Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Tucson

Comments

• Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Yep 9.75 miles to a US gallon... :cry:

There is definitely a problem there. I have an 05 LX AWD V6 (12000 miles now) and I just filled up yesterday and got 16.9 mpg on the last tank. I am in the Laurel Highlands of PA and most of my driving is to and from work on hilly 2 lane roads, sometimes snowy and icy, and lately in a lot of cold weather. You should be able to do much better than what you are getting right now. Keep on that dealer. :sick:
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Laurel Highlands? Somerset?? I also live in Pa. south central now but was born and grew up in that area...don't miss it during most winters.
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    is negative for gas mileage, yes, but 9.5 mpg negative? Whoa. I'm following this discussion because I have a '01 Sportage 4x4 but I get around 20 city/ 25 highway, averaged out tank to tank. 9.5 is nastily low, something is wrong.

And they're not spinning tires in the ice or anything? I know the Hyundai/Kia engines do need a break-in period in which engine internals seat up and set up inside, then gas mileage will improve noticeably after that. But 9.5 mpg?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    In Johnstown now, but I grew up in Jerome in Somerset County. I know what you mean about the winters around here. They can get nasty. Small world, isn't it! ;)
  • Options
    I grew up in Central City..if you know where that is you get the gold star today. Now in Chambersburg, much better winters but it still snows on occasion
  • Options
    Let's see... Central City? I seem to remember some small school district around there. Shade-Central City, maybe. ;) Lots of little towns around there, Shanksville, Berlin, Rockwood, Boswell, etc. I seem to remember our BB teams beating up a lot of those schools. :blush: But that was back in my way younger days(back in the 70s). Definitely nice country, but these winters :cry:
  • Options
    You got it!! good ole' Shade High.....
    Anyhow, I have my reservations about all the posted poor fuel economy (poor in my book is less than 15) for this smallish SUV even factoring in the fact it IS an SUV and will never, ever get 30 mpg. I have one and I know how and where I drive it and I can get 19-20 average no problem. Makes you wonder how these low numbers are being computed. To all those about to reply that MY numbers are suspect, go ahead I'm done with participating in the fuel economy debate. I get those numbers with the Tucson, did with both Santa Fe's that I had owned too but I get over 30 with my Civic if that counts. I suppose those who allegedly got better mileage with a variety of previously (and currently) owned vehicles..Ford/Dodge diesels...Chevy Blazers...Honda CRV etc ad nauseum should...do what? Check their driving habits? Have their cars checked out? Sue Hyundai? Trade them in on another of the previously owned (better mileage) vehicle? Check their math? Grin and bear it? Wake up to the fact that this is a vehicle that will generally not get great mileage? Take your pick.....or add your own suggestion. I, for one, am satisfied that I am getting what I expected and to those who aren't.. see above suggestions.
  • Options
    jimmynickjimmynick Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, My wife just got a new '06 Tucson, 6cyl, 4WD(AWD) Does anybody have any idea how this will perform in the sand on a beach. We intend to take it to the No.Carolina Outer Banks in the fall. The whole family will be going so my Bronco will also go but it would be nice to have two vehicles that could traverse the beaches.
  • Options
    vatusconvatuscon Member Posts: 1
    and I thought my 20.4 MPG was bad... there has got to be something wrong with your vehicle.

That said, one of the reasons I bought my 06 Tuscon was because of the advertised MPG. I haven't reached it yet and by the sounds of it, many others haven't either.

I also read the argument that the MPGs are inflated by the government. Not sure 'bout that one, who has the biggest dog in the MPG fight? The government or the maker?

Is anyone questioning Hyundai on the Tuscon's MPG performance? If so, I'd like to jump on that bandwagon and voice some concerns.

Other than the gallon/mile issue, the ride is everything that I wanted at a decent price.
  • Options
    I think you should be made aware of the EPA testing proceedure. I have a basic grasp of how this is done and while there are professionally researched and written articles I can give a basic overview. For starters on the professional articles however see the Oct.2005 issue of "Consumer Reports". The cover alone says "The truth about fuel economy...the EPA tests misrepresent MPG 90% of the time... in addition a recent editorial in Car& Driver magazine also addresses the problem. I am sure there are countless articles on this but basically the EPA ratings are the result of middle 1970's (1975) test assumptions that do not accurately take into account how "real" people drive. The average speed used is fixed and far less than what is normal on any interstate something like 50 mph, remember this was 1975 when the national speed limit was 55. Additionally, no AC is used..the ratio of city/highway driving does not reflect the increased density of city traffic over the last 2 decades or so. Further, some of this so called testing is done indoors with the vehicles on a dyno and suffering no effects from traffic, weather, wind, with the AC off again. The whole test is for only a very short period of time. Finally, manufacturers can legally submit a vehicle that is handbuilt and "tweeked" for maximum fuel economy. While this vehicle is technically what you or I can buy it sure isn't what you will get when you go down to your local Ford..Chevy...etc etc dealer. These are simplified reasons and by no means all of the reasons why everybody is unhappy with the "advertised" fuel economy. By the way, the EPA window sticker is in no way an advertisement for fuel economy from the manufacturer. In fact it is a government mandated " for comparison only" sticker that compares all vehicles of a certain grouping i.e. SUV's, then sub-groups within SUV's such as physical size (small SUV to large SUV), engine size,etc. If you would read the fine print it says this...use these numbers for comparison only. Based on what I have read in that Consumer Report article they compared 10 vehicles (1 ea. in each vehicle type catagory from hybrid to large SUV) for actual city driving and these were from 35 to 50% less than the EPA estimate. So, before blame is placed at the manufacturers doorstep for poor fuel economy a smart consumer should research why the EPA estimates are so inflated. In a nut shell: the tests are antiquated, no more 55 mph national speed limit(people are driving at 75-80 mph plus), city traffic is far more congested than in 1975, manufacturers submit hand built cars for testing and probably much more.
  • Options
    oztuckoztuck Member Posts: 4
    I've had the wife's Tucson on sand around Esperance, Western Australia. I certainly wouldn't take it some of the places I take my old turbo diesel Landcruiser with biiig wheels/tyres, but if you let the tyres right down, I reckon the Tucson's a pretty fair little beast.
    Also remember to use the manual gear select and to engage the centre diff lock.

Cheers
    Tuck
  • Options
    There is another Internet forum that I read regularly(Edmund's won't let me mention it) that a Tucson owner down in Australia is a member of. He drove his Tucson on many beaches and even some pretty hardcore off-roading in his homeland. He posted a lot of pics of the beautiful sand and scenery of his country and even captured the eye of Hyundai Australia. He and his Tucson were a feature article last December (I think) in a Hyundai publication down under. So, to answer your question, properly prepared, you should have no problem on the NC beaches. ;)
  • Options
    jacquesjacques Member Posts: 34
    I filled up the sponge tonight after my last 100km (60 miles)

Tomorrow I am going to the dealer for a check-up again...

my last fill-up 2 hours ago was 28 liters for 100.2 km
    in US miles/gallon ..about 8.2 8.5 miles/ US gallon (128oz)
    in Canada ..about 10.25 miles to an Imp. Gallon (160oz)

My last 100km was city driving, warm-ups nothing special

I will let you folks know what the outcome is. :confuse:
    If nothing of interest I will go to another dealer shop with the same complaint :(
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    The EPA testing procedure is irrelevant when discussing the poor gas mileage many of the posters on this forum are getting. Their real world mileage is still far from acceptable. Hyundai cannot match the EPA figures where other manufacturers can. If you are buying a small SUV in an attempt to save money on gas I would suggest looking at other brands.
  • Options
    Why in the world would you say that the EPA testing is irrevelant when many people here and surely others in the general population buy vehicles (any vehicle) thinking the EPA sticker is a guarantee from the manufacturer that said vehicle WILL get the "advertised" fuel economy? It IS NOT a guarantee...repeat... not a guarantee nor is it an advertisement by the manufacturer. It is damn sure relevent. If people were informed on what it (the EPA comparison window sticker) actually was and that it is a terminally flawed proceedure we may not have persons (like you keep pointing out) expecting a "match" on EPA figures. Also, expecting to "save money" on any SUV, small or otherwise, is a contradicting statement. If you want to save money on fuel buy a Civic, some hybrid or another, a diesel VW or any other vehicle designed for good fuel economy. I feel that an informed consumer is the first step in not expecting too much from not only the Tucson but any relatively heavy, boxy, 4wd, tall, extra driveline resistance, SUV. Don't feel too snobbish about the CRV either because I have seen some reference to unexpectedly low economy with them too... August 2005 Consumer Reports suggests that the CRV "should" get 21 MPG overall...the Tucson at 18MPG not that great a difference and one that an individual driver may be able to close. Aside from the CRV (which you conveniently own and promote) and maybe the RAV 4, both 4 cylinders, what other small SUV will "save you money"? As for "actual" mileage of 8-9-10mpg as some report...see my above post regarding suggestions, there are several.
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    1. I guess I over estimated the average buyer if they really believe that EPA estimates are a guarantee. In the context that most people (should) know these numbers are inflated, they are irrelevant. What is relevant is the actual mileage any vehicle gets. It has been my experience that Hondas and Toyotas actual mileage is closer to the EPA numbers than domestic manufacturers or, based on the postings found on this board, Hyundais. And yes I realize that boards like this attract complaints and the vast majority of people may actually be getting better mileage. I decided to go with the safe bet and get the four cylinder Honda over the six cylinder Hyundai. So far my bet has payed off in dollars at the pump (last tank 25.5 mpg :) ). And the difference between 18 and 21 mpg will add up. At $2.50/gallon you will save almost a thousand dollars over 50K miles with the CRV.

2. Saving money on gas is all relative. Of course if gas mileage was our only concern (not space, safety, features, style, power, 4wd, etc.) we would all drive econoboxes. My comment was obviously (or maybe not) meant within the context of those who like to drive SUV's for whatever reason.
  • Options
    Well this morning was dealer visit time for my reprogramming (06 Sportage v6 awd with 4500 miles) ) . Apparently the original reload (service bulletin) done about 3-4 weeksago had not laoded properly ??? This morning they reloaded a program in the engine CPU and TCU (I presume it means transmission control unit) to fix my 25-28L/100Km problem. dealer seemed confident..this time.

I will burn up some city miles and report later.
  • Options
    1.) Did you over estimate the average consumer(car buyer)? Do they think this is an advertisement.."Hey buy me I get 30 mpg" Of course they do...just check the posts here that contain the phrase "not getting the advertised fuel economy" and if that doesn't tell you that many are not informed then...what?
    As for Honda getting closer to the EPA numbers..OK lets talk about that. I happen to also own a 2006 Honda Civic EX sedan 5 speed automatic purchased new at the end of Oct. 2005. According to the EPA I should get about 30 mpg city/40 highway. My wife drives this car to and from work every day in very light small city (town really) traffic. No or little highway driving lately. The car, as of last night when I filled it up has 1450 miles on it. It took 11.63 gallons and the mileage over the tank full was 252.4. Do your math and that is 21.702494 MPG. OK round it off to 21.7...am I rabid about that even though Honda (the EPA) says 30? Nope..it is cold here, she warms the car..melts the frost and putters around town. Do I understand that it will probably do better in warmer weather, when it gets more miles Yep. But to expect the masses to buy all that..yeah good luck. What I am saying whether you choose to hear it or not is that bogus EPA information inflames many people into unnessary rage at the manufacturer..dealer etc.
    2.) All of those features you mention can be had on some vehicles other than SUV's. I drove Santa Fe's before the Tucson and yes, I like an SUV because it seems tough and able to handle the unexpected snow storm, sits high for vision over stopped traffic. Is it particularly safe..nope it is tippy and prone to roll-over. There are many, many cars that are safer and if I were to be honest I probably wouldn't even need it. Trouble is the very type of vehicle the Tucson represents is not especially fuel efficient so, once again, if fuel economy is a great issue perhaps the consumer should evaluate the need for a SUV. To quote "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime" or if you have trouble with lower fuel economy don't buy an SUV. There are alternatives that aren't "econoboxes".
    3.) for the guy that keeps posting 8.5 or 9 mpg you sir are an anomaly. This is absurd mileage. What if I said "honest to God I get 35 mpg" on my Tucson? In this forum type of setting am I just plugging in numbers to stir the pot or what? For what it is worth I frankly don't believe it.
  • Options
    pappcampappcam Member Posts: 2
    Do you warm your Sportage up for 15 minutes for a 5 minute drive??

Are you forgetting to carry a zero or something with your math??

I don't get less than 18 MPG(Imp.) in my 2006 V6 4WD Tucson. That's 100% city driving in Saskatchewan where it's also cold and icy.

You've stated previously that your Sportage runs fine but that's impossible given the "facts" you're giving us. There is something seriously out of whack with your vehicle or math so hurry up and do something about it or just go back to the Sportage forum and leave us alone.
  • Options
    upset? :mad: me to...

I write to both forums because I feel this concerns the same engine, same car, same weight, same awd same etc... including same conglomerate Hunday/kia

AT 56 I had at least a dozen cars. I am not new to this
    and I use the same driving habits... only the prices have changed.

I can do math ....have been doing them for almost 50 years (division came later in fourth grade so figure 46 years.)

the simple approach is this...

when the big needle on the gas gauge hits mid point
    the trip odo hits 100 km and the pump says "pay me 25 liters" ... simple isn't ???

25 liters in my boat's gas tank is 5 gallons imp. and 100 km is 62 miles yep 12.4 miles /imp. gallon...with receipts.

maths are ok and I can't do beans on the sponge ...

the dealer needs to do the fixing...! ;)
  • Options
    238000238000 Member Posts: 48
    I have a 2005 Tucson GLS and have about 19,500 miles on it having bought it in Feb of 2005. About 12,000 miles in November I began to notice a pronounced vibration while going up hills, but not so bad on flat surfaces. Checking with the dealer I was told that Hyundai was working on a fix and to call in Jan of 2006 to see if the fix was determined. Well, the fix was not in yet.The trouble was with the 4-wheel drive coupling, I was told. But, they said the car was safe to drive. Well, I wrote to Robert Cosmai, the CEO of Hyundai America with a cc to the president of the Hyundai agency. Well, I received 5 calls, two from Cosmai's office and three from the dealer. I was told to bring the car in, they had suddenly discovered a fix and after 5 days,it was fixed under warranty. The front axles had to be replaced. I was given a pretty nice loaner, and an oil change and spare key at no charge. I hope that the "fix" works I don't want to get killed in a defective car. You have to wonder how a car could be put together that way, Borg Warner system and all. I would not recommend a 2005 Tucson to anybody, I would not want anyone in my family to buy one. Maybe the 2006 models are better. Sad, since I really love the vehicle. Comments?
  • Options
    I have no evidence otherwise but I believe you had an isolated incident and wouldn't worry about the fix being a real fix. There are too many out there without this problem to be concerned about it being considered "a defective car". If this was a common problem this site would be buzzing with indignant posts about Hyundai being junk. Additionaly it seems that the dealer and Hyundai in general treated you "royally" while your car was being repaired so I wouldn't be too quick to "bad mouth" the car or the company...just go back to"loving it"
  • Options
    tucsonmantucsonman Member Posts: 1
    Try purchasing a K&N Air Filter. It gets me 2 to 4 miles more per gallon of gas. Also after around 6,000 to 12,000 miles you will get better gas mileage. I live in Florida, USA and get around 20 to 22mpg(City) and 23 to 24(Highway).
  • Options
    238000238000 Member Posts: 48
    I guess you're right, but after taking the car back to re-program the computer, where the dealer didn't call me about it, and the problem of the parking brakes, I'm sure the 2006 Tucson will have it all worked out, so we'll see. For now, the car is running fine, but you have to fight for your rights.
  • Options
    jimmynickjimmynick Member Posts: 3
    hey guys thanks for the posts re; the sand
    Be glad when this MPG topic blows over.....
  • Options
    Hey..I have a feeling the mpg topic ain't gonna go away soon...many more drivers using fuel(excessive fuel???) than running down the beach with them. Hah..
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    These discussions may be of interest:

What about fuel types & gas mileage?

K&N Air Filters, bolt-on power?

We also have a "SUVs for Beach Sand" discussion that's in cold storage while some forum reorganization is going on. Look for it to return when warmer weather does.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    sniper34sniper34 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know how to make the fog lites come on without having the headlites on? I want to run the fog lites with the parking lites. Thanks. CHAZ. :surprise:
  • Options
    pappcampappcam Member Posts: 2
    It can't be done unless you wanna rewire you new Tucson.

Fog lights without headlights look silly anyway IMO.
  • Options
    Gotta be a way to feed the fog lite relay thru the parking lite circuit. On my sons Focus it was a ten minute wire jump in the fuse box! Anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram for this circuit? :surprise:
  • Options
    depending on the state you are in it may be illegal and may not pass state inspection if your state has one. Additionally, these "fog lights" are annoying to other drivers..me included... when used indiscriminately. Why do some always think the manufacturer doesn't know best on designing these things and wish to re-engineer their car?
  • Options
    I'm not looking for a moral judgement on the use of fog lites, whether the company knows best or not, or even if it's legal. All I want to know( and right now it seems I never will) is if it can be done. That's all. I don't even think I would do it. It was just a , I thought, resonable question. :surprise:
  • Options
    flytedhyflytedhy Member Posts: 63
    Don't think the dealer has ever solved one issue with my 05 Tucson. Latest is 1700-1800 rpm idle on cold start. Thats too high to put an auto into drive. One time won't kill the tranny, but its not good for it. Since there's no check engine light, they are hesitant to replace anything. It takes 5 minutes for the idle to get down to 1200. I'm at the point of just leaving the vehicle at the dealer until its fixed. Owning the vehicle for a year, I'm of the firm position that their much advertised warranty is mostly worthless. Unless a part falls off the car, they won't replace it. This is my first and last Hyundai. Consumer reports got their rating correct, below average.
  • Options
    ask a question..any question, in any open forum and you will get the full range of answers including moral, and legal intpretations and everything in between. People, me included, will inject our personel feelings about any subject. Those damn fog lights blind me every single night on what seems to be every single vehicle...so my answer is tinged with indignation. Can it be done? who knows, not me. Should I pass on questions like this?...probably, but it will never happen.
  • Options
    Let me guess...your last car or several cars were trouble free (Toyota or Honda maybe). Even if there were some problems the dealer fixed them on the spot right? The idea of leaving it until repaired is good, that way it may actually get repaired. If it idles fast on a cold start it needs to be left for a ...cold start. Most dealers are understandably reluctant to throw $200-300 parts at a problem in the vague hope of fixing it. Just a question, how many repair issues could a 1 year old car have had??
  • Options
    hongkong3hongkong3 Member Posts: 1
    I come back to write to all of you...After 24.000 km Hyundai service change complete transaxle automatic on my car and after 42 days and 34.500 km error come again and today I return the car and I decide to never buy again this model.

Car start jumping when trying to change gear from 3 to 4 and CHECK light is ON. Car produce huge metal noise and something broke hard in transaxle. Gear remain in 3 and it was not possible to change in 2 or 4...like this I come at service...

Also many Tucson owner here in SLOVENIA have problems whit noise in front right or left part...they change one peace I dont know the name but this part is from gum in one metal ring...

Sad becuase I like this car.

Same mistake and dealer say to me today...sorry but we can't order again same car V6 2.7 whit automatic gear???

WHY? FACTORY ERROR of course.

Today I order a new VOLVO XC 90 5T and hope to be free of simmilar errors...Hope.

Nice regards to USA from Europe

BRanko

p.s. don't buy Tucson V6 2.7 whit automatic transaxle.NOOOO :cry:
  • Options
    rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    BRanko:
    Sorry to hear about your troubles with the Tucson. We have the 2.7 V6 GLS model here, and it's working perfectly. Wife drives it, and has put about 11,500 miles on it since August in mixed city and highway driving. We average about 22 miles to the gallon. Maybe you should speak with somebody at Hyundai-Europe about your problems -- somebody higher up than the dealer.
  • Options
    ffeingo2ffeingo2 Member Posts: 2
    I would not have driven the 9.5 MPG KIA for more than a week. Unless someone is tapping off your fuel tank you are washing all lubrication off your cylinder walls. What does your oil smell like? What color is your exhaust? how does it smell?

This is about 2006 Tucson MPG: Well now, I have a 2004 Diesel Sprinter Van which hauls a lot of my camping and boating gear and gets 27 MPG. Unfortunately it is rear wheel drive and even with four studded snows goes nowhere when carrying less than 8,000 pounds. So I went and got me a 2006 Tucson V6 AWD and put four studded snows on it. Superlative! less than 4,000 miles so far and getting 21 MPG mixed driving in cold weather in rural Massachusetts. It seems 2/3rds of new cars here are Tucsons. Owners speak well of them. If I do not get 24MPG on long trips at 63 MPH during this summer's warm weather, then I will make a fuss. I will take advice and put on the KN filters. I drive very much like a Brit circa 1948 and have always exceeded the EPA ratings. My only complaint so far is that backup lights are worthless. I will modify as soon as it gets warm. Will we ever get a diesel Tucson in the USA?
  • Options
    conjettconjett Member Posts: 8
    I agree, when will we get a diesel Tucson in the US???!! I want to get one and convert it into a grease car that will run off used vegetable oil.
  • Options
    AAAAAAA-MEN to that!! I'd LOVE a diesel Tucson (and a Sonata, too) just to run on biodiesel fuel or straight Vegetable Oil. We've got the means to drastically slash oil imports right now, but nobody is SCREAMING at our lawmakers to do anything about it. We need a lobby.
  • Options
    dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    Where are you going to fill up with biodiesel or vegetable oil? For the time being it might be better to push our lawmakers to raise mileage requirements for SUVs, which are currently unregulated. Then perhaps (in a few years) we might see Tucsons that go 30-40 miles on a gallon of gas like they aught to.

I'm all for alternative fuels but I think there's more that can be done in the short term before these fuels become widely available.
  • Options
    You can get good used vegetable oil from Chinese restaurants for free, which I hear they will gladly do since they have to pay for someone to come take theirs away. Then, you can store it in one of those empty metal barrels, install a pump and a water heater element to melt it enough to pump, and you are in business. A company called www.greasecar.com custom builds the tanks and lines to install the systems in your diesel, making it a different kind of hybrid. Speaking of hybrid, I'd love to see Hyundai make a hybrid diesel Tucson.
  • Options
    Regarding bio-diesel, I just heard the "Click and Clack" (Car Talk) show on public radio this past week-end and there is a bit of hassle involved with using it. I don't have all the details but you may need two fuel tanks with a mixer valve because as I remember you need to start the car with straight diesel and there may be other circumstances that pure diesel is needed. I would settle for a diesel period!!
  • Options
    although I am not entirely sure I don't believe SUV's are totally unregulated. But, regardless, regulated or not the market drives the SUV craze...people simply want (needed or not) large, heavy, boxy, complex drive line 4WD vehicles. These things are inherently poor fuel economy wise and no amount of regulation will make most SUV's efficient. I guess you can play with "hybrid" technology as some have but in order to gain a couple of mpg the pay-back cost becomes high. Diesel, in my opinion is a good way to gain fuel economy on these types of vehicles...most companies already sell diesel engines in the pick ups a lot of the larger SUV's are based on so it would be a simple matter to put them into their SUV's also. Additionally, in Europe, the middle east and others diesel rules on every type vehicle. Hyundai...Toyota..Honda and others already sell diesel SUV's there. What we really need is the gov't to start working on cleaner diesel fuels i.e. low sulfur. Then cleaner air will follow even from diesels. This, in my opinion, is a lot easier and quicker to do than develop new technology.
  • Options
    Yeah, you are right, targettuning. You do need two tanks. You need to initially start the vehicle running diesel because it needs to run for a minute or two while the tank with the vegetable oil (which is supposed to have a heating element inside it) heats up enough to melt the oil, then you hit a switch and it runs off the vegetable oil. One popular place to put the second tank is to have one custom made and install it in the spare tire compartment. To me, it would be hassle that'd be worth it.
  • Options
    dirtbagdirtbag Member Posts: 57
    "although I am not entirely sure I don't believe SUV's are totally unregulated"

True, SUVs aren't totally unregulated. They fit into the government requirement for light trucks (non-passenger vehicles) which is currently 21 mpg, while for passenger cars, it's 27 mpg. The averages in each category don't meet the requirements but that's another subject.

More pressure applied to automakers would encourage them to use lighter materials in SUVs and develop better engines. Without good regulation vehicles are made cheaply, to maximize profit, not fuel efficiency. It may not be possible to get 40 mpg with an SUV like the Tucson but what we do get could be improved quite a bit if all auto makers had to meet better requirements. Diesel might be one way to do it, but I hate the stink of most diesel engines.

By the way, I don't think there are enough Chinese restaurants to keep us all on the road. :)
  • Options
    ffeingo2ffeingo2 Member Posts: 2
    I am pleased at everyone's interest in diesel powered Tucsons. So now let us try to gather some information. I have owned three bought used VW Rabbit Diesels, but I do not think that experience is applicable to an AWD Tucson. I do still have in storage a rotted out 1984 Ford Sedan which was sold for only one year. It has a (I think) 1.9 litre Mazda Diesel Engine. I purchased this one well used. It got 43 mpg at all times; highway or rush hour in New York City. An absolutely magnificent power plant. The less said about what Ford did with it, the better. What are your favorite small diesels? What engine did you like? In the meantime I will try to find diesel Tucsons marketed elsewhere. Did I see one in Italy? Has anyone seen one?I will keep you posted. - Fred
  • Options
    We could get the ball rolling by writing to Hyundai requesting a diesel model Tucson. I searched the Web site and found only one e-mail address: consumeraffairs@hmausa.com

At least we should let the company know there's an audience for diesels.

Bob
  • Options
    bertilbertil Member Posts: 1
    Hej
    Here in Sweden we have one Hyundai Tucson diesel, It is a 2.0 liter CRDi. Lock at the Hyundai Sweden web site
    www.hyundai.se
    You can find all the specifications here.
    Fuel effiencenty for the diesel is 7.1 liter/100 km.

Bertil Jonsson
    Goteborg
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    Fantastic!! Bring the diesel version over :)