Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki Verona

Comments

• paulavettapaulavetta Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any resolution about these problems from Suzuki? I have a 2004 Suzuki Verona that I purchased brand new. It now has 72,000 miles on it only due to the fact that it is the only family car we have. All of the problems that have been posted are the same with me. The first thing I noticed was that the car would idle high and randomly jump to high rpms when in Park. Also, the transmission would jerk and the car acts as if it does not want to take off when the light changes from red to green. I took it back to the dealership (which is 80 miles away for a one way trip) numerous times and each time was told they could find nothing. They pretty much just reflash the ECM and that's it. Afterwards, my check engine light kept coming on. The dealer stated this was due to a faulty gas cap and replaced it. The engine light went off but it does keep coming on randomly. Next, my radio controls started messing up. The keys were all scrambled (power key did nothing, mode key turned radio off, and seek did something else). Dealer kept my car for a few months and tried to re-wire the radio then returned it saying that they would have to order a new radio. It took almost a year for a new radio to come in. Now I am glad to say that my steering wheel controls do work but I'm so used to manually changing the stations that I barely use them now. Also the car stalls frequently. There have been numerous times that I have been on the expressway and 6 lane streets and the car has shut down. To date this issue has still not been addressed. I have corresponded with Suzuki multiple times to no avail. The last time I sent Suzuki another certified letter. I including copies of my dealer invoices and a list of everything that was wrong with the car. A VP sent me a rather crude sounding letter stating that my issues would be resolved if I go back to the dealership. They then proceeded to give me a set date and time. I could not get off of work that day so had to have my mother take the car in on my behalf. After the so called scheduled "repair" the same issues persist. I can't fault my dealer because in all honesty they do try to fix the vehicle. However, I'm at my wits end! It would be a nice car if Suzuki would fix all the issues that they are having and own up to fact that the 2004 batch of Veronas are for the most part LEMONS.
  • paulavettapaulavetta Member Posts: 2
    BTW...Did I mention that sometimes the temperature button acts "weird" <--- best word that I can use to describe it.
  • mm9351mm9351 Member Posts: 72
    I attended the NY Auto Show yesterday and Suzuki Auto made the conscious decision NOT to display the Verona. When I inquired the reply was quite interesting -- the rep said not to expect a 2007 Verona -- it may return in 2008!

This decision may very likely be in recognition of the number of problems / complaints to Suzuki. Since the next generation Verona will be a complete makeover, and before they launch a new vehicle, they will perform more testing over a variety of conditions; to make sure they get it right before it hits the streets, and before the consumer finds the fault!
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I wish that if the verona is redesigned, it will be a twin of the pontiac G6 or saturn AURA (aura preferred). As all of you i pray its no :lemon:. the choice in body: the coupe, sedan & hardtop convertible. The sedan and coupe should both have the 4panal roof as an option and all should use the upcoming xl7's navsystem as an option. Price starting around $16.5k... Sounds like a dream come true.

Sorry if i caught any1's attention but it sounds like a seller to me :). Gm, Suzuki, and opel should build it :mad: !! Any opinions
  • chuck1chuck1 Member Posts: 1,405
    "the rep said not to expect a 2007 Verona -- it may return in 2008!"

If they are smart they will also dump the name, with all the problems this car has had......
  • robertson2robertson2 Member Posts: 6
    Well...about your questions to my post: No, the dealer in Rcihmond did not service the car. They could not "recreate the problem." And it did drive fine for me for about a week til the next trip to PA when it started doing it again. The original dealer replaced the fuel pump and I havent had a problem with that since. That was after about 3000 miles on the car. And yes, I am averaging about 26,000 mi/yr. Which is over the "national average", but who comes up with that average?? The only people I even know that drive less than 12,000-15,000 mi/yr are my 78 year old grandparents! ha And actually, having mishaps like i've had with the verona after 60,000 are very unusual in my experience. I've had 3 other vehicles in the past, all of which I drove to over 100,000 miles and honestly had a problem with none of them. As for the accident, it was a parking lot fender bump..I could have done more damage with a rubber mallet, so definately not the cause of any mechanical problems! I guess it all boils down to you get what you pay for and be VERY cafeful when buying a first year model like the Verona.
  • lambert91lambert91 Member Posts: 1
    My question to you; you mentioned Suzuki remanufactured the heads with new parts…do you mean the car was sold to me as new with remanufactured heads in it? I wanted to make sure I understood this correct as I think this is a law suit. I buy new I want new parts too.

I took my 04 Verona to dealership last Thursday for loud ticking which got progressively louder the faster I drove (currently 55K miles). As a matter of act, a man at the gas station asked me if Suzuki was making a diesel car now. At any rate, they first tried the ole looks like you didn't have proper maintenance performed on your car and they would need me to provide all receipts of oil changes or else repairs may not be covered under warranty. Then I found this forum and was so excited to see so many others with the same problem. I immediately called the dealership with my great find and they were not happy with my new discovery. Within hours, I received a call that they were replacing the heads and everything would be covered under warranty, except cleaning the gunk off the engine and making adjustments to the timing chain. Well, needless to say I'm not happy that I have to pay that; especially since the gunk wouldn't be there if it weren't for the faulty equipment I bought. I placed a call to Suzuki about these charges, which are so far $250, but I don&#146;t want to pay for it…not my problem and they are checking and will return my call. PEOPLE don&#146;t get in a hurry with Suzuki because they're not quick.

Today (Tuesday) I get a call from the dealership that they are going to have to replace the motor as still wasn't right after replacing the heads. In the meantime, since I'm past my 36,000 rental car warranty, I'm going broke paying for a rental car (2 weeks)…way more than my car payment.
  • toymaker1toymaker1 Member Posts: 13
    I've owned my Verona EX since Sept. of 04 and other than self inflicted wounds the only problem I've had was transmission failure at 7,000 mile and it was replaced. I'm sorry to hear it will be dicontinued because I would have liked to have traded for an 07.
  • pciro2180pciro2180 Member Posts: 43
    No, I do beleilve that these were not remanufactured heads, according to my Suzuki rep(who I know very well), they scrapped all of the faulty ones and started making the new ones, and if you notice, no 05 or 06 Verona is having head problems, just the 04, so they are using the heads from the newer cars with the updated parts. If i were you also, I would get a hold of your Disrtict rep, because replacing the heads, motor or transmission is part of the power train warranty, and your rental company should be billing your dealer, and the dealer should be billing Suzuki for a rental car for warranty work, you should not incurr any repair costs with this. I know Suzuki is slow, I left that heater cable issue from my last post with both albert and Edwin at Suzuki, and it has been weeks!! I talk to my district manager and he takes very good care of me becuase he know how many problems I have had with the car since I bought it in 04 from one of his dealerships and the 3 dealers I deal with, he is district manager of all 3. He got Suzuki to cut me a check for 105 dollars for the heater cable issue, that the dealer screwed up and would not claim because they are the rip off masters. I work with four people that have had thier cars servciced at this dealer (Ford, Suzuki) and all have been ripped off. Don't let them get you, the dealers are out to charge you and have you deal with Suzuki, you should not have to pay a cent for warranty work, and it has taken me nearly 3 months to get any money back at all. Good luck man, i am trying to get out of this car before something else goes wrong!!! :lemon:
    Based on an insider's report at Suzuki, the 2008 Verona will be a rebadged Magnus / Epica; just as the new 07 XL7 will be a essentially the Equinox. The GM influence in Suzuki will be as strong as ever. Suzuki needs an upscale car to compete head-on with Toyota, Honda, and even Hyundai / Kia. Suzuki will build on their strengths of value engineering; that is to offer high value products with greater options than the nearest competitor at a lower cost of ownership. The new Verona (if it still goes by that name) will also have a multi-functional display standard with available navigation; prices will be north of $27,000 for a high end version.
  • gtsfirefightergtsfirefighter Member Posts: 13
    We're taking our '05 Verona on a major road trip next week. Going to California from Texas. Knock on wood no problems with out Verona yet and we have 18k miles on it. I'll let yall know how it did when we get back.
  • veronadriververonadriver Member Posts: 1
    My wife got an estimate of $244 to replace the filters (air/cabin/fuel) in her Verona. Thanks to this forum, I spent less than $40 at NAPA parts and switched out the air and cabin filters on my own. However, I couldn't find anything about the fuel filter, its location, or replacement part # while searching the forum.

Thanks in advance for helping a first-time poster ;)CMC
    I perfer for it to be a rebaged 2007 altima. Did any1 read about nissan sendind suzuki minivans and trucks in the future? Hopefull they'll drop an altima too. Or a 2007 sentra for the smaller car replacement. A versa for forenza? :confuse:
    "The new Verona (if it still goes by that name) will also have a multi-functional display standard with available navigation; prices will be north of $27,000 for a high end version."

If Suzuki calls it the "Verona" it will be a BIG MISTAKE based on the number of problems this car has had. As far as the "high end" version is concerned, you have to be CRAZY to pay $27,000.00 for anything made by GM/Daewoo. IT'S THE QUALITY!! (Or lack therof!)
  • ccbloome61ccbloome61 Member Posts: 35
    An Altima or Sentra? I hope you have a fire extinguisher handy. I just saw on the news that Nissan has stopped all dealers from selling ANY new Altimas or Sentras due to ENGINE FIRES!!!!!!! So.... nothing is perfect. :shades:
    This is a very minor cosmetic flaw, and will require a close inspection on your part. Has anyone noticed slight peeling of paint below the fuel filler door? It is actually at the interface / seam where the rear fender meets the polyurethane bumper just below the fuel door? I suspect that spilled gasoline has collected in the seam and caused some paint to bubble / flake. Problem is easily solved with a toothpick to remove loose paint, and a small dose of touch-up paint.
  • marvinleemarvinlee Member Posts: 21
    I now have 33,600 miles on our Verona EX. The car has been troublefree except for the early computer chip recall. The radio is junk and should never have been accepted by Daewoo/GM/Suzuki quality control departments. I would seek replacement under the warranty, but the current Suzuki dealer in Salem, Oregon has the most repellent attitude of any car dealer in my experience. I bought the Suzuki new from the previous dealership owner. A new owner has since taken over the dealership.

The car body quality continues to impress with very small gaps between body panels. I still like the looks better than that of any competitors. The car cruises easily at any legal road speed. Nothing has fallen off or begun to rattle. This is noteworthy since we live on a rough gravel road.

The least likeable traits include high road noise from the tires, and the poorly programmed automatic transmission. In normal range, the engine revs too high under normal medium throttle before shifting up. To stop this, I press the "hold" button on the center floor console. This veers too far in the opposite direction. The engine then is limited to about 2500-3000 RPM top speed and the car loses most of its acceleration. Also, in "hold" position, first gear is locked out. Despite the disadvantages, I operate most of the time in "hold". In-town gas mileage may be a bit better also. The engine has always had a slight but noticeable steering wheel vibration when the engine is idling in neutral. The problem has not gotten worse or better over time.

The slight engine rattling noise I remarked on in an earlier post remains but has not worsened over time. Oil economy seems normal since I have never had to add oil between changes.

I would consider buying a new 2008 Suzuki Verona if one appears and the noted problems are corrected. For Verona buyers who like the inline cross-mounted six cylinder engine, and want to upgrade, consider the forthcoming 2007 Volvo S80. It has a 3.2 liter straight six, arranged as in the Verona, is only slightly larger, and may have stronger dealer support. Sadly, the cost will be far higher.
    "The slight engine rattling noise I remarked on in an earlier post remains but has not worsened over time."

This "rattle" is your classic "head gasket/valves" going bad as in most other Veronas. It will get worse over time and require replacement!
    Has there been any problems with the 2006 Verona. I,m going to be going up to New York next month and I,m thinking of trading my 2004 EX for a new 2006.
    Never heard of that... 2007 Altima since it is still going to be midsize. The 2007 versa is good for the forenza. Does any 1think that is a good idea? Especially considering the altimas 3.5 v6 having 250hp and getting 600 miles highway. The 2.5 is ok but i perfer a the 3.5 since it is so common and powers most nissan infiniti vehicles (eg:Fx35, 350z, maxima, g35, and murano and maybe more). :)
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    Has anyone else noticed dings below their outside rearview mirrors? I have several beloe\w my driver's side. It's too high up for another car door to have done it. Also a couple on the passenger side. My neighbor who owns a Verona also has them. The mirror must put a bind on the door every time you adjust it. Just curious.
  • tonyc4tonyc4 Member Posts: 14
    Hello, If anyone is interested in a better shifting transmission you can go to your suzuki dealer and ask for a "hard shift software upgrade"..I had a new program downloaded to my tranny computer last year and it really works...its not perfect but much better than the original..I own an 04 model so I'm not sure if the newer veronas need it..
    According to Pres. Koichi Suzuki, the Verona will be discontinued at the end of the 2006 model year. Highest sales were recorded in 2004 at 12,874 units. Suzuki may look at bringing the Verona back to the US if it gets an improved powerplant, since US buyers prefer a larger V6 and at least a 5 speed automatic transmission.

Suzuki also reported the return of the Swift hatchback in 2010 (discontinued in '02). It will compete against the Honda Fit and Nissan Versa. A hybrid version of the Swift will also be available. Nissan will provide Suzuki with a small pickup truck version of the Frontier in 2008.
  • ccbloome61ccbloome61 Member Posts: 35
    Last year I noticed a crease in the metal below the passenger side mirror. Just figured it was there since new and I hadn't noticed it. Now there are a few small creases under the drivers side mirror that are similar to the one on the passenger side. Apparently the sheet metal design is weak in that area and any pressure from the mirror makes a crease in the door.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    Yes, I now have five or six dings on each side. I guess it's it puts one there everytime the mirrors are adjusted.
    It's starting to look really bad.
  • jpolwortjpolwort Member Posts: 27
    What is QC? Quality control? Unfortunately, I too have been plagued by a lot of problems. Mainly, transmission shift related, quirky radio (cassette never worked), steering wheel radio controls randomly don't work, etc.). As a newbie on this forum, it's unfortunate to see such bad knocks for this car. I bought my '04 mainly for the looks, features, and price. Too bad you don't get what you paid for!
    What are CEL's?
    Duh - did you ever figure out that this is an ALARM, and is suppose to ALARM you in the actual event of someone entering your car "beyond the normal means"? How 'bout when you forgot where exactly you parked, and you use your remote's sound to find it? If you had an alarm on your house, would you disable it? Just my 2 cents worth. ;)
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    I used the word "ALARM" 7 times in my post. Yes, I figured out that this is an ALARM. I'm willing to risk the lack of the ALARM to get rid of the chirp. I stated very clearly that the chirp is the alarm. Maybe I'm just more easily annoyed than others, but several magazine reviewers have commented on the Verona chirp and how annoying it is. If someone wants to steal the car, I don't think that the alarm will save me. Here in the 'burbs, nothing draws less attention than some idiot's car alarm going off. It really is the cricket call of suburbia. I had an apartment neighbor long ago who drove a Harley and delighted in going by the cars in the neighborhood with glass breakage sensor alarms every morning because his bike's low freq. rumble would set them off.
    I have used the remote to find my car in a parking lot once, but I was on the wrong level. Most of the time my car is easy to find. I just look behind the biggest, ugliest, gas guzzling-est SUV driven by the most self- absorbed person on the planet, blocking out the view of everything except the sun, and I can usually find my car, right behind it. The good thing about the Verona is there are never so many of them in the parking lot that you can't find yours. I've gone to the wrong Corolla, the wrong Concorde, even the wrong Sebring, but never the wrong Verona! :D
    I love this forum because you get to vent your joys and frustratinos. Got my frustration yesterday. When my '04 Verona failed to start, I anticipated it was the battery. Read the fine print for warranty in regards to the battery. It's only for 24 mos, or 24,000 whichever comes first. My car turned 36,008 when this happened. Took the car to my local mechanic, (instead of the dealer). I probably got "raped" as he charged me $40 to "diagnose" that I needed a new battery (uh duh - I knew that). Then, another $90 for the battery itself. Just goes to show, if Suzuki only warranted their battery for 2 years, it was an el-cheap-o to being with. Be fore-warned. :(
    Some typo's in the original post. Sorry. Here's the corrected text.

I love this forum because you get to vent your joys and frustrations. Got my frustration on June 24th. When my '04 Verona failed to start, I anticipated it was the battery. Read the fine print for warranty in regards to the battery. It's only for 24 mos, or 24,000 whichever comes first. My car turned 36,008 when this happened. Took the car to my local mechanic, (instead of the dealer). I probably got "raped" as he charged me $40 to "diagnose" that I needed a new battery (uh duh - I knew that). Then, another $90 for the battery itself. Just goes to show, if Suzuki only warranted their battery for 2 years, it was an el-cheap-o to begin with. Be forewarned. :(
  • chazsgirlchazsgirl Member Posts: 1
    hello,to answer your question u want to no if any one eles is haveing trouble with 05's are 06's i have just bought a bran new 06 drove it for 3 day and it left me on road going to work put it in shop they called me told me it was fixed went on my lunch break picked it up got about 20 miles down the road broke again
    I bought my Verona EX in Sept. of 04 from a dealer in New York that I have been buying cars from for many years and drove it home to Central Florida with no problems. At around 5,000 miles the transition started to shift rough. Several trips back to the local dealer and the tranny finally let go and hung up in second gear. A call to Suzuki Corp.had my car picked up at my home and a brand new transmition installed the next day. No problems since. Thinking of getting an 06 EX while I can and the price will probably be right. Change oil every 5,000 mile, use Castrol Syntec 5w30w and engine is as quiet as the day I bought it.
  • pciro2180pciro2180 Member Posts: 43
    Hi all,

If you read my previous posts about all of the problems I have had with the GM/Daewoo built Verona, I finally got rid of it yesterday. The district service manager wanted to get me out of this car so he offered to do a deal with a dealer where they would take my verona(with wrong milage on odometer, because of the dealer screw up), and he would give up his demo for me to purchase. So I really before adding the negative equity back on, I bought this 06 Grand Vitara X-Sport for 16,500 with 7,000 miles on it. The kicker is that it has about $2000 worth of dealer installed accessories that I got for free because Suzuki picked up the tab because it was the manager that was driving it and therefore it was a manufacturer demo. I got the nice 16" rims that in the book at the dealer cost $325 dollars a piece and a bunch of other options. After the negative equity from my Verona :lemon: , I walked out about $500 above sticker price. I must thank the district manager as he wanted to keep me with Suzuki for a long time, as I have already been a customer for 6 years with them and 2 cars. After the verona episode, i bought the ESP with it just in case, but as the sticker states, parts content 100% Japan, and final assembly point of Iwata, Japan, not USA, not Korea, and definitly not GM/Daewoo. I wish all of the rest of you luck with your Veronas. I will miss the nice features of the car, but not the mechanical issues.
    "The new Verona (if it still goes by that name) will also have a multi-functional display standard with available navigation; prices will be north of $27,000 for a high end version."

If Suzuki calls it the "Verona" it will be a BIG MISTAKE based on the number of problems this car has had. As far as the "high end" version is concerned, you have to be CRAZY to pay $27,000.00 for anything made by GM/Daewoo. IT'S THE QUALITY!! (Or lack therof!)

Isn't that what i said about it likely to be a rebadged Altima with a different name. That price range is sooo similat to the altima. In fact, it sounds like maxima.

I made a name for it if they do drop Verona:

The Suzuki Bonzai, a new midsized sedan! :)
    CEL = "check engine light" a.k.a. MIL = malfunction indicator lamp = "service engine soon" on other suzuki models...
    Do you (or anyone) know if this upgrade is covered under the 10/100,000 warranty? I'm over 36,xxx, and am experiencing random transmission (ECM/TCM whatever) problems. Thnx - Jim
  • alienpathalienpath Member Posts: 15
    Story confirmed. Although the report I read mentioned nothing of a possible return of the Verona.

As easy as I drive my Verona, I'm not even close to reaching 19mpg in the city. My last mileage check was under 17mpg without AC usage. Now it's hot and I'm using the AC. I can't even bear to check the mileage now.

For the mileage my Verona is getting, I should have just spent the $3,500 extra and purchased a new Dodge Charger SE with the 3.5 HO V6 (250HP). With the Charger being bigger, heavier, and having more horse power, I'd then at least have a reason why I wasn't getting good gas mileage. :cry:

By the way, anyone else notice a nice clunking and gear-grinding sound when you turn on your AC? The dealership told me that it was normal for it to clunk and grind. I've never owned a car that did this unless something was wrong with the compressor. :confuse:
    In responsse to your AC problems, I don't experience any clunking or abnormal sounds. My issue, along with others, is no consistency with the entire HVAC system as a whole. I have to set mine at 85 degrees, or I freeze my cahooties off. In the winter, I have to set it to 66 degrees to be comfortable. It's too bad this car didn't make it in the real world. I still owe 3 yrs worth of payments on it, but am already eying up my next car. That '07 Altima looks promising, and by '08, they should have the kinks ironed out (if any). My Verona is an '04 EX - red. It's a beatiful car to look at, but like several others, have been plagued with various transmission glitches.
    Good luck with whatever car to end up with! :lemon:
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    Alienpath, your mileage should be better. I've never gotten the advertised 28 mpg, but I always get at least 23-24 mpg. Have you checked the obvious (tire pressure, gearshift position) I get a smooth ride at 28 psi on original Hankooks. I've tried pumping them up to 44 psi for a month. The car feels peppier, rides harsher, and gets NO better mileage. Cruise on or off, AC on or off, 65, 75, or 80, it hasn't beat 26 mpg for me.
    Maybe you have something less obvious going on, like a stuck brake caliper or a bad plug wire or fuel injector. I'd take it to the dealer, tell them about the mileage, and ask them to look it over. I bet they'll find something like that. The Verona is no mileage champ, but it shouldn't be in the teens.
    One more thing, when I check my mileage mid-tank, it is always far lower than a full-to-empty check. I can't figure out why, it just is.
    My wife and I will be working overtime to make extra payments on the car so that we can get it paid off sooner. We're contemplating a new Charger SE or a new Honda Civic Coupe EX. It depends on the oil situation. Right now, the Civic is looking better and better.

When I drive constant speed between 30 - 40mph my Verona has a slight but continuous hesitation. Anyone else have this problem?
    I just checked and I have 117.2 miles on this current tank of gas and I'm down a half tank. Surely this can't be normal. My tires are up to normal suggested pressure. I guess I could let the air out a bit, but I've always understood that to be a reason for not getting good mileage. The only other recourse I have is to have it checked out at the dealer. Heck, maybe I'm using more gas because I'm playing to many CD's in the car. :confuse:
    No, it's not a Ford, but you get the point. When I bought my Verona, I was under the impression that the car had never been built by Daewoo, Daewoo had almost gone belly up and that they were saved by GM. I was also under the impression that GM sold Suzuki the plans for the Verona because GM did not need another mid-sized car in their line up in America. In other words, I was led to believe that the Verona was built by Suzuki.

Thanks to this forum and recent news reports, I have sadly discovered that this is not the case. I'm almost sick to my stomach at the thought that I have purchased a rebadged Daewoo. :sick: I have driven Toyotas for over 11 years. I thought I was buying another Japanese car. :cry:

If I had known what I was really buying, I never would have purchased the Verona.
    Alienpath wrote: When I drive constant speed between 30 - 40mph my Verona has a slight but continuous hesitation. Anyone else have this problem?

Yeah, I get that "hesitation" too, but at higher speeds - say between 50 - 60mph. I also randomly get what I call an "abrupt surge" when approaching zero mph (like approaching a stop sign or light). You'll find various complaints throughout this forum, on a variety of tranny issues. What I do is review the Technical Service Bullentins (aka TSB) at Suzuki's Pitstop website. Look for anything related to TCM, ECM, shift related, etc. My gripe, is that you have to PAY to download the damn bulletins. Another problem you'll run into is that the service shop is unable to replicate the problem. Good luck with that. :lemon:
  • evergreenevergreen Member Posts: 213
    I have the 04 EX with about 32,000 miles. No problems yet (knock on wood.) I have had the oil changed regularly but that's my only expense so far. Tires will probably last until 40-45K mark. I get 20-22 mpg in the city and 28-30 on trips. My wife loves the car except for the titanium color. She would prefer a bright red car. The new GTI 4dr would be tempting but I doubt it gets as good of mileage as the Verona and VW's can have some reliability problems. It certainly wouldn't be as quiet as the Verona. I am sure it would be a blast to drive, though. Decisions, decisions.
    Anyone on this board detect a slight vibration sensation in the steering wheel when braking at vehicle speeds between 65 - 70 mph? I had all my wheels hi-speed balanced and tire pressures are set firm to 34 psi. Problem is still there. My guess is that the brake rotors on my '04 EX may need re-surfacing. Only have about 18,000 miles. Any advice you have is greatly appreciated -- thanks.
  • dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Your assumption may be correct. The rotors could be warped, in which case they should be replaced, not resurfaced.

If your wheels were out of balance for a long time, that along with hard braking from high speed can contribute to warped rotors on any vehicle.
  • gtsfirefightergtsfirefighter Member Posts: 13
    Well last month I took my 05 Verona on a cross country road trip from Texas to California then back through Las Vegas then straight back to North Texas. It did pretty well overall. Had to have a flat fixed in Vegas. When driving through Yuma AZ the temp was 120 degrees and the temp gauge never moved, not even going through the mountains. I was impressed. The gas mileage ranged from 28 to 32 mpg depending on terrain and speed. In west Texas the legal limit is 80 mph and I still got 30 mpg and the car cruised effortlessly. There were a couple of instances I got very annoyed at the transmission. It always seems confused about which gear it wants to stay in at 45-50ish mph. Also, on a couple of occasions, the engine would idle erratically after being on the road for hours. It would keep going from 500 rpm up to 1500 rpm then back down. The solution to that was to turn the car off and restart it and the problem was solved. Other than those things I felt the car did very well. I took it in yesterday for an oil change and advised the service writer about what it had been doing and they reflashed the transmission and engine with new software updates. We'll see how that turns out. We bought our 05 in December of 05 with 6500 miles on it. I wished we had just bought a new 06 because the service writer stated he never sees them in the shop and that they are bullet proof. The got rid of that "smart" transmission. 04's are crap and the 05's are better but still have some minor issues. That's my roadtrip story.
    "bought a new 06 because the service writer stated he never sees them in the shop"

The reason he does not see them in the shop is because no one is buying them based on their past issues. They (the Verona) are history after the '06 model year. Suzuki is dumping them. They gave Suzuki a very bad reputation it will take years to get over.
  • workbenchworkbench Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04, sapphire grey, alloys, only 8k miles on it and its never seen salt or snow, and is garage kept. I really like the solid built chassis, and the interior hardware is a step above hyundai, but the engine management leaves ALOT to be desired. When I attempt to accelerate, the car falls on its face. Is there any chance the the computer system will be updated for the us older owners?