Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005-2007 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• dcalliesdcallies Member Posts: 33
    He said it happened to him when he drove it the other day but he forgot to tell me. So if any of you get in and try to start your car and it doesn't start, just get out, lock it and start over again. Strange!

Sounds like Microsoft is involved with this problem, remember windows 98 ?

Sorry couldn't resist being an IT tech
  • dmorcosdmorcos Member Posts: 22
    "IMHO if your car downshifts going up a hill you probably approached the hill too slow to climb it and the car compensated by down shifting. You did that yourself when you drove a manual, correct?."

limiteddriver

The incline was about 4 to 6 deg. I have been doing about 45 mph constant when the shuddering happened. It felt just like it would if you were going up a hill with too high a gear. I will try to duplicate and report. ;)
  • kinzuakinzua Member Posts: 44
    Anyone else run into this problem. My Limited, to be delivered next week, was ordered W/XM radio. When the sheet came down with VIN it included XM radio. Just 2 days ago the radio was delisted and the price reduced $449. I tried searching other dealer sites and find that The XM is no longer and option for the Avalon. Called my sales rep and he has no idea why the XM was delisted, but will take care of it. Hope I'll be a happy camper! :)
  • gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    What " needs to be worked out" is a decision we all have to make when we buy a new car. For me that didn't amount to anything important. While the older Avalon was perfect for many buyers I would have never purchased it.
  • clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    I'm tired of waiting. When can we order the 'improved' '06 Avalon?
  • southmansouthman Member Posts: 2
    i would like to know myself my wife is debating on the avalon limited but with most dealers wanting msrp here in the south she may wait.
  • southmansouthman Member Posts: 2
    Try to find a blizzard pearl limited in ms, have not had any luck looks like we will have to go out of state maby florida, anybody know where they are.
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    in the southeast is on back-order. Somebody messed up down here!!!! Instead of holding the vehicles for the parts the XM radio option has been deleted and can be installed by the dealer when available again or you can go aftermarket.
  • dydiddydydiddy Member Posts: 3
    I ordered a blizzard pearl limited on March 9, 2005. I will finally receive delivery on June 1, 2005. This car and color is in extremely high demand! I received word from the dealer in mid April that my car was about to be delivered only to find out that it was an XLS coming in instead of the Limited that I ordered. I think that the dealer made a mistake on the initial order because they tried to talk me into taking the XLS. I held firm and insisted that the deliver exactly what I ordered back in March. My dealer did help me out by loaning me a little Scion free of charge until the Limited was delivered. I had presold my 2000 Avalon XLS to a colleague who had already paid me for it. After driving the little Scion for a month and a half, I can't wait to stretch out and enjoy the room and smooth ride of my new Limited.

dydiddy - Minneapolis, MN :)
  • viking644viking644 Member Posts: 23
    southman,

I'm in CA and having the same problem. My local dealership has some XLS's and Touring models in stock, but Limited, in any color, is an order only item. I did get to look first hand at a white one on site and being delivered. I was very impressive. I'm told that the dealer can look at their allocation and "reserve" a unit for me with a modest retainer.

I'm getting quoted around $35,000 for a Limited with an MSRP of 38,100. Now I just have to off load my 04' BMW 325i SMG as the dealer wants to pay $2,500 under what Edmunds/KBB says trade in value should be. Yes, I know it's a numbers game...give a little, take a little.
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    Just signed up. I did have side moldings installed on my blizzard white limited ( to reduce the parking lot dings). Took it to a detail/body shop and they did a pretty good job in matching the color. Also installed mud flaps to protect the paint behind the front & rear wheels. Mileage- I'm averaging between 26-31 hwy using 91-92 octane. My wife followed me (I was driving the limited) in our 96 Avalon for 1100 miles and I consistently put less fuel in the new limited than in the 96 XLS.
    Oil filter- I change my own oil/filter but wasn't expecting the multi-step process to get at the element. The filter instructions refer to a special tool- anyone out there change the filter yet that can provide some tips? Sure miss the old screw on-off cartridge! I have the laser cruise control and the car automatically downshifts/accelerates agressively when increasing speed and on long trips it has to reduce mileage- any comments?
  • lucky6lucky6 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I am thinking about buying a 2005 avalon xls with the options vehicle stability control traction control and brake assist withn heated seats and carpeted floor mats. Any idea of what others paid? I was quoted a price of $31,100 any good or can I do better? I am in no rush for the car. Thanks in advance
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    I noticed that there are no weights on the wheels. Are they just static balanaced with weights glued or otherwises stuck on the inside of the wheel? Any owner noticed weights on their wheels? I prefer the weights on the inside since when they are hammered on and the position changes, the wheels are scratched where the old weights were previously. Any thoughts?
  • wynwyn Member Posts: 32
    I paid $31861.19 including 3% NC tax, tag transfer, etc...OTD for 2005 XLS in early April. Only options were Avalon carpeted mats, skid control, matching mudflaps, and JBL sound.
  • rhackrhack Member Posts: 24
    Ditto here, picked up my Limited friday with XM deleted. Dealer quoted me $486 to order and install. Called Bestbuy,they told they didn't have anything that would work, I had to get from Toyota Dealer, don't think he knew what he was talking about. Am going to check around locally and on the internet. Have found a couple of sites. http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=xmdirectam

http://toyota.autowebaccessories.com/store/toyota-avalon-accessories-cat385_1207.php

Welcome feedback.
  • avalonbobavalonbob Member Posts: 35
    This is a follow-up from my original post 5979

I took the car in for my 3000 mile oil change and was going to get this checked out. On the way there, I could not duplicate the problem. I mentioned the issue to the service manager and said that I couldn't duplicate the problem any more. He said they would check it out anyway just to see if they could find anything wrong. They didn't find anything wrong and he said there was a service bulletin that indicated that a sulphur smell can occur during the break-in period. I tried again to produce the problem after the oil change and could not. Since the issue appears to have gone away, I guess that it was just related to the break-in period. Thanks for your feedback. I'll provide an update if this issue resurfaces.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi and welcome!

The best place for you to research what others are paying for the new Avalon is the discussion at this link: Toyota Avalon: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

Hope this helps - keep us posted!
  • swardsward Member Posts: 20
    RE: "Ditto here, picked up my Limited friday with XM deleted. Dealer quoted me $486 to order and install. Called Bestbuy,they told they didn't have anything that would work, I had to get from Toyota Dealer, don't think he knew what he was talking about. Am going to check around locally and on the internet. Have found a couple of sites."

Hey rhack,

Since you have a Limited, you have the JBL sound system. The Toyota (Pioneer) XM receiver is designed to work only with the JBL head unit. It will display through and be controlled by the head unit and steering wheel controls in a fully integrated fashion. Any other XM unit will have its own control panel. The Toyota/Pioneer XM unit is available through your dealer as a part, and can be installed by anybody. There is also a harness that needs to be plugged in between the JBL head unit and its feed harness.

If you will do a search on this forum for "XM", you'll find details in prior posts. "3puttmax" had a nice installation done with the Toyota unit and a very unobtrusive Terk antenna on the dash.

sward ;)
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Lucky6:
    In early April I bought a Phantom Gray Pearl XLS w/vsc, JBL 12-speaker/6-cd changer stereo, glass breakage sensor, carpeted floor/trunk mats, wheel locks for $30,557, which also included the mandatory $540 or $590 delivery charge, and an approx $500 advertising charge. This price did not include sales tax (5% here in MD) or a $100 bogus dealer "processing fee" or approx $200 for mandatory (in MD) two-year DMV registration fee.

My total was $32,399.84 out the door and in my driveway. With strong bargaining and a dealer with an overstock of Avalons, you might be able to do better than my deal by as much as $500 or so. Unless you are in Florida, your offer of $31,100 seems high (assuming it doesn't include sales tax). Also, if you belong to a credit union or are employed by a medium to large company, you may be eligible to purchase your Avalon through a buying agency which would give you a pre-negotiated (and very favorable) price. Good luck.
    Regards,
    Deanie
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "Oil filter- I change my own oil/filter but wasn't expecting the multi-step process to get at the element. The filter instructions refer to a special tool- anyone out there change the filter yet that can provide some tips? Sure miss the old screw on-off cartridge!

I have the laser cruise control and the car automatically downshifts/accelerates agressively when increasing speed and on long trips it has to reduce mileage- any comments? "

Retired7, I gently used a pair of channel lock pliers on the cannister to start screwing it off. A "special tool" wasn't really required. This type filter IS harder to deal with and Toyota charges you more for it. And they say they went this route to be better for the enviroment. If you do you're own filter changes check out www.toyotapartsworld.com for filters. I find that they have the best combination of price and S&H.

As to the laser cruise I don't find that it accelerates agressively and only deaccelerates agressively when forced to by another vehicle that cuts sharply in front of you. The LC does take a bit to get used too.

MikeS.
  • harehare Member Posts: 3
    05 LIMITED, SMELLS LIKE ROTTON EGGS, OR OCEAN AT LOW TIDE. MY WIFE THINKS IT'S MAKING HER SICK
  • dissanayakedissanayake Member Posts: 3
    Two weeks old 2005 Avelon limited with 185 miles. It had 10 miles on the odometer when I bought it. It was smooth and started without any problems about half a mile on the road it gave a knocking sensation for about 5 seconds and stopped on the road. Before stopping it lost steering power and brake power. I was lucky not to get in to an accident Car was driving at about 35 miles/hr on auto mode at that time. I had to tow the car to the dealer. They are yet to look in to the car. Do you know what could cause this. I feel uncomfortable with this car after going through the above. What can I do?
  • sorrydogsorrydog Member Posts: 2
    Hi Lucky, I feel lucky too, I just bought my beautiful Avalon yesterday(silver Pine)
    XLS and paid 30,800 plus taxes and processing fee, with the options you mention above. The dealers are not budging on this car. I also got financing at the credit union at 4.65%. Dealer was a lot higher. Just no incentives right now.

Good Luck...I also own a 98 Avalon.
  • sorrydogsorrydog Member Posts: 2
    I would like to ask someone how does the instrument panel/radio/heater and fans light up for the evening. Last night we could not see them in the dark? I found the turn dial to make the dash dark or light but that did not change the heating area, and radio settings.

Thank you.
    Sorrydog
  • tunintunin Member Posts: 5
    Hope the people in this forum don get on your case like they did in past post when someone posts a problem. Sorry to hear you have had this happen. Good thing no got hurt. Good luck.
  • justgreat47justgreat47 Member Posts: 100
    one feature that would aid in the driving experience for an automatic transmission would be a gear selector indicator...the actual gear that the tranmission is in, this would help in knowing how much throttle to apply under different circucmstances...going up a slight grade with light throttle application in top gear will more than likely cause a downshift as you go up the grade. there's no way to avoid this unless you know what gear you're in.

it's important to remember that an automatic is a compromise between not having to shift gears and the downside of not knowing what gear you're in...BUT...there is a solution: with time, and some patience and a keen ear and butt, you can learn when your transmission will shift...both speed and rpm's...this will aid you in knowing when the transmission will downshift and under what conditions.

without "learning" when your transmission shifts then the driving experience will be diminished, imo. jackg 90seville 97k
  • prakramaprakrama Member Posts: 14
    I bought a Silver Pine Mica XLS too . Paid 31500 ( Inclusive of 7% Tax and all other charges)
    + Carpet Mats/Trunk Mats + Window Tinting
  • hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    After owning my Blizzard White Limited for three months and 2200 miles, I offer the following comments. I have owned 22 cars in my lifetime. During the past ten years I have owned the following new cars: 95 Volvo 960, 98 Ford Expedition, 99 Acura TL, 2000 Cadillac DeVille, 03 Acura MDX and now the 05 Avalon. I am happy to say that I have finally found a car that I really like. The 95 Volvo and 2000 DeVille were so unreliable that I could hardly wait to get rid of them.

My opinion of the 05 Avalon is as follows. A really great car, very quiet, powerful, comfortable and stylish. I am getting approx. 24 MPG doing suburban/city driving. I use only premium gas. I really do like the laser cruise control, XM radio, driver's seat extension and strong acceleration I would not purchase the remote start again it doesn't work all that well. The navigation system is also of limited use. If you stray from large metro. areas there is no coverage. I also have the uneven exhausts.
    \
    Overall, I consider this to be the best automobile that I have ever owned. One final comment, I did experience a couple of erratic shifts during the first few hundred miles but this has not occurred for quiet some time. I expect that the computer has adjusted itself to my driving habits and has programed itself accordingly. :):)

ri
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    My channel locks were not big enough to remove the oil filter housing. So I went to my auto parts store and bought an adjustable import car filter wrench. Adjustable from 63.5 to 79.4 mm. It works ok.
  • johnijohni Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone have any suggestions on where to replace the windshield?

While driving to church this morning, something hit the windshield. I now have a crack that extends about 12 inches in a curved L and looks like it's getting longer. My initial thought was to call my insurance company to have them arrange to replace it and pay the deductible. However, the Limited has a special sound reducing windshield that the typical windshield repair shop probably wouldn't have. The dealer may be the only one that can get this windshield. Not sure if there is anything else special about this windshield.
  • bakeroidbakeroid Member Posts: 39
    lucky6
    Please see post #5913.

Bakeroid
    southman,

Please see post #5913.

Bakeroid
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Hutch: I'm seriously thinking of buying an Avalon Limited most likely next year.

Just curious--how old are you?
    What don't you like about the remote start? Do you think an aftermarket one would be better than the factory one?

Is the Nav easy enough to program? I have one in my 300M and it's not that difficult to do once you get used to it--takes maybe 90 seconds to input an address--sometimes its a bit slower as it accesses the data on the disc.

I believe all dvd nav systems use similar software and have similar coverage areas. I live in Boston and hardly ever have a problem with coverage and I travel throughout Eastern Massachusetts in my work. I use the Nav in my 300M every day and love it. Couldn't do without it now.
  • gschultz3gschultz3 Member Posts: 134
    Surprised that you do not have coverage outside of metro ares with your Nav system. I have had cars with or used nav systems in at least 8 different cars in the past 10 years and never experienced any problems. Must have something to do with the area of the country where you are driving?

Ditto for the erratic shifts. My Infinitis had simular issues off and on ..... same kind of computer control.

I have had a Volvo V70, Infiniti G35 & FX45, Nissan 350Z, Cadillac Seville, Volvo 960, Audi A6 Wagon and a Lincoln Town Car, and my Avalon LTD is also the best car I have owned in the past ten years. My Volvo's were great cars but the 960 had to have the transmission replaced under warranty. My Cadillac was a constant problem. The Audi was really nice but under powered. I still have the 350Z but it is only good for smooth roads in the summer.
  • garry4garry4 Member Posts: 11
    I have found the Invoice Price for the 05 Avalon XLS by looking at Edmunds and the Kelley Blue Book. My local dealer tells me that I should add approximately $1,000 to this amount to get the "real" invoice price. The dealer says that the additional $1,000 is a charge (distribution or middleman charge) that the dealer pays Gulf States to get the cars in southwestern states. I thought this was covered in the transportation/delivery charge that is listed on the MSRP.

Does anyone know if this Gulf States charge is for real or it is fabricated? I am trying to determine the correct invoice price before making an offer to buy the car.
  • johndjrjohndjr Member Posts: 80
    Zupra and others,
    I'll put my two cents in here.
    As for color, it's like picking a wife--what is beautiful to you may be ugly to others and the reverse is true. If it is beautiful to you, who the hell cares what others think.
    I think black in all cars makes it look regal and classic. But keeping it clean is another matter. We selected the desert Sand Mica because we live at the end of a dirt road. The dirt is very light colored tan. We have tried ivory colored cars and it helped, except they had black bumpers and by time we got to a paved road, the black was almost tan. So we get a car color close to the color of the dust here.
    As to the '05 Avalon, we got the color I mentioned and the Limited. My wife and I looked at and test drove the Jaguar and the Lexus 330, 300 and 430. She eliminated the Jag, the Lexus 330 and 300. The 430 she liked. When I asked her if she would feel right driving a 64K car on our dirt road, she agreed that it wouldn't be practical. We looked at and drove the Avalon Limited and they had the color we wanted so that is what we got. Neither of us have regretted our decision. We like the car and all of the bells and whistles that are on it. So you will know where we are coming from, our cars over the past 10 or 20 years have been a Cadillac, 4 MB and a Volvo S80. This Avalon is probably the most all around car that pleases us the most. The Caddy was a dog, the MB 240 was as dependable as a pig iron ingot, the MB 190 was a car in miniature, the MB 300 ( a four door hot rod) was very good but a fortune to keep it up, the MB 320 was the same as the 300. The Volvo S80 was very comfortable car to drive and very good on mileage per gallon but a bear to keep the maintenance up.
    We are both pleased with the Avalon Limited.
    Now, if she will just get use to the fact that she doesn't; need the 'key' in her hand to start it, she will have made a major step forward in technology.
    After a little over 1K miles in our Avalon, we are very pleased with the Avalon 05 limited. We had looked at an Avalon in 99 when we bought the Volvo. We did not like the 'amenities' and finish of the insides of the '99 Avalon. The '05 has corrected what we did not like in the '99.
    I might be old in years (75) but I'm still young at heart. The black is beautiful, but in our case, the desert sand is more practical.
    Have a drink to the ability to have a choice.
    garry4,

Southeast Toyota adds a $699 "smoke and mirrors" charge to all new Toyotas. It thoretically includes security window etching (the Florida Attorney is currently investigating this over-priced rip-off), a "protective coat" on the paint, undercoating (just what you need in the south), and a couple other equally useless extras. If you live in Florida and want to avoid this rip-off, please see posting #5913.

Bakeroid
  • garry4garry4 Member Posts: 11
    Bakeroid,

Thanks for the information. The "smoke and mirrors" charge will be explained to me tomorrow at the dealership. I have always bought cars for a specific dollar amount above invoice price, but we have a dispute over the "invoice price."

garry4
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    Only let a Toyota dealership do this repair. In many cases I would be neutral, but given the Limited has a unique windshield, I would bring it back to the dealership and have the windshield replaced with an original OEM. Let us know how you make out. Regards: Dan
  • dan41dan41 Member Posts: 182
    One of the main reasons I bought a New Black Lexus GS 300 was because it was both beautiful and rich looking. The reason I SOLD my Lexus is because I couldn't keep it clean. That was my first and last black car.
    I believe the $699 Southeastern Toyota "Preparation Fee" might be what is listed as "ToyoGuard" in my area and includes undercoating, fabric protector, finish protector, etc..Some vehicles come through without it and some NC dealers seem to avoid it entirely. My dealer has deleted it from vehicles before they reach "port" for me on several occasions since I will not accept it even at no cost after dealing with the sticky overspray in the engine compartment and on wheels from the undercoating in the past.
  • jordan7jordan7 Member Posts: 77
    Several days ago I asked if any Limited owners or otherwise had weights on their wheels for balancing the tires. My Limited does not. Are the weights stuck on the inside of the wheels for static balancing or are the tires just not balanced? To date I have not had any comments???
    My XLS has weights on the inside of the wheels---none on the outside.
  • retired7retired7 Member Posts: 133
    I had the dealer install the 24Kgold package on my 05 white limited. It consisted of replacing the chrome AVALON, LIMITED, TOYOTA on trunk + toyota emblems on trunk, grill and wheels. Cost= $595 inc installation. Be careful not to wax emblems because gold will come off. Also, had a detailer add gold colored pinstriping down both sides and it looks great. I installed black mud flaps ($80 for four mudflaps from dealer-comes in black only), gives it the cruiser looks. Thanks for info on filter element- will proceed to change. Manual calls for 5W-30 weight engine oil (I use Castrol brand engine oil) anybody try 10W-30? Don 't think it affects warranty...

GodFthr
  • angeange Member Posts: 158
    I am still waiting for my Limited ordered on 2-18-05, but I have test driven an 05, and looked at quite a few later Avalon models.The seat complaint, I believe is related to stiching quality of the leather panels. The older models have smaller panels in the cars I have seen and they have perfect stiching and no wrinkles.The leather is streched perfectly and stiched perfectly. The 05 Avalons I have seen have a number of seams where the leather is overlaping, resulting in unslightly seams. I am sure if a good seamstress took the time the seats could be perfectly stiched. I suggest anyone having doubts about the seats, check for yourself. I agree with the seat quailty issue, but I bought this car because it has more going for it than anything out there. The Limited is a bargain with all of the specialty features. Ange1 P.E.
  • hutch34hutch34 Member Posts: 34
    Easyrider300m
    I am 71 years young. My main complaint with the remote start is the range. I park my car in a detached garage and the remote will not work at that distance. I have no experience with aftermarket units.

This is my first nav system so I am just learning. I live in the tidewater Virginia area and do not use it locally as I'm familiar with the area. I am planning a trip to Ashville, NC next week and had planned to use it there but the manual doesn't show that area as being served. I will try to use it when I get there. :)
  • lntlnt Member Posts: 192
    I just went out and looked at my wheels. They don't have weights on the outside either. I mentioned it to my husband and he said, "They are probably on the inside - most fancy cars have them on the inside."
  • joedbobjoedbob Member Posts: 27
    I checked my Limited for wheel weights today and found that 3 wheels had them attached to the inside of the rims. They are very flat and and very hard to see at first glance.

Love my Avalon so far after 2000 miles. Transmission is very smooth shifting during all phases of normal driving, but it is very aggressive when shifting up or down in laser cruise mode. The RPM's jump way up when resuming speed or it brakes much harder than necessary when slowing down. This is very annoying and seems like it should be able to do both much smooooother. I have turned to using normal cruise control most of the time instead. A software fix, maybe? :)
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    As I mentioned, I have a nav in my 2000 300M and have no problems with it or its coverage.
    My nav covers all of the United States and parts of Canada. Does the Toyota nav also cover that area?

From what I have heard about the laser cruise control, I think I may just avoid that option. What I like about the remote start is that you just use your car remote to start the car instead of having a second remote. My car would be parked about 20 feet from my house , so I would be able to start it through window on those cold winter days.
    I just wonder if an aftermarket remote would have a greater range.

What kind of security system comes standard in the Avalon Limited. My 300M has a chip in the key that I start the car with and the car can't be started by jumping wires as it needs the signal from the chip in the key before it will start. Does the Av have this type of security? Does it use an alarm or just beep the horn and flash the lights if someone tries to enter the car without a key?

The Camry is high on the list of stolen vehicles. I would hope that the Av, with less popularity, would be lower on the theft list which would keep the insurance more reasonable.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    There are often some errors and missed areas in map data. The original poster probably found an unmapped or out of date map near where he lives and assumed that all areas outside major cities are like that. Most manufacturers are getting their maps data from the same vendor, so the coverage is usually the same. Just a different interface, graphics and hardware on different cars.

Very popular cars are high on theft lists because there is a demand for used parts. On the Camrys and other cars, it is actually the older models that are in the most demand be car thieves.
    Cars can be stolen by towing regardless of anti theft devices that prevent the car from being hot-wired and driven off. Just avoid high crime/theft areas and get insurance.