Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• rockdocrockdoc Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2005 Frontier 4x4 Crewcab Nismo using a Ford Ranger for trade-in. The Crewcab Nismo has P265/75R16 tires. This is a pretty wide tire for snow use.

I notice that the Frontier XE tire size is P235/75R15, which is the same size as the Ranger's studded snow tires that I have retained. I presume that the Crewcab Nismo has the speedometer, odometer and perhaps other components (ABLS? I chose not to get the VDC/HDC/HSA package) calibrated for the larger tires. Would there be any substantive problems, other than speedometer and odometer inaccuracies, if I were to use the Ranger's 235/75R15 snow tires on my Nismo Crewcab?

I live in a mountainous area with steep slopes and lots of black ice during the winter. Having driven with and without snow tires on my Ranger and other vehicles in winter, I find that snow tires add an important traction component to winter driving in my location.
  • waterman1waterman1 Member Posts: 21
    i have a SE 6 spd and i like it a lot. the 6 spd manual trans is a good match to the new engine. if manual is what your looking for you won't go wrong. and yes it's smooth as silk. and i have not been lost in the shift pattern yet!!!
    ">I know that I posted a message before on this subject, but has anyone else noticed that the oil pressure drops almost to low when the engine is warmed up and at idle.
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    It's normal and is mentioned in the owner's manual I think. Our old Volvo did the same and it was normal too.
    what i am asking is if anyone else with a 2005 frontier has noticed the oil pressure drop. i have owned several other cars and none of them had that much of a drop at idle. i know what it says in the owners manual. I don't want to have problems down the road because the engine wasn't getting enough oil!
  • 2005lekc2005lekc Member Posts: 145
    Waterman1,

My local dealer told me that this was normal and that if I had an oil pressure failure
    I would see red lights and hear an alarm.

Back in the days of mechanical oil pressure all of the cars I owned did this as the
    pressure fluctuated with the engine speed. I am not sure what in the Frontier system
    causes this, but unless I miss my guess there will be someone out there that will be
    able to tell us what is happening.

Gerald
  • philg87philg87 Member Posts: 74
    thanks waterman1 thats what i need to here just have not had a chance to test drive one yet. :(
  • ukbballfanukbballfan Member Posts: 13
    I just read where Ford is matching G.M.'s employee discount program through Aug. 1st and Chrysler is expected to follow tomorrow...wonder if Nissan will ever join in?
  • severesevere Member Posts: 10
    Here in central NC, there is one dealership who is already doing that. However it is not ALL Nissan dealerships. This is in conjunction with the $1000 cash back incentive that is currently offered.

I really like the Frontier and have been weighting the options on a 4x4 Nismo CC. The thing is, I'm having a hard time coping with the gas mileage. Maybe I'll look in to a 4x2. I swear I wish they had the diesel version available in the US.
  • jwill123jwill123 Member Posts: 1
    Yes- I have an 05 that does the same thing. I didn't think it was unusual for such a big engine, but I'm not an expert with engines. I have not been completely satisfied with my Nissan which is 30 days old. It is in service now for a main seal leak- This is where the engine meets the transmission. I am asking that Nissan replace the truck because I have had to add about 2 quarts of oil in the first 30 days. Does anyone agree/disagree that truck should be replaced by Nissan? I just don't want problems to occur down the road due to this issue during the crtical break in period. Anyone else out there with 05's? This is my first Nissan and I love the truck just don't like the way Nissan treats their customers (so far anyway). I have had two Tacomas and never had one problem. Let me know what experiences you've had as Nissan Frontier owners.
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    I am almost at 13,000 miles. I had the engine TSB and no other real problems. I have had great service with my truck. I have been to three different Nissan locations for servicing and all have been great. Never had a real problem though. I would doubt they replace the truck, I am sure they will just try to find the problem. I would see if they will give you and extended warranty, just a thought. Good luck.
    Can you give me some specifics on the dealership and locale? I have been doing searches for a 4x2 LE CC in Storm Gray with a sunroof and I found 1 in Concord N.C. I'm going to be down in that area in 2 weeks and I just might make a trip to the dealership you're talking about if its near where I'll be.

I'm tempted to change over to buying a Dodge Ram quad which I can get for about the same $24,000 as the Fronty.
  • severesevere Member Posts: 10
    I'm not sure of the specific rules of the forum but the location for this dealership is in Apex, NC. Hopefully that will give you enough info to find what you're looking for.
    Gerald. Maybe it's just a visual thing! I am just not used to seeing oil pressure changes like that. thanks for the info. Last note: I still think that the nissan frontier is the best of the best, and would buy it again. 2005 frontier rules!!!!!!!
    Thanks! That was all I needed to know.
    I contacted the dealership and it was as I had expected...the matching $1000 was coming off the sticker...an amount they would have discounted anyways when dealing at invoice pricing. A good thing came out of this though. The N.C. dealership did offer me a truck at $300.00 under invoice and I got my local dealer to match it so I'm buying a LE CC with the Rockford Fosgate package and a sunroof that stickers for $26,220 for $23,129 after rebate. I'm very happy with this deal. Thanks to everyone for all your info!
  • dander1dander1 Member Posts: 7
    Is this true? Has anyone else heard of this?
    Do a google search for CR Laurence windows. If you contact the company directly, they are making one, some suppliers don't know this yet. AZTrucks has them on their webpage. They look really nice. Spoke with some local installers in Central California, total price is about $650 installed.
  • monkey7monkey7 Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had any experience with a hard bed cover? Good or Bad I ordered a factory one and they are on backorder and am looking at aftermarket ones. Is the factory one better than what I can get on my own? Also thinking about a retractable cover.
  • millarmillar Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone looked into/actually installed the RollBak cover? It is a cover made of many aluminum slats that appears to work like a window shade. If so, could you give me some input on:

1. Is it good quality?
    2. How much of the bed does it take up when it is fully open (i.e., how much dead space will I have in the bed even when it is totally open)?
    3. How much drilling is required (I saw some installation instructions that indicated the need to drill a hole through the bed for a drain hose and possibly to drill holes into the side rails)?
    4. Is it water tight?
    5. How securely can it be locked?
    6. Is it easy to use?
    7. How does it look?

Thanks a lot.
  • millarmillar Member Posts: 17
    I just noticed a few additional products about which I have the same questions. Can anyone tell me about the following (also a window shade design)?

Pace-Edwards Bedlocker (motorized!)
    Pace-Edwards Jackrabbit
    Pace-Edwards Roll Top Cover

Any other "window shade" designs out there that are worth considering? I like the idea that they are lockable, that you can't cut them with a knife to get at what is in the bed, and that they easily roll up out of the way when you need to use the whole bed (would be nice if they are waterproof too). Thanks again.
    I am following up on my initial post. I spoke with the dealer today and they tell me that the "factory" hard cover is not currently availaable. They are trying to find me a replacement. I can only find 2, A.R.E and Leer. Has anyone had any luck with either of these? How about Foldacover?
  • nissan4evernissan4ever Member Posts: 1
    I saw an ad in the latest issue of ATV magazine for the new Frontier and noticed a tiny link to a site that gives out free NISMO Frontier posters.

Check it out - www.nissanusa.com/poster .
    I just received my Kcover (I think it is a versa cover) which is a folding cover. After much research, it sounded like the best one (around $600 delivered). It is supposed to sit above the utility rack and you don't have to remove any portion (you do with foldacover). It is removable and lockable. Probably won't put it on till this weekend.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Pace Edwards Jack Rabbit and tailgate lock...the demo unit in the store seemed impressive, and that is what I wish to install on my truck...I don't have a Frontier, but the concept is the same...the aluminum slats appear strong, and with an electric tailgate lock tied into your remote key fob, your truck bed is now like a trunk...considering that a trunk can be popped with the simple lock, your truck bed will probably be stronger and more secure than an average trunk...
  • sk96734sk96734 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone been able to find an overhead rack system that will work on the 2005 Frontier Crew Cab with utili-track and without the factory rack? It looks like I have to pull out the side utilitracks for racks that clamp to the bed rail and there doesn't seem to be a system that will fit the roof top of the cab.
    Thanks.
    I too am interesyed in the Rollbak cover. Sounds like a neat concept. The distributer I talked with said that the canister was small enough to work with the utili-trac system in the Fronty. Wht kind of price have you found on the Rollbak? I was quoted $700.00 plus $75.00 for shipping. It weighs 70 lbs.
    Centralcal,

I just had a Foldacover bed cover installed on my '05 LE KC and they did not have to
    remove any of the utili-trac system. Everything is complete and still usable.

Gerald
    interesting, when I spoke with the company I was going to order from, they said the first 1/3 would have to be removed (the part closest to the cab). How do you like it?
    Centralcal,

I like it fairly well. It is a little hard for me to fold it all of the way up, but I am 5' 7 1/2"
    tall, weigh 130 pounds, and I am 67 years old. Probably I could have done this okay when I was a little younger.

It is not waterproof, but it hasn't let very much water through so far. It looks great on
    the truck and I really enjoy being able to let my utili-trac hardware stay in place without
    having to worry about it being stolen. I am going to order the sliding partition soon, now
    that I can lock it up.

When I bought mine the dealer said that the front section of the Titan had to be re-
    moved, but in calling Fold-a-cover he was told that on the Frontier it would fit without
    interfering with the utili-trac system. It did not interfere at all.

Gerald
    Are you getting water coming in at the seam where it folds? How many sections are there? I have a new crewcab and I need something that will keep the water out. There does not seem to be alot of selection of "hard fiberglass covers" out on the market, everyone has one in "production", but can't give me a date. I need a cover for my truck in order to do my job (traveling salesman). Nissan sold the truck to me stating that they had a factory top and would have it within a week.
    Now they don't even have a cover. I am looking for any suggestions.
    Please help
    A.R.E has the LS II out for the Frontier. It is fiberglass. Webpage is 4are.com
    Monkey7'

I am not sure where the water is coming in. I drove in a light rain last night and then
    washed the truck this morning. There was water standing on top of the Fold-a-cover,
    but no water in the bed at all.

The few times I have noticed water there was a little at the very back and a little up
    toward the front.

The water is probably coming through the hinged areas, but at the back it could be entering at the rear edge.

There are 4 sections and the rear 3 fold up on top of the front section. I went this route
    because I have to haul large items on a regular basis and cannot do so with the
    fiberglass models.

You can find Fold-a-cover at www.foldacover.com. They have shots of it with the sections folded up.

Gerald
    I just installed my advance folding cover last night. It took about 2 hours (by myself, pretty easy). Looks great. It comes off by folding it up, unscrewing 2 bolts and lifting off. Weighs about 30-40 lbs I would guess. Locks, unfolds very easy. Full use of the utili-trac (everything installs above it). Got it from KCovers for $608 delivered.
  • canadianguy1canadianguy1 Member Posts: 22
    Hi everyone, new to the forum. I just bought an 05 frontier (Storm Gray CC 4X4, auto)up here in Toronto, Ontario Canada. So for so good. Except there is a rattle coming form somewhere in the dash. It only happens when I have the A/C running, foot on the brake, and truck in drive. Brought it to the dealership, they thought it was heater/A/C fan. They changed it.... Still rattles. I think it might be a loose dash panel, but can't figure out how to secure them. Any suggestions.
    Thanks
    I had similar problem. Mine ended up being the cables to the AC coming through the firewall. They adjusted them and no more rattles.
  • canadianguy1canadianguy1 Member Posts: 22
    Hey thanks, you wouldn' t know how they secured them or anything.
    THanks again for the quick response.
    No help from that standpoint. On other websites, people have also had the hood bumpers causing noise, some needed lube, some needed adjusting. Good luck.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Anybody have one of these? Any offroading/snow reports? Or is the 4X2 like decaf coffee and lite beer? I'm thinkin' by the looks of it (tires, diffy, skid plates), it should be pretty decent--no traction package though. Whaddya think?
  • svslarrysvslarry Member Posts: 12
    By the factory.....Yes, my 4x2, 6spd, KC SE w/ 2-wheel limited slip (ABLS) is not being released BY THE FACTORY due to 'idle' issues, software (?) related. I ordered it in April, had a VIN number the end of June & now finally find out the that I can't get this truck...My question is: Anyone out there with this setup? My dealer has gotten in 4X4 w/ ABLS, automatics w/ ABLS, 6 spds w/o ABLS, so is my truck the first 6spd w/ ABLS built this year....My options are to re-order one w/o ABLS (7 weeks minimum), get one from another dealer w/ almost the same equipment (450 mi. away), or get my money back & get something other than a Nissan....
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    I have an 05 CC NISMO with 4-wheel limited slip and love this feature: it works extremely well and is worth having. Don't know about availability in 2wd.

I had to do a dealer trade to get the exact truck I wanted back in January. It was worth it as I'm very happy with the truck overall. Problems: mine was an early production and needed the intake plenum rattle service bulletin; definitely quieter under the hood with the change. (Anything built after Feb will have this change from the factory.) The hood latch needs a lot of grease to keep from squeaking. That's it; overall one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. 15,000 trouble-free miles in 6 months, a lot of those hard-core off-roading, says a lot. Best tank from the V-6 cruising Yellowstone at 45 mph was 24 mpg. Most tanks 18 mpg. Good luck finding the exact truck you want; you'll be happy with the Frontier if you get one.
  • svslarrysvslarry Member Posts: 12
    Thanks for the words of encouragement...We decided to go the dealer trade route & not wait for a truck from the factory. It will have what we wanted except the ABLS & the bedliner w/ rack system. Turns out less than 400 miles & for all the hassle, they're selling it to us at invoice (according to my research I agree), extending the 'bumper-to-bumper' warranty to 39,000 miles, and giving us a couple of free oil changes... We'll have it by next weekend :)
  • jmsd1jmsd1 Member Posts: 20
    how are you getting 18 mpg. My overall average since owning the truck is 13 mpg combo city/highway. If I don't get on the freeway once in awhile this truck would only get 10-12 mpg. Been to the dealer twice and they find nothing wrong with the settings. Last time they reset the "learning" and still no better. I have the nismo 4x4 KC.
    just a note on the mpg. I have a SE KC 6 SPD MANUAL and the worst milage i have gotten was 18 no highway miles in that. on the highway this weekend 80 mph for hours on end I got 22 mpg. I am sure if i kept my foot out of the engine compartment it would have been higher, But it hard not to let those horses run loose. Especially if you see a toyota.
  • jmsd1jmsd1 Member Posts: 20
    mine is the 5 spd auto. I think the nismo weighs more than the SE and has larger tires. But THAT much difference. Does the NISMO have a different computer chip?
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    I think the final drive gear ratio is sometimes different for NISMO. Go to:

http://www.nissannews.com/

Then click on 2005 Frontier and Specifications.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    Looks like the toughest thing for me to find will be the side impact airbags that my wife insists I get since our 04 Armada has them, I have found a couple calling dealers but looks like few Frontiers have them. I'm in the DC metro area. Is that true in the rest of the country?

I do some off-road driving on roads in the GW National Forest and elsewhere. Seldom even need 4 wheel drive in my old '98 4Runner that is stock everything. However, guess I'll have to get the NISMO model just to get skid plates and Limited Slip. I'm really irritated that they don't put skid plates on the non-NISMO models. (I had the two missing ones added to the Armada although it seldom goes off road.) I drove both the NISMO and regular crew cab and could feel some difference in the suspension when we hit bumps in the road, but not much.

I'm also not pleased that I have to pay for a sunroof I don't want to get the VDC, HSA, and HDC. Is there any rhyme or reason to why the put a sunroof with these types of options?

The Toyota Tacoma looks nice, I know it will be dependable, but I'm not paying for premium gas at current prices. I have little confidence in the domestic ones so Nissan is my only choice. Still frustrating they way they group options.

81 Trekker
    the difference may be in the ratio of the rear end. I am not sure on the weight or the tires. But I am getting very good gas milage for the way I drive. I live in the mountains of West Virginia and I love to pass big V8's on the mountain roads around here. And I do it with alot less gas.
  • danielacostadanielacosta Member Posts: 132
    When I bought mine in January, there were common configurations, but there were also exact configurations I wanted that were hard to find. I found a dealer who was patient enough to get on the computer, find the exact vehicle I wanted, then send the salesman and I 100 miles a way to do a dealer trade. They earned my business and I have the exact truck I want. Good luck finding yours.
  • 81trekker81trekker Member Posts: 51
    I've given up finding a NISMO 4x4 (auto) with side air bags, traction package, Rockford Fosgate, and hard tonneau cover,in a color I can handle. Local dealer has offered to order from NIssan with their August order and it should be here in mid to late Sept. I've read a couple posts about experiences with orders, some ok and some sitting in the factory due to some problem. I'm wondering if there are more experiences out there. How well does Nissan do filling these orders without big mistakes like wrong color or 5-speed instead of auto? Since I see that the hard tonneau cover may not be available, I wonder if it will sit there or will they ship it and let the dealer or me find another cover. I do plan to ask the dealer these questions but am interested in others experiences. - 81 Trekker.