Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Try Smart Shopper or Owners Club. They should be able to give you some good information. Hope it helps.
  • michael_mattoxmichael_mattox Member Posts: 813
    I think 98-99 are the premo years of the choices you offered.

Substantual changes were made in 98 especially to the engine
  • shaft1789shaft1789 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have figures for what I should expect to pay to lease 04 LS430 w/sport package. Looking to purchase one before year's end. Thanks for any help.
  • billwillbillwill Member Posts: 1
    Is this dealer now under new management and called Tri-County?
    How do you like the Modern Lux./Sport suspension? Would you buy the same thing or something else?
    Be sure to check our New Cars tab for prices. Also Tips and Advice. Goodluck on your search!
  • mk1mk1 Member Posts: 4
    I am in the NYC area. At least 2 dealers have quoted a price of $57,000 to $57,500 for a LS with a Modern Lux package. This is for a 2005 model. Can I do better? Is this the "going price"?
    There does not seem to be many 2004 cars around.
  • mjindallasmjindallas Member Posts: 4
    Mk1, I'm interested to know if your dealer is telling you anything about changes on 2005 models. I'm in Dallas and just closed a deal for 2004 Modern Lux/Smart Access for $56,300. Of course, I'm wondering what changes I'll miss out on. Haven't picked it up yet. I realize 2004 was a "refresh" year so changes are likely to be minimal.

Also, does anyone definitively know when the total redesign is due? Some are saying 2006 model year, some 2007 MY.

Thanks for your post and to all the others who have updated this thread with their prices. It's been a big help.
  • mk1mk1 Member Posts: 4
    Following up with mjin - my lifetime experience in talking with dealers is that they do not know very much. I have decided to wait until the dealers are TOLD what the 2005 models will cost and what options and colors are available. I assume that will be by late August. I will then call the sales mgers in several dealerships and negotiate a price on the phone and have the bill of sale faxed to me with a credit card deposit. I decided against buying a 2004 because not many around and no real discounting.Best of luck.
  • ckennedyckennedy Member Posts: 82
    With the 2001's coming up on lease, I was wondering if anyone would share there buying experiences as I have my eyes on my brother in law's car.
  • mjindallasmjindallas Member Posts: 4
    Just to update the folks on this board, I recently purchased a new 2004 LS430 Sport w/ Modern Lux, etc. List was $62.4, purchased for $56.3 at Sewell Lexus in Dallas. They have been great to deal with. Thanks to all who posted here as it was a big help!
  • ddsjddsj Member Posts: 1
    We just leased an '04 LS430 flint mica, modern lux package, smart access, non-sport package for $775/mo + tax for 48 months and 15k miles. MSRP was $62,189, cap cost was $56,268 plus $600 acquisition fee. Residual $27,363 and money factor .0019. (Stevens Creek Lexus in San Jose).

We also just purchased the new Motorola V710 Bluetooth CDMA phone (Verizon Wireless) and it seems to work well with the car. However, coverage is a little spotty in our area (South San Jose, CA).
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    ...for the detailed info. It makes "real-world" comparison shopping a heck of a lot easier!
  • pepe11pepe11 Member Posts: 41
    Just visited the local Lexus dealer to test drive the GS. I found it a bit small but really like the LS. They have a 2002 LS430 with 24,500 miles. It did not have nav. Dealer wants a little over $42k before any negotiation. Can anyone provide guidance on whether that is a decent price?
    Thanks in advance.
  • achadhaachadha Member Posts: 106
    Without nav I would expect the price to be at least 4-5k lower then the price they are asking since the nav adds other items such as the mark levinson etc..
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    The NADA web site gives $43,375 as trade in value with $48K as Expected Retail. Kelly gives trade in value at $40,375 for my area. You might hit both sites and see what you come up with.
  • cove148cove148 Member Posts: 117
    Interested in what deals are being offered on the 2005 models? Is it to early in the model year to buy? The New sales tax credit on cars is an incentive to buy before the year is out, especially in the states without a state income tax.
  • anita2anita2 Member Posts: 1
    I also am interested in getting a 2005 LS430. I need to buy it this year for tax purposes. I'm in the Seattle area. I'm willing to get one from out-of-state if it offers substantial savings.

Anita.
    Anita:

I suggest you Call LONGO Lexus in El Monte...So. California. For a price..Then use that price to deal with the 3 Dealers in the Seattle Area....

It costs about $1200 (or less) for them to ship a new Lexus up to you or you can pick it up and drive it back if the local Dealers don't play ball.

Longo is the 2ond Largest Lexus Dealer in the world...A Dealer (JM Lexus in Florida) is the Largest.

I am also from the Seattle Area and ended up buying at Longo (in my case the car was about $4,000 cheaper then here and I wanted to go to So. Cal anyway to visit friends so it worked out well for me...Flew down and drove back.
  • duvalduval Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Anita, Michael and sedan forum host (Pat). Can anyone help me from where I reside or should I travel west to California? I am often on business trips that lead me to several states. Perhaps it is best that I have my Ls 430 selection shipped to the Southeast? JM will not deal as much on the Ls 430 so far is what I have experienced ALSO I learned that they are not the largest store in the world. Any advise members? We seek and immediate purchase for a 2005 Ls 430 sedan or 2005 Lx 470 SUV. No Local Atlanta, Georgia nor Alabama dealer offers us much savings on any selection is what we are encountering. Perhaps we should wait until the end of the 2005 year to buy our Lexus selection instead? I hear that the best bargains occur during that period, fewer salesman haggle and their apparent 'take it or leave it' demeanor alters. Of course we have heard about the end of season limited colors likelihood although we are flexible. What should be our next step?

Eagerly awaiting.
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    I purchased an 03 LS 430 Ultra and an 03 SC 430 from Reinhardt Lexus in Montgomery, AL. I had checked all over the Southeast and they gave me the best deal. But be prepared with price you want to pay and have figures available. Deal only with the sales manager. I did the initial contact by e-mail and then telephone to finalize the deal. Tel THEM the price you want to pay. They also give great service.
    Ron
    Enterprise,Alabama
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    I am the proud new owner of a '05 LS. My last 3 cars were 2 MBs after a BMW, but reliability concerns pushed me towards Lexus this time. I went into Lexus of Rockville (MD) (closest dealer to me) for a test drive and maybe to look for a deal on a remaining '04 or demo, and ended up with what I believe was an incredible deal on a 2005 Black/Cashmere with a $62,734 MSRP (Modern Lux, Smart Key, 18" alloy wheels, Preferred Accessories). As the last LS in stock on the last day of the month (and dealer is building a big new facility and looking to kick up sales to justify larger allocation next year), I negotiated a bottom line price of $55,985. This appears to be a bigger discount than any on even a comparable '04 I see reported on this forum! Excellent buying experience with the salesman (former service mgr). Good luck.
    Thanks Ron and I will check this location today. I did check the Huntsville, Alabama location and the Tom Williams dealership last week. I was thinking of calling the Mobile location this week. Noticeably the Huntsville and Tom Williams final offers are a lot higher versus Hennessey and South Atlanta, Georgia Lexus. Of course Florida's JM Lexus offer was the lowest so far although as I factor their sizable dealer fees and shipping to my home or office, the cost elevates the total near other grand totals. Perhaps I can receive an acceptable grand total including minor shipping and no dealership fees from your source.... This I will attempt.

I will keep you posted and announce your recommendation response soon.

Thanks again.
    Hello and my thanks goes to you as well Gary. Per your purchase and price experience am I left astounded. How recent did you make this Ls 430 w/Modern Luxury and smart key purchase? I ask since posing a similar offer to JM Lexus (reputed Lexus distributor and largest Lexus store in the WORLD) only to receive "we cannot at this time since a recently received low production announcement." It appears the manufacturer has decided to slow production for the Modern Luxury with smart key package (few hundred dollars extra cost feature it appears). "Only 6% will enter the United States this year" is what was uttered. Perhaps you committed your purchase a few months prior? Of course you did mention that the store was upsizing at the time.

Email me or log more details Gary, thanks again.
  • garyh1garyh1 Member Posts: 394
    Well, all I can say is that the first time I ever talked to anyone was when I walked into the dealer on Saturday afternoon 10/30, and made the final deal by phone Sunday morning 10/31. I was the last car delivered later that evening. I guess that's what you call being in the right place at the right time.

In terms of availability of the specific package, all I can tell you is that if you go to lexus.com and put in 20852 as your zip and build an LS, it shows the exact combination of features I got with a "T" next to it, which apparently means it is a commonly available option combination. Also, the last 2 cars this dealer had left were exactly the same.

The key seems to be to find a car in stock from the dealer you want to use and push at the end of the month. If you would like me to call my salesman and ask what he could do for you, let me know, and we can exchange emails. Of course, I know they literally had no LSs left as of Monday morning, but they sell a lot of them and have more coming in all the time. BTW, the Smart Key is a $1,000 option-- it's cool but not worth that much IMHO. That's frankly how I did my final negotiation-- refused to pay for it!
    Hello again and I am definitely encouraged. I appreciate your insight and response. I should have time to investigate things more this evening. Meanwhile, I learned from my wife that JM Lexus committed a voice mail to our home voice mail box. Likely they offer us a counter offer of sorts. I will see and keep you all posted.

Thanks again.
    JM lexus will do ANYTHING they can to sell you a vehicle. They are a volume dealership and if your credit is excellent and are willing to deal right away with no games, you'll get a VERY decent deal.

Their most recent lease offer to me for an '05 LS430 was 48 months/48 thousand miles with modern luxury and smart access @ $719 per month with $850 to start the lease. That deal puts the cap cost for this vehicle very close to invoice -- otherwise they've got a lease deal going on that they are not publishing with higher residual values/lower lease interest rates, etc.

I'd take that offer but I still have a month and a half on my current vehicle lease and am waiting for that to be done with. Unless I fall in love with another vehicle, I am more than likely going in the last week of December to get my LS.

I'll let you know the final numbers then....
    duval:

Back when I bought, I traveled a lot and was in a position where I could buy anywhere in the country.

Ill. Ohio MD and Cal. were the states were I found the best prices....As I said LONGO LEXUS In So. California is a terrific dealer.
    Hello again Michael and I am familiar with Longo. Per the posted experiences offered from members, I am definitely intrigued. Immediately I am considering an offer from a recommended source in Alabama. I am 'working the details,' as to say although they appear very limited in supply. I was told to wait for their next telephone call and response to my color request. I also have to wait and see if traditional dealership fees can be waived and if shipping can be included in my deal... Noticeably they are a rather small store so I await to see if they can comply. Meanwhile, JM Lexus seems to have committed their final offer. It remains as the lowest grand total including shipping to my door. I might commit to them if the Montgomery, Alabama store offers us difficulty. So far the representatives tonality and interest appear genuine.

Once again, I will keep all posted and thanks.
  • tyresmokertyresmoker Member Posts: 266
    Keep in mind, if you are on the fence or looking ofr a great deal...wait. This is the last model year for this bodystyle. The '06 promises to be quite different from the current model which, as we all know, has not been visually changed in quite some time.
    One thing that is for sure, Toyota is very good at descretely clearing inventories of existing product before new models arrive.
    That being said, Lexus currently has less than a 20 day supply of vehicles in the US, "normal" is considered about 60 days, so if your dealers are telling you that cars are scarce at this particular moment...it just might be true.
    As far as "waiting till the end of the month"...many dealers got smart to this consumer strategy, and close their months on alternate dates as a result...
  • mfprmfpr Member Posts: 41
    I believe the current LS430 has another year to go. The next generation will arrive in 2006 as a MY2007, at least from all the reports I have read.

Mike
  • wine4etwine4et Member Posts: 12
    I found a 2001 LS430 with modern luxury package, so it has nav, 19k miles, and is certified from lexus dealer. I can get for 40 plus tax and lic. any comments if this is a good deal or not would be appreciated.
    I looked at the Kelly Blue Book site and used my ZIP code for NM and came up with trade in of 37K and private party sale price of 41K and high retail at about 43K (I think). The extended warranty costs the dealer around $1500 or more so I've been told. Your price sounds in the ball park for a 2001. I just traded in a 2004 with 18,000 miles on it. Offer him 38K and see what happens? Good Luck.
  • barry5barry5 Member Posts: 49
    I have a 2001 LS 430 ULTRA with 47,000 miles. My lease is up in May 2005 , I wish to wait for the 2006 model which I hear has AWD. Has anyone tried to extend their lease by 1 to 2 years?
    Thanks for the suggestion for a final renegotiation. I got them down to 39. I drove the car home 200 miles today. WOW, what a car, the handling and power are impressive.
    Congratulations. Did you get them to throw in the 20K inspection? If they changed the oil, maybe you can skip it? I'm sure you will enjoy the car.
    They did the 16k service and the 1st oil change is included. Also got a free golf shirt. Santa Monica Lexus was great to deal with.
    Just did the 30K service on my 01 ultra....Put in a K&N Air Filter and synthetic Oil in engine and Semi-Synthetic in transmission...

Milage is up between 2-3 MPG...an unbelieve pickup was getting 25-26 on the freeway and now at 27-28...

don't know if it is the Air Filter or the Oil.
  • jvcnjvcn Member Posts: 50
    Wanted to share my pleasant buying experience. I finally pulled the trigger and got a used 95 LS400. I did it by contacting a guy who didn't get the price he wanted on Ebay. After lots of phone calls and exchanges of digital pictures I decided he was trustworthy and bought it sight unseen.

Took a big chance but it was worth it. The car cost $8800, had 95K, but above all had had $5000 of work put into it. Most cars with 95-100K miles have deferred work that needs doing but this has had everything: timing belt, hood struts, power steering pump, alternator, front brakes, plugs, even new tires. Very nice clean paint. Good leather with only one noticeable long crack on the driver's seat. Two different mechanics (one a friend of mine) managed to inspect after delivery. Both pronounced it A+. "Put it in your will" was mentioned by both.

I lucked out but I had calculated that the price was good enough that I was willing to spend $1000 if necessary for "hidden" problems. No need. Only a $25 antenna replacement.

I couldn't justify buying an LS430 as I don't drive so much. But this car is simply wonderful.

Makes me wonder why anyone would buy a new Camry when you can get a used LS400. And I figure a 3 year old CPO LS430 must be like a new car. Thank heavens for the joys of depreciation! Let someone else take the hit for me.
  • tiny1tiny1 Member Posts: 26
    I'm trying to buy a 2001 LS430 on the cheap. (I like the 430 but am on a 400 budget). I've been following a LS430 BLK on BLK with nav, Mark Lev stereo, moon roof and heated front and rear seats, 43K miles on an Audi lot for almost 2 months (price $34,900). It looks to be in very good condition except for some small scratches and a "white film" on the lower portion of one of the rear doors, the chrome is discolored in the same area (road chemical?). Carfax says one owner, but a local Lexus dealer looked up VIN and said no maintenance has been done at any Lexus dealership (problem?, hopefully somewhere else?). His print-out showed only minor warranty work (CD changer). The salesman said they are going to wholesale the car next week and potentially take a loss...I'm thinking they would prefer to sell it to me rather than to wholesale it (maybe I have some leverage)...What do you all think a "steal" of a price would be considering some of the unknowns and lack of certification? What do you think a wholesale person would pay them? I'd like to come in just over that. Thoughts??
    Just my opinion:

On an 01 I would pass on the one you have found and get a certified 01 from a Dealer..You will get a 3 YR. 100,000 mile warrenty that is just like the new car warrenty...

The car you have seen is cheap but my guess is you can get the same car from a dealer in like new condition with less then 40,000 miles and certified for $38-40,000 ..You don't want a car that has been neglected, and you have no clue as to if it has even had it's scheduled maintance.

It is worth the extra money for a car that is fantastic and you will be able to drive it for 10 years if you want.
    JVCN, Congrats on your purchase! I have an uncle with a very similar car as yours and he LOVES it. That car should last you a very, very, very long time!

Tiny1, I'd have to agree with michael_mattox on this one. I would spend up to 38-39K for a vehicle like the one you are looking at BUT I'd want it from a Lexus dealer lot and with the "certified" label.

There are many out there (especially those who like to do their own work on their cars) that think buying a certified vehicle off a Lexus lot is just throwing away money. HOWEVER, I think that with a car this expensive and complex, buying certified is a MUST! On ebay there is currently a car VERY similar to yours with ONLY 8000 miles on the odometer! I wouldn't touch it unless I personally knew the previous owner. There are also a couple "ultra lux" Ls430's floating around at really low prices -- again, not off Lexus lots and not certified. BUYER BEWARE!!!!

I'm not willing to take the risk. I recommend you don't either. To me, the savings does not justify the loss of "peace of mind".

Just my 1.5 cents... Good Luck!!! :)
    I am more than likely going to pull the trigger on a 39 or 48 month lease for an '05 LS with either the modern lux or custom lux package later in December. Any new leasee's out there care to share what they've paid for an '05 lease? I'd especially like to know of deals in South Florida.

I'm hoping that with a late December purchase and the EXTREMELY competitive Lexus market down here in South Florida (6 dealerships within 150 miles of each other) I can snag a good bargain.

I'm trying to stay at less than one thousand total at signing and $700 per month plus tax for a 48 month deal. $725 for a 39 month deal (12K miles per year).

Perhaps there's a dealership "consultant" floating around who'd care to chime in? :)

Thanks!!
    Congrats on the purchase. Hope all continues to go well.
    All right, here's the best deal I've been offered -- wondering what fellow posters think:

2005 LS430 with Modern Luxury Package and Smart Access
    36 months/36 thousand miles per year
    $1850 due at signing
    $740 plus tax per month

Good? Bad? Ugly?

(Jon, Mike, if you're trolling around I'll see you Friday!!).
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Wow! You must be Mr. Lexus's son-in-law to be getting 36,000 miles per year. Great lease! :) All kidding aside, this is a good lease. I was offered for 3 years, 36,000 miles including premium package plus smart access without the modern luxury package at $736.69 plus tax per month with $1700 due at signing. I didn't consider the terms as unreasonable since the capitalized cost was 9.7% off of MSRP. I didn't take the offer and now I am glad I didn't. Clearly, yours is the better deal and I would go for it.
    I meant 36,000 TOTAL miles! I wish it were per year though :)

Thanks for the input.
    that price sounds high without being certified. Look at lexus.com, youcan find certified cars for about the same price, and those are asking prices. I just bought a certified car and got 5000 off the asking price on the internet.

Good Luck, it a great car, but I am happy to have the piece of mind of the warranty.
  • slehrmanslehrman Member Posts: 6
    I am in the 20854 zip and I am looking to buy a 2005 Lexus this year or early next year. I would appreciate the name of your Lexus of Rockville salesman. My email is slehrman@comcast.net. Thanks.
  • flatlanderflatlander Member Posts: 25
    I have just bought a low mileage (22,750) 2002 LS430 from a Toyota lot at a price well below KBB. The car looks and drives like new and the dealership is paying their paint touchup artist to fix a few minor scratches. I have spoken with the previous (only) owner. She is a local realtor with more money than car sense. The car has only had oil changes and new tires since new (Yokohamas off/ Michelins on). Lexus tells me that all is forgiven if I let them do a belated 15,000 mile service. I have not asked them if I can pay them to re-certify this vehicle. If they did, would it be value for money? My dilemma is whether to develop some expensive habits like taking the car to Lexus for the mandated periodic checkups (oil changes elsewhere) or, buy an extended warranty from 1stChoice or Warranty Direct (6yrs/75K. Lexus has such a high reliability rating that I may never use up the money spent on the 3rd party warranty. I intend to keep this car for at least 5 years.
    posting your email here is not a good idea. You can end up with a lot of spam. IT is better to make your email public to Edmund's members. Also, we discourage use of board to exchange salesman names.
This discussion has been closed.