a nice inferno red limited with Navigation etc and only 8000 miles. They want top blue book for it. It looks brand new.

I am tempted, but I dont want a vehicle that's going to be a PIA. In the sense of reliability. I've been reading the threads and I know its a crap shoot but I'm still tempted. Apparently mileage is also a crap shoot. I would HOPE to achieve at least the rated numbers 22/26. I know how to drive for max mileage, though a stick is better for that. I also do NOT like the noise and smell of say a RAM diesel or the older Benzes. The Liberties are supposed to be quieter and cleaner?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    I have a 2005 liberty Limited CRD and it has been a very reliable vehicle save for a few minor problems.

It is a little noisy on the inside (mostly engine) at low speeds but at cruise, it is pretty quiet. From the outside it is reasonably quiet once warmed up to operating temperature. I have found that using B5 or some cetane improver quiets things down. As to fuel economy, do not expect to see the best FE until after 15K+ miles.
    Thanks, winter. I understand about break-in. How is your mileage? As for noise, I expect diesels to be a little noisier. Obviously I need to drive one (or 2) to get a feel for noise, handling ride etc. I'm wondering how many people would 'do it again'? I guess many who wouldnt have probably moved on to other boards.

One real concern I have that probably people wont be able to address but I'll put it out here anyway is - since it is illegal to import new Liberty diesels to California thanks to the corrupt air resources board, the people who gave us the carcinogen MTBE in our gas and now our groundwater, but I digress, sorry - since there have been none in Cal, I wonder how difficult it will be to get quality SERVICE on a Liberty diesel?
    Synlubes: There are some early 2005's that had a 100,000 mile warranty. I checked it out when I first got our old "Green Beast".

farout
    jeyhoe: To be very honest and up front with you; service even where they sell them new has been an issue for me and some others. If you have a Dodge dealer that services diesels you just might be ok. Personally I found service to be at the core of my huge issues. We had our CRD 15 months and 29,000 miles. It was in the shop 25 times. DCX bought our CRD back and replaced it for us, We chose a Jeep Compass.
    I might be wrong, but is there not a extra fee to pay the DMV to get this regestered in CA? Might be worth your while tocheck it out.
    As a word of advice don'e buy the CRD without a 100,000 mile warranty Chrysler Service Contract. I would be suprised if it did not pay for it's self and then some.

Farout
    Mileage or FE is pretty good and beginning to plateau. I have near 21K miles on my CRD so straight highway driving at 60 - 65 MPH yields 28 to 31 MPG (calculated). Commuting FE is about 21 - 23 MPG.

If you happen to buy one and it comes with Goodyear Wrangler ST tires, get rid of them ASAP. They are beyond awful. I put Bridgestone Alenza tires on my CRD at 111 miles and what an improvement.

As to service, that is a tough question. I could recommend a very good dealer here in Maryland, but I do not think that you would be willing to drive that far for repairs/service.
    farout: Yes, I saw your name in many a post. I was surprised towards the end that you had it bought back as it seemed you really liked the thing and were reluctant to bad-mouth it. 25 times is a lot of service calls. Sheesh!
    Plenty of Dodge dealers around. Also of course the selling Jeep dealer who of course will swear to high heaven they'll service the thing before I sign the purchase contract. But I did get the feeling many are unhappy with the level of service they got even at "trained" Jeep dealers. Witness the EGR service stories I read. THat scares me as far as getting the Liberty CRD serviced. The worst service work I ever got with my Cherokee was at a Jeep dealer whenthe computer failed. They put in the worng replacement ($550) but refused to make it right for me even when I proved the darn thing was wrong by getting one from a junkyard that matched the one I had which fixed all the issues their new one caused.
    How is the gas mileage on the compass, BTW?
    The other car I'm considering is the Patriot, with the off-road gearing. But it's pretty pricey and the mileage rating is only 21/23. I expected a lot better and those are 2007 numbers (I think).
    Yes, I've read about the Goodyears. I'm 99% sure that's what's on the one I was looking at.

Your mileage sounds like just the ticket for me. I hate going into the gas station anymore. I told the guy at the one I use regularly that soon I'm going to turn the tables and come in and rob HIM once a week.
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Member Posts: 253
    The Goodyears have served me well. I do mostly highway and now have 48K+ miles on the origional goodyear tires. I rotate them with every oil change at 12,000 miles. I also have the same brake pads the vehicle came with. 4/32" are left on the tires and I will be replacing them with the Goodyear Silent armor tires. It will cost me about $800 but with how I drive I should get about 100K out of them. The EGR valve has been a non-issue since the 25,000 mile mark. I clean the boost sensor with every oil change and a new air filter every 6K. I did get a code for egr at 32K. I removed and cleaned the valve and pipe from the exhaust. It was starting to clog up. Never have had a problem since. Average 26 MPG going to and from work daily. 40 miles each way half highway and half city. On long trips I average 29 mpgs. Best tank ever was 32 in the heat of the summer going 70 mph. I use rotella 5w-40 with the CJ4 cert. Run mostly on Sunoco fuel and bleed the fuel filter every month or if it starts to shudder after hard acceleration. The fuel filter heater plug became loose and became hot at about 28K. Clean it up and used di-electic grease to seal it. Love this CRD. I would by another in a heart beat. But won't let the dealer mechanics touch it if I didn't have a warranty.
    Hey, thanks that's good input.
  • thstrangerthstranger Member Posts: 60
    Glad to hear you are pleased with your CRD, as I have been with mine....I too use Rotella 5w-40, was wondering if you could tell me how to clean the EGR valve and the Boost Sensor ??
    Thank you,
    Skeeter
    I say go for it get the liberty diesel I have 2 of them and they are quiet and cleaner then the old diesels of yesterday I get 22-25 city and 25+ highway and have got over 30 mpg use a top quality diesel fuel as my libertys are picky about the quality of fuel or you could wait til mid 08 as I have heard the diesel liberty is coming back but those are just rumors at the chrysler plant my 05 has 23k and has only had one problem the boost pressure sensor went bad now it rtuns great and with no problems and my 06 is just plain awesome it has 11k you say you know how to drive for max mileage then you will do better then the rated I do much better than the rated mpg my opinion is youwill lovethediesel liberty I know I do
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    That's exactly how I feel about mine. :) It's the absolute perfect vehicle for me. It has all I want, Jeep, space, cheap insurance and low fuel costs!
    My 06 liberty diesel is chrysler certified with a 8/80000 mile warranty which is better than the 7/70 try and find a 06 thats chrysler certified
    Got the truck back today,2 days sooner than expected.Dealership service depr was great.Looking at the invoice,they had a bear of a time figuring it out but they dug in and found some interesting things.
    It came down to resetting the trans module,they had to trick the computer by bypassing the overdrive circuit using a transmission simulator and changed the t60 O/D solenoid control with T159 circuit(4c solenoid control?).Final verdict,if MIL returns with same code,replace trans cont module,if it returns with a "4c" code it needs a wiring repair.So the service rep said keeep an eye on it and if anything happens bring it in asap.everyone at the dealership feels bad about this and we were told to talk to the owner of the place.Going to give it some time and see what happens,but i don't get a warm fuzzy about this.It's too bad because i really like this rig when it is working.hope none of you get the same issue but keep this post in mind,cheers all....
    Just to follow up with y'all - today the wife and I drove an inferno red 2006 Liberty CRD limited with leather/Nav (but no sunroof) has only 8200 miles and the dealer wants $31000 for it !! Seems overpriced but I can always butt heads with them if I decide I wanna go for it. We also drove a blue Patriot Limited they had. Loaded with Freedom Drive II, sunroof, Nav, leather, stickered at $27500 !!
    Impressions - my wife liked the Liberty better. Said it felt 'sportier' to drive. She noticed a bit of turbo lag, but liked the power and grunt of the turbo diesel.
    I liked the Patriot more than I thought I would. It really rides and handles quite well. Felt solid, smoothed out the bumps better than the Lib. Very quiet. Driving position and steering feel fit me very well. Brakes were near perfect too. The engine is actually pretty reasonable, if your expectations aren't too high. Certainly blows away the old 2.4 4cyl in my '86 Cherokee (172 HP vs I think 122 or something for the 86)
    Hate to admit it, I like the Patriot ride feel better than the Liberty. But that's probably not too surprising since it's on a car chassis. This was first CVT I've driven and it was quite smooth. Pulled into a 'downshift' pretty nicely when floored on uphill grade. In short, it's a pretty capable and smooth alternative to the ruggedness of the Liberty. The FD II is probably all most people will need off road.
    Must say though that the interior of the Patriot is really cheap looking. Almost embarassingly so. And this was the Limited model!
    Now, the Liberty did not disappoint me. The pull of the diesel and the relative quickness of it when pushed were welcome. It fells like a real stump-puller. 295 lb-ft! Right on. It was fairly noisy, but not overwhelming so by any means. My wife didnt like it at first, but was content to tune it out after just a few miles test drive. One thing bothered me - something was rattling in the rear, besides the salesmans' jewelry I mean. Sounded like the tailgate windor wasnt closed tightly, but I stopped and checked and slammed it shut and noise dod not abate. I do NOT like rattly noises and would refuse this car if they didnt fix that. Anyway .. Otherwise, the Liberty felt to me, not surprisingly, like a much improved Cherokee on the road. But as I said, the Patriot was better. But the Liberty was good. Quite good. Certainly good enough for me. And the Libery just is a more capable vehicle in just about every way. The biggest kicker is that I will almost certainly want to pull a cargo trailer and the Patriot just will not do that. Not if it weighs over 2000 lbs anyway and I'd be that much cargo alone in the trailer. And the Liberty would certainly run rings around the Patriot off road. And it'll be cheaper on fuel. I think the Liberty won both of us over. Now, to consider if I really wanna sell my current ride and do this ...
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    Just turn up the radio or if you have the blower motor up to 3 or so (as I typically do), you can't hear the engine.