Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac SRX

Comments

• adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    Carnaught: that's "good" in my book - I want the lower center of gravity, better driveability, better ingress/egress for me and my passengers.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Then I believe it has what you want......
  • adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    not sure yet - we'll see what happens after it hits the road. I'm not sure I'm ready to drive a Cadillac. ugh. It seems to scream "conspicuous consumption" but it does seem to offer more of what I want. If only the Rendezvous had better reliability ratings.

I have not seen any mpg ratings on the SRX, though the claims for the RWD version were very good (over 26 highway, if I recall right). If the AWD version cracks 21/22, I'd be happy.

And I still need to see how good the third seat is. Am hoping it is equal to the Volvo XC90. I don't need a full blown third seat. I'd rather have a smaller car than a full third seat, but I want more than those rear-facing Volvo seats.
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    No way you'll get 21 MPG out of this thing....
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I will guarantee you it will get at least 21 mpg highway.
    It weighs about the same as the trailblazer, but is lower to the ground and has a smaller frontal area.
  • crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    I am new to this forum but not edmunds, my wife is a manager at GM and got a SRX as her test vehicle for the next 3 months, let me just say after driving it for 2 days that it is Awesome! Probably the best vehicle I have ever driven, and I have driven a bunch because I work in the auto industry also. Its very quiet and refined, she has the AWD V8 and its black. It has the power 3rd row seat, Bose stereo with DVD and indash Lcd screen, power adjustable pedals, Onstar, real wood trim, HID headlights and much more. It drives much better than the Escalade that she had and it is very fast also, there is quiet a bit of room inside.

Chris
    But what powerplant? My brother in law has a trailblazer BTW, and he gets 17 max in town.
  • orwoodyorwoody Member Posts: 269
    Our 1993 Lsi came std with Leather. It also had adjustable lift. We bought it because it had all the options of the Camry/Maxima(my wife was certain she had to have) plus AWD, adj height... for $3k-$4k less. We got it for $5k off it's MSRP. ($18000 in 1993 when loaded C/M were $25+ to $28k)
    The Caddy SRX and XLR are the first two caddies I've wanted to sit in since the 59 Coupe DeVille a neighbor bought used when I was much younger. I'm still quite a ways from Cadillac's avg buyer's age; but I may be tempted to trade the Denali in a year or two.
    trailblazer is only available with the 4200Vortec.
    with 275 hp. 17 mpg in the city is pretty good and what I would expect from a 42-4400 lb vehicle.

Trailblazers are available with 3 different axle ratios which will also effect mileage. 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10. And if it is 4wd gas mileage will be worse.

The CTS will be rated at 26 mpg on the highway and weighs 3600lbs. The SRX weighs 6-800 lbs more and has the same engine. So it should be able to do 21 mpg no problem on the highway.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Keep us up to date on how the test run goes.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    Why are people attacking the SRX for things that apply to most vehicles in its class? The SRX may look like a wagon to some people but most crossovers are nothing but wagons with a little extra ground clearance. The RX330, Pacifica, X5 and Suburu forester are all "crossovers" that are really just wagons.

Anyone who is critical of the mileage should check out the mileage ratings on the competition. The X5 has horrendous mileage with the V8 and the ML500 isnt much better. The SRX will be no worse than its V8 competitors if you ask me.

As for interior materials, I suggest that Edmunds writers and others take a good look at the insides of the X5 and ML500. I have sat in and driven the X5 and the interior is not only unattractive, but it has tons of hard plastic. The build quality is great but the interior does not look like it belongs in a $60K vehicle.
    I like wagons, tire of trying to cram all our junk into a trunk when we travel. I know the "Industry" dislikes the stigma from yesteryear, why do Volvo and Subaru sell so many?
    They are convenient especially when you have kids and animals. Now Caddy makes one as classy as those from Mercedes, BMW....
  • nv32nv32 Member Posts: 35
    Chris,
    Congratulations to you and your wife for being able to test the SRX for 3 months.

When you have time, could you please tell us whether it has any or all of the following:

(1) The big sunroof, or the even bigger one

(2) Navigation, and if so the ease of use and whether it's touch screen or not.

(3) Parking assist, and if so front and rear or just rear ... audible or visual warning to the driver, or both?

(4) Tire pressure monitor

(5) Curtain airbags and/or side airbags, and if so front only or 1st and 2nd only or full length

(6) Adaptive cruise control

(7) Cornering lights that move when the car is turned

(8) Regular or premium fuel

Anything else?

Any other comments you might have about those features or any other facet of the SRX would be highly appreciated.
  • wulf007wulf007 Member Posts: 20
    Stopped by a small local Cadillac dealership yesterday that had let me view the new SRX a week ago. Cadillac had provided it to them for a couple of hours to familiarize themselves with it and for training. Didn't get to sit in or ride it, just look at it. Sales rep says his dealership will not get the SRX until November and those will be models with the 3.6 engine. The V8 AWD models will be shipped later. That could change though. He also said they have been told by Cadillac that there will be little negotiating room on the CTSV and SRX. He is worried that it might effect sales here in California because thanks to Governor Davis and the tax and spend legislature, the car registration fees have just been tripled on top of the 8.5% to 8.75% sales tax. Means you can add approximately $1800 to $2400 to the price of the vehicle for registration and license fees. BTW the MSRP on the SRX which was nicely equipped (with V8) but apparently not fully loaded, was $58K. This was the second Cadillac sales rep who told me he thought the Escalade was a better buy for the money than the SRX.
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    It is a compact to mid-size luxury unitbody (car-based) SUV which is basically a tall wagon.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    When you say "rep" I tend to thing of somebody who gets paid by GM, not somebody who gets a commision from a dealer...

It would be a very bad thing if the the folks from corporate don't think the SRX is worth the money compared to a 'sclade. But I can easily see how a saleperson would like to have you driving a 'sclade TODAY, afterall a "bird in the hand...".
    Could u move this discussion to the future vehicles board? I don't want to have to start a whole new one.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm looking into it!

tidester, host
    No, I can read and their business card says Sales Representative. And frankly Scarlet I don't give a damn what corporate thinks since they don't tend to care what the customers think. Seems to me they were the same people who a few years ago were bitching and whining about how we were buying foreign cars. And we all know how they stand behind their warranties. I would rather talk to a knowledgeable sales rep about the differences, pros and cons, rather than a sales person mouthing what corporate wants them to say. I am sure we have all encountered a sales person who doesn't know as much about his product as some of the people on these boards. IMHO a $60K MSRP for an "almost loaded" SRX is too steep. Can you say Ford Thunderbird, PT Cruiser, Dodge Durango? All vehicles with an initial price tag higher than they are now.
    I feel that this discussion should stay where it is.
    Just because it is car based, does not mean it can't be a SUV.
    It is not a (CTS) wagon because it has a completley different body and 5" higher hip point.

Also I am a bit perplexed by some of the cars being in "Future Vehicles" when they have been out for almost a year.

50 saleable units were produced this week so it is hardly a "Future Vehicle".
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The SRX hasn't hit our Vehicle Pages yet (under New Cars) and that's our general, if sometimes fuzzy, guideline for calling something a future vehicle in the discussions.

And lots of the Future Vehicle discussions get linked to SUVs or Sedans, etc., so they also show up in the "normal" boards while living in Future Vehicles.

Steve, Host
    I did not know that.
    I agree that the SRX is an SUV. It should be in Future Vehicles because it will be easier to find there.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    so it should be easily found in either place. After it hits the showrooms, we can wean it from Future Vehicles....

Steve, Host
  • crj1crj1 Member Posts: 70
    Hi everyone,

I will try and answer some of "nv32" questions.
    First my understanding from my wife who is heavily involved in the SRX program is the V8 will be the first model out with the V6 following after that.

Now on the vehicle she drives or "we" drive has the navigation system which works real well, it also has Parking assist, rear only ...Both audible and visual warning to the driver. It has the Tire pressure monitor, stabilitrack stability system. In dash DVD and 6 Disk Bose changer...No sunroof.
    It has the power 3rd row seat also 5 speed auto trans. with a sport AND manual shift mode which works great.

It has Curtain airbags front and side airbags.

I'm not sure on the Adaptive cruise control or Cornering lights that move when the car turns.

Runs on Regular or premium fuel.

Also the second row is split and can move forward and backward for more or less legroom.

One last thing, this vehicle is VERY FAST...I've seen 0-60 times from 6.2 to 6.8 and it has massive passing power.

Chris
  • richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    for the info. I got a chance to sit in one of the auto show SRX's at a local dealer back in May. They were opening a new showroom and had the SRX, XLR and Sixteen and Cien mock-ups there too.

The SRX is visually stunning, Much better than it's competition. Early Cadillac news releases said that the AWD V8's would be produced first, just as you said.

One of the posters at another board reported that there were 10 SRX's at Arlington Park (Horse Race track in Illinois) back about a week ago. They were in a parking lot along with an X5, XC90 and RX330. This July, Cadillac is hosting some golf clinics in the area, along with a test drive of "the new, breakthrough models". I'd bet that clinic attendees will be comparing the SRX to the vehicles.

I do have an invitation, but I don't golf (I'll have to fake that part), so I'll report back on the test drives and the opinions of the other golfers.

Rich
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    was the Infiniti FX included at this test track??
    FX is way too small to compare, clpurnell. It has a small opening and little cargo room. It better be better driving than the SRX and RX330 as it is much smaller. It's hardly an SUV, kind of just a wagon.
  • drivenowdrivenow Member Posts: 45
    Has anyone gone to their dealer and ordered an SRX? My dealer cannot provide me with anything other than a color chart for "2004 Cadillacs" - Does anyone have a link to the option ordering codes?? Thanks
    What a comprehensive collection of specs and ordering info - thanks b4z - I'm going to share this with my dealer - I hope his gratitude will result in a deep discount!!
    For those of you who have seen or driven the SRX, do you recall if the side mirrors are power folding...my ML 500 and most $50K SUV's including the Escalade have this important and convenient feature and I surely hope Cadillac is in step with the competition on this one!
    Navigator has it too, and I find it indespensible for garage parking.
  • mjmorrowmjmorrow Member Posts: 15
    Just wanted to say thanks for the great link you posted b4z. Very informative. Has anyone seen any of the SRX's on the road yet or in any dealer showroom ready to buy. Being from MI and now living in NC, I tend to miss the early release that happens in MI first. Just trying to see what the sticker price is going to be. I priced out the new VW Tourang, and with the V8 it priced about 51K. and the V6 was at about 44K all well equipped. Just curious to see what Caddy does. Any info is appreciated.
    If you all don't know already, but I obtained pricing from Edmunds today on the new SRX. Gave me just about the best pricing I have seen, however, a fully loaded V8 AWD looks like it is going to be about 58K, not sure if this is a good decision, but we will see when the vehicle is officially released.
    Makes sense IF it's as appealing..... Otherwise, might not make much sense. Have yet to see one here yet on the dirt.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    Must have been a dealer's demo car. Very nice, if you like the chiseled CTX styling. I think Caddy's got a winner on their hands. Much better looking then the chromed over Yukon Escalade.
    Unless it's too bling-blinged up, I like the Escalade's looks, stock, I suppose, with maybe the gold package only....... So many people on Edmunds seem to hate their looks, but they still sell.....
    Gee I didn't know the Escalade came on two platforms, the Yukon and the Tahoe. Or is Cadillac coming out with another SUV besides the SRX? :) The Escalade in fact is built on the Tahoe platform and the Hummer2 is built on the Suburban platform. And I agree with nvbanker, the stock Escalade looks just fine and doesn't have much chrome, except the grill, compared to a few other SUV's. But there are a few tricked out with lights on 24 inch rims, etc that are a bit too much. OTOH I saw a new Hummer2 the other day with a chrome rear spoiler. I was unaware they went fast enough to require one or maybe that there was a lot of rear end slide in the slaloms because it didn't weigh enough.
    Edmund's TMV pricing for the SRX is higher than MSRP which is scary enough. I'm trying to understand why the V8 is so much more $$ than the V6 - they are both new engines from what I can tell. Anyone got any insight?
  • machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    The Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade are all the same.

The Yukon XL/Suburban/Escalade (extended - ESV?) are all the same.

The Avalanche and the Escalade "pickup" are the same, and share a lot with the Suburban.
    Is that why this discussion hasn't had a post in a while?
    Libertycat - I think everyone is just waiting for the SRX to come out, so we all have something more to talk about. I mean there is only so much you can say about a car that no one has really seen up close and personal nor has even driven it. I would imagine once the first few comeout and people have had the chance to test drive one, this posting will soar.

IN the meantime. Has anyone seen the key for the SRX. Did Caddy change its keys or are they still going with the old and dated key with seperate Key Fob. I know I really like my Saab key were everything is on the key itself. Let me know if anyone knows.
  • johnrbrooksjohnrbrooks Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at the SRX but the pricing is pretty steep. To shave some bucks off the cost one option is to forego AWD. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where we get no snow, a few months/year of rain and on average we might spend 7-10 days/year in Tahoe skiing, so the car wouldn't see much adverse weather. With features like traction control, all weather tires, ABS, etc is it really worth the addition $2500 to get AWD (not to mention weight, mileage and tire wear).