Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-7X

123457»

Comments

• burdette08burdette08 Member Posts: 1
    I own both a 2006 Saab 97-X and a 2003 Trailblazer. I could not disagree more about the above comment. There is NO comparison in my mind between the 2. I like both cars, but one is a luxury SUV and the other is a family SUV. And there is no way you are getting a loaded trailblazer for $19,000. You may be able to get a bland one with no upgrades. The Saab rides incredibly better, has more power, better sound system and overall seems to be made with much better quality and attention to detail. The trailblazer is what it is and nothing more.

So if you are looking for a luxury vehicle, go with the Saab. If you are looking for a family vehicle with no bells and whistles, go with the bland trailblazer. If you max out the trailblazer you will come to a price that is still less than the Saab but not that far off.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The $19,000 TrailBlazer I'm sure is a stripped down model.

I guess some people like myself are never going to get over the fact that the Saab SUV is TrailBlazer based.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Question: Why would Saab slap their badge on a Chevy Trailblazer and try to pass it off as one of their own?"

Saab 9-7X -- Death of a Brand (Karl on Cars)

Steve, Host
  • reservecabreservecab Member Posts: 5
    Saab advertises this engine's gas mileage at 15/19 and the 4.2L V6 at 15/21 saying the DOD engine on the 5.3L V8 goes into 4 Cylinder mode when not using all 8. My question is, for someone driving this car most in the city, can I trust that the 5.5L V8 gets the same city gas mileage as the 4.2L V6? I'm about to get one of these SUVs, but don't know which engine to get.
  • tgillmertgillmer Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 9-7X for a while. I love it and have had no problems with it at all. My buddy has a trailblazer and a rebadge it may be - but there's no comparison. I think a lot of these reviewers miss the boat when writing about the Saab. I really could care less if it was built in ohio, sweden, or mars. I like the style, interior and engine. Besides, from what I can tell every automaker rebadges their products. Anyone seen an Armada and a QX parked next to each other? How about a 4Runner and it's lexus twin? Look like rebadges to me. Plus the 9-7X was about 5K less than the Volvo and Touregg I test drove with the same amenities -- and those are the only factors that matter in which vehicle I will sign on the dotted line for.
  • tgillmertgillmer Member Posts: 2
    The DOD kicks in on the highway more so than the stop and go city. If you're worried mostly about gas I'd go always go with the smaller engine anyway. I have the 4.2 and it's plenty powerful. I'd love the 5.3 though.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    The QX56 and Armada are very alike. And yes they are, in my opinion, a definite rebadge job. I had one as a loaner last weekend and it made me want my regular car back...

The 4Runner and GX470 are also quite close. I'd also add the Land Cruiser and LX470 to the list of luxury rebadge jobs.
  • pitsterpitster Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I haven't visited this board in a while...

I didn't buy a 9-7x, but I also didn't buy anything else. For now I'm sticking with what I've got. I do like the 9-7x, and would go with the inline six. If they do cancel it, I might pick up one of the last ones just as they're blowing them out.

For now I'm no longer in the market. That is unless tragedy strikes and one of my two other cars gets stolen or otherwise written off.
  • thebrickthebrick Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just leased a 2006 9-7x, 5.3 V8. I love the looks of the exterior and interior. It drives alot better than the other GM SUVs on the same platform. It has excellent acceleration and handling (The turning radius is great). Our lease ended on our Saab 9-3 convertible, and we needed an SUV because we now have a baby. The 9-7x has the "Saab" feel that I loved in the convertible.
    Currently, my only complaint is a squeak coming from where the center stack meets bottom cupholder area. Squeak = GM product. I have an appointment to get it fixed. I decided to lease because I was unsure of the reliability and I wanted to see what Saab comes out with to replace the 9-7x in 2008 or 2009.
  • ynotnyynotny Member Posts: 3
    I'd like to think I could keep it as an extra car..but this was to be my main vehicle and I picked it in what I thought was a careful rational way.. WRONG...recently divorced and out of work I cant afford to take a heavy hit and the folks at SAAB wont even retun a phone call or laugh at me when I suggest a trade in. This THING eats gas and at current prices I am glad I don't have a lot of driving to do. I'm worried about repairs becaise it's already been such a problem. and yes the depreciation was almost $12,000 for the first year alone. insu is 1,800 a yr and I have an excell record....let's face it ...HUGE MISTAKE..but thanks anyway...
  • ynotnyynotny Member Posts: 3
    you're right..however this is the first car I've bought on my own since I was in my 20's ...too long ago...and my father at 86 was too old to ask for his aricraft engineer expertise. I knew nothing about the chassis design of the GM models or that they would leak on the INSIDE....I didn't have a clue this would be a problem. Yes, perhaps the first 7o% could have been determined prior, but lets face it...when you're in a dealership how much time do you spend checking every detail out...or perhaps I trusted the specs and what they told me as the truth. I didn't fold down the rear cargo space to see that it didnt fold flat..didn't notice there wasnt a flat spce to put anything or anywhere else for that matter..didn't know that cup holder was a joke or have a large drink to put in the cup holder. I also didn't know the bumper would CRUMBLE at a tap and would cost $1500 to fix and that the car would consistantly get such low mileage . How did I know ..test driving in the streets of NYc that the car wouldn't preform "like a sport car...and instead feel like a tank when trying to get to higher speeds or manuever on the hwy....regarding the recalls...I would prefer to tell you in an e-mail..I like my service rep..he has been the only good thing in this whole debacle....
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • sasukesasuke Member Posts: 77
    How is the lease program with this car. Seems to be hard to find any info/talk on it.
  • driverofcarsdriverofcars Member Posts: 7
    I'm about 3 months in on my lease, and man oh man do I regret getting a 9-7x.
    It's been a frustrating combination of bad design, bad service, and bad mileage; an overall terrible choice.
    Perhaps I'm spoiled having had Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus and BMW's, but the Saab/GM service, knowledgebase and design quality is profoundly lower on my 9-7 than on any other car I've owned.
    Some of the problems: Broken drivers seat, radio, bluetooth (GM installed), seals (body work issues...), electronics, light sensors, accessories (nobody at Saab seems to know how to order a cargo net), and other things, I could go on but won't.
    But the KING big daddy issue: the Saab redesign of the Trailblazer/Envoy back seat- the stuffing and 60/40 split leaves the seat at an angle which makes the LATCH system all messed up- so a child seat is askew and cannot be properly installed. Very frustrating as this was going to be our larger-big-safe car with our new baby, only to find out it's really flawed in so many design areas. Maybe the back seat was damaged the way the drivers seat was but nobody at Saab has any answers (let me back up- it felt like the driver's seat was canted heavily, they said there was no problem, one person told me it will 'break-in', I measured it with a level against other 9-7's and saw it was way off, so I finally, after 3rd try with service got to them to admit there was a problem, they took the seat off, and the way it was attached was all bent so they finally fixed it...).
    How I wish I forked over the extra loot to get a BMW or at least a similarly priced Volvo. I could have saved and gotten a Pilot, CR-V, anything. This car is a bust.
    And the kicker? The Saab service department is abysmal. Car has been in repeated times for the same thing. They are all nice enough in person, but probelms aren't solved- it feels like they are straddled with a defective car so they go through the motions knowing it won't ever get fixed right.
    When I get some free time I'd sure love to see if Honda or BMW will help me get out of this lease. Granted, it's somewhat inexpensive as GM has created artifical depreciation to get the lease I have, but it wasn't worth it- not even at $50 more a month ($50 x 27 months = $1350 I'd gladly pay to have a good car in the first place). Having a kissy kissy salesperson tell you to be sure to give them high ratings when I'm contacted by GM is intolerable in hindsight, especially when they become unreachable after the deal is closed.
    Oh well, at least it is comfortable and the stereo sounds nice as it mercilessly gulps fuel.
    Well, an update.
    Lots continues to go wrong with my 9-7.
    Electronics, seats, AC/Heat....
    I was stopped at a light next to another person drving a 9-7 who said they loved their car but hated the constant flow of problems as well.
    'Nuff said avoid the 9-7.
  • xxgrzesxxxgrzesx Member Posts: 9
    Maybe its lemon, you should sue them. It's painless process. My father in law sued Chrysler. He went to two attorneys, one wanted pay hour pay, the other stated that under Illinois law he will collect from Chrysler if he wins, if he does not he would pay court costs ($300). Chrysler settled he got around $6,000.
  • waterdrwaterdr Member Posts: 307
    Funny...read the Honda and Toyota forums.....tons of problems there too. My neighbor across the street has a Honda Accord which he is sueing Honda under the Lemon Law. Car has been in the shop 18 times since July. Go figure.

While my Saab has not been perfect, I have never been treated better, ever by any service department.
    Well.. 13k update.
    Haven't had any more problems.
    Actually, the car is a pleasure to drive except for the abysmal 12MPG I'm getting.
    Handled great in the snow. Super comfortable to drive.
    Brought it into service, and they fixed some busted stuff for free that they didn't need to and were super nice. I get the sense management got hip to the garbage service and overhauled policies.
    Well, I'm not getting another 12MPG car, but after the unreal slew of problems, it's been pretty good.
    Fit and finish is still awful, but it's been a decent car the last few months.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Don't feel too bad about the mpg. I have a Jag X-Type AWD with the 3.0L engine and it isn't doing much better at this time of year. I think the cold weather and short trips are putting me at about 17mpg. It also doesn't help that the gasoline is 10% ethanol, as that decreases mpg.

It'll be nice when we have some diesel choices.
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Question?Just what kind of gas mileage do you think drivers of VW Touaregs,Volvo XC-90'S,BMW X-5'S,etc,etc, (equipped with similar output engines)are achieving?Did you do any research before purchasing a 4,800 lb.,AWD vehicle with a 6,500 lb.towing capacity?Your posts seem to presume you have a "unique" problem,My impression is you purchased what is generally considered a very good version of a traditional body-on-frame SUV and you would have been better served and happier with one of the newer unibody "X-Over" vehicles such as the Mazda CX-9 or every soccer moms vehicle of choice the Lexus RX-350 series!
    Also very few reviews fault the overall fit and finish of the vehicle,yours may be the exception to the rule.I did get a chuckle out of your commenting that the fit and finish was"still bad".....did you expect little elves to work on your vehicle at night while you slept?
  • eghsveghsv Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I just found this forum and am looking for any help on a wind noise problem on the passenger door at highway speeds. I know this is not "a real SAAB", but it is what it is. I don't have problem with this being a re-badged something. I love how it drives and rides. No Envoy or TB, I drove, rides like this guy. I have had the window molding replaced on both rear door windows. That has reduced the noise some, but I think the door frame is the real problem. My wife can't hear the radio or talk on the phone while riding in the passenger set.
    I have read different blogs about "bending the door frame", the "dealers don't know how to deal with it" at all. What I am looking for a is a real solution here. I have talked various dealers and they all either don't know or how to deal with this.

Any help would appreciated..
  • mmamma Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 9-7x Aero. After owning 3 saabs and a Cayenne S, I figured the 9-7x Aero would be something in between. I know it is a trailblazer, but I figured Saab would soften it up and make it more Saab like. I also didn't expect it to be as refined as the Cayenne, but I didn't want to pay for the Cayenne this time. Boy was I wrong, it's a Hot Rod Truck. Loud, rough riding fast as heck. I love it.
  • superclyde911superclyde911 Member Posts: 5
    Well had it for five months and it has 5,000 miles. Yes, I love the kick in the pants feel from the 6.0 V-8. In all respects it looks like a Saab (the interior design is great!) but the fit and finish is classic American automaker (ala GM/Chevy)- poor to crappy and very "plasticky".

The real pain with my SUV is that it makes an incessant whining and grinding from the rear differential. The dealer is working on it now but they said the repair may take a while to isolate and then remedy- why? Anyone else have this same problem? :(
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    Unfortunatley, the Traverse, Outlook, Enclave and Acadia aren't replacements.
  • lka1224lka1224 Member Posts: 6
    wow, thanks for all of your posts. i was looking to pull the trigger on a brand new 9-7x (2008) Aero that the dealership seems to be dying to get rid of. With minimal negotiation they were down to 29,500, but with all the headaches, GM build, gas mileage, etc i think i'll have to use my brain instead of my emotion. i'm a saab guy coming to the sad realization that i don't know if i'll ever buy a saab again :(
  • cmcbrayercmcbrayer Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into to buying a 2006 Saab 9-7X and wanted to get some feedback about vehicle.
    1. How is the reliability of the vehicle? I have not found any reliability information for the 9-7X after about 20,000 miles.
    2. Will a GM dealership work on the vehicle or must you take to a Saab dealer.
    3. Is this vehicle even worth purchasing since I was reading the company is filling for bankruptcy protection and GM is finding a way to cut them loose.
    4. Finally does anybody still own the 9-7X from a purchase in 05' or 06? If you still own, what has been your experience?
  • jjr6jjr6 Member Posts: 5
    I just learned a tough lesson on impulse buying. The dealer knocked $17 grand off the sticker of a 9-7x and ate 4 months of my lease trade in. Within the first few miles I found the vehicle shakes and flexes over bumps and uneven pavement. The front end has the feeling of cowl shake, that side to side jiggle feeling which is also felt in the steering wheel. I can only compare the feeling to that of a cheap Plymouth convertable I used to own. A local Saab dealer checked it and said everything seems fine. I can put up with the whinny rear-end noise or the transmission that can't decide what gear it should be in. But that side to side jiggle angers me more with each bump in the road. Is anyone else feeling this or is there something wrong with mine alone?
    Have you experimented with the tire pressures?
    I thought the same Steve. All tires are 32 psi like the sticker calls for.
    Since the dealer isn't being helpful, maybe you can find someone to put it on a lift and go over the bolts and suspension parts. Maybe there's a defective motor mount.

Oh, you could ask to test drive another one like yours and see if it wallows or not. Maybe that would convince the service writer to take another look.

And one more thing - try an Advanced Search here for "TrailBlazer shake" or similar under Search Forums on the right, and tell the search to look in SUVs. There's not that many posts that look like they could be related to your problem, but there are a few (sway bar problems, etc.). Since the platforms are similar, maybe one of those posts will trigger something.
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    Something is wrong. Should be no side to side, or front end shake - at least not on the pavement - nor any whining in the rear end. Have the tires been checked (not for pressure but for other problems)? or rotated?

As far as gear selection, my 5.3 is okay. The only thing I don't like is the kickdown when accelerating.

I have 35000 km on my 08 and the only problem I had was with the thump problem in the rear differential which is a common problem and fixed under warranty. Other than that it has been solid.
  • mrsdaisymrsdaisy Member Posts: 1
    I sure hope you didn't buy that Saab :( I have a 2006 and my biggest issue with this car is the wind noise. It's so loud that I when hubby and I ride in the car we're practically screaming at each other. There are few things that I do like about the car, the seating comfort and the way it corners (boy does it corner!) and I love the kick it has when you need it, but the road noise, wind noise and the crappy tires that came with this "luxury" vehicle, BIG disapointment... We're are just waiting for the lease to finish on this car and we'll be back at the Audi dealer in a flash!
  • lg2207lg2207 Member Posts: 28
    Ok guys- I've been perusing the posts; opinions are appreciated- thinking of trading my '07 Mazda 6 (tons of problems) for an SUV to take to VT regularly and something the kids will be comfortable with on long trips. Looking at late model ('08-'09) certified vehicles. I know its a GMC Envoy etc............... The posts are pretty varied. I think I could swing a great deal as there seems to be plenty of new and certified stock within 200 miles of my north jersey address. Just not sure if there will be tons of headaches or not with this vehicle.
    Thanks
    Hope I'm not too late with this message. Don't buy it! This is absolutely the worst vehicle I ever owned. Ask yourself why a manufacturer would sticker a car for 43k and sell it for 26k. Why do they sit on dealers lots for months with no interest? Could be because cars like this are part of the reason GM finds itself in trouble. In just 2 months this car developed more issues than National Geographic! By the time Saab had the brain fart and decided to pass off a Chevy as some European luxury vehicle, Buick, Olds and Isuzu had already discontinued selling their version of the same platform. By all means, if you don't mind feeling every bump in the road through the steering wheel, howling wind noise, whinny rear end, brakes that go clunk and a transmission that can't decide what gear to be in, you may consider a 9-7X. Do yourself a favor and read the reviews by Consumer, Car & driver. Road and track etc. Body on frame, outdated 4 speed transmission, solid beam rear all prove to be far outdated. There are so many better SUV's on the market. If you for some reason you still want one you better hurry. GM has come to there senses and pulled the plug on this nightmare. I traded mine in after just 2 months and guess what. It sat on the dealer's lot for months before they finally wholesaled it!
  • jayc1951jayc1951 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 9-7x that has developed a squeeky rattle when driven over un-even surfaces. It has gotten louder over the past 12 months. The dealer has checked it twice and tightened some motor mounts and other things but has not rectified the problem. This past week, while in for service, we pointed out the problem again. We even went with the technician, who said he didn't here it, on a road test. Well, it squeeked before we got out of the dealership. After putting it up on the rack, the said they believed it was internal to the catalytic converter, which is not covered under our extended warranty/service plan. Has anybody else had this problem. We really do like the car. It is more fun and confortable than our previous Explorers.
    Mine was an 09 and I hated it the first day! I must have gone to the same tech because he found nothing wrong with mine either! I wonder how much they get paid! We went with checking the bolts and motor mounts. All ok. Still jiggled the steering wheel under uneven pavement. My theory, in a feeble attempt to set it apart from the Chevy Trailblazer, they over rated the springs. This really rattles the suspension. Squeeks usually come from where the rack bolts to the frame. Try spraying a liberal amount of WD40 in that area. If the squeek does not go away, you'll need to play the radio louder!
  • snaab93snaab93 Member Posts: 2
    My parents had the first year Trailblazer when it was still just the top trim level on the S-10 Blazer, they traded that in a Buick Rainer and now own a Buick Enclave. In all the time they owned these SUV's they only trouble they ever had was replacing an alternator in the Blazer.
    In that time they've owned those three GM vehicles I've had the same Saab 9-3 Viggen coupe. I love the Saab but I've racked up about six thousand dollars in repairs since owing it. It's 13 years old now and has 130K miles and needs about another two thousand dollars to make it roadworthy. That and all the rattles and squeaks it has acquired and a growing family is forcing me to get rid of my little sports car and get a bigger SUV type vehicle.
    I've looked at Subarus, Honda Pilots & CRV's, Mitsubishi Monteros, Lexus RX, Volvo XC 70 and 90s and Toyota Highlanders. A Saab 97x was the farthest from my mind until I found a 2005 4.2L with less than 50k miles on it. It has all the features and/or more and is five thousand dollars cheaper and has 50% less miles than any comparable vehicle.
    All the complaints on this thread seem to be from people who don't even own one and are just mad at the rebranding issue or expect Mercedes or Lexus fit and finish for half the price. I haven't heard one valid complaint about reliability.
    Is there anyone still on this board? I'm thinking of rolling the dice and trading in the 9-3 for the 9-7X unless anyone can have a valid complaint about engine and drivetrain failures.
    Dude! I did have the misfortune of owning a 9-7X. It ranked the worst vehicle I ever owned and not because it was a rebadge. It was because it sucked! The motor was the only thing I had no complaints about. Unfortunatly, if they had just rebadged the trailblazer and left it alone it may have been ok but in a misguided attempt to set it apart they over rated the front springs for what they called a more sporty feel. The result was a vehicle that bounced all over the road and shook the steering wheel with every bump! Read the thread to see what the other issues were. Read the reviews from 07, 08, 09. Then ask yourself how many 9-7X's you see on the road. There's a reason for that! It's the same reason Sabb no longer exsists.
  • snaab93snaab93 Member Posts: 2
    Well I went ahead and traded in the Viggen for the 9-7x. So far it's the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. My only complaint so far is the gas milage (which is about the same for any of the other luxury SUVs I was looking at) and the seats don't hug like the bucket seats I'm used to so I slide when cornering.
    What other vehicles are you comparing it too? The ride is a bit stiff but nothing compared to my Saab 9-3 Viggen or BMW 323i Sport Wagon.
  • lovetodrive55lovetodrive55 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 9-7X 5.3i, and have totally LOVED this vehicle. The drive, the nice hefty secure feel, the handling -- boy does it corner, the pick up when I want to pass, the inside luxury items (killer Bose speakers), not to mention that when I need to do a U-turn it takes me only 2 lanes to accomplish due to the 18.5-to-1 steering ratio. I had to have the throttle body replaced at only 20,000 miles but that was under warranty so no biggie. Love that when we go to the lake, the air pump for the water toys! Plenty of cargo capacity when we take road trips -- truly cannot say enough about how nice it is to drive this vehicle! And now ... it's even paid for!!!!!
    Why are you getting rid of it?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Maybe... he is sorry to see Saab go? (in general).. :confuse:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator