Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo XC90 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Thanks guys. I don't have the third row. Should I have still gotten a cargo cover?
  • Options
    lev_berkovichlev_berkovich Member Posts: 858
    Yes,
    Go back to the dealer and complain.
  • Options
    Just spoke to the dealer again. He was adamant that they no longer supply the cargo cover with the new XC90's (2 row versions at least).
  • Options
    1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    You may be correct, though Volvomax can answer for certain. I recall reading on another forum where the covers were not being provided due to the complaints from some customers regards to squeaks. I have not had this problem, but I don't know why this would cause them to discontinue including them in the price of the car.
    I know when we looked at other SUV's Acura charged extra for the cover, but most domestic manufacturers included it.
  • Options
    dmb2004dmb2004 Member Posts: 6
    The dealer replaced the Rear Entertainment System - working great now
  • Options
    Lev: Who is Volvomax?
  • Options
    Volvomax (Max) is one of the gurus (and I am completely non-sarcastic) of the Volvo-related boards. He works at the Volvo dealership in Arizona (as far as I understand) and for most parts knows well what he is talking about, and also has a valuable insider's information that he shares, when it's appropriate with the rest of us.
    I happend to have some disagreements with him, but do respect his opinion and would consider him as one of the most reliable sources here.
  • Options
    rico1rico1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, would appreciate your feedback on the 04 after you have say 20000 miles...or anyone who has an 04xc90 with at least 20K miles. Am interested in service problems. I had an 03 xc90 and am trading it in for an 04. The 03 had numerous issues including tire ware, shocks, bad rear sensors to name a few. Volvo took care of the issues.

Thanks
    Rico1
  • Options
    Rico,
    If all of your problems have been solved, I would not trade for another car. Statistically, the possibility for the additional failure is greatly reduced now.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I disagree with Lev; if you are getting a decent deal I'd trade the 03 for the 04. In my (albeit statistically insignificant) research, I have found far more complaints regarding the 03 model than the 04. And it appears those complaints continue beyond the 20,000 mile mark. I'm not sure what Volvo might have done to correct shocks, transmission clunks, engine hesitation or other items for the 04 model, but I'm hearing of far fewer complaints. Even the service manager at the local dealership suggested avoiding the 03 model (they had a very reasonably priced trade in on the lot), claiming that the 03 is "hit or miss" with respect to bugs.

So, lev, even though we disagree on the advice, perhpas you are pleased that I'm becoming more Vovlo friendly for the 2004 model?
  • Options
    Edward,
    I had no doubts that the dust will settle around the XC90 sooner or later. It's a great "first attempt" for the Volvo. I wish that every automaker in the world will be so successful with their first steps into the new markets.

However, even if it might sound as splitting hairs, I will keep arguing my point with the SPECIFIC MY03 car.
    I am not suggesting to buy a new 03 model over the 04. I suggest to keep the car, where a lot of "bugs" were already cure. I strongly believe that it makes that particular car more reliable than the "fresh" 04 stock. And no matter how decent the trade deal is, you lose quite a bit.
  • Options
    dmb2004dmb2004 Member Posts: 6
    mmmm89 - If you know, what did your dealer charge for the Volvo rear entertainment system? The Volvo website lists it with an msrp of $2,051 without installation. Can't find dealer invoice on this unit anywhere. Thanks.
  • Options
    mmmm8mmmm8 Member Posts: 26
    The dealer charged me $3000 for parts and labors. It's too expensive. But not much choice at that time. I checked with some elctronic chain stores (circuit city / goodguys), and since the car was new to the market, not much info for those guys to install. They wouldn't take any chance. And it was right at that time. My dealer took several days to install it. I took the car in on Friday, and got back on Tuesday. They worked on Sat and Sun, too. And for some local shop with good reputation, they charged more ($3000 to $5000).
    Now, I will definitely reconsider it. It is a roof-mounted. And it is right after the moon/sun-roof. So it is very close to the second row. It is just too close to my kids. I perfer the headrest mount monitor which has more distance. They will not need to tilt their heads up too much. Further, the drive is right after second row. So you cannot change the disc until you stop and go behind the car. (I have a 4 years old and a 1 1/2 years old) They cannot use the remote. And I can't see the screen what's going on. And I have no control even when with my wife siting in the passenger side. So I would like to some access and monitor capability for the front row. This is a major drawback. Finally, sound comes out thru 2 small speakers in the monitor, not connect to the car sound system.
    I would suggest you to check around first.
  • Options
    schuhcschuhc Member Posts: 333
    I had mine installed by a group that works with my dealership. Two Audiovox screens (one in each headrest), DVD player under the driver's seat, remote sensor in the front and the back, AND they wired it so that it works with the stereo system. I paid between $2,500 and $2,700 for mine in Chicago. In that amount is $150 for a 'game plug' that would allow for playing a video game console. on one screen while watching the DVD on the other. Haven't tried that out yet (as my wife makes me drive on trips) so don't know if it works. But everything else about it to this point is phenomenal. They really did an excellent job.

My suggestion would be to try the Audiovox 800 number (800.645.4994) to see if they have anyone that does that work in the NJ/NY area.
  • Options
    akrakr Member Posts: 33
    I just had a Sony 7 inch widescreen DVD installed with the DVD player under the front drivers seat (acessible from the rear passeger side, FM modulator that works great with the pro logic system and 2 wireless headphones. The color of the screen-mount exactly matches the XC90 head cover and looks great. Now for the best part. I paid $617 delivered on-line and $460 for installation for a total of under $1,100. Am very happy with the work. The screen is installed just behind the sunroof but tilts back and swivels and the remote works from the front seat. Sony quality is evident in thhis system and I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    Now that is a helluva deal (aside from the roof mounted screen). Neglected to mention that I also have the wireless headphones.

But geez.... A Sony system for ~$1,000 is a bargain.
  • Options
    inabindinabind Member Posts: 1
    Took my xc90 in for 7500 mile service and to have recall items done. Got the car back and since then has stalled 3 times in one week. Driving down the road and all of the sudden you have no power. Volvo has had the car for a week and as of yet has found no problem. Has anyone else had this problem? I just want it to be fixed.

I have had numerous issues with the nav and radio, but who cares now. You can put all the safety features on a car you want, but what if I'm pulling out in a intersection and the car stalls? I feel like I just purchased a $50,000 coffin. I can't trust the car.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There aren't any other stall complaints in here that I can find using the Search This Discussion tool. You may want to look around NHTSA.org for consumer complaints, but I suspect it's something wrong your XC90, not an endemic problem.

There was a bunch of bad Ashland gas reported a couple of weeks ago in the Louisville KY area, but I guess the problem there is dying gauges and fuel pumps, causing vehicle stalls when people unknowingly run out of gas.

Please let us know what the dealer says.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    volvomandovolvomando Member Posts: 8
    The driver and passenger windows on my XC 90 squeak like crazy when going up or down. It sounds as if they were rubbing hard against some rubber. Anyone experience this?
  • Options
    opinopin Member Posts: 1
    Opinion and advise requested from 2004 volvo XC90 owners, how do you rate this vehicle,any serious problems especially that I want to lease it, is it wise to go for Acura MDX its closest competitor
    Thank you
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check the Volvo XC90 vs. Acura MDX comparison topic too.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jp666jp666 Member Posts: 15
    Just went thru the recent campaign 135 and my 7500 mile check...everything seems great, am ordering the Volvo DVD system and should get it in 2 weeks. I know it is expensive, but I trust the safety aspects of a Volo player...Hope I am not making a financial mistake. I am being told I am having it installed at their $ 2300 cost and not the close to 3,000 retail cost.

But, the new key chain is horrible and is just as bad as the original. It broke within 2hours...I drove back to the service department and they told me they were having just as many problems with the new key as the old key.

They told me they would relay the information to corporate and there is nothing they can do or I can do....

I know it is a minor issue but a real pain to carry the key seperate from the others. Is there someplace a individual can write to Volvo and express my opinion about the Fix and not rely on the local dealership to relay this info ?
  • Options
    JP666.

Volvocars.com is the Volvo site and they should have a customer coments section.

Think you are getting a deal on the DVD. I hear that a lot of them are being installed for around $2,800-$3,200.
  • Options
    luvgoodcarsluvgoodcars Member Posts: 2
    I just got a cracked windshield on my XC90. It's just been 10mths/15k miles on my new car.
    Agreed that there was a small hit (pin-head size damage) that was the source of the damage. I'll have to bear the cost of replacement........but interestingly, our dealer mentioned that this was the second case in 2 weeks. Living in a small town (Wilmington, NC) I would consider this a very high frequency of windshield damage pb.
    Is anyone aware of similar issues? Since this is my first Volvo, I am not sure whether all Volvo models are prone to windshield damage.
    Also an FYI.......Recently during the campaign 135 recall; I had complained about hard transmission shift problems. The dealer said it was a internal electrical failure and replaced the valve body assembly (under warranty). It has been running smoother since.
  • Options
    guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    Volvos usually have very strong windshield. I've had Volvos for the last 16 years and replaced only one windshield. In the same period, I've probably changed 5-6 windshields on various other cars.

Guy
  • Options
    luvgoodcarsluvgoodcars Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Guy! Makes me feel better.
  • Options
    ragjrragjr Member Posts: 2
    Wife's car is '03 Volvo XC90 (13,000miles) with no problems so far (except tire wear) until yesterday. Car is normally garaged, but was parked outside in a heavy rain with all windows, doors, and sunroof apparently closed tightly. After rain there was a significant amount of water on the floor on the passenger side. Checked carefully and could find no obvious signs of water entry. Any ideas before I go to the dealer?
  • Options
    A couple of posts back someone referred to an issue of rolling up the passenger side window, and then having to 'lift up' on the 'latch' again so that it would seal. I tried it on my 04 and that has not been an issue for me but you may want to try it out on yours.

Don't know what the reason for that is.
  • Options
    chomondelychomondely Member Posts: 15
    My 2003 2.5 has two tubes that carry water away from the windshield. The tube pass in front of the firewall and have rubber flappers at the bottom. If the flappers stick, water will back up in the tube and flood the fresh air vents allowing water to enter the cabin. I found this out after driving in heavy puddles at high speed. There was water under all of the carpets which had to be dried at great expense.
    The flaps are easier to reach if you remove the plastic skid plate.
  • Options
    nut4trainsnut4trains Member Posts: 1
    Hello! Last week we traded in my 2000 Lexus RX300 for the 2004 Volvo XC90. I am picking it up in two days. The salesman pointed out the side decor package, since the showroom model had it installed. My husband and I both LOVED the way it looked and wanted that added to ours. The salesman went to check the price and then informed us that Volvo has recently discontinued the side decor option because of problems -- I guess these panels are just applied with double-stick tape or something and they must come loose, flap around, go sailing off ... I don't know what went sour with them. Still, I love the enhancement they give the car and the salesman said I can still have them put on (they are added at the dealer anyway) but he wouldn't encourage it. I'd love to hear from anyone who has the side decor panels and can give me any pros and cons as to adding them to my car. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    ragjrragjr Member Posts: 2
    Regarding the rain leak which I previously reported, the dealer did find that the sunroof drains were "restricted at elbows". They "trimmed elbows and reinstalled". Am anxiously waiting for the next downpour.
  • Options
    I have just over 64,000 miles on my 2003 2.5t AWD.
    I took care of the visibility problem caused by the driver's side B pillar by installing a small round mirror held by sticky tape on the driver's side mirror. Works fine and has yet to fall of.
    With respect to tires, I gave the factory Contintetal tires to Sam's Discount Warehouse at 7,500miles. I put Michelin L/T M/S tires on and have had no problems. I still have over half the tread left. I keep the tire inflated to the max pressure on the tire carcass and keep the tires rotated. Off road performance greatly enhanced.
  • Options
    lee700lee700 Member Posts: 7
    Just purchased the XC90 and was very impressed with how quite it was until...I opened the sun roof at about 40mph. It was like mini sonic booms! What is the deal? Is this something I am going to have to live with? I have not called the dealer yet but needless to say, I am not very happy about it. Anyone else have this problem--or a solution?
  • Options
    xraymanrrxraymanrr Member Posts: 34
    does anyone have a similar problem or know how to fix?

my cruise control periodically malfunctions when in use. when i try to reset speed nothing happens. when i try to turn off the cruise light on the dash board nothing happens. the only way i can reset is to turn the engine off and restart. the recent campaign recall did not solve the promblem.
  • Options
    guyfrguyfr Member Posts: 55
    Did you open the roof all the way. If you pull on the switch and let it go, the sun roof will stop at a position about three quarter of the way where it is not so noisy.

Guy
  • Options
    1sttimevolvo11sttimevolvo1 Member Posts: 189
    This is pretty much the norm with all newer vehicles and sunroofs.
    Open the rear passenger windows about 2-inches and the noise should be elimintated.
  • Options
    You might have to play with the position of the rear windows. On mine, if the rear windows are partially lowered, I get a significant thumping sound. I use it to control the kids if they get out of line.
    My sunroof is fairly quiet compare to other vehicles.
  • Options
    volvovasavolvovasa Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased an XC90 and found a constant buzzing sound from the radio while the car is parked (the ignition is off - there is no power to any system). You need to listen closely, or place your ear right up against the radio screen.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? I don't think it's the A/C system. The dealer claims a software patch may reduce the buzz; I'll find out when I bring the car in...
  • Options
    volvovasavolvovasa Member Posts: 6
    Regarding the buzzing from the radio it turns out this is from the climate control system. There is a software patch that can be installed. This patch will reduce the sound in general and eliminate it approximately 5 minutes after the ignition is off.

An added benefit is that the auto climate control setting will no longer apply the maximum fan speed as the initial condition, a more moderate initial fan speed is applied. So, see your dealer and get the patch if you need it...
  • Options
    wuckywucky Member Posts: 1
    We recently purchased a new '04 AWD XC90 T-5. One thing I've noticed - - - if we're stopped on an incline, even a slight incline, the vehicle will roll backwards if we do not have our foot on the brake. In most vehicles with automatic transmissions this is not the case. Is this common? Is something amiss?

Thanks
  • Options
    abwndabwnd Member Posts: 7
    Picked-up my T6 last weekend before the trip to Fla. 1000 miles later I have a few issues. Dealer has the T6 now. Anyone experience these or have advise?

Muffler rumble at stop: Idle seems high 800 - 850

Premium Sound rear channel crackle/static: Seems to change with movement. Volume also erratic with movement.

Short Squeal/Whistle when accelerating: can't tell if from trans or turbo
  • Options
    haefhaef Member Posts: 1
    No, I don't have a problem with my key chain or rain through my sunroof (only once when I left it open... I learned quickly after that). I'm a very happy owner since 1/03 with 33,000 miles of pleasurable traveling and commuting. My one big gripe has been with the tires. At 17,000 miles noise from our OEM Pirelli tires became intolerable, (due to tread cupping?). Volvo was kind enough to replace the tires, and we were again back to the wonderful quiet that we so enjoyed from the beginning. Unfortunately, another 17,000 miles are now approaching, and the tire whine is again reaching intolerable levels. My question is, after searching for replacement brands, there seem to be few that fit the 235/17R65 that fit the requirements of the 17 in wheels and H rating for this vehicle.

Please let me know what replacement tires you have been satisfied with. Of course I am looking for excellent ride and handling, along with QUIET and great tread life.
  • Options
    rico1rico1 Member Posts: 3
    Here is a strong suggestion. Have your tires replaced with Michelin tires. I had the exact some issue 2 sets of tires in less than 30 thousand miles. Volvo knows there is a big issue with the Pirelli tires especially on 03 xc 90. There are also service notices on the shocks for the 03 and some software upgrades for the stereo. Volvo really stood behind my issues after I haggled with the dealer who was trying to hide the real issues. Good luck.
  • Options
    lee700lee700 Member Posts: 7
    I second the Michelin suggestion. My XC90 came with Michelins and they are great. I have had a lot of experience with different tires--and the Michelins have been the best. I put them on an old Explorer and it handled BETTER than it ever did new! I also recently purchased a 325. It had Bridgestone (Firestone) tires on it. I told the dealer I was not buying a BMW with Firestone tires on it and he changed them out for some Michelins. The car handled totally different after the exchange. You will pay a little more for them--but I think they are worth it.
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    I don't think that is a fair comment about the Bridgestones. I replaced some Michelins on my car with Brudgestone Turanzas and the Turanza is a far superior ride. Much nicer handling.
  • Options
    I agree with adp3. While we have the Michelin's on the our XC90 T6, I recently took the pilots off of my C70 HT and put on the Potenzas. Much nicer handling in the rain the the Michelin Pilots were and the tread wear has been very even. Not sure if I will go back to those or try the Falkens on the coupe next. In another 25k for the XC I imagine I'll start looking at alternatives, but no complaints about the Michelins to this point.
  • Options
    jujubeeejujubeee Member Posts: 2
    I've had my XC90 for 2 months now. I absolutely love it!!!
    I've been noticing a certain faint, high pitched squeeling type noise coming from the vehicle. It kind of sounds like the sound some vehicle's brakes make when they are due to be serviced. Thing is, it doesn't happen when I'm braking!!! I'll be driving along and all of a sudden I get this sound. Has anybody else experienced this?
    Also, sometimes when I back up and start to apply the brakes, I hear a grinding sound.
    I know I need to take this in. I just wish I had a better way of explaining it. It is an intermittent problem and I worry it won't duplicate itself for them, or they won't really know what to look for.
    By the way, the vehicle is a 2004 with 2500 miles on it.
  • Options
    csarocsaro Member Posts: 2
    I have had my XC90 for a little over a year and have 9,450 miles on it. I need to know if anyone has experienced the following problems: the drivers side door pops open when driving on an uneven or bumpy surface. This has happened twice with no warning. The Volvo service center "checked" the hinge the first time it happened and it seemed to be fine. Today it happened again which resulted in a serious situation. Anyone experience the door situation? Any problem with blowing out the tires by hitting a curb? That is what happened as a result of the door coming open while driving. Hit a curb, broke the wheel, which then popped a tire now the brakes and the steering does not work! Road side assistance could not help the VIN was not in the data base. After having the car towed away, I called the "Roadside assistance 800 number again and was informed that I should have been assisted and that information goes to one data base and my VIN probably never made it in or "slipped" through the cracks and they were sorry they could not help me at the time but should have. NOT HAPPY with the VOLVO experience. Anyone else?
  • Options
    adp3adp3 Member Posts: 446
    What solution have people come up with to play your mp3 or IPOD throught the Volvo audio system?

I've heard of sucess with the iTrip and with the Transpod. Have any of you had success with those units, or with another FM modulator?
  • Options
    volvomandovolvomando Member Posts: 8
    This sounds like a very serious problem. Please keep us informed.