Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Ridgeline SUT

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I think you misunderstood my response. I meant you claimed there were only 5 out of 30,000 vehicles sold. It's 5 out of whatever smaller number is represented as readers here. Usually people will chime in if they read a comment on a problem they're also having or are aware of. Then people who don't have a problem will chime in in defense.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    So do you think everything you read is true?
  • Options
    geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    I wonder if that excuse will work for all the reported water leak problems? :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Yes, this makes sense. All cars should drift to the right to avoid accidents, to counteract engine rotation, to stay off the crown of the road, to enhance talk show reception, etc.

Its simply amazing what otherwise sensible people will believe.
  • Options
    europ91europ91 Member Posts: 13
    It is amazing that someone could keep a straight face while giving this excuse.

Do they make an adjustment for Ridgelines in England so that they pull to the left?
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    ... in the NHTSA complaints database. There is only one structure complaint - about the early model "water leak" problem.

I'm sure the problem occurred here at Edmunds. However no private owners have filed complaints with the NHTSA. Compare that to the reports of, for example, Prius engine shutdowns, of which about 60 have been reported.

If you have had this problem, I encourage you to file a report. That is the only way the NHTSA has to initiate safety investigations. Here is the URL:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Anyway, it is hard to believe this is a widespread problem when no one has reported it to the NHTSA.

FYI, there were two complaints total. The other one was for a fuel tank that got punctured:

" WHILE DRIVING, SOMETHING FROM THE ROAD PUNCTURED THE FUEL TANK. FUEL POURED FROM THE TANK IN A MATTER OF MINUTES. THE CONSUMER CONTACTED THE DEALER. THE CONSUMER FELT THE FUEL TANK WAS TOO SOFT IF IT COULD SUSTAIN A HOLE LIKE THE ONE IN IT."
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I think we've seen five or six reports at the Ridgeline Owner's Club in addition to the Edmunds story. Why they haven't reported it to the NHTSA, I dunno. But I doubt it was just the work of trolls at that forum.

Time will tell. It's too soon to be jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Well, here is the way to find out. Pass along the URL to anyone claiming they have had the problem. I would lay even odds that there will be very few (if any) additional reports made that include a VIN.
  • Options
    Just about ANY ridgeline owner that has reported
    ANY strut failure, water leak problem, or roof rack
    issue here at Edmunds has been chased off by fellow ridgeline owners as a liar or a fruitcake.

Most never to post again.............. :lemon:
  • Options
    5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    I am a Ridgeline owner and yes, I have my own share of problems regarding the two doors of my Ridgelines and the tow and hitch signal lights that the delearship screwed up.These minor problems caused me to go ballistic and post these problems in every forum I came across.I was chased and discredited, but my post was so accurate and consistent that Honda diehards just stopped responding to all the negatives about my Ridgeline.

If a Ridge owner goes crazy over a minor flaw, what do you expect will be the reaction of GENUINE RIDGELINE OWNERS, they would be posting in every forum loathing their Ridgelines, unless of course they are just trolls wanting to join the trolling bandwagon.

I don't believe any REAL RIDGE owner with his/her $30,000-$40,000 truck would allow himself to be chased out of forums for posting negatives about their truck.ANYONE WHO ALLOWS ONESELF TO BE CHASED OFF BY OTHER RIDGE OWNERS EVEN UNDER THE ANONYMITY OF THE NET IS ONE FAKE RIDGE OWNER FRUITCAKE WHOSE ONLY EXPERIENCE WITH THE RIDGE IS SEEING ONE IN PICTURES OR THE NET. :shades:
  • Options
    gd113gd113 Member Posts: 114
    Don't take this Geo guy seriously. Read his other posts. He is just an annoyance who is desperate to slam Honda. Check out the ROC. Everyone there is helpful to any problems a Ridgeline owner might have. Of the 1,900 members 5 have had a strut problem. 5/1,900 = .24% wow, stop the presses. What maker produces vehicles with 100% perfection. Certainly not GM or Ford or god forbid Honda. Did you read the Nov. sales figures? Of course Ford and GM continue to drop. Honda and Toyota had their biggest Novembers ever. Ridgeline had its biggest month ever. Gee I wonder why? I guess there are alot of dumb car buyers out there, right? :surprise:
  • Options
    ...of the days when all the "real SUV" owners used to bash the soft-roaders like the CR-V and RX300.

Right now CR-Vs are selling as many units as the Explorer. The entire crossover SUV segment is growing while the BOF designs are having production cut and factories closed.

It'll take a while, but the market will change and the other players will be forced to adapt. Ridgeline sales have been building slowly, but with November's sales adding to the tally, Honda will make their 40K per year target.
  • Options
    bobwhobobwho Member Posts: 24
    Ok, Geo9, that's really interesting, since most people that post a problem with their Ridgeline are trashed for buy one in the first place. I've seen some posts from owners that are upset over a problem and have later learned it was fixed. So far, Almost every post you make is negative or mocks, those that are owners or thinking of buying a Honda Ridgeline. As I have said in almost every post, I make. Lets agree to disagree. Theirs no need to be negative or mock any certain vehicle. I read these posts to be informed and make the most positive choice as to buy or not. Every time, someone posts a problem, I learn more on whether it is a major or minor problem. I don't need to lurk around like some others here and add fuel to the fire for owning a certain vehicle. No one wins anything by being negative, but everyone does win by being objective and obtaining useful info on positive and negative problems and corrective actions.
  • Options
    Well stated.
  • Options
    matti0613matti0613 Member Posts: 5
    "Just about ANY ridgeline owner that has reported
    ANY strut failure, water leak problem, or roof rack
    issue here at Edmunds has been chased off by fellow ridgeline owners as a liar or a fruitcake.

Most never to post again.............. "

And yet you still post in this thread and you do not even own a RL....now why is that.... :lemon:
  • Options
    Just calling them as I see them............
    Along with other NON owners

Just reread post #1942. A post from a REAL owner who
    has had problems. I think his post says it all.........
  • Options
    blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Myob, great post. It summarizes what is wrong with all these guys using pickups as high speed, personal commuter vehicles. Look around any construction site and the workers all commuted usually before 7:00 AM in darkness and sometimes over black ice in 3/4 ton pickups with the handling characteristics of a Conestoga wagon. Or the office workers who commutes in from the 'burbs at 75 MPH in a Taco. Simply nutty. I too love it when the small town guy with a 15 year old pickup opines on the dynamic handling characteristics of a pickup based on his trips to the town dump.

I like the Dodge Ram 1500 (none of the miserable vibration problems that afflict the F150) as do you. But for anything involving an interstate we'll take the XC or the Cayenne, thank you.
  • Options
    ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    I went to the site to see what the buzz is about. I read through about 20 "complaints". There may have been 2 that were worthy of the time it takes to investigate them. Most say "my buddies are all complaining about this problem". Another talked about the dealer replacing parts in his auto tranny that only are present in a stick. Many are just a copycat of the previous report. Right now there are no reports for the 05 Ridgeline and only 2 for the 06. Either the moderator owns a Ridge or the Ridge haters haven't found the site yet. Or with all the tucks still on the lot, the only people that have driven them are the salesmen. One complaint was that the rear view has a blind spot. Was that blind spot there when the truck was new? You gotta take the posts for what they are.
  • Options
    bobwhobobwho Member Posts: 24
    Yes, chuckle all you want. That owner from post 1942 has a problem that if you will read was caused by the poorly installed equipment. If I had that problem, I also would be upset. Also I would be seeking advise from others to resolve the problem with the least amount of hassle to me. If not I would be calling the Corp Office and demanding action and even taking legal action. You are not helping matters by adding insult to injury. Yes, I know, "You Call as You See It". I'm sure I could call you alot of things too, but I will not. This forum is to bring out issues positive and negative for owners and those thinking of owning a Ridgeline. Each time a issue is brought up, than a meaningful and informative debate on "How, Why, Who, What" can be found to resolve the issue. Also "I own a Ridgeline and enjoy driving it and using it for what it was designed for. I have not had any problems with leaks, struts, etc. That does not mean, I will not have a problem in the future.
    But when I do, I will bring it up and ask for advise to hear, what other owners have done to resolve it or not. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion and you have made it very clear as to what you think of the Ridgeline. So how about trying to add something positive to help resolve any issues. That's just my opinion.
  • Options
    gonzo1124gonzo1124 Member Posts: 27
    Ridgeline takes on Baja 1000!!!!
    Ridgeline Competes in the Baja 1000
    The following story and photos recounting the racing of the Honda Ridgeline at the Baja 1000 are courtesy of Doug MacMillan of Hondata Inc., a supplier of hardware and software solutions for tuning Honda and Acura engine computers exclusively. MacMillan works alongside many race teams, such as H.A.R.T (Honda America Race Team), to provide tuning and support. Hondata is in no way affiliated with Honda Motor Company.

Last weekend, I embarked on a trip to Ensenada, Mexico to participate in the Baja 1000 - the most demanding off-road race in the world. Always one for challenges, Honda, in conjunction with Clive Skilton's California Race and Rally, entered the newly released Ridgeline.

With less than 90 miles on the odometer and 15 miles worth of testing, the Ridgeline lined up in class 7S (Stock mini trucks) for a 709 mile 30 hour race. This year saw over 320 competitors - the largest number ever.

The truck left at 12:20 p.m. Friday morning, as it howled down the groomed riverbed surrounded by thousands of spectators. Thanks to an aggressive automatic transmission reprogram by Honda engineers and custom-built race headers by Prototype Racing, the Ridgeline sounded awesome. So much power was on tap that the Ridgeline caught up to one of its class competitors, a Hummer, in three miles!

As Clive attempted to climb the first hill out of town, he encountered a number of stuck trucks, including one truck reversing down the hill. A second attempt failed, so this time the weight was reduced to the tune of one co-driver. Newly unencumbered, the Ridgeline sailed up the sandy mountain ... only to have to wait for the co-driver to complete the climb the old fashioned way.

Soon after, the Ridgeline hit a booby trap. Unfortunately the locals find great amusement in digging and disguising holes on the racecourse. Into one such hole the Ridgeline dropped, bending the drive shaft. This had to be removed, thus dropping the truck back to front wheel drive only. This did not impede progress too much, but a puncture did, slicing a five-inch gash into the sidewall. After changing the tire, the Ridgeline made it to the first pit stop at the 86-mile mark at 4 p.m. While checking the tires it was found that two of the wheel studs had stripped. This would be the longest pit stop. But a straight drive shaft was installed, the stripped wheel studs replaced, the truck refueled, and it was sent on its way into the night again. Fuel consumption was measured at six miles per gallon, fairly typical for this type of driving.

Later into the night, the team came down off the mountain to encounter the feared silt beds. As fine as talcum powder, the silt beds form from the infrequent rains that wash material off the mountains into the riverbeds. Silt beds can be as little as one foot, or as deep as three feet, and there were five miles of silt beds to cross. Hitting a silt bed throws off visibility entirely as none of the vehicles have windscreens, thus allowing a curtain of silt to blanket the hood and enter the cabin.

Jason Lafortune, the second shift driver, encountered the silt beds in the dark at 9 p.m. As he ventured into the murky dust cloud he saw a number of stuck trucks. What to do? Rule 1: Do not stop or else you will be digging yourself out for the next hour. So full throttle it was, and around the trucks he drove, as if on a Sunday drive to the corner store - albeit at 6000 rpm in second gear at wide-open throttle. For the next 5 minutes Jason weaved around firmly stuck Fords and Hummers, sometimes having to drive blind through eight-foot tall bushes to avoid impact with them. At times he was driving completely blind for 10-20 seconds at a time. When the dust had cleared, about 25 vehicles had been overtaken. It was then that the Hummer team managed to find the team's radio frequency. "Two questions," they said. "How did you do that," and "how far to get to clear ground?" "It's a Honda," Jason replied, "and you've got about another four miles to go."

The combination that helped the Ridgeline across the silt beds were its relatively low weight in comparison to some of the 6-8000 pound trucks, its relatively flat underside, the torque, tires and transmission improvements.

"The engine and top end power delivery is better than any other vehicle I have driven in the Baja," Jason later expounded. "The sound of the V6 howling through the open exhaust is absolutely awesome - especially while overtaking others on the fast sections. Up to the top of the mountain we had the Ridgeline easily climbing over two and three foot rocks. All we had to do was engage low gear and the VTM lock."

At midnight Gavin Skilton took over and from here on it became clear what the team's Achilles heel would be. While the tire choice was excellent for the silt crossing and high-speed sections, the sidewalls of the tire were not strong enough to resist the constant battering and slashing from the bigger rocks in the infamous Matomi Wash south of San Felipe. Punctures were occurring about every 50 miles, which put the team further and further behind. By early Saturday morning the team missed reaching a timed checkpoint before closing time, resulting in a retirement. At that time the team had traversed over half of the 700-mile course.

Mechanically, the car was in perfect condition. All the CV joints, ball joints and suspension components were still in the right places and doing what they should. In addition, the vehicle improvements made by California Race and Rally performed flawlessly.

"This vehicle has the best 4-wheel drive system I have used," Gavin Skilton revealed after the race. "With a better tire choice and a little more ground clearance and wheel travel, the Ridgeline would be tough to beat."

Technically the race was a great success. Nothing on the Ridgeline failed. This is what racing is about and this is how to improve the breed. Get out there and push the limits. Find what breaks and fix it. Currently Clive and Gavin are preparing the Ridgeline for more racing a little closer to home in early December. I have no doubt they will do very well.
  • Options
    mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    If it had used truly stock suspension, I wonder how it would have done?

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID2000?mid=2005103171005&mime=asc

Also, to be accurate, it did not complete the race. Apparently, according to the post, it missed making a checkpoint on time due to tire problems and dropped out a little over half way. Now, I wonder if honda is consulting with the company that prepped the Ridgline regarding suspension?

All in all though, its good to see that the truck apparently performed well, if the account of the race is accurate.
  • Options
    gonzo1124gonzo1124 Member Posts: 27
    There isn't a single entry in this race with "stock suspension"...it just won't cut it.
  • Options
    mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    I'm sure that's true. But it makes no sense to brag about the ability of a modified vehicle, as the title of your post implies. Nonetheless, I wonder of the replaced "shocks" were a bolt on modification, or a major re-do of the whole suspension system of the truck. Anyone know from seeing it at the car show?
  • Options
    ustazzafustazzaf Member Posts: 311
    All in all though, its good to see that the truck apparently performed well, if the account of the race is accurate.
    They entered a highly modified truck in the "stock" class. How accurate is that? It is like Chevy, Dodge or Ford bragging about winning the Nascar races. Do any of those cars even resemble a stock vehicle?
    They said the truck did well by making it half way through the race. My old truck got me half way to Home Depot before the engine blew, but I had passed alot of cars while it was running! Maybe it was a successful trip afterall.
    Take a bunch of truly stock trucks out there and see who gets the farthest. Then we will see who really is successful. Maybe a trip up the Rubicon Trail would be a good test.
  • Options
    gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    They said the truck did well by making it half way through the race. My old truck got me half way to Home Depot before the engine blew, but I had passed alot of cars while it was running! Maybe it was a successful trip afterall.

It simply didn't make it to a checkpoint in time because of a tire failure. It wasn't because the truck failed. Stop seeing only what you want to see and look at what really happened. The RL performed excellently.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Please explain what being "chased off a forum" has to do with reporting a problem to NHTSA?

As the other poster with problems stated, anyone with a REAL problem won't be chased away, anyway. Usually its the BS posters who post once and then vanish. Then there are those who have nothing constructive to add, but just like stating the same heresay over and over and over.

hey, 55535432, did you trade your Pilot for the Ridge?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    5553543255535432 Member Posts: 150
    Yep B.S posters, come to think of it for two doors that won't close well and a screwed up hitch signal light attachment, I blasted Honda in every forum I could get to.I wonder if any genuine Ridgeline would allow himself to be chased if he truly blow a strut or theirs a leak on his truck.

I kept my Pilot coz of it's 8 passenger capacity.My younger bro took over my lease on a very nice 05 Frontier, so I could get the Ridgeline.No regerets on getting the Ridge :shades: whatsoever though I had zero problems with the Frontier.Funny primary reason I went for Ridge is the 5 star front crashrating vs 4 stars only for Frontier.Frontier is more peppy but ride is more stiff.
  • Options
    wooddorkerwooddorker Member Posts: 300
    Honda sold a record number of Ridgelines in November, approximately 5,700. It would seem that the incentives are working.
  • Options
    Yep, the RL is finding its market, and will meet its sales goal this year. What's surprising is all the people that were so anxious to pronounce it a failure after only a few months after release because of initial low sales.
  • Options
    ryansanryansan Member Posts: 1
    I like the Ridge, and test drove one yesterday. Two problems I wonder if anyone has addressed: 1) suspension too soft (front end dips when you hit the brake; rear end dips when you hit the gas; and it rolls too much in corners). 2) Driver seat bottom cushion poorly proportioned for me (6'3", 210 pounds), during a short test drive the seat was cutting into my under thighs. :cry:
    Anyone upgrade the suspension? or the rollbars? or alter the seat for a bigger person? :confuse:
    Thanks.
  • Options
    hmswartzhmswartz Member Posts: 2
    An update to my last post from March. Haven't been on this forum in months. From reviewing the most recent ten pages of posts, there is too much posturing, too little substance for me to spend much time here.

My RTL has 20,000 miles on it now. Of those miles, 7,600 was put on towing my Airstream Bambi into Adirondacks, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, etc. No problems at all, fuel economy averaging 11.2MPG. Honda brand hitch receiver has worked fine.

Bottom line is that this Ridgeline has worked flawlessly, even while being pushed hard as a tow vehicle.
  • Options
    mike7842mike7842 Member Posts: 9
    I agree. Too little substance and too much bickering. Even worse on the Ridgleline Owners Club. I love my Ridgline and with over 11,0000 miles nary a problem. About 18 MPG.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    there is too much posturing, too little substance for me to spend much time here.

I hear ya. It's known as "pickup truck owner's disease," and can be found on any car forum, but is by far much more common on pickup truck forums. It's a shame, as these forums could be (and should be!) very useful in terms of an exchange of good information. :(

Bob
  • Options
    craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    The wife and I tested our first RL last night in Tampa, FL and wow this is one nice truck! Drives like a car(better than most in fact)yet has so many incredible features. We love it!

Question, At first we didnt want nav but after thinking about it, Does the RL navi system include a backup camera when in reverse?

Craig
  • Options
    Question, At first we didnt want nav but after thinking about it, Does the RL navi system include a backup camera when in reverse?

Yes, but it's not included with the Navi, it an option, but you must have the Navi to get the back up camera option
  • Options
    craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    Thanks gearhead, I called the dealer and said it was about another $1000 installed. Gonna sleep on this decision.

Craig
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    Yep, Edmund's seems to be growing attached attached to their Ridgeline.
  • Options
    Edmunds problem with blowing out ALL 4 struts in
    their Aug. article along with a few other issues
    in the SAME vehicle.
    I guess time will tell..........
  • Options
    europ91europ91 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone else experienced windshield wind noise on their Ridgeline? (not including windnoise caused by the roof rack)

Did the dealer fix the problem?
    Did they act as if they didn't hear it?

Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    wally6wally6 Member Posts: 4
    Hi folks, I've been reading these posts for a while now while investigating a RL purchase. I've seen a few complaints about the lack of telescopic steering wheel adjustment around the net. I test drove an RTS yesterday and loved it except for -- you guessed it -- my knees right up against the dashboard in order to get a comfortable reach to the steering wheel. I'm 5'10' and have fairly long legs for my height (34 inseam), but certainly not unusually so. Even with this set-up my arms were still stretched out. I noticed that a comfortable seat/steering wheel set-up made it a little tough to get in and out also (almost as tight as the old LR Discovery II's). Has anyone else had this issue? I'm trying to figure out if it's something I could get use to, or would it drive me crazy in short order?? (pun intended)
  • Options
    shimmyshimmy Member Posts: 14
    Yes wally6. I am experiencing same problem with getting in and out of the truck. Would not recommend it for pizza deliveries. Shimmy.
  • Options
    shimmyshimmy Member Posts: 14
    Hey hmswartz. When you tow your trailer, do you switch trans. mod to D-3, or tow it on overdrive? Shimmy.
  • Options
    I'm 5'10' and have fairly long legs for my height (34 inseam), but certainly not unusually so. Even with this set-up my arms were still stretched out.

I don't understand this. I'm 6 foot 32" inseam, and there seems to be plenty of room for me. My arms certainly aren't stretched to reach the steering wheel. I can't imagine 2" inches making that much more difference.
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    try lowering the seat cushion itself, as it has a few inches of travel, that might help.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    well, i'm assuming this is the same setup as the Pilot. I can see your problem. I'm 6'5" with a 35-36" inseam. I did feel our Pilot would have benefitted greatly from a telescoping steering wheel, but it wasn't something that kept us from buying the vehicle. HOWEVER, my wife was the primary driver of the vehicle, so that probably changes things. If it was supposed to be my primary, I might not have bought it for this same reason.

Given I'm quite a bit taller than you, but my legs aren't much longer, I could probably reach the wheel with a little more comfort than you can. So if these measurements are any form of comparison, I definitely see where you could be quite uncomfortable driving for extended periods.

If it wasn't for the tilt of the power seat, there's no way I'd have been comfortable in the Pilot.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    wally6wally6 Member Posts: 4
    Now that sounds like a simple solution that never occurred to me (duh!!). Thanks, I really didn't play with the up/down controls as the height seemed fine when I got in. Now, if I can only get the dealer to call me back with some pricing....
  • Options
    hewhoroamshewhoroams Member Posts: 1
    I'm hoping this isn't an issue with the RTS trim because of the power seats?

As someone who is 6'2 and tired of being hampered getting in and out of the vehicle, this would be a pain.

I'm picking up my RTS the day after xmas
  • Options
    jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    I'm sure IRS is great for on road handling and ride. But have you ever noticed the effects on ground clearance? the Ford explorer and Expedition appear to have about 5 inches of clearance on the outside near the wheels.

Wouldn't this be a huge problem in deep sand/snow and on even a mild wheel rutted farm road?

Not all manufacturer's have that same IRS issue. Subarus have basically the same clearance all the way to the wheels. The Pilot appears to have slight clearance issues near the wheels. I haven't seen a Ridgeline from the rear but I'd imagine its similar to a Pilot.

Just a thought from watching them down the road. It seems if the wheels drop into ruts your in trouble fast.

(note I posted this on the 2007 Tahoe forum too. I thought some you you here might be more knowledgable on the topic ;) )