Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Aveo Hatchback

Comments

• Options
    jjryanjjryan Member Posts: 9
    Anyone got a great deal online anywhere to get the window visors for the 4 door hatchback 2005 Aveo ?
  • Options
    twlkp76twlkp76 Member Posts: 3
    Why would you consider paying to have a problem that is obviously warranty related trouble shot? I was thinking about getting a new Aveo but this reminds me of the difficulty I had with Chevy Warranty service when my wife's Tahoe was new. Their attitude was, "We can't fix it so it's not a problem." We tried two different dealers and eventually had the problem fixed ourselves.
  • Options
    dkuhajdadkuhajda Member Posts: 487
    Out of balance wheels and tires at 12,000 miles are not warranty related. Most shops recommend the balance be checked every other oil change as tires wear, road bumps and curbs get hit, braking hard or gunning it from a stop even once to chirp the tires is enough to mess with the wheel/tire balance.
  • Options
    lulaskylulasky Member Posts: 8
    No...I do not even USE that lock feature! I use mine as auto transmission only and STILL I have never gotten any better than 18 in the city!!! I HAVE TRIED IT WITHOUT ANYTHING ON, EG., AIR, HEAT, LIGHTS, ETC.

I'm beginning to get a little miffed about it since gas is over $2.00/gal here!!!! Any other ideas why.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED SINCE I AM FAR FROM EVEN BEING CLOSE TO RICH!!!!!! THANKS SO MUCH!

RANDY
  • Options
    parky129parky129 Member Posts: 50
    I would suggest a more moderate driving technique since gas mileage is lower when the engine is running at a faster revolution speed in lower gears. Unless you are climbing hills all the time the transmission should shift to overdrive and give greater mileage. Keep your foot off of the floorboard and let the transmission shift to higher gears. Gas mileage is best around 55 mph rather than 70 mph. I have never gotten less than 28mpg with my auto trans, but I drive in a normal fashion with normal startup and normal speed limit driving. am not suggesting that you are doing anything abnormal, but the mileage you are getting is abnormal. Try accelerating more slowly and let the transmission shift as you increase speed, jack rabbit starts are death on gas mileage.
  • Options
    i WILL DO MY BEST TO FIND OUT. WILL YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW ABOUT AN EARLIER POST I READ...THAT THE REAR SPEAKERS HAVE A 600 WATT AMP? COULD THAT BE TRUE??????????? IF SO, I SHOULD GO AHEAD AND MOUNT THE HIGH QUALITY SUB-WOOFERS I GOT ON EBAY IN THE BACK PANEL THAT LIFTS AS THE HATCH IS RAISED.
  • Options
    OK, I have tried everything you suggested and still I can't get 18 MPG. I am a reasonably intelligent 50 year old, and I fully understand 'moderation'...this car just won't do it when it comes to city driving. I don't know what else to do barring pulling my hair out! FYI-My hatchback is loaded with about every feature one can get except sunroof and cruise control.
  • Options
    Hi,

Would you please explain "the 600 watt bass speakers". Is that standard equipment. I have never heard of that at all!!! Is it part of the standard package? How do I find out if min rears are 600 watts? Thanks so very much!
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Please stop typing in ALL CAPS. It is difficult to read and people think you are yelling at them.
  • Options
    How many miles are on the car? possibly it isn't broken in yet? Sometimes mileage is low until you get a couple of thousand miles on the engine. Are the tires inflated to 30psi? I also have the hatchback with 5000+ miles on it have every option other than door locks and power widows. Have cruise and use it all the time when I can, never have gotten less than 28mpg here in Florida. Not many hills here, that could account for higher mileage but not 10mpg?
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Is your transmission kicking into fourth? 18mpg is unacceptable, even with a tight engine. I do think Korean engines take a while to loosen up, at least my Elantra got better mpg after 5K.
  • Options
    i_l_aveoi_l_aveo Member Posts: 15
    I have '05 LS Hatchback auto with 3k in 4 month,
    I calculated 4 times, with heat running 70% of the time, riding Hi way & city: I got 24 mpg.
    Watch some gas stations are big cheaters.
  • Options
    transittransit Member Posts: 2
    I bought an "04" 5 door last June to use as my conveyance to work. I drive 200 miles a day on a combination of country roads, freeways, and city driving. I get an average of 31 mpg with speeds varying from 25 to 80 mph. It has an automatic & air conditioning and a great ride. I have racked up 39,000 miles so far and not had any problems. The vibration issues that I have read about defininately concern the Kuhmo tires, every time I rotated them I got a different vibration. I bought a new set of touring tires and it rides much smoother, specially on the sharp bumps.
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    Keep us up to date. I'm sure many of us are wondering how these cars will hold up as the miles rack up. I'm interested in the Timing belt/tensioner/water pump issues Daewoos had in the past. Also the thermostat housing issue on the 1.6.
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    what is the highest odometer reading on this forum?
  • Options
    iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    with clocks on these cars. South Korean-issued clocks.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Options
    adamjeepsadamjeeps Member Posts: 56
    Seems like 31 mpg is a little on the low side for a small car like this, what did the EPA rate it, if you recall?
  • Options
    first_timerfirst_timer Member Posts: 3
    I am a young first time car buyer who's not getting any strait answers from anyone. I really love the look of the aveo. it's so sexy. i am in love with the spicy orange hatch back with a sunroof and spoiler. but that's not the point. the point is i have checked around and talked to 'car' people and nobody seems to be able to tell me if the aveo is quality. right now my car is so crappy that the aveo is starting to look like an amazing vehicle. but i want the gods honest truth about it, from people who know first hand. thanks for any help. -t-
  • Options
    The Aveo is still too new to be much more than an unknown at this point. Yes, it is the fourth generation of the design that was once the Daewoo Lanos, which was a third generation design. One cannot directly relate the quality of the Lanos against the Aveo due to the redesign. However, there were a few common repair issues on the Lanos. Were they fixed for the Aveo? Who knows, it is too soon. Why not stop and ask everyone you see who owns one. Even check with the service people at the car rental places that rents the vehicles.

For the same money, $10-12K, you can go with a known quantity like a two year old certified Toyota Corolla and make sure to get the 100K Toyota extended warranty.

On the low end of the price spectrum, the resale value is low at best. So plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off to keep from losing big money on depreciation. Make sure you drive it under all types of conditions and several days to make sure it is the car you can live with and enjoy for years.

I have driven the Aveo sedan and it is much better than my 96 Geo Metro with 133K on it. It is a much better riding and driving car than the Metro ever was when new.
  • Options
    muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    I just checked our mileage, and it's at 5700. Besides taking delivery with a defective radio, we have had no other problems. No US source has enough info on the Aveo to talk about reliability, but hopefully they will next year.

I haven't found anything concrete to say the Aveo is bad, and it has sold well in Europe and Korea for some time, so I went with it.

Most important thing, get a good deal, because resale is likely to be bad.
  • Options
    The Aveo isn't that new, it's been out overseas for a few years.

$10-12k goes a long way these days, I see new Corollas for that price. That said, I don't want a Corolla, and neither does the gf, who spends most of the time in the Aveo.

If you want to spend under $10k, your only choices are the Rio, Accent, and Aveo. And the Aveo is the best of the three - although the Accent could also be a good choice. The Rio is horrible.
  • Options
    Sure it has been out overseas for a couple of years. But do they run the same sales numbers as the US? Do they have the same emmisions add-ons as the US? Do they also do the same level of quality surveys as in the US?

Take the Verona, Magnus, and its other names for example. Not a problem one overseas, but they botched the ECM programming when they had to meet the US EPA requirements.

I see new stripped new Corollas for $12,900. But not ones with the same equipment level as the loaded Aveo Hatchback. I personally like the Aveo Hatchback and probably will look for it as a replacement when the time comes. Especially if the roof can handle a luggage rack like on a wagon.
  • Options
    thanks for your guys opinions. i really apresheate it. my father and husband and the car sales man are all like, it's your choice. which is true. but i know absolutely nothing about cars except that my olds is, well, old, and it sux. i will check out those other cars you all suggested. i am looking of something in the 10k range. and there is a '04 aveo for just that price. when i talked to the salesman he seemed to want to sell me a used malibu more, i don't know if it's because they make more off of used or if he knows something that i don't about aveos. hmmmm. i guess time will tell.
  • Options
    Couldn't find worldwide numbers on the Aveo/Kalos/Swift+, but I'm willing to bet at least 300,000 have been sold - that's still a fairly large number of cars, and it has remained popular.
  • Options
    randydriverrandydriver Member Posts: 262
    I would be curious to see the sales figures for the 2004 aveo. I just bought the last 04 off the lot hear in town and this is march of 05 so it sat a while. It was sticked from feb. 04. The 2005's were moving out very fast in the 2 weeks I kept going back to check on the cars.
  • Options
    artooaveoartooaveo Member Posts: 2
    Hey all...

I just bought an '04 Galaxy Silver Metallic Aveo 5 dr. Hatchback...

We love it. We bought it on a Friday evening w/9100 miles on it, it already has 9400+ on it by Sunday night.

Our family of four (We also have an Astro van) can fit in it nicely. Plenty of cup holders, etc.

My 5 yr. old son already nicknamed it "Artoo Deetoo" (aka R2-D2) because of the little "chirp" when I arm the anti-theft... hence the username on this board.

I will enjoy checking back here from time to time to fill you all in on our experience with the Aveo.

btw- we had looked at purchasing a new '05 lime green one that my wife wanted to name Yoda... so the Star Wars theme just stuck when we bought the silver one.

We bought ours for less than $9k -FYI
  • Options
    I too have an Aveo, purchased new in November 04, I now have over 5000 mi on it. I have had NO problems with the car at all. I have installed cruise control and a set of original equipment alloy rims that were optional. Other than that the car is stock with auto transmission MP3 player etc, a base model Aveo. The only problems I see developing with the Aveo are owner induced, such as suspension, clutch, transmission shifting etc. All caused by owners modifying their car from stock configuration putting larger wheels on, jack rabbit starts consistently causing transmission mount to break. Altering suspension to lower car thus causing a harsher ride, removing factory exhaust system to produce more noise and wondering why the car operates differently and gives less mileage. I plan on leaving car as produced and enjoying it for a long time. It is a dependable car with an Australian Holden engine produced by GM and as a GM retiree I feel the car is an excellent value.
  • Options
    My mileage around town is about 29.5 but I just have 700 miles on the car at this time it should get better (It is a 5-speed). My open road mileage (I long distance driving) was a very good 38.2...not bad. The EPA was 27-35 so I am already doing better than that. Figure it will get better with time like my Metro did.
  • Options
    transittransit Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    tronno22556tronno22556 Member Posts: 32
    I bought this new with 34 miles on it on September 28, 2004. I did the "Fax Attack" to several (about 40) dealers in the area, asking for their best quotes. Then I refaxed them asking them to beat the best quote. I ended up with a final price of about $8300 from a dealer about 40 miles away.

I went there and found out they did not have white as specified in my fax, so was about to head out the door when the salesman said he could give me the red one for $8000. I bit. I paid $7999.02 total, taxes, tags, everything.

I got an outside loan at 3.49%. Finance officer was nasty about that. I got the handshake going into the office, but after she found out I had my own financing, no handshake leaving the office. So what. I got a deal.

Anyway, I've been changing the oil regularly every 3,000 miles with Castrol Syntec 5W30.

I use this mainly to deliver pizzas. My mileage ranges from 26 to 36, with the overall average at 28 MPG. Not as good as I had hoped. But I have about 300 lbs of tools in the back trunk.

It's amazing how big the trunk really is for such a small car (4 Dr Sedan). It holds several toolboxes.

The shifting into reverse sucks. It grinds about 20% of the time, and you really need to jam that stick into position a few times before it seats. Otherwise it'll pop out of gear. It's happened to me.

The tires suck! Kumho? What's that? I have 14,400 miles and already am down to the wear bars. I don't think it will make it to 17,000. I'll be upgrading tires next time aroung.

And yes, I've been rotating the tires every 6000 miles as recommended.

In fact, my 15,000 service interval is coming up.

Anybody know where this passenger air filter is? How do I change it? I haven't looked into the manual yet. I'll probably do that tomorrow.

I've had this on I95 well over 90 miles per hour several times. It handles fine, but seems to rev higher than it needs to.

The acceleration is quite adequate. But nothing compared to my 2000 Ford Explorer V8 AWD. In fact, when there was snow on the ground, I felt really unsafe delivering pizzas with this car that I just left it at home and took the Ford. THAT SUV kicks! (It has a set of Bridgestone Dueler REVOs on them! I had so many people call our store and complain about my driving because I was able to drive the speed limit with that vehicle in the snow.)

I'm very happy with the car. I haven't driven it in summer yet. No air conditioning. We'll see if I'm forced to drive the SUV in the hot days.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Great review!

Welcome to the Forums...for a first post, you've made quite an impression. Hope too see you posting more in the days/months/years to come.
  • Options
    Don't let the cheap oem tires make you scared of Kumho. They're one of the two top rated brands on Tire Rack. My '01 Elantra had Michelin Energies, also an awful oem tire, although in this case not a CHEAP oem tire.

The Kumho Ecstas averaged 8.8 on the "would you buy again? question and cost $41 (195x60-15). The Michelin Energies cost $103 and garnered 5.7 on the same question.
  • Options
    ceestandceestand Member Posts: 6
    It's behind the glovebox. The manual does a reasonable job on instructing its replacement.

>Anybody know where this passenger air filter is? How do I change it? I haven't looked into the manual yet. I'll probably do that tomorrow.
  • Options
    Nah, not the hold button. Although it's not clear on the website, ("Transmission: four-speed automatic (Hold Control mode with adaptive shift control logic)"), in the brochure the ASCL is described as the gearbox adapting to your shift patterns over time. It sounds like BS to me on a car as inexpensive as the Aveo, but it's in all the documentation. Unfortunately it's only a passing mention each time.
  • Options
    I tried to purchase a shop manual for my 2005 Aveo from Chevy, but those pickle bandits want $135 for the set, plus they're not yet available. Does anyone make an aftermarket shop guide? If not, how close would a shop manual for the Lanos or whatever else it's called in Canada, get me to the Aveo?

I'd like to do my own maintenance as much as possible. I've got 2000 miles on mine since I bought it in Feb. The only issues I have had are it gives some resistance when shifting into drive from neutral or above, but not from D1 or D2. Also, the vent fans in the dash make a rattling noise when they first start up for about 30 seconds. Neither issue is worth the gamble of the shop guys getting their hands on it.
  • Options
    I am looking for a bra for my aveo where is a good place to find one?
  • Options
    igdtnigdtn Member Posts: 6
    I want to get one to I have the hatchback
  • Options
    You might want to check the web page for your local library. We have both Chilton and AllData on line. Chiltons can be checked out on home computers with a card.
  • Options
    does anyone know how the aveo handles in the snow? i live in upstate/western ny and snow is a BIG factor when looking for a car. i'm going to be test driving a '04 an a couple weeks and who knows if we'll have snow at that time. right now there's no snow, but we've been know to get snow in may....(let's hope not!)
  • Options
    I had to take my car to the dealer this morning. The dome light is not working. I noticed it the night I picked it up....they have to order me a bulb of all things. I know the car is new and they dont have a lot of part yet but ahhhgg! whew now I feel better. Has anyone else had a problem with the dome light?
  • Options
    Just got my Aveo Thursday, the '05 LS for under 10K. I felt the delivery condition of the vehicle was excellent. For such an economical car the fit/alignment was very tight. Better than I expected.

Does anyone know the best speeds/rpm's for each gear to get maximum MPG with the 5spd manual transmission. I know not to make the engine lug but how high is enough? The salesman said to keep it in the 2500-3500RPM range. So far, so good--26MPG for my first tank--mostly country roads 35-45 MPH speeds with lots of ups and downs combined with city driving. Car has only about 200 miles on it.
    When should I use 5th gear?
    Should I downshift a lot when slowing or just slip it into neutral and roll to a stop?

I haven't driven a stick in 20 years and didn't worry about the mileage back then.
  • Options
    my previous two cars(both metros) did not have a tach so I had to shift by ear. Now I have a tach and am still shifting by ear. I am not lugging the engine but I dont get over 3000rpm. Around 30-35 I am in 5th gear. I get 29.5 around town and about 38 on the Hiway at speed of 60-65mph.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The owner's manual should give you tips on shift points, but I've always used 15-25-35-45 mph as a general guideline for 5-speed sticks. You'd want to shift at higher speed if you need better acceleration. As for keeping it in the 2500-3500 range, the lower the rpms, the better the fuel economy (without lugging the engine of course). I often keep my Elantra automatic at 1500 rpms while cruising around town (level road), and try to keep my 5-speed around 2000 rpms as much as possible (not possible over about 50 mph). But the Elantra has more power and torque than the Aveo, so those rpms may not be practical for you.

On downshifting, I prefer to leave the car in gear but not downshift, then just before stopping (or when the engine starts to lug) slip it into neutral. I think it's safer to leave the car in gear than to coast in neutral--gives me more control of the car.
  • Options
    sbspencesbspence Member Posts: 16
    The dealer has a pretty good assortment of things for the Aveo. I bought a bug shield, and a set of flaps from them and the price was pretty fair.

If not your dealer you might try ebay (altho I've not seen one yet)... HTH!
  • Options
    lauren311lauren311 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i am considering purchasing a 2004 aveo tomorrow and i was wondering if you would mind sharing who you got the cheapest price from? please respond as soon as possible. thank you so much.
    thanks. lauren in texas.
  • Options
    sparxxxsparxxx Member Posts: 14
    good morning all. I was curious about the stock cd/mp3 player in the Chevy Aveo. Does it display text such as song title, band name, etc?

thanks
  • Options
    MP3 player has full display, track title etc.
  • Options
    rsmith1rsmith1 Member Posts: 9
    Randy,
    Try www.colgancustom.com or www.autoanything.com for a bra for your car. They have them in stock and it is where I bought one for my Aveo Hatchback.
  • Options
    hey, thanks for the infor about the bra. I am going to check it out.
  • Options
    Are you talking new or used? I just bought a 2005 LS Hatchback and all the local Chevy dealers were very interested in dealing. Unfortunately today is the last day of the last month of the first quarter, today was your best day to buy. Chevy did have dealer incentives through their "March Madness" Program. They may very well have something similar in April, especially on any "March Madness" vehicle that didn't sell. Or maybe March Madness will continue a week or so.

Good Luck