Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Honda CR-V?

archman1archman1 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Honda
Looking for insight here. I heard CR-V might get a power boost? V6?. I here special edition might be offered? Any thoughts? Worth the wait or is the 2004 enough power?

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    It's selling like hotcakes. Current engine power got great reviews. I don't think the current V6 block would fit. Maybe they'll slightly increase the CC's with diff pistons to increase stroke but haven't heard anything.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Archmann - You'll have to drive one to determine if the current power is enough. I'm fine with the power available in my '99 model, but that's doesn't mean it'll work for you.

As for a V6, doubt it. It's more than doubt, really. I'd put money on "no".
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    2004 is enough power. A four-banger can only go so far... :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I'd say V6 is unlikely, but a moderate power boost coupled with an SE model sounds plausible. But then again it may manifest itself as the Acura version of the CR-V. I would buy one for the wife if they improve/offer 3 things: at least 16" wheels with 225/70 tires; 180-190 hp I-4; auto-off headlights.
  • northwest1northwest1 Member Posts: 65
    Any information as to whether the 2005 LX CRV will be offered with ABS (standard or as an option) and side airbags standard? I would like to see a 2WD LX CRV with both side airbags and ABS (granted, not a popular combination, but practical with decent gas mileage).

I am assuming that the 2WD CRV LX will still be offered in 2005? Thanks.
    Northwest1 - Honda will be adding (as standard equipment) side airbags, VSA, ABS, and rollover sensors on all SUVs by the end of 2006.

What that means for the CR-V in 2005 is unknown. Go here to read more.

http://hondanews.com/Forms/honda/crv/*ws4d-db-query-Show.ws4d?*ws- 4d-db-query-Show***005733***-wieck_media***-***honda(directory)cr- v(directory)***.ws4d?honda/crv/results(r)_text.html
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Well we have to remember that the more the company add to the vehicle ex.v6 more hp and so on
    the price will go up and the miles per gallon will go down in some cases. I do believe on improving to product but the more stuff they add the $$$$ total will too.

Greetings fron VA.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    a Special Edition is a typical Honda tradition towards the end of a model cycle- but I haven't seen this pop up on the Odyssey, to my dismay. The high powered four banger might be reserved for the Acura version, which will be called RDX.
  • gforce99gforce99 Member Posts: 2
    JChan2, where did you hear about the RDX? When is this vehicle coming out? I couldn't find out anything about it on the Acura website. Thank you!
  • gforce99gforce99 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know anything about Honda coming out with a hybrid CR-V? Toyota Highlander and Ford Escape are coming out soon. I think it's a great match- Accord v-6 is coming out- what a great idea to put that engine in a CR-V!:)
    gforce - The RDX has only been shown as a concept, but Acura keeps making noise about it going into production. You can find info about it here in the Edmunds auto show pages.

There are no reliable rumors regarding a hybrid CR-V.
  • arizonajoearizonajoe Member Posts: 123
    The 2005 CR-V will have more power, but still from a 4-cylinder engine (according to Car & Driver).
    Unless C&D cites a specific source, don't bet on that. I mean, it's a very reasonable guess. I'm guessing the same thing. But it's still just a guess.
  • giltibogiltibo Member Posts: 6
    In fact, if what I think is true:

1-Acura plans to have a CR-V sized SUV for the 2007 MY (The RDX)

2-There is a rumor about an IMA version of the K24 engine good for 240-250 hp in Honda's future.

Ergo: With the appearance of the next generation of the CRV, we might see a 240-250 hp version Badged as the Acura RDX.

(Last fall, I briefly saw a luxury-trimmed, RHD, CRV-sized, Honda-badged SUV somewhere near the Honda plant in Alliston (Where the RDX might very well be built...)
    saw a little article about it in an older Motor Trend. I forget which one, but it was in one of them and stated it will be based on the CR-V platform.
  • buffybaby1buffybaby1 Member Posts: 10
    I just want to say. Is it for sure that, the 2005 CRV is gonna be updated? Or will they wait till 06.Who really knows for sure.
  • jimmytjimmyt Member Posts: 4
    My son purchased a domestic vehicle with XM Satellite radio. I really like it. Both Honda and Toyota offer it only on limited models. Does anyone know if Honda will offer in in 2005 on CRV's?
    JimmyT
  • kizhekizhe Member Posts: 242
    player4: Thank you for your nice review.
    How did you copy picture to your message?
    "2002-2004 models have remained fairly unchanged ... " . Correct me if I am wrong but I think that 2003-2004 models have remained unchanged. IMO there are lots of changes between 2002 and 2003 models:(engine, body, headlights,
    tail lights, privacy grass, CD changer, noise reduction , etc.) Biggest change IMO is the whole look, which is much better.
  • icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    The only difference between 2002 and 03/04 was a widening of the storage areas so they would accomodate CD jewel cases. The big change was from 2001 to 2002.
    Icvci - And coat hooks, don't forget the coat hooks! =)

Kizhe - Down at the bottom of the screen (above the spellcheck button), there are tips on how to use HTML tags for bold, italics, and inserting images.
    icvci: You right, I mixed 2002 and 2001 models.
    I was probably misinformed by my dealer.
    Never mind the hooks, but my dealer told me ( again, for what it's worth) that they added noise dumping material to 2003 model.
  • jimmytjimmyt Member Posts: 4
    I agree- nice message, Player 4. The only thing I would like to be able to find out relates to the accessories that would be added in the 2005 model. I called Honda, but got nothing from them- obviously, a well-kept secret. Other vehicles have exterior temperature guages, compasses, wide arm rests, satellite radio (MY FAVORITE), etc. Personally, I am not into leather seats, but I am sure some really like them. If you get any other information, please let us know.
    JimmyT
    Ah... cut and paste folks... ;-)

http://www.hondapreview.com/crv/

Which is just a brain child of College Hills Honda, a dealer that has invested quite a bit in their Internet pressence. But they get their information the same way we do. By reading these boards and making educated guesses. In fact, I think they've quoted me... j/k

=)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Are availible now, I've seen them on line...
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Revised grille and headlights, upgraded brakes, "Safety for Everyone": VSA and side curtain airbags, SE model with leather and body colored bumpers, possible 5AT .
  • shooterdshooterd Member Posts: 24
    Addressing something that has always bugged me about the CR-V...the 15" wheels. They just always seemed to small for the vehicle. I dunno, maybe it's just me. LOL

Anyway, any guesses as to what rubber they'll slap onto the new 16's? Honda seems to have some troubles getting the tire selection right (see the many comments on this with regards to their choice for Pilot tires). With all the new additions to this model, it has nosed it's way back into the lead for my next purchase towards the end of the year. Had been hoping for a Pilot, but finances may keep me from pursuing that route.
    What is the advantage of having 16" wheels (rims) over 15" rims if radius of (rim+rubber) would remain unchanged IYO (in your opinion) ?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Yeah.. having thought about this upgrade and discussing it (ad nauseum). I think that it may not be the same diameter.

I had considered doing the plus one upgrade on my '02, but hanging out at BMW discussion boards convinced me not to do it.

When you have more wheel and less tire, the space between the top of the tire and the fender will "seem" visually larger. In fact, it is not, but it will look that way. All of the 3-series owners that go plus one or two, end up lowering their cars to give it the correct look.

So, if Honda just goes to 16" without increasing overall height, the CRV will actually look even more "under-tired"! And, since I can't see them lowering the car, I expect the new one, if it indeed comes with 16" wheels, will have a larger diameter tire.

IMO

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

In the same diameter, the 16" will have shorter sidewalls, which in general will flex less, giving sharper handling, at some expense to ride quality, but probably a good trade-off in the CRV tire size.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yanno, I don't really have a real valid answer for that. I think it follows the line of thinking listed above, but also falls into the category of personal likes or dislikes. Like one person liking white letter tires over blackwalls or whatever other little tiny thing one person might like over another. Had nothing to do with having a particular "advantage" over the other. Personally, I'd like to have bigger wheels AND bigger tires if possible, but that's just my personal preference of what I'd like the look to be.
    kyfdx: "I think that it may not be the same diameter. " Bigger ? Then it's o'k with me -I hope, that they will keep ratio rims/rubber unchanged.
    kyfdx: "In the same diameter, the 16" will have shorter side-walls, which in general will flex less, giving sharper handling, at some expense to ride quality " - that is exactly what I am worrying about. The ride quality of CR-V is already need improvement IMO.
    shooterd: ".. it falls into the category of personal likes or dislikes" - agree on that, but do not agree that 16" would be STANDARD.
    Give me a choice - I would choose 15", you would choose 16".
    I am suspicious of people who insist on better "handling" and more powerful engine.
    I immediately picture the guy from that Ford truck TV ad, who was trying to outdo Ford from the light stop.
    Another thought. I was visiting Canada to see my friend, who was also a president of successful high-tech Canadian company. We were waiting a taxi on the street, when a truck with that really big wheels passed by. My friend said: " The bigger wheels - the less intelligence their owner have. I never hire people who drive cars with BIG wheels" .
    People beware .... . :-)
    Wow...had no idea that tire size would elicit such a philosophical discussion. Not sure whether to infer that that comment was some slight to my intelligence or not and I shall not start spouting off about my college degrees as I tend to think that if one has to try to "convince" someone of their intelligence level, they're already behind in the race. Be that as it may, I was not wishing for HUGE tires, merely a tad larger. And I happen to know a couple of people who are very successful in their own "high tech" jobs around my neck of the woods who drive full size 4WD pickups with larger tires on them than you'll probably ever see on a CR-V. If someone would judge hiring them on the basis of their tire size, I'd be more worried about that. Nonetheless, this is an interesting "how do you do" for my initial postings in the CR-V area. Did not realize I would be challenged upon merely walking in the door. I'd like the bigger tires...there it is. Now, I'll put my dunce cap on and sit in my corner.
    Hey, shooterd: that was a JOKE, I did not mean to offend YOU.
    I did not try to challenge your intelligence - only a sense of humor.
    BTW, - you never know why they did NOT hire you/me, but hire another more or less equally qualified candidate... .
    Actually, I was also speaking about the TREND to have bigger wheels. And I do not agree with that trend. It's only wasting your money. But this was only my humble opinion.
    Welcome to Honda CR-V forum!
    Yes... bigger.. to fill up the wheel wells.

I really doubt the CRV's ride characteristics are due to the size of the tires. Just for an example, the tires on a Honda Odyssey are close to what a CRV would take in a 16" with the same outside diameter. They could easily move to that size with no ride degradation.

Your friend may be right somewhat.... but I think that is more related to the dubs and the spinners.... The CRV is under-tired by modern standards, and could easily go bigger, and improve handling. Ride could be improved by using better tires and with suspension tweaks.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You have to take the philosophy with the info.. it is a requirement..LOL.

Stick around.. you'll get a lot of good stuff here. And don't take anything personally...

Welcome to Town Hall!!

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

In my post #38 I said:
    " I was speaking about the TREND to have bigger wheels. And I do not agree with that trend. Its only wasting your money."
    Correction: "... the TREND to have bigger RIMS.. "
    I only need to make sure there would be some rubber left :-).
    2005 Honda CR-V

Honda is bringing back the Special Edition (SE) to the CR-V lineup in 2005. Although information about this model has not been released, the main features of this trim will be the addition of heated leather seats and outside mirrors along with body colored bumpers, moldings and tire cover. The basic exterior look of this SE should resemble some of the European models that are currently in production. 2005 may introduce some other minor enhancements but for the most part remain very close to the current 04 model. Rumors have been surfacing as of late about a Hybrid version CR-V or possibly a small V-6 option. At this time both are unconfirmed, however an interest in adding a Hybrid CR-V has been discussed in the past by Honda Motor Company. Don't count on either for 2005.

Some of the new accessories for 2005 will include a cargo mat, rear cargo garnish, and backup sensors. Color mix is to include White, Silver, Black, Blue, Gray, Greenish Silver, Red and Beige. Specific color names were not available.

2006 Honda CR-V

Potential EX-L (Leather) option based on the reception of the 2005 Special Edition.

2007 Honda CR-V

The next generation CR-V.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi shooterd, and don't take offense to kizhe's message - I'm sure it was meant to be good, fun banter and not a slight against you. Kizhe's been participating as a member in good standing in all of our CRV-related forums (I think he's obsessed!:))

Hope you feel welcome to continue participating.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

It's not an "obsession". We're just a nice, friendly, fanatical cult.
  • max121max121 Member Posts: 1
    I was very interested in getting the Pilot but the price is just a bit too high. I'm glad the 2005 CRV will offer leather seats.

Any ideas as to how much the SE model will cost?
  • wenwen Member Posts: 42
    Not to be ignorant, but WHEN will the 2005 CR-V's be available at Honda Dealers ?? We currently have an Acura MDX ('03 Touring w/NAV) and although a great vehicle, it does guzzle PREMIUM gas. I drive a realy clean (Florida car) '00 TL with 36K miles, I am selling (privately- hoping to get $18K) or trading in towards a CR-V. We recently moved to Connecticut and Premium gas in BOTH vehicles is a real "expense" !!
    I do not when the 2005 CR-V will go on sale , but maybe expect to see in in showrroms late fall.
  • bostonloubostonlou Member Posts: 11
    how do you know that the 2005 will have leather?? simply because someone posted it here??

well I'm posting that it will have a V8 ... so it must be true :)
    The reason we kno that is because 2005 the CR-V will be in a Special Edition (SE) and that special edition we've heard that it will have Leather. Dont think that this forum is about making up stuff we keep it real here!!!
    so what exactly will be in the SE model?
    There's pure, unsubstantiated speculation and then there's educated guessing. We cannot be absolutely certain that Honda will offer specific hardware or changes. However, we can look at the history of previous cars, Honda's announcements regarding their product direction, and other clues to rule out things (like rumors of V8s) and support others (like the return of the SE trim).

This link, plus a few color changes represent the best information I have found. If you'd like to know why I think this rumor is credible, please feel free to ask.

varmint "Honda CR-V" Apr 29, 2004 10:25am
    so that's it?
    Wow! A V-8!! Thanks, varmint.. I can't wait to trade mine in next year. So, how many horsepower in that special SE V-8? 250? 400?

Boy, this is a great forum.. I can't wait to spread the word..

Wait.... I'm confused... I can't tell unsubstantiated speculation from educated guessing.

regards,
    kyfdx
    (tongue in cheek, for the slower ones out there)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

There is NO way Honda is gonna put a V8 in a CR-V, c'mon!!!!! The Acura RL Concept didnt even get a V8 to stay head to head to its competitors, and i just dont see Honda with a V8 anytime soon, and if they do bring out a V8 it will start on Acura cars not Hondas. Just think about it Acura RL Concept getting a supercharched V6, and a little SUV the CR-V getting a V8???? Get outta here!!
    not possible at all, period. I don't even have to guess on that one.
This discussion has been closed.