Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Frontier 2005+

Comments

• importfan14importfan14 Member Posts: 18
    "faux pas" ;-)
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    you could say i made a spelling faux pas....
  • ajaxbroajaxbro Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else heard anything about nissan rushing the frontiers into production?

"was surprised to find the guy saying they were rushing them into production and that they expected them this month in June" by irish25
  • truckster44truckster44 Member Posts: 1
    I seriously doubt nissan would put a truck on the market that required premium gasoline. In this day and age it would be suicide for their frontier sales. altgaxt was right about it not really hurting your wallet too much, but the perception by the market (us) would be terrible! just my 2 cents
    no...the frontier, pathfinder, and xterra will all be launced in october/novenber.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    1. Although I posted earlier that the actual cost of premium is not such a big deal, I wonder why a 4.0 litre engine making 250 hp would need premium. If it was 3.0 liters with a higher compression I might understand, but the 4.0 is actually rated at lower hp than some of the versions of Nissan's 3.5 V6. The extra engine size is reflected in the torque. Does the Titan require premium? I saw some disagreement on that thread.

2. My understanding was that the Frontier would come out this Fall, with the Xterra coming out in early calendar year 2005.
    release date is expected on all 3 new trucks sometime in late october-mid november. they will not require premium fuel, nor does the titan/armada.

FWIW, the only vehicles in nissans lineup that DO are the 350Z and the xterra supercharged...which wont be around after this fall.
  • 2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    Bowke28,

My Pathfinder requires Premium, but I usually use mid-grade. I only put premium in if I will be towing. Actually, I noticed that premium gives me a little bit more efficiency in mileage. I am not sure if it's worth the extra cost of premium.

2FastDre.
    what year is your pathfinder? any PF with the 3.5L engine only requires regular.
  • wilvoltwilvolt Member Posts: 6
    I think a lot of the confusion is related to the differnce between "require" and "recommend". 91 octane is "recommended" for our '02 Maxima for maximum performance and mileage, but not "required" per the owners manual.
    i agree...

but there are MANY vehicles that REQUIRE premium, and i want to make sure these arent confused with those.
  • ericc815ericc815 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the 6' longbed will still be offered with the 2005 frontier crew cab?
  • icarbuyericarbuyer Member Posts: 3
    I sent nissan an email asking the same thing and here is their response...

Thank you for taking the time to personally contact us about your interest in Nissan products.

The 2005 Nissan Frontier will unfortunately not be available with a crew-cab long-bed combination.

We hope that this information answers your question, but if you need any additional information or have further questions, please let us know by reply e-mail or by calling 1-800-647-7263 and pressing "0" for a live operator.

I guess it's the 2004 for me.
  • unknownunknown Member Posts: 5
    I was trying to hold off purchasing a new truck until I could see the 2005 Frontiers.
    But if it is not available with the crew-cab long-bed combination...I am not interested.

Hopefully the 05 Tacoma will have it.

If not, I will consider the Dakota
    or maybe even a full-size truck.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Right now you can obtain a new 4X4 XE King Cab Titan for $22,158. That is a bargain for a full size!
  • ericc815ericc815 Member Posts: 2
    Since o5 will not offer the long bed I am going to get a used 03 or an 04. What kind of mpg can I expect from this truck. 6 cyl. no supercharger
  • icarbuyericarbuyer Member Posts: 3
    I too was considering a used 03 or 04 cc 4x4 LB, but the $2500 rebate makes a new truck more appealing. Here in the south Bay Area (San Jose, CA), a used 03 with 15k miles goes for $17-$18k. Carsdirect.com has a comparably equipped new 04 truck for $20.3. When you consider the length of warranty ("full" versus "remaining"), wear and tear and possible abuse to truck, the $2-$3 difference for a new truck seems worth. Just my $.02.

I hear 16-17mpg for mix driving, can anyone confirm?
  • dat2dat2 Member Posts: 251
    I have an '03 SC KC 4x4 5 spd and average about 17 mpg, after 10,000 miles.
    Edmund's does not kill this thread. We are working our way through mid August. 05s should be here soon. Anyone hear a firm ETA?
    late october/early november for all 3 new trucks...frontier, xterra, and pathfinder.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    I'd like a 2WD, fun to drive truck. The Colorado with the ZQ8 sport suspension is supposed to be a hoot, but my wife would kill me (justifiably) if I ever bought another compact Chevy pickup. I'd really like something that could haul bikes / yard stuff and still keep me as entertained as my '93 SE-R. Is Nissan going to have a sporty option on the Frontier?

-Jason
    if you want a 2wd truck thats fun to drive, get a titan xe KC. MSRP is right at $24k, and you can get one after rebates and discounts for close to $20k.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    '93 Sentra SE-R, '87 Alfa Romeo Spider, '98 S10 4x4 (big mistake), '99 Neon Sport, '74 Datsun 260Z. I agree that the Titan is a heck of a lot of truck for the money but it's still a heck of a lot of truck, period. I have a hard time thinking of anything that big as "fun".

I know the new Tacoma is supposed to have a street performance package, just wondered if Nissan would follow suit. Toyotas tend to be a little pricy for what you get, IMO.

-Jason
    thats my point...you can get a titan with that monster power plant for about the same as the tacoma with the v6.

no brainer to me...

PLUS...

you get the huge ground clearance with the titan. go drive one...you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • demoncleanerdemoncleaner Member Posts: 82
    Check the news on Nissannews.com. Those are pretty insane numbers. Thats clearly going to make them the class leader, other than the top H.O. V-8 gas hog in the new Dakota. Only question is how will this puppy do at the pumps (and will it need premium with those kind of hp numbers)? The new Toyota tacoma will have the new direct injection & VVT V6. While it will have less power than the Nissan, I saw the fuel mileage for that motor in the 05 Tundra (which is bigger and heavier that the tacoma) 18-19 city/ 25 highway is insane for a big truck, gotta figure at least that or better for the tacoma. If i'm getting 5-6 mpg better for every gallon, Nissan can have the 20 hp advantage... Guess we'll have to see the frontier fuel numbers in due time...
    This is awesome power numbers! I hope the torque peaks relatively early. They should tune it to about 320 hp and put it into the 400Z. :) I think Nissan will use this engine as widely as it currently uses the 3.5 liter. Hey, they can even put this into an entry level Titan.

2FastDre.
    They could put this engine in a new entry level or work truck version of the Titan. While towing would be down, I bet it would still outrun the entry level 4.7, 4.6, and 4.8 litre V8s from Dodge, Ford and GM (respectively).

Seems to me that a bigger Frontier with this new engine ought to be able to tow more than 5,000 lbs.
    towing rates are decided more by the frame and chassis than the engine.

first, they determine the payload and tongue weight capacity, and multiply by about 10.

like the titan, its widely known that it CAN pull around 14k lbs...but the payload can only handle about 900 lbs. on the tongue.
    Granted - but I am still guessing they would not offer the big tow package in a V6 Titan, if they ever decide to build such a beast.

However, back to what you are saying, in recognition of the fact that the new Frontier is larger and built on a modified Titan platform and is being offered with a powerful V6, I would tend to think towing capacity would be well above the 5,000 lbs of the current version. I'm trying to avoid buying a big pickup as I do not really need one, but I would like to find something that would easily handle a small camper or a good sized boat. I would like to see the Frontier competitive with a V8 Dakota or even a Toyota Tundra, both of which are rated to pull up to 7,000 lbs, more or less.
    even though it will be bigger, and on a modified titan platform, its still not a titan. i dont doubt that it CAN pull 7000 lbs, but they would have to upgrade the suspension to be able to handle the extra load on the tongue to do it.
    Here is a quote from the Nissan press release dated February, 2004. "The Frontier’s maximum towing capacity is rated at more than 5,500-plus pounds."

So they say that it will handle at least 5500 lbs. My guess would be that it will not be rated for more than 6000 lbs. The towing capacity is based on the frame and suspension, but it also depends on transmission and engine strength. In any case, this is very good. And my 3500 lbs boat+trailer could be handled nicely.

2FastDre.
    Edmunds just reviewed the 2005 Dakota. It sounds like the design and engineering have been executed very well. It's using the Jeep 3.7 V6 as a base engine, and also has 2 V8 options. The V8 options are both 4.7 liter engines with the high-output motor rated at 250 hp+ and 300 ft-lbs+. There is no mention of gas mileage in this first review. Could it be that the 4.7 drinks it down like never before?
    The high-output Dakota is rated for maximum towing of 7150 lbs. And the top of the line extended cab Dakota is $29,500 ! Wow. I can get a nicely equiped Titan for that much.

The Nissan V6 sounds much better than Dakota engine options; it has more hp than any of those engines, but is lower in torque in comparison to the V8. I think that Frontier will not be rated to tow 7150 lbs, but this is just fine. In my opinion, if you want to tows 7000 lbs, you should just get a full size truck.

2FastDre.
    Wow! There is a first 2005 Tacoma review article at pickuptruck.com. And Tacoma is putting up a huge fight! It will have a LongBed option on the Double cab available soon after the release and it has a special Tow package that is rated to tow 6500 lbs. The fight is really heating up, and it is exciting to observe.

2FastDre.
    What is the big deal? Help me understand what type of trailers would be towed behind a compact or midsize truck that would weigh more than 4,000 lbs? Any trailer over 3,000 lbs typically requires brakes on the trailer in many states. Towing 6500 lb trailer with a Frontier or Tacoma sized truck would be a scary proposition to me even with stabilizer, electric trailer brakes, and breakaway brake system on trailer.

A 28ft Prowler travel trailer weighs about 6500 lbs., I sure would not tow one w/o anything less than a 3/4" truck.

Would anyone on these forums feel safe towing a 5,000 to 6,500 lb trailer with a Frontier sized truck?
  • brywardsbrywards Member Posts: 1
    No freakin' way!! You got a big trailer...get a big truck. It's a no-brainer!
    Heh Heh My intent was 3/4 ton truck, not 3/4"! LOL!
    so what happened to the 1/2 ton trucks???
    I agree that I would not want to tow 6,500 lbs with a compact or midsized truck.

I think the point or the question is would you rather tow 3,500 lbs in a vehicle with a 3,500 lb to 4,000 lb tow rating or would you rather tow 3,500 lbs in a vehicle rated to tow 6,000 lbs or 6,500 lbs?

Maybe it does not matter, but it would give me peace of mind to know that I have a chassis, suspension, engine, transmission, and brakes that are not being pushed to their theoretical limit when I am towing a small camper, boat or loaded utility trailer.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I agree. Most people towing with mid-size pickups and SUV are towing ~ 3500 max. I certainly fall into that category. Having a 6500 tow rating gives you a lot of extra insurance.

Bob
  • playswithmudplayswithmud Member Posts: 36
    HORSEPUCKY!
    Noone argues that a Dakota D cab would be good for towing 6500#, so why would anyone question it on a Taco or Frontier? besides, 6500# add up real quick. what it burns down to is a GCW of about 11000#. Start with a 21ft boat- on trailer w/ a full load of fuel- 5000#. then put 4 guys in the cab, two 120qt cooler in the bed and head to the marina- if you've ever pulled a boat, then you know how easy they pull- little sway, light tounge wt.... or you decide to throw your jeep on a carhauler..... sometimes stuff needs pulling and you dont want to be dependant on your friend with the fullsize all the time
    Can someone explain to me how a breakaway switch helps when you're towing? last I looked, they only work when you did something very wrong
  • taytay Member Posts: 3
    Will Nissan Frontier offer the following features...

-4x2 Crew Cab with 2.5 liter DOHC inline 4-cylinder engine, & a 6-speed manual?

Thanks a lot for the information - Shawn
  • abpelch1abpelch1 Member Posts: 48
    If you go to Nissan's website, they have an area where you can "Design your Future Frontier". The only way to get a 4-cyl engine in the '05 Frontier is in the King Cab XE, and that comes equipped with a 5-speed manual. No 6-speed manual transmission is offered with the 4-cyl.

All Crew Cab & non-XE King Cab models come standard with the 4.0L V6 & 6-speed manual tranny.
  • playswithmudplayswithmud Member Posts: 36
    14K???? with a Dana44 based axle it wont pull it very far. Im not sure why the Engineers over at rising sun motors figure this will be big enough for the advertised towing chores, we will never know.
    again, if the tongue weight were somehow reduced, it COULD pull upwards of 14k lbs.

some trailers that weigh only 7k lbs may be front-heavy, and the titan will have trouble. and some may weigh 11k lbs. and be back-heavy. in this case, it could do it.
  • razucarrazucar Member Posts: 1
    when are they releasing it? They said december 04,thats kind of late for a new vehicle...
    late october/early november will be the 1st units, but full release wont be till december...just like the titan.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The new Pathfinder was just introduced at the Paris show, and comes only with a 2.5 turbo diesel.

Jeep will be offering a 2.8 turbo diesel on the '05 Liberty, and I would love to see the Nissan turbo-diesel offered here on the new Frontier, Xterra and Pathfinder.

Bob
  • jesusjamesjesusjames Member Posts: 10
    it doesn't matter.. this truck is TOOOOOOOO expensive for me. cheapest club cab was over 22k.
    that's not cheap.
    its not cheap, but its cheaper than the base dakota club cab, the tacoma double cab, AND the chevy/GMC trucks.

if a crew cab pickup is what you want, this is the best-priced one out there.
  • jesusjamesjesusjames Member Posts: 10
    the 05' Xterra starts at 2000$ less than the base Frontier crew cab -- with same drivetrain. So maybe that's a better deal, just get a trailer for it