Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Subaru Legacy Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited January 2014 in Subaru
Share your purchase experience here!

Comments

• mn_patmn_pat Member Posts: 67
    purchased oct of 1997 with 15k on it, paid $15100. It was 1.5 yrs old from a rental company in Colorado. At 30k I had to rotors turned. Not another problem until 90k, when the alt went out and was replaced under recall. The alt went out again at at 102k at my expense. At 112k the knock sensor and the cam position sensor were replaced for $135. Currently at 117K, I haven't had the rotors turned again or replace yet and no wobble yet. There is a tiny bit of rust where the windshield meets the roof. Its a pretty good car, I think it will last another 44 payment until our van is paid off.

I like the car for its reliability and longevity. It is AWESOME in the snow. Handles well in general, quite nimble. HVAC warms and cools down the inside fast. I love the utility of the wagon.

Things I don't like: front seats are too low and need more support, poor mileage best ever is 25 mpg, worst ever is 16 mpg in the coldest part of the winter. cup holders are in a bad spot.
  • ct_lamact_lama Member Posts: 2
    I've been quoted an Internet price of $19200 for a Legacy Wagon (automatic, base model) by a dealer near NYC. Is that a fair price given all the discounting going on? Haggle for a lower price? I can't figure out for sure whether the Edmund's invoice price includes the $1000 rebate or not. Also, confusing enough CarsDirect(http://www.carsdirect.com) shows a higher invoice price.

The dealers in CT (where I live) seem to only have the Special Edition, the features of which I really don't care for and don't want to pay for. Do you think I could bargain to get the SE for the same price($19200), the only reason being to save a long drive?
    Thanks.
  • grovercgroverc Member Posts: 34
    I think that $19,200 is a fair price, but I'm sure that if you're motivated, you could get the car for a little less, like $200 to $400. If you're an awesome nogotiater, maybe more.

I purchased a 2003 Legacy SE Sedan on Saturday. It is a 5-speed. The sticker was $21,335. After the $1,000 rebate offered in Indiana, I paid $19,100 plus tax. The wagons, I think, are a little more popular, therefore, they may sell for a little more. I am sure that a more shrewd buyer could have a gotten a better deal than I did, but car buying is not a battle I chose to fight, so I am happy.

My first few days has been favorable. I am liking the car more and more. The build quality could be better, but it is by no means bad. The dealer used too large of screws when putting the license plate on, and in return, stripped the little plastic pieces that receive the screw on the rear license plate. No big deal, but for me it is frustrating that my new car has an issue. The dealer drilled the little plastic pieces out to accept the larger screws that was used in error. It seems to be working.

Let us know what you do, and what you end up buying.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Are you sure it's not the SE version??? I didn't think Subaru made any non-SE Lagacies in 2003. Carsdirect.com will sell you the auto SE wagon for $18,764. With the usual stuff they add on to it (tweeter upgrades, bumper cover, cargo bin, etc.) you should not pay more than what you were quoted for the SE model...
    Wow, if you can get the car for $18,764, that's awesome. When I go to carsdirect.com, the price in Indiana for an automatic SE wagon is $21,439. I know different regions of the country have different incentives, but nearly $3,000 is huge.
  • andrewkandrewk Member Posts: 59
    That Carsdirect price does sound cheap. I bought a '03 LE wagon, 5spd (which I really wanted), with a couple of goodies. It stickered for around 22.4 and I got it for about 19.5. I live in Indy, but made the purchase outside Cincy. This was back in June.

On Subaru's web site, I searched out the SEs that had the color my wife wanted (Sea Mist Green) and reasonable option packages. I then submitted a requested quotes. Some dealers are more motivated than others.

I was happy to drive a couple of hours to save a grand. Plus, the dealer was a straight shooter, not a BSer like the local ones I dealt with.

We absolutely love the car!!
    ...until I saw Subaru dealer ads in Atlanta Journal Constitution this past weekend. For example, the slow-selling SE sedan with manual tranny: $16377 - talk about a deal!

It's a shame they include no incentives for these cars in Indiana, the place where they're all made!!! Kinda sad...

As a sidenote, I was passing through Indiana a couple of months ago and I have to admit there are tons of Subarus on the road there...
  • andrewkandrewk Member Posts: 59
    cracovian, what is really strange is the Lafayette dealer, he claims to be the biggest Subaru dealer in the state of Indiana. Lafayette is the city where the Subarus are built. Anyway, those folks did not want to deal much at all. When I responded to their intense pressure, by telling them what other dealers were doing, they acted like I was nuts.

As far as Atlanta, I wouldn't think there to be much demand for an AWD vehicle.
    andrewk, there's no reason to overpay for any car in this economy, and especially Subarus that don't sell well at all... even Lexus and MB C-class sell below invoice these days. Why don't you give a couple of our dealers a call (Royal in Decatur and some other one in Gwinnett are big and will deal with no problems) and pick it up down here? Like I said, they only have SEs in stock but they sell really cheap, so why not? You could break it in on the slopes of Tennessee :-)
  • radianradian Member Posts: 21
    Just bought a used 2000 Legacy GT wagon (28K miles, black, auto, loaded) on ebay from a reputable dealer. I wasn't even really looking for one (just some sort of newer Subaru wagon), but it was too good to pass up. Could have had a red 2002 Outback (with less than 20K miles, auto but nothing else) instead for about the same price ($15100), but decided that Legacy GT would be more exciting and enjoyable to drive (6-disc changer doesn't hurt).

I used to own a black 2002 OBS until it was totalled last week (smashed from behind by a large moving truck). I would still recommend one of those as well, but I also wanted to try something a little different. I looked at 2002 OBS's and WRX's, 2000-2002 Outbacks, and 2000-2002 Legacy GTs. Very hard to find a GT wagon around Michigan for some reason, which is why mine is from NY.

So far the dealership experience has been very positive (with the dealer I found the GT from). I've gotten quite used to talking to dealers on the phone over the past week. Been looking at a ton of online ads and making lots of calls. I have found dealers are not very open to talking price over the phone, though I didn't really try playing them against each other at all. It's also fun knowing more about the cars than most of the dealers.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    A 2000 with only 28k miles? That's great! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Congrats!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, congratulations. Sorry about the OBS getting hit. Welcome back, I guess.

-juice
  • cinemodcinemod Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased today for 19,200 (750 rebate included). It was difficult to get the proper TMV as the Special edition options weren't all included. (Maybe I was just tired :^) )
    4-Speed Automatic: $800

Special Edition Package: $900

Dual Power Moonroofs
    16-Inch Alloy Wheels
    Projector Beam Halogen Fog Lights
    Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel / Shift Knob

Popular Equipment Group 1: $336

Carpeted Floor Covers - Gray
    Cross Bar Kit
    Splash Guards

MSRP was $23,239.00

Did I do okay?
    (this is replacing a '92 Legacy LE with ~250K miles. Purchased for $15K)

best regards,
    cinemod
    Quarter million miles is sweet. Let's hope the new one lasts as long.

Yes, I think your price was good. Is that a sedan or wagon? Still, you couln't get a FWD Accord or Camry with the same content for that much. Think of it as getting AWD for free.

-juice
    I think your price is awesome! That's way better than I did on my sedan. How did you manage to get more than $4,000 off? I think that is like $2,000 less than invoce. Is there a factory to dealer incentive in your area?

Good job!
  • cinemodcinemod Member Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for responding.
    I apologize for the delay.

I read your 2 responses and felt great. Yet I had just reviewed the paperwork/loan and I couldn't get to the total price from 19700. I was thinking that I let my guard down and got taken when they wrote up the loan.

The way they write things up is confusing. But I got it explained to me:
    + 65 reg/title fee
    + 198 documentation fee
    + 985 tax
    - 750 rebate
    20198 Is the total price.

It's a wagon ...and I don't know if there was a factory incentive.

I'm just glad it's over with.

Next year I'm afraid I have to replace my '92 Accord EX. (knock on wood) it's got 175K .

I sold my last Honda Civic hatchback with ~250K and it still had the original clutch.

I've had terrible luck with Chevy, Dodge and Ford.

Thanks again for the responses.

Cinemod
  • mayfairmayfair Member Posts: 4
    Hello everyone,

I have just put a deposit on a 2002 Legacy L today. As you can see, I can hardly contained my excitement.

I'd like to thank you all here on the Legacy board, for I have been reading your expert opinion for a while. I decided to buy a Legacy even before I started really looking for new car. :-)

The car I just bought was a rental car that the dealer got from the auction lot, with about 10K on it. Looks real good - a coffee stain on the back seat, which didn't look too bad. Otherwise, it looks great.

I paid 12,700 on it. The dealer had it on sale for 12,995. My friend said I should have negotiated more. According to Edmunds' TMV price, I think I get a fair deal anyway. The dealer and the sales guy need to make some money to keep them in business, right?

I have a couple of questions:
    1. Do you think I need to run a full carfax report? It used to be a rental, so shouldn't it be rather clean?

2. Can you recommend where I can find literature on how to use the automatic shift properly? What do the 3 2 1 do? I drove about 100 miles on the test drive today, but it being used, the salesguy didn't go with me (which is good, really).

Thanks again. I can't wait for Wednesday to come round so I can pick it up!
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Welcome to the Subaru family (both of you)!

If the Owner's Manual isn't included with the used 2002, ask the dealer to throw it in. You can also purchase one from their parts department or, possibly cheaper, from subaruparts.com.

Jim
    Call 800-SUBARU3 and see what they can tell you about that VIN. It may not be as complete as Car Fax but it's a free call.

You can leave the automatic in "D" and just drive it like that most of the time. Shifting manually will add wear and tear.

However - here's a cool thing - put her in "2" and it starts in 2nd gear in the snow, for more traction (less power).

-juice
  • gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    In response to cracovian: Yes Subaru madse a limeted number of non SE Legacy sedans and wagons.
    In June they had some of them sitting in the Factory parking lot. Your dealer could order one.

I was going to purchase one, but it would take 3 to 4 weeks to have it shipped to the dealer (this seems like a long time, especially given my dealer is located less than 200 miles from the factory).

Instead, I purchased a Legacy L SE wagon with the 4EAT trans that was sitting on the lot. I figure I paid 19750 before taxes. I am not sure, because they gave me $9000 trade in for my 2000 Legacy Sedan (5 speed, 25K miles mint condition).

I am skeptical about the SE package sunroofs. They are costly, steal headroom, look clunky and have the potential to develope leaks (Based upon my experience with a 88 Accord LXi with factory sunroof).

Subarus are good cars and the Legacy is the best kept secret for traction, handling, confort and fuel efficiency.
    The price of the SE package makes it a bargain, though. Don't you also get 16" alloy rims?

-juice
  • mayfairmayfair Member Posts: 4
    I ran a report on Autocheck after posting. Couldn't hold my curiosity. :-)
    It was listed as being in an auction a couple of times, with the last one listed as "Reported at auction as manufacturer vehicle." whatever that means...

Thanks again for the tips about the manual and using "2" in snow. Now I can't wait for Winter to come. :-)
  • gearhead4gearhead4 Member Posts: 122
    juice,

Yes I have the 16" alloys, the leather wrapped steering wheel, gearshift, and fog lamps ... so the $900 price is okay.
    But if there was a Legacy L SE with no sunroof(s), I would be willing to pay the same price for the Legacy without the holes in the roof.

Apparently this is not an option. What's more, it seems all 2004 Legacy models have sunroofs.

gearhead4
    Yeah, and now it's an Anniversary Edition, they dropped the L/SE name.

-juice
  • bunk1968bunk1968 Member Posts: 119
    Hey, as you know if you read my other posts, I am thinking about purchasing a 2003 Legacy SE with 9600 miles on it. I am considering other used cars like the Honda Accord, VW Passat, and maybe even a NEW Civic Ex.
    I have NO experience with Subaru's and know little about them. It seems that this car, which is described as-

"2003 Subaru Legacy AWD, Special Eddition Package, Silver, factory options include splash gurds, rear differential protector, air filtration system, auto-dimming mirror/compass, upgraded speakers with tweeter kit and Moon Roof, non-smoker owned and driven,"

- is a good deal??
    If it came down to it, I would think that this would be a better deal than purchasing a new Civic EX, but I don't know.
    Can anyone give and advice, and please tell me:
     1 - Do Subaru's have reliability like Honda's or Toyota's?
     2 - How bad can I expect my gas mileage to be in mixed driving with this car in consideration that it is all wheel drive??
    I saw one person say they were getting 28mpg (which seems outstanding) and I saw where someone posted they were getting as low as 16 mpg. I am confused?
     3 - I found quite a few of these cars used for around $15000 to $17000 with less than 15000 miles on them, DOES THIS MEAN SOMETHING?? I COULD NOT FIND ANY ACCORDS LIKE THIS?? Do they have horrible resale value, are they cars that people do not enjoy once they get them, or worst of all, are they problematic?
     4 - Are the engines so bad that edmunds rates them 4 out of a possible 10 along with the trans. getting a 6 out of a possible 10??
     5 - Can All Wheel Drive be considered just something else that can go wrong if you don't need it? Well, more importantly does AWD mean that I will be paying for more maintenance or repairs than I would for a car that does not have AWD??

I really want to like this car and think it is a good deal, but All Wheel Drive is not extremely important to me. Is that the major reason for gettin this car? I thought it seemed like a nice car for the price and I figured that the AWD was a bonus as long as it did not affect the gas milage too much?

IF ANYONE FAMILIAR WITH THESE CARS CAN SERIOUSLY ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS, I WOULD TRULY APPRECIATE IT, THANK YOU SO MUCH.
  • fabiennefabienne Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I just bought a 2004 Subaru Legacy L 35th Anniversary Ed. Sedan. I love it. I drove my 1991 Subaru Legacy L (only had FWD) for 13 years. It has 168,000 miles on it and still runs great. My dad uses it as a second car. In all that time the only real problem I had was an oxygen sensor that needed to be replaced (about half way through the life of the car). And even that wasn't a big deal.I was very happy with it. I think SUbaru makes a great car and even in rain, you will feel the difference with AWD. You won't get as good gas mileage as a Honda Civic but it is a more upscale car. I'm getting about 21-22MPG. I find it to be a really fun car to drive as well. Great manuverability and handling. Never had engine or transmission problems on my old one. Go for it.
    Fabienne
    They were about $18-20k new, so $15-17k used with 15k miles is not bad resale. We paid $17,827 for our 2002 Legacy L (no SE package), for instance.

Our gas mileage is pretty good, about 25mpg overall. Never less than 22mpg.

They run nicely, you hardly notice the AWD except when you see other people slipping all over the road. The only added maintenance the the rear differential fluid, about as hard as going an oil change, once every 60k miles.

If it's a good deal, buy it. The SE package gives you 16" alloy rims, a moonroof, plus AWD and ABS are standard. That's more equipment than an Accord EX, which costs more and lacks AWD.

-juice
    I have posted this same info on the Legacy board, so I hope you will all forgive me if you read it twice. I am just trying to get more opinions.

Thanks everyone for your responses to my questions. I really appreciate it.
    I am still wondering, and worried, why edmunds rated the Legacies Engine and Trans so poorly.
    I also don't understand why Consumer Reports gave the Legacies Emergency Handling a relatively low score??? This is an all wheel drive car, ISN'T HANDLING ITS' BENEFIT?? They also commented that it's emergency handling was tricky?
    In addition to these questions if someone could tell me if having AWD also means having more maintenance or up keep, and ultimately having to spend more money on it, than a vehicle without?
    And, last but not least, will someone tell me if there is a big difference in the GT and the L Special Edition? The L Special Edition I am looking at appears to have everything the GT does except Leather and a Spoiler, but I heard that the GT has a different suspension that makes it handle better, does this make a great difference?
    Oh, and is this a good deal, I would prefer the GT, but this seems too good to pass up?:

"2003 Subaru Legacy AWD, Special Eddition Package, Silver, factory options include splash gurds, rear differential protector, air filtration system, auto-dimming mirror/compass, upgraded speakers with tweeter kit and Moon Roof, non-smoker owned and driven, Purchased Feb 2003, like new, list price $21,543 purchased for $20,888, asking $15900"

P.S. I really do appreciate all your comments!! I know it is hard to speculate resale or depreciation, but I wanted a general idea. I don't think anything compares with Honda for resale, and I am mainly worried about it because I have NEVER seen a Legacy on the road in Michigan. I plan on having the car for a while and I love that it is unique compared to everything else on the road, but I don't want a car no one wants when it is time to sell.
    Handlind - CR found that the Outback would kick its rear end out a little in some maneuvers. They admitted it was predictable and controllable, just a little disconcerting to a novice driver.

So you can compensate easily - practice at the limit driving in a snowy, empty parking lot.

What they consider "tricky", I consider "fun". They'd be happy with severe understeer, while I'd be bored to death.

In the snow, my Forester can wag its tail, you can feel the AWD shifting power to the front when the tail kicks out. Stay on the gas, the front pulls you out of the skid. It's the most fun you can have behind the wheel.

To do that in FWD, you'd need to drive in reverse! LOL

To do that in RWD, well, it's much harder to control. My Miata will spin in a second if you lift off the throttle, or if you add throttle, during a slide. That's the tricky one, if you ask me. I did a 180 in the rain and was facing traffic once. Oops. Don't ever lift in a turn.

-juice
  • fabiennefabienne Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I'm not sure why Edmunds rates the engine/trans. so poorly. Maybe they are one of the many that think it needs more power. Often what some rate as poor, I really like. Example, many reviews have said that the dash gauges are not well laid out but that is one of the best things I like in Subarus. The other thing is that you may want to find a Subaru dealer near you in case you need someone that knows what they're doing. It's true, I think, that Subaru isn't as popular as Honda and therefore, may be hard to find parts, dealers, etc. Also, I think the Subarus have a nice transmission that shift well and are nice & quiet. In terms of AWD, I know a few people w/Subarus and they've never had problems with this system. Subaru has had a lot of time to get the kinks out of it, I think. In terms of the GT model...I test drove one. It has a lot of extras - leather and such that you may not need or want. I didn't really want some of the things & I didn't want to pay the price. I didn't see a huge amount of difference between the L and the GT. This will be my first time with AWD in winter, too. My 91 Legacy only had FWD. In that car, on slippery snowy roads, I had to brake fast once and that car's butt didn't slip out on me at all. I must have gone at least 30 feet on snow without fishtailing. I am looking forward to the same or better w/ AWD. Of course, I'm going to practice in the parking lot first! You're probably right about nothing comparing to Honda for resale - they are low cost to run, low depreciation. I know what you're going through because I had to weigh all these factors myself. I was loking at Civics (the Accord for some reason felt too big for me and the Subaru felt sleeker). But, what did it for me was all the great things I heard about AWD and because I loved my old Subaru so much and it's still running.
    Fabienne
    The automatic will hunt a bit until it's adapted to your driving style. It's trying to eek out every mpg for economy, basically.

Also, they may be comparing the H4 to the V6s of many competitors.

-juice
    So, you say the Outback is the vehicle CR tested? Well does that mean that these so called handling problems do not apply to the Legacy?
    Does the Sport Tuned Suspension of the GT really make a big differance? If either of you have seen my prior posts you know that the car I am looking at has everything a GT does except Leather, Spoiler, and Sport Suspension. I am wondering if it will make that big of a differance in driving and how fun the car is and how it handles?
    If there is not too big of a differance I would think that I should jump on the deal I found, 2003 Legacy L Special Edition with splash gaurds, rear differential protector, air filtration system, auto-dimming mirror/compass, upgraded speakers with tweeter kit and Moon Roof???
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Just drive the car and come up with your own opinion.
    The L is about an inch lower to the ground and has lower profile tires, IMO it'll handle a little sportier, not as soft, as an Outback.

Drive it, I doubt you'll be disappointed. For the price you can't beat it. Hurry before someone else snaps it up.

-juice
  • trautmaktrautmak Member Posts: 10
    I would like to purchase either an '03 Legacy GT wagon or Outback wagon (auto). I can't get the TMV prices form Edmund's for the '03 models yet and so am not sure what I should pay. I saw a Legacy GT in tan with 12,000 miles for $20,600 (Bill Kolb, NY dealer). The Edmund's price new was about $25,000. Is this a good deal? If not, what should this car cost? Thanks!
    IMO, yes. The first owner took the big hit in depreciation, you step in a get a bargain.

That GT has heated leather seats, moonroof, VTD AWD, and SportShift manual shifting.

-juice
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    That really does sound like a decent price.
    He ought to know, look at his title...

-juice
  • hingramhingram Member Posts: 24
    94K miles but I only paid $12k for it. Edmunds had it higher than that. It's an auto with the cd changer. I sure wish it had bun warmers (heated seats).

It's going to be hard to go from a V8 Lincoln to a 4 banger. But I sure like the peace of mind of the AWD since I live on a mountain.
    It's hard to compare the two, you'll definitely spend a lot less at the pump.

The 2.5l is torquier than most 4 cylinder competitors, also more efficient than any other AWD vehicle of its size.

-juice
  • dascuddascud Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

We are thinking of starting a family soon and wanted to get a 4 door sedan to replace my old & trustworthy Mazda Protege. My other car is a 325ci so we definitely need a 4 door. I have been looking around at 328i/330i CPOs, c300s and volvo S80s which are very attractively priced now given the state of the economy.

A subaru legacy was not even in my radar until I saw one at a local dealer.
    This is a 2008 3.0R with Navigation and has 6300 Miles on it. The dealer was asking for $23999 and with just basic negotiation I have the price down to $22000 + TTL.

This seems like a good deal on a well optioned car but the styling and looks hasnt blown me over and my wife seems quite prejudiced over the exterior. I have asked her to go on a test drive before she makes up her mind.

I know the other cars on my list do not really compete with the legacy esp given the AWD but I am in Norcal and the AWD is not that useful to us. I am going to go and TD the car again but is there anything I need to know that may tilt the balance one way or the other and also help convince my wife.

DaScud
  • dsattlerdsattler Member Posts: 135
    Joined IMBA a year ago and got a Subaru Mastercard in August of 2002. Used the VIP program to buy a 2005 Legacy GT Limited wagon at invoice, and used my $700 in Subaru bucks from the Mastercard. Went through Internet manager at Russel Subaru in Catonsville, Maryland. Easiest car transaction I've ever experienced. And what a great car!
  • goneskiiangoneskiian Member Posts: 381
    Dave,
    Glad to hear someone else used the IMBA program. I can't imagine anyone would consider a Subaru and not use one of the VIP Partners Programs available. Here's a link to a list of said partnerships:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/subaru_discounts.html

I've been an IMBA member since '96 so it was a no brainer. Total out the door cost (including taxes and licensing) for my brilliant silver metallic 2005 Legacy GT Ltd. Wagon with popular equipment group 1 and subwoofer/amplifier was $31425.93. Fantastic deal for such a quality automobile.

I got mine from Eastside Subaru in Kirkland, Washington. Also a very quick and pleasant (OK, not quite as much fun as actually driving it) experience. I just hope their service department is as good (not that I plan on spending much time there ;-)).

I haven't got on board with the Subaru Master Card yet, but I will soon. I'll likely be using that for maintenance, accessories, or maybe a sedan for the wife! LOL!

Cheers!
    -Ian
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I used the IMBA for my F-XT purchase as well. Even though I had to order my F-XT (didn't have the java black w/ the options I wanted anywhere in 9 states), it was worth the pleasurable experience. Dealership treated me like royalty with absolutely no strings or pressure. Worth the yearly membership, I signed up for another year!

-Brian
  • radracerradracer Member Posts: 96
    I left the dealership feeling so good! Actually, I did have a weird sense that I could've gotten a better price, but I wasn't sure how, because it wasn't possible at all...I have this weird 6th sense, but that's a whole nother long story. I wish I knew about this IMBA awhile ago. I even go MTBing! It looks like you have to be a member for 6 months. I just ordered my Legacy today. Although I got a very good deal at $760 over invoice, $1200 under MSRP, $23.25 OTD, plus a free momo shift knob because we were $50 apart. It took me 5 hours to negotiate it, but I admit, I had fun. It feels so good to be prepared, thanks to Edmunds. I watched my dad negotiate for 6 hours once. I could've saved a lot more. Too late now, because my trade in will be worth less in 6 mo's. I am guaranteed my trade in quote until they get the car. However, I can always cancel the order. Those of you looking for a Subie down the road, I'd sign up with IMBA immediately. I really hope Subaru offers some kind of incentive or special financing by the time the car arrives...should be 6 weeks, but it could be sooner because all of the Legacy's were silently recalled due to a problem with the side airbags...so they are not showing up in the dealer inventories at this moment.
    I see that according to Edmunds TMV, you guys are paying pretty much MSRP for these cars. Don't be afraid to haggle. I probably could've gotten my $23.2k price with a momo shiftknob, but he did offer a great price for my trade in...surprisingly, he wanted my Toyota really bad, even though it's got body damage. I didn't want to hassle him too much over $50 because we haven't discussed financing yet.

Oh and I did find out that the GT DOES have an upgraded suspension, even though it doesn't say so in the brochure...as it also doesn't say that it has a hood scoop. I want the scoop pretty bad, but it would be $2000 for the hood and paint...I tried negotiating this into the deal, but failed for obvious reasons. What I'll do is buy an aftermarket carbon fiber hood once they come out for the GT, which I'm sure they will. You don't need to paint those, and it would look beautiful with Regal Blue.
    My VIP purchase was also a piece of cake. Seems like a no-brainer.

-juice
  • clearcorneaclearcornea Member Posts: 5
    I'm planning on buying a 2005 Legacy GT Limited soon. I'm in the Midwest. I'm curious what people have paid for this car. Thanks in advance!
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    My dealer only had two MTs on the lot, and I bought mine for $1200 over invoice, but the dealer gave me $1000 more for my trade than I expected, which was $1500 more than Edmunds trade in value, so I guess when you balance it all out I did ok. Subaru's are very popular here in the Northwest, and with this new Legacy I'm sure that will continue!
  • clearcorneaclearcornea Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info. Slim pickings right now. Only 2 GT Limiteds in the state of Nebraska. I'm waiting for a better supply. Some buyers on a different site are paying from $200-500 over invoice for the GT Limited. In addition, tv ads locally state that if you lease a Legacy they will include 3 years of scheduled maintanence free. Subaru is also mailing a coupon with the same offer to select customers who own other makes, ie audi. I called one of my local dealers regarding this maintanence offer. They were unaware of it. I told them I will buy sooner rather than later if they can get me this maintanence offer. Still waiting to hear back.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Good luck. I agree that when supplies get better you'll have more of a choice. I got stuck with a spoiler I didn't want (I like the stealth look to surprise unsuspecting drivers) to get the color I wanted. Good luck. The car is worth more than every penny I paid! I can't think of it's equivalent in a car less than $50K!

tom