Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• fitzstowefitzstowe Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have the same problem with my 05 tacoma trd, had new tires put on last fall ( a wee bit larger than stock) and started to develop the front end howl this spring. It's getting worse and I'm going to have the dealer check it out.

Any guess on what it is?

Bob
    New Jersey
  • gymbogymbo Member Posts: 37
    I'm curious about the shifting of this automatic tranny.One day mine will shift into overdrive at 35 mph and the next it will be 40 to 45.Driving around 40,it is subject to go in and out of 5'th gear.Accelerate and I get 4'th,ease up and I get 5'th.I also always notice the shift between 1'st and 2'nd.Does any of this sound familiar or did I get a special one.15k miles on an 05.
    Thanks
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    I changed the oil on my 2005 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 yesterday and happened to look up at the boot on the shaft from the transfer case to the front axel. This boot is right next to the catalytic converter which I think everyone can acknowlege is very, very hot.

The heat shield on the cat converter doesn't seem to be working very well. There is substantial cracking in it and I can see that at about 33 months and 25k miles, this boot will fail a couple of years from now. Anyone have any experience with this problem or know of a TSB on it?
  • kenmorekenmore Member Posts: 5
    my first season with a pickup truck. it snows where i live. are there any issues with snow accumulating in the pickup bed? can you just leave it in there? do you shovel it out? what should i expect this winter without a tonneau cover?
  • shaun5shaun5 Member Posts: 1
    My 05 tacoma had the rear squeak and i couldnt handle it anymore. I put a 3" lift on my truck and i figured they were going to tell me to piss off, but i took it in and there is a TECHNICAL SERVICES BULLETIN (TSB) on the rear squeak/squish. They replace the silencer pads and spacer....under warranty.
  • ljtrucknutljtrucknut Member Posts: 4
    I have been to 3 dealers on 4 occasions and they all say this is normal. Have you heard of any solutions or stories of anyone getting this driveline problem fixed. Help from any Tacos out there?
    I recently purchase a 05 Tacoma crewcab V6 and the "clunking" when I stop and start is driving me crazy. 3 Toyota dealers and 4 visits and they all say it is normal. Does anyone have an update on this??
    I have the answer - as other Tacos have advised - remove the 2 bolts that hold the driveline center coupling (mark position first, very important), drop and remove driveline from transmission, apply liberal synthetic (works best) bearing grease to spline teeth inside the end of the driveline and reassemble. Having the coupling bolted together exactly in the same position (straight, front to back) is important to avoid vibration as I was told.

Happy trucking -
  • teamgekkoteamgekko Member Posts: 13
    I had my spare tire and my tailgate stolen a few months ago. I've yet to replace my spare tire but my question relates to the under the truck carrier (the cable lift). It basically (over about a week or two) comes down automatically. I'm wondering when I put the new spare on it, will the cable continue to come down everynow and then? I don't remember exactly what the cable lift carrier looked like before the theft of the tire but after my insurance had a look at it, I was under the impression everything was still in place (with the exception of the spare tire). Is it possible I'm missing a pin or something that keeps the cable lift from falling and/or will the aftermarket spare tire lock solve my problem?.....Any help would be appreciated. Thanks jeremy
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    Well, of course, I can't see your truck, but my feeling is that once your new wheel is secured by the cable mechanism, you'll be able to lock it up sufficiently that it won't come loose again until you need it. Hope I'm right....I'd try it if I were you.
  • offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    Hi fellows,need any advice,been shopping for tonneaus,which one is better of the two,water proof wise,are both compatible with factory bed extenders,i have 05 tacoma double cab with short bed.any suggestions will help...
  • subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    CMON TOYOTA, GIVE US THE HILUX. YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!!! AT LEAST GIVE US ITS TD IN THE TACOMA EVEN IF THEY DONT GET IT IN CALIFORNIA. CALIFORNIANS NEED TO CAUSE SOME RUMBLE WITH THEIR LEGISLATORS.
  • ultratechultratech Member Posts: 142
    Since we're at it, any news on the 09 Tacoma yet ?
  • dr_turbodr_turbo Member Posts: 60
    Does anyone else have this noise while running their wipers? I took it to the dealer and it just so happened to be raining so I had the wipers going constantly and the noise went away. When it was cold and I first put them on I could really hear the squealing noise, almost like it was in the transmission/gearing.
    The service mgr has an FJ model and his wipers just started making that same noise.

paul
  • mikeinsandiegomikeinsandiego Member Posts: 3
    Hello there, does anyone know how I could possbly order or buy a automatic X-runner? I have a Pre-runner now and it is too high for me lifting my pool equipment in and out of to do my servicing business. I really like the options on the X-runner, but dont want a manual. Has anyone tried to do this? buy or order a automatic X-runner? Please help me, i want to buy a new one in the next few months.

Thanks,
    mike
    mikeeverhart@yahoo.com
  • eddabloweddablow Member Posts: 9
    Does anybody know if the v6 used in the 2005 and up is a interference engine or a non interference engine.???
  • backfortybackforty Member Posts: 6
    That's a very interesting question Ed, I also would like to know the answer to that one if anyone knows. I think that it has a chain and not a belt but thats all I know.
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    I hope you're not asking because you need to figure out what all that rattling is inside your cylinders! Fingers crossed here.
  • rocklarockla Member Posts: 12
    it has a drive chain if that helps
  • jomano1jomano1 Member Posts: 4
    I have been hearing this noise since purchasing the car in '05 and asked the dealer about it twice and I think that they believe I'm crazy. To date it has gotten so bad that I can't even keep the heat on. Funny enough it is worse when the heat is on than the AC. I don't know what to do. Have you found a solution since posting?
  • buskybusky Member Posts: 2
    my 07 tachoma top hwy mpg is 15.5 dealer says no check engine light no problems, they suggested putting different tires on the truck,(my wallet), the tailgate was replaced at 1,500 miles because it would not hold the weight of my harley, the plastic compartments in the bed keep falling out, right rear speaker rattles, hood flops from windgusts. FOR SALE only12,000 miles. i bought this truck on the reputation of past toyota trucks, so much for that. oh i almost forgot it blows black soot on the rear quarter from the exhaust, dealer had no answer.
    :surprise: Sounds like you need a new dealer.
  • surfsuplsurfsupl Member Posts: 2
    Went to Toyota today and was talking to a sales rep and he informed me that the 2008 PreRunner no longer will have 4cy engines.Only 6cyl. Also the standard tacoma accsess/dc will no longer have v6 in them. Only 4cyl. Kind of sucks!...If you want a v6, you have to buy a PreRunner now. $$$$$$$$.......
  • dredoggdredogg Member Posts: 7
    HI all of you 05' and up tacoma owners and soon to be owners. I just wanted to let you know another tall tail of mine concerning the 05' tacoma I purchased BRAND NEW CROOKED off the lot. By the way toyota my truck is still CROOKED and for the dealershit to tell me "It falls into SPECS", come on toyota you are not going to get that number one spot doing this kind of @%$#. Anyway this past weekend I replaced my spark plugs and THANK GOD I did not put it off anymore because to start off the ridiculousness, three of them were torqued down to barely 5ft pds if that. And then there were three NGK and three Denso plugs. Why two different brands of plugs in a BRAND NEW truck is beyond me. toyota your reputation is going down and we will see if you get that number one spot on HONESTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    2008 Indianapolis Auto Show. I was looking at the 2008 Toyota Tacoma in it's most basic form. Toyota sells it as a 3 passenger truck, but I can't see fitting 3 people in it. I'd like to see the automatic shift back on the column so that a third person could actually fit in the single cab. Does anyone know if Toyota will bring back this configuration? I don't want/need an extra-cab. Any info. would be appreciated! Thanks to all.
  • surfsuplsurfsupl Member Posts: 2
    I read here and on other sites allot about wind noise coming in around the doors or mirriors mounted to the doors. I have wind noise but not much. When I got out of my truck the other day my A/C was on high and I shut the door......well I don't know if anyone has ever noticed this but I get allot of air coming through my door lock where the key goes?????????....I have a 2000 prerunner also and I tried the same thing and no air escaping my lock???....Could it be on windy days wind penetrating the door locks making all this noise????.......I would hope not!....
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I went to Fitzmall's website looking for a price on an 08 Prerunner standard cab and was told in their 5 state area Toyota does not market the Prerunner in the standard cab. They're located in Maryland. Can anyone confirm this?
  • greencabingreencabin Member Posts: 3
    wondering if anybody has one of these and how you like it
    is it weatherproof, keep dust out ?
    how does it attach?
    how's it do at highway speeds - noise?
    looking to sleep in the back on trips
  • boondockerboondocker Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 TRD offroad tacoma with 4 doors and was looking to get new tires. I got a steal on a set of Goodyear Wranglers 285-75-16, and was wondering what I should do to get the tires to clear. I want to get some Mojaves with teflon coating by American Racing and when I called a shop, they said 285 would not fit. I saw some "spacers" that gave a 2'' lift in the front and was wondering if they work well and if they would even work. Please let me know....Thanks!!
    :blush:
  • mtb2112mtb2112 Member Posts: 1
    A few have commented on a similar problem... I'm in the process of trying to convince may dealer of the problem.

Noise is subtle, but really irritating-- sort of a high pitched buzz/vibration.. almost insect-like. Audible (to me at least) maybe 80% of the time I have fan on. More obvious at low fan speeds. I ititially thought a pine needle or something had gotten into the fan, but dealer say's it's clean.

Like others, I feel crazy when I describe to a dealer.. maybe I have bionic ears or something- but it irritates the crap out of me when I hear it. Anybody ever get a definitive diagnosis/remedy? I'm about to argue to just get a new fan ordered under warranty...
  • jomano1jomano1 Member Posts: 4
    After the noise raised from needing bionic ears to being so loud it sounded like a track from "Psycho", I pulled the fan unit out myself and took it apart. The motor was full of bearing dust. After cleaning it I put anti-seize lubricant on it and it made it worse. I called my dealer (who gives an automatic 6K extended warranty to get customers) and I was honest with them that I took it apart. Since I had complained about three previous times on record they looked at it, ordered a new blower unit, and replaced it for free. Now, I'm not 100% satisfied b/c I still hear an odd noise that none of my previous automobiles have made when the fan is on but given what it was like, I'll take it. Tell your dealer that the blower unit motor has defective bearings. They have to actually remove the unit, behind the glove box, and open it up, remove the motor, and look at it and they will see that the motor is all scratched from the bearings.

Honestly, Toyota should do a recall on this because it still isn't perfect and Toyota does boast that it makes a "perfect" product.
    Honestly, Toyota should do a recall on this because it still isn't perfect and Toyota does boast that it makes a "perfect" product.

No they really don't. LEXUS boasts a Relentless Pursuit of Perfection, in various iterations over the years..... Toyota boasts very little, actually... Their reputation is nearly perfect though. They are still machines - it's a miracle they work at all. We are SO SPOILED these days....

Go find a 1957 Chevy truck, and turn the fan on (if it even had one, and if it will work) - see how the noise is...,... You won't be able to tell, because the REST of the damn thing will be so loud!
  • mtbensonmtbenson Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in hearing from anyone with experience plowing snow with a Tacoma. How well does it work for residential use? What's a good plow for this truck?

I would be using it for two driveways here in northwest PA. One is paved, about 800 feet long, with about 30 feet of elevation. The other is 600 feet, unpaved, about 50 feet of elevation from bottom to top.

Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice!
  • pilotpilot Member Posts: 9
    I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAS A HOMELINK REAR VIEW MIRROR AND WHERE TO GET A GOOD DEAL,
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Anyone know when the 2009's are scheduled to hit the dealers? I'm considering a 2008 Prerunner base cab but want to wait until a few months before the 2009's are out.
  • jbranson06jbranson06 Member Posts: 1
    Noticed your truck is licenced in AZ, where at? I'm trying to find a good look for my 07 Tacoma, I'd like to check yours out. I think I'm gonna go with Goodyear Wrangler 285/70R17 not sure about the wheels though. I like your wheels.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    I found this good deal. $880 for 7yr/100k mile Toyota Platinum warranty for a 4x4 V6 Tacoma. Your particular model might cost even less than this.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=209848

;)
    Yeah, I've got a Homelink Mirror. I got it on Ebay.

I have some pics and install instructions in my CarDomain. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/832238
    X-runners only come in Access Cab, 2wd, V6, 6-speed Manual trans.
  • csprafcspraf Member Posts: 6
    scangauge for 110.00 ? who sells for this price
    That's probably for the ScanGuage1, not the new ScanGauge2
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Can someone point me to some info on the 2.7L 4cyl engine? Wikipedia has nothing on it, and I've googled myself silly. I would like a brief history of the engine, and maybe the genealogy. For example, is it related to the old 22RE? is the block cast iron, or aluminum? Timing chain, or belt? (assume chain). Forged crank and pistons, or cast? What is the engine weight? I can't find that info anywhere.

Any info appreciated!

Thanks,,,
  • thechad1thechad1 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Taco Forum,
    I have received very helpful information from this forum in the past. I hope someone can help me out. I have a 2008 TRD access cab. I am experiencing a slight whistling noise coming from the driver side of the car at speeds of 70 or greater. The noise is coming from somewhere between the access cab up to the front driver side windshield. It is a sharp whistling sound. It just started happing. I have 1400 miles on my taco. How can I fix this whistling sound?
    I've delivered a few 06 & 07 'Taco's lately - I've been very disappointed with the build quality on them, from a normal Toyota perspective. I don't know what's going on, but there are odd things like whistles, leaks and rattles in some of them, which was unheard of before. OF course, if you're covered, take it back to the dealer and demand the problem be addressed.
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Member Posts: 41
    This subject hasn't been mentioned for awhile but it is so easy to do that anyone can do it. Open the glove box and carefully pull off the door damper at its rear connection. The damper just presses on to a post but it is plastic and will get loose if you are not careful. The blower is right behind the glove box. There is a horizontal door that folds down. Open this door and slide in a cut-to-fit filter that you can cut out of any household filter. I cut several filters out of one so now I can change it as often as I want and it doesn't cost me anything. It's up to you what type of filter you want to use and how much to spend on it. I bought a good accordian-type filter. It sure keeps the cabin cleaner. I've had mine installed for three years now and am real happy with the results.
  • vanhalen2000vanhalen2000 Member Posts: 2
    I get this too. I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan, coincidentally it's white, after it rains, black streaks, mainly under the rear side windows, also rear hatch door, also some other places but less noticeable (like under the front headlights). I used a wax/polish on the entire vehicle, plus I did the roof rack and all black rubber/plastic trim on the vehicle just in case the black streaks were coming from that, but surprisingly I still get streaks. I can't get in the crevice around the middle side windows because they are "floating glass", but I don't think the streaking is coming from there because then every Caravan on the road would have streaks. I've seen this same streaking on a sedan in a parking lot recently, strangely enough it was white. The van looks absolutely terrible, don't know what to do.
  • groovyfreakgroovyfreak Member Posts: 5
    http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm#2

check out this great site...it will answer lot of your octane questions..

I also use 87 octane and find no significant difference compared to 91. After you read/access the info above, you too will agree that using higher octanes in your v6 Taco is actually more harmful than not. According to the site info above, using high octane in engines with lower compression will eventually mess up your catalytic converters (hence the stink smell). Please read the info...
    2008 Tacoma V6 Double Cab TRD Sport
  • groovyfreakgroovyfreak Member Posts: 5
    Hey Guys,
    Check out this link for answers/info to the octane question.
    http://theserviceadvisor.com/octane.htm#2

2008 Tacoma Sport double cab, flowmasters (50 series).
  • ctrlctrl Member Posts: 4
    Iron block, chain and all forged.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Iron block, chain and all forged.

Thank you ctrl. I guess everyone gets the V6, but with gas expected to approach $5 a gallon this summer, I'm glad I went with the 4cyl.

Do you happen to know if the auto trans has a lockup torque converter, and at what speed it locks up?