Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma 2005+

Comments

• groovyfreakgroovyfreak Member Posts: 5
    I just got a 2008 DC Sport Taco and I am wondering if the Mother's Carnuba Polish is any good. I am looking for an easy polish with great protection and shine. I would also like this polish to be "powder free" and not leave behind powder on the windshield and stuff...thanks

Hawaiian Sunshine...
  • bigandybigandy Member Posts: 70
    You guys are forgetting that these engines have variable valve timing and other tweaks that allow them to properly use higher octane fuel. My own experience is that the mileage is actually better with 91 octane, but not enough to make it pay for itself. I thus use 87 octane all the time in a 2005 4x4 TRD Access Cab with 6 and 6 speed manual.
  • pb2themaxpb2themax Member Posts: 471
    Well, which one do you want? A polish or a wax? They're totally different products. A polish cleans and repairs paint damage. A wax/sealant protects the paint and adds gloss. I did a detailing How-To here http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126955
  • saesae Member Posts: 1
    my toyota recently started squeking when in reverse but stops if i put it in neutral while coasting backwards. if i go fast enough in reverse it stops but starts back up when i slow down any guess what this could be. only does it in reverse, not drive
  • bolucaboluca Member Posts: 32
    I would like to find a used access cab, 4x4 with manual trans. Any idea what year I would need to start looking at to get stability control and side airbags? I know it might be hard but those things are important to me.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    The last 2 Toyota trucks I bought had a bottle of sealant/wax in the glove box. That stuff is amazing. It makes the paint so shiny and slick it's hard to believe. They sell it at the dealers, too.
  • offroader3offroader3 Member Posts: 37
    I have a question,I have a 05 Tacoma double cab,been struggling with wind noise 70-80 mph when it's windy.Anyway I took it to the dealer but didn't fix the issue.My question is does changing the whole windshield will fix this issue???
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    My guess is that it has nothing to do with the windshield.

I get wind noise at the doors at 55-60mph. It's probably hopeless above 70mph. I don't think wind noise is a priority on pickup trucks, and I doubt Toyota will fix it.
  • jomano1jomano1 Member Posts: 4
    I agree with responder. Its a truck...not a luxury car. Wind noise is going to be an issue, especially with a sliding back window if present. If you want a car free of wind noise you should buy a Lexus or a Mercedes.
    If you are talking about a whistling noise at 70-80 in a high cross wind, there is a TSB on this and I had no trouble getting Toyota to fix it. You don't have to live with it.

I used a digital camera to record a short movie showing:

1) my speed
    2) the noise itself, which is unmistakable.

I had to play it back for the service manager in the showroom to get away from all the shop noise, but he heard it and they fixed it.

Here's the link to the TSB:

http://clem.mscd.edu/~reesegr/NV006-07.pdf
  • eforsstromeforsstrom Member Posts: 5
    I have the same clunk in my 2005 Dbl Cab 4x4 and my 2003 Dbl Cab 4x4 that I had before. I keep getting the 'its normal' speech too. I would love to hear if the jewelers grease (or anything else) fixes it.
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab - The A/C - Heater blower inside all of a sudden will not operate at any other speed than full Hi. All the other positions on the fan switch are the same as Off. If the A/C button is On it does light up on all the speed settings, however the fan only blows on the highest setting. Any ideas?
  • tacomaguytacomaguy Member Posts: 41
    I have a 6 cylinder '05 TRD Prerunner 2-wheel drive automatic with the towing package. Would like to hear from anyone who has experience towing a heavy camping trailer with this truck. How much did the trailer weigh? How long was it? Issues? Am I limited to just pulling boats and small trailers? I know the truck is rated for towing a certain weight load but how realistic is it?
    I tow a 1k trailer with 2k of ATV and camping gear. Acceleration has no noticeable effect until I get to 70+ mph. MPG drops to 16 on highway.

I do notice the load on my brakes. The trailer has no brakes and with 3k behind me, it takes longer to stop, so be careful.

I have 05 Dbl Cab 4x4.
  • xatlxxatlx Member Posts: 1
    for some reason my 2005 4x4 dbl cab Tacoma happen the same thing any one can help me with this situation ?? plz give me a email on what happen , this happen aaround 5/20/2008
  • mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    Hey all, I just today bought a new 2008 DC LB 4x4 in speedway blue. It didn't come with a security system so I'm wondering what y'all like in that regards?

A local shop recommends the Viper 560xv.
  • janice96janice96 Member Posts: 19
    Got a 06 Tacoma a year ago.Does anyone know where a good set of seat covers can be gotten??
    Janice
  • wsuiterwsuiter Member Posts: 6
    i got the TRD Neoprene seat covers for my '05 dbl cab. they work like a charm. water proof, and thick, so they save the OEM seats. They dont make that for the back seats, so i got a generic cover from petsmart that slips over, is also waterproof and is washable. i took them both off after having them on for over two years and my seats look brand new. washed the covers and put them back on. the TRD covers i got off of a toyo dealer on ebay for about $100, which is about $120 off of list i believe.
  • highsmith16highsmith16 Member Posts: 1
    hmmmmm called two different dealers and they samed confused aswell about the service but not about the price What is going on 2006 Pre Runner due 30000 mile check up :confuse:
  • ksenatorksenator Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone tell me why the GVRW on my 2005 DC LB 4x4 is only 850 pounds but the similar Nissan Frontier is rated at 1392 pounds

I wanted to put a small cab over camper on it but at 850 pounds it is impossible
  • mcs726mcs726 Member Posts: 1
    you need to replace the blower motor resistor, you can buy this from the dealership only or internet. it under the or around the glove box compartment at the duct work next to the motor.
  • sed2sed2 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience installing a keyless entry pad on the new generation Tacoma? Current vehicle is an '07 DC TRD 4X4...any info and insight would be greatly appreciated...Thanks for the help!
    My town is getting hit hard by converter thieves. Toyota trucks, with their high clearance, bolt-on converters and precious metals in the unit, are prime targets. There is a company that sells wire cages made out of aircraft cables. They can't be cut with a sawzall and they are connected to the truck so even if the pipes are cut they can't pull the unit loose. About $238.00 as I recall. On trips, or if you park in a lot during the day, someone could cut off an un-protected unit in seconds. I wouldn't advise trying to cover it with a skid plate or similar protecter because of the heat build up. Thoughts?
    catclamp.com sells a converter guard made out of aircraft wire for $269.95.
    Most people have insurance deductibles higher than that, so any theft loss is going to cost you out of pocket expense to get it replaced. Besides, you can transfer it to the next vehicle when you decide to sell. Anyone who ever parks their truck in an un-guarded area, should look into this product.
  • jaybird12jaybird12 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2005 tacoma sport double cab. My airbag light recently came on and when I brought it to the dealership I was told that the left front sensor had corroded along with the wire harness. I was then told that this was a repair upwards of $3000!! Does anyone know if this is a recall, I can't see how this can be considered normal wear and tear on a 3 year old truck.

Thanks
    Jay
    i have a '05 dbl cab off road, my light came on about a month ago and i took mine in to the dealer. i have a 100,000 bumper to bumper warranty, i now found out it isn't so bmpr to bmpr. They told me that the computer behind the driver air bag went out and that the warranty does not cover it and that i need to shell out $890 bucks to get it replaced. i dont know what is going on, i was waiting to hear if someone else was having the same problem. my compass/temp went out (another $1,000) but the warranty people covered that. i guess when i am laying in the middle of the road dying from an injury because my airbag doesn't work, at least the EMS people will know what the temp. is outside and which direction i was facing. i haven't replaced my computer yet, i dont know if i will. i looked into it a little bit and have not been able to find any recalls. if i find one, i will be sure to post it on here, anyone else, PLEASE do the same.

Thanks, Wayne
    had the same thing happen on my '05 dbl cab. Found out it is the u-joint from the trany to the d-shaft. parts and labor at my dealer was $42. works great now and have had no more issues.

Thanks,
    Wayne
  • jaybird12jaybird12 Member Posts: 10
    My compass/temp just recently went out also. The other problem with my airbag light being on is that my truck will not pass inspection in MA until it is fixed. My next move will be to try and find a local machanic that can splice these wires until I figure out what Im going to do in the long run.
  • LeoRiveraLeoRivera Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2005 tacoma and the srs(airbags) light came on and and its been on for a good while. I connected the comp to it and it game a PO198 code. Does anyone know that that means? The comp says the code info is not available. Looked it up on all data and that code is not even listed.
  • 1repair_joe1repair_joe Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ford Bronco II Eddie Bauer Edition that a friend gave me. I need to have it smogged but cannot get it passed due to a missing hose. I do not see where the hose should connect to stop the escape. Does anyone have a similar truck that you can help me find the solution to my problem. I would rather do it myself and save some money on it. Just to have the diagonistic it will cost another $100. Maybe some one out there can give me some info. Thanks, :shades:
  • kwingkwing Member Posts: 5
    At 90,000 miles my 2006 Toyota Tacoma (Extended Cab, 4WD, 6 cy, auto, TRD) came up with the following problems:

1 & 2) air bag light went on - a coil under the air bag broke and oil pressure sensor wire/harness needed to be replaced because the wire broke ($680 to fix - already done).
    3) compass/temp stopped working ($289 to fix - it's not getting fixed).
    4) oil leak - timing chain cover needs to be resealed ($1400 to fix - going in today)

Those are the bad things, but they are the first problems and my front brakes lasted 85,000 miles and my rear ones have not needed to be replaced. I went through brakes every 30,000 to 40,000 on my last truck, which was a Ford Ranger.
    Regarding the compass/temp problem, you can fix it yourself if you know how to solder. There's only one screw holding the whole unit in place. Push it toward the front of the truck and then pull down to get it out. There are two cable groups that unplug and and then get the circuit board out. Resolder the two resistors marked "510" and you're back in business. If the compass needs to be reset there is TSB available that shows to do it. Google the TSB.
  • choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2006 4 door Sport V-6. I have had it since new, and it currently has 45,000 miles on it. I just started noticing (or it just started happening) a noise that sounds like a spark plug knock. It occurs when you accelerate between 40 and 50 mph. It is similar to the sound I used to hear with the old GM V8s. It is a knocking and pinging sound. Since day 1, I have used unleaded regular. If any one could give me any insight or perspective on what to do, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
  • choppedntubbedchoppedntubbed Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2006 4 door Sport V-6. I have had it since new, and it currently has 45,000 miles on it. I just started noticing (or it just started happening) a noise that sounds like a spark plug knock. It occurs when you accelerate between 40 and 50 mph. It is similar to the sound I used to hear with the old GM V8s. It is a knocking and pinging sound. Since day 1, I have used unleaded regular. If any one could give me any insight or perspective on what to do, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
  • robin2226robin2226 Member Posts: 14
    Is this true that :
    1/ Tacoma 2004 and earlier used timing belt ???
    2/ Tacoma 2005 and later used timing chain ??
    3/ Tacoma has switch to 2.7 engine due to bigger chassis , in what year ??
  • tjyodertjyoder Member Posts: 22
    We have a 2005 toyota and about a year into it the parking brake started locking up. It typically happened at the lake when pulling our boat in or out. As it got worse the only way to release it was to jack up the truck and remove the tire off the side stuck and bang on the drum - released quite easily with a few taps. We took it into Toyota on warranty and they said nothing was wrong.

It just locked up on Sunday - and when trying to move with a boat on the back (not always convenient to take a tire off) - the back differential went. Now they have an e brake and rear differential to fix - thank god for extended warranties.
  • lasronchaslasronchas Member Posts: 1
    does any body. know whats the weigth rating on the stock spring coils for v6 4x4 06 taco and what can i replace them with, i wold like to run the bilstein 5100 with a softher spring. in advance thank you.
  • ritz18ritz18 Member Posts: 1
    I am buying my first truck and I would really like it to be a Tacoma, does anyone have suggestions on what style and year to buy? I am looking to spend $15,000- $18,000.

Thank You
    Apparently there is a major recall of multiple Toyota models regarding floor mats on the driver's side that can interfere with the accelerator and cause a crash. It includes the 2005-2010 Tacoma and 2007-2010 Toyota Tundra. Now ya know!
    I have the bright red paint on my '05 Prerunner pickup. The base of the hood scoop and the two door handles have all faded to almost a pink color. (I have to park it outside.) Dose anyone else have this problem and is there any recourse now? I bought it new in May of 2005 and it only has 29K miles on it. The dealer's body shop wants $300.00+ to paint those three items.
  • buffalonickelbuffalonickel Member Posts: 113
    Did you ever resolve the leak issue in your truck? I also own an '05 Tacoma and experience the same leak problem. I can see no evidence of it leaking from the firewall or dashboard as the carpet appears to be dry in the upper areas. The underneath of the dashboard is also dry. I am suspicious that this is coming in on the side somewhere. We are experiencing a very heavy rain--close to 6 inches over the past 12 hours. The passenger side is dry as a bone. The truck was sitting in a parking lot all day. I discovered the problem when I went out to drive the truck home.
  • greasyfacegreasyface Member Posts: 2
    I PURCHASED MY TRUCK THINKING IT HAD A BED LINER INSTALLED IN IT.
    WHEN THE WINTER SNOWS CAME I SHOVELED SNOW INTO THE BED FOR
    ADDED TRACTION AS I HAVE DONE INTERMITTENLY FOR YEARS WITH MY
    OTHER PICKUPS. TO MY SUPRIZE WHEN I WENT OUT THE NEXT MORNING
    MY TRUCK APPEARED TO HAVE A DUMP BED INSTALLED ON IT. THE BED
    WAS RAISED ABOUT TWO INCHES IN THE FRONT FROM WHERE IT WAS ORIGINALLY POSITIONED. I HURRIEDLY SHOVELED SNOW FROM THE BACK OF THE BED TO THE FRONT AND THE BED DROPPED BACK DOWN
    EVENTUALLY. I LOOKED AT THE BED AND DISCOVERED IT WAS MADE
    OF PLASTIC EXCEPT FOR THE BODY PANELS.- BAD DESIGN- F.Y.I
    JUST CURIOUS IF ANYBODY HAS HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE.
  • greasyfacegreasyface Member Posts: 2
    MY TRUCK HAS A 2.7 FOUR CYLINDER IN IT. AFTER I BOUGHT IT I CHANGED OIL IN IT AND TOOK OFF DOWN THE ROAD TO DISCOVER THAT IT LOST ITS
    PEP SO TO SPEAK SO I CAME HOME AND CHECKED THE OIL LEVEL AGAIN.
    THE OIL READING WAS EXACTLY ON THE FULL MARK WITH THE TRUCK PERFECTLY LEVEL ON LEVEL GROUND AND I HAD INSTALLED THE CORRECT TYPE OF OIL AND FILTER. I THEN PROCEEDED TO DRAIN OUT
    SOME OIL UNTIL THE STICK SHOWED HALFWAY BETWEEN THE ADD AND FULL MARKS AND I REGAINED MY PEP AGAIN. I AM NOW ONLY PUTTING
    FIVE QUARTS WITH FILTER IN MY MOTOR AT CHANGES BUT NOT USING THE FULL MARK ANYMORE . F.Y.I
    JUST CURIOUS IF ANYBODY HAS HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE.
  • ccovey1ccovey1 Member Posts: 1
    Taco owners,

My 2005 A/C (4x4) is due for the 90,000 service. I just called dealer. Over $1,000! Does anyone have good advice on how to handle this? I'm ok with changing my own oil, but timing belt, spark plugs the the transmission/coolant systems scare me some.

Thanks
  • steve8142steve8142 Member Posts: 2
    My '05 Tacoma 4X4 has 58k miles and recently started making a growl or loud humming noise from somewhere in the driveline. It begins at around 30mph and gets louder as you drive faster. The dealer changed the rear diff., but the that didn't correct the problem. This truck has always been noisy (excessive wind & road noise) so it's very hard to determine where the growl is coming from. Also, now the dealer says they have no idea what the cause is and don't want the truck back to try to fix it. Has anyone had a similar problem? The dealer doesn't think it's a wheel bearing.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    Steve:
    There is TSB on this condition. Go to the NHTSA web site and type in your trucks info then look under the TSB section or ask your Toyota dealer about the Technical service bulletin
  • steve8142steve8142 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, but I could only find the tsb referring to the differential. My dealership already replace that & it didn't help at all. Was there a different tsb out there?
  • scottc3scottc3 Member Posts: 137
    Hey Guys,

I'm getting conflicting information if my 2005 Tacoma needs a timing chain / belt replacement. I've been to several shops and one guy, who seemed to know what he was doing lifted the hood and checked the motor code, 1GR-FE. He told me between 2004 and 2005 there was a motor change, going from belts to chain on the 'timing chain', along with other changes. He mentioned the new engine, 1GR-FE, has a chain, and does not need to be replaced until about 150K miles. I'm wanting to confirm this information in anyone KNOWS. I'd like someone out there that really knows these Tacoma's and has facts about this.

Also, I don't have my service book, can someone outline what should be done at the 90K service? I'm thinking plugs, radiator flush, transmission flush, ...??

Thanks

Scott
    Certainly sounds like a bearing. Have you had someone ride in the back while you drive? There's a bearing between the two parts of the drive shaft that might be the culprit (forget what it's called). Also, I'd either escalate, go to a different dealer, or go to a competent, non-Toyota mechanic to see if they can figure it out. You're about to exceed your 60k driveline warranty, so I'd act quickly.
  • speedingspazspeedingspaz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 tacoma just turned 90000.I took it in for service had clutch kit put in, tranny service, rear main seal replaced (since we were there)I changed the oil,cleaned air filter(cold air intake)and radiator flush.Mine also has a timing chain and I too was told not to worry about it til 150,000 or if it was making noises before it needed replaced.