Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra New Owner Reports

Comments

• ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    Here's two headlines from Nikkei News. One has to be a subscriber to read the stories.

Friday, February 17, 2006
    05:27 - Hitachi Firm Develops Compressor For Hydrogen Filling Stations

04:21 - DuPont-Teijin Venture Develops Capacitor For Large Hybrid Vehicles

This bears out my suggestion that hybrid vehicles will lead to important capacitor advances.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Folks, this is a Forum in which we're discussing the 07 Tundra. I'm puzzled by the recent series of posts. Let's please stick to specific discussion about this upcoming redesign. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• "A guy over on the blogs mastered a photoshop of what the crew cab should look like. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121001&page=2. Scroll down this page 2 and see the pic. I think it's very accurate indeed."

interesting... ironically, I got to sit in one the other day, and I thought it was a MEGAcab... looked just like this, and you could have smuggled in half of Mexico in the back seat. I'm not sure if it was one intended for production, or a prototype, but I gave it the thumbs down in my review. I just can't understand why people think they need locomotives to carry a couple bags of fertilizer from Home Depot. I'd have been more impressed if they had said they were going to build a version of the access cab with a diesel.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    It should have the 403HP 6.2 from the Escalade. I'm not feelin' the looks of the Tahoe/Escalade, so I don't expect much out of the style dept. The Ram is still the Stud of the class, based on looks. The F-150 will age well, too.

DrFill
  • pjalnpjaln Member Posts: 8
    i wonder if they will offer it like the big 3 do,that is 4x4 without xtra cab and bench seat ,and able to handle an 8 foot plow ,is it 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton.i dont like that console down the middle which means just 2 up front not good for me and a lot of guys using there trucks for work

paul
  • iqbaldhillon2iqbaldhillon2 Member Posts: 116
    I love the way the new Tundra looks, but they should really consider adding HD models to their line up. This would definatly run the Big 3 out of ideas. I hope they will have it by 2010 or 2011.
  • motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Actually it is coming around 2010 or 11 or maybe even sooner. I believe the HD will get a V10 Turbo Diesel with close to 700 lb ft of torque.
  • joestatixjoestatix Member Posts: 11
    Looks like they crossed a Ford and a Dodge and came up with that. I wdnt touch it with a ten foot pole. I'm sorry toyota is noted for rice burners and rice rockets. This thing looks to much like a toy not like a truck. I have a feeling this will be the city boy truck.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I'm sorry toyota is noted for rice burners and rice rockets."

Actually, Toyota is known WORLD WIDE for the quality of their trucks. And this has been the case for decades.

I'm curious about something however; if the Toyota looks like a cross between a Ford and a Dodge (the two 'beefiest' looking full-size trucks on the market IMO), how is it that it ALSO looks like a toy? The only way this makes sense is if you think the Ford and Dodges look like toys as well.
    I can smell your fear.

DrFill
    I think the horsepower and torque stats on the new Tundra will be greater than the Dodge Ram. Or atleast matched up to it. I expect 340 horsepower and 390 pound foots torque.
    I could be wrong though, it might even have more.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    I've heard the '4' number bandied about. Wouldnt that be a hoot.
  • dreasdaddreasdad Member Posts: 276
    There will not be an access cab truck in the 2007, there will be a small double cab and a big double cab
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yep, think Ram Quad Cab and Ram Mega Cab.

Bob
  • pudpud Member Posts: 1
    The new tundra looks pretty good but it would look a lot better if it were offered with a 6 speed manual as well as an automatic. That would make me think Toyota is finally serious about getting into the big truck market. I also wish somebody would offer a big truck with manual hubs and manual shift lever for the transfer case. I think they would sell well and the truck would get better fuel mileage as well as having the front end last longer and actually go into 4WD all the time. I have owned 3 Tundras and didn't like any of the automatic 4WD shifters. Of course Toyota and all the rest of them will try to tell people it is better so they can sell more junk to wear out faster so they can sell you the newest model loaded with even more junk to wear out. I also don't like the fact that you can't even put tire chains on the front of the Tundras I have owned. It is kind of embarrassing to have a 1974 Ford with a worn out 360 go by a new Tundra because they can be chained up on all 4 wheels. It might not be important to somebody in California but it is very important to people who use the truck in the hills in snow country. I own 1981 and 1984 Toyota trucks and wouldn't trade either one of them for all 3 of the Tundras I have owned. I also feel the Tundras I have owned have had the worst quality interiors of any of the new trucks as far as rattles squeaks and other weird noises. I use new Ford and Dodge diesels to pull trailers and they both seem to have a lot better quality dash. I would love to see Toyota build a new version of the 1979-1985 with the new 2.7 4 cylinder engine, hubs, locking differential option and no anti-lock brakes and use the old reliable solid front axle. They could build the exact same truck from year to year with out changing anything except for emission upgrades and I think they would really sell well to people who need a tough little truck.
  • topcoptopcop Member Posts: 3
    Ugly front.
    Better from rear angle, but can't back up all the time. Should have "dodged" that front end.
    Since car design is years in advance of production, it would be hard to know what the market conditions will be, but I'm done with big, huge, overweight styling. They look gas hungry, heavy, cumbersome. I'll wait for a slimmer trimmer look that does the job without extra bulk.
  • schmedlyschmedly Member Posts: 44
    I agree with pud bove about putting in manual transmission. Offer it and it will sell. For those that feel that this truck is ugly or can't compete with the the domestiocs, then you haven't seen it in person. I'm a Dodge owner and a satisfied one at that. I think it looks aggressive and crisp while still having some degree of aerodynamics.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    As an owner of 05 Tundra Doublecab, I think Toyota blew it with the new and bigger size 07 Tundra truck. It's way TOO BIG! I thought my DC was big, but to sit and drive in a bigger size truck is pointless.

When Ford came out with Excursion to compete against Suburban, I knew Ford blew it! Bigger isn't always better. Sure enough, there was no demand for the Excursion.

It'll be interesting to see how well Tundra will sell. If the new Tundra is bigger, would the Sequoia be just as big? That would turn off lots of women drivers.....IMO
    The only thing good that I see from the Tundra getting this large, is that it might have a GVW somewhere between 7K and 8K, splitting the difference between current 1/2-tons and HD 3/4-ton trucks.

Why is this good? It will allow the Tacoma to grow (in width) to better address those cross-shopping the Tacoma with Ridgelines. The big advantage of the Ridgeline is the bed is wide enough to lay plywood flat on the floor. I truly believe these new "midsize" pickups could become the "new" 1/2-tons. The only thing holding them back is this lack of 48+" between the bed wheelwells.

As to the Sequoia getting larger? Count on it. In fact I bet the next Land Cruiser will be a SWB version of the next Sequoia, much as the Tahoe is a SWB version of the Suburban. I haven't heard anything to support this, but it just makes sense IMO.

Bob
    The size is a BIG issue in these vehicles. ( dumb pun ) In order to comptete in the entire market the Tundra has to be the same size as the other 3. Otherwise it's just not taken seriously. It's unfortunate but it's the state of the market now. Will the Taco take over what the original Tundra had, maybe.

Can they have a smaller version of the Tundra for the current owners and a larger version for the new market in the West and South? This also remains to be seen.
    I think the Tacoma could evolve into a T-100-sized vehicle. By that I mean wide enough to carry plywood flat on the bed floor, much like the Ridgeline.

Bob
  • daraghdaragh Member Posts: 2
    You can easily spot the rednecks on these forms, die hard ford or die hard checy etc. The motor companies have depended on this blind loyalty for years! I'm about to buy my first pick-up so I'm certainly not an expert. I am however an engineer and just looking back over the years at the reliabilty of individual manufactures then toyota comes out miles ahead of Ford, GM, Dodge etc. Toyota has being building trucks and selling trucks for decades, it just hasnt been selling them in the US for that long. But take a look at the forums and see the complaints, ford chevy and dodge will all have a significant amount of reliability complaints. All makes and models will have a certain number of failures its impossible to test everything to the extent to weed out all weak components, well its possible but I'm sure you as I dont want to pay $100k for a Tundra or an F-150 etc. People will always have diferent tastes and that cool so some people prefer ford or toyota or dodge (God only knows why you could like a dodge...) but in comparing value for money leave asthetics and personal bias at the door. Toyota in general as with honda provides a far more robust and valuable product than ford or GM or dodge do or can. Anyhow I'm going to wait for the new Tundra to come along and test drive it. I do like the F-150 but its too pricey for what you get and is a ford so I'll most likely have to replace several components evry year! that said I might hate teh ride of the tundra, but please leave brand loyalty at home its boring and it makes you look stupid!
  • 774774 Member Posts: 101
    I bought my first Toyota in 2001, a Sequoia And I35 in 2004. I will wait for the 2007 Tundra and would never consider buying another ford.The E150 conversion van was a nightmare with numerous design and componet problems. The Grand Marquis was also a problem from the transmission ie torque converter to power windows breaking. The Toyota and the Infiniti have been problem free. The problem with Ford products is they do not correct problems discovered in a model but continue the defective design or part into the next model year.The quality of the Toyota or the Infiniti is light years ahead of Ford based opon having owned two fords bought new.My loyalty is to a quality product which is something ford does not produce.
  • sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    That explains why Toyota owner tend to be older. Because those are the people with all the experiences (bad ones) through out the year and finally realize there is no better car company like Toyota.
    I could not have said it better, Toyota is the best vehicle over all that I have ever owned. I do plan to buy a 2007 4 door Tundra and will wait for it to come out next year.My past experience with ford and GM products compels me to buy Toyota for quality and reliabilty.
  • brentski1brentski1 Member Posts: 7
    "As an owner of 05 Tundra Doublecab, I think Toyota blew it with the new and bigger size 07 Tundra truck. It's way TOO BIG! I thought my DC was big, but to sit and drive in a bigger size truck is pointless."

Uh NEWS FLASH!! Some of us actually buy trucks so we can use them as trucks!! Bigger means you can tow more and carry more. Of course, if you're using your truck as a city truck, then yeah you may be right. LOL : )
  • subarufan1subarufan1 Member Posts: 85
    i owned both ford f350 and 85 toyota xtra cab and i must say the toyota never ever ever died on me or let me down . i think the new toyota truck will be great if they can keep the prices on par with domestic trucks and keep the fit and finish well above domestic trucks. also things like 4 speed trannys on the ford 150 is such old school technology the new toyota is doing things right this time. really high stepping gm ford and dodge. but for heavy duty ford super duty is still best :P
  • melamanmelaman Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a new pick up, as I have bought a travel trailer and need a truck to tow it. Now any pick up wood do for my 27foot trailer but. I have some things to consider. I would like to keep it a long time. I may want to up grade the trailer in 5 or so years and do not want to up grade the truck. I was originally thinking of an F250 diesel. It would have the capacity for me to upgrade trailers.
    But I am liking the size of the 07 Tundra with the 5.7 I force V-8.
    Gas or diesel is still a debate for me.
    One thing I do know for sure is the ratings from consumer reports. Toyota is and has been glowing for years. While Ford, GM, & Dodge have a ways to go to catch up in regards to quality, but they are the only ones to make a heavy duty models. What to buy???
    :confuse:
    The ford will not last without lots of problems as ford does not care about the quality of thier produts. I am talking from having owned two ford products bought new.The new 2007 Tundra might be your best bet if it will tow what you need to tow.The Nissan Titan could also be a consideration but they have had some serious problems with brakes, undersized rotars.I do not know if they fixed the problem in newer models.My 2001 Sequoia had undersized rotars which was fixed the first time by Toyota at a cost of 2000 dollars that Toyota paid.The vehicle has been problem free since
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I believe that Nissan has taken care of the brake issue on their Titan trucks. They also equip these trucks with finned aluminum rear differential cover for better oil cooling (they had some differential failures when towing heavy trailers). Ford is not the only problematic domestic make. GM is known for using defective components in their vehicles for years. For example, the intermediate steering shaft on Chevy trucks is defective in design and GM has been using the same defective part for years, including the '06 models, knowing fully that these components will not live past the 30 k miles mark without causing steering wheel bouncing and vibration. They devised a Mickey Mouse lubrication bandaid for these shafts. Another one is the rear differential yoke famous for its clunk. Again, greasing it with different grease instead of building a new part with tighter tolerances, is the "solution". A/C systems in Chevy trucks make a gurgling noise quite audible inside the cab and GM has not replaced the known defective A/C component that causes this problem to date. And worst of all, the infamous piston slap issue on many 5.3 and 6.0 liter V8 engines has been merely bandaided, not fixed. And read about the complaints about terrible quality General tires installed on many new GM trucks, and GM stubbornly refusing to switch to another brand. I have seen photographs of chunks of thread missing on these tires on a Chevy truck with about 3k miles. How can somebody have a blind loyalty to these vehicles when faced with these facts?
    I have owned several GM products over the years and thought a moderate amount of problems was to be expected.I am not surprised about the problems you listed with GM products.Ford has been for me the absolute WORST vehicle I have ever owned.Once you buy a Toyota,Honda, or Nissan product you have a diffcult time considering GM Dodge Or ford. The General tires issue is also 100 % accurate at least with my experience.I had two blow outs on I 95 with those tires that came with a new ford conversion van that once owned.The tires at the time of faliure had less than 18,000 miles on them and looked ok. I will stay the Toyota Product based opon demonstrated quality I have experienced first hand.I am also impressed by Toyota fixing a problem discovered in the first model year of the 2001 Sequoia and not sticking to me like ford did on two vehicles.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I had a blow out involving an almost brand new General tire about 15 years ago. I was doing only about 65 MPH on I-95 at the time. The tire sidewall split and I almost wrecked the car. I drifted across both lanes to the shoulder, fortunately there was no traffic next to me. Ever since that day I have avoided General tires like the plague.
    I am with you and avoid General Tires like the plague having two of them blow out.The sad fact is the tire at the time was not cheap about 120 a tire back in 1990. I also avoid fords like the plague.
  • bobob20032000bobob20032000 Member Posts: 69
    When I drove my Toyota Avalon I got a flat. The car was only 8 years old with only 100K miles. Toyota has bad batteries too. Also the paint is already scratched up. The rear light bulbs burned out and so did my left speedometer.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Well, you were LUCKY!

I've noticed that when I drive on dirty roads, my Celica gets dusty. What's up wit that? And just yesterday I HAD TO PUT GAS IN IT.

But what really irks me is the leather shift boot is looking a bit worn and frayed. Same with a spot on the steering wheel. Yes, the car is nearly 7 years old with 140k miles BUT THAT'S NO EXCUSE.

Your rear light bulbs burned out? SO DID MINE! When I had the car inspected a couple of months ago, they noted the license plate bulbs were burned out. Sounds like a major defect since your Avalon did the same thing. My left speedometer is okay but I noticed my front brake lights are acting weird.....but maybe it's just me.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    You guys are cracking me up. I think you've got the makings of a class-action lawsuit on your hands... Toyota and their endless defects ;)

Let's stray back to talking about the 07 Tundra, if we may.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

My Tacoma has dirty brake fluid, and expired tags!

They jipped me! LOL!

I personally am very disappointed in the next Tundra's interior. Can I get them to pick a theme, or a color, and build an interior to match? What's with the Neopolitan Ice Cream motif?

If this thing can really tow 10k lbs, and has anything near 350HP, they will sell all they can build!

DrFill
  • subarufan1subarufan1 Member Posts: 85
    i hope they have the oil filter real easy to reach up top likke the previous year, another example of good [non-permissible content removed] design :shades:
  • sik99sik99 Member Posts: 23
    This 07 yota has definately sparked my interest. I think the interior design is great. Its actually geared toward the driver. I'm 6'5" and usually have my seat back aways for leg room. Having most of the column controls on the drivers side of the dash is BRILLIANT. I'm definately hoping for a telescoping wheel in this. Diesel would also be an interesting addition. :blush:

One thing i'm confused on though is people have mentioned this is going to compete with the f-150. I thought the current truck was doing that and the 07 model was supposed to actually be "full size". Since when are 1/2 tons full size? :surprise:

-SiK99
    Since when are 1/2 tons full size?

The so-called "1/2-ton" has always been a full-size truck; Chevy Silverado, Ram 1500, F-150, Titan and Tundra.

Bob
  • sc_mikesc_mike Member Posts: 5
    My wife only got 128k miles from her Avalon. Then we sold it to her niece and she has only gotten another 60k out of it. I sure hope it gets her back from school today. Dang muffler had to be replaced at 140k too.....
    Dang muffler had to be replaced at 140k too.....

what do you expect when you drive it on the beach through seawater...sheesh. Did you have 4 Lo engaged? ( Button in the glove box )
    This truck looks great. This is more like it. For years Toyota never even came near a true Fullsize truck. Finally they have proved themselves to me. I can't wait to see this truck next year.I have a 2005 Tacoma and I am looking to trade it in for a fullsize truck and the Tundra is what I want so far. We will see next summer which truck lands on the top of my list.(Maybe 2007 Silverado).
  • shelbydog25shelbydog25 Member Posts: 18
    Easy there wild cat! I've owned them all, Ford, Chevy, ect ect... and have visited to many a Ford, Chevy, Nissan, Toyo truck forums on the web to see all have there share of issues... some more than others (hence, the domestic versus Japanese reliability battles)... believe it or not, Your Brand loyalty is showing! :surprise: I currently own a Toyo Seq. and Dodge mega cab... love em both but for different reasons. Has the Seq been bullet proof? No, it's been back to the shop 2x.. (the dodge, not yet). The Toyo has the infamous rear window motor failure(s). First the dealer says it was a "computer malfunction"...sure I said, see you soon for a new motor, .... 1 week later I'm back at the dealer getting a new motor (oh, by the way, it's a 2005 Seq... so how often does a rear window get rolled down in 1.5 years). Anyhow, does that make the Seq bad? No. But all vehicles, to include toyo have some issues, some more than others. It all depends on what your needs are. Will I buy another Toyo, for reliability, you bet! Did my Ford powerstroke have Freight train power over any powerplant Toyo puts out? You bet! Is the "new" Dodge Ram megcab absolutely huge, with an awesome powerplant in the Hemi, with an all new interior that's plush! you bet! (take a test drive for fun,they've come along way). But if you buy for resale, go Toyo. But if you tow, the Toyo's aren't even in the same yard as the domestics, with a towing capacity at 6,500lbs, that's pretty anemic by today's V-8 standards... Wait, before you think it, yes, If the 2007 Tundra has the numbers I've seen (380hp, 10,000+ towing), it'll give the domestics a run for their money, but don't discount the infamous "first year bugs" on your darling Toyo... Check the numbers, Toyo's recalls and TSB's have gone up exponentionally with their increased sales... just a fact, the more you build, the more potential problems...(ie: Ford/Chevy outsells F-150 to Tundra, say what? 5-7 to 1 or more). so they see more TSB's and recalls. Bottom line, would I buy another Toyo for longevitey, you bet! But nothing, not even the "new Tundra will haul back seat passengers like my megacab. Trust me, I really researched the "new" Tundra hard, while bigger that previous editions, it didn't beat out the megacab in cab space...(and yes, it has sun roof, DVD, ect ect)... Again, it's all in what you need.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    with your Mega Cab? No one has even seen the largest 07 Tundra cab configuration yet.

It is impossible to research it "hard" as you say with so little info available as of yet. ???
    True as far as physical inspection... there's still enough info out there online on the 07's to get a pretty good idea as to what the cab interior styling/size will be... (obviously the powertrain numbers are not in stone, but some of the numbers being discussed are pretty impressive). I wouldn't base a decision without first driving one.. Not here to sell someone a Dodge, just suggesting one make his/her decision on what your needs are and go from there... just keep in mind the 1st year bugs... ie: look at the 2000-2003 Honda/Acura transmission issues on th 5 spd.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    the largest Tundra cab size to be? Just curious if you had sources I had not seen yet.

And, yes, I agree that the first year bugs are sure to infest this truck -- hopefully in only a minor way.
    there's still enough info out there online on the 07's to get a pretty good idea as to what the cab interior styling/size will be...

Maybe, maybe not. The '07 Tundra that has been shown so far is the replacement for the extended cab model, not the double cab. That means what we've seen to date is Toyota's answer to the Ram Quad Cab—which means a larger still (Mega Cab size?) crew cab has yet to be shown.

Bob
    "That means what we've seen to date is Toyota's answer to the Ram Quad Cab—which means a larger still (Mega Cab size?) crew cab has yet to be shown. "......

which won't come out with the initial 07's... some time later in 07 the large cabs will come.... it'll be fun to watch and see
  • nelson10nelson10 Member Posts: 4
    I've seen a few pics on the 07' Tundra and from the front it looks a bit like the dodge ram. If you're considering an 07' Silverado, take a look at a pic on Izoom.com