Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,217
    The dealer is allowed to mark up the rate by 1%. BMWFS then rebates part of the extra interest to them upfront..

They probably clear an extra $500 that way.. Keep that in mind when negotiating.. because it will likely cost you an extra $1000 over the life of the loan.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mynextcarmynextcar Member Posts: 30
    Thank you, kyfdx! Your info saved me additional 1k! After I told the salesman about 1% markup and told him to deduct 1% from the sales price,he ended up offering me 1.9% APR.
    I got two good offers and am trying to make decision. Here is the two offers:

<2005 3.0i>
    Premium,Cold Weather,Rear Climate, Automatic
    MSRP: $48,480
    Offer: $45,500 ($1,100 above invoice)

<2004 3.0i>
    All of the above plus Xenon
    MSRP: $49020
    Offer: $45,500 + 1.9% APR ($500 above invoice)

Which one should I take?
    That is a tough choice..

If you assume that you will get 4.9% financing on the '05, then the '05 will be about $60/mo. more for the life of the loan... or about $3600 more overall...

If you think you might have the car for 3 years or less, I think that financially, you would definitely be better off with the '05.. The newer the car is, the bigger difference in value between model years, plus you won't have paid the higher interest for the full term.

If you are keeping the car for 4 years or more, then things even out for the '04.

1) That low interest rate is worth more the longer you keep the car... If you sell it soon, or it gets totaled, you'll lose money by having an '04, without benefiting from the low interest rate.

2) The bigger the downpayment, the less you gain from the low rate financing.

3) If you can find 3.9% financing (my C.U. had this as recently as September), then the difference is only $40/mo.

4) If the '04 is a demo, or has already been put in service and has less warranty, then the '05 is definitely the better deal.

5) The '05 is the "safer" deal. All of the above warnings and caveats are a negative only for the '04.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• hipreckhipreck Member Posts: 67
    If you are keeping the car for a long time the 2004 is a good deal. In my case, I leased a 2004 this month, I didn't want to worry about the advanced depreciation.

The 2005 does add standard lumbar and bluetooth. I personally am a big fan of the Xenon headlights.

Depending on the length of the loan, you can get 4% right now.

Personally if I were buying, I'd go the 2005. Leasing I'd do the 2004 (if residuals where even)
    Thanks to kyfdx and hiperck. I got 2004 model. I am planning to keep the car long so 1.9% is more attractive to me. I also test drived 2005 model and did not see much differences in terms of performance and exterior.
  • cxhomecxhome Member Posts: 1
    do you mind sharing which dealer gave you those quotes($45,500 for 2005 3.0i)

thank you,
  • solveheresolvehere Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody have experience with negotiating on a 2001 certified X5 4.4? I found one that has a good carfax report. Has the Cold weather Pkg to include heated rear seats, Premium, and Climate pkg. $34K miles. Dealership won'tgo below $33,500.00

Any comparible experience?
    Thanks, Solvehere
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    The CPO program has gone over so well it seems that BMW dealers have really jacked up the prices. For example, the actual CPO certificate costs a dealer $1200 in factory charges plus whatever he puts into the vehicle. Lets be liberal and allow $500 for reconditioning, maybe a set of brake pads, a batterey, and a headlight cover for a total investment of $1700. (Note these parts were all purchased at wholesale by the dealer.) If we use a 30% profit margin (cost divided by .7) the price difference should be around $2400 for a CPO over a non CPO. This 30% profit margin is a very generous allowance.

Yet, in comparing both Edmunds TMV for CPO vs. non CPO as well as actual prices on the BMWUSA CPO web site vs. the cars.com site for non CPO cars, the price difference is much more than that. And the dealers seem to get it! Are the consumers gullible and/or scared?

So, how much more is a CPO 3.0 worth? What is going to happen o an '01 through '03 X5? Interestingly, the CPO certificate and other costs don't vary with age or miles. If someone found a late (e.g., '03 X5) model with low miles and some remaining original warranty, maybe he should pass on the CPO surcharge? Conversely, maybe an '01 with a CPO is a wise investment.

Is a 3.0 X5 that problematic that one should pay 3K-4K more just for a CPO??
  • murmalmurmal Member Posts: 25
    Hi mynextcar,

Do you mind sharing which dealer gave you those quotes($45,500 for 2005 3.0i)

Thanks in advance,

Murmal
    Please provide Prices paid and the dealer info in
    and around VA, DC, MD, NOVA, WVA, NC, SC, DE, PA
    and NJ area. I am shopping around for 2005 X5
    3.0i. Test driven 2004 X5 3.0i on 11/30/2004
    in Richmond VA.

MSRP 48420 + tax + titles + processing fee
    Offer 47980 + tax + titles + processing fee
    X5 3.0i + Prem Pkg + Cold weather Pkg + Rear
    Climate Pkg.

Doesn't look like a good deal. Salesperson
    is not ready for any negotiations. Inspite of the
    fact that day was last day of the month after the
    Thanksgiving day weekend. Any feedback with good
    dealer info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Murmal.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    You might also check out our Certified Used Vehicles (CPO) discussion to see what others are saying about the cost vs. benefit.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• wolverine88wolverine88 Member Posts: 5
    my local dealer offer me 2005 X5 3.0i for Invoice + $1500, is it a good price?
    Wlverine88,
    Sounds Good to me. BTW can you post your dealer
    name, options you have chosen and the location
    of your dealer will greatly benefit everyone here.

Yours,

Murmal.
  • eastoncarguyeastoncarguy Member Posts: 29
    I live in eastern PA, and am working with Northern NJ dealer to decide between an X5 or a 530. Good gas mileage or poor? RWD or AWD? are the deciding factors.

Here are the details for a 36month 15k mile lease.

2005 530

(Cold Weather, Premium Pkg, Nav System, Satellite Radio, Xenons, Automatic)

MSRP $53,115

60% Residual

Selling Price $49,915 @$1100 over invoice

MF .00125

w/9% PA tax $657.28/month

2005 X5 3.0

(Premium, Cold Weather, Rear Climate, Nav System, Xenons, heated steering wheel, self-dimming mirrors)

MSRP $51,520

58% Residual

Selling Price $48,395 @ $1000 over invoice

MF .00125

w/9% PA tax $667.20 /month

A local PA dealer also did very well.

Seems fair to me. Any thoughts? Also a weigh in on the 530 vs X5 in the Snowbelt would be great.
    I took the plunge and got one x5 for invoice + 900. let me know if you are interested in the dealership.
    Thats a good deal. I've heard invoice plus $1200. Incidentally, while Edmunds and others represent that BMW dealers do not receive "hold back", don't feel sorry just yet. The factory has quarterly rebates to the dealers based on units moved. A hold back by any other name is still a hold back...
    Sorry I havn't checked the message board lately. The quote is from VOB in Rockville, MD.
  • angel721angel721 Member Posts: 1
    What dealership and where offered the invoice +900? What options? The best offer for X5 + automatic + prem pkg + rear climate + cold weather + Navigation was invoice + $1300. Dealership in NJ. Thanks!
  • eastoncarguyeastoncarguy Member Posts: 29
    Wolverine I had two different dealers in NJ doing better than $1300 over invoice.

JMK BMW in Springfield and Hunterdon BMW in Lebanon. Daniels BMW in Allentown, PA was willing to match.
    Wolverine88,

Can you provide us with the dealer's name and location with the options you have chosen. I am in the market for a 2005 - X5 3.0i and couldn't find any deal in Richmond, VA which is as competitive as yours is.

Thanks in advance,

Murmal.
    mine is premium package, cold weather package, , rear climate package, xenon, heated wheel, pdc, auto tranmission for invoice + 900.

I didn't get the navigation as I have a van which already has one. I plan to get a PDA based navigation.

the dealer is bmw of ann arbor, michigan.

Btw, is it good to buy

window etching (anti-theft) for 200

and 6 year maintanene upgrade for 1300

Thanks.
    wolverine88,

Thanks for the response. I don't know about 6 yr

maintenance upgrade. But I would strongly suggest

you visit this link http://www.carbuyingtips.com/scams.htm?x=0tekxgl_eoyyqkz_ttky3&am- p;y=0x25x62x62x40 to learn more about the scams.

Murmal.
  • piratemanpirateman Member Posts: 18
    Will someone tell me if "fleetservices.com" is legit?? I can't understand how they can beat the Boston area BMW Dealers by thousands of dollars...the only catch is you have to ship the car from wherever..in this case Beverly Hills, CA to Boston for $800. Anyone know someone who purchased this way??
  • rinirini Member Posts: 1
    we are buying the x5 and were offered $46,800/ it has cold weather, rear climate premium package, xenon lights and heated stering wheel. Does anyone have a better offer?

We are in ohio.

Thanks. what was on you x5 that came to 45,500??
    We are looking at two CPO X5 3.0s.

One an '01 with 32,000 miles, good options and priced at $36,900 with an Edmunds TMV as a CPO of $32,840. The '01 has 2.9% factory financing which will save us $900 over the course of a three year loan compared to 5% financing. I think that the dealer built this into the asking price!

The second one is an '02 with with 42,000 miles similar options, priced at $38,900 with an Edmunds TMV of $36336 as a CPO (The CPO is worth a premium over an above dealer retail.). There is no extra special financing , only 4.9% from BMW.

I'd like to ask the board several questions:

1) We tend to keep cars for 10 or so years from new and out to 110,000 miles or so. Will an X5 be suitable for this kind of retention or will it nickel and dime us? Should be go for a stick shift if we are going to keep it that long (I've read the BMW automatics aren't great, despite being made by ZF).

2) Given the only 10k price gap from a new '05 (see above post) should we just buy a new one?

3) At what price level do the above cars make sense? Below Edmunds TMV with CPO?

Thanks,
    1) I wouldn't go with a stick because of fear of repairs from the automatic... Of course, any car you keep for ten years may need major repairs at some point...

2) Yes, at those prices, you should just get a new one.. or a leftover '04, if the deals are good.

3) The above cars? I'd rather have the low mileage '01, but I think a price closer to $30k would be more in the ballpark. The lower financing helps..

On the used ones, the expiration date of the CPO warranty would be my major concern.. If the '01 has an in-service date of 10/00, then it has less than 2 years of CPO warranty left... On the other hand, if the '02 in-service date is 09/02, then you have almost 4 years of warranty left... So, even though they are one-model year apart, the warranty expiration could vary greatly, depending on what time of year they were first sold.... it could also vary in the other direction, of course...

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kydfx, thanks. Maybe you and Terry should start an on line consulting service? You do the number crunching and Terry provide the background/running commentary for the numerically challenged (e.g., "enthusiasts don't buy cars, buyers buy cars")?
  • gnailuhgnailuh Member Posts: 13
    I'm told by a dealer that there's this MACO charge he's charged. Here's his quote.

"MACO is a fee charged to all

Bay Area Region dealers at 1% of the base invoice price of the car.

In the case of the 2005 X5 3.0 MACO would be $381 because the base

invoice is $38,105."

This this correct? Is there such a thing as MACO?

THanks.
    MACO is an advertising charge that BMWNA adds to the invoice in most metropolitan areas... I don't recall it being a set percentage of MSRP, but a charge of $200-$450 per unit is typical..

But, that is part of the dealer's cost, not yours... unless you negotiate $XXX over invoice.. In that case, you have to take that charge into account.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• gnailuhgnailuh Member Posts: 13
    thank you kyfdx... that's exactly the situation i'm in, $500 over invoice for a new X5... plus MACO... sounds too good to be true, but let's see how it plays out.
  • m4d_cowm4d_cow Member Posts: 1,491
    im considering an 05 X5 3.0, black on beige, premium, auto, xenon, coldweather. how much over invoice am i looking forward to pay for?

its my 1st time buying an suv, so comments would be really appreciated. thanks

one more thing, is the pastel green interior available for USspec x5?
  • zoranzoran Member Posts: 69
    i purchased in california bay area, 4.4, @750 over invoice plus MACO excellent customer service from a bmw dealer for a chanhe.
  • peppino2peppino2 Member Posts: 6
    What is good deal on following:

2003 BMW X5 3.0 13249 miles

Premium Package

Cold Weather Package

Xenon Headlights

Woodgrain

Light Green Metallic Paint

Not a CPO; original warranty and maintenance till

9/07. Dealer says it cost them $5,000 to have them CPO, but would be half ($2,500) if I do directly through BMW, says I can do anytime before the warranty runs out. Is this true? Car was purchased at dealership and resold by original owner who left the country to dealership. I plan to verify with Carfax, dealer offered to do it for me. I will be returning as soon as I can come up with price to offer.

Listing Price: $38,895.

Appreciate any feedback and assistance on what price to offer and CPO costs and truths. Also Consumer reports lists that vechicle can lift wheels in high avoidance manuevers. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks for the help!
    The extended warranty plan is only available to the original owner or lessee... If they don't CPO the car, and you buy it used, you will NOT be able to add the warranty later...

Their payment to BMW to CPO the vehicle is about $1200.. They may have other costs to bring it up to CPO standards, but in general the total cost is only $1500-$2500... and probably on the low end, considering that car only has 13K miles.

It sounds like they don't want to CPO the car.. Probably one of three reasons..

1) With the low mileage, they think they can sell it easier without the CPO.

2) They sense price resistance from you, and think they can't get the CPO cost back on purchase.

3) There is something that disqualifies the car from the CPO program. (prior major body damage, manufacturer buyback, etc..)

The $5K BS, and the "prior owner left the country", and the misinformation about buying the CPO warranty later... Those would all make me very nervous about this car and this dealer.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thank you for the prompt response. I did not give any indication on price resistance as my initial conversation was over the phone. I did a quick test drive of the car later in the day just before the dealer ship closed and did not discuss dollars. Your responses 1) and 3) sound more probable. It sounds like I should push to have the car CPO'ed to remove any doubt as to the car's worthiness. Any suggestion on price if it was CPO'ed? They have lowered the price to $37,985 in an ad in this morning's local paper. I am located in Central (upstate) New York.
    I don't really follow the prices of X5s.. So, I'm probably not the best judge of what you should pay...

You might start a search of BMWUSA.com and autotrader, ebay, etc... to get a feel for prices.. Of course, realizing that BMW CPO units usually have unrealistic asking prices..

I might just pass this unit up, considering the response they have given you so far.. If they are unwilling to CPO it, getting them to do it may not enhance your negotiating position..

Are you anywhere near Utica? Carbone BMW has a good reputation, but they are small, and may not have much inventory.. Of course, if that is where you are shopping, then.. never mind..lol

I just don't get any warm fuzzy feelings from the guys you are talking to.. But, of course, that is just from one phone conversation..

One thing I would ask for.. A BMW vehicle history report... The service advisor can print that out in one minute, so don't let them tell you they can't give it to you.. That will have all info on warranty expiration (which you already know) and any service issues the car has had... Sometimes those reports can be enlightening... Watch for any white-out and re-copying on the report they give you..

Good luck..

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I did look at the CPO's on BMWNA and they had similar mileage similar option x5's for about the same or $1-3,000 higher. So for the asking price this X% should have been a CPO given the listed (starting price). Thank you for your suggestions. I am not shopping at Carbone,but will look them up.
    does anyone know if the pastel green interior is available for US market x5? thanks
    Do you mean exterior?

The gray-green is gone.. There are two greens available..

One is called Olivine.. this is a lighter green, and there is Highland Green.. a darker green.. I don't think either look like the old gray-green, though...

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

i mean pastel green interior, from your response im guessing theyre never available for US market, that sucks :(
    Can someone explain if either of above are added to purchase price or are included in the msrp price listing. Thank you.
    i do think it varies by state, as I heard they decided to drop off the gas guzzler tax here in WA
    never mind my previous post, i checked w/ my friend at the dmv and he said the gas guzzler tax is still on
  • twm67twm67 Member Posts: 1
    I just made a deal for my first X5, my first BMW, and a car both my wife and I have been interested in for a long, long time. Also, it will be my wife's daily driver, and our "nice car." Without any ado, the particulars.

It's a lease, and I thought the terms were pretty good. Not the best ever, but good.

MSRP - 49,370 (X5 3.0i, Sterling Grey, Black, Step., Premium, Cold, Rear Climate, Xenons, Heated S. Wheel)

Selling price - 47,432

(Someone needs to check the TMV...)

628.64 / month, 15k mi./ year. 36 Months, 58% Residual.

$3,436 up front (1,128 taxes, 307 MV fees, 650 security, 98 doc. fee, 628 1st payment and 625 bank fee)

Money factor .00140

My dealer was Open Road BMW in Edison, NJ. It was a WONDERFUL experience. I made an initial email inquiry, a few emails and phone calls later and a deal was struck. I picked up the car earlier this week.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    TMV is just the average selling price for the vehicle, not the best you can do. You did GREAT, and you seem incredibly pleased with your vehicle. Congratulations!

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• sdsf501sdsf501 Member Posts: 9
    I was just curious if anyone thought this was a good price. It was the end of month and I found this awesome fully loaded one!

2005 X5 3.0i, Silver

Premium Package, Climate Package, Cold Weather Package, Sport Package, Xeon Headlamps, Navigation System, Parking Control,Premium Hi Fi Radio system

MSRP - $55,770

Selling price - Invoice + 800 = $51,825 (includes MACO fee)

How did I do guys?
  • sdguysdguy Member Posts: 1
    sdsf501,

Which dealer did you get this deal from.
  • sdsf501sdsf501 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Sdguy,

I got the price from BMW of Escondido. Is that a pretty good price?
  • raven4raven4 Member Posts: 5
    I'm looking at an X5 lease in the Baltimore area and would like to know how much over invoice are dealers allowed to go. I know they are running a Feb lease special but at an MSRP of $45,490 how low can they go? Welcome anyone who has done a lease this month. Thanks.