Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford F-150 SUPERCREW

Comments

• Options
    mtnmikemtnmike Member Posts: 100
    Just finished a 400 mile roundtrip in the mountains. All up and down highway mountains of Colorado at high altidudes. This 5.4L gave me the best mileage yet at 18.7 MPG average. Sadly in town driving is only producing 14.2MPG. LUV THIS TRUCK!!!!

Mtn Mike
  • Options
    glenc1glenc1 Member Posts: 4
    My '01 Screw was delivered in late Oct. I ordered another unit which arrived last week, and noticed (like someone stated before) that the seat style had changed. Specific to my fleet, I use my back seat for seating more than the user of the second unit will-I am going to switch the seats around . Here's my point-it seems that FOMOCO is always surprising customers with these changes. Details shown on the literature are inconsistant with the actual product. Since 1997, I have purchased 37 F150's, Rangers, Expeditions and now 2 SuperCrews. This seems to be a common thing. I have also posted comments with Ford, but had no response. Hopefully someone from Ford will read and have an impact on stabilizing what is already an excellant product line
  • Options
    Glen you may find this string interesting and I agree they have changed this model several times since its first release. The headrest are a safety issue:

http://www.f150online.com/f150board/Forum49/HTML/000897.html

Mtn Mike
  • Options
    runner21runner21 Member Posts: 28
    The best mileage I've been getting is 15.1 mpg.
    mtnmike, how are you getting 18+? It's not that I don't believe you, but that is pretty good for a 4x4. Also, I am glad to hear you are enjoying your truck as much as I am. I have been on two road trips in the last three weeks and that truck is a treat to drive...
  • Options
    Runner,

I don't know what to tell you other than those figures I posted are correct. This was the second time I have taken a lengthy trip into the mountains and enjoyed great gas mileage. Living in Colorado I do have the "High Altitude" package on this 5.4L V-8; but I am not sure that would make any difference. Combined city/highway driving has been only a little above the average. Actually my mileage has gone down slightly for combined city/highway since I first bought the truck. I am using 87 octane "Texaco" gasoline.

Mtn Mike

F-150 XLT Super Crew, 4X4, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Arizona Beige, 17" tires & Wheels, 5.4L V-8, Power Drivers Seat, Limited Slip, Side Steps, Extang Tonneau, ETC. delivered 08/29/00
  • Options
    buddywbuddyw Member Posts: 5
    I HAVE A 5.4 IN MY SC I NOTICED A PUFF OF SMOKE SOMETIMES WHEN I FIRST START IT. ANY ONE ELSE HAVING SAME PROBLEM. ALSO HAD A WATER LEAK DRIVER DOOR,CAME IN AT BOTTOM OF DOOR PANEL. BUDDY
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    no puff of smoke from mine! also, just recently put almost 1k miles on the truck and it didn't appear to use any oil despite it being brand new.
  • Options
    I haven't noticed any puff of smoke; but it is not unusual for that to occurr on a cold start. 2400 miles and no drop on oil dipstick.

Mtn Mike
  • Options
    today while waiting for my gas tank to fill up, i was looking through my owner's manual and came across some interesting info. it says that the use of "premium" fuel is not recommended for the s-crew! use of said fuel could cause driveability problems. anyway, also states in there that ford supports the use of "reformulated" fuels. i'm guessing this means the use of 10% ethanol would be okay. however, it doesn't explicitly say this. only says you can't use methanol. anyone know the answer? where i live the ethanol blend is either rated at 89 or 90 octane. thanks...
  • Options
    I really can't answer your question other than to say the recommended octane rating is 87 octane. If you get no response on this board you may want to post on the "Super Crew" message board at
    "F-150 On line":

http://www.f150online.com/

Mtn Mike
  • Options
    Any of you who feel there is a safety issue with the lack of rear seat headrests on the S-Crews built without them should take the time to complete a simple NHSTA safety form over the internet. There is a campaign posted on other "S-Crew" message boards to bring this to their intention in order to cause Ford to re-call and install the rear passenger headrests in S-Crews not so equipped. You will find this form which can be filled out online at:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm

To view the issue on the "F-150 On Line" message board go to:

http://www.f150online.com/f150board/Forum49/HTML/000897.html

Mtn Mike
  • Options
    lee75lee75 Member Posts: 15
    Take Mtn Mike's advice and submit a compliant IF you think it's a safety issue (which I do). Great truck, but this is an issue that Ford should address.
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    If you're having problems with your Ford F-150, or have advise for those with problems, please visit Pickups Topic 2482, Ford F-150 Problems.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Edmunds.com/Roving Host
  • Options
    mtnmike,

thanks for the feedback. was at the dealership the other day and saw an s-crew with the new style cloth seats. they do seem a little more contoured. wonder if the leather seats will be the same? if so, they will look much "richer" than the current leather seats. also was on the ford website and noticed that they now are offering seat heaters on the s-crew. i'm starting to really wish i'd waited and ordered a new truck rather than taking one off the lot. cuz, if i had, i would have gotten the leather, seat heaters and moonroof! humm...i'm afraid to ask how much my truck has already depreciated...
  • Options
    I am looking for a fiberglass campershell for my 01 f-150 supercrew. any one know of any companys that are making them for these project trucks I like the ones snug tops makes but they don't offer one for sc yet. I know they are out there i saw one but couldn't catch up to ask where he got his at. thanks buddy
  • Options
    seldomseentooseldomseentoo Member Posts: 13
    Anyone out there have any comments on the 4.6 vs the 5.4. I'm looking to purchase a xlt screw in the spring and still debating on size. I don't plan on towing/hauling anything but, plan to have this bugger for a long time and may tow in the future. Now with kid and dog need more space. My old 1984 s015 ext cab is getting tired. I also was looking at the dakota quad, but haven't heard any good news on MPG in this vehicle, plus for a few more bucks, can get a real truck......
  • Options
    go for the gold, get the 5.4 bigger is better. it's hard to go back and get the 5.4 if u get the small one now. my gas mpg is about 16.0 and towing my rockwood pop-up is about 15.0 not bad when u put all the space and safety together. also don't know how the 4.6 would sound with flow masters but the 5.4 sounds good:::::
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    If you can afford it....go with the 5.4....
  • Options
    Drove both before buying. Noticed a big difference. I ordered the 5.4L and am very glad I did. You can never have enough torque when you really need it!!!! So don't cut yourself short.

Mtn Mike
  • Options
    tomps57tomps57 Member Posts: 24
    Anyone received their congratulatory note about buying a Supercrew from some exec in Ford along with the blanket that sports a S'crew? Not much, but at least the first time I or anyone in my family can recall a mfgr thanking us for buying their vehicle.... No if they will just give me my headrests! Complaint registered, thanks mtnmike!
  • Options
    I haven't received anything yet. I even mentioned if rather or not I was going to receive one when I filled out my survey that I got after I picked my truck up. Am still waiting, because I heard from a lady who received one and she bought a used Explorer.
  • Options
    clshaw17clshaw17 Member Posts: 12
    I just received my ARE Z-series top. Approx $1300 and its a really nice top. I'll take a pic and post it soon. Look at http://www.4are.com/
  • Options
    bassman4321bassman4321 Member Posts: 11
    I'm taking the boat over to the mainland tomorrow to pick it up. 42 days from placing order to arrival. I feel just like a kid before Christmas!

Plain white, 4x4, lariat, 5.4, moonroof, slding rr window, tow grp, off-road, 17" cast alum, 6-disc CD, and 10 US GAL. of GAS.
  • Options
    fullsizefullsize Member Posts: 14
    Hey BuddyW -- SnugTop DOES make a lid for the Screw. Mine's sitting on my truck in my driveway right now, looking all pretty and everything. ;>) (Excellent fit).
  • Options
    Drove mine home today,I learned much from this board. Westin, Line-x, Zaino...etc.
    What can I say this is a great Truck.
  • Options
    Bassman!

Congratulations!!! You will absolutely love your truck! Got 4 months on mine now and love it more than when I first bought it. Great piece of machinery.

Mtn Mike
  • Options
    Mtn Mike,

I spent a year or so in your neck of the woods in Allens Park back in 1970-71, paradise.

For all who want a lot more on this great truck try f150online.com

Bassman
  • Options
    Has anyone experienced any problem with getting their SCrews in the garage? Or, should I ask anyone not being able to get theirs in the garage? I have the 4x4 with the 17" wheels. I just purchased a new house a have not measured the new garage yet, and am worried that my SCrew will have to brave the elements for the years to come. I know there has been a discussion about this before but can't seem to find it. And the only thing I can remember is that someone's antenna was scraping. Any ideas or info would be helpful.
  • Options
    timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    Length will probably be more of a concern than height, depending on the generosity of the architect and builder. My F-150 Supercab SB is close to the same length as the Supercrew and I have maybe 10 inches clearance to be split between the front and back so that my garage door will close behind the truck. Height is no problem at all (even though mine is 2WD, there is plenty of height remaining under my Sears garage door opener for the taller 4X4).

If it does fit and you opt for squeezing into the garage then I would advise some positive stop for the tires rather than relying on the typical hanging tennis ball. One mistake when you are tired and you'll discover the hard way just how much inertia a 2 ton object has (and how little resistance the garage wall can muster against that shearing force)!
  • Options
    Hey Runner

I have a standard size garage (three car). My S-Crew just fits with about a two inch clearance from the rear bunper and the garage door. I did put a styrofoam pad on the front of the garage as I have to place the front bumper against that wall. Works great and just fits. I also have 17" wheels and tires. The antenae scrapes the garage door on entry but not to the point it will damage it.

Mtn Mike

F-150 XLT Super Crew, 4X4, Deep Wedgewood Blue/Arizona Beige, 17" tires & Wheels, 5.4L V-8, Power Drivers Seat, Limited Slip, Side Steps, Extang Tonneau, ETC
  • Options
    sounds like you have the same truck I have, but I went with the Deep Wedgewood Blue/Silver and the sliding rear window with the moon-roof. And I don't have bed cover yet. We've got 6" of snow so far today and driving that truck in the snow is a real treat. Thanks to you and tim for the info. I am pretty sure it will fit now.
  • Options
    Yo Runner,

Love that color!!! Ya been driving in snow here this baby does real well. Hey let me know if it fits!! It should!

Mtn Mike
  • Options
    smilinsmilin Member Posts: 11
    For rm13 and pbolts:
    Sorry for the delay in responding..been on an extended road trip to California in my Screw..great way to travel!!
    I went with a Penda SR drop in liner. No open gaps for gravel to get behind. Front tie downs are "capped over" and easy to remove. Rear tie downs actually are used to anchor the liner to side of bed. Tight fit and no static electric hits when accessing the vehicle.
    The rear head rests are the same height as the front seat head rests and adjust up and down as the front does. I have the new contoured cloth seats and they are sharp and exceptionally comfortable both front and rear.
    Hope this helps and good luck with your decision making. So far, I'm still Smilin'.
    Happy holidays y'all.
  • Options
    mbaskombasko Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have the 0 to 60 numbers on the 4.6 and 5.4 engines? I'm interested in the supercrew, but don't plan on towing anything so I don't need the bigger engine for that reason. However, I have not had any luck in finding any acceleration numbers to understand if there is a large difference between the 2 engines. I appreciate the help.
  • Options
    jaco_miajaco_mia Member Posts: 1
    I picked up my new 2001 supercrew on thursday night and i have to say it was love at first sight. I love everything about the truck except it does not have radio controls on the steering. As far as quality .... well the paint is bubbled on the edge of the hood and one of my power door locks stopped working after owning the car for 1 day. Lastly the same door has a defective door moulding. All in all, I am extremely happy with the truck.... Ford should consider more quality control inspectors at the assembly plant. Hopefully nothing else will break. By the way my 4 year old loves the truck too.
  • Options
    Mbasko,

I live in Colorado and these are not exactly hills here. Anyway I have driven my 5.4 over passes in the 12,00 ft range. Not the slightest bid of "plodding". Superior acceleration uphill even at those altitudes. Plenty of pedal left if needed. The torque in the 5.4L makes all the difference in the world over the 4.6L. As most people know the torque is what is the true indicator not horsepower. HP is for commercial value; torque is reality, and the 5.4L has it all. Also at the altitudes the "high altitude package is standrad for Ford.

Mtn Mike
  • Options
    tallmantallman Member Posts: 21
    Good things come to those who wait. I went by the dealership yesterday and there it was. They are prepping it as I type. Thanks to everyone who posted here. i will keep everyone posted as time goes by. I am taking it for a three hour round trip this weekend - should be fun.

4X4 XLT, 5.4, Moonroof, Cloth Captain Chairs, Off Road Pkg with 17" tires, Bright red with Arizona Biege two-tone
  • Options
    newtruck6newtruck6 Member Posts: 2
    I'm on the verge of getting a new truck. I've looked at the Silverado Extended cab and the SCrew. I'll be pulling a trailer (2 horse) at times & have 3 kids & 2 dogs. It appears the silverado offers almost as much rear room & a larger engine for less money (xlt with the 4.6L for 25K versus the LS with a 5.3L for 24K) . Anybody have any opinions (well founded) as to the reliability of both models. I hope to make this the last truck I buy for about 10 years so reliability is at the top of the list.

Any input is appreciated

Thanks

Mark
  • Options
    The only opinion I can give is with respect to the S-Crew. It is one fine truck. If you have any doubts drive both and compare. Sit in both and you will find the Screw roomier and much more accomodating for your family needs. The 5.4L V-8 will more than meet your towing needs. For me its a no brainer. Ford trucks are and always have been superior to Chevrolets.

Mtn Mike
  • Options
    rm13rm13 Member Posts: 46
    I just realized you're comparing the 4.6 to the 5.3 when looking at prices. I think you'd really want the 5.4 over the 4.6 if you choose the Ford(I think its $680 more invoice-wise). The Supercrew is more expensive than the GM excab (and Ford excab). I have noticed a lot more posts at Edmunds regarding problems with Silverado/Sierra than Fords. Maybe GM owners are more likely to own cpmputers?
  • Options
    richardh45richardh45 Member Posts: 10
    New Truck,

Okay, let's back the truck up.

It looks like you are comparing comparable trucks with comparable trim levels, but not with comparable engines. Look at the Ford with the 5.4 when you compare to the Chevy with the 5.3.

Now, with all variable things being equal, look at both vehicles and drive both vehicles. They both have features and problems to be considered. You have to decide which one you want to live with for the next X years.

I like Chevy's Tow/Haul switch and their 4x4 options. I don't like the LT's interior with the mandatory console.

Decisions, decisions. We all have to make them.

Good luck,
    Richard H
  • Options
    richardh45richardh45 Member Posts: 10
    RM13,

Yes, we all have problems. But, just like you observed, it seems that Chevy/Sierra is plagued with problems more than Ford.

After reading all of the postings, it really makes you wonder which problems you want to take a chance on and what you are willing to do if you encounter them.

I have had Fords for most of my life (53 now) and I have not had any chronic problems. My current vehicle is a 94 S-Blazer that has never given me major problems, but I wonder if I should have gotten the Explorer instead. I keep thinking that I should have.

Regards,
    Richard H
  • Options
    awhile back I posted that my in-dash cd player causes the cds to get very hot while in operation. well, recently while on an extended trip the cd player actually quit working and the message "cd hot" flashed up on the radio monitor screen. granted it was very cold outside (-10F) and I had the heater turned up somewhat, but this shouldn't happen. anyone else notice or have similar happen to them?

to the individual who posted that ford needs to work on quality... would agree somewhat. I got my s-crew the second week of October and have since noticed a few paint problems and a mis-aligned hood which the dealership fixed. the paint on the edge of the hood is very rough and there was a bubble in one of the doors. dealership told me entire hood would have to be repainted if i wanted that fixed. they were able to get out the bubble in the door.
  • Options
    kreiberkreiber Member Posts: 1
    Silverado vs S-crew. Good choices. We have a 99 Explorer and a 96 Silverado.

The Chevy has great power, but we had alot of brake and 4X4 problems. The Chevy has been great when it hasn't been in the shop.

I've been a Ford owner for a long time and I really like the S-crew. We are looking to trade for the S-crew to haul 2 kids, 2 dogs, and the grandparents. We need all the room we can get.

There is more leg room in the S-crew. So for comfort I like the S-crew. The flip out tail gate extender gives the extra space to haul things as well.

Hope you enjoy your new truck for many years to come!!

MustangMom
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    If you're having problems with your F-150, or have advise for those with problems, please visit our F-150 Problems discussion.

Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Pickups Message Board
  • Options
    ford4kenford4ken Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,I ordered a new Supercrew 4x4, Lariat back in October. Ford still has not started production on this vehicle. Anybody else have a similar problem or should I start making a pain in the a** of myself to the dealership where I bought it.... thanks
  • Options
    are u sure your order went through? i don't think the s-crew is selling so fast that ford can't keep up with demand so i'd go to the dealer and rant and rave, and get back your deposit if you put one down...
  • Options
    ford4kenford4ken Member Posts: 7
    I ordered it online, saved about 5k in price by going around the dealership and ordering direct. The dealership online that I ordered it from says that a production date has still not been put on my truck. I'm just getting a little frustrated that I put a thousand dollar eposit on it and they haven't even started it yet.

ken
  • Options
    hummm...sounds like that dealership is taking you for a ride and using your money at the same time...
  • Options
    lullman1lullman1 Member Posts: 15
    After months of agonizing over what vehicle to replace my 91 Explorer Eddie Bauer with, Ford has finally built the perfect truck for me. Tomorrow I'm ordering a Screw King Ranch, Estate Green w/Arizona Beige Two Tone, Loaded w/5.4, Moon Roof, 6 cd, Bed xtend, Sliding Rear window, Trailer Tow, Skid Plates. Beautiful Truck. Have owned only ford trucks for last 20 years. 91 Explorer I'm giving to my wife. Just been painted. Like brand new even though has 228,000 Miles on original engine. Tranny was replace with 136,000 miles on it. Best damned vehicle I've ever owned. Just passed Massachusetts emissions with flying colors. Is driven 75 miles a day @ 80-85 mph to work and back. Oil change every 3k works wonders. Expecting the new one late March. Screw Chevy, Ford Forever!
This discussion has been closed.