Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan 350Z Problems and Solutions

Comments

• pbcuppbcup Member Posts: 6
    i read an earlier post saying that a squeak originated from the rear view mirror (although it sounded like it came from the dash.) might wanna give it a check...
  • tom20tom20 Member Posts: 1
    yes indeed the 04 350z has tire problems. i had front tires replaced at 9500 miles and will need another set shortly. the dealer supplied the first replacements, after a 3 week wait, but i don't know what will happen this time around. its a shame, i really like the car but it has to go!
  • jlkmjlkm Member Posts: 1
    Got my 350Z Roadster (Touring) about 5 months ago. It now has approx. 5,000 miles on it. It's now stuck in a shop.

I was stuck in traffic a couple days ago, heard a slight rattle from under the car, smelled burnt plastic, and the car stalled. Re-started only to find it could be shifted into first but wouldn't engage. Pushed off the road, towed. Yes, I know how to drive stick and I don't ride the clutch.

I have spoken to 2 Nissan dealerships and a customer service rep, all of whom are trying to tell me that I burned out the clutch b/c I was in traffic. I had my last car for 7 years/125,000 miles without ever having to replace the clutch, yet I'm suddenly being told I don't know how to drive stick.

But get this: The guy at the shop was able to drive it the next day. OK, so I destroyed the clutch, but suddenly it has self-repaired???

Of course, in reality, the problem is that the clutch isn't covered under warranty, while the transmission is. They want me to be a crappy driver. I've been seeing stuff on the 'net that these AND the G35's (same tranny, same engine, right?) are experiencing transmission problems. Hydrolics system, air in the lines, something - I don't know exactly but I'm sure there's a transmission problem that's causing overheating and accelerated wear and tear of some sort.

If anyone has advice, please share. Customer service at Nissan has been quite unimpressive. I took for granted the fact that my Integra was so reliable - never occurred to me that a brand-new car would need a transmission overhaul.
  • rjgcparjgcpa Member Posts: 11
    I have an '04 with manual 6-sp transmission (only 2,700 miles). I have intermittent feel of metal crunch through the shifter when up-shifting to 2nd. Sometimes I feel it going into 3rd as well but not as pronounced a feel. I don't grind gears but I can feel metal on metal. Mechanic says he can't feel it and can't think of anything that would cause it to happen sporadic. Can anybody offer a suggestion. Thanks.
  • pscholes18pscholes18 Member Posts: 14
    I see a of people have had problems..im going ot be buying a 2k4 350z base model and was wondering exactly what problems should I address to the dealer beforehand...tires? what else?

Are these problems suppose to be fixed in the 2k4 models or late 2k4 models??
  • luxieluxie Member Posts: 3
    The two front wheels on my new 04 Touring Roadster (17" wheels) became unusually greasy and grimy after about 1,000 miles. Rear wheels are absolutely fine. The front wheels look fine now after I cleaned them up, but was wondering why the two fronts should dirty up so quickly while the rears stayed clean. Is this normal based on braking action, or whatever, -- or could it possibly indicate a problem down the road?

Many thanks for any feedback.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    So these are your first set of open wheels, huh? It happens in all cars, actually, as the front brakes get a lot more work than the rears. As a result, brake dust coats the front wheels much faster than the rear.

It's just a matter of washing it off. Nonetheless, the stuff is highly corrosive and eventually will chew up your alloy wheels if left unwashed -- it will begin by showing little pit marks in the alloy after you wash the wheels.

You can help out tremendously by -- obviously -- washing the wheels with a soft brush and the same car soap you use on the body. Don't use harsh (dishwashing) soap on your wheels, or on the car body.

You can make your life quite easy in fact if you coat the alloy wheels with a good coat of car wax. This will make it much easier to wash the gunk off the wheels and will protect them a little bit from the corrosive brake dust.

Hope this helps.

JW
  • dltdlt Member Posts: 1
    I changed out the 6 1/2 inch speakers behind the drivers seat with 3-way Kendwoods and the door speakers replaced with 2 - 8" pioneer bass+ speakers. I also added a 4 channel amp, an equalizer and a bass tube in the back (it didn't take up much room except the space directly behind the seats in the hatchback area which is usually empty anyway). I also had a sirius receiver installed (hate commercial radio) and now my system is superb. All for about $1,000.00 which is great considering how much i am in my 350Z - averaging 30K miles a year and loveing it all, sound, speed and the stares.
  • luxieluxie Member Posts: 3
    Hey JW, thanks a lot! Your advice is very helpful. And yes, you got it, my first open wheels.

luxie
  • baker2baker2 Member Posts: 2
    So I read all the problems that were posted about the 03Z and bought an 04 Touring automatic. I get 32 miles per gal on the open road. The Bose sterio is great,the car is tight,no rattles. The trunk space is not as big as the 2000 Mits Eclips that I had before the Nissan. But the Eclips is NOT a 350Z. I just moved to Florida from NY and still got plenty of stuff in the trunk. The tires have hardly any wear at 6600 miles. This will probably be my last car,as I do not want to make payments the rest of my life. I am 63 years young and grew up with fast cars in the 60ies. Gas was 25cents per gal. Those were the good old days. The car is Silver metalic and after a good wax job looks great. Not that it looked bad before. No problems with the the paint even after a 3000 mile trip.
  • bmiabmia Member Posts: 1
    How did you get your tires replaced. I have been trying for two weeks now, talking to the dealer, Nissan and the tire manufacturer and they are giving me the runaround. Need help...
  • baker2baker2 Member Posts: 2
    Undicided [dcolas] see my posting [baker2]
  • kat9kat9 Member Posts: 2
    Let me know if you get help on this. I started having troulbe with my 04Z at 10000 miles. I have gone round and round with both Nissan and the dealership. I am now in daily contact with them and feel they may be weakening a little. I plan to notify all the car quality people of my difficuly and as a last ditch effort I am thinking about the possiblity of starting a class action lawsuit against nissan.
  • kat9kat9 Member Posts: 2
    Let me know if you get help on this. I started having trouble with my 04Z at 10000 miles. I have gone round and round with both Nissan and the dealership. I am now in daily contact with them and feel they may be weakening a little. I plan to notify all the car quality people of my difficulty and as a last ditch effort I am thinking about the possibility of starting a class action lawsuit against nissan.
  • starchecker1starchecker1 Member Posts: 35
    Hi guys, just got my brand new Daytona Blue 350Z Touring Roadster, absolutely love it. Totally worthless in the snow, but hopefully some snow tires will take care of that.

Just a couple of questions. I just finished the engine break in for 1200 miles so I can now rev it up, I notice a lot of vibration in the stick over 4,000, is that normal in these cars, and if so, do aftermarket shifters help eliminate the engine feedback?

Next thing: on the auto dimming mirror, if in auto mode, it always has a blueish tint, even in the daytime, cloudy or sunlight. I thought it would only do that if it was night and someone had their headlights blasting you from the back.

Finally this seems minor, but after 20 years of driving this is the first car I've had this issue with. Basically if you are not making a hard 90 degree turn the blinker won't click off. Taking exit ramps or even intersections with any type of rounded off turn, the signal stays on. I usually have the radio blasting and so driving during the daylight, it is easy to miss the signal that the blinker is still on(and I hate it when people drive with their blinkers on, so I don't want to become one of them.) Has anybody else noticed this, is there some adjustment that can be made so I don't have to get used to the fact that I will always have to turn the signal off myself. Basically if the turn doesn't require turning the wheel 90 degrees or more, it won't click off.

Any input would be appreciated. With only 1200 miles I realize I'm no expert, but no mechanical problems so far!

To others who might be considering not getting the Z becuase of this message board, remember this is where people gripe about their problems. So it is easy to get scared off, but even the venerable Acura's sites talk about failed transmissions and other nightmares. Years ago when I was considering a VW Jetta VR6 and read all the nightmares, people told me the same thing. The only difference was there were so many problems, that were very consistent(anything electrical), lasted for several model years, worldwide shortage of replacement parts(the O2 sensors were constantly failing). Bottom line that was a maintenance board too, but the complaints were 10 times worse and 10 times more frequent. Granted there are a lot more Jetta's out there than 350Z's, but so far all things considered the complaints are relatively tame and infrequent.
  • bflemingbfleming Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2003 350z in B,ham AL. I have the tire troubles like everyone else. I tried to trade it in at a Mazda dealership where my uncle is the GM. He said that the value of the 350 is gone do to the tire troubles. I paid 32 grand for this car and it's now worth about 17 grand on trade in. He hired a guy from Nissan and was told they are buying some of them back at the same price the customer paid. Has anyone heard of this happening anywhere else? If so, what steps did you take to give it back to Nissan?
  • mikebkmikebk Member Posts: 2
    I noticed the turn signal seemed reluctant to turn off on my 2004 Le Mans Sunset Roadster when I first bought it in May. However, over time, the problem seems to have corrected itself (maybe the lever just needed some use?). I'm up to about 2900 miles now, and it usually clicks off on its own.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    My Father bought a '03 Touring model Z and Nissan bought back his car for the price he paid. He got in touch with a lawyer and went from there. Nissan tried to jerk him around.....tried to blame him for the tire wear issues. Nissan called his dealer and blamed them for not having the correct equipment to fix the ire problems. Bottom line: the only party that was to blame was NISSAN. They finally agreed and returned his money through the Lemon Law process.
  • 328skidpad328skidpad Member Posts: 1
    After 2 years of owning a 350z.
    Summary
    Excellent Design Horrible Engineering.
    I have owned 4 bmw's and thought the z would be a great value. It was fast, fun and had very good handling. But what a piece of junk. After 1 year, everything creaked, when ever I hit a stick on the road or bump the whole dash board sounded like a 2X4 hit my hood. I have had 6 alignments done in the past 2 yrs, went through 2 sets of tires ($>$1000) for the past $22K miles and was at the dealership every 2 months.
    I have three children and am 32 yrs old thus dont have a lot of time to hang out at dealerships, but the time I did spend at the dealership was "necessary" due to the flaws. I hope to buy a z again when they fix all the problems.
    I just bought a new honda accord, excellent quality,excellent power, dead quiet, awesome handling, great package but a bit boring. I am quietly laughing at all the nissan altima owners that they have actually bought a piece of scrap metal compared to a honda accord or leisure toyota camry.

buyer beware...
    I hate to say it, but you should of gotten Nissan to foot the bill for the new tires. My Father had the same problems and Nissan agreed to buy 2 sets of tires for his '03 350 Z. This is a known issue with Z's and Nissan knows it.
  • tmnjalttmnjalt Member Posts: 19
    I've spent the last 2 weeks shopping for an 03 350Z and at this point i'm backing off due to the tire feathering problems. I test drove five 2003

350Z's during my search and 3/5 had the tire roar problem. One of the quiet ones had only 4000 miles on it and the other quiet one had BRAND new tires at 14000 miles.
  • furlyfurly Member Posts: 5
    i have a 2003 touring z brought it with 32 miles guess what at 6000 miles clutch was gone lets not talk about brakes need them every 6 months well nissan paid for the new transmisson or clutch now at 22000 same problem said thing is i dont run the car hard nice and pretty with navigation but the parts cant handle the speed
  • furlyfurly Member Posts: 5
    yes u know how to drive a stick i a have a 2003 z touring clutch went out at 6000 now im at 22000 again its hell
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    Do you know if nissan has fixed the tire wear problems for the 04' or maybe the 05' models? I am considering the Z but really am waiting for the issue to be corrected. I have heard that there is an alignment fix having to do with adjusting the camber or caster. It is suppose to change the way the car tracks therefore eliminating excessive wear problems.Some people report not having any tire wear/roar issues at all so it might just be the way these cars are transported on the trucks.Could be that the way they are loaded on the trucks might be messing up the alignment or tire pressures. I dont think that these delivery preps that the dealerships do even go beyond taking plastic off and washing the car nevermind verifying tire pressure/alignment.
  • tdb13tdb13 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to purchase the 2005 350Z performance model. I love the car and it's a blast to drive. I was wondering if the chipping and tire problems are with the 2005 models too? I'm a little reluctant to purchase because of these problems. I would like to make the deal by tomorrow. Unfortunately I got in a car accident and my car was totaled so now I'm in a position to buy immediately. I use to have a Mitsubishi 300GT. I loved my car and haven't found anything like it. Any info on 2005 problems I would sincerely appreciate it. Thanks!
  • v350zv350z Member Posts: 1
    Well, I guess I'm relieved that others are having the same problem that I'm having with the rear tires. Considering all the problems, has anyone tried another tire other than the bridgestone potenza?

v350z
    I believe my Father's second or thrird set of tires was a different brand. Unfortunately, he experienced the same feathering and noise problems.
    ...have any of you tried what the racers use -- the Nismo suspension upgrades? Pricey, but still they claim it has fixed the suspension just fine for them. Nissan won't do it, of course, because it would add a couple thou to the MSRP.

JW
  • highonfirehighonfire Member Posts: 2
    Well I've been reading the pros & cons on this car & I'm trying to make up my mind. I test drove an '03 350z enthusiast & loved it. I simply want to know if it's a wise decision to buy one or at least wise for me. It would be the newest car I've owned & the largest payment at $375mo. for 60mo. I just don't want to have any regrets. In short I'm scared & not sure what to do. I'm 34 with no kids, not married, really good credit & driving record. I don't wanna mess that up. Well the credit & driving record part anyway. Thanks for any help in advance.

Cheers,

Chris
    Chris, I don't see how the car could mess up any of that. Otoh, if that's a lot of money for you, and your trade or money down is going to make it so the total cash outlay is crazy for you, then there's no car that's worth it, imo. And if you want Toyota or Honda reliability, buy Toyota or Honda and pray you get a good one. And if you want comfort and a relaxing, stylish ride, don't buy a sports car. You have to ask yourself why you're buying a car.

Your comments suggest that you're not sure the Z is a good car for you .... if I'm right, don't get it. Too much hassle and too expensive to get rid of it later.

Hope I've helped.

JW
  • liongirlliongirl Member Posts: 10
    I own a 03 350Z enthusiast. Tire roar started 3 months after purchase. Was ignorant and not aware of significance. Received TSB in June 04, and Nissan gave me an alignment and new front tires. Roar came back again and Nissan once again replaced tires (said it was the tires) and insisted I pay for them. Did a litte homework and now aware of class action suit (see Nissantireproblems.com)and suspension problem. Will follow through with complaint to Nissan,and dealer. Will pursue Lemon Law and will contact newspapers if necessary, as well as spreading the word to Z owners. I like the car otherwise, I think Nissan should buy me new tires every year and give me free alignments until the problem is solved. What do you Z owners think?
  • highonfirehighonfire Member Posts: 2
    Well that really sucks! I love the looks of the car & the one I test drove was a blast to drive. It's too bad they have this problem though. I really want to get a sports car & the Z & Vette are the only one s I'm aware of now that I really like without getting into an older car. I guess I'll just stick to my current car but I really want something more fun to drive & good looks too that I can & want to afford.
  • zingerzinger Member Posts: 61
    Thanks for the info. I was shopping for a 2004 Touring last week and mentioned the tire and alignment problem to the salesman. Of course he said that has all been corrected and he acted as if it was never a problem. At another dealer the salesman never heard of this problem ever. I told him to go check Edmunds. I am thinking of sticking with my 2000 Celica GTS which is almost as fun to drive and I have not had any problems.
  • zingerzinger Member Posts: 61
    Did you buy? Have you found out if the problems have been corrected? The salesmen I talk to know nothing about tire problems or alignment issues.
  • judyojudyo Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 350Z and the clutch just went out at 6,000 miles. The dealer claims that the vehicle has been abused and that Nissan will not pay for the clutch. They are basing this on their claim that the tire tread in the back indicates that the car has been run to hard. I do not abuse that vehicle; in fact, I have never had a vehicle that I have cared for as much. I am curious what you had to do to get Nissan to repair the clutch. Your situation sounds like mine. Please respond--I am facing a repair bill of over $ 2000.
  • mr. rodimr. rodi Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an O4 Z. I had extreme difficulty backing up a steep driveway. I smelled my clutch burning and the car smoked too. Has this ever happened to you with your Z? Mr. Rodi
    It happens with any car when you ride the clutch. What you smell is the friction plate which has overheated. It can get pretty expensive because, as the previous post suggests, it wouldn't be covered by warranty.

You may want to practice -- most clutches take up much faster in reverse than even in 1st. Try it on a gentler slope and, rather than riding the clutch (engaging it part way) to 'creep' into your position, try to be more decisive. In other words, engage the clutch completely then, when you want to slow it down and nudge it into the last few inches, disengage the clutch completely, then engage in short stabs.

It takes practice for sure.

Hope this helps.

JW
    My dealer reimbursed me for the second set of tires after I contacted the regional office. I discoverd Nissan extended all 2003 350Z front-wheel alignment warranties for 2 years from in-service date which includes tires, not the 2004s. They were unable to tell me what happens after expiration, Nissan has not informed them. They are working on it. Don't buy a 2005 350Z folks, until you know for sure if the suspension design defect has been fixed.
    So, after the 2 year period the customer will be responsible for new tires?
  • my5thzmy5thz Member Posts: 1
    I have owned many cars. This latest one my 350ZR is great so far. I bought it in November 2004 in Ultra Yellow. New color for 2005. Well to make long story short. No problems yet except for excessive paint chipping.. You touch the car and it chips!. Mainly on the hood. So far I spoke with the dealer and they stated it was due to road debris. Ok yeah I know what hit the car to cause the chip but why is the paint so fragile. After I noticed this problem on my car I started searching the net.. Postings everywhere. I have had the car now for two months and have about 15 chips. This is really crazy. I now have a case number with customer affairs. Will keep you posted. Anyone else seeing this problem. To me I think it could also be a problem with the new paint color. Two friends have a silver and black on 2003 and 2004 and don’t have one chip on the hood. Any advice would help when talking to the Nissan folks. BTW none of the chips are to the metal only to the primer. Thanks
  • pbcuppbcup Member Posts: 6
    dear rjgcpa,

i have the same problem with my 05 roadster. upshifiting into second gear gets "stuck" but doesn't grind. and clutch is fully depressed. dealer said it's normal, but i've driven sticks before and it's not normal. did you get it fixed by the dealer?
  • hof00hof00 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there to everyone from New Zealand....

I brought my 350Z "Track" in early January.

I have read on many sites, (Esp. USA), about problems with suspension set-ups causing rapid tyre wear. The dealer and others that I have talked to here have no knowledge of this problem.

One of the first things that I did was to put "V" grove directional radials on as the old tyres were 18K old but the tyres that came off were o.k.

How long is it before people notice undue tyre wear and what is the best fix?

Cheers....HOF.
    When I asked the dealer what happens after the warranty expires they said they didn't know, they have not received any information from Nissan. I'm waiting to see if the tires feather again, it usually appears after 3,000 miles on my car. I'll call Nissan back as well and see what they have to say. I talked to an attorney and they think I have a case, we have to wait for a 3rd repair to claim the lemon law. The whole thing is a damn nuisance. I just want them to fix it!
    I own a 03 350Z. Tire roar started about 3 months after purchase. I put on about 1120 miles a month. Another friend had to have tires replaced after 1500 miles. Another gentleman had to have his replaced around the time the first TSB came out in June 04, he owned at 2003 basic. I don't know how many miles he had. Trust me you will notice, the tire roar starts out suble, but gets progressively louder. Sounds like a warped tire up front. Right now new tires and alignment is the fix.
  • webickywebicky Member Posts: 1
    My paint chips very easily. I have a black 04 Z convertable. Anyone else have these problems? Do I hear a recall? I already fixed one probelm for 150. but I don't want to keep shelling out money?
  • peabody1peabody1 Member Posts: 1
    I have just sold my 2003 touring 350Z. i could not get over 5000 miles on any tires. My car had problems with all the tires I tried. A friend of mine sells tires and said that he puts them on the 350 all the time and ha yet to find one the works well. I hate it because I lived the car but i could not afford the tire problem.
  • cdikmencdikmen Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone verify that the excessive tire wear issues have been resolved on the 2005 models? I am looking to purchase a Touring model in the next few weeks.
  • cdikmencdikmen Member Posts: 3
    You may not be aware that there was a defect in the 2003/2004 front end and suspension system that caused excessive tire wear. There are even some class-action lawsuits against Nissan. My dealer told me that Nissan agreed to provide free tires for life for the original purchasers of Z's with this problem.
  • jaz499jaz499 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '04 350Z. I've had it for 7 months and I've encountered several problems.

The rear view mirror was making too much noise.

The "service engine soon" light came on twice(once after the dealer said the problem was fixed).

The two front tires are wearing out uneven(I can actually see and feel the lumps) and the noise inside while driving is unbearable. The dealer told me that I drive it like a sports car. My first response was, "Well, it is!". Nissan would not replace my tires nor the tire company.

Anybody else have had these problems? The other stuff was fixed but I'm afraid if I change the tires the same wearing out will ocurr.
    All I can say is go back and read the prior posts in this thread. As a matter of fact read about 3 posts up. Tire wear on Z's is VERY common. The dealer you spoke with is most likely hoping you will buy their "it's a sports car" response and go on your merry way. My Dad had the same wear issues with his tires on his '03 Z and Nissan bought back the car from him. Also, they paid for 2 sets of tires in the span of 15K +/- miles.
This discussion has been closed.