Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda RX-8 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

1121314151618»

Comments

• Options
    trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    Wow. Waiting that long to experience your RX-8 AT is amazing. To maximize the experience then, I recommend planning a whole series of weekend driving trips. The RX-8 AT is a fantastic highway cruising vehicle. Of course, Winning Blue is going to make an easy target for the HP. I've also found that running through rural highway systems at 60MPH or below in full AT is really nice and relaxing too. You Sun roof will be really nice on a tree lined country lane. And you can't get lost either, bonus.

You're gonna love your RX-AT.
  • Options
    edinnpbfledinnpbfl Member Posts: 4
    I am about to buy a 2005 RX-8. I am deciding between two cars. I think I am getting a great price. One has 19,800 miles and lists for $19,999. The other has just 3,775 miles, but it was just traded and say that can probably give it to me for about $1,000 more. I have a big concern from what I have read about the car needing premium gasoline. Is this true? If so, it will definately give me 2nd thoughts about buying an RX-8. Thanks!
  • Options
    trispectrispec Member Posts: 305
    The RX-8 will run 87 octane, it's just not recommended, because of the lower performance and because of the slightly higher risk of preignition. But if Premium gas concerns you enough to not buy the car, then you'll probably really dislike the gas millage no matter what type gas you run. If you're driving in lots of city traffic, you millage is going to be less than 14 MPG. Strictly highway is 23-25MPG.
  • Options
    jmoneyjmoney Member Posts: 25
    I just picked up my Velocity Red, 6 speed RX8 from Faulkner Mazda in Northeast Philadelphia Today. Orinigal msrp - $30,865. Includes Touring pkg, alarm sensor upgrade and spare tire kit.

Dealer had dropped it to $24,500. I paid $23,500. The car is truly new with 78 miles on it. I have to say that this is the best 23 grand I spent on anything. As a three time Porsche Boxster owner, the RX is more fun, better built, handles as good if not better and faster than the pre 01 boxsters. You gotta love a car that is at its best over 5,000 rpm's!

I guess my question is, did I get a decent deal? I know that I got what is in reality a two year old car with the 07's right around the corner, but the differences of the 05's versus the 06 six speeds is neglegeable.

If anyone is interested, they have one more '05, RX8 on the lot. Exasctly the same as mine with the exception being the Bose 6 disc, in dash cd changer as opposed to my single.
  • Options
    lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    I too bought a leftover - just different years. 04 left on the lot and I got it in March 05. I got almost the exact deal as you. Car stickered somewhere around $30???, dealer priced it at $27???, minus rebates for financing with Mazda, and minus $2K in equity on my trade. Financed $21,???.

I felt great about my deal and still do. I still love this car after a year and a half. When I go car shopping, I put the worry of depreciation completely out of my head. Let's face it, the average daily driver that most of us can afford is NEVER an investment, they always depreciate and always will. I buy what I can comfortably afford and enjoy. I usually trade in the 3 - 4 year range and I feel I'll be OK on equity with this car at that point.

Enjoy your car!!
  • Options
    edinnpbfledinnpbfl Member Posts: 4
    jmoney,
    Yes, seems like you got a good deal. Before I decided against the RX-8 due to gas consumption and carbon buildup in the engine, I was looking at a 2005 Charcoal Grey RX-8 with 20,000 miles for $19,999. Right next to it was a red RX-8 with only 3700 miles on it. It was just traded in on a Vette, wasn't cleaned, and didn't even have a price yet. They were going to sell it to me for $20,999. I was so close to buying this car, but glad that I didn't since I got laid off from work right afterwards. Good luck and hope you enjoy it.
  • Options
    jmoneyjmoney Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the feedback guys. It's always good to get additional feedback, especially if it re-affirms my original thoughts!

I've had the car for 10 days and I really love it. Hoping to take an autumn road trip to New England with my wife and the RX. That should definitely bring out the best in this car!
  • Options
    surfboy2001surfboy2001 Member Posts: 6
    From what I've read in this forum it sounds like it's possible to get an 06 for around invoice.. How are the 07's pricing at??

And can someone recommend a dealer in the socal area? What do people think of Galpin Mazda in Van Nuys??
  • Options
    raines887raines887 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any suggestions on where to buy a new 06 or 07 RX-8. I live in fairfield ca, right in between San Fran and Sac so either location would be ok to buy from.
  • Options
    ukjimukjim Member Posts: 63
    I had my car serviced at Long Beach Mazda on Cherry Ave and they seemed pretty knowledgeable and customer orientated but I bought on the East Coast last year so cant speak to their sales practices.
  • Options
    stylinlpstylinlp Member Posts: 1
    Now that its the middle of October I see there is many 2006 RX-8's on the car lots here in Phoenix AZ not being sold. The dealers look very desperate. My impression is that they will take any offer.

Any advice on how much a deal to expect at this time? Which dates would be the best to buy in the next 3 months. I read the buying new car article on Edmonds on how to get quotes thru the fleet sales dept at the dealers competing with each other. I definatly will be using that tactic along with getting my own financing pre approved from a lendor. Any idea's on the stock Sports RX-8 and the full loaded model? Wife demands an AT> :(

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    lhesslhess Member Posts: 379
    over-rule the wife on an auto!!
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    No wonder there are incentives on the 07 models already. Things are really bad.

This is Oct 06 Oct 05 % change 06 YTD 05 YTD % change
    RX-8 640 1,212 (47.2)% 8,180 12,804 (36.1)%

640 cars sold for the whole month and just 8,180 for the year - down nearly 50% for the month and 47% for the year. Ouch, big time.

Still doing better than the S2000

S2000 294 409 -25.2% 5,685 6,942 -18.1%

I guess Mazda thinks of the 8 as their "halo" car, or they may just quit making it. Rumor has it this is the last year for the S2000 convertible - just not enough sales to keep making it.

Dennis
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    Edmunds reports a $750 dealer incentive on new 07 RX-8s. On a left over 06 there is $2,500 in rebates and probably some dealer money, so I would expect those to be $3k or more under invoice at least.

You can go to carsdirect.com and put in your ZIP code and spec out a car and see what prices come up. Given the $750 incentive I would expect you should be paying around invoice or a little less for any new 07 RX-8.

Get the manual transmission - otherwise just get something else.

Be warned though, the 8 sucks at the pump. I get around 15mpg around town and on a long interstate trip could only get just over 20mpg. Premium gas, of course.

Resale value looks to be pretty bad too. You would figure if Mazda and the dealers can't sell them new - so they have deep discounts, rebates, and incentives. So to sell a used 8 you really have to go low. Edmunds says my 05 6mt GT w/NAV w/7400 miles is worth (trade, private party, retail):

$21,587 $23,407 $25,162

KBB shows:

$20,900 $23,210 $25,635

Pretty sad for a car with a $34k MSRP.

If it was me, I would see if the dealer had any speed6 cars on the lot. The left overs have $3,500 in dealer money on them and you should be able to pick one up really, really cheap.

Get what you want and what makes you happy, but go into the 8 with open eyes as to the recalls, resale, mile economy, and thirst for oil. Then you can enjoy your new car because you considered all this up front.

Dennis
  • Options
    nergal_lvnergal_lv Member Posts: 17
    Hello ppl, this is my first post as I am a new RX8 owner as of last night!!! Just bought an 06 Shinka Edition for 6k below MSRP. The financing through Mazda is horrible (high interest) but you do get $1k for the trouble. Will have to get a refinance loan to get me the "good interest rate" as the Mazda loan can be paid off at anytime & I still keep the 1 grand. I think/hope I did well. The car got plenty of looks from my coworkers!
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Congrats! You will love this car!
  • Options
    cristianfuentecristianfuente Member Posts: 3
    I previously own a scion tc 2.0 series 06 bought brand new 0 miles now it has 6k is it worth trading it with a Mazda rx-8 with 37k miles but is in mint condition with Grand Touring Package from 04?

Also does this car last would it get hard losing the 50,000mi. warranty how long would it take before this car starts to wear out?

Anyone who knows please help id appreciate thanks!
  • Options
    dave00691dave00691 Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at trading in my 2006 Mazda 3SGT and want to get a 06 RX-8 shinka with a sticker price of $33280 the price i was quoted is $27,287 which includes rebates but not ttl. is this a good deal
  • Options
    nergal_lvnergal_lv Member Posts: 17
    I was able to get an 06 Shinka for 26K even back in October 06 (Springfield MO). You might be able to get a few dollars off. It is a nice vehicle for sure. Just be careful of the Mazda financing, it's rate sucks, had to cash out some investments to pay it off, but Mazda's financing gets you 1k off. (at least it did in October).
    Nergal.
  • Options
    acuratl2acuratl2 Member Posts: 12
    I got a few quotes on the 06 RX8 MT with the GT package from dealers in Nor Cal. The dealers are asking $8,000 under MSRP. Can't get myself to buy one though given the issues I've read with these 8s, oil being the major factor. I've decided to wait another month, hopefully these will be going for $10k under MSRP by then. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    rhesterrhester Member Posts: 29
    I've had my eye on two cars. One RX-8 and a Mazdaspeed3. For the 3 the dealer is not budging from $2.5k over MSRP.

For the RX-8, an 06 Shinka package the dealer wants over $30k for it AFTER the 3k rebate. It Blue Books at $28,250 which is what I offered. You'd think they'd want to get rid of it. Ah well, maybe I'll broaden my search into Northern Cal. I'm in no hurry.

Is there a list of Mazda dealers anywhere? The Mazdausa.com site only lists those dealers within 150 miles and even then it seems to miss some.
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    I've had my eye on two cars. One RX-8 and a Mazdaspeed3. For the 3 the dealer is not budging from $2.5k over MSRP.

If the thing books for 28200 in kelly and nada books, its highly unlikely they'll let go of it for that. However you do want about 8-9k off a higher end model, and if thats where it is.....

--jjf

For the RX-8, an 06 Shinka package the dealer wants over $30k for it AFTER the 3k rebate. It Blue Books at $28,250 which is what I offered. You'd think they'd want to get rid of it. Ah well, maybe I'll broaden my search into Northern Cal. I'm in no hurry.

Is there a list of Mazda dealers anywhere? The Mazdausa.com site only lists those dealers within 150 miles and even then it seems to miss some.
  • Options
    p996p996 Member Posts: 56
    Hi carman and everyone else!

I am looking to lease an 07 touring auto for 24 months with 10k miles a year.

Is it possible to get the current rates?

Also, did anyone manage to get an 07 touring for around 27k or so? Looking to get as much off MSRP as possible.
  • Options
    tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    The dealership closest to my house has 13 RX8s (11 '07s & 2 AT '06s). I'm leaning towards a red 6MT '07 Touring model with no options.

Here's what I would like to pay:
    MSRP: $30,130
    Edmunds Inv: $27,913
    Customer Cash & MAC Cash: $2500
    Offering price: $25413 + TTL & $189 processing fee

Do you guys think that is realistic (invoice - rebates = price). The dealership still makes their holdback and processing fee. The RX8s don't seem to be flying off the lots, so this seems possible. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The 06s were moving for 8k off MSRP last year (the 30k model) so....

Go run the price of a used 06 RX8 with 15000 miles equipped as you want on nada.com kbb.com and edmunds.com. Take the average of the lowest 2 wholesale prices in excellent condition and add 15-20%. That is your target range for a new 07.

--jjf

The dealership closest to my house has 13 RX8s (11 '07s & 2 AT '06s). I'm leaning towards a red 6MT '07 Touring model with no options.

Here's what I would like to pay:
    MSRP: $30,130
    Edmunds Inv: $27,913
    Customer Cash & MAC Cash: $2500
    Offering price: $25413 + TTL & $189 processing fee

Do you guys think that is realistic (invoice - rebates = price). The dealership still makes their holdback and processing fee. The RX8s don't seem to be flying off the lots, so this seems possible. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    gforce11gforce11 Member Posts: 225
    I don't see why not. I know Mustang GTs are going for invoice + rebates easily. Plus I don't see them moving them out of the lots very quickly. I think your best bet is to shoot the dealership's internet/fleet and email dept and see if they are willing to do it. It'll save you a trip in case they won't consider it.
  • Options
    izz11izz11 Member Posts: 1
    >> I'm planning on purchasing a used 2004 rx-8 with navigation.

Its listed for $12,500 @ 83k miles NADA has it priced at $11,000
    This is the listing on autotrader.

>> It has 83k miles average of 16.7k a year. This is my only real concern with the car.

>> The Carfax is clean with 8 service records reported. No recalls that have been an issue with most 04's are reported. I went to go see it in person and it does look to be in great condition cosmetically

>> Im not sure what trim it is but i think its the GT, maybe someone could help me identify the trim in the pics?

>>Id just like some opinions if this is a good value and more importantly is the mileage ok? as the price isn't to much of a concern i can afford it but id hate to be ripped off a 1000 dollars.
  • Options
    brakeonthroughbrakeonthrough Member Posts: 1
    Hello, There are a few new R3s sitting on local dealers' lots. All on the back line, some covered in tree sap and cob webs. Trying to learn the right price on this car. Any thoughts, strategies or experiences are much appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    mejazzmejazz Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2012
    Hi, anyone bought one of the last 2011s in 2012? Wondering what kind of deal you got. I got one silver 6MT Sport for $22.5+TTL which might have been a bit more than could be haggled for.