Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Excellent post Galileo757.

I tried this on my first oil change, just a suggestion.

Reference Step #4:
    On the 2nd skid plate, rather than pry the plastic oval access door off with a screw driver just reach over the top of the plate and tap down on any corner with your fingers, it will pop right off.

Just guessing that from multiple oil changes this plastic door will eventually crack or break from the prying? Maybe its an inexpensive replacement part, or at the very least, it should be.

....and on Step #7. What torque setting did you used for the drain plug? I believe it is 27 ft. lbs.

I agree with you about doing this job yourself. Why risk something as important as this at a fast lube shop with a 19 year old with two weeks experience. Do you think he will use the correct torque setting.

The oil and filter change on the 04 V8 is very easy to do.
  • Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    Highlander7, good point on the oil plug access door, I wanted to push it out or push in the plastic tabs holding the door secure to the skid plate, could not reach my hand far enough to get to the access door from the front of the skid plate, I said to myself before prying the door open, watch me break one of the tabs holding the door to the skid plate. I'll get a price on the access door next time I'm at the dealer, either I will break it or will fall off on the road...lol
    Torque on the oil plug, no clue, just wanted to sound technical.
    My next project will be lubing the 4WD propeller shafts to find out how many grease fitting for the U-joints.
    Galileo757

Someone may advise us on the torque setting for the oil drain plug. My 2002 4Runner was 27 ft. lbs. so I am using that for now. I advise purchasing a torque wrench for this step. The bolt (plug) can be over tightened and strip the threads, this will cause a real inconvenience.

When you lube the 4WD propeller shafts and grease the U-joints, please do a step by step write up like you did for the oil change. This was very informative and useful information, it helps all of us maintain our trucks.

thank you,
  • Galileo757Galileo757 Member Posts: 37
    You got it, 10,000 more miles to go before the lube.

<please do a step by step write up like you did for the oil change.>
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    Guys - What is there to lube on a 2004?

Edmunds has the oil/filter change interval for the 4Runner at 5,000 miles - is this correct? It also has retorque the driveshaft bolts every 5,000 miles, which I've never heard of before. It seems like Edmunds might be going by a severe service schedule, since their intervals for some models don't match the Owner's Manuals.
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    After reading problem posts here and elsewhere, it seems like Toyota has to get the first year blues out of the way on the 4Runner. My brother purchased a Taco Dble Cab and between 2 recalls and a handful of rattles and problems in only 22K, needless to say my old favorite car company it starting to scare me. I know this is just the problem board, but it seems the GM boards are running neck and neck with Toyota. My GMC cargo van ain't lookin so bad. Maybe a little feed back on these problems being solved in 04 will make me sleep better at night. Good luck everyone!
  • sierrapksierrapk Member Posts: 19
    My 2000 SR-5 4WD now has over 75K miles and has been (by a huge margin) the best vehicle I have ever owned. However, a problem with the instrument cluster (tachometer) has just appeared that has me stumped. The tach and speedo pointers are illuminated RED by some unknown light source when the headlights are on. The illumination level of the tachometer pointer suddenly has dropped to a very dim, dull glow; the speedo pointer remains at a full bright red. I have the factory service manual and the section on Body Electrical covers all the various light bulbs in the instrument cluster, but makes absolutely no mention of instrument pointer illumination. Does anyone know where the light source is for the tach and speedo pointers? My fear is that the light source may be a built-in LED (light emitting diode)that will require replacement of the entire instrument cluster to repair.

Any input is appreciated.
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    Aside from the sulfur smell, has anyone had any other complaints about the V6 engine? I've read on a couple of websites that the V6 is rated one of the most unreliable engines for the new models out. I was set on getting a V6 until I read this and am now thinking about paying the extra $1K+ for a V8 as this engine is more established. Any experiences would be greatly appreciate thanks!
  • loudog2loudog2 Member Posts: 83
    When the v6 first came out it had a recall on a part of the fuel system(forgot exactly what it was called). It has been fixed, no other problems since. The v6 is brand new, so I don't know how consumer reports came up with this decission to name it unreliable. Just remember that the engine is new, but the transmission is the same old reliable one. On the other hand the v8 is old and reliable, but the transmission is brand new(if I'm not mistaken).
  • ladyofluxuryladyofluxury Member Posts: 93
    Thanks loudog, I don't know how consumer reports came up with that either, I am aware of the recall but hadn't heard any gripes from owners since. I am thinking more long term since I like to keep my vehicles 9 years +, it is a trade off because I can spend the extra money to get a v8 or get the v6 and spend the extra money on an extended warranty that I may or may not need. I don't know.
  • lee614lee614 Member Posts: 2
    03 V6 sport w/ navigation (excuse and future misspelling)

ELECTRICAL:
    1) Fan does not blow when is says it is blowing. I think it is freezing temp related. after about 30 miles and turning truck on then off "fixes" it.
    2) radio volume gets (virtually stuck)knob turns but volume stays the same. I turn truck off then on. problem "fixed"
    3) radio volume was silent, I couldn't even get static. I turn truck off then on. problem "fixed"
    4)VSC error light came on and said "VSC off". I turn truck off then on. problem "fixed"
    5) after spraying fluid on windshield, and the wipers wipe a few times..they fail to go all the way back down.

MECHANICAL & HARDWARE:
    1) brakes squeal like a bus... hot or cold
    2)belt make alot of noise for 1st few minutes of operation. almost sounds like bearings grinding too.
    3)passenger vent broken on delivery (and was fixed by Dealer)
    4)back passenger vents don't blow air
    5)Side molding coming off by windshield and top of door (replaced by dealer)
    6)plastic around door key hole was loose and wiggled.. dealer tightened it.
    7)plastic cladding scratch with any slight metal object.
    8) seat belt making marks on side center arm rest area when putting belt on and on side column near face when belt retracts back (really cheap plastic??)
    9) yea everyone knows toyota stuck the cluster too far back and I cant see it... but officer really I couldn't see it... thanks for the ticket.
    10)Windshield fluid doesn't spray in freezing temps.

I love my truck, I am not trying to bash Toyota or 4Runners. But these intermitant electrical problems will never be fixed because toyota can't witness them... thus refusing to fix it. And when I bring it in and show them the problem. they say set up an appointment. and when the problem goes away their obligation to fix the problem goes away. Any suggestions
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    and only problem i've had is the lower body color cladding on the drivers door was loose. dealer reattached.
    other than that it's been perfectly reliable.
    oh - and in MN its been -10to-50 below zero for almost 2 weeks - everything works :)

2003 SR5 V6
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    4500 trouble free V6 engine miles here. Built 5/03. Purchased 8-31-03. No smells, bells, or whistles. Other issues, but engine perfect to date. FYI - 3 coworkers have the V8 in their Tundra's & couldn't be happier, but then again California gasoline is low-sulfur
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    ladyofluxury, I think loudog2 had it right. There was a recall on the fuel pulsation damper on some early '03 V6s, but I don't know of anything else significant. Some of the V6s apparently make more of what is probably valve tappet noise, and perhaps that (and things like squealing belts) may have affected the ratings. This was discussed here a while back, and nobody could make sense of it. For me, I've had no problems with the V6, and think I made the right decision for me for reasons that I've already covered. As for the new vs. established, engine vs. transmission issue, loudog2 has that right too. My own experience agrees with a lot of what you'll read in the Maintenance & Repair discussions--new transmissions are at least as likely to have teething issues as new engines. Major repair expenses are similar, too.
    I thought I might add a few bits from my experience that might be useful for someone changing oil/filter.

Torque for the oil pan bolt (from the repair manual) is 29 ft-lbs for the V8 and 30 ft-lbs for the V6. Use a 14 mm socket in each case.

The oil filter placement on the V6 is superb. There is even a "cup" to catch any oil that's spilled, and a drain pipe at the bottom of the cup. Why doesn't everybody do this? You can get some 5/16" soft tubing to channel the drainage from the cup, but I found a good alternative. I spent a couple of minutes using a stiff wire to make a hook to hang a disposable plastic cup under the filter drain assembly. Worked very well.

It's hard to get your head/body under the skid plates to see the drain plug unless you jack up the front a little or use ramps. Just a couple of inches of ramp would be enough to make things much easier.

It can be hard to read the dipstick, as oil gathers in the rather serpentine dipstick tube and adheres to the bottom of the dipstick when it's pulled out. You get strange and inconsistent readings. Seems best to pull the dipstick out and forward and look at the top side.

Anybody else find a very thin, fiber/metallic washer on the oil plug/pan? It's not at all like the thick fiber ones they sell you to use. No problem, but confusing.
  • bmc5bmc5 Member Posts: 16
    Help! I just purchased an '03 4 Runner LTD V8 w/ 10,000 miles and was quite surprised this morning on my commute that my radio was not working. The radio turned on and showed the volume level at 32 but no sound and then when I tried to adjust the level nothing happened at all (no sound, but all functions seemed to be working via the display)??? Is there an easy solution or did I do something wrong, it sure doesn't make sense to me. Please help if you can share some insight on the cause & remedy of this problem. I'm hoping this is not a start of other problems to come. Thank you in advance.
  • 4runnaway4runnaway Member Posts: 11
    Oh, what a feeling -- of regret! I have a 2004 V6 4runner with 300 miles. I have not read any other complaints on this site about wind noise. I can't feel any air coming in and there doesn't seem to be any water leaks, but I can sure hear a lot of noise around the windshield and especially around the side mirrors. Hasn't anyone else noticed this? I was checking the posts to see if anyone else had experienced this wind noise and I noticed all of the posts regarding the sulfur smell. I thought, "I'm sure glad I don't have that problem, at least". That was until today, when I opened my car door to the smell of eggs. This car is brand new and I've been driving like and old lady for the break-in period, so it can't be that I'm driving too harshly. I have a 1993 4Runner and it is a great truck (no wind noise, either). My only complaint is that it's a stick shift and I need an automatic. Past experience is not an indictor of future experience, I've found.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    can't help you. I've got the same system and mine works fine. Call up the dealer and schedule a visit.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    No obtrusive wind noise here unless a back seat window is cracked at highway speeds. Less than highway speeds & the noise is tolerable. Vehicle is however just a bit louder than my '97 Blazer it replaced. If glass was a millimeter thicker it would really cut down the decibels, not to mention the (2) windshield repairs I've had in 5 months of ownership. No sulfur smell here.
    What's with all the windshield repairs I've been reading about here? Aren't these vehicles meant for off-roading? It sounds like you can't even go over a bump without shattering the glass!
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    My 4Runner is very quiet. No wind noise. No problems. My 03 V-8 Sport only has 16 K miles on it.
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    for 300 miles you have an aweful lot to complain about. Did you test drive it...obviosly not enough because wind noise is something that would definetly turn up on a test drive. Did your windshield break yet? No, then why are you complaining about it. And I firmly believe that the sulfur smell IS from the gas as new cat conv. ahve a new nickel compound in them that is not as efficient at removing sulfur. The new compound is apparently safer to work with which is a concern for the people who build these trucks. The exhaust getting into the cabin while driving is another subject.
  • oldnavycdroldnavycdr Member Posts: 17
    I noticed significant wind noise, especially with the sun roof opened. I adjusted the cross bar on the roof rack backwards and that took care of it. Give that a try.
    To oldnavycdr, I did move the cross bar back and it helped a great deal. Thank you!

And yes, toybox, I did test drive the car, but I do not have a lot of experience in that department and I guess I feel that I was duped somewhat, even though I should have known better. My car still had the plastic coating on it from shipment -- that coating that they put on cars to transport them. I was told that was causing the noise and that sounded quite logical to me. Like I said, I have another 4runner that is very quiet so I didn't question his explanation. I have learned my lesson, just like everyone has to learn their lesson, I guess, to never, never, never trust what a car salesman tells you without making them prove it. And no, toybox, my windshield has not broken yet, but I did have a car in the past that had to have SIX new windshields installed, so forgive me for getting a little paranoid in that department. Why are you being so harsh, anyway? Do you work for Toyota? I thought this area was meant for people to post complaints, comments, concerns, questions, or whatever? Am I wrong? I guess since I came fresh out of the horror of dealing with my salesman and the whole sales experience, I was finding it very hard to enjoy my new car. Now that the memory of that is fading, I am liking it a lot better. How about cutting a person a little slack, heh?
  • evgevg Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport. When I start the truck I hear a noise behind the passenger side dashboard. It sounds like a weak power antenna for about three seconds followed by a light pop. It's not constant but every few minutes. The Toyota service department where I purchased it says it's the VSC control and that it's normal noise. The manual says I should here it when I start the truck for a few seconds. My problem is it's happening at anytime when the engines running whether I'm parked, braking or driving. It's hard to believe that an annoying constant noise is considered "normal". Does anyone else have this noise and what did you do for it. Please advise.
    I had the noise on my 2002 4Runner and the same explanation from the dealer that it was the VSC control. At first I was concerned, after awhile realized this is normal and accepted it. Other than the weather stripping on the drivers door being replaced three times, this was an absolutely perfect vehicle. Enjoy your 4Runner, this noise is just an indication that the system is working, you will eventually ignore it.

My 04 4Runner does not make this noise, Toyota must have changed something? And after 3000 miles my new Runner has also been perfect!!
  • toyboxxtoyboxx Member Posts: 150
    4runnaway, I'm glad you are happy with your truck!
  • arkansasdonarkansasdon Member Posts: 3
    The base of the driver's seat on my '03 V8 Sport is prone to move slightly. It is especially noticeable upon acceleration. You can feel the seat give and there is a soft "pop" that you can hear and reproduce by rocking in the seat. I have seen others describe this problem in this forum but have yet to hear of anyone coming away from Toyota with anything but the dealer telling them that this is normal. The movement is VERY annoying and is unacceptable. Has anyone had this successfully resolved?
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    No.

I agree, it's unacceptable
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I agree that the losse seat is not right. So far, I only notice it on tight corners. Dealer says it is a function of the seat height adjustment, but my other cars had height adjustments and the seat bottom didn't wiggle.

Similarly, my rear view mirror is slightly loose such that it jiggles on rough roads. The dealer told me that it cannot be tightened. I guess they will just have to replace it then.
  • joeypdotjoeypdot Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if anyone out there with a 03 Sport edition V6 is experiencing any noise when accelerating. My 03 sounds nice and smooth when in neutral, but put it in drive and accelerate moderately to hard and it sounds like the engine has a tapping sound similar to a valve tap. It just sound horrible if you a driving next to a guard rail, or a building, or a concrete barrier. Dealer tells me that this is not abnormal, but I have trouble believing that Toyota would be selling a vehicle that sounds like this.
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    If it makes you feel any better I too have the wind noise that you are complaining about. I've posted this before to same criticism you've experienced.
  • evgevg Member Posts: 3
    I just purchased a 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport. When I start the truck I hear a noise behind the passenger side dashboard. It sounds like a weak power antenna for about three seconds followed by a light pop. It's not constant but every few minutes. The first Toyota service department where I purchased it says it's the VSC control and the second one says it's the brake sensor and that it's normal noise. The manual says I should here it when I start the truck for a few seconds but my problem is it's happening about every other time I'm braking and the noise drives me crazy. It's hard to believe that an annoying constant noise is considered "normal". Does anyone else have this noise and what did you do for it. Please advise.
  • rustwrongrustwrong Member Posts: 3
    I have had the same experience with a loose drivers seat as reported by akansasdon. The dealer is replacing the entire seat. I hope to pick up my 2003 4runner today.
    I also have the V6 with a 'tapping' engine noise. I have heard it is related to a valve cover that is very thin. Others have said it is normal on the aluminum engine. My dealer also says it is normal for the V6. In my case, I don't really hear it unless the window is open and I drive next to something that reflects the noise. But it is a pretty crummy sound for a new engine.
  • smf42smf42 Member Posts: 6
    Is the engine noise that you are talking about a high pitched squeaking noise like brakes squeaking? I get this noise when going up a hill from a stopped position. I have an '04 SR5 4X4 V6.
    The high pitched noise you hear could be a belt noise, although I don't know why you would only hear it going uphill. My serpentine belt sometimes makes noise when cold. There is a TSB out for dealers to fix the drive belt noise.
    Hallelujah! I knew I couldn't be the only one out here noticing all that wind noise. All that racket makes it really hard to enjoy the rest of the vehicle. I can only advise, buyer beware. If anyone is test driving one of these vehicles, make sure you take it on the freeway. I've been driving my new 4 Runner for a month now and the wind noise is a serious drawback. It's terrible.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    Have you tried adjusting the positions of the roof rack supports if your 4Runner is so equipped?
    Yes, I did, and I thought it helped, but I might try moving them back even further. There does seem to be a lot of noise outside the moonroof (yes, it's closed!) Most of the noise seems to be in the area of the side mirrors. They are not very aerodynamic looking (actually, the are huge) and the wind blowing by them just howls. This is with all the windows closed, mind you. That's why I am so surprised that everyone isn't noticing this. They all have the same mirrors, at least the 2004 models do. Maybe the 2003's are different.
    I am surprised as well. The 2003 and 2004 4Runners have identical mirrors. They are indeed huge, but they do provide a good view of the rear areas. I don't notice bothersome wind noise unless I am driving faster than 65mph or so (which isn't usual). The next time I drive, I'll be on the lookout for any windnoise.

Another option you have with regards to your roof cargo bars is to remove them and see if you notice any improvement. Perhaps even installing a plastic wind deflector over the moonroof may be helpful.
  • smf42smf42 Member Posts: 6
    I have a '04 SR5 4X4 V6 with the standard stereo and speakers. It seems that the driver's side front door speakers have a lower volume output than the rest of the speakers. Is this a treble and bass thing (bass on driver's side and treble on passenger's side)? or a bad speaker?
    thanks for any input.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    My 4Runner is an extremely quiet vehicle. I have no noticable wind noise. You must have much more than I do. You may try reversing the cross cross bars so the current front side faces the rear.

Sorry for the use of your name, incorrectly, alfster1
    You might have me confused with someone else....I don't have noticeable wind noise either. :)
    I, too, would characterize the new 4Runners as remarkably quiet, at least up to the 65-70 MPH range. It's hard to say anything certain without measuring instruments, though. I get no significant wind noise from the mirrors, and remember hearing that they were specially designed to be both large (for good visibility) and as quiet as possible.

As for the noise from the roof racks, there are some dots on the rails that show you where to place the crossbars if you want to reduce noise and and are free to place them where you want. I believe the dots are on the inside surface of the rails. That's the case with the '03 models anyway. It's probably covered in the manual, but I'm not sure.

Is it possible that some excess noise is coming from a radiator fan clutch that isn't disengaging properly? These vehicles do roar for 10-15 seconds after a cold start, before the fluid gets redistributed in the clutch. You can hear a definite drop-off in noise level then.
    Do those of you who don't notice wind noise -- do you have a sun roof? I can't figure out why my car is noisy and others are not....?
  • hotrod051hotrod051 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2004 V6 Sport Edition. For some time now there has been a ticking noise coming from the driver's side of the vehicle. It sounds like a fan, but is not because it continues when the fan is turned off. I brought it to Toyota and they are telling me that it is the fuel injectors, and that they are all loud and there is nothing that they can do about it. I like many others find this weird that the company would sell a car that makes abnormal noises. I have had the car to the dealer for another problem of the windshield washers not working even when it is not cold out. They again failed to fix the problem and said that nothing was wrong. Toyota Service is awful and very unaccomodating. Please let me know if anyone else has the problems with the ticking noise or the windshield washers.
  • jjenkensjjenkens Member Posts: 26
    What vehicle were you driving prior to this one? Could you just not be used to a larger vehicle with big mirrors and such? Also, do you have a wind deflector for your sunroof?
  • sacstate1sacstate1 Member Posts: 189
    Ticking Noise Coming from Driver's Area

That is indeed indicative of the new V6. A member on another board had Toyota Corp. buy back their V6 (vehicle) because of the noise. Some V6 owners complain of this noise, others say they do not have the noise. So, it seems very intermittent.

Sorry to provide you info you were not seeking.
    I do have a sunroof, but no wind noise. I have positioned my roof rack bars to just aft of the moon roof and to near the extreme rear of the roof rack. Try experimenting. I chose this positioning as it made clearing snow from the roof a bit easier.