Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR

Comments

• medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    They say "the upper teens" for base price, but that could be 19,995 before destination charge. Yes, I'm in a cynical mood this afternoon. But seriously they have said "starting in the upper teens".
  • gogophers1gogophers1 Member Posts: 218
    Who is "they"? There is no way that GM is going to start pricing at $20K on this rig for a couple reasons: they need it to sell in large volumes and they've stated they're going to start pricing vehicles closer to actual transaction prices instead of playing the $5000 rebate game.

This car is essentially a Cobalt wagon, so I think it's fair to assume that the starting price will be within a couple thousand of a comparatively equipped Cobalt.
    "They" refers to GM's marketing department writing press releases and the spokesmodel at the auto show. "Starting in the upper teens" was said in print and at the show. I can't find it online right now, but it has been tentatively sort-of "announced".

I was in a very cynical mood yesterday, thus the 19,995.
    Well then. I guess GM must not be intending this to be a volume model.

I saw one on a pedestal at the Twin Cities Auto Show a couple weeks back and though it looked nice, the interior certainly didn't have the materials quality of a PT Cruiser. And they're going to start it several thousand higher? Uh boy... here comes the rebate game again.
  • bradkurtzbradkurtz Member Posts: 24
    I think th epricing will be close to the PT, and the it is larger and looks better (to me).
    I can imagine the LS starting around 16k. I had no idea what a PT Cruiser retails for, so I checked out our local Chrysler dealer's website.

Assuming the LS starts at 16k, the 1LT would likely be around 18k, at least with anti-lock brakes.
  • theo2709theo2709 Member Posts: 476
    GM has announced recently that they're going to stop purposely pricing high in order to have incentives later. Expect the base HHR (LS) to start around $15k.
  • lexusrockslexusrocks Member Posts: 56
    Chevolet isn't really a competitive brand, compact wagons have been the rage for the past four years, and now Chevrolet introduces a competitor for 2006. They also copied the PT Cruiser retro concept. However the real car doesn't seem so bad at all. I would like it better if they had less grey plastic on the dash. I personally like it, however I'd rather take a Honda Element. Better options, and better reliability and reliability.
  • musicman87musicman87 Member Posts: 1
    I'm really liking the HHR so far from what I've seen. Considering buying one as soon as I graduate college in a couple years. Just wondering though, is there gonna be an SS version? There's no mention of it on the Chevy website. I'd heard a bit of speculation about it, but nothing really official.
  • charlotte7charlotte7 Member Posts: 144
    So if the pricing is going to start around $15k for an HHR, should I assume that means no incentives? I have access to the GM Supplier Discount, and that should still work with an HHR. I also have a fair amount of money on a GM Card, if they'd let me use that.

I'm trying to figure out whether the HHR, the Mazda5, or a PT Cruiser would be the better deal...
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I'm not so sure that sticker price will be as low as $15K. A Cobalt starts at $14,190, and that's with a manual trans, crank windows, no power locks, etc. I'll register my guess for HHR base price as $16,995. I don't know who thought up the $23,000 figure that was floating around awhile ago. No way it will be anywhere near that. Probably a fully loaded one will be priced around there.

-Andrew L
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    I think that the HHR will start at about 17,500. Only because Chevy wouldn't want it to cannibalize Cobalt sales. I bet you a dollar that Chevy will try to SS this car.... sad thought, but they're doing it to Malibus..... :mad:
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I can't see that many Cobalt buyers cross shopping with the HHR.
  • wingmanwingman Member Posts: 19
    I just came back from a visit to a Chevy dealer in Shrewbury, NJ. A saleman told me they had the opportunity to see in person a new 2LT HHR. According to him they will start at $24K not a penny less. Not for the first 4/5 months. We'll see about that.
    Did he mean that the 2LT would start at $24K, or the base HHR? If he meant the base HHR, I think they're going to have a whole lot of them sitting on the showroom floor. And sitting, and sitting, and sitting.

Chevy did release the colors they're going to be coming in, though, on www.chevyhhr.com. I like the amethyst, myself.
    That's GOTTA be for the 2LT. With the stronger engine, the upgraded stereo, and ABS, I could see the 2LT being close to that value. If it's 24k base for the LS trim, the model will get your basic "f.o.a.d." response and do just that. ;)
    Sounds like salesman speak to me. If you were actually in the store looking at cars and shooting the breeze, I'm thinking he said that just to dissuade you from waiting until its release. No salesperson good at his trade is going to tell you that model you're asking about - and that's 5 mos. away - is going to be a fantastic deal and well worth the wait.

He needs to put the numbers on the board this month. Those Cavaliers aren't selling themselves. And considering the turnover in the industry, he'll probably be serving up Parfaits at the local DQ by the time the HHR hits the lots anyway...
    Well, if his answer was designed to persuade me to buy now instead of waiting 3/4 months it worked. I took my 24K to Toyota and ordered a 05 Prius. 50 MPG. Screw GM.
    Wow. I really don't think it's GM's fault that there's some schmoe working at one of their dealerships - they're independently operated. I've run into plenty of unsavory sales folks at Toyota dealers too.

There's no way $24K is an accurate number. It only makes sense that they'll price it above the Cobalt and below the Equinox.
    Prius looks nice too, but aren't they hard to find, or at least to get a decent deal on due to supply and demand? I read an article (I think it was here on Edmunds) about Priuses (what is the plural of that?) getting closer to 40mpg than 50 in real-world driving, and owners complaining about it. But what the heck, 40's better than 30 anyway.
  • chris65amgchris65amg Member Posts: 372
    Priuses also come with a lot of standard features, and they have a lot of cargo space :D

I wouldn't put it past Chevy to price the HHR at 20k for the LT2, but 24k? Ouch.
    At least in Texas, there's a 6-9 month waiting list for the Prii and dealers are selling them for $5-6K ABOVE MSRP. That doesn't make them such a great deal, to me.
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    In NJ, Priuses are now going for exactly MSRP and a 2-3 month wait (with a required $1000 deposit). I think the supply just improved on them...

I just test-drove one last weekend. Got only an average of 35 MPG under test-driving conditions (lots of stopping and starting, etc.), and I couldn't fit in the back seat (my head hit the roof, and I'm only 5'10" tall). Don't get me wrong, the Prius is a good car, but it didn't convince me that now is the right time for me to get a hybrid. I'm planning on getting a regular (non-hybrid) car now, and I'll look at getting a hybrid a few years from now when they're hopefully more readily available, less expensive, and better designed.
    In Freehold they are 6/8 weeks waiting depending on which package. I sat in the back with plenty of room to spare. I'm 6 foot. Test drove and got 45 miles per gal.
  • johnr1johnr1 Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know what it will be?
    Well, the Cobalt is rated at 24/35 (I think) so with similar engine and transmission, I'd shave about 2mpg off of that due to the height, weight, and aerodynamics of the HHR.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    http://www.media.gm.com/

"HHR will be offered in three different models. The MSRP for the LS will be $15,990. The MSRP for the HHR 1LT will be $16,990. Pricing for the 2LT will be $18,790. Pricing includes destination and freight charges"

Seems competitive to me.
    Is there any information on the total cargo capacity for the HHR?
  • twaintwain Member Posts: 185
    I'm really liking the HHR so far from what I've seen. Considering buying one as soon as I graduate college in a couple years. Just wondering though, is there gonna be an SS version?

... I bet they put the Supercharged engine from the Cobalt in it in the second or third year of production. The same way Chrysler kept interest in the PT with the turbo.

But the LT engine doesn't sound bad. 170hp and 170lb. That might be pretty brisk.
    "HHR will be offered in three different models. The MSRP for the LS will be $15,990. The MSRP for the HHR 1LT will be $16,990. Pricing for the 2LT will be $18,790. Pricing includes destination and freight charges"

... If that's accurate, the HHR will do well.
    I think th epricing will be close to the PT, and the it is larger and looks better (to me).

... The biggest difference is the extra 6 inches in length. More room in the back.

Why doesn't anyone do a midsize retro? Like the HHR based on a Malibu with a V6. That would look a lot cooler than a Maxx.
    I'm trying to figure out whether the HHR, the Mazda5, or a PT Cruiser would be the better deal...

... If you can get a GM discount, I'm guessing the HHR. ;-)

I can get a Ford discount and my wife wants an Escape. Myself, I'd rather have one of the three you mentioned.
  • bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    It is accurate.
    Those prices look good. I'll be looking at a 1LT w/ABS. Add tax, warranty, and financing, and I'd guess it to be ~$21k. :shades:
    Great pricing on the HHR. Well done GM. Now if they would price all their cars like this.
    Does anyone else feel a little trepidation that the car is made in Mexico? I'm remembering all the Volkswagons made there and the problems they had. What else has GM made in Mexico, and what has the reliability been like?
    I don't. Buick Centuries have been assembled there for many years and they seem to be plenty reliable. Chrysler makes PT Cruisers in Mexico and the Cruiser is probably its most reliable vehicle.

VWs assembled south of the border are unreliable because they're VWs, not because they're made in Mexico. Volkswagons made in Germany and Brazil are similarly problematic.
  • johnr1johnr1 Member Posts: 9
    Cargo capacity is listed at 63.1 cubic feet or 1787 liters.
    The Aztek was made there also and it's build quality was excellent. Thing was ugly but it was well made.
  • inchworminchworm Member Posts: 1
    Every Chevy El Camino and Ford Ranchero ever made was made in Mexico, to the best of my knowledge.
  • avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    I think GM is doing a great job of pricing the HHR. How about working on a diesel option for thoose fuel economy weenies, like me.I hope the new Global platform coordinater can get some fuel sipping engines over here soon. I am not sold on the idea of gas hybrids at all.Give me a diesel or diesel hybrid.At the very least a 2.2l ecotec wit vvt tuned for economy.Don't get me wrong. I think the Cobalt and HHR are worthy. I just don't want to beat myself about the head, over an 06 honda civic fuel milage numbers.Lead the way GM. Lead the way in fuel economy .
    As it is, the HHR is likely to get very decent mileage. Not sure that a nice vehicle would be the place for GM to pump money into diesels or hybrid technology.

I think the Malibu should have a hybrid version next year though.
    This is MUCH better than the early reports of MSRPs starting in the low twenties. It appears that the 1LT represents a lot of value considering the level of standard equipment. These prices combined with the availability of a manual transmission bring this car back on to my radar screen. The only thing I don't find appealing is that Malibu Maxxesque plastic shellacked cargo hold. Not only does it look incredibly cheesy, putting anything back there except soft luggage is going to mar the heck out of it (and I pity the dogs that will be forced to ride back there - they'll be canine ping-pongs).

All that plastic doesn't do anything for stifling road noise either - I rode in the back seat of a Pontiac Vibe once (which has a similar plastic party going on in the back) and had nary a clue as to what the front passengers were saying for most of the trip. Oh well... I guess GM's got to try to save a few bucks wherever they can. Best save the carpeting for the Cadillacs.
    I wish the HHR was a little taller. It's about the same height as my Aerio SX which is taller than most cars at 61". But my wife's VUE is 66" and I like that height better.

64" like the Mazda 5 would be a good compromise. If the HHR is based on a Suburban, it's an awfully short Suburban.
    Here's another I wish...I wish the HHR had a 5sp auto. 5 speeds are becoming the standard. 4 speeds will soon be econobox only. They could at least offer it in the top model LT2.
  • irnmdnirnmdn Member Posts: 245
    Even $50,000 Corvette comes with four speed auto!
    The HHR is an econo box though?

GM has 5 speeds in some vehicles like the Equinox and has more 5 and 6 speed automatics coming in a year or two.
  • npgmbrnpgmbr Member Posts: 248
    Actually that plastice cargo hold is not exclusively for the purpose of saving money. The plastic is easier to clean than carpet but I think it does help keep the price of the vehicle down.

If your looking for something that has more entry level lexury appointments then you shouldn't be lookin at the Vibe in the first place. You'll find that the Vibe's cousin the Toyata Matrix has the same plastic in back.

However, you have the choice of buying a cargo mat directly from Pontic if you don't like the plastic and if thats not exactly what your looking for then your other choice is to move up to a pricier vehicle like maybe the Equinox or soon to be released Torrent. You might also find what your looking for in the Element.
    The Equinox/Torrent are slushboxes only. I'm looking for a stick and thus my interest in the HHR. The pitch (if you buy it) is that plastic is easier to clean, but the actual reason why they're using it is cost. I don't think carpeting in the cargo hold is a luxury feature. The base PT Cruiser has it (carpeted load floor and rear seatbacks) and those go for less than $15K. If I do end up buying an HHR, I'd have to get the load mat, but it would be nice if there was something soft-touch on the seatbacks as well.
  • billmchalebillmchale Member Posts: 107
    While the PT Cruiser has its cargo area carpeted, the Toyota Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe
    don't. I do know that the plastic would convenient if you constantly are hauling dirty things (say muddy cleats from the kids weekly soccer game).

--
    Bill