Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

14567810»

Comments

• bjohn1225bjohn1225 Member Posts: 16
    How likely is it that there will be any low financing rates (3.9 or 4.9%) offered on Sport Trac or Super Crew in the near future? I never would have thought to ask this silly question, but a salesman at a local Ford dealer thought that since special rates are offered on the Ford Focus focus already, there might be something offered on the Sporttrac soon. I think any incentives are 6 mo. to a year away, but thought I'd ask anyway.
  • wpoewpoe Member Posts: 41
    The rates that my dealer gave me was 6.9% for 36 months and 7.9 for 48 and 60 months.
  • rschfamilyrschfamily Member Posts: 19
    Yes...the Premium Sport Group requires the 4.10 axle which adds an extra $302 invoice and $355 retail. I am not an engineer so I don't understand why you could not get the 3.73.

Also, Ford's ala carte equiptment packages are at first enticing since there is only one base model of the ST. But at closer look, they're all kinda linked together so you can't get one without the other.

Bottom line though is even when you get everything loaded, (w/out 4x4) it's a very attractive vehicle and priced well. I ordered a loaded 4x2 w/ everything except moonroof and after reading the previous problems ...am glad I did not.

By the way, here's another tip for you ST fans. Cabelas offers a nice set of nylon seat covers ... and as I expect to get my ST dirty hauling stuff ... I thought it well worth the costs to order these covers. They're about $25.00 each for the buckets and $60.00 for the bench.
  • bjohn1225bjohn1225 Member Posts: 16
    How likely is it that there will be any low financing rates (3.9 or 4.9%) offered on Sport Trac or Super Crew in the near future? I never would have thought to ask this silly question, but a salesman at a local Ford dealer thought that since special rates are offered on the Ford Focus focus already, there might be something offered on the Sporttrac soon. I think any incentives are 6 mo. to a year away, but thought I'd ask anyway.
  • scoot99scoot99 Member Posts: 18
    I have a ranger, with an aftermarket soft tonneau on it. Soft tonneaus are just that soft, they can be easily opened by pulling the snaps. There is little security with them. I went with the soft tonneau b/c I did not feel like paying $500 for a hard one, Also any cover that you put on the back of the bed will decrease the amount of drag that you put on the back tailgate, so I would imagine that it would also improve gas mileage, anyway it helped on my ranger, cause I used to get in the low 20's but with the cover I get close to 30mpg, I have the 2.3l 4cyl.
  • dolphins66dolphins66 Member Posts: 78
    Just talked to my dealer today and was told that the build date on our ST (ordered Feb. 28th) will be May 8th. This was confirmed by Ford when I called them. For a vehicle that was supposed to take 6-8 weeks for delivery, we will now be waiting until the beginning of June for delivery! At least that's what the dealer stated...2+weeks for delivery after manufacture date. That will be 14 weeks! Then again, who knows, it may be longer! I realize this is not the dealer's fault but Ford truly should have taken it into consideration that this would be a hot item and to make sure they were prepared for the orders. I just don't understand why or how it can take this long especially since there are folks in other states who already got delivery with the same options we ordered. Very disappointing. Hopefully this will all be worth the wait but what a looooooooooong what at that!
    Just talked to my dealer today and was told that the build date on our ST (ordered Feb. 28th) will be May 8th. This was confirmed by Ford when I called them. For a vehicle that was supposed to take 6-8 weeks for delivery, we will now be waiting until the beginning of June for delivery! At least that's what the dealer stated...2+weeks for delivery after manufacture date. That will be 14 weeks! Then again, who knows, it may be longer! I realize this is not the dealer's fault but Ford truly should have taken it into consideration that this would be a hot item and to make sure they were prepared for the orders. I just don't understand why or how it can take this long especially since there are folks in other states who already got delivery with the same options we ordered. Very disappointing. Hopefully this will all be worth the wait but what a looooooooooong wait at that!
  • fordsporttracfordsporttrac Member Posts: 300
    dolphins66,

Actually if you read through the previous posts you will find its actually your dealers fault.

Ford told the dealers Q1 production is limited. (See the previous post from scoot99) The larger dealers get the first allotments and your dealer sold the vehicle to you knowing this. He sold his allotment out to your build date before you ordered. The dealer knew this and didn't tell you until they had your money. Take it up with them.

The Dealer is also aware the Tonneau cover is late availability. If you ordered the vehicle with the cover that would further explain your delay. Again read through the previous posts.

BTW, Edmunds has a problem when posting using a browser. Don't use the Forward/Back buttons or you will get duplicate posts. Use the buttons provided on the WEB pages themselves.
  • craig002craig002 Member Posts: 32
    can you expand on your comments that the Dealers "sold the allotment for the build date."

My truck is supposed to be here next Thursday. But I have been waiting since early December. This might give me something to discuss when I make my check out to the dealer.
  • mustangbzmustangbz Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    We have had our sport trac for 5 days now and we
    love it. EXCEPT... I think we have a bad power steering pump. I am taking it back to the dealer here in the next day or so, So we will see what they say.
    We bought at Galpin ford in Van Nuys,Ca
    4x2 cloth interior and no moonroof(I'm glad)but with the sport package,convience group for
    $25,000... and they wouldn't budge on the price.
    They have about 20 in stock also.
  • ltlbgdgltlbgdg Member Posts: 5
    craig002

why is your ST taking so long to get here? It sounds like you have been waiting as long as I have. What options did you order on your truck that may be causing the delay? I don't understand why my ST still shows "material hold" even though I deleted the tonneau back in March. Heck! I thought the truck would have already have been built and just waiting for the tonneau cover to be completed. Any ideas?
  • tl565tl565 Member Posts: 78
    The ST is selling much better than Ford anticipated. Ford has even held off on TV advertising campaign to help supply catch up with demand according to Automotve News.

Your wait times are a function of how many orders are in before your order was made as well as how many units your particular dealer is allocated per month. Ford has the capacity to build 50,000 units in 2000 and already had more than 30,000 orders by the end of February.
    fordsporttrac,

Thank you for your comments; however, my dealership IS a large volume dealership. What's your answer to that? And no, we did not order a tonneau cover so that does not help to explain the delay. As for Edmunds having a problem posting using a browser, thanks, but I did figure that one out.

BTW, your tone seems a little bit rude, or is it just my imagination? I DID read through previous posts so I am aware of the comments that you have mentioned. And perhaps you might explain further what you mean by, "He sold his
    allotment out to your build date before you
    ordered." If it means what I think it means, that would not be possible since we were the first to order the ST through that dealer. I do appreciate any kind remarks or answers. Thank you.
    ltlbgdg,

The options we ordered included everything except 4x4, hard tonneau cover, payload package and engine block heater. I guess "sporttrac" seems to have a lot of answers so maybe he will have some more insight on this since neither Ford nor the dealer seem to have any answers.
  • ford1960feford1960fe Member Posts: 7
    Reference #483. So did your husband get rid of the F-150? And how does he like the S T? Does he
    find he misses the larger bed? I did take an ST
    for a ride last evening, I thought it had enough power although not a big differance in gas mileage according to the EPA (19 ST / 18 F-150).
    I like the sunroof. Is easier to handle.
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    For whats its worth, I have noticed that many of the Sport-Trac post are very gung ho on getting the hard tonneau cover, maybe for looks. I have looked at the Sport-Trac and think its a great looking vehicle and as a Ranger owner that has a hard cover I have to state that its not worth it. I bought my Ranger as a lease turn in and it came with the cover. Its great in the winter to cover up anything in the bed used as weights but I remove it after the winter season for ease of loading. Because the cover opens like a clam shell it restrict you from placing large objects in the bed. Now my Ranger has a larger bed than the ST so your opening will be much less. Grant you, you may say that I won't be hauling things around that often but when you do the shell will get in the way. A soft cover will allow you to uncover the bed and and load up easily. Again just my opinion.
  • craig002craig002 Member Posts: 32
    I ordered a 4x4. everything else was pretty much standard. Cloth seats, premium sport group and convenience group. Maybe they ran out of white paint?
    Dealers are given a set allotment of STs that they can order each month. This is usually based on the quantity of vehicles they sell. If your dealer already placed orders for his own stock to sell off the floor, then it is possible that the dealer's allotment is already filled for the month. Even if no one else placed an order the dealer most likely ordered all he could for his own inventory. However, a customer-ordered vehicle is usually given a higher priority number by the dealer and will take priority over his own order.
  • fordsporttracfordsporttrac Member Posts: 300
    dolphins66,

Sorry you feel my post was rude but your
    interpreting my tone base on words and not the
    actual inflection of my voice.

The reason I referred you to the previous posts was your question is about information that was
    supplied in previous posts. But you failed to
    mention you had read them and were looking for
    additional/other information. For example you
    failed to say in your original post that your
    dealer was high volume and you did not order the
    Tonneau cover, both delays covered in previous
    posts. Because you did not supply that information I assumed you were a newbe who didn't read before asking.

--------------------
    Dealers are allotted so many vehicles based on the
    sales for the previous months. The more allotments
    they have, the more limited availability vehicles
    they can order. Since your dealer is a high volume Ford Truck dealer (not high volume car dealer) he should have allotments to order your vehicle. The dealer is allowed so many each month or quarter I'm not sure which.

Q1 production of ST was limited so I'm sure
    further restrictions on number of units were given. The dealer knows exactly where they stand and when your vehicle will fit in their allotment.

Assume they were allotted 10 units for the month of March, they will order all of them even if they
    have not been sold/ordered. You order a unit in
    march also, but they "MIGHT" wait until April to
    process your vehicle. It makes $$$ sense for them
    because they can sell/demo marches vehicles off the lot and still get your order. You just get pushed back 15 to 30 more days.
    AND
    As tl55 points out customer ordered vehicles are
    usually given a higher priority than vehicles for
    the lot. But the dealer can decide to lower your
    priority and raise his. Heck he's got your money
    and if they get another sale off the lot in front of you that's more $$$$ in their pocket. Just because they placed your order on xx/xx/xx they could put your priority low.

If they are not reputable they will play the game
    of averages and push you to your limit. If they
    are real crooks they might even sell your vehicle
    off the lot and then make up some story. (THAT IS
    VERY RARE but I've heard of it.)

The dealer I contacted explained all of the
    possible delay's in ordering to me. The cover,
    cargo cage, limited Q1 availability and more. What I wanted to point to you is your anger at Ford is misdirected. If I found out all of this
    information from my dealer why didn't yours tell
    you?

Oh and don't expect Ford to bite the hand that
    feeds them. Dealers are how they sell cars. If
    your dealer delays your vehicle to better their own profits, Ford (or any auto company) isn't going to announce it to you.

I'm not saying any of the above is DEFINATLY what
    is happening to you. But with the information you
    provided it looks like they held back info to get
    the sale.

Production in Q2 is rumored to be up so orders
    should start appearing faster. Another Rumor is in
    Q4 a new ST will be offered. Probably with a V8
    option. One of the regular posters to this thread
    works for the Tonneau cover manufacturer and says cover delivery should begin in June. Cargo cage delivery has already began.

Good luck with your ST order.
  • zack1000zack1000 Member Posts: 84
    Hciaffa--

Could you give me an example of what type of object you think the hard cover restricts the loading of? I'm going blank trying to come up with an example to illustrate your posting.

I figure with the back panel of the cover flipped open and the tail gate down, I should be able to easily load anything I need to that will fit under the cover.
  • goosemystergoosemyster Member Posts: 9
    Me and my wife orderd a st some 8 weeks ago and we found out that the dealer we were dealing with didn't order it. He thought he would try and sell us one they had coming in. Well we decided to go shopping. I hope this works out>> We got a deal with money on it already for $45.00 over invoice and what he is going to do since they didn't have one we wanted is do a dealer to dealer trade. st for st to get us one like we want. That eliminated odering one. He said I will have it in two weeks... let me know what you guys think of this!!!!
  • rangerknowhowrangerknowhow Member Posts: 25
    THis can be touph, its a good deal but make sure you look at the mileage. Edgey test drivers like to be alittle harsh on the virgin motors in a new vehicle. And since the Sprttrc is new. Its probobly been beet to hell by Testy Testers. So try to get one with under 30 miles on it. CHANGE THE OIL AND FILTER FIRT THING YOU DO AND REMEBER TO BE EASY FOR THE FIRST THOUSAND MILES> CONGRATS YOU CHOOSE A GOOD ONE!!!!!
  • hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    Try to picture the hard cover only opening at an angle, the cover will only open up as far as the struts will allow it to. On my Ranger I got one of the best covers on the market and it will only open up to about 45 degrees yes grant you have the bed extender and this will allow you about 2 ft. more, but if you have a major type appliance such as a large t.v. you can only get it in the bed so far. thats why I'm trying to sell it and get a good qualty soft cover . Like I said it my 2cents.
  • gpd22gpd22 Member Posts: 14
    I have been especially interested in the writings about dealership size and order allotments. I would contend that if you reads most of these posts, you will receive insightful updates and you will have the necessary information to assess your dealer’s honesty and efforts on your behalf.

I stated in an earlier post that I ordered my ST for a small dealer on 3/30/00. Well, I finally received the VIN today, but Ford cannot tell me the build date. The dealer sales rep left me the VIN on my answering machine, so I was unable to ask for additional information. I’m hoping to see the vehicle by 6 Jun. I ordered a 4x2 with everything except the tonneau cover, engine heater and upgraded payload package. Yes, I got both the 6 disc cd and the moon roof. :) Hopefully, I will have better luck with each. I will order the soft tonneau cover (probably a much better option, especially with the cargo cage) for either $203, uninstalled, or $264, dealer installed.

When I ordered my vehicle, I ask the sales rep for a copy of the dealer order receipt to: verify the order (that it was sent and when), verify that my options were correct, and use the order number to call Ford customer service directly.

This smaller dealership (seemingly in selling volume and number of total vehicles on the lot) has received one ST to date. To my knowledge, I was the first person to order an ST from this dealership—the sells manager ask me several questions about the selling price from other dealers. Conversely, a much larger dealership, which was not willing to negotiate with me, has not received a “new” ST. The dealership obtained a total of three used STs with less than 2000 miles and sold two for top dollar. These vehicles did not have the original factory sticker on the window, so I asked the sales rep if these were new or used vehicles. When I walked in to the dealership, the STs were located with the new vehicles—misleading or good salesmanship? More importantly, I haven’t determined the relationship between volume sales and quantity of new orders. However, I will continue to ask the hard questions and post the answers here.
  • rontrollrontroll Member Posts: 4
    I ordered my ST 4x4 on March 5th. I picked it up on April 26th. That's not too long of a wait compaired to some but it seemed like forever. I was a little upset when I found out the truck had been sitting on the show room floor for a day and a half by the time I knew it was there. It's a great truck. I told them to remove all the dealership emblems and stickers. No problems with the power steering, cd player, or leaks...YET! This truck gets a lot of attention. Seems at almost every stop light the person next to me wants to know all about it. I don't mind at all.
  • mikeysmommikeysmom Member Posts: 18
    Post 507. We haven't gotten our ST yet, ordered it on 4/7/00 no build date yet. We just sold our F150. In 2 weeks we'll be down to 1 vehicle. I don't think he'll miss the full size bed that much. I know that he doesn't want to help anymore people move or haul things. So that was also a big factor in ordering the ST - a much smaller bed. He didn't even want to order the cargo cage which I thought he would. In fact he hasn't even test drove the ST. Only I did. He took my word on how it drove and handled. He trusts my judgment alot I guess. I know he CANNOT wait until we get the ST. He's going on a golf trip at the beginning of June and had hoped that the ST would be here by then but we have already resolved to the fact that it won't be. Hopefully by the end of June. We didn't order the hard cover and are planning on ordered the soft. I have seen it on another ST in the neighborhood and it looks just fine. I seen the hard cover on a ST at my dealership in the middle of March on a Mandrian Gold ST. Took the dealership 2 weeks to sell that one. I didn't like the hard cover. Too boxy for me.
  • lasveganlasvegan Member Posts: 53
    In looking up details to the st I noticed a Boston Acoustics Audiophile System including 6 speakers and a subwoofer. I guess it is a info letter to the dealers I found from looking at a separate web page listed in past posts. It says it is avalable in 4Q of 2000. What months are concidered 4Q ? Is it the same 4Q as the information regarding the tonneau top? If so Im changing my order!!!!!
  • deciding2deciding2 Member Posts: 24
    I've been reading everyones comments and opinions for a couple of days now...I'm still deciding...I have not yet test driven ,(the dealers don't have any in stock) but I'm 98% sure I want the ST. I'm leaning towards clothe seats, cab extender, 4x2, and convenience group. I have seen one with those options and a sticker of 24,664. Now my questions. One, does anyone know what the Ford "X" Plan price would be on that? And Two, a local cable channel has been showing the Trac with 1.9% financing or 1000 cash back from the factory (not dealer) and I haven't seen it posted here or anywhere...Thanks to anyone who can help!!
  • gpd22gpd22 Member Posts: 14
    I finally receive our build date this morning for Ford customer service. Our ST will get built NLT 27 May and we should receive it by 8 Jun. If we get it by the first week in Jun that will place us in the 9th week.
    deciding2 - there are NO rebates on the ST and these is no 1.9% financing either. Sounds like the cable commercial you saw showed the ST but probably was referring to other models, which were probably mentioned in very small print at the end of the ad.

With demand for the ST far outstripping supply, I wouldn't count on rebates for a long, long, long time.
    gpd22 - when did you order your ST? Did your dealer give your the build date or did you get it from Ford's (800) number?
  • petty1petty1 Member Posts: 20
    I ordered my ST April 03/00 with tonneau cover. Last week I called customer care to find out production date- NO STATUS. Went to the dealership to tell them that I would like to order my truck and recieve my tonneau later so I can get my truck by the beginning of the summer. I will recieve my tonneau at cost so I don't have to pay the full price from parts. Man, that's the only frustrating thing about ordering this truck. And by the way, there is no K&N airfilter for this engine yet- better make one soon.
  • meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    In the interests of efficiency....

this topic is being "frozen." Please continue these discussions in Topic 1847 2K Ford Explorer Sport Trac. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.