Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Options
    kat95kat95 Member Posts: 49
    I've noticed that my 95 Impreza and 05 Legacy have brakes
    that feel mushy and the pedal travels from the day they were new. I drove a rental chevy cavalier, saab and their
    brakes stopped fast and held no pedal travel. I love the awd but am ready to trade it in.
  • Options
    mountnman4umountnman4u Member Posts: 10
    I hear you on this one. Subaru brakes have always raised eyebrows for their longish stopping distances and poor pedal feel. I used to have an 1998 Impreza--the brake pedal feel in that car was absolutely awful. I'm still amazed I never rear-ended another car in my Impreza. I'm surprised I kept that car as long as I did.

I now have a 2005 Legacy GT Limited 5MT wagon. Those brakes are a tremendous improvement over the old Impreza, but they still leave much to be desired--the Audi A4 Avant and the Volvo V50 brakes are definitely superior.

I wouldn't ditch your car just yet, though. I've had thoughts about ditching my LGT but then I decided I'd rather spend a couple of thousand dollars on aftermarket modifications then have to spend even more money to replace my car with a new Audi or Volvo.

The great thing about Subarus, the Legacy and the Impreza in particular, is that there is a wealth of high-performance aftermarket products available. Subarus are a tuners dream car. You might want to check out www.legacygt.com for information about ways to improve your brakes.

Also, if you haven't already trashed the crappy OEM RE92 tires, replace them with a high performance tire--that will improve your stopping distances, too and dramatically change the vehicle's handling. I put Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires on my car and would recommend them highly. For a little less money, I think the Toyo Proxes 4 is a good alternative. Both are all-season tires: passable in winter snow but not ideal for winter usage.
  • Options
    I had the driver side headlight burn out after 10-11 months (at about 30k miles). At that time, I ordered the Subaru dealer to replace both the burnt out headlight as well as the one that was still working. The service rep told me that Subaru had changed the lightbulbs it was using on the Legacy/Outback because it had been having issues with the original bulbs used. Since then (a couple of months ago) the bulbs have been fine--so far.
  • Options
    When it comes time to replace the brakes,without spending
    a lot of money are there better brake parts, pads, disc etc. without completely modifying the current set-up?
    I knew the OEM tires were a disaster before I bought the car and replaced them the day I drove off the lot. It pays to research on tire rack. Thank you for your input :D
  • Options
    smillersmiller Member Posts: 32
    I think Subaru and the dealer should do a recall and change the defective lightbulbs without asking. LOL
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Kat,

Pretty much every Subaru since the 1999 model year has used a dual-stage brake booster which I believe they are doing to reduce pedal effort. Unfortunately, it also reduces feel, especially in the initial pedal travel which feels squishy.

What can you do? Not much. A little bit of the squishy feeling is the rubber brake lines from the caliper to the chassis of the car. You can replace those with braided steel lines and it will help a little bit. I did that years ago on my (now long gone) '99 Impreza RS.

BTW, I agree that the pedal feel is a little nasty but it can go the other way too-- most late model BMWs I've driven have extremely touchy and overboosted brakes. I want to apply at least 40lb of force for max-effort braking, not 10lb. And I don't want half braking at 5lb of force, I just want to gently apply them.

Hope this helps. Your brakes are probably working fine, it's just that they weren't built to feel like the other vehicles you drove and you don't like it. Perfectly understandable.

~Colin
  • Options
    bobny57bobny57 Member Posts: 30
    I too replaced my OEM Bridgestone RE-92s at 5,000 miles on my 2005 OBXT Wagon for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Braking and handling improved vastly, no more hydroplaning. Just a thought.
  • Options
    I feel it mostly while waiting at a stop light,foot will be on the brake and then it starts to travel a bit and I push on the brake harder to keep the car from moving. Since
    I have experienced this with both Subaru's brand new,not worried but not inspiring confidence either. Thanks for the suggestion of braided steel lines will use that in the future. :)
  • Options
    babe915babe915 Member Posts: 34
    I like to change the coolant but the drain plug is covered by a plastic shield. there are two clips or plastic lugs
    that hold the cover on, do they snap off or is there a tool
    I need to remove them. before I break something I asking
    for your advice as some of you probably did the coolant change. Thanks
  • Options
    zowbudzowbud Member Posts: 1
    Read they same article and they indicated the problem was solved by having the dealer check the rpm sensor on the AC compressor. Didn't say if it was replaced or what.
  • Options
    kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Hi, Bob,

My 2K OB has three white plastic/nylon pop-out retainers seated in black guide rings towards the front of the shield. I just pop them out with a standard screwdriver, pull out the guide rings, and slide the shield out forward (look out - it can have a fair amount of crud in it depending on how/where you drive). I'd imagine yours is similar.

Ken in Seattle
  • Options
    I'd have the brakes bled by a credible servicer and see if it's the same afterwards. If so, yes, your problem is the dreaded dual-stage brake booster.

btw I wouldn't consider this a reason to sell a car!

~Colin
  • Options
    I added a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze (not Subaru anti-freeze)
    which I bought from an auto parts store. Is it ok to add a different brand to the original stuff that was put in at the factory, car is a year old with 7,000 miles. I've mixed
    it before in my first sube and no issues. I'd hate to do something to void the warranty. Hope I didn't hurt my vehicle? :confuse:
  • Options
    iknevs1iknevs1 Member Posts: 10
    I am new to this forum folks. I am trying to decide between the new rav4 and outback 2.5i.Does the lack of stability controls make a huge difference in snow and bad weather. Also the base tires are not thought to be very good . Any suggestions on better all-season tires.
    thanks
    iknev
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Stability control can make any given car safer, but it can also spoil the fun. Toyota's systems are known to kick in early and often.

VDC will spread to 9 Legacy/Outback models for MY07, but still not the base model you're considering.

-juice
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    VDC will spread to 9 Legacy/Outback models for MY07, but still not the base model you're considering.

Where did you hear this?? I was very disappointed that stability control was not optional on my 06 3.0R wagon. I may have waited a year if I had known it was going to become available, but at the time noone could answer the question.

Karl
  • Options
    Check under Subaru Crew - Future Models. I think Bob listed them.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I believe all '07 H6 models will have VDC.

Bob
  • Options
    smillersmiller Member Posts: 32
    iknev,
    Yes, the lack of stability control makes a huge difference. It will help if you start to lose control of the car. You might get a good discount on the insurance premiums too. The Rav4 is a great car, my friend has one and i've spent some time in it.
    I have the 2005 Outback 2.5i and if I had to do it over again today I would get the Rav4. If you look at JD Powers rating of the Subaru Outback vs. the Rav4 you will know what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Sorry Juice, but I may just have to shoot the messenger.
  • Options
    You guys rock! Juice , i have followed your comments for quite sometime! I will test drive the rav4 too especially the V-6.
    Anyone of good dealers for subaru or toyota in and around milwaukee iknev1
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Actually, proper tires and cautious driving make the biggest difference in poor weather. For snow and ice, nothing beats a proper set of dedicated winter tires and driving technique.

Where stability control helps is with at the limit situations. The vehicle is able to sense imminent over/understeer and make corrections in ways not possible to the driver. And as you may know, the limits are approached a lot sooner in mud, snow and ice.

The downside to AWD and stability control is that it provides the inexperienced driver with a false sense of security. While both can help immensely in poor weather, they can not defy the laws of physics and at some point no system will be able to help your under/oversteer situation.

Ken
  • Options
    A few months ago I had a posting asking for advice on suspension modifications for my 2005 Legacy GT Limited wagon (5-speed manual). I'm happy to report to you the following.

This weekend I installed Cobb front and rear tubular swaybars, Cobb front and rear billet endlinks, the Cobb double-adjustable short-throw shifter, and Cobb hardened shifter bushings. This transformation I'm calling "Spec C" following Subaru's "Spec B" (Bilstein) treatment of the Legacy GT. I also added to my vehicle a Subaru OEM subwoofer and STI (JDM spec) metal pedals.

I cannot begin to describe how much this has transformed the vehicle into a serious sporting machine (watch out Bimmers!). Prior to these modifications, I had seriously considered getting rid of my LGT and replacing it with an Audi A4 Avant or a Volvo V70R. While I loved the LGT's sweet engine (even though it is a thirsty beast), I was left unsatisfied with the handling capabilities because of the soft-tuned suspension.

With these "Spec C" modifications and my Pirelli PZero Nero M+S tires, I now feel the LGT is a worthy contender to its European rivals. The unpleasant body roll is now almost completely eliminated (I have the rear swaybar set at the softer setting--switching to the harder setting would probably eliminate lean completely). There is much less understeer now, and cornering is a true joy. Shifting gears is now short and precise, although perhaps a little more notchy than before. I feel like I have a new car--a car that I would actually want and buy if I didn't already own it!

The one modification I'm not thrilled with is the JDM spec STI metal pedals. I decided to buy the JDM spec rather than the USDM spec STI pedals because the JDM accelerator pedal is larger--this would make heel-toe downshifting easier (something at which I'm not very competent). Unfortunately, now the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal are very, very close together. If I'm not careful when braking, I'll unintentionally hit the accelerator as well. I'm concerned that when winter time comes around and I'm wearing boots, it may be difficult to brake without hitting the accelerator as well. I don't have huge feet (men's size 10). I suppose with time I'll get the hang of these new pedals, hopefully before I rear-end a vehicle in front of me!

So, to those of you who want to transform your '05-'06 Legacy, go the "Spec C" route--it's well worth the cost in my opinion. The Cobb parts mentioned cost me about $850 excluding shipping and installation. The STI pedals (both USDM or JDM) are overpriced--I now know I could have bought aftermarket pedals for half the price and they would have been just as good or better.

My next modification, which I'm considering for the future, is changing the springs and struts for Tein Flex coilovers with an EDFC controller. I'm not going to do this anytime soon--I'll wait until I get "bored" with my LGT again. Does anyone out there have experience with the Tein Flex coilovers on an LGT? I'd be interested to hear your experience.
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I get this thing every year from my insurance company Liberty Mutual which shows the IIHS claims for previous years, for 2002-2004 the RAV4 had an injury claims rate of 138 (average for group is 100) and a collision claims rate of 116. The CRV 96/90 and the Forester was 78/75. The Outback is in another group as its classed as a midsize and not a small vehicle but it had a 71 injuries, 70 collision claims rate.

I have not heard that stability control provides any insurance discount. FWIW for Liberty Mutual the 2 vehicles I have with ESC - Tribeca and Sienna do not have lower liability portion of the premium (presumably that is a function of both how often you crash and the results of that crash especially with respect to injuries as opposed to the collision portion which is a function of how much it costs to fix the damage) than any other of my other vehicles (I got 5 altogether) and are actually higher than my WRX which has the highest collision claims rate in its class (154) but the lowest injuries (74) - now does that say something about the structure of the WRX or what!

While I will certainly look for ESC on my future cars, especially for my kids who are getting to driving age, with a Subaru with good tires (and that also means winter ones for winter) I don't think having ESC will be a make or break deal.
  • Options
    satire2satire2 Member Posts: 22
    I have to second your comment - and Ken's - about dedicated winter snow tires as a great safety feature, and the most important one for those of us where it snows. Everything else is secondary when it comes to handling up here, even the VDC and the "Spec"-type stuff!

By the way, I like - so far - the standard equipment all-season tires for summer use, and am rather confused as to why people revile them. The only negative I notice is that they're a bit noisy compared to the Yokohamas on the 2.5i.

=gregg=
  • Options
    Stability control actually only comes into play in over-the-limit situations, by definition.

Toyota's system seems to act early and often, the thing is it sort of spoils the fun, not letting you bring the tail out, and with hyper-active traction control it's hard to get any momentum in sand or snow. I'd at least like to see an off switch.

Also, the RAV4 got only 4 stars for the passenger in NHTSA frontal tests, all new Subies manage 5 star safety all around.

Sure, I want stability control, but I'd pick permanent AWD and better crash tests scores over that option alone.

-juice
  • Options
    I have experience with Tein HA coilovers on an Impreza.

I would be very cautious about any sort of coilover on a Legacy GT. It is not a WRX STi.. I wouldn't give up too much ride quality. That said-- you've already done everything you possibly can without touching the struts & springs, and they are pretty soft.

However, the thing that scares me is this:
    "Front: 8kg, 448 lbs; Rear: 9kg, 504 lbs"

I don't know how the linkage works on the rear of the Legacy but I am sure that the front is a mcpherson strut which means 95-100% of the spring rate is the wheel rate. I had 8kg/m (448lb/in) springs up front with my Tein HAs and the ride was EXTREMELY rough on normal roads. Unless you have ridden in a car with this exact suspension on it and you are sure that you can live with it on a daily basis, I'd highly suggest that you look elsewhere. Your Legacy is a few hundred pounds heavier than my Impreza, but you'd still have a pretty dang high suspension frequency. It won't be nice.

~Colin
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You need to decide which is more important, AWD or stability control. The RAV shuts down AWD at pitifully low speeds.
  • Options
    In this test, the stability control and AWD had a fight and both lost. :D

http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=11004

Proof that on paper does not mean in the real world. That test was in Australia, same place we got the aerial Forester photos from. ;)

-juice
  • Options
    saintvipersaintviper Member Posts: 177
    Hey guys,
    Have a problem that's cropped up on my 05 GT Wagon lately. After about 20,000 miles of fine service, I noticed it was idling kinda rough at a stop light one day. My buddy and I were both in the car and could feel it actually shaking the whole car. Was not a steady shake either. It comes at irregular intervals, then pauses for a second, then comes back.

I figured I'd wait until my next oil change to have it checked out, but about a week later I got a check engine light. Since the cruise was out because of it, I took it in that week. The code was for a cylinder missfire. Was told that one of the spark plugs was fouled and they moved the injectors around. They also reset the ECU. Anyway, they said it was likely bad gas and charged me $175 even though the car is under warranty because it's not Subaru's fault.

I understand the charge if the issue was indeed bad gas, but I use Shell 93 octane V-power exclusively. Bad gas seemed pretty unlikely to me.

I began filling up with Mobile gas after this. For about a week after taking it in, the idle was nice and smooth again. Then the vibration came back and has been back since.

I've read on other forums that some shake from the boxer engine is normal. Seems to me that if it didn't do it for the first 20K miles, and didn't do it after an ECU reset, it's not normal. I'd like to get this fixed, but I'm afraid to go back and get charged again. Another dealer isn't an option as they are too far away. Anybody else run into this? Any suggestions?
  • Options
    On a side note, my Firestone Z50EP's are starting to get a little thin. I've been very happy with these tires. Any suggestions on replacements.
  • Options
    gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    I experienced the same short cycle with my 06 Outback AC, but it seems to have "broken-in" and corrected itself. Either that, or the weather is just cooler.
    I suggest waiting a bit before asking the dealer to repair it.
    Let us know what happens.

gearhead4
  • Options
    Hmmm. So you replaced a spark plug and the problem persists. Maybe a bad O2 sensor? Is the idle level okay?

Ken
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    In addition to Ken's comment, I think I would contact Subaru directly on this just to let them know their dealer is a, well, insert your own word here. I mean, charging you $175 for a hunch?! I would reply to that, "Well, when you prove it was bad gas, you can charge Shell. Until then, mind your own bad gas." Geez... bad gas, indeed.

That does not sound normal to me either. They may have replaced the affected parts, but they obviously did not solve the root of the problem. I would recommend having it looked at again and soon (hopefully before a misfire occurs), but only AFTER you have called 800.SUBARU3.

What do the rest of you think?
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Just to be clear, they didn't replace anything. They cleaned the spark plug from the cylinder that was missing. The service manager also said the switched 2 of the injectors around. Not sure what the point of that is, but they just switched the position of 2 of them, they weren't replaced.
  • Options
    Hi
    I just placed a deposit on 2006 H-6 outback base cloth wagon in champagne opal gold. The msrp is 30,017 and we agreed on 25,000 dollars before tax, title and registration (99 dollars). I am happy with the deal, i will get the car on tuesday or wednesday. any thoughts
  • Options
    reliable2reliable2 Member Posts: 9
    I hope the forum comments on this as I highly recommend an extended warranty for as long as you can afford as Subarus have great performance, value and safety, but do not expect them to be trouble free.A $1200 to $1500 investment upfront will give you piece of mind as I experienced over $3500 in repairs over the last year on my 2001 and 2005 Outbacks related to knock sensor, wheel bearing, electric, oil, tranny leaks, differential rebuilds and thank goodness the head gasket was covered by SOA due to widespread problems. Get the Gold warranty at the best possible price, confirm your dealers policy on free loaner cars during down time and expect your Subie to be about half way between a super reliable CRV and a problematic VW. Good luck as my 2001 was very good up to 75,000 miles and then took a crap until repairs were completed at 87,000 miles. The rest of the homeboys in this forum need to step up and tell it like it is rather than be Subie Polyannas - great cars but reliability is average at best and SOA is terrible at responding or satisfying the customer!
  • Options
    satire2satire2 Member Posts: 22
    Sounds super!! We've had a 95 Outback (when it was only a Legacy trim package!), 01 Forester, 04 Impreza, and now have two 06 Legacys. Over all those cars, we had zero problems of any kind except for some rust that I would consider premature on the Forester.

Have fun!

=gregg=
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I'm on my 5th Sube
    92 Legacy LS till 90K miles with no problems except the special air suspension specific to my model
    92 Legacy L with almost 100K, had a few sensors replaced but all occured after the ext warranty was finished so that was a waste of $$! , sold it to my office manager whose daughter has run it to 240K with minimal to no maintenance except oil change!
    98 Legacy GT with 125K now, needed most of the a/c replaced under ext warranty, had the cam seal oil leak also replaced under ext warranty and SOA paid for the timing belt too (dealer told them it was "damaged by the leak"), have also had uncovered items done free - HVAC bulb replacement, also went through 2 power antennas replaced under ext warranty
    02 WRX - only has 30K so who knows what will happen
    06 Tribeca - again too early to tell

I think its usually more the dealer being unresponsive than SOA, as I said, I've had stuff fixed under ext warranty which is really uncovered as the dealer bent over backwards!

coming from a "Honda family" I would say while the Subaru may not be as bullet proof as a 1980s/90s Honda/Toyota, it ain't bad and probably as good as recent Hondas from whats happening with others in my family.
    Can't say I had a lot of luck with my Integra - new clutch at 30K -and only one I've ever replaced on a manual at that early a mileage, new a/c at 60K (just like my Legacy!!) - and engine shot at 80K (makes my Chevy Venture look good - that went to 120K!) - the lesson being, always, always replace a Honda water pump at 60K!.
  • Options
    Just purchased a H-6 cloth base wagon. What sort of extended warranty is available with subaru and how much do they cost (street price)
    thanks
  • Options
    cyberfire12cyberfire12 Member Posts: 18
    Actually, that test was one of the reasons I chose the OB over the RAV4. I think the RAV is a better design from a roominess standpoint but the fulltime AWD and boxer engine is a much better system. FWIW, I really like the OB, but I wouldn't mind a little more usable room in the cargo area.
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Sure sounds like you have terrible luck. 47% of all the Subarus sold in the US are in New England and at one point I had 7 friends and relatives with them. I can't say any of them had the kind of problems you had.

The extended warranty you bought wouldn't help them when they did have problems as they were all in the range of 140,000 miles plus. Several of the 97-99 owners had the Phase I DOHC head gasket problem, about a $1,200 repair. I replaced mine preemptively. Another manufacturer who has had problems with head gaskets is Toyota....I also replaced the camshaft seals (4400) at around 110,000 miles, a wheel bearing at around 125,000 miles and an axle at 145,000 miles. Plus the usual brakes and tuneups.

My sister-in-law retired her 1997 Outback wagon at 244,000 miles - it was still running but pretty rough. She bought my 97 with "only" 165,000 miles on it. It has 175,000 now. She commutes 50 miles one way in VT.

I suppose some people will cross-shop a RAV4 and Outback wagon - presumably the AWD V6 versus one of the H6 models or turbos. We buy dedicated snows so I've never lost it in a situation where ESC might have helped, but in addition to the very well balanced drive system and suspension on the Subaru, the very sophisticated VDC system will be added to more vehicles for 07.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    Hi all - hope you can help. I have a 2006 Legacy sedan, 2.5i SE. Love the car, except for one major annoyance that is killing me. The front doors/windows are rattling/vibrating. I will be as precise as possible in desribing it:

Driving down the road, windows fully UP, there is a light to medium vibration in the door or window. Pressing on the top of the door panel (the black part of my two tone doors) stops the rattle. Lower the window not even an inch, noise is gone. Its a vibrating noise, sometimes a rattle. Had the dealer take off the door panels, add some insulation and grease, behind the spot that you press to make the noise stop. Didn't work. Its both front doors. It is not the typical wind noise from the mirror gussets.

What could this be? To me, since it only happens with windows all the way up, it makes me wonder if the windows go up too high or something? Seriously, the noise stops if you lower the window just a smidge. Almost just enough to the point where air and or water still wouldn't get in past the rubber seals on the body of the car.

Dealer is annoyed with me, I am annoyed with the car, and on my last legs here. Anyone have the same experience? Get it fixed successfully? I have tried posting on a Legacy specific site, but no one has the problem, or they do any they don't care about it. I will admit, I like my cars not to rattle when they only have 2000 miles on them. I know others expect rattles in cars with framless windows...but I really don't think I am asking too much for them to be quiet for at least awhile....

Thanks for any advice/feedback you could give! I can't believe I am the only one out there with this problem, but I guess its possible.
  • Options
    bigdickwbigdickw Member Posts: 1
    I have had thisproblem over the last three years. When there is high humitity/wet weather, my 1996 outback will not start at all & I don't have a clue what the problem is.
    I just had new sparkpugs & a timeing bellt installed & this didn't help at all. Help?????????????????
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    95-99 Legacys and Outbacks were very prone to electrical problems due to humidity / wetness. A lot of Subarus still are even to this day. Very hard to track down the component that is actually malfunctioning due to moisture build-up.

Does it crank normally? Do you have an alarm system with ignition kill that could be malfunctioning?
  • Options
    iknevs1: congrats on the H6, and yes, that price sounds great. Hope you enjoy it! :shades:

'96 Legacy falls outside of this thread, but think spark or fuel.

Spark. If the spark plug wires are original, try that first. Plugs if they're due. Then maybe the ignition coil, but don't panic that's just $80 or so from on-line wholesalers and you only need one.

Fuel. How old is your fuel filter? I'm on my 3rd one already, you should change it every 30k. Access is easy and they're cheap. Beyond that it could be the fuel pump or one of several sensors that is acting up. Do you get any Check-Engine Lights, is so do you have a code reader?

-juice
  • Options
    Hi juice,
    what is the best extended warranty on the subaru outback H-6 and how much does it usually cost? and I can buy it from another dealer other than the one I bought the car from. Am picking the car most probably tomorrow, will keep you guys posted, thanks
  • Options
    larrycrowelllarrycrowell Member Posts: 33
    I have an 05 OBXT and installed the HiddenHitch and JCWhitney converter. The OB was factory wired for trailer lights, but the plug was quite well hidden behind the left-rear interior panels. After I located the plug, the converter installation was plug-n-play. If I were you, I'd search very carefully in the same location for a factory wired connection; though I have no knowledge of it, I'd wager that the Legacy is also wired. If it is wired, then you have to check that the fuse for the 12VDC power is installed. Good luck.
  • Options
    If you decide to get an extended warranty, get a genuine Subaru one instead of an aftermarket brand. The cost of the warranty depends on how long of the coverage and the amount of deductible.

You can get the warranty from any dealer, not just the one you purchased from. Shop around since, like the vehicles, dealers will discount warranties.

The other important thing to keep in mind is that you can buy the extended warranty at any time during your 3-year factory warranty. While some people purchase up-front to roll into their financing, you basically are giving Subaru a free loan since the extended warranty doesn't kick in until your factory warranty expires.

Ken
  • Options
    I've not yet heard of a similar problem. If you are able to work with this dealer, see if they will have someone ride in your car with you to replicate the noise so they know exactly what you are talking about. Do you have another dealer you might be able to go to?

If you feel like you're not getting anywhere, call 1-800-SUBARU3 for customer support and have them set up a case # for you. This way, Subaru themselves can check up on the progress of the repair to make sure it's being handled correctly.

Ken