Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier BMW X3 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ramarulramramarulram Member Posts: 7
    I got the new car at $500 over invoice, which no other dealer in my area matched...:-)
  • wow73wow73 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to pull the trigger nd order a 2011 X3 28. I'm impressed but considering the X3turbo.

Has any one found it quieter on accelerating than the 28i?

Also, which dealer took an order for $500 / invoice.

Appreicate any feedback
  • fllcfllc Member Posts: 37
    Looking at leasing the 2011 X3 28i, with premium, technology, convenience packages - MSRP 46,675. I would only need 10k, but would like to know for 12k too. My current BWM lease is up Sept. 2011.

What should I seek as the buy price? What is the money factor and residual that I should seek? Payment?

Please help! I want to get the best deal possible. Located in Florida. Thanks.
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    I got a bunch of online quotes in the San Francisco Bay Area before ordering a new X3. Best price was at BMW of Monterey. Ask for Stephen Caron. Apparently BMW of Monterey is not subject to Maco fees so they can go a bit lower than other Bay Area dealers.
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    As far as the price you pay, you should be able to get $1K above the Edmunds invoice, if not better. If you already know the car you want, get multiple online quotes and negotiate that way. Focus on invoice, not MSRP.
  • rags4026rags4026 Member Posts: 17
    I had a question about the pricing of X3 vs the pricing of 535i/X5 35i.
    X3 35i starts at $41k and fully loaded is around $50k. An 535i/X5 35i starts at around $50k without any options and a fully loaded 535i/X5 35i costs around $70k. Why is it that there such a huge difference. A base 535i/X5 35i costs almost the same as a fully loaded X3?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Most people would compare an X3 to a 335, not a 535...

X5 = 535

X3 = 335

It's not apples to apples either way, but I think you put a pomegranate in there.... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rags4026rags4026 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks kyfdx,
    I didn't think that way. A fully loaded X3's price matches with a fully loaded 335. :)
  • andoza2andoza2 Member Posts: 1
    hi, i am thinking about purchasing the new x3 2.8., and i was wondering if you got it on a really good deal like that you can help me,..
    thank you
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    The BMW stores in the Dallas-Fort Worth area have very few X3s between them. Nevertheless, you might try Autobahn BMW in Fort Worth Texas. They have higher customer satisfaction scores than the others. I think a really "good deal" could be possible if each dealer had, say, 40 in stock. So far inventory has been in the single digits.
  • rnmtrnmt Member Posts: 11
    Purchased 2012 BMW X3 28i (ordered on Sept 13, delivery at Performance Delivery Center in Spartanburg SC - BMW factory - October 20 - would highly recommend) with the following options:

Premium, convenience, sport activity, cold weather, and technology packages, BMW apps, brushed aluminum, chestnut brown leather, Bluewater metallic exterior

MSRP $49,125
    Sales price: $46,280
    Acquisition fee $725
    doc fee $195
    Due at signing 1st payment and registration
    $759.13/month
    0.00195 money factor
    Residual 55%
    15,000 miles/year
  • jginjgin Member Posts: 1
    Is this a good deal?

2012 x3 28i black sapphire metallic;
    black nevada leather (maybe, maybe not but included in price);
    cold weather
    convenience
    dynamic handling
    rear-view camera
    park distance control

MSRP - 44,675
    TMV - 44,119

sales tax 5.5%

Concern about the leaks and wind-noise!

Thanks!
  • jmorsjmors Member Posts: 6
    How does this deal sound?

2012 X3 28i
    Metallic paint
    Tech Package
    Premium Package
    Destination

MSRP: $44,925
    Sale price: $42,000

36 month lease (10k miles/yr):
    $3415 due at signing (includes 1st payment and taxes)
    $572/month

Residual is $26,056 (58%)

Is there more room here? I pretty sure there is by the reaction of the sales rep when I got up to leave, but I'm wondering how much lower I can get it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • johnsmsjohnsms Member Posts: 1
    Planning to buy a new X3. I am getting 2,500 below the MSRP price for 2012 X3. Is this a good deal, or can it go further down
  • gregbmwjonesgregbmwjones Member Posts: 9
    Depends on what packages the car has. What is the MSRP? Which dealer are you shopping?
  • akbcakbc Member Posts: 1
    I'm strongly considering becoming a first time BMW customer and looking at X3. Lives in metro-NYC and seem that NY dealers are generally best option for price given capped documentation fees. Long Island and other outlying NY suburban dealers appear to be the best on price.

What I can't really figure out, is what negotiating leverage is. AmEx buying program has some dealers willing to quote at $600 over invoice and the lowest I have see is $500 over. Consumer Reports suggests that dealer holdbacks can allow as much as a $1,000 swing below invoice, for dealers to break even

Inventory is limited but new order lead times appear to be in the 3-6 week range. I understand this is a very popular SUV and that leverage may be in dealers' favor but does anyone have tips on what I might be missing?
  • carfusscarfuss Member Posts: 1
    I am getting quotes in the Chicago area for a 2011 or 2012 BMW X3 28i, silver ext, black interior, premium pkg, convenience pkg, climate pkg, and park distance control. When I build at BMW USA, I get a MRSP of $44,875. I am a current BMW owner. What should I negotiate for this car. Also, what should I negotiate for the lease for lease factor and residual for 36 mts $12k miles. Thanks!
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    carsdirect.com
    bjs.com

They might quote you dealer that are further away but then you can take the number to local and see if they'll match it. If not, you can decide if the loaner service of the local dealer is worth the difference. I got my 2011 a few months ago for $1k over invoice.

Also join bmwcca.org club, after 1 year of membership you can get $500 back for buying X3.
  • waitoneminutewaitoneminute Member Posts: 1
    My X3 3.0 has 43,0 miles and I 4 year warranty is up next week. I wish I knew what the top price would be if I sold it. If I could get top dollar for it I would upgrade to a new X3 28i. Took one for a short ride, but not sure if it drives as nice as the one I have. I love me present X3 and it rides like a top. The new model doesn't seem to have that same feel in the ride and visibility is bad? Does anyone have a 2012 already. I was wondering if you liked it. Only took a demo for test ride as dealers have not received many so far. I wanted to trade up in a week.
  • gregbmwjonesgregbmwjones Member Posts: 9
    I've driven the older model vs brand new model back to back and think the new model is much nicer. It could be that you have a different suspension package or just different tires or even seats can make a difference. Consult kbb.com for pricing. You are unlikely to get private party value if you sell it yourself, since you cannot offer financing or a warranty. Look at trade in values.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    There is a "Real World Trade in Values" thread on town hall where they'll give you a pretty accurate value of your X3's value as long as you give a very detailed description. Selling a car privately can be a hassle if it is over a certain dollar amount (maybe $10K) which your X3 is worth more.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• blueroadsterblueroadster Member Posts: 1
    2012 X3 28i:

Metallic paint
    Cold Weather Package
    Tech Package
    Premium Package
    Destination

MSRP: $45,625
    Purchase price: $42,250

No trade-in, no financing.

Given how fast these are flying off the shelves right now, I don't think I could have gotten any lower.

I currently have an M Roadster, which I am absolutely keeping.
  • asun911asun911 Member Posts: 3
    Carman,

I am considering purchasing a 2012 X3 3.5. I reside in the Dallas area. Can you tell me what the current incentives/rebates are for this vehicle. I saw on Edmunds $1000 loyalty cash back and on another website $455 Option Credit? Also if the MSRP of the X3 is $55,125. With the current market supply/demand, incentives, dealer holdback, would a good deal for the purchase price be below invoice? The invoice of the vehicle I'm interested in is: $50,715. Reading some of the other recent posts, I'm seeing some people negotiating below invoice. And is it really ture the best time to negotiate the best deal is on the last Saturday of the month, or even better, the last Saturday or week in December because the dealers need to make their sales quotas. Thanks Carman.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    ends 1/2/2012.
  • artchickartchick Member Posts: 7
    YUP!
  • coltrane1coltrane1 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone know what money facotor/residual is for a 2012 X3? Also, what should i be oaying for a 36 month 12k/yr lease- want tioput as little down as possible. thx
  • radoncgsradoncgs Member Posts: 60
    hi, wondering is you have purchased the X3 3.5 yet. just wondering if the EPA gas mileage numbers hold true. thanks.
    Hi, just wondering if anybody used the Costo Auto Program purchasing X3 and how does it work? thanks.
  • dlcole76054dlcole76054 Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2012
    Anyone custom order an X3 and go to Spartensburg, SC to take delivery? I just got turned on to the X3 from a Consumer's Report on the qualify, etc. Looking at a 3i with special paint and a lot of options. Seems to be a wonderful car for 2012, with great gas mileage.
  • rnmtrnmt Member Posts: 11
    I did and i could not be happier about my choice. I custom ordered my car, took about 30 days to build it and picked it up in SC. The experience at the BMW center when you decide to take delivery in SC is worth it alone. The car itself is awesome.
  • btpd327btpd327 Member Posts: 9
    Just ordered a new 2012 BMW x3 2.8i with the following options
    Space Gray with Oyster Navada Leather
    Premium Package
    Cold Weather package
    Convenience Package
    Technology Package
    MSRP $47,595
    My dealer said $44,900......lease in NJ with all taxes....$4000 down, 15K Miles a year for $645 a month 36 month. Is this a good deal ?? Loyal BMW owner
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new small luxury SUV (like a X3, Q5 and RX 350) recently. If you are interested in sharing your story, please respond to pr@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012. Please send your contact info, the name of the make/model you bought and a few examples of models that you also considered.
  • ychang77ychang77 Member Posts: 31
    This is the following quote I got from a CA dealership:

MSRP $39,895.00
    Selling Price $38,315.00 plus fees
    36 months
    10,000 miles a year
    $640.15 cash down
    Monthly pymt including tax=$631.40
    MF=1.95
    Residual: $23,139.10

Is it me or does the monthly payment seem super high?? I guess the selling price is at midpoint between invoice and MSRP so I am sure there is room to work with. Is anyone getting these cars at or below invoice?
    Is the Costco program price offered at invoice price? Maybe worth a try.
  • ssethiyassethiya Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at X3 3.5i and have negotiated a price for 50,950 for the following configuration. Paper work no yet done...

X3 3.5i
    Black Saphhire
    Black Nevada Interior
    Tech Pkg
    Premum Pkg
    Premium Audio
    Sports Act Pkg
    cold Weather I/II
    BMW Apps

MSRP is 54,895. Good deal? Comments?
  • stactumstactum Member Posts: 39
    I requested a quote using costco program and the quote I was given was way too high. About 1K over invoice shown on Edmunds (edmunds doesn't take into consideration ad fees that dealer include).

So ended up talking with other dealers without costco pricing and was able to negotiate way better deal.
    Hi, I am receiving some quotes in WI and IL for the following configuration (this is 2013 configuration ordered fromt he factory):

2013 X3 xDrive28i (with N20 engine!)
    Mineral Silver Metallic paint
    Oyster Nevada Leather
    Cold Weather Package
    Panoramic Moonroof
    Comfort Access Key
    MSRP: $43,945 (including $895 destination)

Best offer so far: $41,495 (no fees) + TTL

Let me know what you think?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    $2500 off already? Not bad..

No thought of taking delivery of a current 2012 with the six-cylinder?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• sleepybubbasleepybubba Member Posts: 61
    What state are you in? I also start looking for a new car and X3 is on my short list.
    I am in WI, but dealers in WI would maximum discount $1800. So I was talking to multiple dealers in IL and they all are way more negotiable. So I ended up placing an order yesterday for the following:

2013 X3 xDrive28i
    Mineral Silver Metallic paint (A14)
    Leather Package (Oyster Nevada LUCX)
    Cold Weather Package (ZCW)
    Panoramic Moonroof (402)
    Comfort Access Keyless Entry (322)
    MSRP: $43,945 (including $895 destination)

Sale price: $41,250 + TTL
    After I placed an order (see my post above) I ended up matching deal from another dealer which ends up being even better, so basically it is:

2013 X3 xDrive28i
    Mineral Silver Metallic paint (A14)
    Premium Package (Oyster Leather LUCX, Brushed Aluminum Trim 4AD) ZPP
    Cold Weather Package (ZCW)
    Comfort Access Keyless Entry (322)
    MSRP: $44,595 (including $895 destination)

Sale Price: $41,450 + TTL

It's about $3,145 discount (about 7.1%) off msrp
  • kwaker9299kwaker9299 Member Posts: 1
    I just started my car search, and saw this vehicle today (link below). Please let me know what you think of it? What price would you negotiate for? Thanks!

Please see this link:
    http://www.edmunds.com/inventory/used/vin.html?vin=5UXWX5C53BL700394&radius=50&m- ake=BMW&model=X3&year=2011&defaultType=&mode=&invtype=USED
  • gauravgulatigauravgulati Member Posts: 6
    Hey Stactum,

I'm in Green Bay area & planning on buying 2013 X3 28i. I test drove the 2012 one, but the Vermillion Red with my options wasn't available and that's when the Salesman told me about the 2013 X3 w/4-cyl turbo coming in Apr/2012. So, I'm waiting to test drive it.

However, I would definitely like to know more about the dealers you contacted for your 2013 X3 28i quotes. Bergstrom in Appleton, WI is the closest dealership for me. However, the next closest dealership is in Milwaukee/Madison. So, I don't think there would be much negotiation @Appleton dealer.

My main concern is - If I get a good deal from a far away dealer (say Chicago, IL) - I'll still have to come to the Bergstrom, Appleton dealer for the maintenance. Won't they make my life difficult if I ever end up buying from other dealers?

Here's the config I'm looking for:

X3 28iDrive
    Premium pkg (Vermillion Red+Mohave or Oyester leather+Siena line wood)
    Cold Wthr pkg
    Conv. pkg (Mainly Xenon Headlights & comfort key)
    Tech. Pkg ( I want everything in Tech pkg other than Nav., and m not sure if I can get Bluetooth + USB without Nav.)

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks
  • dlcole76054dlcole76054 Member Posts: 21
    From that I'm reading, about 7 to 7.1% is about the max anyone's getting off MSRP. I'm looking at ordering a 2013 for Factory Delivery in SC. I'll have to see if the 3 dealers in the DFW, Texas area will go 7+% off MSRP. My MSRP will be over $60k for a X3 xDrive 35i. Pretty much loaded... no trade, now BMW financing as I can go better at my Credit Union.

Has anyone done better than 7.1% off?
    I spoke with Concours and International in MKE, Zimbrick, and bunch of dealers at IL (Knauz - since they are part of costco program but it's $1K over invoice, Patrick BMW, Motor Werke, and lots of others).

MKE dealers offered me 1500 off MSRP and I test drove 2012 X3 at both. Concours was very strict with pricing, International seemed very strict but after I told them that I got one from IL they said: "too bad you didn't give us a chance to match the offer, woud've saved you a trip to Chicago" - so if you are getting some good offers from IL - it will be worth asking local dealers including Appleton to match the offer. For them sale is a sale, and even though they may not make money off your sale - it gives them volume.

I ended up getting at Motor Werke, but Patrick BMW was in the running also. MW gave me no BS offer right from the bat, and then matched Patrick BMW matching. Fun negotiations!

Also, I don't think it matters where you get your car and where you service it since service doesn't necessarily care where the car was purchased.

Good luck negotiating!
    7.1% puts it at about invoice. There is 7% markup on the car and 9% markup on packages and accessories.
    I am sure you can get better discount if you get outgoing model year or something from dealer's lot. Any special order for upcoming model year with 7% discount seems pretty good deal. Also have to consider any kind of incentives from BMW for upcoming MY, but I don't think there will be good ones, maybe just APR.
    edited April 2012
    Thanks much for sharing your experience. I e-mailed for Quotes from all dealers within 250mi of me and it includes all the names you've listed above =))

I also have Costco Membership...would try that with Knauz. Some great tips, man (given that negotiations can be a pain).

Would it be OK for me to use your contact as Referral when reaching out to the dealers you listed above (esp. Werke)?

I plugged in my specs in Truecar.com & this is what I got:

Premium Pkg - Tech. Pkg - Convenience Pkg - Cold Weather I Pkg

Vermillion Red - Nevada Mohave Leather trim - Fineline Wave Wood trim
    Aluminum Roof Rails

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Dealer Factory MSRP
    BASE 35,420 35,420 38,500
    Holdback 1,101 n/a n/a
    Dealer 0 n/a n/a
    Incentives
    Regional 500 500 n/a
    Ad Fee
    Dest. Fee 895 895 895
    Cust. Incentive 0 n/a n/a
    TOTAL 44,315 45,415 48,845

Based on the above, I'm thinking 46-46,500 + TTL should be a fair price. What say?
  • larryxularryxu Member Posts: 2
    May I ask the Sale Price is pre-tax or plus-tax? In other words, is your OTD $41250? Thanks.
    @Larryxu

Stactum's post clearly mentions "Sale Price: $41,450 + TTL" (TTL - Tax, Title, License/Registration)

MSRP: $44,595 (including $895 destination)

Sale Price: $41,450 + TTL

It's about $3,145 discount (about 7.1%) off msrp

Hope this helps.
  • larryxularryxu Member Posts: 2
    Sorry still a bit confused. '$41,450 + TTL' means $41,450 is plus TTL (TTL included in $41,450, so the final price paid as OTD is $41,450) or the sale price is $41,450 without TTL (so the final OTD paid should be $41,450 + some more dollars for TTL)?