Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• Options
    mmg1mmg1 Member Posts: 29
    bakeroid
    I have seen every color except Cassis Pearl and Blue Mirage Metallic. I'm sure you have at least seen the brochre where it seems to be a cabernet red (my favorite wine). Some dealers have the small "swatches" of the color. I chose titanium metallic to reflect the heat here in Fl. and I think it is beautiful.
    mmg1
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Mackabee:
    The two "L-shaped" things being referred to (I think) are each approximately 5"-8" long and are each located in the rear of the trunk approximately one foot on either side of the large stereo speaker hanging down from the center of the rear speaker panel and are attached (screwed in) to the rear bulkhead supporting the backs of the rear seats. They look like large coat hooks more than the letter "L". I'm curious about what they are because they seem too flimsy to be used as cargo hooks (at least in a Toyota) for the back of the rear trunk. What's their purpose? Thanks for your help.
    Regards,
    Deanie
  • Options
    Does anyone know when Tokico's coming out with struts, and suspension bushings for the 2005 Avalon?
    Deanie
  • Options
    3puttmax3puttmax Member Posts: 119
    Every time I post a picture of these "L-shaped things", it only lasts for 30 min or 1 hr, then it disappears. To the host Pat, is there some way to make the picture stick around & not go away?

Thanks to deanie for describing them in great detail. I still would like to know if they show up on all the Avalons, or just on the Limited. Any of you guys with an XL, XLS or Touring - do you also have these 2 "L-shaped-things"?

Max

• Options
    ccriderccrider Member Posts: 26
    Hey Deanie, I was able to test-drive an XLS today. Not the color I wanted but wanted to try an XLS. Are the seats a little different in the XLS and the Touring? They seemed to sit a little different.

Also, I peeked in the windows of an XLS on Sunday that I would consider a light gray, but it may have actually been a graphite. The top portion above the wood trim had the darker look, but the rest was a lighter gray. Is that how yours is as well. Just trying to figure if what I saw was a gray or graphite interior.

Thanks.
  • Options
    havalongavalonhavalongavalon Member Posts: 460
    Hi max,

Yes, the Canadian XLS also has the two L-shaped projections that you mentioned. Their length is comparable to the swing of the reclining seats, and the orientation and slightly curved shape are consistent with a role related to the seat reclining motion. I'm stumped by the intended function of the up-turned hook-like flat plastic projections at their ends, though. I can see why these would be suitable for hanging jumper cables...

havalongavalon
  • Options
    y_althaniy_althani Member Posts: 19
    Have any 1 enjoyed the full power of the JBL sound system? I mean pumbed up the volume lets say 2 the max :shades: does it sound gr8? what about the bass dose it rock the car? btw any 1 got pics of his own AVVy :) I would like 2 c it from the inside @ night to get the feeling of the dash @ night
  • Options
    justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    as i mentioned earlier, the transmission in the avalon sounds like an adaptive transmission or at least a "performance" transmission; meaning, it kicks down one or two gears in a coasting or braking situation, in order to be ready for quicker acceleration what the throttle is applied. i don't think this has anything to do with the drive by wire, it's just an example of a peformance oriented drivetrain...hey, it's got 280hp...

when motorweek did their roadtest, they pointed out some issues they had with the transmission shifting patterns. automatics are always a compromise...some people like to hold a gear longer and others like to upshift sooner``````````````````````...take your pick.
    jackg 90seville 96k
  • Options
    cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    They were tape strips applied by the dealer. I have the same gold and silver stripe on the Blue Mirage and it looks great. I think that it sets off the entire car. However, as with all such things this is just my personal opinion.
  • Options
    cafpafcafpaf Member Posts: 65
    I really like the gold stripe best. It was really two stripes. On thicker one on top (maybe 1/4") and a smaller one on bottom (maybe 1/8"). Both strips tied together at the end on the front fender and are seperated by just 1/8" or so. Also the stripe goes all the way around the back and across the trunk. I really like it on my car.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The trouble is not in your receiver ... The links you are using to one yahoo server get redirected to a non-existent yahoo server. That's happening on their end and I can't understand what it is that might be going on. As I've said, I did see your first picture right after you posted it, so I know it worked.

Can you find some other place than yahoo to have the picture hosted? Does your ISP provide any webspace? I think there are still some free hosting sites around, but I don't know what they are - Google could help you here.

I don't know what is going on with that yahoo link - it makes no sense.
  • Options
    njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    I agree with you. Never let a dealer dis-assemble, then re-assemble your dash components in hope of silencing a noise in which the origin is unknown.
    Fortunately it will be getting warmer and I won't have to put up with it until the Fall.
    Now I just have to contend with the un-occupied passenger seat belt knocking around.
    But I just leave the seat belt buckled in... invisible passenger?
  • Options
    njnynjny Member Posts: 34
    "Valet Parking Tips"
    I park in a garage on a daily basis and surrender my key-fob to the attendant.
    Here's a few tips:
    1st: Make sure you tell them the side mirrors do not fold-in, that's what most attendants do once they park the cars so they can cram them together.

2nd: Take the key out of the remote and bring it with you, also lock your trunk with the button in the glove box, then lock the glove box and the rear-seat pass thru this will keep them out of the glove box and trunk.

3rd: Instruct the Attendant on the Start Button.

4th: Tip them before they take the vehicle and make note of the attendant's face. They'll tend to take better care of the vehicle if you tip them first!
    You may even get a prime spot behind that Porsche Carrera 4S Cabriolet!
  • Options
    Now I just have to contend with the un-occupied passenger seat belt knocking around.
    But I just leave the seat belt buckled in... invisible passenger?

njny, try this: move the passenger seat belt pillar anchor to the top of its range. And straighten out the belt, so the buckle is parallel to the side of the car. This keeps the buckle from hitting the pillar. Previously posted. Works well in the West.,,

havalongavalon
  • Options
    avalonbobavalonbob Member Posts: 35
    This exact same thing happens on both my Toyota Sequoia and the Avalon. When a passenger exits the vehicle, if the buckle doesn't return to it's "normal" position (hanging parallel between the side of the seat and the door) it rattles. If you twist it back into position, it makes no noise at all...at least on both of my vehicles. I guess I was trained for this on the Sequoia because now I just instinctively check the buckle when a passenger exits either vehicle.
  • Options
    When doing a demo of the stereo for a friend, I kept turning the stereo up (it still sounded crystal clear but LOUD!) and eventually (I believe after volume level 63) the display said "Max Volume" or something like that so I immediately turned it down. It did not damage anything as best that I can tell.

Personally, I think the stereo is phenomenal. Every stereo that I have ever owned (car or home) sounds really good for some types of music but is kind of lacking for others. Pretty much everything I have played on this one (rock, jazz, pop, electronic, vocal...no rap or country though) sounds outstanding. The overall balance of the sound is great and the imaging is superb.

Regarding the bass...I believe the bass is very good. Very deep with a good punch...not muddy at all. However, it's not the same kind of bass that your going to get from twin 36 inch woofers that take up the whole trunk and break your neighbor's windows. For my tastes, however, it's just right.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    ryandseryandse Member Posts: 51
    Very cool ... I look forward to demoing it myself.

By the way, I believe the JBL Synthesis system includes a sub-woofer. Would anyone, by any chance, know *where* in the car that this sub-woofer happens to be located?
  • Options
    It's mounted in the rear deck facing upward. Here's a link that describes the system:

http://www.toyotajbl.com
  • Options
    mexcarmexcar Member Posts: 21
    Thanks paul_p and mackabee, for the input. Thinking I'll probably stick with the XL and see if my dealer can just install the leather steering/shift.
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    " It is very pretty, though, and I am about to get the gold package put on it."

Would you mind sharing how much you are paying for the Gold package and what is included?

I've gotten quotes of 225 installed and 169 & 175 not installed. Thanks.

MikeS.
  • Options
    very neat, thanks for the link!
  • Options
    just__mejust__me Member Posts: 508
    I just made the comparison on the Toyota site, the Avalon to the Lexus GS430. The MSRP on the Lexus is $47,975 compared to $30,800 for the Avalon. Everything space wise in the interior is smaller in the Lexus, gas consumption MPG you get less bang for your buck, the turning circle in the Avalon is less etc. etc. We have a bargain and a great car. The smaller specifications below are for the Lexus. I know the Lexus is a V8, but so what, how much faster can you legally go anyway. It's crazy to pay almost 18 grand more in my book just for a name plate when reliability is practically the same. Well folks that's what makes the economy work. Different strokes for different folks. I always thought the interior in the Lexus was bigger on the GS430, I was wrong.
    Front Headroom 38.8 in. Lexus-37.6 in.
    Rear Headroom 37.5 in. Lexus-36.4 in.
    Front Shoulder Room 59.4 in. Lexus-57.7 in.
    Rear Shoulder Room 58.2 in. Lexus-56.6 in.
    Front Hip Room 55.8 in. Lexus-55 in.
    Rear Hip Room 56.2 in. Lexus-56.1 in.
    Rear Leg Room 40.9 in. Lexus-34.3 in.
    MPG. City Avalon-22 mpg. Lexus-18 mpg.
    Highway Avalon- 31 mpg. Lexus-23 mpg.
    Range in Miles Toyota
    Avalon versus GS 430
    City Avalon-407 mi. Lexus-356 mi.
    Highway Avalon-574 mi. Lexus-455 mi.
    So for 18 grand less you can go further with our Avalon.
  • Options
    I'm trying a new web photo hosting site, so let's see if this picture comes out.

I just had my Limited wheels chromed. I would have liked a more radical wheel, but the wife wouldn't allow that, so we compromised by chroming the standard wheels. At least I know I've got standard Toyota wheel size & offset. We also chromed the wheels on our 2000 Avalon XLS, and they've always looked great. Brake dust does not adhere to the chromed wheels on the old car, hopefully that will be true with the new one.

Max

• Options
    See message 5265
  • Options
    3puttmax, The image didn't come up. Can I ask what the cost was to chrome the 05 wheels, and who does that kind of work? Thanks.
  • Options
    Well, looks like this photo host doesn't work either (tripod.com). When I previewed the photo, it showed up fine. When I post the message (5266), the photo doesn't show up.

Anybody know of a free photo posting site that DOES work with this forum?

Max
  • Options
    That picture is there big as life for me.
  • Options
    just me-

One more try to get image up.

Wheels cost me $700, in exchange for my wheels. Includes cost of wheels, chrome plated center insert, balancing and taxes. Stayed with standard 17 inch size. Had it done by Service Tire Co. in Van Nuys, Ca.

I'm sure lots of wheel/tire places can have this done. You might also ask a Toyota dealer where they get it done, since many dealers offer chromed wheels. My dealer offered chromed wheels for around $1000. So - deal directly with the wheel/tire place, not the dealer, and save some bucks.

Max

• Options
    Pat how come you can see the picture when I can't.
  • Options
    agentagent Member Posts: 56
    I can see them both and it looks GREAT!!!!
  • Options
    Again here's photo of chromed Limited wheel. Trying photobucket.com now.

The preview works, but that may not mean anything.

Max

• Options
  • Options
    Congrats, 3puttmax -- you'v donnit!

Really nice looking wheels, too!

havalongavalon
  • Options
    You did it, beautiful job. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Now that I've got photos working, let me show you a couple of things unique about my Limited. The chrome wheels were shown in post 5275.

The photos below show the WeatherTech trunk cargo liner, purchased from MacNeil Auto Products ($122 with shipping), and the Terk XMICRO small XM antenna. The Terk XMICRO is located inside the car, just under the windshield, at the right end of the defroster vents. The quarter on the dash shows the antenna's size. This has been discussed in earlier posts (4682 & 4718 among others).

Max

• Options
    tunintunin Member Posts: 5
    I used them to stand up small suit cases instead of laying them down. I don't know if thats what there for.
  • Options
    chipmunk47chipmunk47 Member Posts: 39
    I noticed them after reading about them in the Forum. I have no idea what they are for either.
    I also noticed that NONE of the Toyota dealer ads in the newspapers advertise Avalons. I have only seen 4 others since I got mine on April 25. :)
  • Options
    loudspeaker76loudspeaker76 Member Posts: 35
    Oh MAN!

Now I'm drooling again after THAT description. I know the system is good after that test drive, but I didn't try the whole volume range figuring the poor sales guy would flip!

BTW, those who need two 36" woofers in their trunk just need to get a massage chair! It will do about the same, but save your hearing.

You wouldn't be interested in loaning me your Avalon for a moment would you avalonbob?

:)

-LoUdSpEaKeR
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Not only that but they also like to take the car for a spin since now they know how the smart key operates!! :blush:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Well folks, I found out that our salesperson had it wrong. I finally got the spec sheet on the 2005 Avalon XL we've agreed to buy, and there is no JBL stereo present - only the 6-disc CD changer option, as I suspected.

I'm posting other details about price, etc. in the Avalon Prices Paid and Buying Experiences forum to stay on-topic.
  • Options
    rodc2rodc2 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the photos. Your XM antenna size, location, and unobtrusive mounting sure beats the heck out of the "approved" Toyota antenna and mounting location. You convinced me that this is the best way to go.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I'm not much of a chrome wheel fan but these look great! Can we see a picture of the whole car with them?
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    I'm not much of a chrome wheel fan but these look great! Can we see a picture of the whole car with them?

Ask and ye shall receive.

Max

• Options
    paul_ppaul_p Member Posts: 271
    Beautiful car, Max!
  • Options
    just me:

I have to agree this is a very striking comparison. But, let's face it: the GS 430 is a sports car and the Avalon, as agile as it is: is not. As I have seen both in person, this is quite clear. So, while this is a valid comparison: a more meaningful comparison would be between the Avalon 2005 Limited and the LS 430 (Lexus' flagship sedan).

Now, it turns out that the LS does have quite a few perks that the Avalon Limited doesn't have. That being said I recommend doing a comparison check on the two, because I found that the Avalon Limited won in a number of categories (including dimensions, MPG, and weight).

Whether the Avalon gives the LS a run for its money is debatable, but the fact that Avalon and LS are as comparable as they are, speaks volumes of how much the Avalon Limited is a true luxury automobile. Frankly, I find it pretty funny that Toyota has managed to build a car so good that it leap-frogs over nearly the entire product line of their luxury division.
  • Options
    Wow, that does look great. Same here ... I am not a huge fan of chrome myself. Honestly though, I will probably stick with getting the non-chrome wheels.

By the way: I have to point out that I really do think that the Phantom Grey color is the best for the Avalon. It is just a natural fit. Of course, this is arguably in the eye of the beholder ... but, I'm definitely getting mine in this color!
  • Options
    pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Do I understand correctly that Service Tire bought Avalon LTD wheels, chromed them, and swapped for yours? Wouldn't tie up your car that way. they do look very nice. I bought different factory wheels for my 95 Nissan when I bought it, as I didn't like the spiral effect on the originals. Cost $600, but if you keep the car long enough, as I have, upgrading the wheels, like you have done, is definitely worth it.
  • Options
    Hi:
    Others have posted a fix for the rattling belt, but I'll repeat it.
    make sure the belt is not twisted, then adjust the anchor mounting point on the pillar next to the passenger seat to its highest point, and voilla! Problem solved.
    Rgards,
    Deanie
  • Options
    Ok Ryandse, here is the comparison this time The Avalon Limited to the LS 2005 Lexus. Now you see a difference of about $23,000 bucks. The Avalon is still larger in the interior, and much better MPG. Some standard items with the Limited and an option for the Lexus meaning more money. So again, I will keep the $23 thousand and can still buy a Prius as a second car for that or bank it and let it earn some money. Name plate ain't for me, no show or flaunting, yet same reliability from the same Toyota company, and as I said you can keep the V8, you can legally only go so fast, and who needs the extra 300 lbs to carry around. Cost more to maintain in the service department. So once again we have a great car and and I believe a better deal money wise. Thanks Ryandse.
    MSRP Avalon-$33,540 Lexus-$56,225

Driver Seat Heated Avalon-Standard Lexus-Optional
    Driver Seat Ventilated Avalon-Standard Lexus-Not Available
    Passenger Seat Heated Avalon-Standard Lexus-Optional
    Passenger Seat Ventilated Avalon-Standard Lexus-Not Available

Cargo Nets- Avalon-Standard Lexus-Optional
    Total Number of Speakers Avalon-12 Lexus- 7
    Watts Avalon-360 Lexus-178

City Avalon-22 mpg. Lexus-18 mpg.
    Highway Avalon-31 mpg. Lexus-25 mpg.

Range in Miles Toyota
    City Avalon-407 mi. Lexus400 mi.
    Highway Avalon-574 mi. Lexus- 555 mi.

Front Headroom Avalon-38.8 in. Lexus-38.1 in.
    Front Shoulder Room Avalon-59.4 in. Lexus-58.3 in.
    Rear Leg Room Avalon-40.9 in. Lexus-37.6 in.

Width Avalon- 72.8 in. Lexus-72 in.
    Weight Avalon-3600 lbs. Lexus-3990 lbs.
  • Options
    You can borrow my car anytime as long as you don't turn the stereo up as loud as I did...you might damage your ears or, more importantly, my speakers. :)

Although I do like to crank it up a little bit from time to time, the stereo sounds excellent even at low to moderate volumes. You don't have to push it very hard to get good sound and reasonable bass. You don't realize how loud the stereo is until you have other people in the car with you. I rarely turn it up above 8 or 10 when other people are in the car (63 being the max as I found out during my little demonstration) and you can still hear all of the details of the music. When I'm by myself I usually have it in the 30 to 45 range depending on the source music and my mood.