Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti M35/M45 2006+

Comments

• proeproe Member Posts: 157
    I think it is by choice. I do not believe Honda who has won every F1 Championship in years they have participated cannot design world class brakes. The biggest reason I believe would be cost. I heard BMW's brake replacement is in thousands not mid hundreds typically for Honda. Again, it is corporate decision not to have V8 on RL, rather than Honda does not know how to put a V8 in RL.

I do think Nissan has outdone itself again with the new M series. In other words, it is going to be very interesting automobile market for $50,000 range.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Infiniti-if you read this site and you have any compassion for us long suffering hungry potential buyers-please-BRING ON THE M!!!

NOW!!!
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I'm not entirely sure thats it. Hondas almost always are absolutely last place when it comes to braking tests, and it appears that will again be the case with RL, as STS, 5, E, A6, M, and GS all already do or should stop shorter than RL. I cant believe that ALL of their brake systems cost thousands of dollars, except for the Honda.

I was expecting a lot from Infiniti after the awesome G35, and they seem to have hit another home run. All of the German naysayers that have said "Japan can never beat the E and 5" might want to rethink their attitudes, and start questioning why they are paying $60K+.
    Look at the 2003 American Exotics Comparison Test

among NSX, Corvette Z06, Viper SRT-10, and SVT Cobra, or just look at S2000's braking distance and you should realize why I think it is by choice.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/89505/page010.- html

I cannot understand why.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    Brake tests are more like tire tests; just about any car will have brakes strong enough to lock up its tires, which are thus the limiting factor. Hondas always come with crappy OEM tires.

The quality of a good brake system shows up after repeated use. I don't know much about whose are better (except the NSX's are known to be good and the Civic Si's to not really be), but I wouldn't use braking tests as proof.

"Hey,anybody out there know if the new M45 will have a true manumatic option like the new 5-series BMWs."

It's a sad day when a manumatic transmission is called "true" =[.

I've always liked defending Japanese luxury cars but if a manumatic is their idea of a fun drive, I'm never going to actually buy one.
    Sorry Carl, but the Japanese build what they know they can sell here. Americans dont buy sticks, so they dont make them.
  • drewsrxdrewsrx Member Posts: 57
    proe,

What else did they say about the M45 in the new C&D review? Thanks...
    I do not know what specific info that you would like to know.

I will quote the Verdict.

Highs: Smooth and torquey, fast and refined.

Lows: ATM dashboard, limited space for center rear passenger.

The Verdict: A car that grows on you day by day.

This is what C&D says "We drove the V-6 model at the car's intro and found it to be a sweet piece. Then we drove the V-8, and all we can say now is: If you've got it, flaunt it."
    proe,

Did they say anything about the handling or how it compares do other cars in its class like the 5-Series or E-Class? Just looking for some more quotes I guess.

Also, what do they mean by "ATM Dashboard"?
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    "ATM Dashboard"

probably that you press down on the buttons, rather than pressing away from you. dunno, why that's a big deal. it's more intuitive to press down on buttons anyway.
  • 05buyer05buyer Member Posts: 18
    Don't you wish all of them will be available in US?

Ceric, Yes that would be great, there are some nice options noted. The 19" is IMO the nicer wheel, but it sounds like it is only available with the Sport model.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    R&T review says ultimately M doesn't have the last bit of steering feel that 5 has: communicating what the front wheels are doing. I remember the Brit mags are complaining all the time Audi has wooden steering feel compared to BMW. That's the last thing Audi hasn't been able to deal in. I expect that's the most difficult thing for Infiniti and the other Japanese too.
    I assume this is comparing the M to 5 without active steering? In my own experience, AS absolutely ruins all steering feel, its more like a computer simulation of what steering feel might be like
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I agree with lexusguy that the active steering is a good idea but poorly implemented. Yes, Bimmer steering is precise with right amount of feedback when they are new. Most Bimmers develop a shimmy problem that is very hard to debug. Anyway, mine just shakes at around 50-55mph. I have tried balancing, new tires and alignment. None has cured it permanently. The last I need to try is control arm bushing.

A Japanese auto mag review seems to disagree with R&T. They basically think M is good enough to dethrone BMW. We will see when we drive it ourselves, won't we? Our own opinions count.
    My impression about handling from C&D is that it drives a lot like G35, which is good.

What they mean by ATM dashboard is because they were given alumina interior finish instead of wood finish, so it looks like ATM dashboard, and I have to agree with C&D after I saw the pic.
    And, that is why one C&D editor called the new 645i the "Ultimate Driving Simulator" because of the Active Steering. I think C&D had the same issue with the new 545i as well.
  • chuck10chuck10 Member Posts: 1
    First the G-35, then the FX, now the new M, wow Infiniti is on a roll and i like it!!!!!
  • jrock65jrock65 Member Posts: 1,371
    Don't forget, the QX56 has been a sales success as well. Hence, their last 3 vehicles have been great for them. The M will undoubtedly make it 4 in a row.
    I always feel Nissan is the performance of the bunch, however, its interior is last of the bunch.

I think interior is Nissan's only weakness, which is easier to improve than performance as that has been weakness of both Honda and Toyota.

I guess both Honda and Toyota refuse to change their direction on performance.

I have to agree Nissan has turned around, which by no mean is a easy task.

I cannot wait until Skyline GT-R hits US. Then, people will understand why its nickname is Battle God on the track.
     G35, FX, M35/45. And so it goes ad infinitum. :>)
  • achadhaachadha Member Posts: 106
    anyone have the link to the car and driver article? thanks
    Nissan's interiors of late are unforunate casualties of the rebirth of Nissan. Fortunately, Nissan is finally turning this around now that they have some money to spend. The '06 Infiniti M45 has the best interior of any Nissan ever sold in the US, even the pre-Ghosn old Infiniti cars didnt even come close. The '05 G35 is a thousand percent better, and I would expect that as the first generation post-Ghosn models are replaced, improvements should continue across the board.
  • r2917r2917 Member Posts: 67
    The RL's braking isn't that bad. If you check out R&T tests it outbraked a non sport packaged 530i they tested. Out brakes the A6 as well based on their numbers.

Tires obviously are a huge factor in braking distance. Put good performance tires on the RL and it'll brake in less feet and be closer to other cars in the class that come with performance tires. Or, put the crappy OEM tires of the RL on the other cars and see what their braking distances are.

I am guessing you have not driven the RL so you have no idea if its brakes are terrible or not...as an owner of it (and previous owner of the IS300) the RL's brakes are decent. Hardly terrible but not world class either...they do the job in every day driving though.

As for the new M, sounds like it is one heck of a car. Very impressive numbers from the C&D test! Congrats to Infiniti..they really are making awesome cars these days
    Those Car and Driver stats were impressive for the M45. Road & Track liked the car even more and got some pretty amazing numbers for the M45.

0-60 MPH - 5.3 Seconds

0-100 MPH - 13.3 Seconds

1/4 Mile - 13.8 Seconds @ 101.6 MPH

60-0 MPH - 114 Feet

80-0 MPH - 201 Feet

Skidpad - 0.90G

Slalom - 65.4 MPH

Price as Tested: $49,990

"A quick look at the numbers shows the 4000-lb M45 is no slouch, blazing to 60 mph in 5.3 seconds and through the quarter mile in 13.8 sec, at 101.6 mph. It accomplishes this with fluid ease, the engine and transmission working together seamlessly to deliver smooth, linear acceleration throughout the powerband."

"M45's 0.90 skidpad performance validates this, setting a new Road & Track best for a production sedan."

"And its 65.4 mph slalom speed is among the fastest for a luxury 4-door, bested only by more expensive hot rods like the Audi RS-6, BMW M5, and Mercedes-Benz C55.

"Much of this can be attributed to the well-executed suspension tuning, but the noticeably stiffer platform also gives the suspension a more competent foundation to work with."

"The occasional harshness and chassis flex of the G35 are nowhere to be found. Instead, the M45 motors over most bumps with confidence, the suspension doing its job unfettered by interference from other parts of the car."

"On the performance side of the performance/luxury equation, the M45 more than succeeds in delivering speed, handling, and driver involvement."

"The M45 interior marks a welcome departure, its interior backed up by dramatically improved materials and overall execution."

"There is a greater feel of quality inside the cabin, from the spec of the materials to the general fit and finish."

"After the success of the G35, it comes as no little surprise that Infiniti has followed a similar formula with the M45. Built around an improved version of a proven platform, the M45 delivers performance and luxury in an attractive, well-appointed package."
    Move over 5 :)
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    "Price as Tested: $49,990 "

My R&T has not yet arrived - is that for the M45 Sport?

Also (if you have the issue in front of you) what is the RPM at 60 mph?

Thanks,

- Ray

Interested . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Proe,

I brought this up before and was replied to by Ceric. It would be very SIMPLE for the factory to just offer as an option the rosewood finish in the Sport Package. The "Alumina only" is not appealing to all potential buyers.

http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2006vehicles/infiniti_m/specs.- shtml

Genuine Rosewood accents on

doors, instrument panel and

center console

Standard on Luxury, Optional on Sport

= = =

Genuine Aluminum accents on

doors, instrument panel and

center console

Standard on Sport, N/A on Luxury

I’ll have to see a couple of interiors, with different colors and wood / aluminum to decide.

From pictures I have seem, the interior (and exterior – front) styling are not yet growing on me. We’ll see.

- Ray

Liking the R&T performance numbers, though . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    rayainsw,

Good update news on the rosewood and an even better on the link you provided (best detail I've seen to date).

One huge aspect that I noticed on the M45 V8 is the 6.7 quart oil capacity. Not sure that Infinity covers the rest of their engines at this volume, but this is great design factor.
    anyone seen pics of M's without the navigation system? just curious as to how the interior would look without it..
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Just like every 04+ Prius comes with a TFT-LCD display no matter it comes with a NAVI or not, the new M will come equipped with the large display in every car. It is used to display all information (A/C control, TPMS, etc.). My best guess based on all info I gathered, anyway.
    Yeah thats rather typical of most luxury cars built these days, a screen comes standard, just the GPS software\antenna are optional.
    rayainsw, they did not say what the RPM was at 60 MPH.

Yes, the car that they tested was the M45 Sport as far as I can tell, because they mentioned the Rear Active Steer system works really well as designed.
    "rayainsw, they did not say what the RPM was at 60 MPH. "

Looks like it is 2300 rpm.

(Under the other gearing info - top right of data panel, I believe.)

Thanks,

- Ray

Personally preferring lower rpm at cruise (and better highway mpg) to the last few tenths improvement in SS 1/4 mile. . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • cruller001cruller001 Member Posts: 12
    I am not sure if you have since been able to find out the answer to the question as to what the rpm was at 60mph. It is 2300rpm @ 60mph. Same article.
  • cruller001cruller001 Member Posts: 12
    My guess is the M35 sport would be the hotseller. I would like to see a performance review of this so optioned vehicle. I also hope they make the 6speed manual transmission available pronto for this version as well. After that, I would like to see a 7-10 vehicle comparo. This vehicle as far as I can tell from what I have read so far, has no interior issues, except for that ATM comment in Car and driver I think it was. No such similar comments in Road and Track.
    . . is on-line at nissan-techinfo.com

- Ray

Scanning . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    DETROIT (Jan. 10, 2005) - Infiniti, the luxury division of Nissan North America, Inc., today announced pricing on the all-new 2006 Infiniti M performance luxury sedans during a press conference at the North American International Auto Show. The 2006 Infiniti M35 sedan, with 280-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 and 5-speed automatic transmission, features a starting Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price* (MSRP) of $39,900. The Infiniti M45 sedan, with a 335-horsepower 4.5-liter V8 and 5-speed automatic transmission is priced at a MSRP of $46,750.

The new Infiniti M will be available for display and test drives beginning in early February at Infiniti dealers nationwide and will be available for customer delivery in late February.

Other available models include the M35 Sport, with a MSRP of $42,700; the M35 AWD with Infiniti’s intelligent all-wheel drive system, which is priced at a MSRP of $42,400; and the M45 Sport, with a MSRP of $49,550.

supposed to be in salesroom sometime next month
    I somehow think M35 AWD would be the hot seller as you can drive it to any other States without worry about any whether.

I think it would be wise for Infiniti to cancel G35 since M35 Sport and M35 AWD could fill G35's spot and cancel Q45 since you have M45 Sport to take its place.

Then in 2007, you have Infiniti GT-R, that is like NSX in Acura line up.

I think by 2008, Infiniti is ready to take on entire Acura lineup, entire Lexus lineup, BMW's entire 3 series and 5 series, Audi's A4, and A6, and portion of MB's C class E class or maybe S class.

I mean with arrival of GT-R, Infiniti will take on Corvette C6, Porsche 911, Acura NSX, and other sports car.

I bet by 2010, Infiniti will be the new benchmark.

What a turn around.
    This is my prediction.

1. M45

2. 545i

3. STS

4. A6(V8)

5. E350

6. GS430

7. RL

I don't think BMW will lose to STS.
    Why would Infiniti cancel G35? Its a totally different car, in a different price range than M35. A fully loaded G35 AWD goes for just $36K. I dont know what is going to happen to the Q. It has essentially failed to compete against LS400\430 for 15 years now. They killed I35, the failed ES300\330 competitor, so the same fate may await the Q at the end of this models life span.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    What's in the Journey package? The Technology package? Premium package?
    Package Option Components are listed here - near bottom:

http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2006vehicles/infiniti_m/specs.- shtml
    2022 X3 M40i
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    In LA or Detroit get a good look at the production version yet? What is the official launch date?
    The commercials are already on TV.
    I heard sometime next month according to nissannews.com
    What is with R&Ts comment about that the M45's " new interior is not quite up to the BMW, MB and Lexus" ??? I have been in several of those makes and am trying to figure what specifically they are referring to............
    05buyer,

That is strange, the February issue of Automobile magazine says that the interior is not quite as good as Audi, but on par with Mercedes-Benz and better than Cadillac.

"Matte rosewood trim or aluminum swoop and sweep across the M's intstrument panel in a design purportedly inspired by a piano keyboard. Nissan's cost cutters did not show up for this particular recital, so the cabin materials, if not best in class (Audi), are on par with Mercedes and superior to Cadillac."

"If you drive the new M hard, you'll know that Infiniti is at last close to being the Japanese BMW. With cars this good, Infiniti's upcoming sixteenth birthday should be sweet."
    Funny, I think the new 5's interior stinks. It still doesnt take much effort to beat Cadillac at interiors.